Johnson against Card Check, too?

posted at 8:09 pm on March 11, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Have the unions overreached on Card Check?   Not only have the Democrats failed to attract Republicans to Card Check, they’re starting to bleed Democrats.  Following the defection of Ben Nelson (D-NE) yesterday, 2007 co-sponsor Tim Johnson has heard an earful from his South Dakota constituents and now has second thoughts (via David Freddoso):

Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson said today that there isn’t enough support in the Senate to pass the Employee Free Choice Act.

“There are not enough votes to support this legislation, so far,” Johnson said during his weekly telephone conference call with reporters.

Right now, the act doesn’t even have his vote, for sure.

Johnson was a co-sponsor of a version of the act that passed the Senate two years ago, although he didn’t actually vote on it because he was recovering from his brain hemorrhage. He has made supportive statements about this year’s version of the act. But feedback from home apparently has the senator thinking the proposal needs more work.

“I’m undecided about that,” he said Wednesday when asked if he could vote for the current version of the act.

Former South Dakota Sen. George McGovern, who is certainly not anti-union, cut an advertisement against the act, saying it could deny workers the right to cast a secret ballot on whether to form a union. Near as I can tell, that’s true, in its current form. But as supporters of the act point out, when workers utse a card check now, employers can require a secret-ballot election. Sometimes that takes months.

If this is true, it’s a disaster for Democrats and Harry Reid.  It’s one thing to not get Murkowski, something a little worse to lose Specter, but Johnson co-sponsored Card Check in 2007.  He went out of his way to signal his support.  If Johnson peels away, Reid may not even have a majority to vote for the bill, let alone enough to get cloture.

Politically, this makes sense.  South Dakota is pretty conservative despite their support of Tom Daschle, who knew how to pose as a conservative once every six years.  George McGovern’s outspoken opposition to Card Check has made an impact on voters in the state, obviously, since he comes from the Left.  Backing Card Check would make Johnson look more radical than McGovern, not a good place to situation one’s self in South Dakota.

I’m not surprised to see support for bypassing the secret ballot fade now that the bill has hit the public.  I am surprised to see it collapse so quickly.

Previous posts on Card Check:

Comments

South Dakota has been able to swipe businesses from the People’s Socialist Republic of Minnesota for years by touting SD’s right-to-work laws and the lack of an income tax. Johnson knows this.

Wethal on March 11, 2009 at 8:14 PM

I hope this piece of crap bill fails.

boomer on March 11, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Why do red states like South Dakota have Dem senators? RNC must be chumps.

promachus on March 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Maybe the dems are feeling the heat from the public about them overreaching in all budget areas…now they sense overreaching in business…maybe, just maybe, this is the start of a “hey, I have an idea, why not start governing like you promised”…just maybe.

right2bright on March 11, 2009 at 8:19 PM

good

rob verdi on March 11, 2009 at 8:21 PM

As all of the Messiah’s ploys this is not what it seems. Sure Card check wants to unionize more workers but its true goal is to create conformity and a solid block of support for Obama, that he can count on and use alongside his ‘civiian army’ and ACORN during election campaigns to intimidate those thinking about defecting to the GOP.

technopeasant on March 11, 2009 at 8:21 PM

And yesterday by a 5-4 vote the Supreme Court rejected that minorities deserved a better deal in elections.

technopeasant on March 11, 2009 at 8:23 PM

I hope this piece of crap bill fails.

I hope the unions fail period.

As the job losses mount it is bad for unions.

That is good news.

We need about 10 years of low union activity with a

labor force that can make America competitive again.

izoneguy on March 11, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Why do red states like South Dakota have Dem senators? RNC must be chumps.

promachus on March 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Arlen Specter, Olympia Snowe, Juan Queeg, and Juan Queeg’s colostomoy bag(aka El Graham) were all unavailable for comment….

sven10077 on March 11, 2009 at 8:30 PM

“hey, I have an idea, why not start governing like you promised”…just maybe.

right2bright on March 11, 2009 at 8:19 PM

They are governing like they promised. Obama told Joe he was going to take our money and spread it around. Just like he promised.

