The obligatory “Democratic poll puts Limbaugh’s net favorables at -27” post

posted at 8:59 pm on March 11, 2009 by Allahpundit

C’mon, I had to post it. Three things I can’t resist: The iPhone, KP, and the prospect of an easy 200-comment thread. Don’t hate me for being weak.

Follow the link for the major data points in graph form, and note how slanted the question near the end about Huntsman and Limbaugh is. Framing the latter’s goal as “stamping out” moderates rather than, say, moving away from them is clearly designed to make respondents recoil. I’ll credit James “I certainly hope he doesn’t succeed” Carville for coming up with that one.

In fairness, their data’s not wildly different from Gallup’s poll on Limbaugh taken last month. This bit’s interesting, too:

To my surprise, more self-identified Republicans and conservatives think Rush has too much influence than too little. Safe to say that that puts righty blog readers to the right of even most “conservatives,” or do people here agree that Rush has more pull than he should?

For comparison purposes, Keith Olbermann netted a -5 in favorables among the six people who have heard of him. Check the “Target Crosstabs” at the link for the demographic breakdown. Exit question: How much of Rush’s favorables are based on what he actually says and how much are based on the media selectively soundbiting the most incendiary bits for public consumption?

Comments

They should have limited the poll to those who had actually listened to him. How could they honestly answer these questions if they only heard about his views from others?

Rose on March 11, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Rose on March 11, 2009 at 11:22 PM

That’s exactly how got the current Precedent.

thomasaur on March 11, 2009 at 11:25 PM

I’ll take the clarity that comes with polarization, thank you.

Obama the Obfuscater is beginning to be unmasked.

To late to help hapless Ol’ Johnny Mac, but hopefully in time to save the rest of our collective asses…

Bruno Strozek on March 11, 2009 at 11:35 PM

You Republicans are the arsonists who burned down our national home. You combined the failed ideologies of the Religious Right, so-called free market deregulation and the Neoconservative love of war to light a fire that has consumed America. Now you have the nerve to criticize the “architect” America just hired — President Obama — to rebuild from the ashes. You do nothing constructive, just try to hinder the one person willing and able to fix the mess you created.

getalife on March 11, 2009 at 11:37 PM

getalife on March 11, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Since you posted it are we to assume you agree with it?

kahall on March 12, 2009 at 12:28 AM

“too much influence”

I don’t understand the question. Honestly: If you don’t just want to jump to “I like Rush” or “I don’t like Rush,” what the EFF does “Too much influence” or (more especially) “Too little influence” actually mean?

And, once you’ve parsed it out for yourself, do you actually believe the respondents thought about it in the depth that you did?

I have spent many years teaching statistics, and consulting on surveys. One of the first questions I ask a client is: Do you really want to learn something useful, or are you looking for a particular result? This question falls in the latter category.

notropis on March 12, 2009 at 12:49 AM

The ideologies of the Religious Right haven’t been shown to have failed–quite the contrary.
The Bush Administration oversaw the passage of over 1,000 additional regulations to the market and did not deregulate. Big myth!
And Neo-Conservatives don’t “love” war, we just see its necessity, especially after we’ve been attacked (repeatedly. 9/11 was just the worst and on our home soil).

Now you have the nerve to criticize the “architect” America just hired — President Obama — to rebuild from the ashes. You do nothing constructive, just try to hinder the one person willing and able to fix the mess you created. getsnothingoutoflife on March 11, 2009 at 11:37 PM

NObama is neither willing nor able to “fix” the “mess we created” but is trying to destroy the great republic and the attendant free market that goes with it that has been preserved since its founding in 1776.

Jenfidel on March 12, 2009 at 1:05 AM

if the question is influence then sure he has too much power. A daytime radio personality shouldn’t be central… it’s unhealthy. That doesn’t mean I disagree with his message or want him to be silenced.

Wording as usual is very important with these surveys. I suspect the numbers would fly all over the map with a few careful changes one way or the other.

Karmashock on March 12, 2009 at 1:14 AM

…shrug…

What I don’t understand is why everyone has to parse simple truth so much.

What Rush says and advocates is nothing more than common sense values–rooted in the idealistic American tradition.

