Are you ready for Prime Minister Geert Wilders?

posted at 3:20 pm on March 3, 2009 by Allahpundit

A Dutch poll taken February 7 showed his party in third place behind the Christian Democrats and Labour. Three days later, the Brits banned him from the UK. The latest Dutch poll, taken February 28: Wilders’s party 27, Christian Democrats 26, Labour 21.

Well played, Gordon Brown.

“How happy I am about this. These are of course just polls, but it is an enormous sign of confidence from the Dutch voter,” said Mr Wilders.

“As far as I am concerned, elections can be held tomorrow, then I will be the next premier”.

Polling by Maurice de Hond has predicted that the Freedom Party or PVV would take 18 per cent of the vote to win 27 seats in the 150-seat Dutch parliament.

This would put Mr Wilders in the position of being a power broker and prime minister in a traditionally complicated Dutch multi-party coalition.

Don’t get too excited: As I understand it, the Dutch typically hold parliamentary elections once every four years and the next one’s not scheduled until 2010. Even so, the prospect of one of Islam’s fiercest critics becoming the leader of a western government is heady stuff. It could only happen in a parliamentary system, I suspect; no European majority would vote for a guy like him for president knowing that his victory would attract the attention of every jihadi filthbag in striking distance. In fact, I wonder if the Islamist threat wouldn’t keep Wilders out of power even if his party did take the most seats in the next election. Unless they won a clear majority, which is unlikely, the other parties would feel intense pressure to keep the terrorist bullseye off their backs by forming a coalition among themselves. Exit question: Can you imagine The One having to receive the creator of “Fitna” at the White House?

Comments

Me jealous.

Shy Guy on March 3, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Better yet…get Keith Ellison to meet him.

MadisonConservative on March 3, 2009 at 3:24 PM

best news I’ve heard in quite a while!

homesickamerican on March 3, 2009 at 3:25 PM

He can opt out if it snows. No big deal.

a capella on March 3, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Most likely he’d have Wilder’s arrested and held in GITMO for terrorist activity.

BobMbx on March 3, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I was going to watch Fitna, but I heard it was ugly and incendiary.

That’s an impressive poll. I wonder if the support can be sustained.

Spirit of 1776 on March 3, 2009 at 3:26 PM

nationalists can get carried away often…so my instinct is to be wary of guys like this…but i actually have a great deal of respect for him. it took a lot of balls to do what he did and insist upon having his voice heard.

he makes his opponent all of islam, which i dont necessarily agree with…but i do find Islamic government the most deplorable form their is…worse than communism, worse than anything. Islamic governments are the most retrograde, diabolical, inhuman forms of government on the planet. They deny women the right to an education and a place in the work force…the impose morality and literally codify as law our more base instincts…the exact opposite of our legal system. they are scum, and minister Wilders fights them. Fight on brother.

ernesto on March 3, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I think he’d have no problem doing that.

radiofreevillage on March 3, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I was going to watch Fitna, but I heard it was ugly and incendiary.

Spirit of 1776 on March 3, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Sometimes the truth is ugly.

BobMbx on March 3, 2009 at 3:28 PM

BHO would much rather chat with AckMyDumbJihad over Arabian coffee.

jgapinoy on March 3, 2009 at 3:28 PM

BobMbx on March 3, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I joking:) I’ve seen it.

Spirit of 1776 on March 3, 2009 at 3:29 PM

This would be a dream come true. I’m sure Mark Steyn would wet his pants if this happened. The Euro’s read his book and finally woke up to these scums! e

youngO on March 3, 2009 at 3:30 PM

He’s Batman

– The Cat

MirCat on March 3, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I’m not so sure about that. I would also add that it is much more likely that Wilders and his party would not be able to put a governing coalition together and form a government, in a parliamentary system, than his getting elected to an individual position of, say, President.

This poll is great news, nonetheless. Thank you, Britain, for your outstanding display of cowardice.

progressoverpeace on March 3, 2009 at 3:30 PM

is heady stuff

“heady”? *Golf clap*

amerpundit on March 3, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Great news! Go Geert!

I had the privilege of meeting Geert Wilders last week here in NY. Shot some photos and video too.

