Oh my: Toomey eyeing primary challenge as Specter’s polls tank

posted at 2:05 pm on March 2, 2009 by Allahpundit

A Ned Lamont of our very own?

Former Congressman Pat Toomey (R, PA-15), current Club for Growth President, just announced on Bobby Gunther Walsh’s 1-On-1 Show, WAEB, 790AM, that a Primary challenge to Senator Arlen Specter is “now back on the table.”

Mr. Toomey acknowledged that “Senator Specter cast the deciding vote on the very worrisome stimulus Bill, when he could have negotiated with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and President Obama for more productive tax cuts and less wasteful spending.” Pennsylvanians need to do some soul searching about who will really represent us in the Senate.

Remember, Toomey had been thinking about passing on the Senate and making a run for governor next year after coming within two points of knocking off Specter in the 2004 primary. Why the change of heart? Because, unlike Lamont, given Specter’s polling these days, he might not have to defeat the incumbent twice to win his seat. Or would he?

A new statewide poll shows 53 percent of Pennsylvanians — and 66 percent of Republicans — want someone to replace Sen. Arlen Specter.

Asked whether they think Specter, a Philadelphia Republican, has done his job well enough to win re-election or whether they’d prefer a “new person” in that job, registered voters by a 53-38 percent margin said it’s time to give someone else a chance, according to the poll by Susquehanna Polling and Research. Eight percent were undecided…

If the election were held today, “in a two-person race, Specter is toast” if his challenger is a credible candidate, Lee said. A race with more candidates likely would improve Specter’s chances of winning.

Exit question one: Would losing the primary to Toomey actually help Specter? If the Democrats run a Blue Dog against him in a two-man race, conservative Republicans might cross over en masse to punish him for his stimulus betrayal. If it’s a three-man race, conservative Republicans vote for Toomey, liberal Democrats vote for the Dem, and centrists from both sides opt — maybe — for Specter. Exit question two, in case any of Toomey’s people stumble across this post: Would you donate to Toomey’s campaign? I’m sensing mass blogospheric support. Maybe he is our Lamont after all.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Allah – I know you can explain how to split votes – you do it everyday in your headlines (why wasn’t this Obligatory – it would have more accurately reflected your attitude).

Fuquay Steve on March 2, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Would you donate to Toomey’s campaign?

petefrt on March 2, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Would you donate to Toomey’s campaign?

I’m a Pennsylvanian. If Toomey would just announce it, I’d donate, buy yard signs, and start everything today.

malan89 on March 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM

I wonder if the specter of defeat looms before him?

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Oh my: Toomey eyeing primary challenge as Specter’s polls tank

Couldn’t happen to a more raunchier RINO.

GO TOOMEY…

byteshredder on March 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Would you donate to Toomey’s campaign?

Hell yes.

eyedoc on March 2, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I no longer live in Pennsylvania, but I was born and raised there. If Toomey announces his candidacy, I’ll definitely be funneling some money his way. Specter is a disgrace, and has been for a long time.

NoLeftTurn on March 2, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Count me in! I voted for Toomey last time around and would gladly do so again.

Sam Adams on March 2, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Be still my heart! Can these poll numbers hold? God works in mysterious ways and can work good from all situations. I’m willing to pay a few more tax dollars myself if it rids the US Senate of RINO’s like Spectre! Fingers Crossed!

sabbott on March 2, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Maybe he is our Lamont after all.

lamont was an idiot and a loser.

peacenprosperity on March 2, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Where did the nickname “Allahpundit” come from? Maybe if I knew that answer I would have the slightest idea of where you are coming from, because I sure can’t tell from your blog entries. Not going to lose any sleep over it for sure, just curious. Whatever.

kg598301 on March 2, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Toomey… Toomey… Toomey… Toomey… Toomey…

Chaz706 on March 2, 2009 at 9:24 PM

The upcoming voting cycles are going to be very interesting. My HOPE for CHANGE is high, and signs are in place that a bloodless coupe is about to take place.

Signs such as those saying, “I am Mad as Hell and am not going to take it anymore.”

MSGTAS on March 3, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Just don’t let Santorum or Bush anywhere NEAR his campaign!

On second thought, maybe they should both campaign for Specter again!

Mr. Grump on March 3, 2009 at 11:05 AM

A Ned Lamont of our very own?

Your point AllahPundit? Are you suggesting that ALL incumbents by the virtue of their incumbency should NEVER be challenged in a Primary? That if a candidate goes so off the reservation, we should simply accept it because he was elected to office one or multiple times?

Ned Lamont isn’t a very good example anyway. The reason why conservatives so loved to watch Lamont go after Liebermann and Liebermann go Independent is for ONCE it was happening to the other side. A feat that BARELY ever happens and is a shock to the system when witnessed by a conservative. The only people who attack their own are RINO, elitist, statist, tax and spenders who like to tell their base to STFU. Then are giving the bases’ donations by the RNC to run for re-election. Then we have those representatives that, after being elected by the conservative base, find their so-called “conscience” and decide the aren’t going to vote with the GOP or turn Independent.

Sultry Beauty on March 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM