Prayers for Barbara Bush

posted at 3:40 pm on March 5, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier today, the Bush family informed the country that former First Lady Barbara Bush underwent open-heart surgery yesterday.  According to the doctors, they discovered a hardening of her aortic valve which looked dangerous.  When Mrs. Bush fell short of breath, they decided to take action:

Former first lady Barbara Bush had open-heart surgery Wednesday and is resting comfortably at a Houston hospital with her husband, former President George H.W. Bush, by her side, Bush spokesman Jim McGrath told ABC News.

“I am very impressed with and grateful to the wonderful team of doctors and nurses at Methodist Hospital who have helped Barbara,” ex-President Bush said in a prepared statement. “We have every confidence she is in the best hands.”

The former president’s chief of staff, Jean Becker, described Mrs. Bush, 83, as “alert and funny” after the surgery.

No doubt Mrs. Bush will get the best of medical care, but surgery at 83 is no picnic under any circumstances, let alone open-heart surgery.  It will take seven to ten days of recovery in the hospital, followed certainly by a long recuperation at home.  Since this follows a surgery four months ago for an ulcer, she will need close care and support to recover fully.

We’ll keep Mrs. Bush and her family in our prayers.  Feel free to offer your own thoughts in the comments.  I’d also like to ask for prayers and thoughts for the Admiral Emeritus (my father), who will likely get cranky at the fuss, as he had outpatient surgery yesterday and is recovering well at home.

Update: I’m not a fan of Robin Williams’ politics, but he’s a good entertainer, and he’s also getting an aortic valve replaced — so best wishes to Mr. Williams as well.

Comments

Best wishes to both Barbara and the Little Admiral!

Boy, I miss the days of Barbara Bush and Laura Bush–pure class, instead of our current clowns.

Vanceone on March 5, 2009 at 3:42 PM

A quiet prayer to the entire Bush family and of course to Lady Barbara – the matriarch.

jake-the-goose on March 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Get well soon.

carbon_footprint on March 5, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Prayers for a fast recovery, Mrs. Bush.
We miss you and Laura’s class and elegance in the White House.

HornetSting on March 5, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Amen. Barbara Bush is such a class-act; the exact opposite of the current occupants of the White House.

Norwegian on March 5, 2009 at 3:44 PM

The good old days of class in the White House

faraway on March 5, 2009 at 3:46 PM

What a classy lady! Oh, I miss 41 and 43!

HornetSting you’re right! Class and elegance.

Oink on March 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Ogabe sent a pack of DVD’s instead of flowers.

Bishop on March 5, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Best of wishes to Mrs. Bush & the Emeritus.

rbj on March 5, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Weird. Robin Williams is in the hospital and is having his aortic valve replaced, too.

Enoxo on March 5, 2009 at 3:49 PM

We’ll keep Mrs. Bush and her family in our prayers.

As will I, along with Admiral Emeritus…………..

Seven Percent Solution on March 5, 2009 at 3:51 PM

God bless both families and grant rapid healing to the sick.

I pine for the class of earlier administrations.

Guardian on March 5, 2009 at 3:51 PM

According to her doctors, Mrs. Bush is already making jokes. Get well soon, Mrs. Bush.

Sue on March 5, 2009 at 3:52 PM

“alert and funny”

As always. She is my favorite modern First Lady.

myrenovations on March 5, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Get well soon Lady Bush. Prayers for you and your entire family.

BobK on March 5, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Get well soon Mrs. Bush. My prayers are for you.

I already miss the days when the First Lady really was a lady.

TaraLynn on March 5, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Ed, it’s those of us who are cranky at the fuss who usually most need it, so tell your lady to relax and let us care about her while you care for her.

And prayers for Mrs. Bush, too, a wonderfuly classy woman.

Bob's Kid on March 5, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Gee, I hope Barry doesn’t smoke himself into a massive heart attack.

marklmail on March 5, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Mrs. Bush.

Maybe when you’re feeling better, you can teach Michelle how to shop for other people’s kids. ;)

DrAllecon on March 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM

The smartest Bush of the Bunch!

Get Well Soon.

Mr. Joe on March 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Aortic replacement is a nasty one. Good thing that Obama’s Dashcle plan probably will do away with it for oldsters like Barbara Bush and Williams.

bloggless on March 5, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Prayers and best wishes to Mrs Bush for a full recovery.

