Quote of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on March 11, 2009 by Allahpundit

Do you think homosexuality is a choice?
Oh, no. I don’t think I’ve ever really subscribed to that view, that you can turn it on and off like a water tap. Um, you know, I think that there’s a whole lot that goes into the makeup of an individual that, uh, you just can’t simply say, oh, like, “Tomorrow morning I’m gonna stop being gay.” It’s like saying, “Tomorrow morning I’m gonna stop being black.”

So your feeling would be that people are born one way or another.
I mean, I think that’s the prevailing view at this point, and I know that there’s some out there who think that you can absolutely make that choice. And maybe some people have. I don’t know, I can’t say. Until we can give a definitive answer one way or the other, I think we should respect that.

Explain that.
The choice issue cuts two ways. You can choose life, or you can choose abortion. You know, my mother chose life. So, you know, I think the power of the argument of choice boils down to stating a case for one or the other.

Are you saying you think women have the right to choose abortion?
Yeah. I mean, again, I think that’s an individual choice.

You do?
Yeah. Absolutely.

Are you saying you don’t want to overturn Roe v. Wade?
I think Roe v. Wade—as a legal matter, Roe v. Wade was a wrongly decided matter.

Okay, but if you overturn Roe v. Wade, how do women have the choice you just said they should have?
The states should make that choice. That’s what the choice is. The individual choice rests in the states. Let them decide.

So, Rush Limbaugh—good or bad for you guys?
Rush is a friend. I like Rush. Rush is a bomb-thrower extraordinaire. And we need him. We need him because what he does is, he stimulates debate. And I know it drives a lot of folks on the left loony. But so does Al Franken for us. Okay? So don’t give me, “Rush is a bad guy, we need to offset him.” You already have. You got Al Franken, for goodness sakes.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Enough already.

Resign NOW

Norwegian on March 11, 2009 at 10:32 PM

350 comments

coming ATCHA

blatantblue on March 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM

You be da man, you be da man!

benny shakar on March 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM

You’re fired…

blankminde on March 11, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Why is this a surprise? Abortion was the first thing he flipped on when he started with the big tent crap.

Darth Executor on March 11, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Resign. Game over.

jimmy the notable on March 11, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Oh brother

dentalque on March 11, 2009 at 10:35 PM

And this coming from somebody who’s generally very easy on people over different issues. I haven’t attended church in years, I’m not religious. But state-sanctioned murder is not somewhere that I allow gray area.

jimmy the notable on March 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM

You be da man, you be da man!

benny shakar on March 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Is Michael Steele not black enough for you, bunny shaker? I am still unclear why you keep repeating that quote.

chunderroad on March 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM

How did you become a Republican?
My mama raised me well.

Naturally!

For as bad as he’s been with staffing (allegedly), he’s doing a better job then the Treasury Secretary.

Spirit of 1776 on March 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Buh-bye.

My collie says:

DLTDHYOTAOTWO.

CyberCipher on March 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Darth Executor on March 11, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Kulturkampf???

what culture war?

so long Steele, you’re in Ken’s seat…

sven10077 on March 11, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I am still unclear why you keep repeating that quote.

Because the left is brimming with racist. Sadly.

Spirit of 1776 on March 11, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Oh no!

Not a conservative federalist trying to enforce the intent of the framers of our constitution!

BOOOOO!!!

Tman on March 11, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Let me get this straight. He just compared homosexuals to a race. The following argument would be to recognize homosexuals like we recognize race I guess. Then he argues that pro-choice is alright, falling back to a legal argument (which is true, but I think weaker) rather than the fundamental debate of life being sacred. Then he concedes that Rush is a bad guy by allowing that Al Franken helps offset his “badness.” What the hell?

blankminde on March 11, 2009 at 10:38 PM

OMG ap just rezing alreddy! i am like sooo neva eva evah comin back to hotair.com evah again i am so sick of ur liberalism ap omg

Blah blah blah blah blah

blatantblue on March 11, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I’m pretty sure when GQ interviewed Barack he was asked what color tie he preferred and if lighter colored suits were appropriate after Labor Day.

Marcus on March 11, 2009 at 10:39 PM

The states should make that choice. That’s what the choice is. The individual choice rests in the states individual.

It’s the business and choice of the mother. It is not, nor should have it ever been, the business of our government.

Pro-Choice or Pro-Life, it’s a PRIVATE MATTER. Period.

fogw on March 11, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Ruh roh.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 11, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Oh no!

BOOOOO!!!

