Star power: Palin to keynote big congressional GOP fundraiser

posted at 4:56 pm on March 16, 2009 by Allahpundit

Says NBC, “If there was any doubt whom the Republican Party sees as its biggest fundraiser in the post-Bush era, this news should probably end it.” They needed something strong to help wash the taste of Michael Steele’s blunders out of the base’s mouth, and this is about as strong as it gets.

Looks like Gov. Sarah Palin will continue to have a future as a Republican fundraiser. Palin will deliver the keynote address at the June 8 Senate-House Dinner in Washington, D.C. The annual dinner is a fundraiser for the Republican Party’s congressional re-election efforts.

Here’s a statement from the chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas:

“Governor Palin has quickly emerged as one of the most popular and recognizable faces in the Republican Party, and we are honored to have her deliver the keynote address at the Senate-House dinner. As a proven leader in her home state of Alaska, Gov. Palin represents a breath of fresh air from the business-as-usual crowd in Washington, and is one of our party’s up-and-coming young governors who will play a critical role in our re-building efforts in the years to come. Last fall, she electrified and energized crowds across the country, and we expect she will generate a similar amount of enthusiasm at this spring’s dinner.”

A lot of powerful people will owe her favors come 2012 if the fundraising’s strong. Question: Given her popularity and money potential with grassroots conservatives, how come Palin’s name wasn’t floated for RNC chair last year? Granted, she’s busy running Alaska, but so what? Mel Martinez was busy with the Senate when he became chair in 2007. The answer then was to give him a co-chair who could handle day to day operations while Martinez served as a public face and fundraiser for the Committee. Palin would probably do gangbusters business in the same capacity. I can only assume she was reluctant to consider it this time around because it would look unseemly to divide her attention while Alaska deals with the recession, but if she’s reelected next year and the economy comes back, she’d be a dynamite prospect to succeed Steele in 2010.

Update: Another benefit to being chair, needless to say, is forming relationships with party movers and shakers at the state level, a useful thing to have for someone planning a national run down the road.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

“Alaska Gov. Palin signs bill to hike oil tax (Reuters)”

So, you’re quoting it again.

Gonna read it this time?

(Never mind. I know the answer to that.)

notropis on March 17, 2009 at 2:35 AM

All the dumb Palintologists just keep repeating the same embarrassing propaganda over and over.

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 2:30 AM

And with the money she put in the bank she can get away with that for about five years MORON.

heshtesh on March 17, 2009 at 2:35 AM

I have to say poptech has built up quite a reserve of links to liberal rags that don’t like Palin and want to discredit what she has done for the good. To bad there are no rags that post a lot of articles about what she has done good for me to build a data base on. Sorry poptech, I don’t consider any of the sources you have listed as competent especially Reuters.

goat on March 17, 2009 at 2:38 AM

She’s done an incredible job of taking on an oil-based kleptocracy, wrestling it from the hands of an entrenched Washinngton cabal, reforming state rules and regulations, and re-negotiating treaties with foriegn nations and domestic energy interests. That ought to be enough to earn her the respect of the reformist crowd.

notropis on March 17, 2009 at 2:32 AM

All Myths:

Mean Girl (Salon)
The Truth About Sarah Palin (Rolling Stone)

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 2:42 AM

I hope Poptech has a curfew and someone to monitor him around the clock because the kind of claptrap he spews betrays a mind so dangerously out of touch with reality that I’m afraid he might hurt himself or some innocent bystander if left unsupervised.

Hey Poptech: You’re an @$$hole. And after your judgmental tirade here tonight, I’d be saying that even if I weren’t a Palin fan. Here’s hoping you get banned and we never have to read your hateful, sexist, classist B.S. ever again.

NoLeftTurn on March 17, 2009 at 2:42 AM

goat on March 17, 2009 at 2:38 AM

And here i was waiting for Poptech to quote AP and NYT.

heshtesh on March 17, 2009 at 2:42 AM

goat on March 17, 2009 at 2:38 AM

Of course, this way you can stick your fingers in your ears and just ignore reality.

NoLeftTurn on March 17, 2009 at 2:42 AM

Censorship! Just what Palintologists want because the facts are so devastating to their mythical messiah no one should be allowed to read them.

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 2:45 AM

(Salon)

(Rolling Stone)

Those are some seriously impartial sources that would convince even the most obdurate….

Just go to Effing bed.

No one will listen to you; no one cares about you; no one even likes you; even your Eagles cheerleader girlfriend thinks you’re fat and mostly unresponsive.

notropis on March 17, 2009 at 2:46 AM

No one will listen to you; no one cares about you; no one even likes you;
notropis on March 17, 2009 at 2:46 AM

Of course Palintologists will never listen they ignore reality all the time. I looked up the facts when she was first selected and have not changed my position since. To bad the truth can never be buried like you want it to be.

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 2:48 AM

“I looked up the facts when she was first selected”

It’d be one thing if you actually presented anything. As it is, your total lack of originality, and your unwillinglness to address any facts (scroll back up and remind yourself how often you’ve totally ignored the facts — or don’t, if you’re too tired and full of yourself) belies your protestations of authenticity.

notropis on March 17, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Good night i’ve endured enough intellectual stimulation from Poptech.

heshtesh on March 17, 2009 at 2:52 AM

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 2:42 AM

Salon and Rolling Stoned, Hahahahahahahahaha, puke, talk about liberal rags to pull out. I have to say this troll has built a detailed data base of liberal talking points to draw from, pretty impressive even if its deluded or should I say qualuded.

goat on March 17, 2009 at 2:52 AM

The Facts don’t change because you don’t like the source.

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 2:54 AM

Only dumb monkeys are joining Team Sarah (Amazon Yell)

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 2:15 AM

That’s rascist!

Nooo…wait…That’s sexist!

Hmmm…That’s both racist and sexist!! You lose!

/sarc

sarahpalinfan99 on March 17, 2009 at 2:54 AM

Oops, and you forgot to respond to the true test of your authenticity:

“even your Eagles cheerleader girlfriend thinks you’re fat and mostly unresponsive.”

Or did you, once again, forget about that particualr fantasy. Oh, well, you can always manipulate yourself into believing it again.

notropis on March 17, 2009 at 2:55 AM

The Facts don’t change because you don’t like the source.

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 2:54 AM

They do when the “facts” are lies meant to obfuscate the truth.

goat on March 17, 2009 at 2:56 AM

“The Facts don’t change because you don’t like the source.”

Lolololololol

notropis on March 17, 2009 at 2:56 AM

The Facts don’t change because you don’t like the source – Owned

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 2:57 AM

goat on March 17, 2009 at 2:38 AM

Please check out Conservatives4Palin.com which is one of the best blogs of record on all things Sarah Palin when you’ve got some time. They also cover topics of general interest to Conservatives as well.

sarahpalinfan99 on March 17, 2009 at 2:59 AM

sarahpalinfan99 on March 17, 2009 at 2:59 AM

And when your done reading the propaganda come back to Hot Air to get the low down from the one and only – me, myself and I.

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 3:00 AM

“The Facts don’t change because you don’t like the source – Owned”

Oh, crap. Guess I was wrong and you were right. Didn’t see the “Owned” last time.

You win.

Damn, your reasoning is unassailable. Dude (or dudette), once your Eagles cheerleader girlfriend lifts her nose from your crotch, you’re destined for a Nobel prize.

“Owned.”

Damn.

That sealed it.

notropis on March 17, 2009 at 3:02 AM

The Facts don’t change because you don’t like the source – Owned

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 2:57 AM

So you choose to own the lies of the liberal media you have linked? How come you link to nothing from here, NRO, Weekly Standard, Commentary, or even Alaska Daily News? All you link to are left wing rags suited only for fish wrap or prostitutes.

goat on March 17, 2009 at 3:03 AM

notropis on March 17, 2009 at 3:02 AM

Hey only some of us can live the life that others fantasy about with Governor Palin.

