Christopher Buckley surprised to find the guy he voted for is, in fact, a statist liberal

posted at 4:40 pm on March 2, 2009 by Allahpundit

Remember this classic from October? The audacity of hope indeed:

But having a first-class temperament and a first-class intellect, President Obama will (I pray, secularly) surely understand that traditional left-politics aren’t going to get us out of this pit we’ve dug for ourselves. If he raises taxes and throws up tariff walls and opens the coffers of the DNC to bribe-money from the special interest groups against whom he has (somewhat disingenuously) railed during the campaign trail, then he will almost certainly reap a whirlwind that will make Katrina look like a balmy summer zephyr…

So, I wish him all the best. We are all in this together. Necessity is the mother of bipartisanship.

A few trillion dollars in spending later, comes the reckoning:

Hold on—there’s a typo in that paragraph. “$3.6 trillion budget” can’t be right. The entire national debt is—what—about $11 trillion? He can’t actually be proposing to spend nearly one-third of that in one year, surely. Let me check. Hmm. He did. The Wall Street Journal notes that federal outlays in fiscal 2009 will rise to almost 30 percent of the gross national product. In language that even an innumerate English major such as myself can understand: The US government is now spending annually about one-third of what the entire US economy produces. As George Will would say, “Well.”…

If this is what the American people want, so be it, but they ought to have no illusions about the perils of this approach. Mr. Obama is proposing among everything else $1 trillion in new entitlements, and entitlement programs never go away, or in the oddly poetical bureaucratic jargon, “sunset.” He is proposing $1.4 trillion in new taxes, an appetite for which was largely was whetted by the shameful excesses of American CEO corporate culture. And finally, he has proposed $5 trillion in new debt, one-half the total accumulated national debt in all US history. All in one fell swoop.

Funny he should mention Will, whose latest piece for Newsweek addresses this precise idea of Obama being a statist wolf in sheep’s “pragmatist” clothing. (“Addressing Congress last week, the president said he is strengthening government ‘not because I believe in bigger government—I don’t.’ Chant it, everybody: Yes you do.”) Follow the link to see Buckley confess to feeling “almost unpatriotic” for doubting that the new New Deal will work. This, mind you, from a guy who declared in the aforementioned October piece, “I am a small-government conservative who clings tenaciously and old-fashionedly to the idea that one ought to have balanced budgets.” Exit question: Which of the right’s prominent Obamicans will be next to evince buyer’s remorse? Kathleen Parker’s ride on Air Force One should tide her over for a few more bailouts and The One’s speechcraft should give Peggy Noonan plenty to praise for the foreseeable future, so the smart money’s on Brooks. Welcome back, David!

Comments

OT
My nephew worked for Merill Lynch up until the new year, and he was in the retirement savings accounts division. Bright young man, normally. Socked away as much as was allowed into his 401K. He voted for Obama. I can’t wait to ask him how his 401K is looking now? He was downright beligerent at Thanksgiving when the subject came around to the housing market collapse. Refused to even acknowledge the govt. hand in it. Obama was going to fix it.

He now has no job. No prospects now in the financial sector. And no real wealth in his retirement acct.

Like Buckley, he is getting his Hope N Change right up the keester!

JAM on March 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Tell him he should be glad he isn’t in prison along with the rest of the economic terrorists who ran Merrill Lynch for the last 5 years. That company is more responsible than any for the mess we are in and the fascist regime that is now running the country.

rockmom on March 2, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Well then quit b*tching about the spending, Chris. He’s “succeeding”.

ddrintn on March 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Great point! That’s exactly what i’m saying

youngO on March 2, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Looking like an @ss should make him fight twice as hard to see that Hussein’s agenda fails!…YES FAIL!!!

christene on March 2, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Sounds like a blueprint of Obama’s first month in office — except he left out ramming through a trillion-dollar “stimulus” bill to pay off Democratic special interest groups, and appointing liars, cheats, and radicals to high government positions.

