Report: Most ethical Speaker evah “treats the Air Force like her personal airline”

posted at 7:11 pm on March 10, 2009 by Allahpundit

I’m as surprised as you are.

The following are a few highlights from the documents, which are linked in full below:

* In response to a series of requests for military aircraft, one Defense Department official wrote, “Any chance of politely querying [Pelosi’s team] if they really intend to do all of these or are they just picking every weekend?…[T]here’s no need to block every weekend ‘just in case’…” The email also notes that Pelosi’s office had, “a history of canceling many of their past requests.”

* One DOD official complained about the “hidden costs” associated with the speaker’s last minute changes and cancellations. “We have…folks prepping the jets and crews driving in (not a short drive for some), cooking meals and preflighting the jets etc.”…

* The documents also detail correspondence from intermediaries for Speaker Pelosi issuing demands for certain aircraft and expressing outrage when requested military planes were not available. “It is my understanding there are no G5s available for the House during the Memorial Day recess. This is totally unacceptable…The speaker will want to know where the planes are…” wrote Kay King, Director of the House Office of Interparliamentary Affairs. In a separate email, when told a certain type of aircraft would not be available, King writes, “This is not good news, and we will have some very disappointed folks, as well as a very upset [s]peaker.”

DrewM at Ace’s place thinks this’ll make for a dandy campaign commercial. Could be; leeching off taxpayers in the middle of a depression certainly is tasty red meat, as the sporadic outrage over TARP recipients paying their brokers exorbitant bonuses proves. The problem is, Pelosi’s been doing this for years — and getting criticized for it in major media organs — and it hasn’t stuck yet. How likely is it that it’s going to get traction while the country’s still high on Hopenchange?

In fairness to Madam Speaker, she may be the worst abuser of the privilege but she’s hardly the only one. Remember this oldie but goodie?

Comments

This is exactly why we need term limits on congressmen and senators. Their actions (and inactions) affect many more American citizens than those people they represent.

RMCS_USN on March 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM

She is a complete and utter disgrace and anyone who votes for her should be in a mental institution.

WisCon on March 10, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I think she offered to fly coach but for security reasons she has to do what they want to protect her.

getalife on March 10, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Oh please you cant be serious. Air Pelosi has insisted on having the best military aircraft the day she took office.

Google Cache of a HA story dating back to 2007.

F15Mech on March 10, 2009 at 10:05 PM

right4life on March 10, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Your choice, but we were really trying to ignore ditzthrulife until the old geezer came up with more substitutive conversation. He be inviso to me.

hawkdriver on March 10, 2009 at 10:07 PM

This is a much better way to spend “our treasure” than bringing democracy to a dictatorship.

No-bid contracts in Iraq send liberals into seizures and out into the streets, but Pelosi using the same money to keep from having to pay airfare…eh…not so much.

29Victor on March 10, 2009 at 10:08 PM

hawkdriver on March 10, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Great plan. Count me in.

OmahaConservative on March 10, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Yes, well listening to her, I’m not surprised. Over the years, I have found that women who use that fake sweet and reasonable tone that she fancies, are usually quite spoiled and manipulative behind it all. She appears to be no exception.

jeanie on March 10, 2009 at 10:13 PM

“Taken together, these documents show that Speaker Pelosi treats the Air Force like her personal airline,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. “Not only does Speaker Pelosi issue unreasonable requests for military travel, but her office seems unconcerned about wasting taxpayer money with last minute cancellations and other demands.”

661 thousand lost their jobs last month. Pelosi and President TelePrompter fly first class using taxpayer money. Out of control……….

TN Mom on March 10, 2009 at 10:14 PM

WASHINGTON

Reversing Rising Oceans to be Delayed Due to Excessive Congressional and POTUS Carbon Emissions

Please continue your conservation efforts. Your government will join you shortly.

swede7 on March 10, 2009 at 10:14 PM

hawkdriver on March 10, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I have a bad habit of getting roped into teaching the third and fourth grade boys at my church. Almost every time there is a kid or two who “acts out” solely for attention and disrupts the whole class so no one can learn. I mean some of these kids will intentionally make their own team lose in a contest just to get the attention of being yelled at by their teammates. It’s really sad.

