Police video shows disturbing response to teen assault, plus poll

posted at 2:17 pm on March 1, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Any of us who have parented teenagers know how frustrating they can be, and one has to imagine that police officers know that better than most. Most of the time, they react better than Deputy Paul Schene did in this video, after a 15-year-old girl responded to a demand that she remove her shoes by flipping one at Schene. He then charged into the cell and now faces criminal prosecution (via QandO):

The video shows Schene and Brunner as they escorted the girl into the holding cell. Schene had asked her to remove her basketball shoes, and, as she slipped out of her left shoe, she appeared to kick it at Schene.

Schene then lunged through the door and kicked her, striking either her stomach or upper thigh area, court documents say. He pushed her against a corner wall before flinging her to the floor by her hair. He then squatted down on her and made “two overhead strikes,” although it’s unclear where the blows landed.

The detective who reviewed the video said it appeared Schene and Brunner had the girl under control when Schene struck her. Schene, who is 6 feet 2 and weighs 195 pounds, did not explain his action to investigators, court documents say.

He and the girl exchanged words. Brunner said she was “real lippy” after being informed she was under arrest and called them “fat pigs.”

The Sheriff’s Office policy manual says deputies should use physical or deadly force only when “necessary to effect an arrest, to defend themselves or others from violence, or to otherwise accomplish police duties according to law.”

Normally, we give police a lot of leeway to control violent or obstructive arrestees, and for good reason. It’s dangerous to second-guess how an officer reacts in two ways. First, in many instances, we don’t get a chance to see the larger context, in which an officer may see a threat not depicted in later exploration of video clips. Second, it pressures law-enforcement personnel to act too passively in situations requiring greater control, leading to dangerous and even deadly incidents.

In this case, though, it’s difficult to see any context in which Schene could justify his actions. Presumably, the teen had already been searched for weapons and was in fairly firm custody at the jail. She committed an assault by flipping the shoe at Schene (and battery if she actually hit him), but she represented no threat at all, nor were there any threats in the vicinity of the secure detention facility. Even before he punched her in the head twice, Schene used an excessive level of force clearly intended for punitive action rather than to secure the girl.

The defense did not want the video released before the trial because it would “inflame public opinion”. I’d guess that would be the case, but the video is publicly owned by the Seattle taxpayers who paid for it. Would the police have released it if the video showed Schene properly reacting to a real threat? I’m betting yes.

What do Hot Air readers think? Did Schene overreact, and does he deserve prosecution?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

If that’s the way you feel, you might want to take a closer look at Blake’s posts.

Tomblvd on March 2, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I hear you loud and clear.

He and I are on opposite sides of the fence on this issue. I’m trying to get him to see things from our perspective. I was trying to plant the seed so to speak. Maybe I was too subtle. I don’t think Blake does either but hes trapped into a position he never intended. I don’t want a police state.That would be Tremmy.;>)

I find this to be one of those truly rare occasions where no matter how I look at it or try to justify it, I can’t find a way to support this cop.

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 12:30 PM

cop over reacted… is that normal procedure to walk someone around while grabing their hair… I bet not…

NRA Lifer on March 2, 2009 at 12:31 PM

PEOPLE PLEASE…

Ok, we agree, most part… COP IS GUILTY and NEEDS TO GO!

But almost everyone also see’s nothing wrong with the girls actions… I thought “personal responsibility” was a corner stone of Conservatives… It is with me…

Many a gangbanger kills before age 15, drugs run rampant before 15… She is NOT a small innocent child…v Stop making excuses for HER horrible behavior also while ONLY condemming the fat pig…

Mark Garnett on March 2, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Agree for the most part, but if the parents decided to press charges and let the law take its course regardless of family connection that would be understandable as well. In any case that wouldn’t excuse the brutal actions of these officers.

DarkCurrent on March 2, 2009 at 12:28 PM

They could, but it would be the mark of parents with no interest in being good parents. If you have to sic the cops on your kids because you’re too afraid of leveling your own discipline, you aren’t being a parent.