I found this buried at Fox News. Have not heard anything about this all day. Another tax troubled Obama appointee:
I guess it isn’t even news anymore.

Joe Caps on March 2, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I just had a big argument with a lib about this, yada yada – Obama is investing in the future, renewable energy, getting out of Iraq – they just don’t get it.
Then he started saying how great Bill Clinton was and what a diaster Bush was.
I told him Obama was a communist had is trying very hard to follow the model of Cuba and that just left him with saying that I did not know what I was talking about and that Obama was dealt a crappy hand by Bush and that Obama will lead us to greater prosperity. I wrote this all down and sealed it in an envelope I will open one year from now.

izoneguy on March 2, 2009 at 5:37 PM

JAM on March 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM

But, but surely your nephew is pleased that you and I will be paying his mortgage, no?

I read a comment over at Lucianne, new bumpersticker “Honk if I’m paying your mortgage”.

silenced majority on March 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM

This is insane.

ronsfi on March 2, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Ron Kirk, nominated as U.S. Trade Representative in the Obama administration, owes an estimated $10,000 in back taxes from earlier in the decade and has agreed to make his payments, the Senate Finance Committee said Monday.

Doesn’t that just make you feel like an idiot for paying taxes.

Yep–transparency and ethics alright. I just think the dictionary I have is out of date.

petunia on March 2, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Fuck you Christopher Buckley – yes you of the soft and flabby face of a well fed coward. I hope you lose everything under this abomination of an administration. Fuck you along with Kathleen Parker, Andrew Sullivan, David Brooks, George Will, Heather MacDonald and all the RINOs in the Senate.

Hilts on March 2, 2009 at 5:42 PM

By the way, that George Will column is GOLD. Will is on fire these days. He is sure to be at the top of the White House enemies’ list.

rockmom on March 2, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Like Buckley, he is getting his Hope N Change right up the keester!

JAM on March 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM

petunia on March 2, 2009 at 5:43 PM

silenced majority on March 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM

I think I am going to make one that says “Dow 6000 – Thanks For The Change!”

rockmom on March 2, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Heh.

Heh. Heh.

Heh. Heh. Heh.

Sure, the whole country’s going to go to Hell in a handbasket, but it still feels mighty damn good to say:

SUCK IT, BUCKLEY!! WE TOLD YOU SO!! HOW DOES IT FEEL TO HAVE PISSED ON ALMOST EVERYTHING YOUR OLD MAN STOOD FOR? HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE A STOOGE, OR BETTER YET, ONE OF OBAMA’S MEDIA WHORES? WELL, TAKE THAT BILE RISING IN THE BACK OF YOUR THROAT AND CHOKE ON IT!! OH, NO, YOU CAN’T SPIT. YOU GOTTA SWALLOW IT ALL NOW!!

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Dukeboy01 on March 2, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I love it. Bring on the public apologies!

AbaddonsReign on March 2, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I was thinking the same thing, only plural. He needs to be specific; name names, and beg forgiveness of us all… He should’a known better.

Maybe we could have one traitor come out openly against Obama each day. Very publicly, and timed when possible to ensure his failure. (Sorry, the One’s policy and such’s failures).

RalphyBoy on March 2, 2009 at 5:46 PM

.and I’ve been Twittering with some blacks who either never fell for Ogabe’s charm or who’ve already gotten it that he’s completely wrong on his policies.
There is hope!

You will never get the Blacks to vote against Obama, no matter how cute and adorable you make Conservative thought.

Let’s agree that 95% of Blacks went for Obama the first time around. How many do you expect to win? 5%? 15? Is it really a win if only 85% of Blacks vote for Obama?

Look at South Africa and Zimbabwe, the leaders there rape, kill and decapitate and the population still votes for them over and over. Say that can’t happen in the U.S.A.? What about Marion Barry of Washington D.C.? Caught on camera with his pants around his ankles smoking a crack pipe and he got reelected by huge margins. What about O.J.? How much a suspension of disbelief does it take to argue a man is innocent when he flees his arrest in slow motion with a gun to his head? O.J. is not even a Messiah. No, I am afraid that Whites are going this one statistically alone.

