Video: Ron Paul knocks paper money, Afghanistan surge at CPAC

posted at 8:19 pm on February 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

Skip ahead to 13:35 for the start of the foreign-policy passage — a few minutes in, he recycles the bogus Lancet statistic of a million Iraqi deaths from the war — or to 16:20 for a history lesson that culminates with Afghanistan and begins with the claim that our entry into World War I somehow led to hundreds of millions of deaths in the 20th century. This, of course, is why the left appreciates him even though his economic philosophy’s anathema: There’s no violence anywhere in the world that he can’t blame on American policy. As long as we have troops stationed abroad and favor some nations over others, we’re guilty of original sin; he’s that fanatic an isolationist. Except, that is, when his political future’s on the line, as it was after 9/11 when the country supported Bush’s invasion of Afghanistan overwhelmingly and Paul quietly went along. Didn’t he “know anything about history”?

Watching this, I thought of Limbaugh’s point about wanting The One to fail. Rush assumes, at least tacitly, that Obama’s loss will be mainstream Republicans’ gain. I’m not so sure. The more desperate things get economically, the more appeal Paul’s paleocon message will have and the more legitimized isolationism will become by extension. Be careful what you wish for.

Video clips at Ustream

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

For starters, there are NO democratic procedures, in any meaningful sense, in place in the EU today.

Charles Martel on February 28, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Charles, that’s an exaggeration. There are democratic procedures in the EU, and within the member states. I’ll grant you the ones governing the EU are not exactly what I would call “robust”, but they certainly surpass the democratic procedures some fools on this board are touting in Iraq or Afghanistan.

But it’s not so much the procedures I’m referring to; rather, it is the exposure to a philosophical history critical to what we would call “liberal democracy”. Most of the citizenry of Europe have had exposure to the ideals put forth by Locke, Rousseau, Mill, Machiavelli, and all the other thinkers that form an intellectual continuum from the Renaissance to the Enlightenment. It is those ideals, much more so than political procedures that would prevent the nihilism of Wahabbi Islam from taking hold on a national or supernational level.

I’ll grant you, political correctness, lax immigration policies, multiculturalism and other forces are allowing Islam to gain ground over Christendom, at least in Europe. And, with the caveat that Islam is not in and of itself bad, I’ll also grant you that this is probably not a healthy development for Europe.

But there is a wide gulf between saying Islam will wield political influence in Europe, and Wahabbi death cultists for whom threat of annihilation means nothing will get ahold of a nuclear arsenal. The former is going to happen, and Europe will have nobody to blame but themselves. The latter is simply improbable to a high degree.

JohnGalt23 on March 1, 2009 at 3:04 AM

youngTXcon on February 27, 2009 at 11:09 PM

The free market is self regulating.

Libertarian Joseph on March 1, 2009 at 10:45 AM

“JohnGalt23 on February 28, 2009 at 12:02 AM”

read the post moron, you called me “ignorant”

/bong need a refill?

Buckaroo on February 28, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Well, you are.

Libertarian Joseph on March 1, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Why is this Jew-hating pr-ck allowed an audience at the CPAC? Shame on CPAC.

Andy in Agoura Hills on March 1, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Why is this Jew-hating pr-ck allowed an audience at the CPAC? Shame on CPAC.

Andy in Agoura Hills on March 1, 2009 at 12:33 PM

What does CPAC have to do with pushing Israel’s national security?

Libertarian Joseph on March 1, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I’m not for total isolationism, but I definitely am for Ron Paul’s economics. Austrian economics is the ONLY way to go to create unfettered wealth in this country. There will still be poor, but they will be richer than they were.

Tim Burton on March 1, 2009 at 1:34 PM

What does CPAC have to do with pushing Israel’s national security?

Libertarian Joseph on March 1, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Did I mention Israel? But thanks for proving my point, Jew-hating pr-ck.

Andy in Agoura Hills on March 1, 2009 at 8:00 PM

The free market is self regulating.

Libertarian Joseph on March 1, 2009 at 10:45 AM

The free market is self regulating to the extent it punishes bad behavior, and that is the only preventative measure it contains. Lets say I want to fly somewhere and there are no regulations other than free market forces and I have chosen a “bad” airline. My plane goes down due to no maintenance. The market will indeed punish the airline thanks to the bad press and lawsuits, however I will still be dead. While if there was a system of regulations, even imperfect ones, governing required minimum maintenance then I might be alive.

DFCtomm on March 1, 2009 at 8:32 PM

That’s not JohnGalt saying it… it’s GWB.

Once again, even Bilx states that some WMD was found in Iraq.
THAT IS A FACT!
Try using them and you won’t come off as more of an idiot than you already do.

The fact that you can not handle facts and have to create your own bubble where reality does not get in the way of your rhetoric shows your true ignorance on the issues and the simpleton ways in which you address them.

I have no time for cowardly children, as I’ve spent too much time on you already.

JohnGalt23 on March 1, 2009 at 2:44 AM

Liberal speak for “I can’t back up my bullsh!t drivel”.

After reading your post,”wasting time” is apparently your only strong suit.

Your faux superior attitude shows you to be nothing but a little kid jumping up in the middle of the room with his hands over his ears yelling “I am right!!!! I am right!!!

How ironic that someone who states that “9/11 was not a threat to our National Security” thinks he is in a position
to judge competency.

The fact that countries around the world are spending trillions of dollars,thousands of man hours,and major policy decisions to defeat the ” Islamo-terrorists under every bed you cawer (the word is cower genius)in”

shows just how much of an imbecile you are in addressing this issue.

What a joke.

Baxter Greene on March 2, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Andy in Agoura Hills on March 1, 2009 at 8:00 PM

And you’re a moron. Why don’t you start the AIPAC party? Seems to be all you care about.

DFCtomm on March 1, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Then, don’t fly. Planes are still going down, even though it’s a heavily regulated industry. Government does nothing right. Under a free market, there would be more competition, more innovation, private safety standards, and cheaper flights

Libertarian Joseph on March 2, 2009 at 10:22 AM