Lá Fhéile Phádraig sona dhaoibh!

posted at 8:05 am on March 17, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The post title says Happy St. Patrick’s Day to y’all as Gaeilge, in the Irish language.  I used to speak it almost conversationally (not fluently), but blogging has more or less kept me from picking up my studies in the last few years.  It’s truly a beautiful language, and the Twin Cities is blessed to have an organization that works hard to keep the language alive: Gaeltacht Minnesota.  In fact, I see they’ll be having their annual all-day spring workshop on May 2nd — not a bad time to jump back into the effort.

Here’s a joke you can use to impress your friends, sent to me by the Admiral Emeritus.  Let’s see if you can figure out what’s being said in Irish:

An Irishman walking through a field in Ireland sees a man drinking water from a pond with his hand.

The Irishman shouts “Na ól an t-uisce, tá sé lán de chac bo!”

The man yells back “I’m English, speak English, I don’t understand you”.

The Irishman shouts back “Use both hands, you’ll get more in.”

So what did the Irishman say?  You’ll have to watch the Dubliners sing “Whiskey in the Jar” first, as I have the answer in white text just below the video; click and drag over the last line to reveal it, but take your best guess in the comments first.  Have a lovely St. Patrick’s Day, and remember when you party tonight, the idea is to wear green, not to turn green, so be careful out there.

Answer: Don’t drink the water — it’s full of cow dung!

Comments

very very funny. Since my case of ODS has been elevating any comedic relief is appreciated.

Ricki on March 17, 2009 at 8:15 AM

It’s basically “Don’t drink that water; the cows have crapped in it!”

No I don’t speak it but the joke exists in German also.

“Trink das wasser nicht! Die Kuhen hat in der wasser geschist!” or something close to that…

TASS71 on March 17, 2009 at 8:15 AM

And Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you from River Street, Savannah Ga.

Amadeus on March 17, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Top o’ the morning to ya, Ed.

You’ll have to watch the Dubliners sing “Whiskey in the Jar” first

I prefer this version.

Bigfoot on March 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM

I like the Metallica version better, but since my wife is an Irish-woman, I’ll defer to the Dubliners for today.

Bishop on March 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM

While I’m not Irish, I’ve always enjoyed Irish folk music and music influenced by it.

Doubtless many of you are familiar with the Canadian band Great Big Sea. In addition to their mainstream hits like “Consequence Free” (every liberal’s theme song) they do several songs with Irish influence such as “Scolding Wife”, “Gideon Brown” and “The Night Pat Murphy Died”. Despite their clear Leftyness I still recommend them if you enjoy folksy music with Irish (and English and French) influence.

wearyman on March 17, 2009 at 8:18 AM

What’s Irish & stays out all night?
Patty O’Furniture!
Ba dum bum

jgapinoy on March 17, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Question for Ed:

And not a stupid one, I hope. Is the same Gaelic spoke in Ireland and Scotland or are they different?

BigD on March 17, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I heard this song for the first time on a Thin Lizzy album. Metallica did a passable cover of the Thin Lizzy version, if you’re into that sort of thing, but the traditional Irish folk is the best.

I love Celtic music too. Accuradio.com has a Celtic station that I listen to frequently, especially if I need to defrag the synapses. Thanks Ed, I enjoyed this video.

No I’m not Irish. I read Angela’s Ashes, Tis and Teacher Man, though.

pugwriter on March 17, 2009 at 8:21 AM

“Don’t drink that water; the cows have crapped in it!”

Better than a crap sandwhich, I guess.

jgapinoy on March 17, 2009 at 8:22 AM

I prefer this version.

Bigfoot on March 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Cindy Munford on March 17, 2009 at 8:24 AM

It is sad that the only real memory I took out of Dublin in 2004 was a seeing a radical leftist protest gathering over Bush visiting Ireland in front of City Hall.

V-rod on March 17, 2009 at 8:27 AM

To honor the occasion, President Obama has promised not to tell any lies all day. He’ll simply regale us with a load of blarney.

jgapinoy on March 17, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Yup on the cows have crapped in it.