I was a liberal democrat when her husband was in office, but in spite of the differences I liked her a lot anyway, even then.

macblanegirl on March 5, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Barbara Bush’s first joke:

Thank God this happened before the FCCCCER

WashJeff on March 5, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Barbara is a great and strong woman. Get well. Also to Robin Williams, he might be politically idiotic, but he is a funny dude.

jencab on March 5, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Prayers ascending for Mrs. Bush, her family and Ed’s father & family.

OmahaConservative on March 5, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Would it really be asking too much of Kos and DU to spare the snark and hate about this?

………

Yeah, it would.

(And before any of you mention Ted Kennedy, no, it’s not right when our side does it either.

We’re not the ones who prayed for the death of a sitting Vice President in a terrorist attack, or cheered at the death of Tony Snow.)

Hawkins1701 on March 5, 2009 at 4:07 PM

All the best to Barbara Bush and her sweet husband. He broke down on tv a few minutes ago and my heart just went out to him. He should know how loved he and his wife are by all the good folks. We sincerely appreciate his integrity and that of his son, George W. and his classy wife, Laura. They are both heros for their service to our country. I miss having a Bush family in the White House! I’m afraid they represent what may be the LAST good Presidents this country had.

NightmareOnKStreet on March 5, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Thoughts and prayers for all of them.

katiejane on March 5, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I saw her once. Fantastic woman. Speedy recovery Barbara!

skree on March 5, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Okay, time for some classic lines from a classy lady…and we start with the rawest but most truthful quote.

Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives, but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is.

If human beings are perceived as potentials rather than problems, as possessing strengths instead of weaknesses, as unlimited rather that dull and unresponsive, then they thrive and grow to their capabilities.

At the end of your life, you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child, or a parent.

And who knows? Somewhere out there in this audience may even be someone who will one day follow my footsteps, and preside over the White House as the president’s spouse. I wish him well!

Unless you speak English and read well, you’ll never become a first-class citizen

And one appropriate for now, that we must not forget:

Your success as family, our success as a society, depends not on what happens in the White House, but on what happens inside your house.

right2bright on March 5, 2009 at 4:11 PM

God Bless the Bush family,..in my prayers.

christene on March 5, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Those Bushes are tough, and Barbara Bush is probably toughest of them all. She’ll come through all right!

t.ferg on March 5, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Such a classy lady! There was nothing better than the knowing side eye she’d give to Hillary Clinton everytime she had to be in her company- nothing blatent, but always there.

anniekc on March 5, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Get well soon, Mrs. Bush!

hawkdriver on March 5, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Classy lady. Get well soon, Mrs. Bush!

pugwriter on March 5, 2009 at 4:14 PM

God Bless You Mrs Bush, All the Best.

Dr Evil on March 5, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Best wishes Mrs. Bush. Get well soon.
You will be in our prayers.

HoosierCon on March 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM

It sounds scary but with today’s medicine it isn’t as bad as it used to be. Methodist is probably the best place in the world to have that surgery. I had a similar surgery when I was 12 and in the exact same hospital to boot. I was a pain in the butt brat who would caused the doctors no end of problems. I am sure she will behave much better than I. Best wishes to her.

txaggie on March 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Wishing a speedy, full recovery.

Christien on March 5, 2009 at 4:19 PM

God Bless You Mrs Bush, All the Best.

hillbilly on March 5, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I was volunteering in ’84 working the phones at Reagan/Bush HQ in Honolulu. The office manager came up to me and said there’s someone she wanted me to meet. Up walked Barbara, smiling, extending her hand. She showed that comforting smile that puts you right at ease. What a great year that was.

Good bless you, Mrs. Bush. Get well soon.

the_souse on March 5, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Agree or disagree with Robin Williams’ politics, he’s a guy who is willing to go where he needs to to slug it out with Joes on the ground. Best of luck to both him and Fmr. First Lady Bush. God grace them both with a speedy and complete recovery.

Spc Steve on March 5, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Mrs. Bush is a tough old bird. She’ll pull through. But I’m saying my prayers anyway.

stonemeister on March 5, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Best wishes, Mrs. Bush. One smart, classy lady. Her caliber is sorely missed, and oh, so conspicuously absent.

hoosiermama on March 5, 2009 at 4:28 PM

I was volunteering in ‘84 working the phones at Reagan/Bush HQ in Honolulu. The office manager came up to me and said there’s someone she wanted me to meet. Up walked Barbara, smiling, extending her hand. She showed that comforting smile that puts you right at ease. What a great year that was.