GunRunner on March 2, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Hilts on March 2, 2009 at 5:42 PM

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE

FUCK YOU BUCKLEY!!! I BET DADDY’S REAL PROUD U POS

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on March 2, 2009 at 5:54 PM

anniekc on March 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Feel the same way at times. I guess some federal hate crime, our political free speech issue might ensue.

Plus I’m getting good at whacking folks to their faces.

Had to day off… Snow. Tomorrow though, I’ll bring up the stock market to a few of the traitors I work with. Nothing about Obama per se yet… Just…. Boy that stock market is really getting bad. I’m canceling my 401k withdraws and automatic stock purchases until we get a new plan from DC. Bullets and can goods are a better bet for now. Don’t cha think… heheehe… Oh yeah! You betcha.

RalphyBoy on March 2, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Christopher Buckley shouldn’t have a writing gig. Dude sucks.

Some of my liberal friends are having a tough time defending the spending I’ve noticed, and they really stutter when I tell them the rendition program will most likely be expanded and that enemy combatants at Bagram will have no constitutional rights as per the Obama admin.

toliver on March 2, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Buckley would have a fatal heart attack if he ever figures out how dumb and duped he’s been. And it was all just to be loved by libtards who made fun of him for being in the same movement with NASCAR fans. BUCKLEY, YOU ARE CHAMBERLAIN!

Western_Civ on March 2, 2009 at 6:01 PM

GunRunner on March 2, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Mayor Neigan… I’m just sayin…

RalphyBoy on March 2, 2009 at 6:02 PM

How’s that egg on your face taste Buckley? Wadda maroon….

Hog Wild on March 2, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Which of the right’s prominent Obamicans will be next to evince buyer’s remorse? …the smart money’s on Brooks.

The guy who, in his last column, said he was a great admirer of Obama?
Thanks, but I’ll keep my money dumb. If Brooks is right of center, then Liberace was straight.

whitetop on March 2, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Gee Chris, no shizzle?

Why don’t you go crawl back under some Huffpost rock someplace, you sold out your dad’s legacy 6 months ago.

quikstrike98 on March 2, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Well, Mr Buckley has finally turned off the snooze button and waken up. “Buyer’s Remorse” Mr Buckley? I’m sure at some point, your Dad taught you about ‘core values’. And how ‘core values’ do not change and are not compromised in a spirit of “bipartisanship”. Or did you sleep through that lecture as well?

GarandFan on March 2, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Fat Boy said in his article

I’m all for audacity and all for hope. “L’audace, l’audace—toujours l’audace!” (Frederick the Great)

Actually that was Georges Danton.

Hilts on March 2, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Soon Obama will be sending IRS agents to check our change jars and fish out those quarters from under the sofa cushions because we have the change he’s been waiting for.

Yes, We Can!

Tantor on March 2, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Welcome back, David!

forget that. he’s an embaressment to his father’s name. WFB must be spinning in his grave.

This is like the story of Samuel or David, and his children…sad…

right4life on March 2, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Actually that was Georges Danton.

Hilts on March 2, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Wrong again! Its was Gen. George Patton, who said it was Frederick the Great(or was it Napoleon?).
Anyhoo, I researched it: Pure Patton!
Gotta love him!

Jenfidel on March 2, 2009 at 7:10 PM

petunia on March 2, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I sold all stocks when it looked far left in the primaries.

High Yield Savings accounts right now

No sympathy for the Obama crowd if I meet any EVER.

Conan on March 2, 2009 at 7:38 PM

GunRunner on March 2, 2009 at 5:47 PM

You can make inroads I think among Hispanics, some have very traditional values but with Blacks who were raised on being race victims, govt recipients and hating the Republican Party. I would limit my resource allocation.

Conan on March 2, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Conan on March 2, 2009 at 7:38 PM

You know the sad thing is that you could still pull out of stocks at these levels due to these Marxists.
The markets is going nowhere but lower with their insane policies.

jjshaka on March 2, 2009 at 7:51 PM

If this is what the American people want, so be it,

How could Buckley even entertain this being acceptable?