And I believe that Scottish Gaelic is different than Irish Gaelic, part of the same family, but distinct.

rbj on March 17, 2009 at 8:28 AM

I love the headline.

gstefmvovgecejxocxtmrtxfscvwjnswocxuvb

Got it!

Coronagold on March 17, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Scottish Gaelic is different than Irish Gaelic

I remember visting England as a boy.
Once when we were up on a hillside town overlooking a larger city, our host told us about “the funny accent they have down there”.
A few miles away, but different accents–go figure!

jgapinoy on March 17, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Today is seriously a Massachusetts State holiday. All the State employees have the day off and public schools in Boston are closed. It’s what we call the highest of the high-hack holidays. They couldn’t call it Saint Patrick’s day so the call it Evacuation day – the day George Washington chased the British out of Boston.

TheBigOldDog on March 17, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Question for Ed:

BigD on March 17, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Not stupid at all! In fact, they’re quite different, but closely related. Irish Gaeilge and Scots Gaelic are both endangered languages, but Irish a bit more so. Irish also has several dialects within Ireland, which makes it a bit more challenging. I believe Scots Gaelic is not as prone to dialect issues.

Ed Morrissey on March 17, 2009 at 8:39 AM

My quess: “Don’t drink that, it’s connected to the sewer line.”

RedSoxNation on March 17, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Hey rbj — thanks.

BigD on March 17, 2009 at 8:39 AM

A fun short history of the real St. Patrick:

jgapinoy on March 17, 2009 at 8:40 AM

I was close…very funny…

RedSoxNation on March 17, 2009 at 8:43 AM

I believe Scots Gaelic is not as prone to dialect issues.

Ed Morrissey on March 17, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Thanks, Ed.

Puts me in mind of a favorite movie — I Know Where I’m Going (1946) — where Wendy Hiller, in Scotland for the first time, asks “Is that Gaelic you’re talking?” And the man responds, “Aye, what would it be but the Gaelic?”

BigD on March 17, 2009 at 8:44 AM

If you want to be totally confused after asking a question, ask a liberal lawyer or legislator.

If you’re looking for a simple, short, and staight-forward answer from the same question, ask an Irishman.

(unless you’re in a pub on St. Patrick’s Day where the second version gets interrupted by a “let me buy you a drink” along the way)

Rovin on March 17, 2009 at 8:44 AM

That is a horrible, drunken, lyrically mis-sung version of Whiskey in the Jar.

No video, just a better audio version of Dubliners singing this Irish classic also covered by Thin Lizzy and Metallica.

Of course, for the ultimate Irish musical video I would have to nominate The Pogues joining the Dubliners in a rousing rendition of ‘The Irish Rover‘.

Mr Purple on March 17, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Happy St. Patrick’s Day from ‘Gaston Street’ in beautiful downtown Savannah, Ga. Well, the city is…the weather at the present time, isn’t. (beautiful) Nonetheless, heading to the parade in about an hour.

“Amadeus” I applude your intestional fortitude for braving “River Street.”(been there, done that many times) If and when you see the ‘tugboats’ docking and undocking the ships, think of me…I used to be (retired) a tugboat captain on the “Savannah River.” “Erin go Bragh!”

JoeySlippers on March 17, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Here is one of my favorite Irish tunes.. performed by the Chieftains and Alison Krauss…whose angelic voice brings out the best in any music she lends herself to….

enjoy

theblacksheepwasright on March 17, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Ed -

As a dual Irish citizen celebrating his birthday today – just wanted to add there has been a huge resurgance in the Irish Gaelic native tongue, for about 10-15 years now. It coincides with the Celtic Tiger economic success – and the “returning of emigrants – for National Irish pride”

Odie1941 on March 17, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Didn’t work… let’s try again

theblacksheepwasright on March 17, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Mr Purple on March 17, 2009 at 8:44 AM

At least Shane McGowan didn’t puke all over the audience in this rendition.

Bishop on March 17, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Thanks for the lively tewn, Edward me laddie…;)

surrounded on March 17, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Today is the one day that I enjoy having red hair, green eyes, and freckled skin. I don’t know that I have any Irish blood in me, at least going back 4 generations, but it’s fun to use St. Patrick’s Day to pretend I do!

It’s raining for the 5th day in my neck of the woods, so I’m hoping everyone else out there has a nicer day than I’ll have (I have outdoor work to do!).

