British press under strange impression that Obama doesn’t like to be questioned

posted at 6:32 pm on March 4, 2009 by Allahpundit

From Tim Shipman at the Telegraph, a companion piece to Dana Milbank’s story on the glaring dearth of diplomatic niceties extended to Gordon Brown on his trip to D.C. Remember that press conference that supposedly got snowed out? Word on the street is that no presser had ever been scheduled despite Brown’s desire for camera time with The One. The Oval Office photo op? Four questions taken in all, and no obligatory warm words of introduction for Brown from Obama. What gives? Shipman thinks he knows:

It will doubtless be seen as self-indulgent bleating by the media but there is much about this incident that is revealing about the way President Obama does business.

A Washington Post colleague just called me and said that the White House press corps cannot think of a single previous occasion when a British Prime Minister was treated in this way…

Major British hack involvement in a full blown press conference has always been regarded as useful by the White House press corps. We ask different questions from them, usually more aggressively and get answers they could not. There were several spiky and revealing moments between President Bush and the BBC political editor Nick Robinson. It is bizarre that Mr Obama is less willing to answer questions than Mr Bush. It reflects very poorly on his tendency towards control freakery, which has been in evidence since his campaign…

Obama has been running scared of the international media and the British press in particular since the start of his campaign. He didn’t give a single interview to a British outlet even when he was in the UK. This is very unusual, particularly from a man who so desperately wants to be loved on the world stage. We know we’re not special, given Obama’s general contempt for beat reporters (as opposed to his schmoozing with editors), but it is still peculiar.

At Britain’s Spectator, Alex Massie shares Shipman’s suspicion but puts it, er, a bit more bluntly. Good work, Hopenchange. Exit question: Why can’t the man just eat his waffle?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yep. People are beginning to realize how much of a sham Obama’s pose of “transparency” is.

Of course, it’s going to take some time before we get such admissions from the American media.

tom on March 4, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Yeah those are some amazing foreign policy skills that the Liar in Chief has shown us so far. I’m not a big Palin fan but any criticism from the Left of her not being ready is complete bunk at this point.

WisCon on March 4, 2009 at 8:55 PM

But then Lincoln also did the same but had a Civil war to fight.

William Amos on March 4, 2009 at 6:35 PM

With Lincoln first came the war then came the suppression of the press. Obama is doing it bassackwards.

Oldnuke on March 4, 2009 at 8:56 PM

given Obama’s general contempt for beat reporters everyone

Fixed.

jgapinoy on March 4, 2009 at 8:57 PM

But hey, since you are such a sucker for MSM talking points (as evidenced by prior comments you’ve made about Rush and Ann Coulter) I can see why you are wary of the media suckering in people, since they do such a good job of it with you.

Buy Danish on March 4, 2009 at 8:42 PM

No. I’m not a media sucker. Personally, if I were a public figure I know I would ultra-cautious with the media especially in our current saturated environment. Things are changing very rapidly in our media.

terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 9:07 PM

terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 9:07 PM

more truth to what you typed than you know…since the Hearst empire imploded we have not had this partisan a media be so open and reveling in their biases…..

sven10077 on March 4, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Kinda puts that Al-Arabiya interview in a whole new light, eh?

Let’s sum up, shall we?

Allies:
(1) Obama has scared Canada bacon-less with his anti-trade schtick.
(2) He sent both Winston Churchill and PM Brown back to England in utter scorn.
(3) He offered, it appears unilaterally, to leave our Eastern European friends with no missile defense.
(4) Israel? “F— Israel!”
(5) Iraq? “F— Iraq! I’m outta here, man.”

Meanwhile, Enemies:
(1) Busy licking Putin’s boots–tongue stepped on by Putin.
(2) Ditto with Iran’s outspoken president.
(3) Congrats to Chavez for “democracy well done.”
(4) “Hey China, doin’ a bang-up job on human rights.”

This Hack-job of a president makes Carter look like a Teddy (Roosevelt, that is). Obama’s motto: “Speak softly to enemies and hit allies with a big stick.”

cackcon on March 4, 2009 at 9:24 PM

No. I’m not a media sucker.
terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Really? Coulda fooled me since you are so adept at repeating their talking points and out of context soundbites.

As for Obama, if this coward can’t meet with the Gordon Brown without hiding from the press (and creating a diplomatic mess in the process) then he might as well hand in his resignation now, and spare us all the agony of 4 years of pain and suffering.

