Quote of the day

posted at 10:00 pm on February 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

“President Obama was awfully vague about some of his plans, but I think I heard him say that government is responsible for educating a child from birth—from birth—to its first job. Universal pre-school and universal college. And there were hints as well of universal healthcare and a universal service corps. It all sounds very appealing, until you realize that these plans mean universal government. That model has never worked anywhere in the world. America is great because our society is free and the power of government is limited by the Constitution.

For the last several years, we’ve heard liberals moaning about the 700 billion dollars that have been spent over six years to win freedom in Iraq. They have now spent more than that in 30 days. And with a government almost 12 trillion dollars in debt, any unnecessary spending puts at risk the creditworthiness of the United States. If the world loses confidence in our currency, that could cause a run on the dollar, or hyperinflation that would wipe out savings and devastate the Middle Class. President Obama says he hopes to cut the deficit in half after four years—does that mean a deficit in 2012 of 600 billion dollars? No president should accept such a staggering deficit, much less hold it up as a national goal. This is the time to pare back government spending. It is not the time to fulfill every liberal dream and spend America into catastrophe…

America voted for change. America did not vote for a boat-load of new government spending programs that would guarantee higher taxes and high deficits as far as the eye can see and that would threaten our currency, our economy, and our future. We must be the alternative course. We can’t be that if all we say is no.”

Online TV Shows by Ustream

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Romney has a serious phoniness problem. I watched him in Massachusetts and how he flipped on every issue from abortion to gun control

RadioFreeUSA on February 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM

And they don’t know that’s exactly what’s happening because the media aren’t telling them.

jgapinoy on February 27, 2009 at 10:05 PM

-Now they’re worried about deficits?

-Now they’re worried about limiting the power of government?

Yeah, it’s great that they’re ripping G.W. Bush now. But why did they vote with him for 6 years?

I don’t get the “return to Reagan” sentiment either. Does anyone realize the magnitude of deficits he created?

Ike Eisenhower is a slightly better recent model, I think.

The Dean on February 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Reading this transcript reminds me why I grew to like him as much as I do.

Ronald Reagan used to say that “the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that what they know is wrong. ” Conservatives don’t claim to know everything, but what we know is right.

Conservatives believe in settling great questions the way the Founders intended – especially where the stakes are the highest.

Preach it.

Let’s be clear on this point: conservatives favor clear, streamlined and up-to-date regulations and laws that let the economy work, but we will vigorously oppose those politicians who are poised to use their own failures as an excuse to undermine the free enterprise system.

Please, Mr. Steele, make an issue of this fact.

Spirit of 1776 on February 27, 2009 at 10:12 PM

RadioFreeUSA on February 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Wow, was that comment stuck in moderation from a year ago?

Dead Hand Control on February 27, 2009 at 10:12 PM

RadioFreeUSA on February 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM

please by all means tell me what Romney said in this that you disagree with, not his supposed flip flops, but the here and now. Too many of us view everything through the lens of 2012 presidential politics…and tearing each other down instead of living in the hear and now.
When Romney, Palin, Huck, whoever runs for 2012, then lets focus on the messenger instead of the message…ok?

Conservative Voice on February 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Ike Eisenhower is a slightly better recent model, I think.

The Dean on February 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Re Reagan, I’ve always thought the deficits were driven by two factors back then:

A need to build up the Military
Compromise with Tip O’Neill and the DEMs in Congress so he could get his legislation through

Am I wrong?

Red State State of Mind on February 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Oh sure, Romney is smart and knows business and the economy. Sure he has character and moral fiber, but he is white and boring.

Aren’t we better off having a socialist/Marxist Communist who is a really great speaker?

Star20 on February 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM

educating at birth….
———————-

The Liberals would rather,the state look after
and educate the ‘Children’,

so then,the State is ‘The Village’,

and the education is,’The Community’,

and the educator,of course,would be

the,’Community Organizer’,and those

educated Liberal children grow up to

be the very same liberals who are now

in Washington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on February 27, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Red State State of Mind on February 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Having lived through the Reagan years as an adult, I concur with your assessment.

catlady on February 27, 2009 at 10:15 PM

I’d like to see Romney making these points more frequently to a wider audience. Same goes for Giuliani, who gave some awesome speeches after McCain got the nomination.

Dead Hand Control on February 27, 2009 at 10:16 PM

The power of government, Mitt, is limited by the right to keep and bear firearms by the people.

You support banning “weapons of unusual lethality”, one of the most insulting and ridiculous phrases ever uttered. Tell me another one about how much of a conservative you are.