Urban Infidel on March 3, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I was going to watch Fitna, but I heard it was ugly and incendiary.

Spirit of 1776 on March 3, 2009 at 3:26 PM

You ain’t kiddin’.

Warning: hate site linked.

MadisonConservative on March 3, 2009 at 3:31 PM

“I was going to watch Fitna, but I heard it was I was going to watch Fitna, but I heard it was ugly and incendiary. .”

If quoting the qur’an and then showing imans and jihadists preach and practice it then it was very ugly and incendiary.

Elric66 on March 3, 2009 at 3:31 PM

OHHH LAWD. I know this is the real world, but is this sh*t fun or what? This is the anarchist in me just saying, “LET IT BURN.”

jimmy the notable on March 3, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Are you ready for Prime Minister Geert Wilders?

jake-the-goose on March 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I can imagine Obama, or Gibbsy denouncing him while praising Gordon Brown.

I was going to watch Fitna, but I heard it was ugly and incendiary.

Spirit of 1776 on March 3, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Dittoes.

Buy Danish on March 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM

No, because Obama would never meet with him. I’m doubtful he’ll meet with Netanyahu. Leftists ostracize or imprison their political enemies. They don’t meet them for coffee.

chicagojedi on March 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Geert Wilders, Hammer of the West!

The Fifth Crusade has been put off for far too long…

pseudonominus on March 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM

That young man has balls

Streecar on March 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I was going to watch Fitna, but I heard it was ugly and incendiary.

Spirit of 1776 on March 3, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Congratulations, you’re qualified for British Parliament!
(yes, I know you were kidding.)

jimmy the notable on March 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Sarcasism has found it’s home on Hot Air. Yikes incendiary…

petunia on March 3, 2009 at 3:38 PM

The best man for the job. He might be the modern day Winston Churchill. No one in Europe nor our president wants to listen to his warnings.

jencab on March 3, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Elric66 on March 3, 2009 at 3:31 PM

im going to venture a devils advocate position here and see if anyone bites…

ernesto on March 3, 2009 at 3:39 PM

We ignore the Europeans’ instinct for survival.

It still trumps Utopian idealism.

Entelechy on March 3, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Geert Wilders, Hammer of the West!

The Fifth Crusade has been put off for far too long…

pseudonominus on March 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I’m sorry but you can be arrested for using the word “Crusade” in Obama’s America… watch yourself, the blogs are reported to the One.

petunia on March 3, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I have to disagree.

The Left has through intimidation pretty much silenced White folks for years. By constantly pushing the racial guilt button they have managed to get a lot of very Leftist policys in place… which are direct threats to Freedom, and saftey.

But, once the threat hits a certain threshhold, there will be a backlash. I think we are starting to see that now.

Many many people I know are just fed up with Multiculturalism, and constantly being blamed for things we didn’t do, and then the left using that Guilt to further destroy the societys our Father’s built (case in point, Obama is destroying America, and I truly believe there is no way he would not have been elected had he not been “black”).

In 1990 no one expected the USSR to fall. In 1936 no one expected Hitler and Nazi Germany. In 1858 no one saw a 4 year US Civil War starting just 2 years later….

Napoleon? Stalin? Castro? all had support from large portions of their populations…

History is full of events which started when folks just plain got angry… and IMO we’re reaching that tipping point now.

Romeo13 on March 3, 2009 at 3:41 PM

ernesto on March 3, 2009 at 3:27 PM

My thoughts exactly!
I agree with the premise of his work, but I would be afraid if he became PM that he would overstep his power. Though they need sombody who has the guts hose these people down when they are setting the city on fire.

Glenn Jericho on March 3, 2009 at 3:41 PM

The problem with Dutch politics is the proportional allocation of seats in Tweede Kamer (their version of the House of Representatives). Even minute parties garnering 1-2% of the vote get seats.

Even if PVV gets 30% of the vote, they won’t have much more than 30% of the seats. It would only force another “grand coalition” of the spineless Labour and Christian Democrat parties. They won’t ever join in a coalition with PVV.
Same situation in Austria, where the Freedom Party is shut out of govermnent regardless if they become the largest party.

