Great news: Obama fumbled Brown visit because he’s in over his head

posted at 4:19 pm on March 7, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

After insulting Gordon Brown during the British prime minister’s visit this week by ignoring protocol and cheaping out on the traditional gift exchange, the UK media has erupted in outrage.  The Obama White House has now started to recognize the firestorm the new President created with our closest ally, and wants to assure the Brits that he meant no disrespect.  Instead, Obama apparently wants to assure them that he’s simply in over his head and floundering (via Radio Equalizer):

Sources close to the White House say Mr Obama and his staff have been “overwhelmed” by the economic meltdown and have voiced concerns that the new president is not getting enough rest.

British officials, meanwhile, admit that the White House and US State Department staff were utterly bemused by complaints that the Prime Minister should have been granted full-blown press conference and a formal dinner, as has been customary. They concede that Obama aides seemed unfamiliar with the expectations that surround a major visit by a British prime minister. …

Allies of Mr Obama say his weary appearance in the Oval Office with Mr Brown illustrates the strain he is now under, and the president’s surprise at the sheer volume of business that crosses his desk.

A well-connected Washington figure, who is close to members of Mr Obama’s inner circle, expressed concern that Mr Obama had failed so far to “even fake an interest in foreign policy”. …

The American source said: “Obama is overwhelmed. There is a zero sum tension between his ability to attend to the economic issues and his ability to be a proactive sculptor of the national security agenda.

“That was the gamble these guys made at the front end of this presidency and I think they’re finding it a hard thing to do everything.”

I’m not sure which is worse.  At least if he meant to snub Brown, it would suggest a certain competence at this brand of diplomacy.  Instead, we’re told that the Obama White House and their staff are just a bunch of incompetents who got in over their heads.

Which is, of course, the point we made continuously over the last two years.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 13 14 15 16

Which choice would you choose?

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:48 PM

House Republicans promoted an alternative approach that focused on creating the economic conditions to attract capital into the banks. It got a lot of coverage on HuffPo, the DKos and all the major networks….how did you miss it>?/s/

suspend capital gains taxes to encourage capital to enter the market
suspend the mark=to=market accounting rules
also, it
laid out a path to move Fannie and Freddie towards privatization (What Prez proposed that back in the 80′s? ; Hint, he wasn’t a socialist)

Red State State of Mind on March 8, 2009 at 9:14 PM

bush did the right thing

Finally… a collection of words from you that I agree with completely. Not quite a full sentence, but it’s a start. I could finish it for you… but then I’d have to go off topic.

RalphyBoy on March 8, 2009 at 9:15 PM

This is incredible, simply stupefying

The [Obama] official dismissed any notion of the special relationship, saying: “There’s nothing special about Britain. You’re just the same as the other 190 countries in the world. You shouldn’t expect special treatment.”

Entelechy on March 8, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Red State State of Mind on March 8, 2009 at 9:14 PM

No, the Presidents had two choices and listening to the House gop was not one.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:17 PM

swede7 on March 8, 2009 at 9:07 PM

The FDIC chair might be asking for a bailout a few times this year too… So…..

RalphyBoy on March 8, 2009 at 9:17 PM

getaclue
Yeah, genious Geithner is kickin A keeping the banks going.

swede7 on March 8, 2009 at 9:17 PM

RalphyBoy on March 8, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Off topic is most of this thread.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:18 PM

The question now is if Tim is blowing it by not fully socialing the banks.

Shelby and McCain say let them fail.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Boy Emperor Obama and General Wrong-way Turbo Geithner are doing a financial version replay of WWI. In WWI million of troops were sent into a meat grinder and killed with little, if any, advancement in battlefield position achieved. Now Boy Emperor Obama and General Wrong-way Turbo Geithner are sending trillions of dollars into a pork grinder/Black Hole with little, if any, advancement in the economy being made.

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.
- Karl Marx

MB4 on March 8, 2009 at 9:18 PM

swede7 on March 8, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Not sure about that one. The ones that predicted this mess say full socialization is the only solution now. They say he is dithering.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 9:07 PM

You sure did. I’m still laughing at the persistence of getalife though. He sure loves his president.

I was pretty partial to my Commander In Chief too when the entire liberal world was trying to destroy his will. He took everything they had and just stared them right back. I wish he would have been more like liberals and attacked back though. He was too nice to a bunch of folks who didn’t deserve his generousity.

I’m curious though getastrife, did you support the war before obama?