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 3:04 AM

sarahpalinfan99 on March 17, 2009 at 2:59 AM

I will

goat on March 17, 2009 at 3:05 AM

goat on March 17, 2009 at 3:03 AM

Oh Ok…

Palin Problem: She’s out of her league (National Review Online)
Palin touts stance on ‘Bridge to Nowhere,’ doesn’t note flip-flop (Anchorage Daily News)

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 3:06 AM

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 3:04 AM

Then what are you doing online on a Hot Ait thread criticizing Sarah Palin and her family for hours into the night?

goat on March 17, 2009 at 3:10 AM

goat on March 17, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Who says I’m alone? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Nighty, Night.

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Oops Air not ait

goat on March 17, 2009 at 3:11 AM

“others fantasy about with Governor Palin.”

And the rest of us try to at least get our parts of speech correct, no matter how enthused we are about the object of our fantasies.

Todd, Track and Levi get you hot, I understand. But, I’ll bet, if you try, you can work on an objective level, at least as involves your sexual attractions.

notropis on March 17, 2009 at 3:12 AM

Good riddance, have fun with your blow up doll poptech.

goat on March 17, 2009 at 3:13 AM

“your blow up doll”

Did you know that it’s a Philadelphia Eagles cheerleader doll? Because that makes him/her so much less tragic.

notropis on March 17, 2009 at 3:15 AM

I’ll be back.

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 3:16 AM

Hey notropis and Sarah Palin fan, thanks for the tagteam help. I don’t normally light into trolls but this one needed a facing down. High five to y’all!!!

goat on March 17, 2009 at 3:17 AM

I’ll be back.

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 3:16 AM

Have fun with your inflatable toy and we’ll be here when you come out from under the covers.

goat on March 17, 2009 at 3:20 AM

goat on March 17, 2009 at 3:17 AM

Any time, but SPF usually brings the facts, which are so sorely lacking.

Honestly, I don’t even know whether I’d like Palin to be president, but I just get so darned tired of the crap that the anti-Palins sling, with no regard for truth; in fact, truth has nothing to do with the sophistic games those folks throw around.

I mean, if someone actually cared about the truth, rather than playing 4th grade schoolyard games, they’d start with the 2007 Pittsburgh Tribune interview, and work their way out from there.

And they’d take a look at the amazingly complex financial picture that is the Alaska state budget.

Anyone can even understand it, much less reform it, is a financial wizard.

Palin not only reformed it, she owned it.

‘Nuff said.

notropis on March 17, 2009 at 3:43 AM

Palin not only reformed it, she owned it.

‘Nuff said.

notropis on March 17, 2009 at 3:43 AM

ROFLMAO! Alaska is a populist paradise of socialist government:

Alaska Ranks 45 of 50 States in Economic Freedom (Pacific Research Institute)
Alaska Ranks 49 of 50 States in Welfare Spending (Pacific Research Institute)

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 6:24 AM

ROFLMAO! Alaska is a populist paradise of socialist government:

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 6:24 AM

Compared to Australia?

Or Canada or any European country?

Sydney to Wasilla = 7,350 miles
Sydney to LA = 7,500 miles

Interesting. I am closer to Sarah Palin’s house than any other state except for Hawaii.

Crux Australis on March 17, 2009 at 7:11 AM

Compared to Australia?

Or Canada or any European country?

Crux Australis on March 17, 2009 at 7:11 AM

Um Australia is better than the United States and Canada is right behind us. As for Europe it depends Ireland and Switzerland are not bad.

Index of Economic Freedom (Heritage Foundation)

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 7:18 AM

You could put my saintly old mother in the chair and I still would still refuse to give to the party. I will and have given money to candidates with whom I agree and don’t believe will waste the cash. However, in fairness, I did give to Sarah’s PAC.

Mr. Grump on March 17, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Crux Australis on March 17, 2009 at 7:11 AM

I should have said Sarah Palin’s house is closer to me than any other state except for Hawaii.
Late at night here.

Crux Australis on March 17, 2009 at 8:02 AM

For what it’s worth I have an account at teamsarah.org and conservatives4palin.com. Different username though.

Sarah Palin reminds me a little of John Howard in how she connects with people. John Howard found a way of going over the heads of the MSM to make his point. Sarah will have to find a way to do this. Once she can find her way around the MSM on a national level, underestimate her at your peril.