Only a near 50% showing would ensure Gert Wilders the prime minister post.

Norwegian on March 3, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I watched on the Bill O’Reilly show and I really liked him. He would make a good American! You go Geert!

txstar on March 3, 2009 at 3:42 PM

ernesto on March 3, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Already been done… Ever read Hitchens… or look at that Mar movie…. nope? Me either I’m just saying nobody got kicked out of the UK…

petunia on March 3, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I am surprised the rop hasn’t killed Geert yet for his stand. I give him credit for gobs of guts on telling the truth. This would be great if he did win. Stay safe Geert.
L

letget on March 3, 2009 at 3:42 PM

It will not happen. He will be killed. That’s just how “they” roll.

myrenovations on March 3, 2009 at 3:42 PM

“would the rev. wright tapes, used exclusively along with the westboro baptist knuckleheads…in a movie about Christianity in america…be fair?”

No because neither coincide with the teachings of Jesus while on the other hand the examples of Fitna goes along with the teachings and examples of Mo.

Elric66 on March 3, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Behead the pollster

faraway on March 3, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I was going to watch Fitna, but I heard it was ugly and incendiary.

That’s an impressive poll. I wonder if the support can be sustained.

Spirit of 1776 on March 3, 2009 at 3:26 PM

well avoid it by all means then, based on what you “heard.”

max1 on March 3, 2009 at 3:45 PM

If only Pim Fortuyn had lived.

DaveO on March 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Imagine, Malkins in De Nederlands!

I might think about migrating.

TheSitRep on March 3, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Well, I don’t know about his politics…

but I sure am ready for THAT HAIR!!!

JohnGalt23 on March 3, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Or have Wilders address the UN. I wonder how many Islamic countries would walk out.

rbj on March 3, 2009 at 3:53 PM

petunia on March 3, 2009 at 3:42 PM

oh yea, i guess maher did make that movie…my bad

ernesto on March 3, 2009 at 3:53 PM

That, in itself, is reason to cheer Wilders on. The rest (getting serious about the Islamic threat to Europe) is just extra icing on the cake.

whatcat on March 3, 2009 at 3:55 PM

I watched the film Fitna and am wondering why in the world we Americans are worried about a ‘tiny’ thing like water bording on these horrible people. WE have to be nice, they can cut heads off and all is just another day in their world!
L

letget on March 3, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Man, they could sell tickets to that and balance the budget.

rockmom on March 3, 2009 at 4:02 PM

LOL… if he becomes PM, the Brits will kinda have to let him into their country. That is pretty sweet justice.

Illinidiva on March 3, 2009 at 4:05 PM

First Rudy over Paterson, now this! Yowza!

ctmom on March 3, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Anyone going to bite ernesto?
OK, I’ll have a go:

No, because of neither of those cults is mainstream. Wright’s church is based on Black Liberation Theology, a racist offshoot of Liberation Theology, which IIRC the Pope himself criticised when it was popular amongst Catholics in Latin America. Wright himself is a former member of the Nation of Islam, another weird black cult (who mainstream Muslims don’t recognise as Muslims). The Phelps brigade are the extreme end of the anti-homosexual spectrum, but they aren’t actually advocating violence or committing it. The quotes in Fitna show Muslims committing acts as the Koran tells them to. Read Robert Spencer’s Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam if you want to see how mainstream those beliefs are. In Britain they found that nearly 25% of Muslims want to live under Sharia law *in Britain*. I’m surprised it was as low as that.

Fortunata on March 3, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Yipee, looks like there is still hope in the land of the stoned. Hopenosis is wearing off …

tarpon on March 3, 2009 at 4:11 PM

WOOT! Go Geert!

It would so rock to see the O have to snivel when meeting him.

ProudinNC on March 3, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Palin/Wilders 2012
Yeah, I know…forget the native born law..Obama did.

RobCon on March 3, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I was able to see his speech at CPAC and it was awesome.

Go here to see it!

xler8bmw on March 3, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I would vote for him if I could

Conservative Voice on March 3, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Rove – you magnificent bastard!!!

revolutionismyname on March 3, 2009 at 4:26 PM

If only Pim Fortuyn had lived.

DaveO on March 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Doesn’t his ghost blog here every so often?