MadisonConservative on March 2, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I feel bad for both sides but this is just another guy that will lose his job for some smart mouth temper tantrum throwing punk.

Tremmy on March 2, 2009 at 12:25 PM

If a police officer can’t stand the pressure of a teenage girl taunting him, what pressure can he stand? He’s a danger to the public.

DarkCurrent on March 2, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Mark Garnett on March 2, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Exactly. The parents, not the state, should be taking responsibility for this. Conservatives also value family over government.

MadisonConservative on March 2, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Wow a regular conversation about a situation turns into F me. That’s mature. I believe I am not the only 1 debating this. Opposite opinions are apart of life and I gave in on this subject on my last comment anyway. And my politics are in line with 80% of the people here at HA.

Tremmy on March 2, 2009 at 12:33 PM

And my politics are in line with 80% of the people here at HA.

Tremmy on March 2, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Except that whole “free speech” issue.

MadisonConservative on March 2, 2009 at 12:34 PM

I was brought up in a family where I was taught respect and that is how this situation could have been avoided.

Tremmy on March 2, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Yes, agreed, if this cop had respected his office and respected the law, then he would never had felt the urge to break the law and throw garbage on his office.

But…his more base instincts took over, took over whatever respect for the law he used to have. Whatever transgression can be applied to the teenage girl here, the police officer’s transgression significantly outweighs it. He was supposed to be the more responsible party, he was supposed to be the adult, he was supposed to be representing The Law.

deesine on March 2, 2009 at 12:38 PM

MadisonConservative on March 2, 2009 at 12:31 PM

We agree. My point was that the officer’s response to a very minor provocation was by far the most serious crime.

DarkCurrent on March 2, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Almost everyone? I haven’t seen ANYONE suggest that the girl didn’t deserve punishment, and many acknowledge that she did. There’s a big difference between saying she she shouldn’t get the crap beat out of her and saying she shouldn’t be punished. The thing is that “smart-mouthed punk mouths off to officers” isn’t very newsworthy or controversial; “cop gives smart-mouthed 15-year old girl a beat-down” IS newsworthy and (surprisingly) controversial.

Yes, of course charge the girl appropriately and give her her day in court. Do likewise with the cop.

RegularJoe on March 2, 2009 at 12:39 PM

DarkCurrent on March 2, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Agreed.

MadisonConservative on March 2, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Tremmy on March 2, 2009 at 12:33 PM

It was inappropriate to use the f word I agree. Who ever did it should be throttled and have the tar beat out of them right?

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 12:40 PM

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Mark Garnett on March 2, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Gee Tremmy, I don’t know what came over me. Maybe I just snapped, like that cop did. Forgive him, did ya? I see how it is; the old double standard at work again.

I see many of you here talking about this 15-year-old punk not acting right. Well, here’s today’s news for ya; 15-year-old kids aren’t yet adults. They do act out. They do stupid things. Don’t act responsibly or in their own best interest. How many of you never did anything rash at 15?

Stupid behavior aside, they still don’t deserve mistreatment such as this. All the cop had to do was shut the door and walk away, take a deep breath. I guess he just snapped.

Honestly, its getting so alarming these days that you have to be afraid to say anything in your own defense when pulled over for a minor traffic infringement (or for no apparnet reason at all). Again for all you people who are brain impaired – people hired to fullfull government jobs are required to uphold the law, not be above it.

fullogas on March 2, 2009 at 12:44 PM

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Thanks for the rare moment of conciseness and levity on this thread.

deesine on March 2, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Yes but then the cops will come and if I call them fat pigs, flip my shoes at them they will throw me to the ground and put cuffs on me. I like pretty much everyone here, I like to see different views and how people justify and debate. HA has good people and the F word should have no place here

Tremmy on March 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM

True 15 year old is not an adult unless she kills someone, which is another debate in itself.

Tremmy on March 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I’ll admit it. I’m sincerely shocked that some people think there’s an explanation for the cop’s behavior.

I err on the side of supporting cops whenever possible and even believed the cop who shot the cuffed man likely just messed up rather than thought he could get away with cold-blooded murder in front of all those witnesses with cameras.