Buy Danish on March 4, 2009 at 9:32 PM

As for Obama, if this coward can’t meet with the Gordon Brown…

Buy Danish on March 4, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Putin is just going eat Obama up and spit him out, but, hey, the world loves us!

WashJeff on March 4, 2009 at 9:37 PM

WashJeff on March 4, 2009 at 9:37 PM

wolves love sheep in a far different way than sheep love wolves….

sven10077 on March 4, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Buy Danish on March 4, 2009 at 9:32 PM

I guess the way I see it is today’s press is only looking for a “gotcha” moment, slip up, or gaffe. Why should I be upset the media didn’t get their “gotcha” moment that they can replay 100 times next day on television?

terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 9:46 PM

terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Oh I dunno…

because the last time I checked the entire theory of our government is based on the notion that the inherent mission of the media is to hold politicians accountable, this is impossible(I am granting the fallacy that the M$M is sincere in wanting to hold Bambi accountable) it i9s his damn job…..

even poor poor Bush was brave enough to face them….wasn’t Palin mocked ad infinitum for “dodging them”????

sven10077 on March 4, 2009 at 9:51 PM

In some ways I can’t blame President Obama (or any public figure) for wanting to be more guarded with the press. Let’s face it with 24 hrs news, blogs, YouTube anything misstep is blown out of proportion.

If you can’t handle the press, you have no business in the job. The press has a job to do (not that it has been doing that great a job of it lately), and this is the way it is, and the way it always has been.

The press isn’t something that you discipline by talking to them only when you think they are “good.” It’s not the job of the press to be particularly polite, or to make things easy on leaders. A good leader knows how to handle them. Obama (and his representatives) are the opposite of that.

This business with Britain is astoundingly gauche, starting with the bust of Churchill and moving through this visit. I am embarrassed to have a President who simply doesn’t know how to behave, or even the rudiments of how to behave.

Alana on March 4, 2009 at 9:56 PM

….even poor poor Bush was brave enough to face them

I agree with you, however, is our media holding people holding politician accountable?

You mentioned Bush, was blasting a picture of Bush mistakenly trying to exiting the wrong door holding anyone accountable? But I remember seeing it all over the news. That’s not accountability.

terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 9:56 PM

terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 9:56 PM

you are juxtaposing the newsies’ snarkiness and partisanship for their role in government…easy to do….

as one of Bush’s ardent backers I can’t particularly say I enjoyed his treatment but I accepted it was the price he and by extension my side had to pay to be trusted with stewardship over the ship of state…..

Ogabe cannot wrap his head around the notion the newsies don’t work for him overtly it is a covert thing.

sven10077 on March 4, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I sense some argy-bargy going on over there…

Grafted on March 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Why should The Moron have to explain himself.

He won.

notagool on March 4, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I’m not saying that politicians shouldn’t do any press. I wanted to be a reporter myself. I realize the importance of the press. We need our leaders to be held accountable and answer tough questions. But sometimes I get the feeling the press feels it needs to be allowed continuous/24 hr access or it’s not really “freedom of the press.” And I say “No they don’t.” I’m sure George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Lincoln weren’t walking with a reporter every single place they went and our country did just fine. And especially don’t want unlimited access to the press if they are only trying to report the gaffe the day or advance their agenda.

terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 10:06 PM

terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I love the founders with all my heart but you do get the underlying specious nature of your argument no??

Bush and Ogabe was/is in charge of a far more invasive, lethal, and dominating machine than the founders…

sven10077 on March 4, 2009 at 10:07 PM

sven10077 on March 4, 2009 at 10:07 PM

But that’s not a good excuse for the media becoming an invasive and a dominating machine.

terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 10:17 PM

I can you tell you this. All over Europe; the Obama honeymoon is abruptly coming to en end. My relatives over there tells me that Obama is just being slaughtered in editiorals.

In just 24 hours, the Moron-in-Chief has managed to insult our greatest ally, made us look weak to every Eastern European (missile shield) and a pathetic joke to the Russians.

Norwegian on March 4, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Kinda puts that Al-Arabiya interview in a whole new light, eh?

Let’s sum up, shall we?

Allies:
(1) Obama has scared Canada bacon-less with his anti-trade schtick.
(2) He sent both Winston Churchill and PM Brown back to England in utter scorn.
(4) Israel? “F— Israel!”
(5) Iraq? “F— Iraq! I’m outta here, man.”