Guardian on March 11, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Like the OmniBus spending bill that had 8000 earmarks in it.
I thought Obama campaigned on the notion that he would veto
bills that had earmarks in them?

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!!

izoneguy on March 11, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Like the OmniBus spending bill that had 8000 earmarks in it.
I thought Obama campaigned on the notion that he would veto
bills that had earmarks in them?

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!!

izoneguy on March 11, 2009 at 8:31 PM

That’s the political version of “no baby, I won’t C** in your hair and I’ll still respect you in the morning…”

America-Ogabe’s one night stand…

sven10077 on March 11, 2009 at 8:41 PM

If only these dems had peeled away during the stimucrap bill.

Bishop on March 11, 2009 at 8:41 PM

it’s a disaster for Democrats and Harry Reid

Is OK to hope they fail?

Heh heh heh.

Bruno Strozek on March 11, 2009 at 8:45 PM

I hope and pray that this is the beginning of the failure of many crappy bills…

I hope the ignorant democrats are starting to get the message that the American people haven’t totally gone to sleep and the idiot in the oval office could give a rat’s ass about their sentorial jobs.

Ltlgeneral64 on March 11, 2009 at 8:46 PM

“I am surprised to see it collapse so quickly.”

When people realize what Card Check really is they let their legislators know in no uncertain terms how they feel about the secret ballot.

Unless of course, you’ve been suckling at the union teat all your life and know that there are ‘consequences’ when you question the leadership. Just ask Jimmy Hoffa.

GarandFan on March 11, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Why do red states like South Dakota have Dem senators? RNC must be chumps.

promachus on March 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Because they run as conservative Dems; pro-gun, pro-family, pro-military. Yet they get to DC and vote straight party line with Pelosi and Co. Then they go back to ND or MT or SD and run as conservatives again and get re-elected.

Which means only one thing…people in red states are chhhhhh – u – mps

angryed on March 11, 2009 at 8:57 PM

“I’m not surprised to see support for bypassing the secret ballot fade now that the bill has hit the public.”

Is this the “transparency” we were all told about during the campaign…….?

Seven Percent Solution on March 11, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Ha! Do you suppose that Johnson’s constituents listen to that pariah, Rush Limbaugh?

Buy Danish on March 11, 2009 at 8:59 PM

How can any democrat who claims to represent American workers vote AGA

RealDemocrat on March 11, 2009 at 9:06 PM

How can any democrat claim to represent American workers, vote AGAINST the secret ballot and AGAINST extending E-VERIFY in the workplace? Impossible to reconcile the two thoughts!!! SCABS!!!!!!

RealDemocrat on March 11, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I’ve been a union member for 23 years – which, for what it’s worth, has been mainly because there’s only a window of 2 weeks every year in which union members in our bargaining unit can get out, and I always manage to miss the window. My own fault, but I do have to say that our union has done some decent work on behalf of our employees…that being said, however, I am rapidly approaching the point of no return. That is, I expect that I will make “get out of the union” a red-letter event on my calendar. I had nearly had enough when the entire local seemed to lurch even farther to the left than they always had been, during the election. The “Noam Chomsky Library” arrayed on the local president’s desk. The free “Obama” t-shirts that were thrust at me every time I came into the office. The auditor who spouted so much socialist crap I wanted to slap him. But – the final straw? “Card Check” – they really think it’s a wonderful idea, because it’s a “great way to mandate membership”.
BS. I’m an American. I want my secret ballot. And, I’ll just keep my dues, thank you.

uncivilized on March 11, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Harry Reid: But this SHIP can’t sink!?!

Engineer for USS Card Check:

Dire Straits on March 11, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Harry Reid: But this SHIP can’t sink!?!

Engineer for USS Card Check:

Dire Straits on March 11, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Sorry! I messed that up.

S/B Engineer for USS Card Check: This ship is made of bullshit and I assure you can and she will sink!!

Dire Straits on March 11, 2009 at 9:35 PM

South Dakota has hundreds of people employed by Citigroup in its back-office credit card division. If they were unionized it could be the final death blow to Citi.

rockmom on March 11, 2009 at 9:38 PM

RealDemocrat on March 11, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Because they know they have the union vote money locked up.