Still, I’ve got nothing on this one. It doesn’t even look like a large shoe. Sure, it’s enough to charge the girl with assaulting a police officer, but had he just done the paperwork and walked out, he’d have been in the right.

Esthier on March 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

What does anyone concider an adult anymore?

If a parent can not control a child (under 18) then what do you do?

No one knows why this happened. Has anyone said anything about what or how she acted or did before the cell?

I am curious… I am not going to say the cop went over board. But I wouldn’t put it past the 15 yr old for over doing whatever she was doing to tick them off.

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Yes but then the cops will come

Tremmy on March 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Why, because beating the tar out of someone is illegal?

Esthier on March 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Sigh. Again Tremmy, she’s 15. You, I assume, am an adult but you fail to get the point. Perhaps physical assault like this is warranted for a mouthy adult (when violence is obviously imminent); certainly not for a petite female teen who is already confined to a cell and who has no prior record and poses no real danger for a 6′+ male with a taser and a gun.

fullogas on March 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Tremmy on March 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Here is a thought. You have been given an apology for the f word by the person who used it. Do you accept the apology or are you going to continue to rant about it? Do you still want them throttled and have the tar beat out of them.

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Yes I accept the apology and have completely moved on from this story. I think you can tell my tone has changed.

Tremmy on March 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Symbolically the girl is Rush Limbaugh and the cop is Obama. So deal with it conservatives. That’s what you get if you don’t shut your stupid pie-holes.

miles on March 2, 2009 at 9:46 AM

If we’re gonna talk symbolism here. I’d say the cop is Ted Kennedy. He also thinks it’s okay to hurt young woman and get away with it.

sothinbelle on March 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Ted Kennedy didn’t hurt the young woman; he murdered her because he had knocked her up.
If the woman isn’t showing physical signs of having received a real beating, than what we saw was a “shock and awe” operation. Demonstrating the availability of overwhelming force often prevents the need to use any.
I once saw 6 police cars, and at least 12 officers armed with M-16s and shotguns, stop 1 car and arrest 2 men. I saw the 2 suspects change from being ready to fight, to peacefully surrendering when they saw the force they were facing. No shots were fired.

darktood on March 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

If a parent can not control a child (under 18) then what do you do?

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I’m thinking an arrest and possible juvenile detention will enter into the equation. However, I’m not thinking a beat-down by a police officer. This cop clearly went overboard…and then refused to swim and sank like a rock.

deesine on March 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Tremmy on March 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Great. I think it is apparent that you also don’t want them throttled and have the tar beat out of them. The girls did that to the cop while she was confined and she was throttled and had the tar beat out of her for it. Thats what is the concern we all express. What she did to get arrested is irrelevent in the context of the discussion. Until a judge and jury convict her we must presume innocence. That is our right under the constitution. As conservatives we must protect that right even if it is one who we respect ( a cop) that violated it.

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Tremmy, I do apologize. It was mean to use the f word. I don’t want to ruin anyone’s day. We just disagree. Have a nice day, k?

fullogas on March 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

just a general comment…it is easy to get caught up in the moment and emotions can take over and tempers flair. We are human after all. One thing I will say. For most of us we are here at HA because we care. We care about our country and we care about each other. I don’t think any of us intends to hurt the feelings of another. Sometimes it happens and both tremmy and fullogas have proven they are ok by openly resolving any hard feeling between them I’m porud of both of you.

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 1:05 PM

deesine on March 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

You obviously have never been around a “child” who is out of control.

I am curious (as I have stated before) what she did before she got put into the room.

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I can’t spell proud but I am

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 1:07 PM

lol kanda. Aww shucks maaaaaw (ducks head)

fullogas on March 2, 2009 at 1:10 PM

darktood on March 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

That doesn’t sound analogous to me. “No shots fired” would be more analogous to “no head thrown against the wall”. The analog to the situation you describe would have been for him draw his tazer (or to close the door and go get, if it was locked up), and warn the girl that if she didn’t comply she risked being tazed. That sounds like a much better response than taking her down and beating the tobacco juice out of her, doesn’t it?

