Video: Limbaugh brings down the house at CPAC; Update: Full video added

posted at 8:42 pm on February 28, 2009 by Allahpundit

I’ve been waiting an hour and a half for the complete video to appear somewhere, but Townhall’s feed isn’t working and there are only bits and pieces of the speech up at YouTube. The full transcript’s posted at Rush’s site; I’ll give you the first hour or so of video that’s available now and then update accordingly. Check back periodically.

Haven’t watched yet myself, but his point about certain other people wanting certain other presidents to fail is well taken. Meanwhile, here’s the result of the CPAC straw poll: Romney 20, Jindal 14, Paul 13, Palin 13. I’m shocked that Jindal beat Palin, especially after the atomic bomb he dropped on Tuesday night. And what happened to Huck? Sixth place with just seven percent of the vote after that stemwinder he delivered on Thursday? If anyone’s chances for the nomination smell dead after this, it’s his.

Update: Part seven added.

Update: Part eight added.

Update: Part nine added.

Update: The tenth and final part is hereby added.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 11 12 13

When I came back from RVN I applied for a computer job at the Pentagon. The “requirements” were extremely tailored to someone who was evidently someones buddy. Had all sorts of odd ball requirements that had nothing much, if at all, to do with the job, everything but the guy’s blood type. Now this was done to get some connected person’s buddy the job, rather than to get cheaper out-of-country labor, but same idea.

MB4 on March 1, 2009 at 9:29 PM

coldwarrior on March 1, 2009 at 9:27 PM

His supporters will be insanely mad!

TN Mom on March 1, 2009 at 9:31 PM

I don’t want to intrude on the current discussion with another point, and I don’t want to wade through all of the prior posts to see if this point was made: Did anyone comment on the fact that McCain was conspicuously absent from CPAC this year? Does he only attend conservative events that he sees furthering his career?

onlineanalyst on March 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM

MB4 on March 1, 2009 at 9:29 PM

That still goes on. I was offered a position that I was supposed to write the job description for myself, for a position that really doesn’t exist right now on the airfield. Told them no.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 9:39 PM

onlineanalyst on March 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I dunno, maybe he had a scheduling conflict. Maybe La Raza had something going on.

MB4 on March 1, 2009 at 9:40 PM

you’re railing against rush is unseemly. he is RIGHT on all the issues…he’s the leader of the conservative movement in this country… who would you replace him with? ron paul?? please…

right4life on March 1, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Bad move right4life. And bad attitude when posing a question for me.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 9:40 PM

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Good for you. Not all have that much integrity.

MB4 on March 1, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Bad move right4life. And bad attitude when posing a question for me.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Who the hell do you think you are?

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 9:43 PM

and please, huckabee is an open-borders, big-goverment ‘conservative’ a clone of bush…

right4life on March 1, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Again, with the attitude. When have I done that to you when I’ve disagreed with you? I try to be respectful. And don’t take that as my being afraid of you. I am not.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Of course, now a John Kerry would have had no trouble with doing that as he wrote after action reports for himself for medals for things that really didn’t happen at all. You obviously have no career waiting for you in politics. Looks like you will have to work for a living.

MB4 on March 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Who the hell do you think you are?

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Go away.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Me thinks it is past someones bedtime.

Cheshire Cat on March 1, 2009 at 9:48 PM

I know you’re relatively new but my odds on money is that you’re a Moby.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Hey hawk, saw your interchange with apaclyps. He’s not new around here. He’s been around for a while just disappears and then re-emerges from time to time. He’ll poke his head out call a few people liar, cut a paste half the bible and then fade into obscurity. Had two more guys here with similar MO’s, Redpill and Saint Olaf who got banned (I think). Esthier really loves apacalypse. She could get under his skin like no one else. I used to yank his chain occasionally but I get bored easily so after a while I started ignoring his posts. Thaey are, after all, very tedious and as you pointed out no substance.

Oldnuke on March 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Go away.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Catch your breath, okay, all calmed down?

Look junior, I don’t know what kind of power you think you weld here but you don’t caution regular commenters here like r2b about their attitude and I’m certainly not going anywhere because you say so.

How bout you backtrack my Christian Brother and tell me again where in that lame link you provided Limbaugh lied about anything?

