Great news: Obama fumbled Brown visit because he’s in over his head

posted at 4:19 pm on March 7, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

After insulting Gordon Brown during the British prime minister’s visit this week by ignoring protocol and cheaping out on the traditional gift exchange, the UK media has erupted in outrage.  The Obama White House has now started to recognize the firestorm the new President created with our closest ally, and wants to assure the Brits that he meant no disrespect.  Instead, Obama apparently wants to assure them that he’s simply in over his head and floundering (via Radio Equalizer):

Sources close to the White House say Mr Obama and his staff have been “overwhelmed” by the economic meltdown and have voiced concerns that the new president is not getting enough rest.

British officials, meanwhile, admit that the White House and US State Department staff were utterly bemused by complaints that the Prime Minister should have been granted full-blown press conference and a formal dinner, as has been customary. They concede that Obama aides seemed unfamiliar with the expectations that surround a major visit by a British prime minister. …

Allies of Mr Obama say his weary appearance in the Oval Office with Mr Brown illustrates the strain he is now under, and the president’s surprise at the sheer volume of business that crosses his desk.

A well-connected Washington figure, who is close to members of Mr Obama’s inner circle, expressed concern that Mr Obama had failed so far to “even fake an interest in foreign policy”. …

The American source said: “Obama is overwhelmed. There is a zero sum tension between his ability to attend to the economic issues and his ability to be a proactive sculptor of the national security agenda.

“That was the gamble these guys made at the front end of this presidency and I think they’re finding it a hard thing to do everything.”

I’m not sure which is worse.  At least if he meant to snub Brown, it would suggest a certain competence at this brand of diplomacy.  Instead, we’re told that the Obama White House and their staff are just a bunch of incompetents who got in over their heads.

Which is, of course, the point we made continuously over the last two years.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 12 13 14 15 16

Unlike you (who I suspect are in the 18-35 age range given your maturity level), I actually witnessed the Carter years. One of the reasons today feels like Deja Vu is the fact that Carter supporters acted the exact same way. They tried to blame Carter’s horrid handling on the economy on the “Ford-Nixon Recession”.

It worked for a few months (Carter had actually much higher approval ratings than Obama has at this point in his presidency); but not for long…

Norwegian on March 8, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I’m actually surprised that Obama appears to be imploding so soon. He may still recover of course, but I would have bet just a couple of weeks ago that he’d easily get 8 years. I’m not so sure now. I believed during the campaign that he did not have what it takes to be CiC, which is why I voted against him, but I certainly didn’t expect so many screw-ups in less than two months!

You are right: Obama, like Carter, only has a few months to skate by blaming Bush. Eventually enough voters will not care anymore what his excuse is and the Dems will suffer the consequences at the polls.

Of course, I must say that I’m going to be really pissed if I have to vote GOP for Congress before I’m ready to again. I’ve been going third party as a protest for 2 elections now and haven’t seen the kind of change in the GOP that’s needed for me to trust them again. However, I’m suicidal either. I may just have to vote for the devil I despise to get rid of the SOB I really can’t stand.

JohnAGJ on March 8, 2009 at 5:50 PM

SimplyKimberly on March 8, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Too tired to adequately prepare for a visit from our closest ally, not too tired to party with his Wednesday homey’s. About the same level of maturity as my sixteen year old.

anniekc on March 8, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I will say it again. Let’s offer Obama the plane, the helicopter, the salary for life, if he will just go away and spend the rest of his useless life writing memoirs and doing teleprompter speeches to the clueless.

Are you sure that would be wise? If we stick by the Constitution that leaves Biden as president. Even worse, Pelosi if Joe suddenly has a mysterious “accident”…

God help us.

JohnAGJ on March 8, 2009 at 5:52 PM

However, I’m suicidal either.

Oops. Somewhere in there I do believe a “not” is needed. Then again the way things are going…

(just kidding)

JohnAGJ on March 8, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Biden would get to choose a VP (like Johnson and Ford did). And, may God forgive me, I actually think Plugs would be an improvement over this clown who is hell-bent on destroying our country.

califcon on March 8, 2009 at 5:55 PM

in over his head…

This is an opportune time for our enemies to take advantage of the situation, and they know it.

