Video: Bill Clinton doesn’t understand human biology?

posted at 2:13 pm on March 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Jill Stanek catches Bill Clinton in a deliciously ironic illiteracy on human biology. Maybe this explains why he tried to convince the nation that oral sex was not, you know, sex:

Emphases mine:

Gupta: Let’s talk about something you talked a lot about in the early part of your presidency, stem cells. There was an order today providing federal money for embryonic stem cell research. First of all, let me just ask you, as someone who studied this, is this going to always be as divisive an issue as it is now? Is this going to be the abortion of the next generation? Or are people going to come around?

Clinton: I think – the answer is I think that we’ll work it through. If – particularly if it’s done right. If it’s obvious that we’re not taking embryos that can – that under any conceivable scenario would be used for a process that would allow them to be fertilized and become little babies, and I think if it’s obvious that we’re not talking about some science fiction cloning of human beings, then I think the American people will support this….

Gupta: Any reservations?

Clinton: I don’t know that I have any reservations, but I was – he has apparently decided to leave to the relevant professional committees the definition of which frozen embryos are basically going to be discarded, because they’re not going to be fertilized. I believe the American people believe it’s a pro-life decision to use an embryo that’s frozen and never going to be fertilized for embryonic stem cell research….

But those committees need to be really careful to make sure if they don’t want a big storm to be stirred up here, that any of the embryos that are used clearly have been placed beyond the pale of being fertilized before their use. There are a large number of embryos that we know are never going to be fertilized, where the people who are in control of them have made that clear. The research ought to be confined to those….

But there are values involved that we all ought to feel free to discuss in all scientific research. And that is the one thing that I think these committees need to make it clear that they’re not going to fool with any embryos where there’s any possibility, even if it’s somewhat remote, that they could be fertilized and become human beings.

This may be the stupidest thing I’ve heard since Phil Donohue and Vladimir Posner tried arguing a few years back that human embryos become fish and dogs before becoming humans. (Yes, they did; I watched it with my jaw trailing the floor.) Unfertilized eggs have no research value in stem cell work because they don’t produce anything; they’re genetically incomplete. Only after fertilization does an egg become an embryo.  Nor is Clinton simply making a momentary mis-speak; he repeats this no less than six times in this interview with Sanjay Gupta.

And note that Gupta — a physician who was Barack Obama’s first choice as Surgeon General — never bothers to correct Clinton.  Did Gupta miss that lesson in pre-med?

The irony, of course, springs from the fact that Clinton got impeached and nearly removed for committing perjury and obstruction of justice over his attempts to explore human biology with the West Wing staff.  If this is the level of scientific knowledge from the pro-abortion, pro-hEsc research Left, I don’t think they’ll be finding any stem cell advances regardless of whether they get federal funding.  In fact, I’m not sure Clinton could find his rear end with both hands and a flashlight after watching this.

Like Jill, I wonder whether Bill Clinton will oppose hEsc research funding when someone finally educates him on actual human biology.  I won’t hold my breath.

Comments

I don’t think he was misinformed. He’s setting up a new Meme

– The Cat

MirCat on March 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Imagine if Palin had given that interview that way!

Just imagine!

mankai on March 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM

+++1

In comparison, GWB = Wile E. Coyote; Super Genius Esq.

Go on Bill, you’re drawing attention away from how inept your current party leader is at doing the job even you could do with an intern attached.

Geministorm on March 12, 2009 at 4:16 PM

If Sarah Palin had misspoken like this, it would be proof of her colossal stupidity. But this is Slick Willie, a Rhodes Scholar, so NBFD.

The Monster on March 12, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Bill Clinton doesn’t understand human biology?

I find this hard to swallow

fulhamfc on March 12, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Stupid

Streecar on March 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I am still laughing about this and I didn’t even watch the video. Your reactions to it are just as funny. The “you can’t cure stupid” meme certainly applies here. Thanks for the laughs ladies and gentelmen. I haven’t laughed this hard in a very long time.

BetseyRoss on March 12, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Did Gupta miss that lesson in pre-med?

That would be pre-med for retards. How about high school biology at the latest.

burt on March 12, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Well, that’s not entirely wrong–Human development goes through stages that are indistinguishable from that of fish and dogs. Typically, the closer an animal is related to humans, the later the stage where development diverges.
Though, saying we actually become fish or dogs is being rather clumsy.

But Clinton? I could almost think that he was just confusing the words “fertilization” and “implantation”, but that doesn’t look like its the case.

Count to 10 on March 12, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Video’s been taken down. Old Bill still has his connections.

av8tr on March 12, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Don’t worry boys and girls, if you repeat it over and over again, people will believe it.
Just remember evolution and global warming.

maynila on March 12, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Bill didn’t by any chance mention the cabbages, did he?

unclesmrgol on March 12, 2009 at 4:53 PM

That was amazing! We all knew Clinton was a liar, but now it’s hard to believe ANYTHING he ever said. He talks with such confidence! O-M-Gosh!

jcheney on March 12, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Rhodes Scholar.

PrincipledPilgrim on March 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Come on now. With the huge lies that Obama has been telling recently, billy jeff had to come back with a whopper. He is still in the running for the democrat lieathon.

jukin on March 12, 2009 at 5:08 PM

I read this story on another site.
What led to the discussion was Gupta pointing out to Clinto that when he pointed with his finger he had a resting tremor and mentioned Parkinson Disease. Gupta is a neurosurgeon. Clinton states he had been told by his doctor he “had a test and didn’t have it”. He then (as you can see in this clip) sits with his hands between his knees. Dr. Gupta knows Clinton does indeed have signs of Parkinson and there’s no “test” to say no, you don’t have it. I just think he was going to stay mum the rest of the interview and not correct him.