Anyway, Geert as PM would be amazing. His comparison of the Koran to Mein Kampf might seem over the top to many, but sadly I have come to the conclusion that this is closer to the truth than not. Until Islam itself has its own Reformation and Enlightenment, then it is what it is.

There may very well be so-called “moderate Muslims” but their religion, beliefs and holy book certainly are not. Reformation anyone????

J.J. Sefton on March 3, 2009 at 4:26 PM

xler8bmw-

The CPAC video of Wilders is fantastic. Atlas, Spencer and Bostom and Wilders rocked! A definite must-see!

Urban Infidel on March 3, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Problem is that he would be persona non grata. He would be treated like Haider in Austria or worse. Western leaders would fall over themselves in a rush to be the first to denounce him as PM.

keep the change on March 3, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Where do I send my check to GeertPAC?

Western_Civ on March 3, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Where do I send my check to GeertPAC?

Western_Civ on March 3, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Atlas Shrugs has a fund going for his lawsuit expenses, I think.

Fortunata on March 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM

I would rather donate to his around-the-clock security detail…

pseudonominus on March 3, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Where do I send my check to GeertPAC?

Western_Civ on March 3, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Dude, I know you are not serious, but still, let me state the obvious: the last thing Geert needs is to be seen as the guy who is on the Americans’ payroll.

factoid on March 3, 2009 at 5:00 PM

The Dutch aren’t stupid. They could have made headway on dealing with this problem if Pim Fortuyn wouldn’t have been murdered by a vegan activist in ’03. It just took a while to cultivate someone who gave voice to the anger the average Dutch citizen who saw his/her country and culture being stolen from them by bigoted, xenophobic, homophobic immigrants.

Plus, since it seems like everything Gordon Brown turns to crap, I guess the obverse might also be true. Guy Fawkes’s blog (http://www.order-order.com) has a lot of fun with that theory.

PimFortuynsGhost on March 3, 2009 at 5:07 PM

’02, not ’03. That is what happens when posting and watching Arsenal at the same time.

PimFortuynsGhost on March 3, 2009 at 5:09 PM

That would be brilliant you’d have the Western Europeans imposing sanctions on the Netherlands like they did for Austria when it elected a moderate right wing prime minister. In Europe it doesn’t matter how far commie you go, but show the smallest backbone of conservative ideology and it’s like you have the plague.

eaglewingz08 on March 3, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Ha, but what if he became Prime Minister and then the Netherlands got the rotating presidency of the EU? Hilarious, but I don’t think it’ll ever happen.

Fortunata on March 3, 2009 at 5:40 PM

The next parliamentary elections in the Netherlands are slated to take place on May 11, 2011, not sometime in 2010 as Ed stated. There will be municipal elections exactly one year from today.

The next time the Netherlands is slated to get the EU presidency is in 2016. There will be another general election before that, in 2015.

Just two other useless factoids.

factoid on March 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM

What’s the story in this? Are the Dutch going to handle the war on Islamofascism in some kind of partnership with Israel?

Because …

News Flash – the United States won’t be there to help. Case no one noticed – we’ve joined the league of cowering nations along with the UK, Spain, France … etc. etc.

HondaV65 on March 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Where do I send my check to GeertPAC?

Western_Civ on March 3, 2009 at 4:37 PM
Atlas Shrugs has a fund going for his lawsuit expenses, I think.

Fortunata on March 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Pam does have it on http://www.atlasshrugs.com if you want to donate!

xler8bmw on March 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Allahpundit you diabolical marvelous basterd, you!

Theworldisnotenough on March 3, 2009 at 6:02 PM

For a little context for our readers. There is no Dutch Rush Limbaugh, no Hannity, no O’Reily, nothing. The media has nothing to do with conservatism. The disconnect is so Orewelian that after Theo Van Gogh was murdered and artist painted a large mural of an angel and the words thou shall not kill. The mural was hosed down and destroyed at the request of a local imam.

Theworldisnotenough on March 3, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Dare we dream???

Corky on March 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM

It’s what a dominant hairstyle can get you!

