Pressure mounting to dump Steele? Update: Dems mock Steele, GOP with “I’m sorry, Rush” website

posted at 7:12 pm on March 3, 2009 by Allahpundit

Not really — or rather, not yet — but between stumbling into a fight with the hero of the base and making himself a late-night punchline for finding “hipness” in moldy slang, the ice beneath his feet is starting to crack. The RNC chair ideally needs to be good on TV and good at ingratiating himself with grassroots conservatives and their pocketbooks, and so far he’s been terrible at both. And don’t think people haven’t noticed:

Several Republican advisers to Congress and the previous Bush administration told Whispers that they are worried that the war of words is fracturing the party when it should be healing the division between conservatives and moderates in the wake of the 2008 election.

“What is amazing is that Steele was elected because of his communications skills, and it is those skills that are damaging the Republican Party. Before people begin to completely judge him as worthless, Steele needs to focus and knuckle down on building a strong foundation at RNC so we can begin rebuilding our majority,” says a top GOP strategist who has worked for House and Senate Republican leaders. “If his implosion continues, RNC members are likely to call a special session to dump him for an effective chairman. There is not much patience for failure.”…

“At this point, it is as if he has a fundamental misunderstanding of the job description. An RNC chairman who attacks Republicans and insults conservative icons is about as counterproductive as any Democrat could hope for,” says the adviser.

The party’s not going to scramble to oust its first black chairman, but if Steele goes on embarrassing himself he’ll become very easy to ignore, which will destroy his “change” mandate. When he called Rush out on D.L. Hughley’s show and labeled himself the de facto head of the GOP, I assumed it was his way of asserting himself; it was a foolish thing to do given the risk it posed to fundraising, but if he’d stood by his criticism it would have been a show of authority at least insofar as it proved he had the balls to take on Rush and not back down. Instead, he groveled right away. Like I said yesterday, lose/lose. Pull it together, chief.

Update: He knelt before Zod, and now the Democrats are laughing at him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

leetpriest on March 4, 2009 at 12:04 PM

No need for name calling.

I said they were part of the problem.

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Remember, kids, liberals are statists. To them, there is no difference between “agreement” and “obedience.” Therefore, to listen to Rush Limbaugh and agree with him is to accept him as your lord and master, and his failure to translate your devotion into political power is an incomprehensible lack of ambition that disqualifies him from having any legitimate place in the national political discussion. Only duly designated vassals of a powerful member of the nobility, such as Barack Obama’s menagerie of Hollywood pets, have any right to hold forth on politics.

Also, remember the only legitimate measure of one’s dedication to a political issue is how many billions of tax dollars one has thrown at it. How many government spending programs have Rush Limbaugh’s name on them? None! Therefore, he doesn’t really “care” about anything – he’s just an entertainer. Keep in mind that the countless millions he pays in taxes, or the huge amount of economic activity his successful radio program generates, do not count. Only spending tax money gets you a seat at the table in our national political conversation. The capitalist mules who provide the funds are expected to shut up and quietly pump their money into the Treasury.

Besides, Rush Limbaugh has been divorced, just like Albert Einstein, and he’s had a substance abuse problem, just like Winston Churchill, so he’s obviously just an idiot chickenhawk we right-wingers shouldn’t listen to. We should take our cues from someone sensible, like David Gergen.

Doctor Zero on March 4, 2009 at 12:03 PM

leetpriest on March 4, 2009 at 12:08 PM

No need for name calling.

I said they were part of the problem.

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:06 PM

No you didn’t. You blamed it on W. Are you so high that you don’t even remember what you said a few minutes ago? Get a job.

leetpriest on March 4, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Get a job.

leetpriest on March 4, 2009 at 12:10 PM

On second thought, I don’t want a F*** up like you touching my food, changing my oil, or even cleaning up my desk at work.

leetpriest on March 4, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I don’t listen to others to tell me what to think.

I do my own thinking.
And I hear many voices telling me what to think.

An maverick idiot, if you will. And a schizophrenic, too.

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 11:48 AM

FIFY, loser.

Jenfidel on March 4, 2009 at 12:12 PM

leetpriest on March 4, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I said he started it. The President’s job is to try to fix it. The alternative was collapse. It is the last step to save capitalism.