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Stop praying to Huckabee, he is a use car salesman…

Conservative Voice on March 1, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Typical. You overlook the lies of Rush Limbo and entertain your Huck-hating neurosis. Rather pathetic.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Oldnuke on March 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM

He’s got a funny way of talking to fellow Christians, ON.

BTW, I came back and answered a question you left but I didn’t see. Yeah, we still get combat incentive pays and tax exempt while we’re deployed.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM

When I hear people get lathered about Rush wanting Obama to fail, I think of times when I have seen basketball players who get confused and head towards the wrong basket. How many would criticize a team mate for wanting that guy to fail. None of us (especially Rush) want the nation to fail. We just don’t want Obama and his administration to make too many baskets at the wrong end of the court.

Spike72AFA on March 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Site a lie. Besides the link you left earlier. There were no lies in it and it wasn’t even a hit piece on Huck.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Chew on this for a while, apacalyps. Don’t get indigestion now.

They’re creepy and they’re greedy,
Mormon thumping and spooky,
They’re all together sicky,
The Huckabee Family

Their back yard is a dead dog museum
Where people come to see ‘em
They really will a scream
The Huckabee Family

(They’re not Neat)
(They’re not Sweet)
(And they’re sure not Petite!!!)

So get a gift givers shawl on
A collection plate you can bring contributions on
We’re gonna pay a call on
The Huckabee Family

MB4 on March 1, 2009 at 9:55 PM

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM

If you can’t see it, I can’t help you. Honestly people, it’s like debating Democrats here these days.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Corrupt Huck

In Arkansas, Mr. Huckabee was investigated by the state ethics committee at least 14 times. Most of the complaints centered on what appears to be a serial disregard for government rules about gifts and outside financial compensation. He reported $112,000 worth of gifts in one year alone, nearly double his $67,000 salary.

Five of the 14 investigations resulted in admonishments: Two for failing to report gifts (one was later overturned), the other three for some $80,000 that Mr. Huckabee and his wife received but failed to initially report. One of these admonishments involved a $23,500 payment to Mr. Huckabee from an opaque organization called Action America that he helped found in 1994 while lieutenant governor, and that was designed to coordinate his speeches and supplement his income.

Mr. Huckabee caused an uproar when he used a $60,000 account intended to maintain the governor’s mansion for personal expenses, including restaurant meals, dry cleaning and boat supplies. He also faced a lawsuit over his assertion that $70,000 worth of furniture donated to the mansion was his to keep. Sprinkled among all this are complaints about the misuse of state planes and campaign funds, mistakes on financial disclosure forms, and fights over documents related to ethics investigations.

Any one of these episodes individually may appear penny ante, but they add up to a disturbing pattern. People I’ve spoken with who worked with Mr. Huckabee in Arkansas dispute the idea that he is “corrupt.” They instead ascribe his ethical mishaps to a “blind spot” rooted in his beginnings as a Baptist minister and a Southern culture of gift-giving; they suggest he never made the mental transition to public office.

Some will also argue Mr. Huckabee is no more ethically challenged than Mr. Giuliani, who is getting pounded with questions about Judith Nathan’s security detail and Giuliani Partner clients. The difference is that Hizzoner is a celebrity whose past bones were long ago picked clean by the media crows. Even the Nathan flap is an extension of news that made the rounds five years ago.

The obscure governor from Arkansas is, in contrast, a deep sea for media diving. Most recent have been stories about his pardons and commutations, as well as the news that R.J. Reynolds contributed to Action America. Mr. Huckabee–who now wants a national smoking ban in public places–responded that he never knew he accepted tobacco money, which has inspired a former adviser to claim Mr. Huckabee is being “less than truthful.” What’s next?
- Kimberley A. Strassel

MB4 on March 1, 2009 at 9:59 PM

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Because there’s nothing in the entire four minutes of audio that is a lie or even a condemnation of Huck. Did “you” even listen to it?

He talks about his faith and how the media will attack it and how the media would use it to tie him to President Bush. God man, have a clue if you intend on insulting everyone intelligence every other comment.

Site what he said on that audio that was a lie. Or God even a Huck critique. It’s not there.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 10:01 PM

As far as your intentions here, I really question the sincerity (or the intelligence) of a commenter who claims to be a Conservative and manages to piss off every thoughtful Conservative here.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 8:12 PM

That is, perhaps, one of the nicest things anybody has ever said about me here. Thank you, hawkdriver. Truth is, most of the posters here are faux-cons and many are anti-God. If nobody’s irritated at you you’re not a good Christian.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 10:06 PM

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Yeah, I caught that post too, thanks. I thought you did, but the way the gubbmint works these day I wouldn’t put it past them to close that “Loophole”. Military pay has always been a sore spot with me.