CliffHanger on March 8, 2009 at 5:59 PM

califcon on March 8, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Absolutely the best post of the day. Califcon nails it. Barry’s in it for the perks and the fame. Let this POS have his perks and fame and then he and angry Michelle should get the fu*k out of the White House so that an adult can move in and do some actual work.

jdflorida on March 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM

From the NYT-

Obama should NOT have applied for this job. Is ANY President given the luxury of dealing with only 1 issue at a time? And MOST Americans have more than 1 issue on their plate at a time too. You will not get ANY sympathy from me Mr O because you knew before you accepted the nomination that the next 4 years wouldn’t be easy and YOU said you could multi-task. I am sorry HE signed the dotted line.

journeyintothewhirlwind on March 8, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I read that Obama had other plans for the day when Brown visited, including talking to a group of Boy Scouts and some other group – I can’t remember what it was, but it was something of slightly more importance than the Boy Scouts, but not much.

Alana on March 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM

jdflorida on March 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Thanks, jd. I mean it, too. Even if we paid off the mortgage on his house and threw in a vacation home in Hawaii, it would still be chump change compared to what this clown is costing us every day he stays in office.

Who can negotiate this? Let him bow out for medical or family reasons. Let him save face and hit the jackpot. I don’t care. I just want him to go away as soon as possible. And, judging by the quotes in this article, there may be a decent chance that someone could pull it off.

califcon on March 8, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Ah, good luck finding a perfect President.

Who is your leader?

getalife on March 7, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Wait! I’m confused. I thought we were all being told by the Obamatrons that he is OUR President and we should support him. Is that not you postion now?

Moreover, do I sense that your are conceding he his NOT perfect? My oh my! That didn’t take long.

Fed45 on March 8, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Certain medicines can make you tired. Statin drugs (lipitor, crestor, etc), HIV meds, blood thinners. Also, diabetes will make you tired. He hasn’t releases his medical records so we can only speculate.

SouthernGent on March 7, 2009 at 8:13 PM

And he is supposedly “African American”, which would put him in that high risk demographic.

Fed45 on March 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Ah, good luck finding a perfect President.

Who is your leader?

getalife on March 7, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Trolls are always tolerated if they make sense. You don’t!!!

duff65 on March 8, 2009 at 6:15 PM

…Stunning…just stunning…

AnthonyK on March 8, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Did you know when President Clinton took office the Dow was at 3300?

getalife on March 7, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Look,moron!, don’t even pretend to show you understand anything about the markets, let alone basic quantitative analysis. The fact that the Dow was at 3300 when Clinton took office has absolutely NO relevance to how today’s market is performing. What is relevant is how the market has performed since the day Barry was elected. It’s performed worse than under any other President in history in the same time frame.

But, if we were to follow you insane logic, you should be happy, because Barry has yet to drive it down below Clinton’s 3300 numbers. So, by your logic, he’s already succeeded.

You are the perfect example of why some people in this country should simply NOT be allowed to vote due to their double-digit IQ

Fed45 on March 8, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Enron?

Ken Lay was w’s buddy.

Get real.

getalife on March 7, 2009 at 8:53 PM

And Bill Ayers is Barry’s buddy, and Saul Alinsky his moral compass. What’s your point?

Fed45 on March 8, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Barry Hussein Alinsky treated the British PM shabbily because he was too tired? WTF? What’s worse: that the proffered excuse is just another lie or is actually true?

Travis Bickle on March 8, 2009 at 6:34 PM

duff65 on March 8, 2009 at 6:15 PM

The poster said he was not American but refused to tell me who was his leader.

Try to keep up.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Fed45 on March 8, 2009 at 6:30 PM

My point was Enron happened on w’s watch.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Travis Bickle on March 8, 2009 at 6:34 PM

What’s worse is how often we’ve had to make these kind of judgements about Barry in the last seven weeks!

anniekc on March 8, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Party a little late on our dime maybe?

allrsn on March 8, 2009 at 6:41 PM

I disagree, it is a bush depression. He has only been in office forty days and blaming him for this inherited economic disaster is not feasible.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I disagree. It’s Obama, Waters, and Franks who are the hallmarks of this depression.

unclesmrgol on March 8, 2009 at 6:45 PM

My point was Enron happened on w’s watch.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 6:37 PM

So did 9/11. Having something happen on your watch doesn’t necessarily make it your fault. But having something happen that you played a part in making happen does make it your fault.