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Jenfidel on March 4, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Why so angry?

Try to keep it civil please.

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:14 PM

leetpriest on March 4, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I am retired.

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I’m not feeling all that civil today, getstuffed.
Guess you picked the wrong day to be a cretin.

Jenfidel on March 4, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Jenfidel on March 4, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Come on, we were having a civil discussion.

Only one guy threatened violence.

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I am retired RETARDED.

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:15 PM

FIFY

Mark Garnett on March 4, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Mark Garnett on March 4, 2009 at 12:22 PM

There ya go again.

How does that contribute to the conversation?

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:23 PM

How does that contribute to the conversation?

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:23 PM

By clarifying your mental capacity… that way other Conservatives will take it easy on you and not threaten violence. I’m not into that, but ridicule of ignorant positions is totaly ok…

Mark Garnett on March 4, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Mark Garnett on March 4, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Are you a doctor?

Thanks for not threatening violence like that other brave soul.

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Are you a doctor?

Thanks for not threatening violence like that other brave soul.

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:28 PM

No, but I play one on TV as you play someone in a CULT here on HA… I have never and will never call for physical violence against opposing opinions… I do think Obama IS a real, clear and present DANGER to America and Americans.

Mark Garnett on March 4, 2009 at 12:31 PM

This post has gone full retard.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I really would like to know what is inside the brain of anybody whose main goal in life is to touch the robe of the Messiah and really believe that he will deliver you from all distress, pain or suffering in the future.

technopeasant on March 4, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Mark Garnett on March 4, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I am Indepedent and think like with w, the President’s options were limited to use taxpayer money to avoid a collapse or collapse.

They both chose not to collapse.

I think that danger will pass.

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:39 PM

getalife is just peeved that her dog is constipated and she can’t indulge her coprophagia.

OmahaConservative on March 4, 2009 at 12:42 PM

This post has gone full retard.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2009 at 12:35 PM

:) I thought it was dead or at least on life support also, but just can’t pass on this troll, kinda like you and me…

Mark Garnett on March 4, 2009 at 12:42 PM

And there goes the civil discourse.

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Retard, “getalife is just peeved that her dog is constipated and she can’t indulge her coprophagia”.

Are you children?

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:44 PM

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:44 PM

If you can’t recognize an oft-mentioned quote from a recent movie, cut the faux indignance.

MadisonConservative on March 4, 2009 at 12:47 PM

That would have at least been more entertaining than what Steele actually did: nothing. Doing nothing is not his role.

You don’t understand although IIRC you should. Being a black conservative and/or Republican is like being an unpodded human from the movie Invasion of the Body snatchers. You can’t even explain your position because you’re being shouted down by almost all–even members of your family–and being called the most vile things one can think of. Steele knows this from his Maryland US senate campaign. So when he had the chance to answer back to an extremely racist verbal attack of those who believes as he alleges to believe and didn’t take, that says one of two things. Either he agrees with Hughley or he isn’t up to his task. I’ll be generous and assume the latter.

baldilocks on March 3, 2009 at 10:08 PM

It was a totally racist comment. And it shows how D.L. thinks. He thinks that whites hate blacks; therefore the sight of happy, cheering white people makes him think of those who want blacks dead. (Ask me how I know.) The Nazis are a handy metaphor.

And you think that idea should go unchallenged by that man who minutes before and in front of millions had asserted that he was the defacto head of the GOP?

baldilocks on March 3, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Damn. You’re sexy when you’re right!

I don’t entirely agree with the futile state of being the lone black conservative among friends and/or family. I think that many Blacks root for the underdog and are fascinated by the lone wolf among barking dogs. I’ve never made an enemy of a friend by being honest. However, I have lost so-called friends who were just enemies lying in wait — no loss.

Steele would have been shouted down and clowned into non-existence had he really begun to assert himself. But, he missed a huge opportunity to bust out a huge set of brass balls and clang them like the Liberty Bell.

He should not have taken his lumps with such glee. I fear for his future portrayal from both sides of the aisle. Methinks things are about to get ugly.

Steele wasn’t selected to play racial politics or because he appeared on FOX News a lot, no he was selected like Sarah Palin because they are “obviously” the most qualified for the job.