RegularJoe on March 2, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Wow, I’m sorry, but that video (alone since I have no clue what happened before) showed one officer really overreacting. You notice he kicks her first when he enters, and then slams her to the ground. Over what? Words, shoes being kicked?

Regardless, I know, as usual, we don’t have all the info, but just watching that video alone, I can easily say he overreacted big time. That was completely unnecessary. I would be embarrassed to be his partner at this point.

cabbageheat on March 2, 2009 at 1:33 PM

You obviously have never been around a “child” who is out of control.

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I have been around out-of-control teens. Or maybe I should say you’ve obviously never been around out-of-control “cops”. Ya, that’s me honking at you.

That the cop waited until receiving her shoes pretty much rules out him being in a situation that called for immediate action.

Maybe you can help me here upinak: how could she have possibly acted that proper procedure would call for the officer to first ask for her shoes and then respond with a beat-down?

deesine on March 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM

one more thought, dipshits like this 15-year-old are often quite adept at playing the assualted victim to the max….

max1 on March 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM

max1 on March 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM

No doubt.

Also, no relevance.

RegularJoe on March 2, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Unruly teanagers are a product of our liberal society. The good book says “spare the rod, spoil the child”. That’s good advice. In our liberal society it you use the rod on your child you lose your child and go to jail. Kids are not stupid. They know you can not do anything to them. They have us all over a barrel. Once a kid is out of control whether it be drugs or alcohol or some other reason it is too late to teach what should have been taught when they were 2 ,3 ,4 ,5 ,6 years old. Once they are teeens they will have to learn the hard way for themselves. Some end up in prison, some on death row, and some recover and turn things around. A parent today has no chance. The liberals and liberal politicians have seen to that. Crime was lower, drug and alcohol use were lower, violence lower. What changed? I posit it was liberal education that caused the change. Now teachers are afraid to walk into some classrooms. The bible is true. Unfortunately, society is reaping what they have sewn. Teachers blame the parents, Parents blame the teachers. One thing is clear, no one is taking responsibility. I’m not sure we will ever get this genie back into the bottle. Our children are growing up with no valid limitation on them and no rules of conduct. I’ts great to have a carrot (reward) but their needs to be a stick (punishment). How can we expect our children to become responsible adults if they never learn what resposibility is? Where are the heros? When I was a kid we had them. Sure they were mostly fictional but not always. We had Roy and Dale and the Lone Ranger and Tonto Superman, Mickey and Minnie Mouse. We had Micky Mantle and Roger Maris. We had Chuck Yeager, Alan Shepard, Richard Petty, Muhammad Ali…. so many good role models. How many good role models can you name alive today?

Some will focus on Muhammad Ali as one of my choices. Yes he refused to be drafted. Agree with him or not, You have to respect him. He stood up for his convictions at tremendous peril to his career. He gave up his title over it. In the end he was vidicated and regained his title twice again. He is an example of holding to ones belief at you own peril. Again like the bible teaches us. Kind of like we conservatives floating on a sea of liberals trying to be true to our values. It’s hard. It’s darn hard.

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Also, no relevance.

RegularJoe on March 2, 2009 at 1:39 PM

well i guess not, but you get an army of “victims” and a population of innumerate sheep willing and eager to fire every cop they see commit any kind of transgression and then reward the victims with ridiculous sums of tax money…
that’s not a solid foundation for a society to stand on…

max1 on March 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM

deesine on March 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM

I have been around both actually. But you don’t seem to get the fact that I am wondering why it started.

What did she do? Did she do something (which I am sure what happened) to un-nerve this cop to do what he did? Has this cop ever done anything like this before? Where are the parents?

I am looking at the whole picture…. not just this one piece. I think you are new so I am not going to be totally rude to you but this has been discussed in other threads. Simular to this. And since we only have a few pieces, I am not going to jump to conclussions.