Good bless you, Mrs. Bush. Get well soon.

the_souse on March 5, 2009 at 4:24 PM

A similar thing happened to me. I was on the phone in Chicago when a guy surrounded by ACORN thugs and a racist preacher, came up to me, frowned at me, gave me a fist dab, and stole my wallet. Barry I think his name was?

marklmail on March 5, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Oh how we could use the Barbara Bush’s common sense in this troubled time. My own mother is having issue of late as well.

petunia on March 5, 2009 at 4:29 PM

God grant her a speedy recovery.

All Class, All the Time!

PappaMac on March 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I read earlier that she initially didn’t want her kids told, didn’t think it was a big deal.

Tough and classy lady.

cs89 on March 5, 2009 at 4:38 PM

We’ll keep Mrs. Bush and her family in our prayers. Feel free to offer your own thoughts in the comments. I’d also like to ask for prayers and thoughts for the Admiral Emeritus (my father), who will likely get cranky at the fuss, as he had outpatient surgery yesterday and is recovering well at home.

You can’t go wrong with that, Ed. My prayer is they are saved, and eternal life for each of them, because there’s nothing more valuable than your life is there.

apacalyps on March 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM

My mother had the same type of surgery as Barbara, and she was never the same after that. I hope Barbara recovers well!

Prayers going out toward that outcome, as well.

JannyMae on March 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Robin Williams Entertains Troops in Iraq

Get well, Robin!

Christien on March 5, 2009 at 4:41 PM

God Bless them both!

crabtree on March 5, 2009 at 4:48 PM

So aortic valve replacement is the new in thing? Best of luck to Robin Williams as well.

rbj on March 5, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I was a pain in the butt brat
txaggie on March 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM

I see you are still recovering…
Glad you made it, and prayers that Mrs. Bush will make, a true first lady…

right2bright on March 5, 2009 at 4:52 PM

We lift you in prayer, Mrs. Bush, AE and Robin….

It is a shame that the current occupant(s) of 1600 are the polar opposites of 41 and 43′s first ladies.

If it weren’t for low class, they’d have no class at all.

tru2tx on March 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Ed,

I’m glad your pop is back home and resting. Hope he feels better each day.

Christien on March 5, 2009 at 4:56 PM

This reminds me of another great American who underwent surgery, different circumstances, but I am sure she has the same attitude.

In the operating room, Reagan remarked, “Please tell me you’re all Republicans.” Giordano, a liberal Democrat, replied, “We’re all Republicans today.”

And so we should all be Republicans today, united in prayer.

right2bright on March 5, 2009 at 4:56 PM

One of the classiest first ladies ever. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Bush family.

As I posted earlier in another thread, seeing her and hearing her name makes the void at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue that much more painfully obviousl

J.J. Sefton on March 5, 2009 at 4:56 PM

God be with you Barbara and your family. Agree or not, both Bush terms had class. I can not for the life of me imagine either of them giving plastic toys to the childern of one of our best allies in the world when they came to the WH. Class is something you have, not later get, our new pres. and his wife do not have it!
L

letget on March 5, 2009 at 5:00 PM

She looks better than Caroline.

Labamigo on March 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM

ALLAH won’t pray…so I’ll pray FOR HER, for HIM.

Join me, won’t you?

seejanemom on March 5, 2009 at 5:18 PM

She looks better than Caroline.

Labamigo on March 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM

My goat’s GRINNER looks better than Caroline Kennedy.

seejanemom on March 5, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Robin Williams has a heart? Who knew?

Oh, I keed, I keed. Yah, I’m a comedian. So, I can say whatever I want and hide behind my comedy.

Right, Robin?

pabarge on March 5, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Best wished Gray Fox.

Hog Wild on March 5, 2009 at 5:42 PM

right2bright on March 5, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Except now I annoy the doctor’s in my department who teach “How Socialism can cure all of societies problems.”

Tired today. I keep on making typo’s.

txaggie on March 5, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Get well soon! Jimbo

jimboslice on March 5, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Tired today. I keep on making typo’s.

txaggie on March 5, 2009 at 5:42 PM

We don’t wory about typo’s here, only about content…

right2bright on March 5, 2009 at 6:01 PM

God bless Barbara.

Y-not on March 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Get well soon, Mrs. Bush. My love and prayers for you and your family!