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I’m a good boy, loved my mamma, love Allah, and “my” America too.
I’m a good boy, crazy ‘bout Ayers, love Alinsky, and my argula too.
And it’s a long day, livin’ in denial, but there’s a bball court, and I don’t have to work for a while.
And I’m a bad boy, ‘cause I don’t have a clue, I’m a bad boy, for breaking America’s heart in two…
And the economy is free, free falling.
Yeah the economy is free, free falling.
And all the vampires walkin’ through the Congress keep sending stimulus bills down Pennsylvania Avenue.
And all the bad boys are standin’ in Soro’s shadow, and the good guys are home with broken 401k’s.
And I’m free falling.
Yeah I’m free, free falling.

Such a Heartbreaker…

My apologies to Tom Petty

Gohawgs on March 8, 2009 at 9:22 PM

deserve his “generosity”..

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 9:22 PM

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 9:21 PM

You know I did.

Remember this?

I never ever want my country to fail.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM

You mean like the man with many houses McCain?

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM

LOL! This one fails on so many levels it’s sad.

Johnny Mac doesn’t own the houses, his wife and kids and family trusts do. Hardly unusual. Democrats like Ted Kennedy do it all the time.

But what really busts you on this one is that the Democrats’ 2004 “Presidential Candidate”, who served in Vietnam (and Cambodia, both at the same time) at the time of his “candidacy” actually himself owned an ultra-pricey Beacon Hill brownstone in Bawston. It’s assessed for nearly 7 million dollars. At the same time, his wife owned the following:

Mama T’s estate in Pennsylvania, “Fox Hall”, which she inherited from her first husband. You may remember him, he was a Heinz (as in ketchup and pickles). Value? $3.7 million.

A luxurious ski house in pricey Ketchum, Idaho, aka Hemingway-land. Assessed value?
$4.9 million

Luxury brick home in the trendy Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, DC: valued at $4.7 mil…

Waterfront home on exclusive Brant Point on the effete snob refuge known as Nantucket: valued at nearly $10 million. He owned this before his latest gigolo opportunity fell off the turnip truck and married him.

He and Mama T also sold their estate in Tuscany for something like $7 million. No, the Maestro from Seinfeld wasn’t the buyer.

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM

“There’s nothing special about Britain. You’re just the same as the other 190 countries in the world, including America. You shouldn’t expect special treatment, anymore than Americans should.”

Entelechy on March 8, 2009 at 9:15 PM

MB4 on March 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Red State State of Mind on March 8, 2009 at 9:14 PM

No, the Presidents had two choices and listening to the House gop was not one.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Huh? That isn’t even a coherent sentence! What Presidents had two choices?
The Houe GOP members had this proposal which could have been passed in the House and then sent to the Senate. So how is ‘listening to the House gop’ not an option?

You rarely provide any facts to support your arguments and when you try to lay out facts they don’t make sense….

Red State State of Mind on March 8, 2009 at 9:25 PM

What will Boy Wonder do when North Korea launches it’s next missile?

I’m putting my money on hiding under his desk and sucking his thumb.

darwin-t on March 8, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Getathot
Just who are “the ones”. I thought there was just dear leader.

“The ones” I’m reading say just the opposite. Guess you see what you want to see.

swede7 on March 8, 2009 at 9:26 PM

No, the Presidents had two choices and listening to the House gop was not one.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:17 PM

What happened to bipartisanship, the common good, coming together and finding common ground?

fossten on March 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Off topic is most of this thread.

Gee… I thought the topic was… ‘Obama is a big fat doodoo head.’
Not, Bush and the things he did that kept this country safe (including the undeserving loony lefties) after the guy what’s his name passed on capturing a few times did a evil rotten nasty thing that the leftie loons thought Bush Co did (especially that Rosie from McDonalds Farm loser-tard).
Maybe I should scroll up and check… Yup… It’s the doodoo head thing.

RalphyBoy on March 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM

I never ever want my country to fail.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Then you must of logical necessity want Obama to fail as it is impossible to join the concept of Obama’s success and America’s success together unless you shut the eyes of your mind and keep them shut by force.

MB4 on March 8, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I never ever want my country to fail.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I do, especially when it embarks on the road to socialism, communism, nihilism, and other -isms.