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Symbolically the cop is the Mainstream Media and the girl is Sarah Palin.

miles on March 2, 2009 at 2:00 PM

I have worked in an adolescent group home, all boys. We were trained in SCM, safe crisis management which is how to restrain a child who is out of control. Trust me..Ive seen a ton of boys who were out of control, attacking staff, throwing things, swearing or fighting with another teen.

When we restrained a child it was done without hurting them. If the child was hurt in the restraint, we were investigated by the state. All employees had to be trained, including me who was a cook, and it worked.

I am surprised that policemen arent trained to deal with a teen like this. It would prevent these problems.

becki51758 on March 2, 2009 at 2:03 PM

What did she do? Do you feel what she did can in any way justify what he did?

Did she do something (which I am sure what happened) to un-nerve this cop to do what he did? If she really frosted the cop does it justify what he did?

Has this cop ever done anything like this before? We see him do it THIS time. What matters is not whether he did it before but preventing him from doing it again. Agree?

Where are the parents? This is the only partly valid question you ask but still not relevant to what happened in this video. I would change it to “where were the parents 9-12 years ago when it mattered.

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Everybody is a loser in this. The kid, the parents, the police, and society. The real challenge is how can this kids life be turned around. If there is anyone in her life that she respects a teacher, a grandparent, a neighbor anyone she will listen to and consider their perspective, now is the time to get them involved with her. Her life and the quality of it most likely depends on intervention now.

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 2:04 PM

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Ya, I’ve been around both as well.

This one piece of the picture is all this girl’s auttourney is going to need to convince a jury to vote police brutality. More than likely this will be settled before going to trial.

I’m not new here, and I don’t remember a looks-like-a-cop-gone-bad thread covering exactly what police procedure, in any county, in any state, calls for an officer to respond by first asking for the perpetrator’s shoes before performing a beatdown procedure.

deesine on March 2, 2009 at 2:07 PM

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 2:04 PM

And on that I totally agree with you. But she also has to make the choice to turn it around as well.

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 2:29 PM

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Yep and lets hope for her sake she does the right thing.

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 2:32 PM

that’s not a solid foundation for a society to stand on…

max1 on March 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM

True, but neither are cops who attack teenage girls.

Probably, but according to his own testimony, all she did before kicking off her shoe was talk crap to him and the other officers. So, by his own admission, the worst thing she did was throw her shoe at him. Obviously that was wrong, but it doesn’t merit him hitting her in the head while her hands were behind her back.

And since we only have a few pieces, I am not going to jump to conclussions.

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Sorry, I normally agree with you and respect your opinion, but I don’t understand you here. Short of demon possession of the police officer, I can’t come up with a legitimate excuse for him to pound of a 15-year-old girl, no matter what she did before and that includes the unlikely possibility that she had just stabbed his best friend before being brought into that room.

She was no danger to anyone where she was, and he continued beating her after the second officer came to restrain her.

From what I saw this morning on the news, he claims he had to go to the hospital because she threw that shoe at his shin, but since when have shoes that tiny, kicked off and not thrown, been able to do that kind of damage? As the anchors pointed out, that since he did actually go the hospital, it’s far more likely his shin was hurt when he ran into the room and pushed her into the wall, as you can see in the video, his shin hits the metal toilet.

Point being, he was running at her so hard and with such force that he very likely injured his own leg bad enough to warrant a hospital visit. I can think of little else that needs to be known about this guy, and I sincerely do always try to give police the benefit of doubt.

Esthier on March 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM

deesine on March 2, 2009 at 2:07 PM

LMFAO! Umm I am not getting hostile about this… so why are you?

Look, some “kids” in my mind, need a serious case of “you aren’t the boss” inacted upon them. Maybe you can disagree.. but that is your opinion.

But then, I am not jumping on that bandwagon. Have fun!

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Esthier on March 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Well when it comes to some of the stuff said, has it been found that he was saying it under oath or in passing?

Regs usually state you can’t have one officer (male) with a female, unless accompanied. I think there is more to this story. That is all I am saying. I don’t wanna say it was to much force… yet. Because, as I said before.. we do not know the whole story.