Oh, hmm, based on what I just wrote, I now understand why some people need to parse it!

The only reason Rush has such influence is that people have become afraid of such simple truths.

Montana on March 12, 2009 at 2:10 AM

AP, whatever are you talking about?
How would you define how much pull Rush should have?
You’re veering into “Fairness Doctrine” waters.
He has as much pull as people allow him to have.
Don’t like him?
Don’t listen to him.
Don’t turn on your radio or change the station.
If what he had to say didn’t resonate with so many, he wouldn’t have any pull or audience at all like his peers in Air America.

Jenfidel on March 12, 2009 at 2:31 AM

Jenfidel on March 12, 2009 at 2:31 AM

It makes me nervous when people don’t question the link between having an opinion and thinking that that opinion needs to be codified in law, especially from someone who’s supposed to be a conservative. I think Rush Limbaugh has too much sway in the party, that’s my opinion on the matter. And I would sooner gut myself with a rusty scythe than enact any form of legislation to take away the power that he has. That’s far beyond the role of government in a functioning society, and I’d suspect AP would think the same.

It’s not that you assumed that Allahpundit wanted to legislate his opinions, it’s that you didn’t seem to even question whether someone might have some problem with using the force of law to push one’s opinion on someone else. It makes me extremely nervous because I worry that when its up to you that you’d assume that it’s appropriate to use the government to force adherence to your opinions. We’re supposed to be conservatives.

galenrox on March 12, 2009 at 2:46 AM

galenrox on March 12, 2009 at 2:46 AM

I’m not the one using the word “should” in regards to how much pull Rush should be “allowed” to have–AP is, so don’t accuse me of wanting to push my opinion on someone else!
My post made the point of the obvious role of free choice as to how much pull Rush has, AP was the one implying that regulation of Rush was needed…
Did you,like almost all Liberals, fail reading comprehension?

Jenfidel on March 12, 2009 at 2:58 AM

Nadie me encuestados?

Kini on March 12, 2009 at 3:00 AM

Here’s one for crr6:

“Strange new respect” is of course the formula of praise with which the big media welcome any conservative who veers leftward. As in: “When Senator Joe Jones arrived in Washington, he was widely regarded as a wild-eyed ideologue. But as he has worked to support [fill in name of liberal sacred cow here], many have come to view him with a strange new respect.”

Who said that? David Frum. Now he’s living it.

Jim Treacher on March 12, 2009 at 3:02 AM

More desperation…more ramming their heads against the wall…still waiting on that Treasury Department to be staffed…spent so much money that Americans not yet born will be paying for it…for the love of God will someone OTHER THAN Rush take their friggin gloves off and hit this pinatta!?!

The 0bama crew hit deep water and started drowning. They’re panicking now and making it even worse for themselves. Someone throw ’em the anchor!

SuperCool on March 12, 2009 at 3:14 AM

The 0bama crew hit deep water and started drowning. They’re panicking now and making it even worse for themselves. Someone throw ‘em the anchor!

SuperCool on March 12, 2009 at 3:14 AM

Excellent, S.C.!

Jenfidel on March 12, 2009 at 4:34 AM

Jenfidel on March 12, 2009 at 1:05 AM
I love your mind. If you are single have you considered marriage. ;-)

darktood on March 12, 2009 at 4:56 AM

Here’s one for crr6:

Who said that? David Frum. Now he’s living it.

Jim Treacher on March 12, 2009 at 3:02 AM

Brian1972 on March 12, 2009 at 5:09 AM

ooops

David Frum said that?!?

Wow, Treacher. That’s leaving a nasty laceration on Frum’s rep.

Brian1972 on March 12, 2009 at 5:11 AM

When did Frum utter those wise words that he’s now eating?

Brian1972 on March 12, 2009 at 5:12 AM

darktood on March 12, 2009 at 4:56 AM

Thank you and bless your heart, but I am married! ;-)

Jenfidel on March 12, 2009 at 5:15 AM

Thank you and bless your heart, but I am married! ;-)

Jenfidel on March 12, 2009 at 5:15 AM

The good ones are always taken. :(

Brian1972 on March 12, 2009 at 5:21 AM

Brian1972 on March 12, 2009 at 5:21 AM

Gentlemen, I am flattered!
It’s nice to know that a lady can state her mind and still be attractive to the right kind of men!