Again, Obama, Waters, Franks.

unclesmrgol on March 8, 2009 at 6:48 PM

This is why we historically do not like to elect Senators (this year we had no choice) and why men like LBJ were such disasters… they have no idea how to run anything.

mankai on March 8, 2009 at 6:58 PM

My point was Enron happened on w’s watch.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 6:37 PM

And the Crash that ushered in the Great Depression happened under Wilson’s watch. The tech bubble burst under Clinton’s watch. Again, what’s your point?

Lemme guess. Never read the Constitution. What happened at Enron and who was President at the time are mutually exclusive. A President has no Constitutional authority to oversee private businesses. Not that you’d understand that concept.

Fed45 on March 8, 2009 at 6:59 PM

JohnAGJ on March 8, 2009 at 5:50 PM

It’s mainly due to ElRushbo, the all seeing, all caring harmless little fuzzball, the maharushi, that the Messiah finds himself with a 43% disapproval rating (Rasmussen).

Nothing that the GOP and its members in Congress or Michael Steele has done would have warranted this plunge in support. Rush’s CPAC was historic and illustrative and may go down as one of the most important speeches ever given on American soil.

If we can somehow get rid of Obama and his thugs in 2012 and reclaim the America of our birth we will owe Rush a gratitude that we will never ever be able to deliver to him in a thousand lifetimes.

technopeasant on March 8, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Again! Please! Stop pretending you know what you are talking about. The market makes bets on the future. It was humming along quite fine, all things considered, up until Nov 5th, 2008. Gee! I wonder what happened during that time. The market exhibits their confidence in the future based on buying and selling. From the time Barry was elected it has collapsed more than under any other President in history. I defy you to find similar numbers for the same duration during any point in Bush’s two terms.

Sure, the market is just one measure, but as far as the Average Joe goes, nobody in history has ruined more people’s retirement funds than Barry has. I welcome evidence to the contrary. I’ve provided the data. Can you do the same?

Fed45 on March 8, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Oh no he dint!!!!

Please, for the sake of the future of our country and the lives of it’s citizens, please tell me Barry was misqoted. Please!!???

Fed45 on March 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Rush’s CPAC was historic and illustrative and may go down as one of the most important speeches ever given on American soil…
technopeasant on March 8, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Amen…

RalphyBoy on March 8, 2009 at 7:13 PM

I think B-HO wanted the presidency for the later book deals and nothing more.

Mojave Mark on March 8, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Oh no he dint!!!!

Fed45 on March 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Guess he did. His new year’s resolution must be to learn how to walk and chew gum at the same time, like the rest of us already know how to do. Please excuse the little lapses whilst he learns.

unclesmrgol on March 8, 2009 at 7:16 PM

This one big con game that was going perfectly until ElRushbo stepped in and took away the Messiah’s momentum and diminished his spellbound persona.

That is why Rush must be destroyed at all costs. I’m sure glad Joseph Stalin is protecting Rush.

technopeasant on March 8, 2009 at 7:16 PM

My point was Enron happened on w’s watch.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Nice try, kid. You really need to have Begala pay you more to post here.

Enron CEO Andrew Fastow began cooking the company’s books in 1996. Skilling baceame President of the firm that same year. Bush wasn’t President then.

In 1997, Fastow created another dummy company to hide the already accumulating debt. Bush wasn’t President then.

1998-while Bill Clinton is being lovingly defended by NOW for sexually exploiting a female workplace subordinate, Fastow is named Chief Financial Officer.

1999-Enron’s Board of Directors waives conflict of interest rules allowing Fastow to run private companies doing business with Enron. Bill Clinton is still President.

2000-March Enron CEO Kenneth Lay allegedly files fraudulent annual 10-K for 1999

March 13 Jeffrey Skilling allegedly signs fraudulent letters to Arthur Andersen LLP about 1999 financial data.

August Enron CEO Kenneth Lay allegedly files fraudulent quarterly 10-Q for second quarter 2000

November 1 Enron CEO Kenneth Lay allegedly begins selling Enron shares.

November Enron CEO Kenneth Lay allegedly files fraudulent quarterly 10-Q for third quarter 2000

Guess what? Clinton is still President.

After Chimpy stole the election, it only took his Administration 9 months to find out what Enron was up to. Something that had been going on since 1996.

Bush never gave special treatment to Enron officials. As a result, all of the evidence proves that the only thing that “happened” to Enron on Bush’s watch was that they got caught and prosecuted.

In fact, my evidence proves beyong a doubt that Enron happened on Democrat Bill Clinton’s watch. Sucks to be you, doesn’t it?