Entelechy on March 8, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Figuring that our enemies will realize he is unlikely to win a second term and will take advantage of us before he leaves office, I’d expect to see one or both of the following:

1: Russia ‘liberates’ the Ukraine after a trumped up provocation where ethinc Russians are ‘mistreated’

2: China announces the ‘reunion of Taiwan into the Chinese nation’, and blockades the island, while threatening to land forces

Red State State of Mind on March 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Agreed. Furthermore, Obama, under his “never miss the opportunities presented by a crisis” (paraphrased) logic, needs anything to happen that furthers a “state of fear” over the general population. There must be threats both immediate (economy) and far (geopolitical) that make the American public want to cower down under the massively expanded government umbrella Obama is creating at the moment:

* Create a permanent taxless underclass that depends on the Government for jobs, programs, and financial aid, which requires growing the Government while simultaneously tanking the economy; and

* Weaken American influence in the world so that threats from outside are real, immediate, and long-smoldering (like the Cold War under Carter).

Obama’s one Achillies Heel in all of this is his propensity to play Chicagoland-style grudge politics. There are many ways the US can act, both economically and geopolitically, to cause harm to Britain. If Obama wants to punish the UK for the way it handled Kenya (from Obama’s point of view, that is), as an example, he could have easily smiled and gave Gordon Brown his moment in the sun, while announcing the day after Brown left the US that we were, say, going to close our military installations there. Remember how panicked the Germans were when Rumsfeld floated such an idea there, back in 2002?

But no. Obama is outmatched in that he gives Brown a simple, juvenile, schoolboy snub.

Conservatives would do well, IMHO, to note this weakness in Obama, and exploit it.

Wanderlust on March 8, 2009 at 9:30 PM

When they said they were out of ideas, they were not joking.

It’s a mess that will take years to clean up.

Have a great evening.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Red State State of Mind on March 8, 2009 at 9:25 PM

He’s merely reeling from being so convincingly PWNED by this many posters at the same time. My favorite threads are those when getalife and DTMH try to argue economics with HA posters.

a capella on March 8, 2009 at 9:31 PM

If you supported the war, you supported Bush then getalife. That’s good to know. There is a redeeming value in you.

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Have a great evening.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Nurse Kratchet’s there for the sponge bath huh, (wink wink) Enjoy!

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Nope, Hawk

Get a clue has to finish his homework, tomorrow is a school day…

Gohawgs on March 8, 2009 at 9:34 PM

I never ever want my country to fail.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Then how can you support Obama… If he succeeds, American becomes less, and being a failure becomes a valued way to live.

RalphyBoy on March 8, 2009 at 9:35 PM

BTW as I recall the majority of the Cindy McCain real estate holdings are condominium units, not luxury estates on pricey land. For our uneducated Democrats here, most condominiums include no ownership of the land itself.

Doesn’t that make the McCains “Socialists”?

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Can we make fun of his big, floppy, Dumbo ears yet? If not, somebody please let me know when it is. I await verification.

darwin-t on March 8, 2009 at 9:35 PM

darwin-t on March 8, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Yer a racist. You know that, right.

swede7 on March 8, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Get a clue has to finish his homework, tomorrow is a school day…

Gohawgs on March 8, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Four million times five million is twelve million, and four billion times six billion is thirteen billion, and four trillion times seven trillion is … … . OK, that’s enough math for now. Now for some geography. The center of the Universe was Iraq but now it’s Afghanistan, America has 57 states, Minnesota is in the tropics. I think I will come back and do some more geography later as that is enough for now. Now for some religion. Jews were behind 9/11, Palestinians are victims, Saudi Arabia is our good friend and Islam is a great religion of peace. OK, homework done. Now for my sponge bath!

Cheshire Cat on March 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Nah, swede7

darwin-t is being a speciest. You’d think with Horton ears like that that ‘the one’ could hear a clue…

Gohawgs on March 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Gohawgs on March 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Good point. I mean on Barry’s head.
Sorry.

swede7 on March 8, 2009 at 9:48 PM

What is the record for posts in a thread?

winston on March 8, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Cheshire Cat on March 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Too funny…well done!

winston on March 8, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Comrad Obama is right! Lets diss our current friends, the Brits, while we brown nose our traditional friends like Iran!

kayo on March 8, 2009 at 10:09 PM

So, with your logic it is a bush depression.

My original point.

