Video: Terrorist mosque in Minneapolis?

posted at 8:30 pm on March 5, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

CBS News actually produced a probing look into the growing concern here in the Twin Cities that a local mosque may be producing terrorists in the Somali population. One member of the Abubakar Islamic Center has already conducted a suicide bombing in Somalia and 20 more members have disappeared, which has the FBI worried that some of these American citizens may return with a mission in mind:

Watch CBS Videos Online

Some 20 vanished last year – all American citizens – an exodus the FBI has noticed for a troubling reason.

“A man from Minneapolis became what we believe to be the first U.S. citizen to carry out a terrorist suicide bombing,” said agency director Robert Mueller.

The October attack by 27-year-old Shirwa Ahmed killed 30 near Mogadishu, and there is alarm that the skills acquired abroad could be brought back to America.

“He could have done it here,” says Omar Jamal, a Somali advocate in Minnesota. “We don’t see anything that would have prevented him from doing this right here in the heart of Minneapolis.”

Neither do the rest of us in the Twin Cities. And while the Abubakar Islamic Center uses the we-can’t-be-guilty-because-people-harrass-us defense, it looks like a lot more than coincidence that these radicalized American citizens all worshiped at the same place just before they left. (via William Amos)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Fire up the pickup Billy lee, it’s time for a hangin!

DeathToMediaHacks on March 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I hope these bastards pick YOUR home, maybe then, when YOUR family is dying, you’ll finaly say we should have “connected the dots”… maybe…

Only weak limp wristed cowards would openly invite a killer into his home with his children and wife present…

DTMH = all of the above

Mark Garnett on March 6, 2009 at 1:52 PM

So…..not time for a hangin then? But the pickups all fired up.

DeathToMediaHacks on March 6, 2009 at 1:54 PM

So…..not time for a hangin then? But the pickups all fired up.

DeathToMediaHacks on March 6, 2009 at 1:54 PM

No real worries, your an American… We patriots will come and save your family and yes, even you… Even though your a tool for the terrorists that want to destry Americans, black, white, rich, poor, young, old, Conservative, Liberal… ALL OF US are in danger and you ignore it…

I just don’t get it…

Mark Garnett on March 6, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I just don’t get it…

Mark Garnett on March 6, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I can’t be bothered hating every Muslim in my neighborhood or being scared of all the mosques in the cities I’ve lived in. You know how hard it would’ve been to get around? Oklahoma city didn’t cause me to fear every skinny balding white guy I ever met why should 9/11 change how I feel about muslims in America? Unless you’re saying McVeigh DID make you fearful of all balding white men, in which case…that must be tough being afraid of so many people.

DeathToMediaHacks on March 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM

It would help if the rest of the mosques denounced terrorism, and denounced terrorist mosques. Until then all mosques
are terrorist mosques.

darktood on March 6, 2009 at 4:54 AM

That’s nonsense. Now if we’re talking about the specific mosques that are providing material support to the terrorists, then I’m all about kicking down doors and doing what we need to do, but taking the next step to requiring the CIA to act as thought police is unAmerican.

Mommypundit on March 6, 2009 at 5:25 AM

I understand the point, but we’re talking about unnecessarily tossing out the free exercise clause of the first amendment. If someone harbors terrorists, if someone covers for terrorists, if someone dedicates resources to helping terrorists, these are all illegal and our national security mechanisms can do what they need to do with these people. Now if someone isn’t doing any of these things, and just so happens to sympathize with the terrorists, that’s screwed up and unAmerican, but the security threat that that provides is much smaller than the security threat of tossing out the free exercise clause (when we think about security not just in terms of staying alive, but in terms of staying alive as Americans).

Liberty or Death on March 6, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Well thankfully lefty rhetoric is as wrong as it always is. Bush exercised emergency powers, and frankly I’m not that worried about my phone getting tapped without a warrant because unless I am an actual security threat which takes away my right to avail myself of the legal system the information acquired is inadmissable.

There’s nothing I said that suggests any problem with identifying enemies of the United States, but assuming that all muslims pose a threat is simply preposterous. They don’t. Even if their mosques don’t condemn acts of terrorism, that isn’t a threat unless they take action to support terrorism. Once they do that, then the free exercise clause has nothing to do with what happens to them next.

