Quotes of the day

posted at 9:45 pm on March 14, 2009 by Allahpundit

***
“I have been teased about my weight and body figure since I was in middle school, and I decided a very long time ago to embrace what God gave me and live my life positively, attempting to set an example for other girls who may suffer with body image issues. I have nothing to hide: I am a size eight and fluctuated up to a size ten during the campaign. It’s ridiculous to even have this conversation because I am not overweight in the least and have a natural body weight…

The question remains: Why, after all this time and all the progress feminists have made, is weight still such an issue? And, in Laura’s case, why in the world would a woman raise it? Today, taking shots at a woman’s weight has become one of the last frontiers in socially accepted prejudice.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

HornetSting on March 15, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Yeah, I was trying to ignore her.

myrenovations on March 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Look, I disagree with a substantial amount of what Meghan McCain has written eaten. Largely, I chalk it up to her being young a pig, and just not having seen enough of the world a real man like The Wall to know any better.

FIFY

The Wall on March 15, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Wall, you are hilarious! Good Grace – your posts on this thread have been awesome.

btw, John Galt – how is that freshman english going – second semester is always a bi&ch? Have you made it to John Locke yet in Poly Sci 102 yet?

Branch Rickey on March 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Her daddy has led us here.

HornetSting on March 15, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Naaah, more like the self righteous idiots and crybabies who would rather have Obama wreck the country then not get their own way about everything. Being a good conservative isn’t being a lousy American.

Boxy_Brown on March 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Her daddy has led us here.

HornetSting on March 15, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Boxy_Brown on March 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Yes, yes….you must be related to our old friend, wiseman. That old argument has been beaten like a dead horse, like John McCain. We’ve moved on, you should too.
BTW, I unfortunately swallowed a couple of shots and voted for the dead horse to AVOID Obama.

HornetSting on March 15, 2009 at 4:44 PM

HornetSting on March 15, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Yeah, I was trying to ignore her.

myrenovations on March 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM

I wish the rest of the world would too. Her fifteen minutes were up on November 4, after that ‘bend you over’ speech by her daddy.

HornetSting on March 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM

HornetSting on March 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Well, we can’t agree on the Wal-Mart thing, but we can totally agree on that.

Also on the need to do a shot before voting last November. Plus, I had been to a Palin rally the day before and that kind of helped.

myrenovations on March 15, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Who is this “we” that you speak for? The people on this site? Obviously we haven’t.

“If we had a REAL conservative to vote for, we wouldn’t be living under this sh*tty regime now.”

Pesky primaries/democracy. Run for office bee guy. Show us how it’s done. I am sure Laura will back you all the way… until you say or do anything that she disagrees with… Then it will be a witty critique on your beer gut.

Boxy_Brown on March 15, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Boxy_Brown on March 15, 2009 at 4:54 PM

You’re a day late and a brain cell short to have that argument.

HornetSting on March 15, 2009 at 4:56 PM

You’re a day late and a brain cell short to have that argument.

HornetSting on March 15, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Brilliant retort. I guess the “we” you speak for is the rest of the 3rd grade recess crowd.

Boxy_Brown on March 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Cheney is one of my favorite people. Iron integrity. From pioneer stock, worked his way up, unpretentious but brilliant. He should have been president, but he´s no panderer, too blunt and taciturn to mass-produce soundbites. Too real to advertise his caring side. American to the hilt. The sort of politician that everyone says they want, but then they go and vote for a talking hat stand anyway.

el gordo on March 15, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Her dad lost to extremism. Does she really not get that?

I think her time has come-and is just about gone.

What I don’t get is why anyone who claims to be a Conservative is giving her air time?

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 15, 2009 at 5:49 PM

To deflect the damage that the idiot-in-chief is perpetrating on this nation on a daily basis, the Left is using Meghan McCain to attack an outspoken conservative, and she is a willing participant in this fraud.

Laura Ingraham is right to kick her in the ass.

TexasJew on March 14, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Then attack her on her argument and the issues.

Resorting to just making fat jokes is basically playground BS, and just makes me discount whatever else Laura has to say on this. She’s supposed to be a professional at this sort of thing, and if she can’t rise above the level of “internet message board argument style”, where it’s just ad hominem attacks in place of reasoned arguments, then why should I bother with what SHE has to say?

