The obligatory “nutroots tries to smear Jindal over Katrina” post

posted at 5:20 pm on February 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

This is so moronic that I wouldn’t even acknowledge it if not for the fact that I’m strapped for content. In a nutshell: Eager to prove that every last conservative in America is guilty of something vis-a-vis Katrina, TPM zeroed in on a passage from Jindal’s rebuttal speech about a visit he made to the local sheriff in the aftermath. Quote:

During Katrina, I visited Sheriff Harry Lee, a Democrat and a good friend of mine. When I walked into his makeshift office I’d never seen him so angry. He was yelling into the phone: ‘Well, I’m the Sheriff and if you don’t like it you can come and arrest me!’ I asked him: ‘Sheriff, what’s got you so mad?’ He told me that he had put out a call for volunteers to come with their boats to rescue people who were trapped on their rooftops by the floodwaters. The boats were all lined up ready to go – when some bureaucrat showed up and told them they couldn’t go out on the water unless they had proof of insurance and registration. I told him, ‘Sheriff, that’s ridiculous.’ And before I knew it, he was yelling into the phone: ‘Congressman Jindal is here, and he says you can come and arrest him too!’ Harry just told the boaters to ignore the bureaucrats and start rescuing people.

Aha!, says TPM, digging through the news archives. The visit to Sheriff Lee didn’t occur “during Katrina” at all; it occurred, er, a few days later, which certainly isn’t “during.” And what’s more, there’s no evidence that Jindal used his congressional authority to help get those boats in the water, as the speech suggests (but doesn’t assert). Lee did it all by himself.

Which brings us to this. Direct from Jindal’s office, it’s archive video of none other than Sheriff Harry Lee (who passed away two years ago) endorsing Jindal for governor. Why? Because he was so helpful and hands-on in using his congressional authority to assist the recovery effort after Katrina, which included … a personal visit to Lee’s office “the day after” the storm. Nuance. I’ll let Jim Treacher take it from there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

In my opinion we have two issues to take away from this story, first the media is afraid of Jindal as they were/are of Palin so they will be looking for any chance to attack him as evidenced here. Secondly, the whole Katrina thing show how many Americans have grown way way to dependent on the Federal government for help.

I was living in San Francisco during the 1989 Loma Preita earthquake, and it was the City’s government and our neighbors that got us through the two and half months of no electric/water/gas. Sure the Army came in because we had a base down the street but really all they did was deliver water occasionally. We received water, heaters, blankets, etc from private corp. such as CocaCola, Pepsi, Pacfic Gas and Electric, Streamlight and others. My point is we shouldn’t rely on the Federal government. If you live behind a set of levies that are known to be substandard, take some responsibility yourself and have the necessary supplies to be prepared to help yourself as we did those many years ago.

JeffVader on March 1, 2009 at 12:07 AM

I haven’t been to Covington since I left a consulting gig a while back. I don’t think I’ve been to The Tap Room but may have stumbled in there during my single days.

Lay-Z on February 28, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Sorry to see you go.

And I usually see people stumbling out.

I go there strictly for the food & entertainment.
hehe

soundingboard on March 1, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Sorry to see you go

Oh, I never lived in Covington, I commuted from Baton Rouge for that bank for a while and later from NOLA for a client that was headquartered there. My family has roots in St Tammany Parish though.

Lay-Z on March 1, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Lay-Z on March 1, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Commuted from NOLA to Covington?

Musta been nice having one side of the Causeway to yourself twice a day. lol

soundingboard on March 1, 2009 at 2:03 AM

Lay-Z on March 1, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Oh, BTW…nice blog.

Independence?

lolol

I bet we have common acquaintances.

soundingboard on March 1, 2009 at 2:22 AM

“during Katrina”

I would have thought no one would have been “out N about” cuz there was the Hurricane!

DSchoen on March 1, 2009 at 7:01 AM

stardust_dud on February 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM

OMG! You still haven’t watched the video? Pathetic!

DannoJyd on March 1, 2009 at 6:39 PM

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on February 28, 2009 at 9:25 PM

You think Bush would have had a competent man who could cut through it. He didn’t.

He screwed up with that office and we end up with an error that makes the rest of government look clean.

Truth, not smear.

sethstorm on February 28, 2009 at 10:20 PM

You don’t appear to be listening, but I’ll try one more time. FEMA performed better during Katrina under Bush than it usually does, including pre-positioning needed supplies before the storm even hit, yet the story we keep hearing is how Bush screwed up on Katrina. It’s not true, therefore it’s a smear. This, of course, is the same media which barely even noticed that the storm hit Missisippi, but spent all its time talking about New Orleans.

New Orleans, frankly, could not survive a direct hurricane hit, and everyone knows it. They keep hoping all the hurricanes will somehow miss them or fizzle before reaching them, because they have no chance if a major (Cat 4 or better) hurricane hits them directly.

In light of this, their primary method of handling hurricanes has been, “hold your breath and hope for the best.”

Of course, just because a direct hit from a really major hurricane would finish them no matter what, doesn’t mean they can’t try to be prepared for glancing blows from lesser hurricanes. The levees were neglected, and had been for years. Before Bush, by the way.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on March 1, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Not everyone in Louisiana was waiting for anyone to help them. The whining and handwringing came from the same people who have been living off of the taxpayers their whole lives, and those are the ones that the media focused on. You didn’t see what the surrounding areas were doing to help each other. Most businesses in our community allowed employees to take a day off to volunteer in area shelters. But you never saw stories like that in the national news.

cajunlady on February 28, 2009 at 10:48 PM

It’s always the few deadbeats that give everyone else a bad name. The rest of La handled things about like MS and AL, but will never get credit for it.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on March 1, 2009 at 10:57 PM

It’s quite obvious that the quote in question did not occur while Katrina’s winds were still blowing.

The sheriff was trying to send out boats to rescue people. That didn’t happen until after the huricane itself had passed.

MarkTheGreat on March 2, 2009 at 8:30 AM

MarkTheGreat on March 2, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Didn’t the flooding not really get going until a few days after the storm?

Count to 10 on March 2, 2009 at 1:38 PM

A couple of days ago I asked the central question: Did Jindal assist in getting boats where they needed to go or not?

Nobody has put forth any evidence to suggest that he did. Thus, his story seems disingenuous.

orange on March 2, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Well the video pretty much proves Jindal right.

But what was up with the guy filming, was he trying to give extreme close ups of people in the audience? LOL

jeffn21 on March 2, 2009 at 4:48 PM