Tman on March 11, 2009 at 10:37 PM

right, “yeah”….that’s why Mike can’t read the 2d amendment, all those pesky commas and overt use of words but he can read in things that are in invisible ink like abortion….

remind me how we’re different than the donks with this guys’ vision again?

sven10077 on March 11, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Steele does keep putting his foot in his mouth. Pro-lifers will never accept the states rights or Constitutional arguments. They’ve been trained to recognize red flags where there are none. If you mention the right to life, they start arguing about 12 YOs raped by their stepfathers and coat hangers.

I’m sorry, but this guy is a hot mess.

chunderroad on March 11, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Oh no!

BOOOOO!!!

Tman on March 11, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Right to life is in the constitution douchebag.

Darth Executor on March 11, 2009 at 10:40 PM

i don’t kow kind of makes sense. except for the abortion angle. Murder is murder to me but it would be better to let the states decide. Why should i tell someone in NY what to do? As far as being gay. I could care less. If you want to be butt boys with someone else more power to you but I have the right not be have it shoved in my face.

I think he got Rush pretty right. We could do without the “bomb-throwing” line but he is correct that Rush is a person that stimulates debate.

And at the end of the day if you believe in individual freedom than you have to allow the individual to make their own choices as far as homosexuality. I think REPs would be better off fighting the militant wing of the gays. The mainstreaming. I mean you can disapprove of it without lynching them.

The abortion thing. I am 100% against it but I think honestly the best we will ever hope to get is make it a state issue.

unseen on March 11, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Somebody needs a layoff.

ItsForTheChildren on March 11, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I don’t know, but I find nothing wrong with the interview. I think he realized his mistake at the end of the abortion comments. But he came around.

I just wish Steele would just start fixing the RNC and stop doing so many interviews.

jencab on March 11, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Pro-Choice or Pro-Life, it’s a PRIVATE MATTER. Period.

fogw on March 11, 2009 at 10:39 PM

yeap and it is also a private matter if I want to kill my neighbor. what business does the state have telling me I can’t kill whoever I want. the nerve of them

unseen on March 11, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Mike can’t read the 2d amendment,

Steele on the 2nd:No ban on guns; focus on enforcement instead.

OH NO!

THERE HE GOES AGAIN BEING ALL CONSERVATIVE AND SENSIBLE!!

Tman on March 11, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Right to life is in the constitution douchebag

[citation needed]

Tman on March 11, 2009 at 10:45 PM

methinks those remarks might anger some around here. a straw man argument on gays, and an utterly confusing one on abortion. not a good look for mr. steele.

ernesto on March 11, 2009 at 10:45 PM

unseen on March 11, 2009 at 10:44 PM

indeed…sell it as Kevorkian work and you’ll get celebrated…

sven10077 on March 11, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Nope, Steele isn’t my representative for conservatism…. buhbye!

MNDavenotPC on March 11, 2009 at 10:46 PM

another sad day

jcheney on March 11, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Steele really has to go as chairman, but I have no problem with his abortion position. Roe v. Wade is a woefully incorrect and idiotically “supported” decision that should be overturned and the states get to decide about abortion. As to whether anyone is pro-abortion or anti-abortion, that is a state-level position that has little to do with national policy. If someone wants to ban abortion, federally, then Huckabee has the correct approach – a Constitutional amendment.

progressoverpeace on March 11, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Whoa. I think I can articulate conservative principles better than this guy.

crr6 on March 11, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Pro-Choice or Pro-Life, it’s a PRIVATE MATTER. Period.

fogw on March 11, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Some think that abortion is murder. Some think that this is not a single individual’s choice (they would argue that there are at least 2 people involved). How would you argue to them that it’s a private matter?

Upstater85 on March 11, 2009 at 10:47 PM

RINO! Kick his lame stupid butt out and get a real leader.

AubieJon on March 11, 2009 at 10:47 PM

He is obviously pro-choice, he fumbled the question badly. If he can’t even articulate his own views, I don’t know how he can present the views of the party as a whole. Enough. Better dump him now while there is plenty of time for 2010.

echosyst on March 11, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I am upset with Steel about the “nazi” interview, but must say that I think he did a splendid job with this one.

Roe v. Wade was a terrible decision. But that simply means that morality questions are up to the states.

Many of us out here abhor Roe v. Wade. We would be loathe to vote for abortion restrictions. But we would warmly encourage those we love not to have an abortion.

If that’s too complicated for you, then too bad for you.

JudetheFossil on March 11, 2009 at 10:48 PM

He’s the moderate leader the Democrats need right now!