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 7:17 PM

good luck finding a perfect President.

Compared to the Dumb One (aka… Mess-I-ah)… a spotted dog should seem about perfect.

RalphyBoy on March 8, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Great smackdown, Del.

I love sitting behind the smartest kid in the class. ‘;-)

califcon on March 8, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Bam, p’wned him into next election cycle! What a post my friend! Impressive!

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 7:28 PM

In fact, you get the Troll P’wning Award!

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Didn’t Carter claim to be a “nucular” scientist?

darwin-t on March 8, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Jimmy in fact pronounces that N word exactly the same way Bush does.

But in the parallel universe known as BDS-13, only one of them is an idiot. The one with two Ivy League degrees.

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Only one problem-getabrain is a Leftist. Their brains literally function differently than yours and mine do. Remember, O’bama won 70 percent of the high school dropout vote.

All of the Enron facts I recited will simply bounce off of his one remaining brain cell, and then exit his empty vessel.

BTW one other Enron item I forget to mention-one of their advisors on Clinton’s watch was NY Fishwrap “economics expert” Paul Krugman.

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 7:54 PM

So, with your logic it is a bush depression.

My original point.

Thank you.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 7:57 PM

The Emperor Jonestown has no clothes. Get used to it. He won.

BHO Jonestown on March 8, 2009 at 7:58 PM

My point was Enron happened on w’s watch.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 6:37 PM

So on Obama’s watch is the last 40 days of the dow, and creating new debt equal to the previous debt from the starting of the country to before the Prescedent’s innaguration.

itsspideyman on March 8, 2009 at 8:01 PM

getalife taken to the woodshed. heh

jdflorida on March 8, 2009 at 8:03 PM

That whole article from the NYT is interesting.

journeyintothewhirlwind on March 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM

RalphyBoy on March 8, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Right now, the Repubs could run a paper shopping bag against Osama Obama and get my vote.

Hell, come to think of it, the bag might have a good shot at winning!

MrScribbler on March 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM

itsspideyman on March 8, 2009 at 8:01 PM

If you think that is why the dow dropped I disasgree.

It is because the banks are insolvent (the bush depression).

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:06 PM

How long will it before the hulk and Barry start to serve state meals on the “Obama” souvenir china? You know the ones with the our dimwit president’s portrait on the plate?

jdflorida on March 8, 2009 at 8:07 PM

This how I imagine getalife every time he comes here. You find yourself saying, “Stay down, Getalife, some smart HA poster who’s smarter than you is just going to hit you again.”

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I would have LOVED to hear this during the campaign,no, anytime AFTER Obama discovered that things were changing at Gitmo.

Mr. Obama signaled that those on the left seeking a wholesale reversal of Mr. Bush’s detainee policy might be disappointed. Mr. Obama said that by the time he got into office, the Bush administration had taken “steps to correct certain policies and procedures after those first couple of years” after the Sept. 11 attacks.
He credited not Mr. Bush but the former Central Intelligence Agency director Michael V. Hayden and the former director of national intelligence Mike McConnell, who “really had America’s security interests in mind when they acted, and I think were mindful of American values and ideals.”

journeyintothewhirlwind on March 8, 2009 at 8:11 PM

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Funny but I won this argument because the last time the banks were insolvent was the Great Depression.

This time it is the bush depression.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Getaclue, have you been posting all day?
Does the DNC pay you double-time for weekends?

kingsjester on March 8, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Poor baby, him so tired.

Terrye on March 8, 2009 at 5:23 PM

LOL.

baldilocks on March 8, 2009 at 8:18 PM

I will say it over and over again till I am blue in the face (quoting Master Rush):

Obama will not last 4 years; 2 to the max.

I have sensed impending doom this morning and it was hard to shake it off. Dunno if it was family/personal or just something worldwide. This week for me will be a compass.

Obama should’ve gotten his butt of the Senate and gone all over the country, working for one of those famous seminars most of us go to, and give a general speech on how to get things accomplished or get along with difficult people…

NEVERMIND! HE CAN’T DO THAT EITHER!

ProudPalinFan on March 8, 2009 at 8:19 PM

My point was Enron happened on w’s watch.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 6:37 PM

The prosecution of those responsible for Enron happened on W’s watch. The crimes happened on Clinton’s (non)watch.

baldilocks on March 8, 2009 at 8:21 PM

This time it is the bush depression.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Only a child would think that simply repeating a lie would convince anyone that it’s the truth. That works at HuffPo or DU maybe, but people here are reasonable. Nice try.