You have no idea about apacalyps, but it appears that you’re rapidly coming up to speed on him. To him you are, most likely, not a fellow Christian. He has some different ideas about that.

Oldnuke on March 1, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Huckabee heaped criticism upon immigration legislation in the Arkansas Legislature, describing it as “inflammatory . . . race-baiting and demagoguery.” He also challenged the Christian values of its main sponsor.
Huckabee said the bill, seeking to forbid public assistance and voting rights to undocumented immigrants, “inflames those who are racist and bigots and makes them think there’s a real problem. But there’s not.”

The bill is modeled after Proposition 200, approved by Arizona voters in November. The Arkansas measure was filed by Republican Sens. Jim Holt of Springdale and Denny Altes of Fort Smith.

Huckabee, also a Republican and a Baptist minister, said Arkansans should be welcoming hard-working immigrants of all races. He singled out Holt, who often talks of his strong Christian beliefs, saying, “I drink a different kind of Jesus juice. My faith says don’t make false accusations against somebody.

“In the Bible, it’s called don’t bear false witness.”

In response, Holt said he was hurt by the governor’s questioning his faith.

“I just want to uphold the law and protect the benefits that apply to citizens,” Holt said.

Which one sounds like a lunatic and which one sounds like a logical thinker? If you want to go around doing the Christian good and ignoring the law go become a monk or priest and leave the enforcing of laws to those who want to do it. I can’t believe that a Governor, someone who is looked upon as a person who is wanting the law to be upheld, could stoop to a personal attack on someone who is suggesting what the majority of the public wants.i>
More from Arkansas News – Gov. Mike Huckabee Thursday denounced a bill by Sen. Jim Holt that would deny state benefits to illegal immigrants as un-Christian, un-American, irresponsible and anti-life.
Holt, R-Springdale, replied later that Christian charity does not include turning a blind eye to lawbreaking.

Senate Bill 206, filed Wednesday, also would require proof of citizenzhip to register to vote and would require state agencies to report suspected cases of people living in the country illegally.

Holt replied, “I think the politically correct movement has misconstrued what compassion really means. They think compassion means that any person can disrespect our laws and that we’re supposed to be tolerant and let them get away with it.

“True compassion is correcting them so in the future they can be law-abiding citizens,” Holt said.

Amen to Jim Holt. Joe McCutchen, Chairman of Protect Arknsas NOW, a newly formed group supporting the bill had this to say.
“They broke the law,” he said. “My angst is not with them, though. My angst is with the state and federal government for not enforcing our laws.”
People living illegally in the United State has “overwhelmed our school and welfare system,” McCutchen said. As for whether the bill reflects un-Christian attitudes, McCutchen said: “Jim Holt is as good a man and as good a Christian as any man walking this Earth.”

“Doggone it, the rule of law is not being upheld, and that’s wrong,” McCutchen said.
- Multiple sources

MB4 on March 1, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Ronnie, I’m stealing your “After-Drool Special” line for future use at Scrappleface.

onlineanalyst on March 1, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Huckabee is a creepy cretin. I am hoping and praying FNC will fire him soon.

OmahaConservative on March 1, 2009 at 10:13 PM

“Limbaugh remarked on Jan. 16 that to the degree that Obama’s program is one of state socialism, he hopes it will fail. (If only he had said the same about George W. Bush.) The president riposted at a session with congressional leaders a week later, telling them, “You can’t just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done.” Outsiders weighed in: Limbaugh should not have wished failure on a president trying to cope with a national crisis; Obama should not have stooped to insult a mere media artiste, the kind of task traditionally delegated to presidential subordinates while the chief stands loftily mute. Citizens picked sides and sat back to enjoy the circus.”

The magazine was handed out at CPAC.

getalife on March 1, 2009 at 10:28 PM

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 10:01 PM

I’ve had many debates and I can already tell the type of debater you are. I can usually tell pretty quick. I know your kind. You ignore the truth and deliberately make up another story. You want me to listen to the audio!? Give your head a shake, buds. Who posted it? I did ! I’ve listened to it several times. More than you have. Rush put out the idea that the liberal media, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN and the whole alphabet soup of bolshevik media was helping Governor Huckabee win the Republican nomination. He said they were trying their best to help Huckabee by influencing a high vote for him in the Republican primaries because what they really didn’t want was Romney, or Rudy, or Thompson, to win. THAT IS A LIE. The liberal media was not helping Mike.