Free Constitution on March 11, 2009 at 10:48 PM

What’s wrong with letting gay people be gay? I, personally, believe that homosexuality is a mental trait and cannot be stopped, although I was seething over all of those horrible things those gay people did in CA in protest of Prop 8 (which was democratically voted on, mind you). I’m surprised JetBoy is not out here.

Achilles on March 11, 2009 at 10:48 PM

OH NO!

THERE HE GOES AGAIN BEING ALL CONSERVATIVE AND SENSIBLE!!

Tman on March 11, 2009 at 10:44 PM

words are cheap…his lack of actions with regards to Mr. Moose back in Maryland are what “sold me” but “thanks”….I have lived under both Steele and Blackwell….we was robbed as Yankeefan says…

sven10077 on March 11, 2009 at 10:48 PM

AAaaarrrgggghhh…

eaglesdontflock on March 11, 2009 at 10:49 PM

But, of course, y’all here know more than I do. So, er, whatever happens happens. As I have said before, whatever is best for the Republican Party…

Achilles on March 11, 2009 at 10:50 PM

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on March 11, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Uhg.

Just get rid of him and let Rush be the head of the RNC. Kill two birds with one stone.

Vigilante on March 11, 2009 at 10:50 PM

i’m not a republican … but, if i were, i would be shakin’ the tree and knockin’ on doors to get him the heck outta the chair …

best of luck republicans …

AZ_Redneck on March 11, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Steele has made some mistakes lately, but doggoneit, I still like him. He needs to be more careful that he doesn’t step in it, again.

The “Pack Rat” comment did hurt a bit…..

Star20 on March 11, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Do you think homosexuality is a choice?

That’s just great. And this is the guy that’s representing the socially conservative side.

It’s funny how so many “gay people” end up in prison. I mean, obviously, there’s no choice involved so the fact that they have people in prison jumping all over each other means they were obviously born that way. I say we need to restructure our justice system from discriminating so much against gays.

TTheoLogan on March 11, 2009 at 10:51 PM

[citation needed]

Tman on March 11, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

It is also in the Declaration of Independence.

Darth Executor on March 11, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Hey, if somebody could convince me Abortion ISN’T murder, I’d say “Federalism all the way. What a great conservative.”

But it is murder. We don’t allow murder in certain states, but enforce laws in other states, do we?

jimmy the notable on March 11, 2009 at 10:52 PM

What did he do? I’m seriously asking because I have no idea what you mean.

Tman on March 11, 2009 at 10:52 PM

So, Rush Limbaugh—good or bad for you guys?

He did not… put Franken and Limbaugh on the same platform… did he? No really…. did he?

un – real.

katy on March 11, 2009 at 10:53 PM

He’s done.

ballz2wallz on March 11, 2009 at 10:53 PM

If that’s too complicated for you, then too bad for you.

JudetheFossil on March 11, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Yes, this is a matter that should be left to the individual states; however, this doesn’t somehow make abortion A OK. New York State should have the power and authority to tax its citizens more than other states do, but this doesn’t mean that it is wise or somehow ethical.

Upstater85 on March 11, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Marcus on March 11, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Well, you wouldn’t give an SAT to a preschooler, would you?

FloatingRock on March 11, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Um, folks, if Roe v.Wade is overturned, the decision would revert to each individual state. That’s how it works.

baldilocks on March 11, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Why is this guy supposed to be so good? I don’t get it.

There has been nothing he’s said since he got the job that has impressed me one bit. In fact it has only convinced me that I will be continuing to cast write in votes from here on out.

Fire this guy already! Then give the job to either Newt or Fred.

SimplyKimberly on March 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Darth Executor on March 11, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Good citation, but that only makes it more apparent that the question with abortion is really the determination of the beginning of life. That determination belongs in the same place where the determination of the end of life now resides – with the states.

progressoverpeace on March 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Don’t you guys know that gay people just wake up one day and choose to be homos?

/sarc off.

blatantblue on March 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM

When Howard Dean was leading his party to victories in 2006 and 2008, how many interviews did he give discussing guns, gays and God. I really thought Mr AARRRRgggghhhhhh! was going to be a disaster for their side.

Marcus on March 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Achilles on March 11, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Look up Dennis Jernigan.

Saying homosexuality cannot be “stopped” is like saying alcoholism cannot be “stopped.” Any former alcoholic, just like any former homosexual, will tell you the struggle continues, but you won’t say a former alcoholic is still one if he has temptation(unless it’s bush). I personally know people who have given up the “gay lifestyle” (ooo, there’s that term!) For me to deny what they’ve accomplished by their own choice just to fit into your political and world view is shameful.