I ignore the kid unless he is acting properly and teach my other students to do the same.

Without fail either the kid straightens up or stops showing up and we are able to hold class without disruption. It makes me sad when they leave, but sadder when they stay and no child learns anything (except that misbehaving gets you attention).

29Victor on March 10, 2009 at 10:15 PM

29Victor on March 10, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don’t mind conversation with folks that you can disagree with. Engage with, but some really just do say the most outragous things for attention.

BTW, I meant to ask you on a thread some time ago, is 29 Victor an old MOS?

hawkdriver on March 10, 2009 at 10:19 PM

BTW, I meant to ask you on a thread some time ago, is 29 Victor an old MOS?

hawkdriver on March 10, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Yes sir. Fixed station microwave radio repairman. And yours?

29Victor on March 10, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Yes sir. Fixed station microwave radio repairman. And yours?

29Victor on March 10, 2009 at 10:29 PM

153DH Standardization Instructor Pilot.

hawkdriver on March 10, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Jdripper on March 10, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Gawd… she always looks like her eyes are gonna pop right outta her head.

ErinF on March 10, 2009 at 10:43 PM

153DH Standardization Instructor Pilot.

hawkdriver on March 10, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Your job sounds a lot more fun than mine. So “hawk” = Blackhawk and “diver”… Got it.

29Victor on March 10, 2009 at 10:48 PM

29Victor on March 10, 2009 at 10:48 PM

There is no job or any soldier that was not crucial. Thanks for your service my friend. Soldier On!

hawkdriver on March 10, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Hey I just got infected with a virus by clicking the link in the article you big fat jerk! There is a virus using a PDF vulnerability on the judicial watch site!

kaltes on March 10, 2009 at 11:05 PM

hawkdriver:

Please write your book, I’d buy it! :)

Merovign on March 10, 2009 at 11:06 PM

FYI this is how I got infected by opening the judicial watch site:

kaltes on March 10, 2009 at 11:14 PM

kaltes on March 10, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Yeah, I got one on the judicial watch site, too. I thought it was just me.

darwin-t on March 10, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Her(Nancy’s) problem, as I see it, she has reached an age(and believe I know what I’m talking about as I reached it before she did)where she’s tired of arguing or brooking anyone elses opinion because she’s totally sure she’s right and having to switch gears or make accomodation is just too much hassle any more.. She’s not of course, but there’s no one around to challenge that. I don’t know where this will all end up, but you can bet it will come apart sooner or later–no way to avoid it as time and events take their toll. Just a matter of time.

jeanie on March 10, 2009 at 11:18 PM

can anyone tell me why my spyware and anti virus went crazy when I hit the first link ( I suppose a .gov site?
I’m as surprised as you are.
wtf?

seesalrun on March 10, 2009 at 11:26 PM

ahhh perhaps should have went to page 3 of comments. Here we go my friends. The show begins, no?

seesalrun on March 10, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Who’s with me in digging a moat around San Fransisco—remove it from the mainland (like removing a tumor)—and declaring it 51st of our 57 states? Sounds tedious but it offers jobs too.

FontanaConservative on March 10, 2009 at 11:44 PM

They are partying like it was 1999 Paris in 1789.

I can’t decide whose melon drops first into the basket, Frank’s, Pelosi’s, Reid’s or the Bed Crapper in Chief.

Au revoir.

NoDonkey on March 10, 2009 at 9:11 PM

big blade = simultaneous action.

darktood on March 10, 2009 at 11:51 PM

FontanaConservative on March 10, 2009 at 11:44 PM

How about if we just dig a moat around San Francisco and call it a day – we don’t declare them anything?

rightthinkr on March 11, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Well, come on guys. She’s giving us some jobs via Spendulose… We should be grateful that Queen Nan looks out for us commoners.

Upstater85 on March 11, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Haven’t looked at the first 2 pages, but wasn’t she one of those screeching at the automobile company CEO’s for flying to D.C. in jets that the companies owned?

I remember 2007 when she decided she was entitled to a jet just like Air Force 1 instead of that puny little jet like Hastert was using. After all, IT would have to stop to refuel once on its way back to San Fran.