Marcus on March 12, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Biology is not a friend of the pro-abortion crowd. All they need to know about biology is how to say “clump of cells”.

neuquenguy on March 12, 2009 at 5:26 PM

I can’t wait to see if Levin gets hold of this tonight, I’m sure he will have me rolling on the floor in tears.

surrounded on March 12, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I’m glad to know that “real science” will be guiding the stem cell research.

flytier on March 12, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Bill Clinton is just laying the groundwork for the future. Remember the line, “embryos are just blobs of tissue, there’s nothing wrong with aborting it because it is not yet human“

maynila on March 12, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I think this is a distinct possibility. Usually when I’m searching for a word, I find an alternate that sounds like it and hesitate in using it again, out of a sense of uncertainty that the word I’m using is the one I wanted. He used the word repeatedly and confidently.

Y-not on March 12, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I agree with President Clinton.

gridlock2 on March 12, 2009 at 5:45 PM

…Clinton got impeached and nearly removed for committing perjury and obstruction of justice over his attempts to explore human biology with his the West Wing [crooked] presidential staff.

…just saying

pain train on March 12, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Proof that Billary thinks with his little head and not the one on his shoulders.

Captain America on March 12, 2009 at 5:58 PM

He was clearly wrong in his wording, but the fact remains that the embryos which are used in stem cell research would be otherwise discarded. Excess embryos are a byproduct of reproductive medicine.

starflyer on March 12, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Just put some ice on it.

RobertInLexington on March 12, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Poor Bill is probably suffering from an excessively long cross-clamp time during bypass surgery (can you spell hypoxia?), or possibly some festering STD’s from bumping all of those trailer park hogs.

trl on March 12, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Of course many have a problem with ‘excess’ embryos being created as a result of reproductive medicine.

Also, as many have pointed out, embryos are not the only source of stem cells.

They could, if needed, obtain embryos from natural, unavoidable miscarriages if the parents are so inclined to agree. That’s my position on it.

Oh, and Bill Clinton is one disgusting, slimy individual and should be regarded by any decent person as a great embarrassment to our country.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Ed don’t be so harsh. Obviously the whole fertilization issue has been an area of great concern for the prez at various times in his life. While he may not understand the whole frozen embryo thing, he clearly understands the potential dangers of egg fertilization and the need to keep Vernon Jordan on speed dial.

moxie_neanderthal on March 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM

No, the irony is that Democrats claim to care more about science.

American Elephant on March 12, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Obviously referring to the fraudulent “evidence” for evolution exposed here:

jgapinoy on March 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Clinton isn’t looking to be scientifically accurate, any more than most abortion supporters are. Abortion isn’t a scientific issue at all, really; it’s an emotional one – “I’m pregnant and I don’t want to be pregnant anymore.” Supporters of embryonic stem cell research are just trying to put a scientific veneer over the abortion process by giving embryo destruction a “good” name. Clinton’s abysmal understanding of the fundamental underlying science of embryo development shows just how thin that veneer truly is.

inmypajamas on March 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Also, as many have pointed out, embryos are not the only source of stem cells.

Just to clarify, you can only get embryonic stem cells early in the embryonic stage. So if the pregnancy is far enough along to know you’re pregnant, you’re too far in to get embryonic stem cells. Just pointing out that miscarriages wouldn’t be a very good source for stem cells.

But there are many kinds of stem cells. A lot of research is being done using adult stem cells or even stem cells harvested from the umbilical cord. Adult stem cells can come from skin, liver, bone marrow… There’s been a lot of good work done using these cells and its been more successful than the work with embryonic stem cells.

taznar on March 12, 2009 at 11:12 PM

He’s merely exploiting the collective ignorance of the majority of Americans. The “illiteracy cartel” has done its mission.

Send_Me on March 12, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Stem cell scientist urges studying the use of aborted foetus organs:

journeyintothewhirlwind on March 12, 2009 at 11:58 PM

This belief comes from Ernst Haeckel’s drawings. A guy named Ernst Haeckel made up this whole thing back in 1869. Charlie Darwin’s book came out in 1859 but there was no evidence for his theory so this German guy named Haeckel decided to make some evidence. He took the illustrations of a dog and a human embryo at 4 weeks and made them look alike. Then he went all over Germany and convinced everybody they were real and literally turned Germany into an atheistic society. Thing is, he lied. And it was proven that he lied. He made the whole thing up. Yeah, he really blew it. Ernst Haeckel confessed to lying about this embryology thing over 100 years ago. He was convicted of fraud in 1874. But guess what. That concept is still in textbooks today. School textbooks still have it. Proven wrong in 1874.

Only after fertilization does an egg become an embryo. Nor is Clinton simply making a momentary mis-speak; he repeats this no less than six times in this interview with Sanjay Gupta.

What a great observation. Awesome post, Ed. It really is stupid isn’t it. And Sanjay Gupta didn’t say a word either. Nothing. Sigh.

apacalyps on March 13, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Paging Doctor Gupta….Doctor Gupta? Doctor Gupta? “Doctor” Gupta?

jay12 on March 13, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I think someone needs to go update Sanjay Gupta’s Wikipedia page. I took a look at it and nowhere on the site did it state that Sanjay is a Bubba-butt-smooching, leftwing moron. That needs to be fixed. I would fix it but everytime I fix a wikipedia error someone comes behind me and puts the errors right back in.

RonRockstar on March 13, 2009 at 3:35 PM