Anna on March 17, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Bishop on March 17, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I heard he was gonna get them choppers fixed up last year. Haven’t heard anything since.

I never really got into the Pogues, but I think it’s cool that Shane has real respect for the Irish folk songs.

Mr Purple on March 17, 2009 at 9:01 AM

It’s a little known fact that Saint Patrick is actually the patron of two nations. It is common knowledge that one is, of course, Ireland. Can you guess the other; it’s non intuitive…

The answer is…Nigeria!?!

It seems that as the British Empire was expanding, they shipped some impressed Irishmen to Nigeria to look after the crown’s new holdings. Naturally, missionaries accompanied the military and bureaucratic folks. So, as a result of all the proselytizing and social forces, many Nigerians adopted both Christianity and Saint Patrick as their patron; particularly the Ibo people in the southern part of the country…

Kinda gives a whole new heft to the turn of the phrase, Black Irish

And that’s no blarney!

It’s too bad I can’t say the same about our black Irish President, Mr. O’bama…

I mean, that Irish band, whose video Ed posted a while back, said so in their ballad, eh..?

O’Leary, O’Reilly, O’Hare and O’Hara,
There’s no one as Irish as Barack Obama

Happy Saint Patrick’s day to all!

RocketmanBob on March 17, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Anna on March 17, 2009 at 8:59 AM

That’s silly. You should be proud of your individual beauty.

I think freckles are cute, green eyes are mysterious and red hair is exotic.

Mr Purple on March 17, 2009 at 9:03 AM

RocketmanBob on March 17, 2009 at 9:01 AM

I thought he lured all the snakes out of Ireland?

Mr Purple on March 17, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Good Morning!

To get everyone in the proper mood, here’s the Chieftains and the Corrs.

To celebrate, I’m going to smoke a pack of cigarettes, drink a pint of whiskey, a pint of bitter, and get my wife pregnant.

/sarc

Time to watch John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara in “The Quiet Man”.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 17, 2009 at 9:07 AM

and in April will be Patriot’s day so the hacks don’t have to work the day of the marathon and in June is Bunker Hill Day so they have another day off. The only month the hackarama doesn’t have a holiday is August because it is the summer and there are weeks and weeks of vacation days to use.

Ricki on March 17, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Best version of Danny Boy ever!

- The Cat

MirCat on March 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Sorry, lads…. Dubliner’s version is the ONLY way to sing “Whiskey in the Jar”….. today at the least. I know, I know, purist that I am. But, consider, tis an Irish tune, on an Irish holiday …. Metallica is for another time…. but , have at it if you must.

Oh, in memory of my granda….. ” Nar laga Dia do lamh, Tiocfaigh ar la!”

MNDavenotPC on March 17, 2009 at 9:14 AM

It’s truly a beautiful language

Yes, it is. At one time Fordham University’s radio station broadcast a Gaelic/English program early on Saturday mornings. I had not heard it much before that and was struck by how beautiful the spoken form sounds. Music to my ears!

muggedbyreality on March 17, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Our resident Kos Kid getalife would like to know how to say “Bush Depression!” in Gaelic. Can someone help her out?

Del Dolemonte on March 17, 2009 at 9:15 AM

O’Leary, O’Reilly, O’Hare and O’Hara,
There’s no one as Irish as Barack Obama.

Happy Saint Patrick’s day to all!

RocketmanBob on March 17, 2009 at 9:01 AM

“This video has been removed by the user.” :(

Bigfoot on March 17, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Happy St. Patrick’s Day, and death to evil serpents.

What is Obama serving at his two St. Patrick White House parties?

Kawasumi-sensei’s masterpiece features, in addition to a startlingly realistic pair of Obama futomaki rolls, Obama’s sushi face washes down with whiskey.

German frozen fried chicken “Obama Fingers” wash better with beer.

So is Sean Hannity invited to either of Obama’s St. Patrick’s Day White House parties? Has Obama offered that beer he said Hannity wouldn’t have with him? Are Obama’s White House St. Patrick’s Day parties planned to further partisanship and design the great divide between tax payers and bloated Socialist bureaucrats?

maverick muse on March 17, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Happy St. Paddy’s Day to all of youse!