Thank you.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Obama. Waters. Franks.

unclesmrgol on March 8, 2009 at 10:14 PM

I never ever want my country to fail.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:24

No, but I’ll bet you were in the 51% of Democrats who wanted Bush to fail.

unclesmrgol on March 8, 2009 at 10:16 PM

I am sick and tired of hearing the word “Inherited” from BO or any of his lackies or his apologists or any frackin one else. Its All His, Bought and paid for with the hundreds of millions he spent on the campaign!

Inherited, my a$$!

kayo on March 8, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Brit Hume on Obama’s Bear Market:

WALLACE: Well, as we’ve been discussing, the stock market is officially in bear territory, down exactly 20% since the Obama inauguration. Brit, John McCain didn’t want to answer the question, but I’ll ask you. Is this the Obama bear market?

HUME: It’s kind of a bear market within a bear market. The market was already down tremendously over the previous year, and I think most people entered this period of the new Obama administration thinking that it probably was bottoming out and that he would give by his very presence and by what he would offer real hope and that it would at least change the psychology a bit. It has changed the psychology, it seems, for the worse and I think he does bear responsibility for that, and the impression that he has managed to leave is that he’s too busy with massive new spending and a scatter shot stimulus bill which was reckless and breathless new initiatives. On top of that you have this budget with all these breathtaking new initiatives to reorder our lives in a multitude of ways.

In the meantime, first order of business, the unfinished business of the previous administration. First order of business for the new administration, the financial crisis, the credit crisis. And, so far, no plan of any discernible shape of dealing with that. A couple of pieces in place as Governor Kaine pointed out. But that’s what the market is looking for. It hasn’t come. It’s very hard. But, that’s the big problem.

INC on March 8, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Ugh, get me a flyswatter already. Typically I do not address trolls but this time, I’m making an exception.

I’ve been reading all 15 pages of comments and getagrip, you have spewed the same fricken thing: “it’s Bush’s fault, it’s Bush’s fault, it’s Bush’s fault”….oh shut the hell up!

You have been educated many times over, you incompetent baboon! Many posters here have given you COLD, HARD FACTS and you refuse to pay attention. All you want to say is, “It’s Bush’s fault” over and over again.

You are a damn moron who is not here to learn. You add nothing to the conversation. You are here only to piss, bitch and moan that every last bad thing that has ever happened to you in your entire life, EVER, is all Bush’s fault.

It’s time to cut that string on your back, Chatty Cathy because you are old and tired.

SerenityFL on March 8, 2009 at 11:03 PM

It is because the banks are insolvent (the bush depression).

Really? The Banks are insolvent? Which Banks, specifically? You do realize that according to the
FDIC there are upwards of 8500 Banks in this country, right? I didn’t think so. Otherwise, no sane person would have made such an idiotic statement.

So,it’s your position that ALL 8500 Banks in the country are insolvent? Please provide the data to support your position. Otherwise, you are simply talking out of your ass. (But, what else is new?)

Fed45 on March 8, 2009 at 11:11 PM

This is all getting very scary, a lot faster than I thought it would.
I figured the country could make it all right and come out in one piece after 4 years. Now I’m not so sure
Something big and bad this way comes

kangjie on March 8, 2009 at 11:20 PM

This asshole is in it for the perks and the fame. Barry and the Hulk partying hardy in their new digs.

jdflorida on March 8, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Queue the theme to “The Jeffersons”:

Well weeze movin on up,
To da wes side.
To some deeee-lux gubmint housing in D.C
Movin on up
To da wes side.
We finally got a piece uff da pie.

Fish don’t fry in da kitchen;
Beans don’t burn on da grill.
Took a whole lotta tryin’
Just ta git up dat hill.
Now weeze up in da big leagues
Gettin’ our turn at bat.
As long as we live, it’s you and me baby
There ain’t nutin’ wrong wit dat.

Well weeze movin on up,
To da wes side.
To sum deeee-lux gubmint housing in D.C
Movin on up
To da wes side.
We finally got a piece uff da piiiiiiiiieeeiiii.

Fed45 on March 8, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Cheshire Cat on March 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM

You missed one-O’bama said that the war on terror would have to focus on the “hills between Afghanistan and Pakistan”.

Those “hills” are 12,000 to over 25,000 feet tall.

BTW Barry’s 57 states remark was his payback to Mama Teresa Heinz. Did you know her robot served in Vietnam?

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Yer a racist. You know that, right.

What’s to say his big ears don’t come from the cracker-ass
side of his family?

Fed45 on March 9, 2009 at 12:00 AM

So in case Brown didn’t get the message that Obama’s slights were intentional, Obama is going to rub the insult in by celebrating an ex-IRA chief?

