Flashback video: Obama on “sacred trust”

posted at 2:05 pm on March 17, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Our friend Jim Geraghty reminds us that all of Barack Obama’s pledges come with expiration dates — all of them.  Wounded veterans have now discovered this in a most unpleasant way.  Barack Obama wants to shove off the cost of medical care for injuries and illnesses sustained in combat in order to find $560 million in fresh revenue streams.  This amounts to just over half of what Obama just gave Hamas in Gaza to rebuild after their disastrous war with Israel this winter, and about 1/300th of what the government gave AIG in a bailout.

Obama sang a much different tune during the campaign.  In June 2008, Obama appeared at a Sioux Falls pancake breakfast to lambaste the Bush administration and John McCain for opposing Jim Webb’s GI Bill.  During that speech, given from a rostrum with the slogan “A Sacred Trust — Support Our Veterans”, Obama had this to say about caring for our wounded once back at home:

We all know that the sacred trust does not end when the uniform comes off.  That’s why it’s time to build a 21st-century VA.  No more red tape.  It’s time to give every service member electronic copies of their medical records and service records upon discharge so that they can immediately get the services that they’ve earned.  No more shortfalls.  We’ll fully fund VA health care.  No more delays.  We’ll pass on-time budgets.  No more means testing.  It’s time to allow every veteran into the VA system.

How can Obama reconcile that with this?

Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance. …

No official proposal to create such a program has been announced publicly, but veterans groups wrote a pre-emptive letter last week to President Obama voicing their opposition to the idea after hearing the plan was under consideration.

The groups also cited an increase in “third-party collections” estimated in the 2010 budget proposal — something they said could be achieved only if the Veterans Administration started billing for service-related injuries.

Asked about the proposal, Shinseki said it was under “consideration.”

“A final decision hasn’t been made yet,” he said.

It’s just another expiration date, as American Legion Commander David Rehbein discovered yesterday.

“Sacred trust”?  Words.  Just words.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

What- Obama was your senator/congressman/organizer? You poor thing, you must be really frustrated by now!

Scotsman on March 17, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Scotsman on March 17, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Here’s an epiphany-moment for y’all —
Recall those folks who, back in the day, couldn’t wait to toss ROTC off-campus ??
Any doubt who’ll be first at recruiting the new Youth Squads… ??

You saw it here.

CaveatEmpty on March 17, 2009 at 9:08 PM

/tinfoil hats on

OK, here is something that I’ve been wondering for a while and stuff like this betrayal of our servicepeople seems to corroborate…

Suppose the end objective, besides health care, is to get the friendly folks with the White armor and blue helmets on our interstates, at our airports and on every major intersection..

So, the steps would be

1. Weaken our military in every way possible such as requiring them to pay for their own health care, insurance that no one will sell them
2. Wait for a crisis (I won’t be evil and say “cause a crisis”.. Something that would cause major, but what they think would be controllable, chaos in several cities.
3. Blame the military and NG for a poor response, phone the UN and beg for their help.

Next thing you know, white armor everywhere and our 8 year old boys and girls get to learn the fine art of trading their bodies for food.

/tinfoil hats off

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 9:20 PM

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Hmmm… must have missed it when the DOW crashed below 7000 on Bush’s watch….

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Well he is quickly proving that Biden can’t be worse. but then at this point I’m not sure Pol Pot would be worse.

darktood on March 17, 2009 at 9:26 PM

darktood on March 17, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Hey, at least Darth Vader eventually went over to the good side…I’ve said before, that I’m beginning to believe you could pick any prisoner at random out of Gitmo, Dress them up and make them Potus, and THEY would have a hard time duplicating the damage done so far.

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 9:28 PM

POS Damn Filthy LIAR…my kids are grown so I can scream it as loud as I want!

Winebabe on March 17, 2009 at 9:31 PM

If only it were true this story would have legs. For crying out loud we are letting ourselves get played like fiddles because they know the hyper partisans that make up 90% of the ‘base’ will jump like rabid dogs at any raw meat without first checking to see if it is rancid.

Down with the Marxist usurper!!11

Politics is a thinking mans game and our party is seriously lacking a thoughtful strategy.

Wait for Obama to to let the outrage foment, let elected Rs get on the hate train, then slap down the RUMOR by announcing the biggest ever handout that covers everybody, vets included.