Meanwhile, Enemies:
(1) Busy licking Putin’s boots–tongue stepped on by Putin.
(2) Ditto with Iran’s outspoken president.
(3) Congrats to Chavez for “democracy well done.”
(4) “Hey China, doin’ a bang-up job on human rights.”

cackcon on March 4, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Well Obama will be getting a visit from the Prime Minister of Australia (another important ally) at the end of the month, So lets see what sort of treatment he receives when he visits the White House.

Then again apparently ever since the EU gave Obama the cold shoulder when he asked for more NATO troops for Afghanistan the administration has been trying to convince Australia to increase its combat forces and commitment to the war, so maybe Prime Minister Rudd might get a better reception than Prime Minister Brown did.

Dreadnought223 on March 4, 2009 at 10:21 PM

terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 10:17 PM

until the machine devolves back to what it once was a 3-5 month a year endeavor taking up 5-11% of GDP I absolutely disagree….I want the newsies to be as invasive and abrasive as possible because they may accidentally stumble upon a real story.

sven10077 on March 4, 2009 at 10:23 PM

terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Polemical press from the opposition has been around before 1776 and democracy.

OmahaConservative on March 4, 2009 at 10:23 PM

But maybe cutting back from feeding the 24 hour news cycle actually helps reporters “stumble” on a “real” story? Maybe we let the news take a breather sometimes it would let reporters do some research and dig deep.

terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 10:35 PM

terryannonline on March 4, 2009 at 10:35 PM

the reporters who do real work and the reporters we see are not the same folks in most cases….

sorry but I will not tolerate Ogabe getting passes from hard questions en perpetual just because his fanbois don’t like him looking bad and I don’t think even a plurality of his own voters will either….

sven10077 on March 4, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Obama doesn’t quite appreciate that there are times when his international audience might have questions of its own that are unlikely to be asked if the only people doing the questioning are the American members of the White House press corps.

-BK Spectator

Got that right! Obama is afraid of the non-KoolAid-drinking international press!

Transparency.

TN Mom on March 4, 2009 at 10:51 PM

canopfor on March 4, 2009 at 8:52 PM

You may be joking but I’ve been saying seriously that the Community Reinvestment Act Was a form of reparations and that the “Stimulus” Plan was the final balloon payment. Most people ignore it. Just like they ignored it when I and others said that Obama was a Marxist/socialist/communist.

baldilocks on March 4, 2009 at 11:01 PM

He hates rich, white Americans too–especially white women, which, if you think about it, makes sense.

baldilocks on March 4, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Much as I respect baldilocks, have thought about it but it doesn’t make sense. IIRC one abandoned him, but another raised him. Why would he hate all white women in particular? What did you mean…? Thanks.

inviolet on March 4, 2009 at 11:20 PM

inviolet on March 4, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Mom abandoned him, enough said. I don’t claim to be privy to his relationship with his grandmother but he behaved as if he hated her as well (the “typical white person” comments and the funeral). It’s obvious why he might hate his mother and it’s obvious which characteristic makes her different from him besides gender. People often categorize others because of early influences. I don’t claim to know why psychology works that way, but I know that it does.

I’ve watched how he treats white women–with a total lack of gentlemanliness (is that a word?) and dearth of grace.

baldilocks on March 4, 2009 at 11:33 PM

You may be joking…..

baldilocks on Mar 4,2009 at 11:01PM.

baldilocks: Yes, I do like to inject humour,and I do like
your posts,

and your right Balilocks,all along you’ve been
trying to sound the alarm,the ‘Stimulus is a
ruse!

Rush Limbaugh,(Carvel+Begala Clinton War Room)
is a ‘Distraction’,while Obama carry’s out his
agenda,-through,Ayers and Dorhns!

Somewhere,there has got to be a plan,or on some
of Ayers teachings or Rev.Wrights rants,as to
the direction and how to get there,and get it
done,

for Reperations,and a ‘Stealth vehicle to mask
it,

like the ‘CRISIS DOOMSDAY ECONOMY”!!!!!!!!!!