And may the Devil find out you’re dead 30 minutes after you’re in Heaven.

kingsjester on March 17, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Time to watch John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara in “The Quiet Man”.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac

We have our own copy just for this evening’s occasion.

maverick muse on March 17, 2009 at 9:19 AM

The best scene in The Quiet Man.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 17, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Revisionism and Black Irish.

There is only The One.

maverick muse on March 17, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Mr Purple on March 17, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Oh, that came out a bit wrong (I had kids clamoring for the muffins I just popped in the oven). I like looking (stereotypically) Irish, unless I’m around my family – nobody has red hair, green eyes, or freckles (my family is mostly Slavic). I get a lot of “must have been switched at birth” or “Daddy was an Irish postman/milkman” jokes.

I still think I was switched at birth, but for reasons other than my genetics. : )

Anna on March 17, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Happy St. Patrick’s Day all!

You should see my little leprechaun in his Irish duds today. Man, that kid is cute.

No alcohol for me today as I have a brutal cold. I’d have phoned in sick today but that would be viewed with suspicion.

JammieWearingFool on March 17, 2009 at 9:26 AM

The best scene in The Quiet Man.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 17, 2009 at 9:20 AM

At 1:55 all I could see was Ryan Styles.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 17, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I’m 100% Irish( in heritage that is, American by birth and Irish by God) but both my mom and dad’s side have black hair and blue eyes…… as do I…. go figure.

MNDavenotPC on March 17, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Happy St. Pats to all.

Some of my favorite Irish tunes:

Woman from Wexford,
The Moonshiner,
Court’n in the Kitchen,
Tim Finnegan’s Wake,
South Australia,
Mountain Dew,
The Unicorn,
Holy Ground

And the Clancy Brothers do a great version of “This Land is Your Land”

I know – it’s a commie tune, but sounds good nonetheless.

Now in closing, my favorite Irish Joke:

How many Irishmen does it take to change a light bulb ?

2 – one to hold the bulb and one to drink until the room spins !!

moc23 on March 17, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I was traveling in Ireland on a business trip. I stopped into a small pub to ask directions.
In the pub were 4 old men. I asked in my plainest (international travel voice to disguise my Texas accent,
Excuse me can you tell me were ____ is?
They replied in Gaelic. so I said something like, Dang I don’t understand a word y’ar sayin’.

Then they laughed and said oh you’re a Yank, then in perfect English they gave me directions.

TheSitRep on March 17, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I’m personally adopted and don’t know my heritage. I’ve always assumed I might be some Irish. Had red hair as a youth and have always been drawn to the folk music of this magical land!

sabbott on March 17, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Being a proud Irishman, having heard my uncle speak in Gaelic, I can say this:

It’s no wonder people think we’re drunk all the time.

MadisonConservative on March 17, 2009 at 9:56 AM

sabbott on March 17, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Today, we are all Irish. Sooooooooooo…….get drunk, pick a fight, and sing a tune.

Here’s some songs for the day.

I personally like “The Family Way”.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 17, 2009 at 9:56 AM

man with black hat: My Obligatory Celtic Moment

“[A] few years ago, I was interviewed for a writing job by a priest [who] reminded me of what really mattered: ‘Patrick was not Irish, and on his Feast Day, we do not celebrate being Irish; we celebrate being Catholic.’

manwithblackhat on March 17, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Happy St. Patrick’s day, everyone!

My daughter and I did some research on our Irish heritage for a school paper and we found beautiful pictures of the Rock of Cashel, where my ancestors are from. Then we discovered the tales of the Red Queen of Ireland, Macha Mong Ruad, who battled in a chariot. Think Joan of Arc with flaming red hair. Then we discovered lots of Irish dancing on YouTube. I knew I was “Irish” but now I know what that means.

I love the Internet. Erin go bragh, and have a happy day.

bonnie_ on March 17, 2009 at 10:00 AM

An Irishman moves into a tiny hamlet in County Kerry, walks into the pub and

promptly orders three beers. The bartender raises his eyebrows, but serves the man three beers, which he drinks quietly at a table, alone.

An hour later, the man has finished the three beers and orders three more.