Site what he said on that audio that was a lie.

Read above.

Or God even a Huck critique. It’s not there.

Put your glasses on or get glasses. Lying about another person is never a critique?? And I guess you missed the smear by the anonymous (which means, “not verified” and/or “made up”) “source” from the Huckabee campaign who Limbo said criticized him, and he doesn’t name the culprit. Rush blamed it on Mike instead. What a snake. What if I said something derogatory about you and said it was from an anonymous source? You think that’s fair?

BTW I followed your link and I certainly didn’t see you demonstrate that Limbaugh ever lied about anything.

Try this other smear of Huckabee by Rush at the bottom.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 10:29 PM

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Yeah it’s pretty easy to see what kind of commenter you are also. I’m not going to sit around and try to prove a negative for you trying to find a lie that doesn’t exist.

I’ll just let you know that if you were the type of message that was coming from my chapel, I’d find another one to go to. And it’s not your message. I believe in most of the things you do as a fellow Christian. It’s your obnoxious delivery. I find Professor Ham more compelling in his arguments than Kent Hovind. I suppose that would make me misguided in your book huh?

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I wouldn’t say that I am a big Rush fan in that I have only listened to him on a few occasions. But when I do hear him, I can see why some people call him a gifted communicator, while others call him arrogant. He’s kinda like Dan Marino was; very good, very confident (bordering on arrogant), and yet, very entertaining and likeable.

With that said, let’s remember that Rush’s job is to provoke discussion. And he has done that with his strong statements about Obama failing.

And, to some degree, I agree with Rush; I do hope that his agenda fails. If he succeeds, he will revoluntionize American government. For instance, he wants to eliminate private loans for college education. This means that the government will determine who gets the college loans for school. If you are a white male whose parents are not affluent, that should scare you. And there are many other instances where the government will decide a person’s fate; and that should scare everyone. American has always been about letting individuals controlling thier destinies. But now, individuals will have to bow to the government to get ahead. If that succeeds (i.e. if Obama suceeds), America will lose a key aspect of its greatness. So, when Rush says that he wants Obama to fail, I cannot say that I disagree.

And I am not someone who rooted against Bill Clinton. I didn’t hope for Clinton to fail because he had to deal wtih a Republican Congress and he was a pro-business Democrat. For him to be sucessful, he would not have completely revolutionalized the country. But Obama has such an open hand with the Democrats controlling both houses of Congress.

And one last thing: this is politics. You have to fight. When Bush was President, the Democrats fought him at every stage. Republicans have to fight Obama at every turn when he is wrong.

RedSoxNation on March 1, 2009 at 10:42 PM

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 10:06 PM

With all due respect for your obvious passion on this topic, is it really in conservatives’ interest to devote their intellectual energies to establishing whether Rush Limbaugh was unkind to Mike Huckabee? In the face of the storm gathering in our immediate future, this seems a little bit like ignoring the iceberg off the port bow so you can swerve the Titanic to avoid hitting a baby seal. You’re training an awful lot of fire on hawkdriver while the real enemy rolls an armored column right past you.

I don’t know what the future holds for the Republican Party, but I’m pretty sure it isn’t going to be Huckabee. There’s just too much baggage there, and while much of it may well be unfair, the collected weight of it just seems like too much. Huckabee’s got a national media platform, and several years, to prove that prognosis incorrect. Meanwhile, the last thing conservatives as a group can afford is to engage in vicious tribal conflicts to settle old scores. There’s no denying the influence of Rush Limbaugh’s golden microphone, and no denying that it was not given to him – he earned it. Mike Huckabee’s got everything he needs to take a shot at taking that microphone away from him. If we are free marketeers, should we not apply that belief in competition and excellence to the arena of ideas?

For myself, I find it a little difficult to square some of Huckabee’s past positions with the traditionally understood priorities of conservatism, or the tasks that lie ahead of it as it tries to help the country recover from Obama. If I’m wrong in that assessment, I’m happy to hear reasoned arguments to the contrary. Climbing into a steel cage and challenging all the “faux conservatives” to go ten rounds with you is not terribly persuasive. Why not cut yourself a slice of Hot Air’s bandwidth and make Mr. Huckabee’s case in a manner that would do him proud?