Veiled threats of genocide make me very uncomfortable, and it’s disturbing that I’m apparently in the minority about this.

galenrox on March 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM

galenrox on March 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM

It’s sad but true. With too many folks on the right it’s join the lynch mob or you’re a limp wristed coward who wants your family to die in a horrible fiery, suicide bomby death.

DeathToMediaHacks on March 6, 2009 at 2:23 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on March 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM

How is making a statement that if all mosques were razed, there would be no reason to monitor them equivalent to a veiled threat of genocide?

They recently razed a mosque in Italy. Where was your cry for humanity then?

galenrox on March 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Obviously, this is true. But I pose the question to you of how tell the difference between Muslims who pose a threat and those who don’t?

awake on March 6, 2009 at 3:16 PM

galenrox on March 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM

First off I never in any of my postings made any sort of “veiled threat of genocide” but I don’t have any control over how you or death to media hacks (DTMH) interpret what I post, all I can say is you are wrong that I made any threat of genocide veiled or otherwise.

Secondly, you and DTMH really like to throw around the “genocide” card quite a bit, that’s not very nice considering I myself and many that post on HA do not condone genocide in any way.

I will say however that while genocide is not the answer and most on HA are not calling for out-and-out genocide of anyone that is Muslim/Islamic I also don’t think we as a nation and a people should be bending over backwards the way we are for Muslims/Islam to the point where we are potentially committing suicide, which is what we are/will be doing if we continue to put our heads in the sand and ignore the very real threat that the fascist Islamic ideology presents to the West.

Again, while genocide is not the answer we must also guard against committing suicide, I see nothing wrong with taking swift and decisive action including kicking in their doors, deporting them, and shooting them dead if necessary if we have proof of their inciting and planning jihad in their mosques, saying this is not a call for genocide but is a matter of basic survival, to do nothing is akin to committing suicide in my opinion.

Liberty or Death on March 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM

“Fire up the pickup Billy lee, it’s time for a hangin!”

Not sure I really see the problem here. Do you.
As for the lib trolls that have just crawled out of the woodwork, if any of you think the Muslim religion and the freedoms that we in the USA have are compatible, you are extremely naive. But then again, that’s part of being a lib/dim/socialist. So to those who say let’s not allow the Muslim religion (and if you do some studying, it really doesn’t qualify as a religion, but more of a cult) to freely be practiced here in the states, I for one have no problem with it. They (the practitioners of the Muslim religion) have shown they are unable to assimiliate and function in our society without being a threat. I for one am tired of looking over my shoulder wondering which Mosques are moderate (that’s a joke of a term for said cult) or radical. Did I offend anyone? Did I make anyone uncomfortable because of my firm beliefs in the security of America being first? To bad. I’ll cry you a river.

rayvet on March 6, 2009 at 5:25 PM

awake on March 6, 2009 at 3:16 PM

The same way we differentiate between skinny white terrorists and skinny white guys. We spend billions on the FBI, CIA, and NSA every year to investigate actual threats so we don’t have to write off entire religions as terrorists.

Liberty or Death on March 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM

If I built up a straw man, then I apologize as that wasn’t my intention. I only ask you suggest a different way of interpreting ” if we are attacked again and our government fails to act upon these radical elements within our nation to protect the union (our governments first priority) then there will be many of us that will and should step up to do what needs to be done.” considering the context.

And I said genocide once, if that constitutes “quite a bit” then we’ve apparently ceased to speak english. In this post alone you used the word “genocide” 500% more than I’ve used it in my entire time on Hot Air.

I’ve never said we should bend over backwards, I’ve simply said that we should uphold the free exercise clause. If someone breaks the law, if someone aids or abets terrorists, provides them material support, then put a bag over their head and send their asses to Gitmo or wherever else. Being a muslim is not sufficient evidence.

galenrox on March 6, 2009 at 5:47 PM

awake on March 6, 2009 at 3:16 PM

There are three kinds of muslims…
Hardcore…enablers…consenters…
deport them all.

jerrytbg on March 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Seems I’m not alone…

jerrytbg on March 6, 2009 at 8:26 PM

The direct result of liberal policies that do want to offend, and if something were to happen, the Bush Administration did it.

Let’s remember, that for the last 4 years of the Bush Administration were actually under the control of the Demoncrates.

MSGTAS on March 7, 2009 at 9:17 AM