Jenfidel on March 12, 2009 at 5:43 AM

David Frum: you were dead to me when you started to attack Rush personally. Admit it you elitist: Rush could beat you in a debate with one hand tied behind his back.

technopeasant on March 12, 2009 at 5:46 AM

“…or do people here agree that Rush has more pull than he should?”
AP

The very nature of the question stems from an elitist mentality that, because you spew on a blog (or on radio, in Rush’s case), you have or should have influence in people’s political decisions. I reject the premise. Rush has “pull” in that he pulls in a huge audience who listen to him cogently and humorously expound on conservative ideals in a way that nobody had ever done before. You just can’t accept that people aren’t “led” by Rush, they are led to listen to Rush for many reasons.
And I don’t hate you for being weak, AP. I don’t hate you at all. I don’t know you other than by the small percentage of your words that I read here. Hate is too powerful an emotion to waste.

SKYFOX on March 12, 2009 at 5:55 AM

getalife on March 11, 2009 at 11:37 PM

The markets haven’t been deregulated since the early 1900s. So, the rest of your rant is meaningless.

dominigan on March 12, 2009 at 7:52 AM

getalife on March 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM

This just proves your ignorance… that you’ve never listened to him. He never claims to lead the party, especially during elections. His goal is to explain current events through a Conservative viewpoint. He has criticized certain Republicans (RINOs) nearly as much as liberal Democrats.

dominigan on March 12, 2009 at 8:00 AM

If I picked bits and pieces and blended, faked, edited and pushed the montra of The Messiah as a tool, played it on every single MSM organ, all major papers, blogged it and did TV and Radio spots on him, I bet I could get, in a very short time, Obama’s numbers to plummet. These polls mean nothing to real Conservatives, they are junk in, junk out. Data is so subjective to phrasing, timing and audiance. I was not polled for this, where you? Did any of your friends tell you about this poll that they took? Who is responding, what are the outliners? So much ado about nothing…

Rush Limbaughs values, core principals, Conservatism and views are EXACTLY like mine, he gives me and my family a voice. A voice to our frustrations, to our concerns for America and the countries future. He does NOT lead me, I have my own mind, my ouw opinions and values, but Rush DOES give voice and power to my ideas and thoughts… I believe that if the Republican Party, the RNC and those against Obama would just DO WHAT RUSH SUGGESTS, we could beat back the far left radical agenda, win elections and regain control of the Congress and White House. That is my opinion.

We have tried the Dem-Lite approach, we have tried the “Big Tent” approach, we have tried to “Move to the Middle” and we have gotten our clocks cleaned in Election after Election. So for my moderate friends here at HA, tell me, what has your approach done for the Republican Party? How have you moved forward the values, the policies, the principals of the Republican Party and it’s platform? Being the Dem-Lite party has been an EPIC FAIL, and will continue to be… We need to be very clear, something Steele can’t be, but Rush is, on our core values, our broad strokes and bright colors, our love of Country, of our Military, of smaller Government, of TAX cuts, Zero capital gains, reduced Federal involvment in personal lives, local control of schools, fighting against abusive Unions, reductions in Welfare, no bailouts, strict adherence to the Constitution, fight on terror, strong boarders and action against illeagles… Rush represents those views, the RINO’s, the Republican Party, the RNC do NOT make our case for change, do not show the stark contrasts between The Messiah and his radicals that hate American as opposed to Conservative values and love of Country.

Rush is right, Conservatism WINS every single time it’s tried, preached, educated and followed… Dem-Lite, big tenters LOSE… It’s time for Conservatives to control the RNC, the Party and the Candidates we put forward in 2010 and 2012… Conservatism WILL win, it is time to unite…

Mark Garnett on March 12, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Liberalism is a synonym for prevarication

Bevan on March 12, 2009 at 8:08 AM

When I say the RINO’s and RNC and Republican party is dead to me, this is exactly why:

1 BILLION DOLLAS AN HOUR!!! 1 BILLION!!!

Senator Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has come up with a vivid new way to express his contention that the nation is spending way too much money it doesn’t have.