Thank-You for responding,Baldilocks!:):):):)

canopfor on March 4, 2009 at 11:36 PM

OH,forget,Baldilocks,the ‘white women hate’,

I give you,exibit’A',——-”SWEETY”!:)

canopfor on March 4, 2009 at 11:38 PM

canopfor on March 4, 2009 at 11:36 PM

No problem. Build me an ice bunker up there.

baldilocks on March 4, 2009 at 11:38 PM

But there’s still a sense that, apart from his interview with Al-Arabiya and a CBC interview, Obama doesn’t quite appreciate that there are times when his international audience

Silly Brit the CBC = Al Jazeera (West) and they’re more in love with That One than MSNBC.

Caper29 on March 5, 2009 at 12:20 AM

*sigh*

Remember when WE had real journalists who saw through the politicians’ bullshit?

rockmom on March 5, 2009 at 12:57 AM

baldilocks on March 4, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Gosh, I thought I was the only one who saw that.

I have often thought that Hillary could have really gotten under his skin in a debate and made him melt down if she had understood this.

This guy has SERIOUS issues.

rockmom on March 5, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Gosh, I thought I was the only one who saw that.

rockmom on March 5, 2009 at 1:02 AM

There was Hillary and a couple of others that escape my memory at present.

Then there was Nancy Reagan. From there, the contempt for white women–especially those old enough to be his mother– was confirmed.

baldilocks on March 5, 2009 at 2:48 AM

baldilocks on March 4, 2009 at 11:33 PM

baldilocks on March 5, 2009 at 2:48 AM

Actually, had forgotten about both Nancy Reagan and his grandmother’s funeral. Wow and hmmmm… Am a little loath to accuse anyone of such blatant sexism and racism, even my beloved Obama (/s) but your point looks more plausible the more I think about it. Thanks.

inviolet on March 5, 2009 at 6:10 AM

Thank goodness Obama is making all of our foreign friends like us.

hawksruleva on March 5, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I’ve noticed since his campaign time, that the “Chosen One” does not liked to be questioned or have to respond. It’s almost, like how dare you.

I want this guy gone. He’s very dangerous.

America, please wake up.

shoregulls on March 5, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Oblahama can’t answer questions to a greater extent than what is pre written on the teleprompter for answers. He is kinda slow as a thinker.

seven on March 5, 2009 at 9:08 AM

From the mysterious rejection of the Churchill bust to the snub of GB, this White House managed to insult our closest ally for no apparent reason. Word on the Telegraph is that Michelle O was behind the intentional slight. It’s defenitely amateur hour at 1600.

skitch1 on March 5, 2009 at 10:41 AM

That Winston Churchill was a flagrant racist and colonialist is an accepted mantra of the cracker-hating radical stew in which Michelle O. and her sire have been steeped.
They drudge out-of-context quotes such as;l
“I do not admit…that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America, or the black people of Australia…by the fact that a stronger race, a higher grade race…has come in and taken its place” – Churchill to Palestine Royal Commission, 1937.

Michelle mandated the return of the Churchill but I’m sure. She is indeed Lady MacBeth

max1 on March 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Shall we start apologizing to the world for our poor excuse for a leader?

msmveritas on March 4, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Obama voters can send their regrets here.

Rae on March 5, 2009 at 11:15 AM

July 2008, Berlin: I am a citizen of the World. Ich bin itching to be President! I will make peace between nations!

March 2009: There vill be no more kvestions! Limey go home!

Tony Blair to Gordon Brown: I daresay old George was far friendlier–a fine chap he was!

Steve Z on March 5, 2009 at 12:40 PM

President Obama’s foreign policy motto: Keep our Allies at arms length, and embrace our Enemies… We are sooooooo royally Screweeeed…

jhogan7777 on March 5, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Mr Brown’s gifts included an ornamental desk pen holder made from the oak timbers of Victorian anti-slaver HMS Gannet, once named HMS President.

Another treasure given to the U.S. President was the framed commission for HMS Resolute, a vessel that came to symbolise Anglo-US peace when it was saved from ice packs by Americans and given to Queen Victoria.

Finally, Mr Brown gave a first edition set of the seven-volume classic biography of Churchill by Sir Martin Gilbert.

And in return, Brown received…

Obama’s blockbuster gift for Brown to reaffirm the ‘special relationship’: 25 DVDs

It has been reported that Michelle Obama raided the WH gift shop for gifts to give Mrs. Brown and their children.

Klassy!

Rae on March 5, 2009 at 12:55 PM

hey britian hands off or great king ,king teleprompter the
great.to everybody who believes in freedom of speech i will seeyou in the gulog i be the one digging a tunnel

wade underhile on March 5, 2009 at 7:45 PM