Crux Australis on March 17, 2009 at 8:19 AM

“Romney ran against Senator Edward M. Kennedy in 1994. During a debate, Romney declared: ‘I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. I have since the time that my mom took that position when she ran in 1970 as a US Senate candidate. I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it.’ “
(NOTE: Romney has supported abortion since before the 1972 Roe v. Wade ruling!)
- Boston Globe, 3/2/2006

Video of Romney vs Kennedy 1994 debate.

Under Romney, Massachusetts’ Economic Performance Was “Weak … One Of The Worst In The Country.” “As Mitt Romney pursues his bid for the presidency, his record as Massachusetts governor will come under scrutiny, including how the state’s economy performed during his administration. Our analysis reveals a weak comparative economic performance of the state over the Romney years, one of the worst in the country.” (Andrew Sum and Joseph McLaughlin, Op-Ed, “Romney’s Economic Record,” The Boston Globe, 7/29/07)

“He [Romney] is a supporter of the federal assault weapons ban.”
Romney 2002 campaign website

Republican Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney is trying to accomplish in his final year in office what Democrats can only dream of these days: boosting government spending on and regulation of health care and requiring individuals to purchase government-designed policies. Romney’s plan, which is backed by such liberals as Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, Mass.), is being pitched as a compact between citizens and the state.
- National Review Online, 1/26/2006

TimeTraveler on March 17, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Ok guess I will be the one to say it. Governor Palin’s national political career was ruined by her oldest daughter. I think you guys are in denial about how weirded out the middle class soccer moms are about her having a kid and being unmarried. And yes, it would be worse if she had aborted it, but either way it is seen as not something admirable.

Late to the party, but I am one of those middle class soccer moms and I am not put off in the least. I’ve got the good sense to know that our kids don’t always make the choices we’d like them to make, it’s how they deal with the consequences of their actions that matter. I have no problem with the way the Palin family handled Bristol’s pregnancy. They put their money where their mouth is – they didn’t run to the nearest Planned Parenthood to deal with Bristol’s “punishment.”

citrus on March 17, 2009 at 9:00 AM

The Facts don’t change because you don’t like the source – Owned

Tard—> Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 2:57 AM

Unless you are Barry….and you dont like Rush Limbaugh, Rick Santelli, FOX News, etc etc etc…basically anyone who actually dare to speak negatively of the Messiah…

alexraye on March 17, 2009 at 10:05 AM

So, another day and another Palin thread trashed by Poptech. Just the facts, M’am — ha, ha ha. The fact is Pop only backs LOSERS. Any candidate he actually favors is doomed to fantastical failure: witness what happened to Ross Perot and Bob Barr, two candidates he claims to have voted for. Woe be to ye who receives this man’s blessing! So, I say, please Poptech, PLEASE continue to rail against Palin with all your strength for as long as you possibly can — this should ensure her success, like nothing else we could possibly imagine.

littleguy on March 17, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Poptech tries to suggest that Sarah Palin is absolutely the worst Presidential candidate of any GOP politician. For him she has absolutely no redeeming virtues, a child of the devil.

Even though I absolutely detest Hitler, I will acknowledge that he was a very persuasive speaker and was unwavering in his belief system.

Even Sarah’s worse critic at the MSM would acknowledge that Sarah has the ability to draw huge crowds and increase fundraising (even though it’s only from the base) and when I last looked it up the definition of politician that was uppermost in the list of attributes ascribed to the duties of a politician.

technopeasant on March 17, 2009 at 10:34 AM

ROFLMAO! Alaska is a populist paradise of socialist government:

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 6:24 AM

Very interesting: the same study has Massachusetts at 41st out of 50 in 2004. That would be during the Governorship of Mitt Romney, I believe. I presume, then, that Poppy would accuse Romney of presiding over a “populist paradise of socialist government”, as well. Watch out, Mitt, Poppy keeps posting your resume, which may be construed as support by him — the kiss of DEATH for candidate for the Presidency.

littleguy on March 17, 2009 at 10:38 AM

technopeasant on March 17, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Yeah it is called middle age male lust. I call it pathetic.