/gads what a narcissistic, self-important [censored] [censored]

AZfederalist on March 11, 2009 at 12:46 AM

rightthinkr on March 11, 2009 at 12:00 AM
Sounds good enough to me.

FontanaConservative on March 11, 2009 at 12:57 AM

“Speaker Pelosi came under fire in 2007 for requesting a 42-seat Air Force carrier to ferry the Speaker and her staff back and forth between San Francisco, CA and Washington, DC. Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert was allowed access to a 12-seat commuter jet”

One of the most frighten things about this story is the inability of these government “folks” to read and understand spec sheets.

Or perhaps they are unaware how many miles there are tween East cost to West coast aprox 3000 mile.

First, the plan Hastert’s Aurora, Ill used was a C-21 Lear Jet 35A business jet.

The AF version is an “aeromedical evacuations aircrafttransporting one litter or five ambulatory patients during aeromedical evacuations.

The squadron that flys these is, or was at Scott AFB, IL,

Hastert’s is from Aurora, Ill.

The C-21 (Hastert’s plane)has an non-stop range of 2,306 miles,

NOTE: less than 3000 miles,

this is important, remember this, K!

The C-20 is a Gulfstream IV(4)has an non-stop range depending on the model of
C-20B, 4,250 miles
C-20H, 4,850 miles

NOTE: MORE than 3000 miles, this is important, remember this, K!

Pelosi rejects the C-20,

because she says “it can not fly the 2,800-mile trip from Washington, D.C. to the San Francisco Bay Area, without Refueling.

Remember what I told you to remember?

Yes, a C-20B, range, 4,250 miles, it can fly the 2,800-mile trip from Washington, D.C. to the San Francisco Bay Area no problem,

with 1450 to 2050 miles to spare.

Someone is lying or incredibly stupid, or both.

Obviously Pelosi reason for rejecting the C-20 is BOGUS.

The C-32 (the big fat one with 200 passengers!)

Is a Boeing 757-200. The 200 is a model number not a passenger number.

Range: 5,500 nautical miles unrefueled range
Load: 45 passengers

A C-32 is also AirForce 2 the VP plane.

The scary thought is these are the idiots dealing with the economy and OUR money!

DSchoen on March 11, 2009 at 3:47 AM

umm… G5? as in Gulfstream?

Last week, it was Cessna. And Hawker/Beech before that.

Yeah, Good Jorb there folks

CaveatEmpty

The
C-37A is a Gulfstream V (5) aircraft
Range: 6,300 miles (5,500 nautical miles) normal cruise
Load: 12 passengers

For some reason Pelosi thinks this plane can not fly the 2800 miles without refueling.

DSchoen on March 11, 2009 at 4:32 AM

hawkdriver

This 71Q mildly disagrees.
I cherish my brief time (3 years) in the Army, but I look back at those years behind a Selectric in the S-1 and sometimes wonder if I really “served”.

SKYFOX on March 11, 2009 at 6:06 AM

THE MOST HATED WOMAN IN AMERICA. Good job Nan.

marklmail on March 11, 2009 at 8:07 AM

WisCon on March 10, 2009 at 10:03 PM

They already are, its called San Francisco.

Marine_Bio on March 11, 2009 at 8:34 AM

THE MOST HATED WOMAN IN AMERICA. Good job Nan.

marklmail on March 11, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Worst Speaker of the House, ever!

That’s saying something, considering Dick Gebhardt once held that gavel.

NoDonkey on March 11, 2009 at 8:43 AM

But she’s stimulating the economy by making the “folks” prep the jets and the crews drive in to…NOT fly to Frisco! They’ll spend $$$ in Washington, rather than wasting time in red-state Virginia defending the country. (/sarc).

Taxpayers? They vote Republican–who cares about them?

Steve Z on March 11, 2009 at 9:57 AM

FontanaConservative on March 10, 2009 at 11:44 PM

I second that motion. Maybe Republicans can win Senate seats in the rest of California.

Steve Z on March 11, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Ugh! She is trying to save the EARTH!

Elektra on March 11, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Her self importance is astounding! As far as I’m concerned the best she rates is a bus!

GFW on March 10, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Too many particulate emissions. How about a bicycle?

Steve Z on March 11, 2009 at 10:15 AM

When Speachless Phuloshit demands a C-5 (forward knelling aft loading) to fly her and no one else from D.C. to anywhere my concerns for stability will confirmed.