Doctor Zero on March 1, 2009 at 10:45 PM

He said Southern Christian Leadership Council not “Southern Christians”.
woodman on March 1, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Aww. It’s not fair to confuse Apacalypse with facts.

Buy Danish on March 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Actaully it’s Southern Christian Leadership Conference–and old and (in)famous organization. MLK was SCLC’s first president, back when it made a positive difference. And, yes, Alpaca Lips needs to get out more.

baldilocks on March 1, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Got your shot in hey Baldi? Good girl. You’ve been waiting a long time haven’t you? As long as I can make you happy. Sorry. I can’t say that it hurt me. I’m a little sad for you though.

Anyways, it is unfortunate some of you do not see the “guilt by association” factor here. That is, the attribution of guilt (without proof) to all Southern Christians because the people they associate with are guilty. As I posted previously, Rush makes Southern Christians look bad by the very mention of them in his critique of Dr.Charles Steele Jr who apparently made a racist comment (And I don’t know if he did. Nobody has produced the quote!). Where is this quote anyways? What is the exact quote?

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Keep radio contact soldiers. Move forward. Man, this is unbelievable… it’s worse than Liberalism.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 10:54 PM

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 10:49 PM

You’re why they hate us. Thanks!

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Re-read my first post in this thread. My critique of Rush was on something else. I think he is a paid liar. Somebody else brought up Huck in this thread – not me. My attacks on these faux-cons is purely retaliatory in nature. That said, Rush lying about Huck does seem relevant as far as it shows a trend of deceipt by Limbo.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 11:01 PM

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 11:01 PM

And what are the defining characteristics of the “faux” con? As opposed to the real conservatives? I gather Rush Limbaugh is a faux con as well. Which mistaken left turns have these faux cons taken? Which parts of their agenda are detrimental to true conservatism, and do they cost less than a trillion dollars?

Doctor Zero on March 1, 2009 at 11:05 PM

You’re why they hate us. Thanks!

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Who are they? The world? Pfft. Like the cowardly lion who desperately needs courage. You need courage.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 11:10 PM

You have no idea about apacalyps,

Oldnuke on March 1, 2009 at 10:07 PM

The apostle Paul wrote about what it means to be a follower of Christ, he spoke of it in terms of becoming a soldier. Called into leading a battle. Anytime you wanna join our army to change the world Oldnuke, we’ll have you. You’re always welcome.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM

The immigration issue is tied up with the welfare state issue, and with education in the USA.

Our problem starts because American kids are forced through a crappy socialist education system that makes them graduate and want to study fields like psychology and political science and marketing, instead of engineering, medicine, or science.

In the old days, we’d just open the borders, because the only immigrants we’d get would be the tough, smart, hard-working ones. The losers wouldn’t come because they knew they could freeze or starve or be killed by Indians. America was not a guaranteed fortune.

Nowadays we have a welfare state, which means the kind of people who want to come here are the losers and the freeloaders, not the people we used to attract. So we have to close the borders, which many see as anti-American. Unfortunately, due to the socialized education system, we have fewer and fewer skilled people (and way, way too many psychology majors) so we need a combination of outsourcing and H1B visas to fill the jobs.

It’s a nightmare. It would all be solved if we just let the poor starve, though.

joe_doufu on March 1, 2009 at 11:38 PM

hawkdriver on March 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM

“Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?” Galatians 4:16

I’m not here to make friends. I’m here to tell the truth. And I get visciously attacked for it by dozens of people. You think I do this for fun? I don’t even know any of these people and I am concerned where they are going to spend their eternal lives. I don’t want them to go to hell. Really, I think you need to ask yourself why I offend you so much and those who are lying and deceiving these voters don’t.

Not at all. Ken Ham is awesome and is doing a great work for the Lord. He is one of my favourite creationists.

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Doctor Zero on March 1, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Reasonable comments. It’d sure be nice though if you’d turn that around and address the faux-cons as opposed to me though. Ever notice that? Usually, the challenge to “improve” goes to the folks trying to defend Huck, not the one’s bashing him or me with the hateful attacks. Just a thought.

apacalyps on March 2, 2009 at 12:01 AM

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Serious case of “mouse in pocket” syndrome.