McConnell includes the tweaks in his opening remarks on the Senate floor on the 51st day that President Obama has been in office.

“In just 50 days, Congress has voted to spend about $1.2 trillion between the Stimulus and the Omnibus,” McConnell says. “To put that in perspective, that’s about $24 billion a day, or about $1 billion an hour—most of it borrowed. There’s simply no question: government spending has spun out of control.”

The math: 50 days times 24 hours equals 1,200 hours. 1,200 times 1 billion equals 1.2 trillion (a thousand billions is a trillion).

Even as he proposes a huge increase in the reach of government, the president continued to try to show his concern about spending by making an announcement Wednesday about earmark reform.

And yet, still America, it’s people, roll over and take it right in the arse… We ARE sheeple, we have lost our will to fight, here is our very survival, the survival of America and we watch from the sidelines, ranting, like me.

And the RNC, Republican Party, Moderates, Big Tenters and Centerists go along with this crap, this destruction of America!!! 8 REPUBLICAN TRATIORS voted for this new pile of poop!!! Where are our voices, RUSH IS RIGHT, the Republicans are nothing better then Dem-Lite, and slopping up the PORK right along with the cult of Obama…

Mark Garnett on March 12, 2009 at 8:30 AM

I question whether conservatives can win a war of words with the left.

JiangxiDad on March 12, 2009 at 8:32 AM

I question whether conservatives can win a war of words with the left.

JiangxiDad on March 12, 2009 at 8:32 AM

I question if we are ready to try… Had the RNC, ALL so called Republican pudits supported EXACTLY what Rush had said, we want OBAMA’S RADICAL HATE AND DESTRY AMERICA AGENDA TO FAIL then we could have made huge steps to convincing America to take another look at the radicals!

Instead we have the Frums, Brooks, Allahs, the Moderates, the Centerists, the Big Tenters all hammering Rush and the MESSAGE, along with all the MSM and print media… Even Steele and the toon Newt…

So it’s not IF we have voices, we DO, in Rush, mark Levin, Glen Beck, Cantor, Jindal, Palin and others…

It’s that the so called “elites”, the “leaders” are all wussies, wimps, Dem-Lites, weak sisters and have no balls!

Simple really, had we ALl got on board with Rush and hammered it home, it WOULD have had a huge impact, forced folks to take a look at the utter FAIL the Messiah has been. His LIES on a constant bases, his appointments, his radical plans for Gittmo, Taxes, ect…

We have a golden moment, a shot to take the offensive…

And we FAILED AMERICA BADLY!

Mark Garnett on March 12, 2009 at 8:45 AM

David Frum: you were dead to me when you started to attack Rush personally. Admit it you elitist: Rush could beat you in a debate with one hand half his mind tied behind his back.

technopeasant on March 12, 2009 at 5:46 AM

A tiny correction.

darktood on March 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM

We have a golden moment, a shot to take the offensive…

And we FAILED AMERICA BADLY!

Can’t argue with anything you’ve said. We don’t have a messenger,and our message is difficult to understand compared to the simple promises made by the left. And I don’t think we ought to rely on a strategy that requires a gifted and charismatic messenger, in any case, as its only means of success. That obviously is why both McCain and Kerry and Gore lost. This American-idol election process that we’ve now chosen isn’t working, because it’s the triumph of style over substance. Yeah, I know, I’m not saying anything new here, just waking up.

JiangxiDad on March 12, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I bet Rush is laughing his ass off over this! It’s more free publicity for him.

ladyingray on March 12, 2009 at 9:32 AM

For me this is not hard to understand…

Our platform is simple…

The Constitution and it’s Limitations on Federal Government

Gun Rights & Talk Radio Rights of Speech

Zero Pork and HUGE Cuts in Federal Programs

Line Item Veto

Balanced Budget

Term Limits

**** Add more, but can we get any agreements here that these items and a few others are our cores?

Mark Garnett on March 12, 2009 at 9:36 AM

AP,

Just for clarification, KP – Kristin Powers or Kathleen Parker?

gwelf on March 12, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Rush is a guy with a radio show – I don’t get how, other than people liking what he has to say and being convinced of a rather normal ‘version’ of conservatives by him, Rush can be labelled as a ‘leader’ of the Republican party (also aside from Democrat hacks who are still campaigning instead doing their jobs in the executive branch).