WashJeff on March 11, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Because they know they have the union vote money locked up.

WashJeff on March 11, 2009 at 9:47 PM

yeah are the unions gonna go home to the GOP??
the pink rotten meat bleeds Marxist red…

sven10077 on March 11, 2009 at 9:51 PM

I believe that any elected official who has expressed any degree of support for this measure has supplied prima facie evidence that they have either not read it, or that they have not read and / or they do not support, the Constitution Of the United States of America.

Period.

They can pick whatever option they want, stupidity or treachery, but we should make this a bright line, people!

drunyan8315 on March 11, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Die, Unions, die!

Glenn Jericho on March 11, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Why do red states like South Dakota have Dem senators? RNC must be chumps.

promachus on March 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM

angryed is dead on. I get so aggravated by the people of our state getting suckered by Dems.
Hopefully Obama’s farm subsidy cuts will be useful for Tim Johnson’s opponents. I wouldn’t doubt if Johnson opposes this card check business because of what Obama did with farm subsidies. The card checks would be strike two this month in the minds of South Dakota voters.
At least I can be grateful we figured out Daschle’s charade and put in a solid conservative, John Thune.

WaltDakota on March 12, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Go Rabbit Chokers!!!

BigWyo on March 12, 2009 at 12:54 AM

RealDemocrat on March 12, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Quick, somebody through the blue-dogs a bone.
Truly I blame the 19 century robber-barons for this mess, treating anybody badly enough to make Marxism sound like a good idea should be a punishable offense. But I think if we hung all the union bosses. (any one who was more than a card carrying dues payer) the reorganized unions would be what they claim to be.

darktood on March 12, 2009 at 5:23 AM

I forgot my first thought.
brain hemorrhage = Getting smarter. What? Did the surgeon remove a crayon? :-)

darktood on March 12, 2009 at 5:30 AM

I cannot imagine anything worse for the working guys. This dungheap is 100% payback to union bosses for their unwavering support (bribes) of the politicos.

jsanderssr on March 12, 2009 at 7:19 AM

When the modern union movement began, under the likes of Samuel Gompers, the secret ballot was considered a non-negotiable point in union charters and contracts, to ensure that management could not intimidate workers into voting “no” on establishing a union in a workplace.

Now, with the unions’ political power fading (entirely due to their almost maniacal support of anti-American causes, both at home and abroad), they are now essentially demanding the abolishment of the secret ballot (which is what “Card Check” is all about, period) to ensure that they can intimidate workers into voting to establish or join unions.

Once more we see the wisdom of this statement, from a good many years ago;

Tyrants always have some slight shade of virtue; they support the laws before destroying them.

- Voltaire

clear ether

eon

eon on March 12, 2009 at 7:45 AM

The Messiah will NOT let this go, nither will Pelosi and Reid…

The PORK is about to flow like milk and honey…

Card Check or some form of payment to the thug Unions WILL HAPPEN, take it to the bank…

Unions are, along with the radicals, killing America…

The greed and anti-America views of Union workers is a shame…

They are as much to blame for the demise of the once great America as the far left Socialists are…

Mark Garnett on March 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM

eon on March 12, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Excellent point. Today’s union leaders are less like the principled and diplomatic Gompers, and more like the murderous thug Haywood, who was a fanboy of Lenin and Stalin.

PimFortuynsGhost on March 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Which means only one thing…people in red states are chhhhhh – u – mps

angryed on March 11, 2009 at 8:57 PM

We did kick Daschle out of office. You can’t say that anymore. :P

gryphon202 on March 12, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I wouldn’t read anything into this other than that Card Check doesn’t have enough votes. If it’s not going to pass anyway there is no political reason for Johnson to say he is in favor. Johnson is a pure politician, and very liberal. Last fall the entire theme of his campaign was “I voted against the $500 billion bank bailout.” Of course, now that he has been safely reelected, he has voted for every single spending bill since that time. Johnson has 5 1/2 years until he has to worry again about how he votes.

pitythefool on March 12, 2009 at 11:09 AM