Vyce on March 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

I’ve just gotta say that the people who’re going after her weight absolutely make me sick. Aside from the fact that she’s not fat, even if she was fat the ONLY people who would ever have to use that to justify the point (or would ever try to justify calling her that by use of a policy difference) are the absolute bottom of the intellectual barrel. I doubt I agree with her on politics, I don’t know if I do because considering she’s just the daughter of a senator I haven’t bothered to figure out what her political stances are (nor do I care), but considering she voted for Kerry we’re probably not on the same page.
But if you’re calling someone fat to make a point, you seriously need to rethink your argument (as I can’t imagine an arguement that would rely on the premise of Meghan McCain being fat). If you think calling someone fat is justified by policy differences, then you have to seriously rethink exactly what it is you’re doing when you call someone fat. It has nothing to do with policy. If your calling someone fat it’s because you’re trying to deride that person and that you’re not very clever.

I’m not above a good fat joke, although I do think it’s important for the individual to actually be fat for it to work. I think that turning political discourse into something that you have to be willing to silently endure people calling your daughter fat because they’re too goddamn stupid to articulate an actual argument guarantees you’re going to miss out on a lot of talent who aren’t willing to put their families through that. Laura Igrahm’s show is terrible, it’s thoughtless self-gratification, and she makes America a worse place. When she dies, I hope her tombstone reads “My life was a net cost to the world”.

galenrox on March 15, 2009 at 6:48 PM

HornetSting on March 15, 2009 at 4:19 PM

So, my husband having to leave our house everyday with a gun to go to work is just for fun, right?

Odd. I’ve never thought of it as having to take my gun. I’ve always thought of it as my duty as a free man to take my gun. Of course, I guess that is sort of like having to take it, but for an altogether different reason.

We don’t enforce our laws. If someone does not respect the boundries of our country and comes over, no big deal, huh?

It’s a deal, just not that big of one.

Yes, we should enforce our border. In general, we should do what we can to discourage illegal immigration.

What we should not do is cut off our nose to spite our face. We should, IMHO, encourage legal immigration to this country, especially from Mexico. We should, IMHO, do the same we did last centruy with immigrants from Europe; set up way stations for them, make sure they aren’t criminals on the run, quarantine them to make sure they aren’t carrying disease, teach them at least rudimentary English, and then let them in if they still want to stay.

We do it that way, most of the people will try to come in legally, and the forces we have to stop illegals won’t be spread so thin.

I don’t know where you live, but where I live, the United States, the ER are overrun by illegal aliens needing to deliver their children, get medication for the sniffles, and none of it is paid back, causing the closing of many medical facilities.

Truth be told, we probably live relatively close to each other, because we face the same problems where I live. I just happen to recognize the difference between those who are here illegally, those who are here legally, and those who have been here longer than I have.

The simple fact that we are giving subsidized housing, food stamps, dental care, and schooling to people that should not even be in our country is sick.

That sums up my sentiments on the matter.

Now, what about those who come here, legally or illegally, and don’t take advantage of our social safety net? How do they compare to citizens who do take advantage of it?

Enjoy your needling of the trollscloset cases, galt. I figure someone with your name would understand…

P.S. That last remark in no way reflects on you… it is intended for… well for the closet cases I’m needling. :)

JohnGalt23 on March 15, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Branch Rickey on March 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Branch, when you have spent half the years I have teaching Locke, Rousseau, Hobbes and Machiavelli, feel free to come and talk to me.

Until then…

go get your f**kin’ shinebox, boy!!

JohnGalt23 on March 15, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I’d hit that. Many times.

wccawa on March 14, 2009 at 9:53 PM

You’re talking about Allah’s future wife, now knock it off.

Maxx on March 15, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Meghan’s not fat. She’s thin (-skinned), just like her buddy Barry O.

This is sooooo not a story.

NebCon on March 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Until then…

go get your f**kin’ shinebox, boy!!

JohnGalt23 on March 15, 2009 at 7:11 PM

“Those who can — do. Those who can’t teach.”
-Mencken
I can play the “name game” too.

Should have known you were a douchebag professor.

btw, I am not a dude! Screen name is an homage to Mr. Rickey.

TTFN Pr!ck.

Branch Rickey on March 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM

JohnGalt23 on March 15, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Very Professorial and not a bit freshman light.

/sarc off

Branch Rickey on March 15, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Branch Rickey on March 15, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Are you still talking? My shoes still need some buffing.

Less talk, more shoeshine.