There have been some cases where we all agree that some kids needed to get put down. High, strung out, whatever the case. Mostly boys, sometimes female. But, have you ever seen a female officer go after someone? It can be just as nasty as a male officer.

I will wait and see if Ed, show more of this story later.

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 2:53 PM

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Ya, this is me getting hostile…[rolls eyes]

And way to make your point about some teenagers needing “corrective” action on a thread showing police brutalizing a teenager…

deesine on March 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM

deesine on March 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Either grow up and respect someone elses opinion, like I have yours. Or take it to another blog.

I haven’t been rude to you… and I was stating that some parents need to get a grip (i.e. do what the parents can do to correct the action) on their kids.

Good Lord, read between the lines and stop being a half twit about it. I didn’t smack the kid against a wall…. maybe your anger should be at someone else!

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 3:03 PM

and I sincerely do always try to give police the benefit of doubt.

Esthier on March 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Yes you do…

As do I…

But both of us agree this Cop is WRONG!

Mark Garnett on March 2, 2009 at 3:20 PM

I believe this was his testimony, either under oath or just what he wrote in his report after the ordeal.

Here’s what he told his lawyer:

Schene told investigators through an e-mail conversation with his lawyer that once he was assaulted by the girl kicking her shoe at him, he entered the cell to “prevent another assault,” according to court documents. Schene also said that the girl failed to comply with instructions in the holding area.

And I may have been wrong about what he wrote in the report. It seems he may have lied. He claimed that she had a panic attack and didn’t even note that he had to “restrain” her.

I will wait and see if Ed, show more of this story later.

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 2:53 PM

While I appreciate your interesting in know more first, I have to wonder though, what information could possibly put the officer in a good light here? What could the teen have done that would make you think she deserved what she got there?

Esthier on March 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM

There is no justification for a cop commencing a beatdown on a 15 year old girl acting snotty. Compare his reaction to the state trooper in this video:

john bono on March 2, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Esthier on March 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Sometimes people do stupid things. Panic Attacks can make people do things without thinking for sure. Tripping out is another item.

Thanks for the link. But if he did lie… who is he protecting? Himself or the Kid?

And you asked about a teen doing something that would make a cop go off like that. I can think of lots of reasons. But I think the investigation needs to be done before any further comment.

Personally, I was attacked by a kid like that girl. She was being a pest so to speak around her parents and she just snapped. And officer had to be a little rough with her. I don’t fault that officer that had to be rough. I am still not mad at the kid for freaking out (she was a very spoiled child) but I do remember the parents standing there not doing anything, even telling her to stop.

Maybe I have a little more insight on something like this and that is why I am holding back.

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 3:56 PM

I wish I was more surprised that there are 311 HA commenters that think it’s fine to beat the crap out of a child. Psychos.

ronsfi on March 2, 2009 at 4:15 PM

But if he did lie… who is he protecting? Himself or the Kid?

His lie only makes himself look better, because in it, he also claims her throwing the shoe is what caused his injury, even though it’s obvious he hit his shin on the metal toilet.

upinak on March 2, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Like what?

His claim is that throwing the shoe was the attack, and (I believe it’s in the link I provided), he claims he went in there to stop a second such attack, that he went in there and hit her to stop her from hitting him with her second shoe.

But no matter what she did before being put in that holding cell, by the time she got in there, she was no threat to anyone. I’d honestly love to know of a situation where her prior action would warrant this, because I’ve really got nothing.

But both of us agree this Cop is WRONG!

Mark Garnett on March 2, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Yes, unfortunately. I’d much rather be on the side of the cop if possible.

Esthier on March 2, 2009 at 4:18 PM

ronsfi on March 2, 2009 at 4:15 PM

You spoke too soon. 312, though I doubt it’s just Hot Air people. This is also posted at “polldaddy”, and I think you can vote more than once.

Esthier on March 2, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Hi All,

I was a Deputy for 8 years, 4 in the jail. I worked in a metropolitan facility similar to Seattle. I have had just about everything you can imagine thrown at me. This guy had no excuse. She may have been “lippy” but she was cooperative and compliant. She did exactly what was asked. This Deputy has not excuse. He needs to be fired and charged.