The silliest thing about all of this is that homosexuality is in no way a new thing. It’s been around since the beginning. It went underground when judeo-Christian values spread throughout Europe, etc. It was still there, just like every other sin.

What IS new is homosexual marriage.

TTheoLogan on March 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Key disappointing paragraph

Why do you think so few nonwhite Americans support the Republican Party right now?
’Cause we have offered them nothing! And the impression we’ve created is that we don’t give a damn about them or we just outright don’t like them. And that’s not a healthy thing for a political party. I think the way we’ve talked about immigration, the way we’ve talked about some of the issues that are important to African-Americans, like affirmative action… I mean, you know, having an absolute holier-than-thou attitude about something that’s important to a particular community doesn’t engender confidence in your leadership by that community—or consideration of you for office or other things—because you’ve already given off the vibe that you don’t care. What I’m trying to do now is to say we do give a damn.

From now on you must call me a female Transylvanian-American and beware of not “offering me something”. Otherwise, no vote from here. No ways!!!

Entelechy on March 11, 2009 at 10:56 PM

/sarc off.

blatantblue on March 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Yeah, since everyone chooses the struggle they have, uhh.

TTheoLogan on March 11, 2009 at 10:56 PM

progressoverpeace on March 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM

I didnt know that to be the case…is there any discrepancy between certain states’ definition of death? Can I be legally dead in New Jersey but alive in Arkansas?

ernesto on March 11, 2009 at 10:56 PM

I will pass judgement on Michael Steele…………..

………….. when these same questions are asked of the head of the Democratic National Party, then published.

Is it still Dean…………?

Seven Percent Solution on March 11, 2009 at 10:58 PM

ernesto on March 11, 2009 at 10:56 PM

progressoverpeace on March 11, 2009 at 10:58 PM

AP, you forgot the following Steele Classics…

“I strongly support affirmative action” – Michael Steele (The Washington Post, October 30, 2006)

“You draw the line. I mean, what do you need an assault weapon for?” – Michael Steele (Washington Post, October 14, 2006)

“We have to elect moderates in the party.” – Michael Steele (CBN News, December 8, 2008)

Poptech on March 11, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Come on, AP, you got your Obligatory Rush, you got QOTD Steele. But there is also late-breaking Palin news. Go for the trifecta!

okonkolo on March 11, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Amendment V

Perhaps you would care to point out the part that explains when a “person” is considered a “person” in regards to Amendment V. Neither the constitution nor the declaration specify if life begins at conception or birth.

That’s the whole idea behind Federalism. LET THE STATES DECIDE.

Tman on March 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM

What did he do? I’m seriously asking because I have no idea what you mean.

Tman on March 11, 2009 at 10:52 PM

I lived in Maryland during the “DC Snipers” routine and Steele criticized Chief Moose precisely “zero” times for his neo-luddite anti-gun rhetoric. People have forgotten that when Moose’s heart was broken that the perps were black suddenly his focus for interdiction became the gun….ie “we got the gun!”…..

Steele was the head of the Maryland Republican Party at the time and Moose was trying his best to make the entire incident about the need for a new AWB…

so yeah Blackwell would have gone berzerk on an Ohio CoP who tried the same games….

Blackwell has ball of steel, steele has balls of pudding.

sven10077 on March 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Good bye Michael.

roux on March 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM

baldilocks on March 11, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Exactly.

carbon_footprint on March 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM

ernesto on March 11, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Entelechy on March 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Heh.

Proud Rino on March 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM

The other thing about steele’s comments about homosexuality being genetic… doesn’t it concern anyone that there’s never been any proof for that, it’s simply the case that it’s easier to believe it happens that way?

They had a gay gene story years ago that was debunked. Not to mention, behavioural characteristics are determined by multiple genes, and identical twins would have to always, ALWAYS share the same sexual orientation, which they do not.

TTheoLogan on March 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM

okonkolo on March 11, 2009 at 10:58 PM

LOL. Meghan McCain was on Rachael Maddow. Her show, I mean. Be very quiet….

Marcus on March 11, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Proud Rino, might as well

Steele Likens Republican Critics to “Scurrying Mice”
Cal Thomas quotes RNC Chairman Michael Steele ripping into his Republican critics while explaining “he is in stage two of a two-stage process to reform and transform the Republican Party.”

Said Steele: “The mice who are scurrying about the Hill are upset because they no longer have access to the cheese, so they don’t know what’s going on.”

John Aravosis: “Sounds like stage two of a two-stage process to get himself fired… The man seems to have a political death wish. We’ll see if he survives this one.”