This happens yet again. The next evening the man again orders and drinks three beers at a time, several times.

Soon the entire town is whispering about the Man Who Orders Three Beers.

Finally, a week later, the bartender broaches the subject on behalf of the town. “I don’t mean to pry, but folks around here are wondering why you always order three beers?”

“Tis odd, isn’t it?” the man replies, “You see, I have two brothers, and one went to America, and the other to Australia. We promised each other that we would always order an extra two beers whenever we drank as a way of keeping up the family bond.”

The bartender and the whole town was pleased with this answer, and soon the Man Who Orders Three Beers became a local celebrity and source of pride to the hamlet, even to the extent that out-of-towners would come to watch him drink.

Then, one day, the man comes in and orders only two beers. The bartender pours them with

a heavy heart. This continues for the rest of the evening: he orders only

two beers. The word flies around town. Prayers are offered for the soul of

one of the brothers.

The next day, the bartender says to the man, “Folks around here, me first of all, want to offer condolences to you for the death of your brother. You know — the two beers and all…”

The man ponders this for a moment, then replies, “You’ll be happy to hear that my two brothers are alive and well. It’s just that I, meself, have decided to give up drinking for Lent.”

Jeff on March 17, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Hey Ed,

Seamus Heaney writes a little bit about Gaelic in the introduction to his translation of Beowulf.

If I remember correctly, he says the Gaelic word “uisce” means water, but is also the name of a river (River Uisce) up in Scotland, near the distilleries. If you sound-out the word, it is clearly the root-word for what we English-speakers call whiskey.

Maybe your local Gaelic society can tell you if I am remembering it correctly.

Anton on March 17, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Minnesota’s first language will be Arabic in 3 generations…I wonder how they’ll feel about Saint Paddy’s Day?

ex-Democrat on March 17, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Irish-bashing thread!!!

Apologetic California on March 17, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I was raised Scots-Jewish(Clan Wallace thank you) and am married to a Chicago Irishman.
He hates Irish music-I wore out my “RiverDance” VHS when I got it.
Yes. I’m confused.

Happy Forty-Second to my sis-in-law Tisha the Harpist!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 17, 2009 at 10:55 AM

It is NOT a MA holiday – it’s a Suffolk County holiday! State hacks get Evacuation Day off only if their agency has a branch in Suffolk County. (I know this ‘cuz my sister’s on the “Irish welfare” and she’s at work today.)

plum on March 17, 2009 at 11:01 AM

If you are interest in Gaelic music from many countries, try Green Linnet Records. They carry a number of great albums from the 1970s, 1980s and today.

There is nothing quite like being carried away by hearing Mairead Ní Mhaonaigh or Karen Matheson sing despite not having a clue to what they are saying.

Laurence on March 17, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Happy Saint Patrick’s Day, everyone!

I’d like to take a moment to raise awareness among Hot Air readers of a potentially fatal, yet easily diagnosed, treatable condition: Hereditary Hemochromatosis, aka The Celtic Curse.

Sorry for the PSA. Back to the festivities!

Christien on March 17, 2009 at 11:26 AM

I miss the St. Patrick’s Days of yesteryear when the family would gather around the koi pond and watch dad barbecue a leprechaun.

whitetop on March 17, 2009 at 11:31 AM

A good enuff reasons to link to Breda.

mad saint jack on March 17, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Obama and the Irish P.M. are in front of the cameras right now. I wonder if it’s possible for Obama to cause all the Irish stocks to tank whiles he’s speaking?

kingsjester on March 17, 2009 at 11:42 AM

whiles=while
oops.

kingsjester on March 17, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Related topic: Obama named Rooney ambassador to Ireland.

On topic: Happy St. Patty’s Day to my fellow “Mc”s!

Y-not on March 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

From my Irish to yours:

May those who love the Lord, love you.
And for those who don’t love you,
May the Lord give them a limp
so you can see them coming!

Ireland Forever!

Texas Gal on March 17, 2009 at 11:49 AM

“Don’t drink that I just pissed in there.”

On the one day I admit my mother’s maiden — Mulligan.

tommylotto on March 17, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I have one lone great-great granny that hailed from Ireland, but she married an Englishman and most of my genes hail from that side of the UK. But my kids are Scots-Irish, so I’ll take it.