Also, just what is so objectionable, especially to conservatives, about what Rush says on a day to day basis? Really, I’d like to know.

gwelf on March 12, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Its hard to argue against this kind of ignorance.

Maxx on March 12, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Mark Garnett on March 12, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Sounds perfect to me!! That would be America back on track.

Maxx on March 12, 2009 at 9:53 AM

“Its hard to argue against this kind of ignorance.”

Maxx on March 12, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Franky Schaeffer has been a spoiled-brat pharisee all his life, first as a “right-winger,” now as a “leftie.”
He’s a classical example of “Conversion syndrome” i.e., a “love it or leave it” uncritical patriot turning into “America is Satan,” a la Ron Kovic. The rotten personality and refusal to reason remain the same, only the content differs. Any ignorance on Schaeffer’s part is purely intentional.

Here’s the lowdown from one who knows:

ebrown2 on March 12, 2009 at 10:14 AM

He will take those “unfavorable’s” all the way to the bank…
I remember a study at USC years ago about what magazines are read…they went door to door and Time, Newsweek, Sports Illustrated, the usual suspects of 25 years ago far led the pack of what was read.
But when they compared them to actual magazine sales and subscriptions…Enquirer led the pack, along with Women’s day, etc, Time and Newsweek never made the top 10.
In other words, what people want you to perceive, and how they really feel or act, is totally different when it comes to these kind of polls.
Watch with Obama, people will say things publicly to support him, but his real numbers of support will slip. If they didn’t “vote” for him, they were not “open minded” or a they were a bigot…now, his support is slipping, now that they have proof of how ineffective they are.
You will find more people who claimed to be at Woodstock, or marched with MLK, then ever voted for Carter.and in 10 years you won’t find anyone that voted for Obama…the beauty of the secret ballot.
Rush, although not a huge fan, has a base of support that is staggering…and a base of haters of the “right kind” that makes it easy to support him.

right2bright on March 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM

He’s still more popular that Congress.

PJ Emeritus on March 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Mark Garnett on March 12, 2009 at 9:36 AM

About it, might add vouchers, and no government support of abortion.
Refine Tort Reform, and limit loser pays…with our court system it is a gamble whether you win or lose.
But a great list.

right2bright on March 12, 2009 at 10:22 AM

He cleans their clock daily for three hours. Are these poll numbers surprising? Yes, only in that they are so high.

Akzed on March 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Yawn.. Rushbo is a big boy and can take care of himself. These whinny lil babies crying over what he does or says sound like the tattle tale squealie babies I used to tease in grade school. “Hey lets cry about what a talk show dude flaps out his pie hole!” That way we dont have to face the big bad scary monsters over here (economy/debt) and over there. (foreign affairs/war)

Dumb Dumb Dumb. Please can we get back to something that matters… like maybe where to move this deck chair? (hey whats that big white thing floating there off the port bow?)

bigskinny on March 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Rush is Obamas new whipping boy, just a dodge to say “he is being mean to me, attack him”. Funny that a Radio celebrity is getting this much press time and it is all negative. If he agreed with the dems, he wouldn’t be in the limelight, this should tell us all something.

workingforpigs on March 12, 2009 at 12:46 PM

…do people here agree that Rush has more pull than he should?

Had GOP members of Congress followed Limbaugh, would they have lost control of both houses? If, in general, a group of folks don’t heed your advice, can you be said have “pull” with them?

I’m wondering if the self-described Republicans and conservatives in the survey were being truthful.

littleguy on March 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM

There are five easy ways to skew a poll. For this one they polled moonbats in downtown San fransico and harvard square cambridge.

dogsoldier on March 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Polling unknowledgeable people on such things as people they know nothing about (Rush, Obama, whoever) is rather like polling members of Code Pink on the best way to clear a jammed M-16.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 12, 2009 at 6:31 PM

The only number that means anything: according to Rush his ratings for the 1st quarter have gone up 32%.

technopeasant on March 12, 2009 at 11:03 PM