What, you’re against universal health care that covers veterans in such a cost saving way that vets are getting way better health care than the Walter Reed horror stories they will surely trot out?

What a bunch of suckers you seditious, self righteous loudmouths raging the hardest are.

barkolounger on March 17, 2009 at 10:01 PM

OT: Apparently, Obama is ending the program that lets some pilots carry guns in the cockpit.

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 10:10 PM

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Dow up today.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:11 PM

I’m sorry Sarge, I can’t walk point. My policy doesn’t cover that.

Dhuka on March 17, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Total bunk, John McCain was on Hanitty and denied this rightwing propaganda. Why doesn’t the gop just open up a Ministry of Propaganda? People don’t swallow their lies anymore, only the gop is too stupid to realize this.

athensboy on March 17, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Dow up today.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:11 PM

BFD – you never answered my other question about comparing the current price with (1) the priced on Nov 4 (AKA Red November) and (2) the price before Komrade Obama locked up the primary.

And, would you care to make any kind of a coherent comment about Barry0 making the troops pay for their war injuries with their insurance??? How do you feel about that? Do you support Obama (and thereby Cr*p on our servicepeople??)

Hmmmm

Somehow, you seem to be failing the turing test. I’m beginning to think you are a first generation kosbot that axelrod winds up once a day. Never anything of substance, just one line Democrap talking points and useless comments.

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 10:16 PM

athensboy on March 17, 2009 at 10:15 PM

They just tosss crap and see if it will stick.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:17 PM

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Speak English becker.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Dow up today.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Let me know the instant it gets back up to the lowest point of Bush’s 8 years, ‘kay?

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 10:18 PM

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 10:18 PM

So he has to beat 3300 of Bush Sr?

Done.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:20 PM

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Dow up today.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Where were you Friday? Yeah….that’s what I thought. Wimp.

ladyingray on March 17, 2009 at 10:20 PM

ladyingray on March 17, 2009 at 10:20 PM

I was here.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Yeah, we just went thru 8 years of that.

And look at the mess.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Do NOT evah say you are independent because this remakr says you LIE. You can disagree with certain Bush policies – I did – but I am a conservative.

I know, i know, you WANT to say you are libertarian..but you aren’t. Libertarian says – US Constitution provides for NOTHING except national defense..you don’t say that.

ladyingray on March 17, 2009 at 10:23 PM

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 10:18 PM

So he has to beat 3300 of Bush Sr?

Done.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:20 PM

You know, I’m not quite sure if you are ignorant or stupid.

All anyone has to do to see that your statement is bred of sheer idiocy, is to look at a 15 year graph of the dow. It has been on a steady upswing ever since Ronald Wilson Reagan unleashed the power of the individual.

However, ever since obmambi locked up the nomination, we see t massive hook and downturn.

Your comment is a complete non-sequitor.

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 10:25 PM

OBAMA IS A LIAR!!!!

RealDemocrat on March 17, 2009 at 10:28 PM

What I have to say on this issue would get me banned. I sure hope when the next president comes into office he changes this law.

For all my husband has done for this country this is the crap he gets to look forward to getting out when his times up. I only hope this can be overturned.

Brat4life on March 17, 2009 at 10:28 PM

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 10:10 PM

The Obo-embarassment doesn’t fly commercial so he doesn’t give a crap. The rest of us have to take our chances with the new terrorist-loving party in charge, What could go wrong?

mad scientist on March 17, 2009 at 10:28 PM

hey getalife. I suppose you are typing out your comments on your feelings about obama screwing those people who are giving their limbs for our country?? I’m anxiously awaiting your response.

Really, I’d like to know if you support his actions or think they are intrinsically wrong.

Hmmm????

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 10:31 PM

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Dow is up on new housing numbers.

Reaganomics has failed.

I think the Commodity Future Modernization Act that Phil Gramm slipped into legislation in 2000. Killed it.

Let it RIP.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:33 PM

RealDemocrat on March 17, 2009 at 10:34 PM

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Bush Sr. had 8 years?

How’s that adult literacy class going for ya?

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 10:34 PM

I hate those signs of his, like the “judgement to lead” one, hahha.