Entelechy on March 11, 2009 at 11:01 PM

The resignation watch is on…. He must not want the job and doesn’t have the balls to simply quit. He wants to be, “forced” out so he doesn’t look like a quiter.

TheBigOldDog on March 11, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Entelechy on March 11, 2009 at 10:56 PM
Great, the RNC chair knows nothing about the history of his own party.

youngTXcon on March 11, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Do you think homosexuality is a choice?

He could have said that no matter his personal opinion about homosexuality, he would diligently work to protect the constitutional rights of all Americans, but no…

Upstater85 on March 11, 2009 at 11:02 PM

He’s in a two stage process to embarrass himself, and he’s on stage 54 right now.

Proud Rino on March 11, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Disappointing, but I don’t need a moral leader heading the GOP. I’m pretty sure our last one was pro-life and anti-gay marriage. We need one that can win elections. A pro-lifer that can’t organize worth a damn does us little good.

amerpundit on March 11, 2009 at 11:02 PM

New slogan for the Republicans: “Hey, we like you!”

Steele is just tired. He’s been working hard at something or other, and needs to head back to his crib for a couple of days, maybe take a couple more off in the mountains….

MrScribbler on March 11, 2009 at 11:03 PM

He sounds very reasonable. I think a majority of Americans would agree with everything he said.

thphilli on March 11, 2009 at 11:03 PM

unseen on March 11, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Upstater85 on March 11, 2009 at 10:47 PM

I happen to be Pro-Life. I was opposed to the passing of Roe v Wade. My point was, the government should not be concerned with decisions of individuals when it comes to abortion, regardless of whether the mother chooses to have one or not have one.

Should have made my position clearer. I’m just sick and tired of the government meddling in our private lives. I can do just fine without any help from them.

fogw on March 11, 2009 at 11:03 PM

TTheoLogan on March 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Oh course it is possible for people with sexual disorders to be born that way. There is nothing unscientific about it.

Poptech on March 11, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Entelechy on March 11, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Mr. Steele is about to find that the rat often meets the trap at the end of stage 2….

I had a sense of humor for him right up to “Showtime with DL Hughley!”

sven10077 on March 11, 2009 at 11:04 PM

okonkolo on March 11, 2009 at 10:58 PM

The one about the kids not getting married afterall?

amerpundit on March 11, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Poptech on March 11, 2009 at 11:04 PM

In other news, zombies are a fact of life because science has not yet proven otherwise.

blankminde on March 11, 2009 at 11:05 PM

amerpundit on March 11, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Maybe Steele’s election-fu is so awesome he will win national elections with precisely 3 members for the 4th floor’s staff….

then again “maybe not”….

sven10077 on March 11, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Can we please stop knifing each other. That is exactly what the liberals want us to do. Their stimulus bill failed the market confidence test. Their TARP Two promise failed the market confidence test. Their mortgage proposal failed the confidence test and they can’t seem to find any honorable democrats clean enough to staff the government; so of course their talking heads are desparate to change the subject. Don’t let them. Hammer them on their incompetence and stick to the script. (Also mention that their stimulus bill and budget do many things that discourage a recovery.)

KW64 on March 11, 2009 at 11:06 PM

ernesto on March 11, 2009 at 10:56 PM
i think he means euthanasia laws

Chiasmos on March 11, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Of course homosexuality is a choice: top or bottom.

Jim Treacher on March 11, 2009 at 11:07 PM

How does a guy go from being such a charismatic character when running to such a bumbling, incompetent when elected?

That question is appropriate for Steele… and Obama.

Sugar Land on March 11, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Lets see,

Stuart,is a lock-step,parrot
talking point,looney tune,ex
treme Leftwing Liberal!

And Rush,shares the same stage,
with idiot Franken!

Me is sadened,perplexed,and refuse to
believe its so!
—————————–

Memo to RNC:

Can you please offer a training course,mandatory for all
Republicans on how to anticipate Liberal verbal bush-wackings,set-ups,soundbite ambushes,and to directly con
front said Liberal,when Liberal makes an outrageous acc
usation of the Republican Party!

Me thinks, it would be helpful!!

canopfor on March 11, 2009 at 11:07 PM

/sarc off.

blatantblue on March 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM

“Oops, I accidentally shoved my **** in that guy’s ***. I really wish I’d had a choice about it.”

/s

fossten on March 11, 2009 at 11:08 PM

@ Jim Treacher on March 11, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Don’t forget twink or bear.

thphilli on March 11, 2009 at 11:08 PM