Wrlss911Pro on March 2, 2009 at 4:41 PM

How come when scummy juvenile delinquent teens victimize others it’s only news when they victimize other teens?

They get away with a lot because of their age, and they milk it for all it’s worth.

In principle, I’d say I like it when these types of teens get their rears kicked.

However, I think many of these police officers are over-bearing jerks, so coming full circle I don’t really care as it seems to have evened out somehow.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Go to koko news 4 in seattle. They are the ones who got the video released through court order. They have the original video posted on their site along with an interview the kid did on one of the morning shows. It’s almost hard to take the girls side as she and he dad are in full victim mode but the cop did her wrong and they only charged him with 4th degree assault. My guess is grand jury will up it to a felony charge. Their video shows the girl on the way into the cell and the shoe incident from both in an out in the news report. This cop is toast.

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Thank you for watching today’s video of “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire!!”

Because – very soon – she WILL be.

RightWingDuck on March 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM

darktood on March 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

RegularJoe on March 2, 2009 at 1:20 PM

If the young(accidentally left out of previous posting) woman isn’t showing physical signs of having received a real beating, than what we saw was a “shock and awe” operation. Demonstrating the availability of overwhelming force often prevents the need to use any.
She really didn’t seem bright enough to recognize a tazer, and the ability of teenagers to ignore the spoken word is staggering.
If she was truly beaten the cop needs to go to jail. But if she was merely overpowered, it was only a show of force, and the video wouldn’t necessarily show the difference.

darktood on March 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM

darktood on March 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM

I keep going back to the injury to his shin. He claims it was caused by the shoe, but it’s ridiculous to pretend tossing the shoe the way she did (if it even hit him) could do the kind of damage that would send him to the hospital.

What is far more likely is that he hit his shin (as we can see he did) on the metal toilet. For him to have hurt his shin that way, he’d have to have been charging her far more furiously than a mere “shock and awe” show of force would have done.

Esthier on March 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM

If you’re working a desk job, making a minor mistake out of frustration might only get the copier jammed, or accidentally clicking Reply to All with a private email. You wouldn’t get fired for that, but you might get written up by a stern boss.

Cops have to deal with ne’er-do-wells all the time. This is a case of a minor screw-up. It just doesn’t make sense to fire or prosecute a copy for such a minor screw-up. Yes, put a letter of discipline in his folder, but don’t ruin the guy’s life…he won’t be able to save yours.

a minor screw up? THAT IS A 15 YR OLD GIRL. A GIRL. If he wasn’t in uniform he would’ve been arrested for BATTERY.

TruUSA on March 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM

One problem I see in this ongoing debate is the talk about what the kid did. What she did is accused of doing is completely orthogonal to the discussion, whether she’s been arrested on suspicion of murder or spitting on the sidewalk. It has no bearing on whether the cop was right to do what he did.

flipflop on March 2, 2009 at 6:00 PM

One question:

If this cop had done this to that girl on a public street, where other grown men were around, what would have occurred?

Granted, if that were the situation, I have a feeling the cop wouldn’t have dared done it.

MadisonConservative on March 2, 2009 at 6:03 PM

1. The girl and her friend apparently went joy riding in a car that belonged to her friend’s mother. Cops booked her for “auto theft”.

2. She wasn’t the one who reported the officer. One of his fellow officers did.

The girl – who was accused of stealing a car – never filed a formal complaint and to this point isn’t talking.

“We all have troubles, everyone has trouble, but no one deserves that,” McAnich said.

The tape only surfaced after another sheriff’s department detective viewed it and reported it to her superiors. The other deputy did not report the incident – and the sheriff’s department won’t say whether he faces any potential repercussions.

TruUSA on March 2, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I am sorry but i watched enough jail house tapes
all on cnn by the way to know that most of the time
the inmates arent there because they are such
Radiant personalities..

Sorry but this sassy lippy little brat
decided to call the officer out and he came swinging
GOOD i am sorry but she was wrong..
and she got wacked too bad..

If it was my child in there i would have given the policemen a free donut..