MSGTAS on March 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

MSGTAS on March 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

No flight attendants on the C-5, so she won’t be flying that…

The DV unit at Andrews has:
C-32’s –the 757-200
C-37’s –the G-V’s
C-20’s –the G-III’s
C-40’s –the 737 BBJ (Boeing Business Jet)
and the two 747’s that serve as AF 1.

The C-21’s (Lear 35’s) are in a different squadron, but also at Andrews. As was mentioned previously, Hastert primarily flew the C-20 and the C-9 (now mostly retired).

That’s a lot of metal to move some pretty worthless meat.

phat on March 11, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Didn’t we buy her a new broom when she became speaker?

Bad Bear Dog on March 11, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Maybe you little people should, in the words of Charles Rangel, mind your own g-d damn business. This is the aristrocracy of The One we’re talking about, and we should demand that they travel in luxury to relax after giving us the business, er, ah, doing the public’s business. Um, yeah…

Wyznowski on March 11, 2009 at 11:14 AM

When the leadership of our country is ruled by human trash like Dirty Harry and Nancy Peloser with a brainwashed robot for president like Obarbie then you have to go up to go to Hell.

volsense on March 11, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Here’s yur G5, right HERE!

[grabbing]

The Ritz on March 11, 2009 at 11:19 AM

BEOYCTH
*burps up Coke*

Badger40 on March 11, 2009 at 12:55 PM

BEOYCTH BEYOTCH
*burps up Coke*

Badger40 on March 11, 2009 at 12:55 PM
DUH.

Badger40 on March 11, 2009 at 12:56 PM

It is a testament to the professionalism of our men and women in uniform that one of them hasn’t lost it and tossed her out of the aircraft (without a parachute) at 35,000 feet during one of these trips.

Y-not on March 11, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Y-not on March 11, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Or “nosed it in” to save America… Sacrifice…

Mark Garnett on March 11, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I’ve got an idea to help Nancy Pelosi travel.

It’s environmentally friendly.

A catapult.

NoDonkey on March 11, 2009 at 1:36 PM

A catapult.

NoDonkey on March 11, 2009 at 1:36 PM

DOH! Love it!

Badger40 on March 11, 2009 at 1:41 PM

This 71Q mildly disagrees.

SKYFOX on March 11, 2009 at 6:06 AM

BS, of course you did. The majority of all of the services is a support roll. I’d be a mighty cranky guy without S1 to help with the admin stuff I can’t do for myself.

hawkdriver on March 11, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I would love to see her travel coach sometime.

bluelightbrigade on March 11, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Another point that’s being overlooked (I think).

That lying scumbag Bush, playing on our and Congresses fears forced the House Speaker to use an USAF jet because of the GWOT.

As we all know, cuz the dems told us so, there is NO real GWOT and now that BUSHit is gone, no threat of a terrorist attack!
YEY!!!

So why is Pelosi still using an AF jet when the rational is no longer valid?

Just asking.

DSchoen on March 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM

As the Madame of the House of Ill Repute, Madame Nancy, like he S&M creature ‘Barnie’ know there is no shame for a Congrestitute.

SeniorD on March 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM

“That is not the story. The story is where and how did the US Air Force get all of those G-5s? That is the big story. Does everyone realize of those G-5s were reduced to gold they would cost less then what the government has paid for them.
Jdripper on March 10,”

C-37A Gulfstream V aircraft
Inventory: Active force, 9; Air National Guard, 0; Reserve, 0
Unit Cost: $36 million (1998 constant dollars)
Range: 6,300 miles (5,500 nautical miles) normal cruise
Load: 12 passengers

Background
Andrews Air Force Base, Md., operates 4
MacDill AFB, Fla., operates 3
Hickam AFB, Hawaii, operates 1
Chievres Air Base, Belgium operates 1

Maximum Takeoff Weight: 90,500 pounds (41,050 kilograms)

Humm?
Interesting point Jdripper!

What is the glide ratio and lift-to-drag ratio of a 90,500 pound brick of gold?

Think that might be why the AF buys air planes and not bricks of gold?

DSchoen on March 11, 2009 at 4:47 PM