Idea for new sign:
“YES, IT’S TRUE
I have no idea what I’m doing”

TTheoLogan on March 17, 2009 at 10:34 PM

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 10:31 PM

athensboy on March 17, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Rebuttal?

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:35 PM

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Still no response on if you agree with obama screwing our servicepeople or not?? C’mon say what you think.

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 10:35 PM

And, if you like talking about the Dow more than the topic of the thread, maybe you could explain the rise in the ’80s?

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 10:36 PM

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 10:34 PM

That’s correct. He lost because he destroyed the economy. Seems to run in the family.

Hey, run Jeb so he can do it again.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:37 PM

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 10:36 PM

The 80′s are a little foggy.

Can’t remember.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:38 PM

The 80’s are a little foggy.

Can’t remember.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Can’t remember the ’80s, but bash Reaganomics.

Alrighty then!

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 10:41 PM

cs89 on March 17, 2009 at 10:36 PM

2009.

You betcha.

Let it RIP.

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:42 PM

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:37 PM

So, since you aren’t answering my question related to this thread let me make some assumptions

1. You didn’t serve in the military (neither did I but I worked with them)
2. You don’t see anything wrong with Obama screwing the military by forcing them to use private insurance to cover wounds sustained in the course of their duties defending our country.

Tell me if I’m wrong. Otherwise I’ll assume I’m right and consider you lower than the piles of stuff under my chicken’s butts when they roost.

You’ve been babbling nonsense about the dow. I’m asking you to make a simple statement as to if you agree with obama and his actions against our troops.

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 10:43 PM

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 10:43 PM

If you read up, it was debunked by McCain on Hannity.

I asked for a rebuttal to athensboy argument.

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 10:31 PM

athensboy on March 17, 2009 at 10:15 PM
Rebuttal?

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:35 PM

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:46 PM

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 10:46 PM

First of all, Athensboy posted something vague and I have no idea what he is referring to.

I am asking YOU.. do you or do you not agree with obama’s treatment of our troops??

Simple question.. I should take you about 2 minutes to answer.

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 11:02 PM

So Obama plans on stealing $560M from service men, so he can afford to give $900M to the Palestinians. And there is some discussion as to whether this is a reasonable policy.

This is insanity…and no, not of the Spartan sort.

18-1 on March 17, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Can this really be happening? Did we really elect this idiot to be our leader?

petunia on March 17, 2009 at 2:12 PM

So if the question was what do you get when you elected a failed community organizer raised on Alinsky and tutored by Ayers, we now know the answer.

Seriously, is Obama this incompetent or is Obama this malicious? I’m not sure which answer I prefer.

18-1 on March 17, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Obama can only say what his teleprompter tells him to say. But who tells the teleprompter what Obama the puppet is to say.

Dasher on March 17, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Dasher on March 17, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I’m not totally sure, but I think the area code of that person is 666

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Simple question.. I should take you about 2 minutes to answer.

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 11:02 PM

I really doubt the President will break his promise to the vets especially when his wife works with them.

I think this story is bs.

Clear enough?

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I think this story is bs.

Clear enough?

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 11:33 PM

So, even though the President’s man says that the issue is ‘under consideration’ you think the story is BS.

So, I have to assume that you are saying that we can’t believe an obama appointee. Am I correct?? Just how is that BS? The story is taking direct quotes from Shinola himself.

Asked about the proposal, Shinseki said it was under “consideration.”
“A final decision hasn’t been made yet,” he said.

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Well now even Huffpo and the Dems say this is a “White House proposal” as per the link in headlines. Im glad the Dems see that this is a nogo. But here is one simple little bitty fact that will stick in every veterans heart, and resonate in every family members head-OBAMA’S ADMINISTRATION SUGGESTED IT-the mere suggestion is a stab in the back to all who have served this country bravely and loyally.

canditaylor68 on March 17, 2009 at 11:48 PM

I think this story is bs.

Clear enough?

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Also, you need to take a look at the difference between “Photo OP” and “Working with”.

Gov Palin “Worked with” her NG troops when she travelled to afghanistan and met with them. The men were upset that they would miss hunting season. This was a big issue because they used the game for food for their families. She worked to get the rules changed to allow the men to hunt when they returned. That is working with them. Michelle doing a photo op doesn’t impress me one bit.