INC on March 8, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Check this out, 2 British soldiers shot dead in execution-style killing at barracks today: Real IRA claims responsibility for Antrim barracks murder

This is worse than insulting.

Fortunata on March 9, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Still waiting…. Bairy’s birth certificate. Transperancy indeed.

BHO Jonestown on March 9, 2009 at 12:15 AM

They got a boxed edition of America’s classics…
That’s a gift with “class” written all over it!

Cliff Taylor on March 9, 2009 at 12:26 AM

a capella on March 8, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Those are my favorite threads, too. I also think those are among the most useful threads. Drive-by troll commenters don’t understand what these threads are all about. When one of these clowns drops a two-sentence snark bomb, and the regular posters start kicking them around, the result is a lot of energetic, thoughtful commentary that just *might* get a lurker or casual poster thinking. No exchange of blog posts is likely to win someone like getalife over to conservative thought, and such exchanges have even less chance of prompting Hot Air’s posters to embrace Obama National Socialism… but people with open, curious minds are quietly reading those posts. Only a small portion of readers ever sign up to make a comment. How many of the silent lurkers watch our robo-trolls make fools of themselves, and begin rethinking their opinions about the great issues of the day?

So, in that spirit…

When they said they were out of ideas, they were not joking.

It’s a mess that will take years to clean up.

Have a great evening.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Well, they ought to resign then. All of them. Plenty of people with plenty of ideas are waiting to move in and do what Obama and his crew are hopelessly unable to do. Can anyone doubt that a mass resignation of Obama, his cabinet, and prominent Democrats would make the market skyrocket, and blow the Dow through the roof?

If Obama would like to remain perched in the Oval Office for a while longer, here are some ideas for him to chew on, free of charge:

The economy is not defined by *money.* A person with a million dollars stuffed in his mattress produces zero economic activity. Obama’s “stimulus” plans, to the extent they are seriously intended to improve the economy at all, do nothing but shovel money around, devaluing the existing currency. Economics is about *transactions*, the exchange of goods and services, creating wealth by using money as a tool to allow *time* to be used more efficiently. Paying $50 for a pair of shoes is a bargain, because it would take you far more than $50 worth of effort to make comparable shoes for yourself; and it benefits the shoemaker, because it cost him less than $50 to produce the shoes. An improved economy requires more wealth creation, not more piles of dollar bills.

If the health of the economy is truly Obama’s top priority, he would propose measures to generate more wealth, which would involve lowering the cost of production, decreasing the staggering cost of regulations and tax laws, and encouraging greater investment in new business start-ups and capital improvements. In other words, pretty much the exact *opposite* of what he’s actually doing. Instead of blowing a trillion dollars on pork, he should give a trillion dollars back to the private sector through unprecedented tax breaks, particularly on payroll, capital gains, and capital improvements. What would galvanize the moribund economy more than the announcement of a six-month holiday on federal income taxes? And tax relief is *immediate* stimulus – the reduction of a cost businesses budget for months in advance. The administration openly admits it will take years before their “stimulus” payouts will have any effect on the economy, but a dramatic cut in corporate taxes would hit the economy immediately – it would reduce expenses on the second and third quarter 2009 budgets of companies.

If Obama wants to stimulate economic activity, he should give the economy *more* to do. Nationalization shrinks the private sector – privatization expands it. Dismantling inefficient government operations and giving their functions to private-sector corporations would help make those big tax cuts work on the federal balance sheet, and would provide immediate stimulus to the economy, because private companies would begin hiring and purchasing capital immediately. We could start with a miserably failed government enterprise wracked by bloated management, ridiculous union distortions of its labor market, and a product that declines in quality every year despite increasing amounts of money poured into it: the government education system. Abolish Jimmy Carter’s ridiculous Department of Education, hand the thousands of useless education-system bureaucrats their papers, dismantle the teachers’ unions with right-to-work laws for teachers, hand countless billions back to the taxpayers, and invite corporations to begin investing in the best possible educational facilities to compete for educational vouchers. It would produce a boom economy all by itself!