Grafted on March 3, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Hell, let’s get the guy over here to run in 2012. Apparently you don’t have to be a natural born citizen anymore.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 3, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Last I heard, the liberal Dutch were trying to put Geert in jail. He is probably Europe’s last man standing!

CrusaderPatriot on March 3, 2009 at 8:20 PM

I was going to watch Fitna, but I heard it was ugly and incendiary.

It’s ugly and incindary because it shows a lot of Islamic preaching.

Pelayo on March 3, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Today, the dearest of our many freedoms is under attack all throughout Europe. Free speech is no longer a given. What we once considered a natural element of our existence, our birth right, is now something we once again have to battle for.

Whether or not I end up in jail is not the most pressing issue; I gave up my freedom four and a half years ago. I am under full-time police protection ever since because of death threats from Muslims and terrorist groups linked to Al Qaeda.

In the last few years I lived in different safe houses, army-barracks and yes: even prison cells in order to be safe. But it’s not about me. The real question is: will free speech be put behind bars? And the larger question for the West is: will we leave Europe’s children the values of Rome, Athens and Jerusalem, or the values of Mecca, Teheran and Gaza?

Our Western culture based on Christianity, Judaism and humanism is in every aspect better than the Islamic culture. Like the brave apostate Wafa Sultan said: it’s a comparison between a culture of reason and a culture of barbarism.

The left once stood for women rights, gay rights, equality, democracy. Now, they favor immigration policies that will end all this. Many even lost their decency. Elite politicians in Europe have no problem to participate in or finance demonstrations where Muslims shout “Death to the Jews.” Seventy years after Auschwitz they know of no shame.

Let us defend freedom of speech and let us gain strength and work hard to become even stronger. Millions think just like you and me. Millions think liberty is precious. That democracy is better than Shariah. And after all, why should we be afraid? Our many freedoms and our prosperity are the result of centuries of endeavor. Centuries of hard work and sacrifice. We do not stand alone.

Ladies and gentlemen, our enemies should know: we will never apologize for being free men, we will never give in. We will never surrender. There is no stronger power than the force of free men fighting for the great cause of liberty. Because freedom is the birthright of all man. Freedom must prevail, and freedom will prevail.
– Geert Wilders

MB4 on March 3, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Anyone remember Pym Fortuyn?

patch on March 3, 2009 at 10:13 PM

How dare Wilders stand up for individual liberty, freedom of expression, the human conscience and against a theocratic tyranny!

Doesn’t he know Islam is a very unique form of race, and that to oppose it is clearly “racist”?

And that Islam’s ideology is collectivist, which is de facto Leftist, thus Wilders is a “dangerous Right winger”?

How dare he injure the feeling of 1.5 trillion people!

profitsbeard on March 3, 2009 at 10:24 PM

J.J. Sefton on March 3, 2009 at 4:26 PM

The Christian Reformation was based on returning to the original text(s), not running away from them; by that standard, returning to the Islamic texts tends to to make one more militant, not less. In this regard, Wahhabis are the ultimate Reformers. (Acknowledged as such in the Muslim world too, according to at least one post I’ve read on JW/DW.)

OTOH: If someone were to propose a spiritual-only Islam that obeyed the Golden Rule, insisted on treating non-Muslims as full equals under the law, protected their right to property and personal liberty, accepted the legitimacy of secular, man-made laws in the realm of society and governance, and allowed Muslims to apostasize with enthusiastic protection of life & limb by the Muslim majority, then on what Islamic basis would such an “Islam” be based?

(Sorry if you were aiming for levity – I admit I’m somewhat tone-deaf this evening ;-)

Just two other useless factoids.

factoid on March 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Yes, you underappreciated, oppressed soul. FWIW I’m still thankful for your contribution, in spite of the snark (what, you just can’t help yourself?).

RD on March 3, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Don’t get too excited

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????!!! :D

OneGyT on March 3, 2009 at 11:56 PM

HOLY CRAP I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!!!!

ebrawer on March 4, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Geert is AWESOME.
I think he has the only set of ba!!$ in Europe.

Badger40 on March 4, 2009 at 11:33 AM

And therin lies the problem. They should be saying “bring it on.”

Vashta.Nerada on March 4, 2009 at 11:42 AM