Guardian on March 2, 2009 at 12:10 AM

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 10:49 PM

This is the quote and it’s in the transcript that is linked to in the post.

It was not us asking whether Barack Obama was authentic. What we were asking is: Is he wrong? We concluded, yes. We still think so. But we didn’t ask if he was authentically black. We didn’t say, as some Southern Christian Leadership Conference leaders said: Barack is not authentic, he’s not got any slave blood. He’s really not down for the struggle, but his wife is. So don’t expect the race industry to go away. Southern Christian Leadership Conference — you may not know this, because it wasn’t reported in the Drive-By Media — the racism, the sexism, the bigotry that we’re all charged with, just so you across the United States of America know, and you’ll see demonstrated here as the afternoon goes on, doesn’t exist on our side. We want everybody to succeed. [Applause]

Rush said Southern Christian Leadership Conference twice. Baldi told you who the group is.

Rush didn’t say Southern Christians and stop. He named the group. He did not defame Southern Christians.

INC on March 2, 2009 at 12:15 AM

apacalyps on March 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM

I’d also like to remind you that in that same chapter in 2 Timothy which you linked to in the comment above, Paul told Timothy:

And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient

INC on March 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM

The NASB translates it this way:

The Lord’s bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged,

INC on March 2, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Also, the context of the quote about being a soldier is not discussing leading into battle. Paul says to endure hardship and don’t get entangled in the affairs of the world. He is speaking about perseverance and priorities.

INC on March 2, 2009 at 12:27 AM

And in 1 Peter 3, Peter writes:

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

The NASB translates it:

but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;

It’s one thing if people are offended because they take offense to Christ and the gospel. It’s entirely something else if people are offended because we as Christians are pugnacious or obnoxious.

INC on March 2, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Asian markets crashing

Nikkei 225 down 4.26%

Looks like it will be a bad day in Bedrock tomorrow. Maybe Obama can send Turbo-Tax Giethner or Foot-in-Mouth Biden out in the morning to pump up for a rally.

MB4 on March 2, 2009 at 12:31 AM

MB4 on March 1, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Thanks for posting some of the truth about Huckabee, MB4. I am continually amazed that he seems to have support among people posting at Hot Air (and AP appears to have a real affection for him, too ;o)). It’s mystifying really. I can only assume that those who support him don’t live in Arkansas, because if they did, they’d know the man is conservative in name only. His big plan to reform the IRC is nothing but platitudes. He raised taxes over 100 times while he was governor; we had to elect a Democrat to get our taxes REDUCED! This includes a hotly debated tax on groceries, something that you might think a “good Christian” like Huck would consider to be anti-Christian, anti-life, etc. considering the people hurt the most by it are those least able to afford it. Let’s also not forget that he commuted the sentences of several career criminals, at least one of whom promptly traveled up to Missouri and raped and killed a woman. Then there’s his penchant for abridging personal liberties, as when he pushed a measure through the legislature here to force schools to measure the BMI of all students and report the results back to their parents. I’m sorry, but when did it become the purview of schools to meddle in lifestyle choices? He also led the charge to remove all vending machines from public schools. This is all because he lost weight after taking up running when he was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. He then decided it was his obligation to force his own lifestyle choices on the rest of us. Don’t get me wrong: I think striving to become healthier Arkansans is good for all of us. But this is not the way to go about it.

Huckabee also presided over an embarrassingly f-ed up attempt at reforming public education in the state, precipitated by a Supreme Court decision that deemed the state’s education funding to be at odds with 14th Amendment. Disastrous doesn’t even begin to describe this clusterfark. It’s far too complex and convoluted to go into here, but there are countless news stories on the matter, for anyone who actually cares enough to research Huck’s record before they start singing his praises. Here’s one anecdote, however: The state hired — with taxpayer dollars of course — a consulting firm to make recommendations as to how they might make schools more “equitable.” One such recommendation for a school in our area was to install an elevator. You are wondering what this has to do with actually educating children — the answer: nothing — but what will really have you gobsmacked is learning that this school only has one floor. Million upon millions of dollars later and we still haven’t resolved the problem satisfactorily, and in fact in many ways have made it worse, by consolidating school districts, etc.