Deficit spending does not increase wealth, any more than a person with modest income who takes out a huge loan to buy a mansion is suddenly wealthy. Deficit spending on the scale Obama contemplates drags down the economy, because investors and business managers dread having to pay those huge future taxes, and they nervously watch the bond market tremble under the stress of financing a projected $15 trillion national debt. Reducing the deficit stimulates investment, as Ross Perot argued long ago. (Remember that? A remarkably successful third-party campaign, run by a goofy eccentric, and based almost entirely on a platform of deficit reduction? Those were the days, huh?) Getting our current deficits down will require massive cuts in government spending, and steps must be taken to defuse the ticking bomb of Social Security, which will soon explode in an ocean of red ink that will make Obama’s reckless deficits look puny by comparison. Why not design a bold plan to privatize Social Security through private investments, and health care through medical savings accounts – pumping investment capital into the marketplace, and increasing the net worth of citizens through savings accounts they own fully and completely?

So there’s my patriotic contribution to the success of the Obama presidency. If he has people monitoring Hot Air, he won’t be out of ideas any more.

Doctor Zero on March 9, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Doctor Zero on March 9, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Doc, Obama doesn’t care about your ideas, or anyone else’s.

It’s hard to get one’s head around that point. Most of us want life in general to be better. But Obama only wants his party to be better.

And he’ll run the US into the ground to accomplish his goals.

Wanderlust on March 9, 2009 at 12:38 AM

15 pages of comments?

I can’t leave for a day? Like my daughter. 4,500 text messages on her phone last month. Trust me, I’ll nip that.

Obama is going to send this country down the shitter. No mincing words, he’s a nightmare.

Ugly on March 9, 2009 at 1:22 AM

Most of us want life in general to be better. But Obama only wants his party glory to be better grander.

Wanderlust on March 9, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Entelechy on March 9, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Ugly on March 9, 2009 at 1:22 AM

BUT he won’t be able to take all of the credit. No, Queen Nancy will be right there with him.

Upstater85 on March 9, 2009 at 1:38 AM

Wanderlust on March 9, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Entelechy on March 9, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Most of us want life in general to be better. But Obama only wants his party glory power to be bettergrander limitless.

‘Night all.

tigerlily on March 9, 2009 at 1:53 AM

Wanderlust on March 9, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Entelechy on March 9, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Most of us want life in general to be better. But Obama only wants his party glory power to be better grander limitless.

Fixed it. Need to remember to preview.

tigerlily on March 9, 2009 at 1:56 AM

fossten on March 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM

just words? yep.

Ampersand on March 9, 2009 at 2:13 AM

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 7:17 PM

now THAT was a sick burn!

Ampersand on March 9, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Obama fumbles
The economy crumbles.

Substitute pretty much anything that has to do with America for ‘the economy’ and it still works.

Sad.

LickyLicky on March 9, 2009 at 4:07 AM

Doctor Zero on March 9, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Thank you for your very thoughtful responses. You make a good point about lurkers enjoying the flow of ideas. Your lucid explanations are great. I cut and paste your comments, with attribution, and teach others in my circle that don’t surf this net.
Others like JD also have good ideas. I will be more concerned for BHO’s mental and physical condition. May he get the help he needs to improve his presidential behavior.
Thank you all.

NaCly dog on March 9, 2009 at 5:27 AM

Incompetence and malfeasance are the hallmarks of this juvenile administration and yet the MSM continues to prop them up and refuses to report the truth. Of course it is difficult to see the truth with Ogabe’s butt cheeks pressed against your eyes. You’d think they’d have to come up for air sometime. Probably just in time to say, “What happened? Why are you locking me up? I was on your side.”

SKYFOX on March 9, 2009 at 5:50 AM

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Boy, this misquotation of O, master of all things, is getting tiresome. /sarc

He basically said there’s 60 states. He’d been to 57, one to go not counting Alaska and Hawaii (which his staff would not let him to go to).
He probably feels bad about the three that are always left out. Let’s hope he doesn’t try to hit all 60 on Air Force One. I’ll trying to think of the missing 10. Hmmmm, let’s see, there’s the State of Confusion, the State of Depression, the State of Despair, the State of Insolvency, the State of Weakness. I can’t think of the other five. Geography never was my strong suit.
Will this thread still be running when he (or America, take your pick) finally flames out?

darwin-t on March 9, 2009 at 6:02 AM

Cheap gifts are what a community organizer gives to the ignorant so they can get their vote…….still has that mind set I see!

grapeknutz on March 9, 2009 at 7:46 AM

Fox and Friends:

14-year old teenager Johathan did it again! Ed/Allah, can you get him access to post here so he can straighten some hardheaded nuts in this blog?