JohnGalt23 on March 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM

galenrox on March 15, 2009 at 6:48 PM

one would get the sens that you are a heifer

Jamson64 on March 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Watch it, Branch Rickey, JohnGalt23 is quoting Goodfellas. Now you have to go Joe Pesci on him. The guy dies hard. Later I´ll say “You´re a funny guy” but you´re not supposed to shoot me. In the end you´re both dead and I will move to where they don´t know how to make spaghetti.

el gordo on March 15, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Speaking of John Galt, there’s a conservative website – bejohngalt.com. It has a thread on Ron Paul’s earmarks and describes him of “porking out like Meghan McCain when she goes off her diet.”

bw222 on March 15, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Jamson64 on March 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM

One would get the sense that you’re an idiot, which is why we must be tempered by reason.

galenrox on March 15, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Galenrox, McCain is overweight. Whatever that means, even if it means nothing, it’s still true that she is.

I think her reaction to Ingraham proves she’s still too green and unformed to be a deep thinker for the party, but of course your mileage may vary.

SarahW on March 16, 2009 at 3:09 AM

True, Sarah, but her reaction also proves that she didn’t even listen to Laura’s point.

Meghan had an emotional reaction based on her childhood and isn’t thinking about it logically.

BlameAmericaLast on March 16, 2009 at 3:39 AM

Oy.

Ms. McCain ought to learn – fast – that if she throws insults around, they will be thrown back at her. This is doubly true when she happens to label herself as a Republican, then seeks to throw conservatives out of the group. She’s on even shakier ground when she tries to attack Ann, Laura, or Sarah – brilliant and accomplished women who are the base of this party. Yes, Meghan, you’re going to get it back in your face, and no, it’s not going to be pretty.

Then again, the “plus-sized model” line is so easily taken out of context, and so needless, that it just gives the other side ammunition. Perhaps Laura Ingraham assumed that her intelligent, informed listeners would know that plus-sized models are normal-sized women (size 10, fit, and shapely). Even so, it still gives the Left ammunition to use against us. We’re still hearing about Rush’s comment from the ’90s about Chelsea Clinton and Janet Reno. We don’t need to give them anything else to throw in our faces; better to attack McCain on the issues, and point out that it is not the job of the Republican party to change to suit her whims, and, maybe, she ought to learn what we’re about before hating on us.

Roxeanne de Luca on March 16, 2009 at 4:36 AM

She is just disgusting to me.

Woah woah woah.

Laura isn’t that bad.

Reaps on March 16, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Seriously though, 7 pages of comments, mostly of ‘fat’ and ‘gay’ jibes.

I don’t know who to congratulate more, every who contributed or AP himself for bringing them out of the woodwork..

Reaps on March 16, 2009 at 7:26 AM

God has blessed you with thick thighs and a big ass Meghan.

workingforpigs on March 16, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Seriously though, 7 pages of comments, mostly of ‘fat’ and ‘gay’ jibes.

Reaps on March 16, 2009 at 7:26 AM

But you forgot to mention a significant number of whines about how we’re better than that, how we shouldn’t give the Left ammunition, blah, blah.

After listening to months of attacks on Gov Palin calling her a hypocrite & a bad parent because her daughter was pregnant, how she was stupid and low class, how she was trailer trash,, pardon me if I don’t get too worked up over someone calling Meghan McCain a plump wannabie.

katiejane on March 16, 2009 at 9:42 AM

So where did Meghan McCain call Sarah the martyr a “hypocrite”, “bad parent” “stupid” and “low class trailer trash”?

Should be easy enough to find that quote on Google?

Boxy_Brown on March 16, 2009 at 10:14 AM

I didn’t realize how FAT Meghan McCain is. Man that girl is FAAAATTTTT! Oink, oink Meg! Size 10? Try 18 baby!

…and how about another double chocolate malt and a pizza or two or three, Oinky?

revolution on March 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM

This is pretty bad when this incident forces me out of retirement (I never thought I would post here again).

There is a big problem with the conservative image here when Laura, with a megaphone, has to even in a sublime way, make fun of a woman’s weight.

As a straight (non-gay) guy I get castigated for making fun of a woman’s body, in ANYWAY, SHAPE OR FORM!!

Laura is fast becoming irrelevant in the true conservative moment for this the 2nd, 3rd (and even more un-fine moments depending on the math).

Somebody bigger like Rush or Hannity needs to privately excoriate her for these un-fine moments.

Meghan is obviously a twit and the MSM is going to use her as a RINO doll to pit her against any and all real conservatives, so she should be taken to the woodshed for her stupidity and vapidness.

But of course… when the Cunning-In-Chief makes fun of a woman’s weight (Jessica Simpson) then of course a semi-vapid and BITCHY person like Laura Ingraham will DEFINITELY miss the memo….

But Laura still doesn’t get my sympathies..

Mcguyver on March 16, 2009 at 2:08 PM