Remember, Obama is a guy who didn’t see anything wrong with throwing babies into a storeroom to die of exposure, starvation and dehyrdation. Do you really think he gives a rat’s smelly after orifice about our troops???

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Oh, and getalife, I forgot to mention that Obama is almost blood brothers with William “Bomber” ayers and his “Stick a fork in her” scumwad of a wife Dohrn.

In case you forgot, Ayer’s weather underground was plotting to blow up non coms, their dates and their wives at Fort Dix. You know, with Nail bombs. The bomb making team which included Ayer’s girlfriend blew themselvse up. I wouldn’t P*ss on ayers if he was on fire. Obama let ayers watch his kids. Do you really think he gives a flying rat’s heiner about our troops??? Next thing you’ll be telling me that Adolf Shicklegruber contributed heavily to synagogue building.

bullseye on March 17, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Disgusting.

Give close to $1 billion to our enemies, but cut costs on our heroes? There can be no more vile betrayal than this.

AT long last sir, have you no shame?

juanito on March 18, 2009 at 12:34 AM

The one will not be happy until everyone despises him.

Kids that have to go to school all year, vets without health care for battle injuries,bankers that cannot earn a living,gun owners without guns,the list goes on and on.

quax1 on March 18, 2009 at 12:37 AM

I think this story is bs.

Clear enough?

getalife on March 17, 2009 at 11:33 PM

No lobbyist. Change. Review bills for five days. (hint; budget bill). No tax hikes on anyone earning less than 250,000. No earmarks. Talk about bs.

Johan Klaus on March 18, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Let me open by saying this new policy by the Whitehose is despicable…and our active duty and veterans deserve better!
Now for my little rant, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT. Some facts ignored:

ELECTION RESULTS: President-elect Barack Obama close the gap among military voters, winning 44 percent of veterans (this should have been about 5%)

Active duty military personal donated at a rate of 6 to 1 in favor of Obama over Mccain.

And tonight your “commander-in-chief” anounced that he is going to overturn “don’t ask, don’t tell” by signing the UN gay rights declaration. Wow what’s next?

Now you guys are going to flame me, but you can’t use “hope” as a reason to vote for someone. You need to do your homework. What’s that old saying….”hope in one hand, and sh*t in the other and see which one fills up first”

JeffVader on March 18, 2009 at 1:08 AM

JeffVader on March 18, 2009 at 1:08 AM

Where did you get these these statistics?

Johan Klaus on March 18, 2009 at 1:13 AM

The good news is, when the revolution comes, the military will be on our side.

darktood on March 18, 2009 at 1:20 AM

900million of american money to GAZA terrorist and the middle finger to american vets, gawd i hope he is over in 1 term…..

AMERICAN VETERAN on March 18, 2009 at 4:50 AM

The good news is, when the revolution comes, the military will be on our side.

darktood on March 18, 2009 at 1:20 AM

I’M THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMERICAN VETERAN on March 18, 2009 at 4:52 AM

AMERICAN VETERAN on March 18, 2009 at 4:50 AM

Or less!!

Dasher on March 18, 2009 at 7:26 AM

It’s mighty fishy that the guy who says his preference is for the government to pay for health care comes out in favor of private insurance paying for it. This has to be some sort of trap — maybe to get quotes from a bunch of conservatives saying how important it is that the government pay for health benefits for military personnel. Then the trap swings shut: “if it’s so good for the military, wouldn’t it be good for everyone? I think when you spread the health around, it’s good for everybody.”

Conservatives must be very careful with their words when fighting against this.

RegularJoe on March 18, 2009 at 7:55 AM

RegularJoe on March 18, 2009 at 7:55 AM

I agree and I have come to the conclusion that this is really a “boiling the frog” way to make government run healthcare more palatable to Joe citizen.

A distinction needs to be made, however, that the veteran will receive 100% care for the injury for life and there won’t be any rationing of care for the veteran, but we know there will be rationing of care for the rest of us.

ladyingray on March 18, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Even Jon Steward gets it.

That Can’t Be Right – Veterans’ Health Insurance

JeffinSac on March 18, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Well apparently after two meetings with Veterans groups Hussein backed away from the blow torch. Piglosi is spinning like a top.

dogsoldier on March 18, 2009 at 7:54 PM