TN Mom on March 5, 2009 at 7:11 PM

God bless the Bush family, especially Mrs. Bush.

youngTXcon on March 5, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I hope she recovers OK.

Ogabe sent a pack of DVD’s instead of flowers.
Bishop on March 5, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Dude, does everything have to be about how evil Ogabe is? Can’t you set politics and hate aside for five minutes? Here, why don’t you take a clue from this elderly gentleman:

Bush said their oldest son, former president George W. Bush, had called Wednesday, and that President Barack Obama and ex-presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton also called.

Bush said Obama told him he was thinking about Barbara “and wanted to send her love.” Bush added that he thought it was “extraordinarily thoughtful” for Obama to call, “with all the things on his plate.”

factoid on March 5, 2009 at 7:20 PM

My prayers go out for her and the bush family. May she get better.

Oh and same for Robin. Get well soon and stick to acting please :D

FontanaConservative on March 5, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Barbara Bush is a strong lady. Too bad she never ran for the Office herself!

SouthernGent on March 5, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Thoughts and prayers for the whole Bush clan.

Here’s something else to consider. This is a family that has been in the public spotlight for decades. Yet, they still seem to be real approachable people. Like or hate their politics (which I do hate on some really significant issues), they are who they are.

Compare that to the filthy liar who is the current occupant of the White House.

highhopes on March 5, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Barbara Bush is a strong lady. Too bad she never ran for the Office herself!

SouthernGent on March 5, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Nevertheless, I suspect her views were well represented in the administrations of her husband and son.

highhopes on March 5, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Wishes for good health!

Sekhmet on March 5, 2009 at 8:27 PM

God bless Barbara Bush! She is a national treasure.
And recovery prayers for Robin Williams, too; he used to be funny and he entertains the troops overseas.

Jenfidel on March 5, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Oh, and just read about Ed’s dad–prayers for him, too!

Jenfidel on March 5, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Prayers for the Silver Fox and Ed’s dad. One quote of the First Mom that I remember is that she said her husband was the first boy she ever kissed. I can understand why he choked up on TV a few hours ago.

Ed, if your dad gets cranky, that’s usually a good sign– means he’s still got a fighting spirit. Blessings to the First Mate too.

PA Cat on March 5, 2009 at 9:06 PM

They usually do not replace aortic valves with somebody that age but she is tough.

I feel for her because I had the same surgery.

getalife on March 5, 2009 at 9:13 PM

getalife, may you and the great lady be well, and Ed’s father too,

Entelechy on March 5, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Entelechy on March 5, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Thanks. I was surprised she chose the pig valve.

I went with the mechanical valve. It pops.

getalife on March 5, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Love and prayers!

froginthesky on March 6, 2009 at 12:34 AM

GOD bless Mrs. Bush. Not all the good die young.

If it weren’t for low class, they’d have no class at all.

tru2tx on March 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM

“Untouchables” without class at all.

darktood on March 6, 2009 at 5:21 AM

getalife on March 5, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Prayers ascending for you & RW as well.

OmahaConservative on March 6, 2009 at 7:20 AM

I’ve disagreed from time to time with both President Bushes, but I can’t think of anyone who doesn’t love Mrs Bush. She cements a wonderful family.

My prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

Mr. Grump on March 6, 2009 at 7:45 AM

I hope and pray for Mrs Bush’s full and swift recovery. And that of Mr Williams, as well.

Frivolous on March 6, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Oh, and for the elder Mr Morrissey as well.

Frivolous on March 6, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Thanks. I was surprised she chose the pig valve.

I went with the mechanical valve. It pops.

getalife on March 5, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Each has its pros and cons. You may already know this, but generally, mechanical lasts longer but you have to be on blood thinners. Biological may not last as long, but that’s less of a factor for older patients.

Be well.

cs89 on March 6, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I met Mrs. Bush-along with then V.P. Bush and Ah-nuld-when they made a late campaign stop during the fall of 1988.
I had just turned 18 and my political mentor introduced me to them.
All three of them were very nice and Mrs. Bush winked at me and said that I had a cool name.
It’s Barbara.
I normally unimpressed by celebrity.
I was impressed by the Bushes though.
From one “Bar” to another: Godspeed Mrs. Bush.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 6, 2009 at 5:31 PM

both bush brides were a total class act god bless you mrs.bush

wade underhile on March 6, 2009 at 6:57 PM