Poptech on March 3, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I think many felt Steele was the media savvy and easy-on-the-camera-lens kind of presence we needed. That need is there, Steele has failed at filling the gap. I believe Palin was an equally tragic error on the part of GOP.

Both politicians are capable, but the pressure of having to be “the one” for Republicans chipped their veneers.

Get someone qualified for the job with other talents than just their damn skin tone. Good god! The Republican party is dead ailing. finished…caused by trying to be democrap light!

jwp1964 on March 3, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Leave it to the GOP to outrank Dems in Applied Stupidity 101.

The Race Card on March 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM

full retard

I have chastised several people at HotAir for using “retard” as a pejorative. I point them to this site that makes the point better than I could.

But

That line is one of the funniest from one the funniest movies I’ve ever seen. That entire scene is genius. I laugh just thinking about it.

The Race Card on March 4, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Ah, a tough guy.

So brave.

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Thou were the one who compared us to a battered wife, so I turn your words against you.

Sakaki on March 4, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Are you children?

getalife on March 4, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I have been trying to ignore you BUT your post is terribly IRONIC.

Since when do they let 14 year olds retire…oh that is right… when they are retarded.

Jamson64 on March 4, 2009 at 7:20 PM

uhhh. didn’t Kennedy just get knighted today?

seesalrun on March 4, 2009 at 7:56 PM

“I take my cues from myself. I just enjoy pointing out to liberals how hypocritical they are. Besides, nobody divorced Teddy Kennedy when we all found out that he had a substance abuse problem. Nor did we even chastise either recent democrat president for abusing Scheduled controlled substances.”
leetpriest on March 4, 2009 at 12:08 PM

My bad, I was responding to that post. Proof positive that Conservatives not only forgive but are NOT hateful. I don’t like the guy, but he’s old and not perfect. Don’t agree with his positions or agendas but am respectful. No matter what.

seesalrun on March 4, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I think we should drop “nanny state” from the GOP lexicon, since the Dems are clearly children. Implying they are somehow running the nursery instead of just running wild and throwing tantrums is frighteningly absurd and bad strategy.

That being said, the next RNC chair (Steele needs to GO) should be Nanny 911. It’s embarrassing to have a website — from the White House, as it turns out — mocking Steele for apologizing to Rush Limbaugh.

Also, no more throwing Rush under the bus.

The President wants to install a cap and trade regime that will bring crippling energy costs. Do we want him to fail? YES

etc. etc.

If we can rope him into some of our ideas, in the spirit of true bipartisanship, then of course we want him to succeed. He needs to say WHICH failed policies of the past, if he’s gonna use that slogan.

We all know what, “I won” means. Why don’t we hear more about that from the GOP, instead of all this whining about Rush, a successful talk radio host.

chunderroad on March 5, 2009 at 7:47 AM

The Race Card on March 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM

This post has “The Internet Warrior” seal of approval…

Mark Garnett on March 5, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Let’s have the NEXT RNC Chair say the following and have it echo’d over and over and over and over by every single talking head that Conservatives have… Pound the following into the American peoples minds, have them saying it to their friends… Pound it, pound it and pound it again:

Do we want Obama’s cap and trade that will cost the average homeowner and business MILLIONS in higher energy costs, electric bills, gas bills, and gasoline prices to suceed?

NO! Conservatives want it to FAIL! We want to protect the American people from huge burdens to the family budget.

Do we want to stand in lines, have third world Health Care provided by The Messiah and his thugs, rationed care for our elderly, loss of choice of our own personal Doctors as is proposed… Do we want this Socilist Health Care to suceed?

No! Conservatives want it to FAIL! We want the American people to have freedom of choice of Doctors, personal responsibility for our health choices and affordable coverage that people control, not big Government.

**** Do you guys see how affective this can be? Take every single point that The One is currently proposing and ramming down our throats… Go line by line and simply ASK Americans if this is what they voted for, if this is the Hope-n-Change they expected… We take the fight to them, on their own agenda… This WOULD BE a huge campaign, radio, TV, every single pundit and every Conservative guest on TV would hammer the “facts”, not talking points…

Let’s get a list going and send it to the RNC and our Congressmen… Let’s give them the ammo that is already stockpiled to the rafters…

Mark Garnett on March 5, 2009 at 8:04 AM