It seems like a lot of people who support Huckabee do so for the simple reason that he was once a preacher and is very “in your face” about his faith. To me, this makes him no more qualified to be president than Obama’s oratory skills qualify him. We don’t need a poet in the White House, and we don’t need a preacher either. We need a LEADER. I couldn’t care less whether someone is a Christian social con. I want someone who LIVES those principles, not someone who tries to impose them on others. Someone like Sarah Palin or Bobby Jindal — this is the REAL future of the Republican Party. Huckabee is nothing more than a Bill Clinton wanna-be, and a pretty poor one at that.

NoLeftTurn on March 2, 2009 at 12:33 AM

NoLeftTurn on March 2, 2009 at 12:33 AM

I’m glad I could toss you the ball as it looks like you scored a touchdown or three.

MB4 on March 2, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Why nothing on Geert Wilder at CPAC?

Elric66 on March 2, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Why nothing on Geert Wilder at CPAC?

Elric66 on March 2, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Charles Johnson might see it and no one in charge here wants to push him completely over the ledge?

MB4 on March 2, 2009 at 2:22 AM

Why nothing on Geert Wilder at CPAC?

Elric66 on March 2, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, our enemies should know: we will never apologize for being free men, we will never give in. We will never surrender. There is no stronger power than the force of free men fighting for the great cause of liberty. Because freedom is the birthright of all man. Freedom must prevail, and freedom will prevail. Thank you very much.

MB4 on March 2, 2009 at 2:42 AM

I have never understood why Limbaugh creates such visceral hatred amongst liberals.

MarkTheGreat on March 2, 2009 at 8:48 AM

MarkTheGreat on March 2, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Ever see a cornered rat react? Same effect.

Fletch54 on March 2, 2009 at 9:48 AM

MarkTheGreat on March 2, 2009 at 8:48 AM

I understand why liberals hate him. I once had that same hatred. Answer: ignorance and prejudism. I didn’t know what conservatism was and only based my understanding of it based upon my preconceptions. I assumed he was a bad guy and thus refused to listen to him and only heard what I expected him to say.

Unlike conservatism, liberalism isn’t founded in a set of principles but rather founded on the very absense of them. It rebels against the very thought that there is anything that we can label as truth.

shick on March 2, 2009 at 10:10 AM

I’ve always known in my heart that liberals felt this way.

At least he’s honest.

hawkdriver on March 2, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Hey AP, How about a thread from this article?

Lets get our lib trolls on record!

hawkdriver on March 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I watched Rush at CPAC and thought it was awesome. I am not a big Rush fan, but he truly hit the nail on the head with this speech. Mitt Romney is my choice and always was!

txstar on March 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM

For whoever it was that wondered why McCain wasn’t at CPAC, I think he has a cold. Saw him on TV (can’t remember what show, but he sounded all nasally and underneath his nose was all red.

fullogas on March 2, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I have a non-sexual man-crush on Rush. He is a proud, loud, real Conservative. He makes no excuses for his love of America. He makes no excuses for core principals. He is NOT perfect, he has personal demons, most of us do… But his love of the things that have made America great, his love of Country and the US Military makes him a favorite of mine.

Mark Garnett on March 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM

fullogas on March 2, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Yeah, He has a really bad RINOvirus. One that permits him to go on some show, but not go the the Conservative convention.

LegendHasIt on March 2, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Anyone who objects to Rush’s inflammatory style is, frankly, an idiot.

It is his trademark.

Only a small percentage of fools actually buy into it and call the station wanting to tell him how great he is and how they agree.

They are jokes.

However, he does actually slip in legitimate criticism that hits the mark and keeps his true listener numbers high.

I’d be willing to bet that 90% of his listeners wouldn’t be caught DEAD being one of the nitwits who call in.

However, we listen because he often does share a legitimate and persuasive perspective.

Not on his usual junk.

AnninCA on March 2, 2009 at 2:24 PM

AnninCA on March 2, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Another expert non-listener.

hawkdriver on March 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM

INC on March 2, 2009 at 12:15 AM

As I said, guilt by association. Sort of like if somebody from hotair said something racist and Rush reported “hotair” said something racist. Look, I’m not here to support the Southern Christian Leadership Conference or their leaders, okay. There are many decent Bible-believing Christians from the south, that’s all, and Limbo should have said specifically that Dr.Charles Steele Jr made these so-called racists comments. And once again, where is the quote Rush is talking about? Show me the “unreported” quote by Dr.Charles Steele Jr? Can we determine ourselves if they are racist comments and not take Rush’s word for it? Anyways, I’ve said about all I wanna say on this for now. Thank you.

apacalyps on March 2, 2009 at 2:47 PM

INC on March 2, 2009 at 12:27 AM

That is only partly true, Miss, or Mrs. INC.

“Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.” 2 Timothy 2:3

“Endure hardness” is another way of saying “suffer trouble” and “endure afflictions” (2 Timothy 4:5). A fruitful Christian life is inevitably accompanied by much opposition from the world, the flesh, the devil, and Paul wanted to encourage young Timothy to stand strong, as he himself had done for so long. The Christian is often compared in Scripture to a soldier, engaged in spiritual warfare with the hosts of darkness (2 Cornithians 10:3-5; Ephesians 6:10-18; 1 Thessalonians 5:8).

Thank you.

apacalyps on March 2, 2009 at 3:04 PM

apacalyps on March 2, 2009 at 2:47 PM

You cannot convince me that you’ve ever actually listened to him. He talks about Christians as if they were the salt of the Earth. Better than you speak of them.

hawkdriver on March 2, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Rush took Michael Steele to the woodshed today, and it was powerful. We’ll be hearing more about that, and good for him.

silvernana on March 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Rush knocked it out of the park. He said the things that we are no longer allowed to say. He said them forcefully and with passion.

Steele said that the people at the convention looked like Nazis and that Rush was “ugly.” Steele is the chairman of the RNC.

The Republican Party is dead, dead, dead. We don’t have twenty years for it to rebuild its conservative credentials. Time to think outside the box.

@NoLeftTurn – I’m an Arkie too and you’re dead right about Huckabee. Totally inept. That’s why the Arkansas Supreme Court was able to pass off their de facto legislation in Lakeview as a judicial decision.

Venusian Visitor on March 2, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Yea, Ok. Still waiting for the Limbaugh Lie you told us you knew about….Waiting….Waiting….still W A I T I N G.

GunRunner on March 2, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I watched the speech and for the first time in many years i found myself saying yea thats right and
thinking how come NONE of the conservatives and Absolutly NONE of the liberals ever say these kind of things..

I am not talking about someone swooning to the music of obamamainia or liberalism or even GAD Reaganism..

No i am talking about an average american with a brain who still loves this country listen and agreeing with him..

Now i dont agree with rush on everything (especially capitolism) as i believe in responsible capitolism.,.,

Not this disgusting GREED is great and scew everone in the world wall street types..

But a lot of what he had to say was 100% valid..

So yes i was happy to hear him speak..

Hell he sounded ohhh almost
Presidential…

Something the current president doesnt have a clue about..

jcila on March 2, 2009 at 7:24 PM

That speech was the best I’ve heard from a conservative since Reagan. Rush wields more power and influence through his talents which are not running for office (he would be minimized and limitized there and he knows it)

Good News: I’ve been talking to my conservative, professional friends, and they are beginning to organize around my home town area. they are dividing their efforts to concentrate on specific problems and the best solutions. Intellectuals, Lawyers, Doctors, and business owners are risking their lives for this. It started with me sending out Alinsky and Cloward-Piven months ago to people, and it has now gained momentum :-) God Bless them all and all of yall.

Watching_Cloward-Piven on March 2, 2009 at 9:49 PM

If it wasn’t clear to anyone before this CPAC speech, then is should be absolutely evident now, that Obama would lose a debate with Rush.

I’m not certain how anyone can describe his it as “Limbaugh’s angry, sinister speech,” or say that it “crossed a line.” The man seems to have called it like it is; and spoken what needed to heard… some hard truths.

He’s got more integrity that all the politicians in DC!

Mick Psyphon on March 2, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Ironically, the man with the most listeners on daily AM radio (20m)is being disoovered and re-discovered by Americans who had misconceptions of Rush or ‘fell out of love’ with Rush beacuse of the ’7 year itch’.

For fans of Rush I think it will make us appreciate Rush even more. At times dittoheads even take Rush for granted and do not realize how great an American Rush is and that he may be one of the top 10 Americans of the last half of the 20th century.

For 20 years Rush has inspired us and we thought maybe his best days were behind him. Perhaps we were wrong; they may lie ahead of him.

technopeasant on March 3, 2009 at 1:35 AM