That money doesn’t belong to “America” it belongs to individual Americans.

If 9 of Buckley’s neighbors get together and decide that they want his money, would he say “So be it” and hand it over? Or would he tell them to take a long walk off a short pier?

The principal is the same even when you zoom out to a national level. People have no right to vote themselves more of our money (and, worse yet, our children’s and grandchildren’s money).

This whole situation is garbage.

JadeNYU on March 2, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Ha! The snark is well deserved here AP, good job!

aikidoka on March 2, 2009 at 7:58 PM

President Obama will (I pray, secularly) surely understand that traditional left-politics aren’t going to get us out of this pit…

Golly, I don’t even know where to begin in pointing out Christopher Buckley’s idiocy.

Really, is there even any point in saying “I told you so?” To such a complete and utter prat?

Just fart in his general directions a couple of times and move on. He’s not worth any more than that.

logis on March 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Wow. What the hell do you think we were saying all last year, Christopher? So dumb.

Achilles on March 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM

PARTIAL LIST OF DOCUMENTS THAT BARACK OBAMA REFUSES TO RELEASE -. OBAMA’S SECRECY AND “CLOSED RECORDS” POLICY
Indonesian Passport – Not released
Application for U.S. Citizenship (as former citizen of Indonesia) – Not released
Immigration Records – Not released
Baptism Certificate – None
Medical Records – Not released
Illinois State Senate Records – Not released
Law Practice Client List – Not released
University of Chicago Scholarly Articles – None

searcher484 on March 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM

In his editorial last week Brooks’ as much as admitted he was duped. But he is still in a swoon over the charisma which has turned the Presidency into the office of Savior in Chief. He thinks that’s what the unwashed masses must have.

John E. on March 2, 2009 at 8:49 PM

John E. on March 2, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Perhaps I am just special, but was is this charisma that everyone seems to think Obama has?

Yes, he is slick sort of like Clinton, but not in the manner of a skirt chasing rascal. Obama is probably best compared to Kim Jong Il. The “he’s a genius at everything” shtick gets old…fast. Especially when you hear the man speak without a teleprompter.

18-1 on March 2, 2009 at 9:16 PM

No idea. Apparently I am missing the Obama-receptor portion of my brain as well.

herrevery on March 2, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Anyhoo, I researched it: Pure Patton!
Gotta love him!

Jenfidel on March 2, 2009 at 7:10 PM

No you are wrong. Patton was quoting Danton.

Hilts on March 2, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Not to beat a dead horse

As a vigorous orator, who often spoke extempore, Danton had few rivals. Some of his statements have become proverbial. His speech on 2 September 1792 to the Assemblée Législative after the Battle of Longwy contained the stirringly immortal: ‘Le tocsin qui va sonner n’est point un signal d’alarme, c’est la charge sur les ennemis de la patrie. Pour les vaincre, Messieurs, il faut de l’audace, encore de l’audace, toujours de l’audace et la France est sauvée.’

Hilts on March 2, 2009 at 9:33 PM

What? Wasn’t this guy supposed to be one of the wizards of smart? After all, Obama wrote two books that were well-written, he had to be an alright chap.

I want a do-over to 2006. Somewhere right about election season 2006, I somehow crossed over into the Twilight Zone. No real world would have elections in which Nancy Pelosi and Harry Ried get control of Congress and then two years later elect a Marxist to the Commander in Chief of the United States of America.

I’m going to wake up any time now.

AZfederalist on March 2, 2009 at 11:55 PM

T. Coddington Van Voorhees VII

aquaviva on March 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Heh.

Blacksheep on March 3, 2009 at 12:14 AM

So does this mean that the new definition of “intellectual” is “to blinded by puppy love to see the train coming down the tracks”?

J in STL on March 3, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Stalin’s enablers.
Much as the real item, Lazar Kaganovich, who even copied his hero’s mustache.