Bush mild recession/obama worsened recession/obama depression.

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM

If you think that is why the dow dropped I disasgree.

It is because the banks are insolvent (the bush depression).

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I’ve been in the real estate/mortgage banking sector since before you were born, kid. Most banks circa March 2009 are doing perfectly fine and have absolutely no problems. Why is that? Because they didn’t give in to Democrats’ demands to lend to people who couldn’t afford to repay their loans. It’s a relatively small number of banks that have had a relatively large share of the problems. Likewise, the majority of mortgage problems are in 4 states. All bleu states.

Since O’bama took office, 15 banks have gone under. In all of 2008, 24 went down. In the first 7 years that the evil Bush was President, only 25 banks went under.

Bush and McCain both warned back in 2003 that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were in trouble and needed fixing. But they were laughed at by Democrats like Barney Frank and Chris Dodd.

As I said, you really need to have Begala give you more money. You’re not earning your “pay”.

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Your argument is the banks are insolvent so it is a mild recession.

HA!

You can do better than that.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM

This time it is the bush depression.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Getalife is obviously mentally challenged; by trying to spout the same stuff over and over, thinking if he says it often enough it will eventually be true.

The precise medical condition he suffers from is Logorrhoea (from Wikipedia):

Logorrhoea is a language disorder present in a variety of psychiatric and neurological disorders[1] including aphasia[1], localised cortical lesions in the thalamus[2][3], or most typically in catatonic schizophrenia.

Examples of logorrhoea might include talking or mumbling monotonously, either to others, or, more likely, oneself. This may include the repetition of particular words or phrases, often incoherently. The causes for logorrhoea remain poorly understood, but appear to be localized to frontal lobe structures known to be associated with language. As is the case, for example, in emotional lability in a wide variety of neurological conditions, other symptoms take priority in clinical management and research efforts

Norwegian on March 8, 2009 at 8:25 PM

This time it is the bush depression.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:13 PM

You are truly a legend in your own little mind. You only think you won. Just like the Germans in the 1930′s who thought they won by putting a little austrian paperhanging corporal in as chancellor. They thought they were on the road to greatness… thousand year Reich and all that.

A couple of years later the survivors were stacking charred corpses of their fellow citizens 15 high in dresden.

You can rant and rave and post your snarky useless comments all you want. The fact is that the markets are reacting to ozero’s incompetence, inexperience and far left ideology.

Oh, and one of the main reasons we are in this mess is because of the leftist “Lets give everyone a house in return for votes” crap that the jugeared jackass was a big part of.

We are approaching a SHTF scenario real fast.

bullseye on March 8, 2009 at 8:26 PM

baldilocks on March 8, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Geez Baldi, if Del Dolemontes carefully laid out timeline doesn’t snap him out of his fantasy, nothing will. This is pretty much empty taunting now. Akin to, “I know you are but what am I?”

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 8:26 PM

You can do better than that.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Can you read? I said it was the obama “recession”. Soon it’ll be the obama depression. He should have gone on TV like FDR in 29 to comfort the AMerican People, not scare them into this mess we’re in. It’s his fault.

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Big 0 actually seems to understand some of the problems. He said “I did think it might be useful to point out that it wasn’t under me that we started buying a bunch of shares of banks. It wasn’t on my watch. And it wasn’t on my watch that we passed a massive new entitlement -– the prescription drug plan — without a source of funding.”
So what does he propose? Spending far above and beyond anything done in history, expanding Medicare and SCHIP, totally taking over the medical industry, running the country on sunshine and breezes while taxing the hell out of anybody that makes anything, drives or uses electricity, etc, etc. Isn’t it sad that he sees a problem and instead of trying solve it, he just doubles down?

darwin-t on March 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Just announced: Rush challenges Bairy to compare birth certificates. It’s enough to turn your hair greyish.

BHO Jonestown on March 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM

getalife- Ive seen you repeat “Bush depression” so many times that its evident you dont believe it yet. Keep trying!

Worst unemployment in 28 years? Obamas watch
Worst start to a stock market under any presidency, ever? Comrade Obama

Chuck Schick on March 8, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM

I’m not your kid but you need to get real about the billions in bailouts TO SAVE THE BANKS FROM COLLAPSING.

A banker huh?

HA!