Corned beef for dinner tonight, baby.

Bob's Kid on March 17, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Anna on March 17, 2009 at 8:59 AM
That’s silly. You should be proud of your individual beauty.

I think freckles are cute, green eyes are mysterious and red hair is exotic.

Mr Purple on March 17

The young actress in the last Transporter movie was the most freckled young lady I had ever seen and I still drool uncontrollably just thinking about her.
MCP and damned proud of it!

SKYFOX on March 17, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Best version of Danny Boy ever!

- The Cat

MirCat on March 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM

“Danny Boy” was, of course, written by an English lawyer. I’ve heard of pubs that ban the singing of it during this day, since it’s not really Irish.

Frozen Tex on March 17, 2009 at 12:35 PM

He hates Irish music-I wore out my “RiverDance” VHS when I got it.
Yes. I’m confused.

Happy Forty-Second to my sis-in-law Tisha the Harpist!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 17, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I think Mark Knopfler shares your same combined ethnicity.

mikeyboss on March 17, 2009 at 12:45 PM

That’s not whiskey, it’s horse piss

chicagojedi on March 17, 2009 at 1:05 PM

That’s not whiskey, it’s horse piss

chicagojedi on March 17, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I hope to hell you’re not referring to Jameson’s

Frozen Tex on March 17, 2009 at 1:46 PM

My favourite Dubliners song…

The Marino Waltz (live)

The Marino Waltz (recording)

aengus on March 17, 2009 at 2:13 PM

An Irishman, after a long evening in the pub, takes his friends home at closing time. As the come to his cottage, he asks his friends’ attention and informs them that his youngest son was unfortunately born without ears, and warns them not to make any mention of this to avoid hurting the lad’s tender feelings.

Upon introduction, the first says to the boy “Ah, will you look at the fine strong legs on the lad. You must always take care of your legs, for you may grow to be a fine athlete or mountain climber, and bring honor on your family and your country.”

The father nods approval.

The second shakes the lad’s hand and says “What a strong grip the young man has! You must take care of such fine hands, for you’re obviously meant to be an artist or musician with such a wonderful gift.”

The father wipes away a tear, and nods thanks to his friend.

The third guy looks deeply into the boy’s eyes and says “Oh Saints preserve us. Will you see the piercing blue eyes on this young fella. You know you must take every care of such fine eyes, for you’ve the talent to see far, and perhaps be a great statesman and scholar. And if you ever need glasses, you’re fooked.”

warbaby on March 17, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Patrick is revered by everyone on Ireland – both Catholic and Protestant – not because he brought any particular religion to the island, but rather because he brought simple, biblical Christianity.

Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!

paulbriggs on March 17, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Hubs and I love Celtic music, Irish & Scottish. My current favorite: Don’t Go For the One by Gaelic Storm. Here’s the video:

May you all be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows you’re dead! :)

March Hare on March 17, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Odie1941 on March 17, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Nothing like a bunch of pseudo Irish burbling away over what they see through their green coloured spectacles. And BTW the celtic tiger is a bit mangy now – massive unemployment and property prices collapsed…of course it’s all the fault of the English.
One other point – if you are “Scotch-Irish” that means you come from Protestant Ulster stock and your colour is Orange!!!!

callingallcomets on March 17, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Was in Ireland last year on vacation and it was by far the best one me and my wife were ever on.

One of our fondest memories was sitting in a 200+ year old pub, listening to musicians playing authentic Irish music.

DWGoodwin on March 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Neither of these guys is Irish, but they still do my favorite version of Whisky in the Jar:

Splunge on March 17, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Oops. Trying again with the link:

Link

Splunge on March 17, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Love the Whiskey In The Jar

Of course, I prefer this version:

The Fat Man Drinks Whiskey From The Jar

JohnGalt23 on March 17, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Don’t they speak Gaylick in San Francisco?

Glenn Jericho on March 17, 2009 at 10:20 PM

My great-grandmother was from Ireland, and my grandmother didn’t eat potatoes at home until after she got married. I think holding a grudge runs in the family.

darktood on March 18, 2009 at 7:40 AM