Among Rock-Ribbed Fans of Palin, Dudes Rule (The New York Times)

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 10:43 AM

littleguy on March 17, 2009 at 10:38 AM

LMAO, he was governor until 2007 and Mass went to 33 – Owned.

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Job Growth Under Romney “Anemic.” “‘When he talks about a turnaround, we really haven’t had a turnaround,’ said Michael J. Widmer, president of the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation, a nonpartisan organization that analyzes state economic policies. “We had a temporary fiscal respite. But we’re trailing the nation in job growth. Our job growth has been anemic.” (Pam Belluck, “Romney Candidacy Puts Massachusetts Economy In Spotlight,” The New York Times, 3/16/07

Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation: More Than $700 Million Per Year In Increased Taxes And Fees Under Romney. “Fees and taxes have increased more than $700 million a year under Governor Mitt Romney and Lieutenant Governor Kerry Healey, a leading budget specialist said yesterday. Michael J. Widmer – president of the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation, which closely tracks state finances – said the state has raised roughly $740 million to $750 million per year by increasing fees and corporate taxes gained from what the Romney administration describes as ‘closing loopholes.’” Brian Mooney, “Analyst Puts Increase In Fees, Taxes At $700m,” The Boston Globe, 9/27/06

Cato Institute: Romney’s Rhetoric On Taxes “Mostly A Myth. [R]omney will likely also be eager to push the message that he was a governor who stood by a no-new-taxes pledge. That’s mostly a myth. His first budget included no general tax increases but did include a $500 million increase in various fees. He later proposed $140 in business tax hikes through the closing of ‘loopholes’ in the tax code.” Stephen Slivinski, “Fiscal Policy Report Card On America’s Governors: 2006,” Cato Institute, 2006, p. 26

TimeTraveler on March 17, 2009 at 10:50 AM

All Myths: Fluff Pieces:

Mean Girl (Salon) Lie.
The TruthMore Lies About Sarah Palin (Rolling Stone)

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 2:42 AM

I’ve read the Salon piece, though it was hard getting through all the !!11!! off the charts invective, but the case it made was that Palin never reformed the Alaskan government. It says she was rather a cold-blooded political bounty hunter who set up powerful men, assured of her success and never doubting that she would win an election for Governor. Which is ridiculous, but whether it was political expediency or honest reforming, I really don’t care. Why don’t we see more of this in politics? And the end result speaks for itself; Alaska is rid of some crooks, and Palin runs one of the most transparent governments in the Union.

As for the Rolling Stone piece, why do I care what a music magazine says?

chunderroad on March 17, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Also, ADN says Palin has not confirmed, so it looks like the Republican Senators got ahead of themselves. They spoke with her PAC instead of her Juneau office! LOL. If her participation would mean her having to raise money for Specter, Snowe, Collins and McCain, then I’m glad she can keep her hands clean.

chunderroad on March 17, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 10:43 AM

What you call middle-age lust and pathetic is what McCain or any politician wishes he/she had more of on the campaign train and in the voting booth.

Let us not forget politicians are in the business of soliciting as many votes as they can get to win election. That is the reality of politics. It is not to be condemned or praised. it is what it is.

technopeasant on March 17, 2009 at 10:55 AM

LMAO, he was governor until 2007 and Mass went to 33 – Owned.

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Ha, Ha, Ha — and that’s like, really good on a scale of 1-50, huh? Watch out Mitt, Poppy likes you — better disavow his support before its too late!

littleguy on March 17, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Yeah it is called middle age male lust. I call it pathetic.

Among Rock-Ribbed Fans of Palin, Dudes Rule (The New York Times)

Poptech on March 17, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I call your Ross Perot Lust profoundly pathetic.

littleguy on March 17, 2009 at 11:04 AM

It seems mere mention of Sarah Palin is giving poptech a “pophead”.
These “pack mentality without an alpha to guide” crowds must be running scared,only explanation I can come up with for so many links to prove a point on pophead’s posts.

ikwill on March 17, 2009 at 1:34 PM