What fascinated me about this one, is that they treated him as a grown-up and posted video clips of Mac and Lindsey and he expanded on the Porkulus, was asked about the GOP/Limbaugh leadership non-issue and blasted O….

ProudPalinFan on March 9, 2009 at 8:53 AM

As we Americans have to brave the recession that Obama worsens everytime he or his staffers open his mouth… he gets the luxury of being “in over his head”?!!! Are you kidding me?! Incompetent.

freelyspeak on March 9, 2009 at 9:01 AM

But the filthy liar won. HE DOESN’T HAVE A CHOICE about what issues he deals with and which issues he ignores. There is only one President at a time and the filthy liar is even more of a trainwreck than I feared.

highhopes on March 9, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Oh he is exactly where I figured he would be. He clearly will go down as the worst president in us history. Bush was no prize, but obama,,,, wow, just wow.

He has done more damage in 2 months than bush did in the last 8 years.

sonofdy on March 9, 2009 at 9:39 AM

He is SURPRISED!!!! at the amount of business that comes across his desk???? he’s not getting enough rest??? What job did he think he was running for? community organizer of capital hill?? Jesus save us.

Willie on March 9, 2009 at 9:40 AM

darwin-t on March 9, 2009 at 6:02 AM

Great catch, it is 60 states
His “staff” did not allow him to go to Alaska and Hawaii. Has to blame someone else…I thought he was the “master leader”…

right2bright on March 9, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Doctor Zero on March 9, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Let us not forget, that the dems mantra of taxing businesses is a charade. Businesses do not pay taxes, their customers do.

Johan Klaus on March 9, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Just when I think Barry can’t be any more un-presidential, he starts whining about being tired and how hard his new job is. Our enemies are rejoicing at what a wimp he is.

txsurveyor on March 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Laura Ingraham is talking about this topic now.

OmahaConservative on March 9, 2009 at 10:22 AM

If a visit from Brown got him that nervous what happens if the Chinese fire on one of our ships or the North Koreans become aggressive? I would suspect that he would smoke a couple of packs of cigarettes, sweat profusely and hyperventilate. Good lord we’re in trouble.

rplat on March 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Johan Klaus on March 9, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Are you suggesting the Democrats are less than honest when they describe their policy platform?

Unless Democrat politicians have misled me, businesses are mindless, faceless entities with infinite resources, who pay whatever tax rate the government sees fit to impose without altering their behavior in the slightest. They are owned by faceless fat cats who spend their days using dollar bills to wallpaper the inside of their vaults. These fat cats never make any sort of charitable donations, and they earned all their money by tricking and exploiting working families, so they must be forced to hand over their income to the noble and enlightened government. They will happily pay whatever tax rate we see fit to impose on them, without making any attempt to avoid those taxes, as this would be unpatriotic – the Vice President said so. Working families are helpless naifs who can’t survive without enlightened government seeing to all their needs. No one in a working family owns any stock in any company anywhere, so no working family will suffer if we drop huge new taxes on corporations. And if those greedy capitalist running dogs try to pass any of the cost of taxes or regulations on to their noble working family consumers, why, we’ll just pass some laws telling them what price they have to charge for their products. Problem solved.

Doctor Zero on March 9, 2009 at 10:52 AM

community organizer of capital hill

Willie, you may have hit the nail on the head. That’s all he’s ever done – agitate. That’s what a community organizer DOES, it’s what Alinksy trained him to do, it’s all he knows how to do.

Only now instead of getting a group of 50 or 100 citizens feeling bad about their lives, he’s doing it to an entire nation, and he has to destroy the entire nation to make us all feel bad. He is evil and dangerous.

JustTruth101 on March 9, 2009 at 10:54 AM

JustTruth101 on March 9, 2009 at 10:54 AM

What bothers me most is that the excuse the filthy liar is too busy working on the economy to bother with foreign relations doesn’t hold water. The filthy liar isn’t working on the economy either. He’s waging full out retribution against those who oppose the socialist agenda of the left. He’s funding embryonic stem cells and giving ACORN a slush fund instead of doing anything to help the economy. He is a filthy liar who thinks the American public is too stupid to see his real agenda and what is going on.

The backlash, when it occurs, is going to be huge.

highhopes on March 9, 2009 at 11:00 AM

What a complete jackass. What an absolute terrible embarrassment. Sorry Brits, he is who we thought he was. No one listened.

rollthedice on March 9, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Poor baby. Not enough time to shoot hoops and show off his bod on a Hawaiian beach.