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Banks were insolvent in the Depression because the deposits in the banks were uninsured. Because of this, depositors lost untold wealth as banks closed across the country.

What should have been done is allow the FDIC to do it’s job; the banks would have closed, buyers for the banks would have come in and bought the banks assets for pennies on the dollar while the depositers, you and I, would have be assured our money was solvent. The new banks would have swept out the management that made the bad decisions and life would have moved on. Instead we have spent far more money to prop up insolvent banks when the money could have been channeled through the FDIC and kept the public’s money out of risk. Furthermore the insolvent banks are localized in three states; California, Michigan and New York. Special attention could have been given to these states and the affect could have been localized. Instead this has swept across the country as one failed bank has cascaded upon another.

The propping up as banks furthermore undermines the banks that accept the money; case in point, the CEO of the Bank of America who has lamented that he wants to give it back. Already in local areas of the country banks who smell an advantage are running commercials saying they’ve taken no bailout money.

The failure in the banks are the failure of the politicans who made bankers pony up to the table and force them into outrageous lending situations, and the bankers who smelled an extra dime at the public trough. Like Faust, they now understand their deal with the devil has driven them to ruin. What we as citizens must do is refuse to sign the check when the politicans come to us for the money.

itsspideyman on March 8, 2009 at 8:33 PM

If Barry is ‘overwhelmed’ it’s not because he’s dealing with the economy. It’s because he’s preoccupied with a bunch of Socialist political goals (stem cells, releasing Gitmo terrorists, Yucca Mountain, snubbing Brits, etc.) that have NOTHING to do with the economy.

kd6rxl on March 8, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Pretty sure getalife is an old fart.

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 8:35 PM

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Oh Say It Ain’t So, Joe!

OmahaConservative on March 8, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Chuck Schick on March 8, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Bush depression.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Pretty sure getalife is an old fart.

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 8:35 PM

She/he/it said in the Barbara Bush thread that she/he/it has a mechanical aortic valve that pops, and in another thread said she/he/it is retired. I suspect an SSI/SDI recipient.

OmahaConservative on March 8, 2009 at 8:38 PM

BHO Jonestown on March 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM

rush is a birther?

Figures.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:38 PM

I’m not your kid

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:31 PM

No, you’re A kid. And a rather clueless one at that. But of course that is understandable, as O’ba,a handily won the high school dropout vote.

BTW, I never said I was a “banker”, just that I have worked in the banking mortgage sector since before you were born. I am a consultant, not the loan officer who actually makes the final decisions.

One of my banking clients has been issuing mortgages in my area for almost a hundred and fifty years, and in 2008 they had a grand total of 5 foreclosures. As I said, they refused to knuckle under to demands from Barney Frank and Chris Dodd to issue mortgages to people who couldn’t pay them back.

Not even a nice try.

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM

CliffHanger on March 8, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Figuring that our enemies will realize he is unlikely to win a second term and will take advantage of us before he leaves office, I’d expect to see one or both of the following:

1: Russia ‘liberates’ the Ukraine after a trumped up provocation where ethinc Russians are ‘mistreated’

2: China announces the ‘reunion of Taiwan into the Chinese nation’, and blockades the island, while threatening to land forces

Red State State of Mind on March 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM

OmahaConservative on March 8, 2009 at 8:38 PM

You mean like the man with many houses McCain?

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Pretty sure getalife is an old fart.

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I’m talking mental age, not physical age.

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Try a tiny sliver of honesty when you engage me kid.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM

You mean like the man with many houses McCain?

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Are you talking about the same McCains who adopted a little foreign girl taking her out of poverty and saving her life???

At least he didn’t get his home due to an illegal land deal with a convicted criminal and later did a quid pro quo by fiddling with the board of a CHILDREN’s hospital to help that convicted criminal gain control of it.

You sure you aren’t descended from Einstein???

bullseye on March 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM

He said “I did think it might be useful to point out that it wasn’t under me that we started buying a bunch of shares of banks. It wasn’t on my watch. And it wasn’t on my watch that we passed a massive new entitlement -– the prescription drug plan — without a source of funding.”………

darwin-t on March 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Did he vote for either of those measures or was he busy running for President and missed the votes?

Bush was in a no-win situation with our lefties…if he hadn’t acted the left would be blaming the current economy on his inaction; and his action is used to poke Conservatives in the eye with the comments about the Nationalization beginning under Bush.
The ONLY thing that might have been done was to pass the republican Alterntaive plan that was shot down last fall, and I believe that plan would have worked. if it hadn’t, we still would have had the option of passing the Porkulus.