Is it too soon to call them traitors?

TexasJew on March 3, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Allah – that was your best paragraph in months, lets have more of that please!

echosyst on March 3, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Buckley is not a lone pheonomenon. I’m sure there are more than a few spineless RINOs like this, who we do actually need to win again.

Speedwagon82 on March 3, 2009 at 3:49 AM

The whole pack of pseudo-conservative intellectuals who supported this big-eared marxist freak can go to the nearest beach and pack sand. That they did not see this coming and so many of us lesser intellects did speaks volumes about their supposed intelligence and foresight. Dumbasses!
No doubt they will continue to be sought out for their prescience (as long as it predicts Ogabe’s success) on Sunday chat shows. But woe be unto them if they stray from the annointed one’s sight.
For me, vindictive bastard that I am, their words are dead and buried and I won’t waste any more of my precious time reading them. There are enough good (as in refusing to suck up) writers out there worthy of reading and heeding.

SKYFOX on March 3, 2009 at 5:21 AM

SKYFOX on March 3, 2009 at 5:21 AM

BRAVO !!!

Mark Garnett on March 3, 2009 at 7:43 AM

I well recall that earlier thread on Hot Air, regarding Christopher Buckley going all starry-eyed about Obama. And Buckley was easily identified as an idiot then and he still is. At least, now, he’s learning he is, indeed, an idiot.

Lourdes on March 3, 2009 at 9:05 AM

And don’t forget Wall St was a huge Obama donor.

Idiots, all of you.

Columbia Thesis – Not released
Harvard College Records – Not released
Baptism Certificate – None
Medical Records – Not released
Illinois State Senate Records – Not released
Law Practice Client List – Not released
University of Chicago Scholarly Articles – None ‘;][..

searcher484 on March 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Why, Mr. Buckley, you did let the door hit you on the way out… left your good sense on the door handle, too. Could you please wipe that off and throw it away as your body obviously has no use for it? Perhaps you might try finding some common sense, I hear that Paine is the best remedy when you lose your senses.

ajacksonian on March 3, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Yep, just about the point at which I thrown off the ‘cattle truck’ and doing four count pushups with a full ruck sack on top of some poor guy with some other idiots feet on top of me and a drill sergeant/ranger/jumpmaster threatening to tear my head off and @#$% down my throat.

Good times

Bunsin on March 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Thanks for the flashback memory…..LOL. Getting some weird looks but you had to be there right? I won’t ever forget SSG Iverson.

VikingGoneWild on March 3, 2009 at 11:43 AM

RalphyBoy on March 2, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Brain Gremlin: [on telephone] Well, it’s rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they’ve got into canned food and shotguns.

VikingGoneWild on March 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM

How could Buckley even entertain this being acceptable?

That money doesn’t belong to “America” it belongs to individual Americans.

This whole situation is garbage.

JadeNYU on March 2, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Right on the money.

VikingGoneWild on March 3, 2009 at 12:06 PM

If this is what the American people want, so be it,

How could Buckley even entertain this being acceptable?

JadeNYU on March 2, 2009 at 7:51 PM

How could he even entertain that it’s in anyway accurate? Obama lied about his intentions and obscured any and all revealing information about him, and the abundant and obvious clues to his agenda seen during his campaign were trivialized or characterized as racist by the media and his minions (but I repeat myself).

This isn’t what the American people want, you idiot. Obama’s 53 million were as foolish and gullible as you were (are) when they cast their votes for him. It was a willing, even eager, suspension of disbelief. I thought you Ivy-league ivory-tower assholes were supposed to be smarter than the rest of us.

cheeflo on March 3, 2009 at 12:47 PM

The people who really understood what was going on got their money out as soon as Obama won the Democratic primary. That was the beginning of this whole mess.-petunia on March 2, 2009 at 5:43 PM

All the money I could take out was out by the end of June, 2008. I told others to do so-some listened, some did not.

Here is an article folks might wish to read.

Beginning Now: The Panic Phase of the Economic Collapse