Funny how that guy who couldn’t put two sentences together (according to the MSM) always showed great courtesy to Tony Blair.

Obama likes to compare himself to FDR on his handling of our next “Great Depression”. But would FDR have ever DARED to snub Winston Churchill???

Thomas Edison once said that his inventions were 5% inspiration and 95% perspiration. For a man who has made a living by speechifying and writing about himself, welcome to the real world of “blood, sweat, and tears”. Will you still give a tax cut to us 95% who work by the sweat of our brows?

George W. Bush is 13 years older than Obama, and McCain is old enough to be his father. Grow up, Barry, and get to work!

NOW we find out that the great “Citizen of the World” was fakin’ it all along! When that phone rings at 3:00 AM, we’d better “Hope” that Hillary answers…

Steve Z on March 9, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Let me get this straight. Obama, super genius, and his staff of Clinton cronies, can’t survive a meeting with an ALLY?

Great – unable to face the challenge of hosting America’s closest friends, Obama is seeking to jump into the Middle East peace process.

hawksruleva on March 9, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Over 1,500 comments and rising. Somewhere this blog struck a raw nerve. And great comments from all stripes.

itsspideyman on March 9, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Let me put Obama’s approach to diplomacy this way:

When Hitler was preparing for war against Europe between 1937-1939 I don’t think he was dwelling on what gifts to bestow on his future foes or the delicacies of diplomacy. Instead what was he doing: preparing for war on a 24/7 basis with a single-minded focus.

Obama is a carbon-copy of Hitler except he is pursing in a single-minded manner the total destruction of the American capitalist system and the elimination of the Constitution, depriving Americans of their God-given rights and freedoms.

As the saying goes Obama’s got bigger fish to fry.

technopeasant on March 9, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I just want to know – how much longer will the media stand for the crying from their intern-in-chief? “We inherited all this stuff, wah wah – if only I didn’t have to do this part of the job, wah wah – it’s all too much for me, and it’s all the other president’s fault …” Good grief, I know an Alaskan who would have arrived with her big girl pants already on, ready to get to work. Instead we have junior skip, who doesn’t sem to know how to tell the truth or find competent people.

Point 2: Just for a moment imagine that Republicans controlled the house, senate and presidency … and America was in the middle of war, an economic crisis, and possible foreign policy crises, all with unemployment on the rise … and the Chair of the GOP and the White House Press Secretary both thought it was fine and dandy, and even fun, to attack a very vocal left-wing opponent … and they were even paying to put up billboards about it in Florida! Just imagine the media outrage (and Dem squawking) if Republicans were engaging in such juvenile, unprofessional behavior.

Finally, I was in DC over the weekend, and rode the Metro. Guess who’s face was on the ticket? Strange, I don’t recall Bush’s face being on the tickets prior to the election … wonder what the cost was for that little add-on, in the middle of an economic downturn? In fact, all this pomopous circus-stance reminds me of Iraq in the early 2000′s, when every town square and happy home had posters of, coincidentally, another self-loving dictator by name of Hussein …

eucher on March 9, 2009 at 12:13 PM

itsspideyman on March 9, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I’m betting the American public’s anger is rising to unprecedented levels. Hence the length of the thread.
But this is just one blunder after another & only a short time in office.
The next 3+ years are going to be REALLLLY long.

Badger40 on March 9, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Obama was just exhausted and overwhelmed by the burdens of the crisis, yet he mever misses Date Night with Michelle

I searched ‘Entertaining at the Obama white House’ and the top article in yahoo was Obama kicks up White House entertaining

Since the presidency changed hands less than six weeks ago, a burst of entertaining has taken hold of the iconic, white-columned home of America’s head of state. Much of it comes on Wednesdays

Exhausted Obama did skip the Conga line

Obama was also too busy having dinner at a restaurant down the road to follow the standard protocol (i.e. courtesy) and attend Geo. Bush’s farewell speech.

The explanation that they are amateurs does not jibe because most of Obama’s upper echelon are Clintistas, well aware of protocols. The Clinton crowd in general, in public, followed protocols carefully

Unless the lackies were trying to make a fool out of their employer and told him everyone gives a 25 DVD set to Heads of State and skips the pomp of a VIP press conference, and I doubt that, it is most likely the snubs were calculated by the boss, done for raw pleasure, and laughed at mightily in private

entagor on March 9, 2009 at 1:59 PM