Red State State of Mind on March 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Red State State of Mind on March 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM

The President supported w’s socializing the banks because they were going to collapse.

Which choice would you choose?

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:48 PM

OmahaConservative on March 8, 2009 at 8:38 PM

You mean like the man with many houses McCain?

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM

So your kids took yours and put you in assisted living, why take it out on McCain?

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Regardless of the label you apply to the current economic situation… it is ALL Bairy’s. Bairy owns it. He’s owned it from Day One. Since the $160 million coronation. Emperor Jonestown has no clothes. Deal with it. Bairy won.

BHO Jonestown on March 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM

hawkdriver on March 8, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Funny but enough about me.

Folks like Omahacon like to use personal info in its arguments.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:50 PM

That whole article from the NYT is interesting.
journeyintothewhirlwind on March 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM

“Look, I wish I had the luxury of just dealing with a modest recession or just dealing with health care or just dealing with energy or just dealing with Iraq or just dealing with Afghanistan,” Mr. Obama said. “I don’t have that luxury, and I don’t think the American people do, either.”

Thank you… I saw that quote but not where it came from. So essentially Obambi has admitted that this is a “modest” recession.
Thank you Mr. President numbskull sir. Now can we allow a non-end-of-days economic adjustment to work itself out without bankrupting the future generations of this country?

RalphyBoy on March 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Red State State of Mind on March 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Here you go. From Project Vote Smart: Obama’s voting record.

INC on March 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Um, I might be mistaken, but WTF do you think Bush went through after 9/11? Do you think HE got sleep after that? Do you think he royally f***d things up because he was “preoccupied” with that? NO! He soldiered on. Barry should just admit he doesn’t know squat about foreign relations.

Foreign relations to him are having friends that are white. What an absolute DOU**E!

MsUnderestimated on March 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM

RalphyBoy on March 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM

I really don’t think the President would use the d word but some economists are.

Telling Americans to not stuff money in their mattresses is saying please do not run on the banks.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Maybe Ozero is a genius.. The mattress thing is right up their with blow your tires and play a tune on your car. Pure inspired genius.. I could never hope to be THAT smart.. I wonder how he fits all those brains inside his head.

Maybe he’ll come out next and tell us to inflate our mattresss, blow our money and tune up our tires… I bow in humble humility to his majestic greatness. The most intelligent man ever to walk this planet.

Maybe if I’m lucky, Even though I’m unworthy, I might just inhale a molecule of air that Obama exhaled. May I be so blessed some day.

bullseye on March 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM

rush is a birther?

Figures.

At this point, the Commie in Chief can go suck rocks… I want to see all his papers! If for no other reason than to poke a stick in his cage.

RalphyBoy on March 8, 2009 at 9:00 PM

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Oops… Too late. My most of money is already in real assets. And Tuesday I will stop my 401k and auto-stock purchases at work…
Just doubling down on my vote against the Mess-I-ah and his commie ways.

RalphyBoy on March 8, 2009 at 9:04 PM

I think if we use the premise of a depression in your arguments, your rhetoric might change.

Failure is not an option and bush did the right thing in socializing the banks.

The question now is if Tim is blowing it by not fully socialing the banks.

Shelby and McCain say let them fail.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:05 PM

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Brilliant! Even though my accounts are insured up to 250K my plan was to grab it all and stuff it in my Serta.

Thank the Messiah. Now I’m good.

swede7 on March 8, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Try a tiny sliver of honesty when you engage me kid.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Translation:

“Del kicked my butt to the Equator and back on Enron and insolvent banks, and since I can’t credibly refute his facts, I will engage in the time honored tactic of my hero Saul Alinsky.”

(laughter)

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Califcon -
Did you see Obama interviewed by Lauer during the Super Bowl? Obama actually said “some people think I’m cool …”

WTF. Narcissistic crap coming from the President of the United States. This asshole is in it for the perks and the fame. Barry and the Hulk partying hardy in their new digs.

jdflorida on March 8, 2009 at 9:11 PM

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Did you say that you were retired or retarded?

thomasaur on March 8, 2009 at 9:12 PM

swede7 on March 8, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Actually, they just added billions to the FDIC that was going insolvent too.

Kind of lack whack a mole at this point.

getalife on March 8, 2009 at 9:14 PM