And i told my kids this too

YOu screw up you end up in jail you will
meet bubba or a guard and both wont like you one bit..

Too bad..

jcila on March 2, 2009 at 6:36 PM

jcila on March 2, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Gee, I have nothing nice to say, so I’m taking the advise I got as a child.

TruUSA on March 2, 2009 at 6:22 PM

So it was one of the cop’s own co-workers who thought he was out of line? That’s telling.

Esthier on March 2, 2009 at 6:40 PM

jcila on March 2, 2009 at 6:36 PM

A free donut? That’s bribery. What kind of cop would accept a free donut? Well I never!!

kanda on March 2, 2009 at 7:14 PM

“Don’t ever assume you know the whole story from watching a video.
hopefloats on March 2, 2009 at 11:16 A”
****
“They don’t need to know when they can just make crap up.
Blake on March 2, 2009 at 11:27 AM”

It’s really almost impossible “to make crap up”.
You sir, have no first-hand knowledge of the workings in this business, or you wouldn’t have made such a stupid comment. We are trained to deal with these kinds of incidents, and I take issue with your insulting remark. There are multiple people working in the booking area, camera’s are set to every angle, and monitored by a Central Control Officer, inside a room with a locked door, and outside of the booking area. Every incident like this is taped from Central Control and Central Control is where this video came from.
“Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt!”

hopefloats on March 2, 2009 at 8:27 PM

“Get ready for more of this folks. Two cops to subdue a 15 year old girl?”

Another comment by someone who knows nothing about policy and procedure in this business. In a detention facility, there will always be backup in this type of situation. It’s the damn procedure fool. It protects the perp and the officers.

hopefloats on March 2, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Hi all, I’ve been out of the loop the past few days and just logged in and saw the video. In case you haven’t noticed by my name, I am a cop, and I know the stresses police face and the frustrations all officers feel in dealing with these little bundles of joy.
Did she deserve an a$$whipping? Did the officer overreact? Should this princess hit payday? Lots of questions and lots of opinions out here.
I do not condone this and never would, I don’t know what it was that made this officer loose his control but he should know better. There will be an investigation and I’m sure a trial. The girl in this is not totally innocent, and neither is the cop.
We are expected to maintain a higher level of control, we are expected to keep our cool, because if we don’t, we loose the support of the courts and respect from the community. But remember, we are human and we, just like everyone else, do have our limits. The trick for a good officer is to know when he’s reached that limit and let someone know to step in.

ChicagoBlues on March 2, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Either way, none of us know the entire story. The only thing we know is this specifically selected clip, specifically selected to cause everything we see occuring in this thread and the other one about the “Interview”…..

I do know that if you mouth off, have attitude, and/or kick an object at an Officer then you deserve everything you get from the Officer. Even when I am in the wrong and have to deal with an LEO as a result, I am polite and respectful to the LEO.

I’m reserving my judgement until I see all the evidence with the accompanying context. I’m not going to judge on a selected clip of something to make up my mind. I want all the details and the full context.

I still have no sympathy for this girl at all after following up on this one. The officer is on Administrative Leave during the investigation, which I believe has not been completed as yet.

Hick on March 2, 2009 at 11:50 PM

“Don’t ever assume you know the whole story from watching a video.
hopefloats on March 2, 2009 at 11:16 A”
****
“They don’t need to know when they can just make crap up.
Blake on March 2, 2009 at 11:27 AM”

Oh, give it a rest! Your “you” was in reference to people who assume they know the whole story from only watching a video of this type. Your words, not mine.

It’s really almost impossible “to make crap up”.

Then I suggest you read through these threads: There are hundreds of examples of people with little or no knowledge of the facts, making crap up about what did or did not occur in this incident.

hopefloats on March 2, 2009 at 8:27 PM

And you just proved it.

Blake on March 3, 2009 at 7:37 AM

I can’t imagine anything that could have transpired off camera that would have justified that assault.

Sic Puppy on March 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Exit poll: Do you think the girl will ever mouth off to cops again?

zbunde on March 3, 2009 at 1:11 PM