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Great coda:

Some of these critics never cared much for our belief that America occupies a special place …that there is work in the world that only we can do …and that Americans have the heart and the courage to get it done. But we know these things to be true. And to those who question the character of our country, including the new attorney general, let us remind them that America has never been, is not now, and will never be a nation of cowards.

I don’t deny that America’s challenges are great, or that overcoming them will require the best that we have to give. But I know as well that times of difficulty always bring out the essential character of our fellow citizens. When I was a boy, my dad used to say that the pursuit of the difficult makes you strong. Well, the pursuit of the difficult will make America strong. We welcome the challenge. It will call on us, once again, to draw on the incredible resilience, ingenuity, and faith of the free men and women of America.

We don’t get to choose the tests and trials ahead. But we’re entirely free, you and I, to choose how we will meet those tests. We will meet them as conservatives have done before. We will find strength in each other, and answer our opponents with good will and honest words. And we will go forward – confident in our beliefs, and certain of victories to come. Thank you.

Spirit of 1776 on February 27, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Romney is the only candidate, as far as I’m concerned.

TexasJew on February 27, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Romney is a good man, gave a pretty good speech, but man, all I can think about is that “Who let the dogs out?” quote.

jencab on February 27, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Star20 on February 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM

And with a wife who is a fashion leader!

catlady on February 27, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Higher taxes are patriotic. Romney is obviously not patriotic.

Bishop on February 27, 2009 at 10:21 PM

I watched the speech, and saw a great POTUS in Mitt Romney. But, his speeches have always been really well delivered, and his debate skills are top notch. Did I just wake up from a bad dream, or did the GOP really pick John McCain as our nominee in 2008?

joncoltonis on February 27, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Romney is the only candidate, as far as I’m concerned.

TexasJew on February 27, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Nah, too early to tell, I say. We all have our favorites but really we have live through the next two years before we can start getting an idea of who is going to pan out.

I am more worried about the governors and midterm elections. Right now states’ rights is the only way to stop some of this evil.

catlady on February 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM

I don’t know why there is always somebody to complain about whatever Republican is up there.

I’m not even a Republican, I’m an independent. But I can manage to get behind practically anybody who is saying the right things, as opposed to this CATASTROPHIC stuff that is being foisted on us now, and I can do it without picking through the person’s entire history or underwear drawer.

Alana on February 27, 2009 at 10:24 PM

He is not a phoney. He is a strong, smart, honest man who would’ve been the one who should’ve been running up against that fool obama and could’ve whipped his behind.
You know I don’t like gov health care especially because my brother died of lack of care in the canadian system and not just because of his age and he was a dr. Romney tried to head off hillary care and do a private type. As far as I know the dems got a hold of it when he left and thus the way it is now.

Bambi on February 27, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Romney is the only candidate, as far as I’m concerned.

TexasJew on February 27, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Yep. I mean, we’re a mere three years, 8 months, and a week from the next election. A paltry 1347 days. What could possibly change?

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2009 at 10:24 PM

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM

I agree that Romney’s gun policy stinks to high heaven, but lets clap and cheer when he says things right. When he is running, then we can hold his feet to the fire on guns.

Conservative Voice on February 27, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Romney 2012 – Economic Sanity Returns

Mitt Romney:

Education:
- B.A. Brigham Young University, 1971
- J.D. Harvard University, 1975
- M.B.A. Harvard University, 1975

Political Experience:
- Governor, Massachusetts, 2003-2007

Professional Experience:
- Consultant, Boston Consulting Group, 1975-1977
- Vice President, Bain and Company, Incorporated, 1978-1984
- Founder, Bain Capital LLC, 1984
- CEO, Bain Capital LLC, 1984-1998 ($80 Billion in assets)
- CEO, Bain and Company LLC, 1991-1993
- President, Salt Lake Winter Olympics Organizing Committee, 1999-2002

Poptech on February 27, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Don’t blame me, I voted for Mitt the first time around.

The Principal Chair on February 27, 2009 at 10:26 PM

RadioFreeUSA = Mike Huckabee’s HotAir alias

The Principal Chair on February 27, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Conservative Voice on February 27, 2009 at 10:24 PM

That sounds like an intelligent position! :)

Spirit of 1776 on February 27, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Conservative Voice on February 27, 2009 at 10:24 PM

To me, it’s the make or break issue. It is literally the only matter that, once decided in favor against the citizens, is gone forever. There will never be a reason to give it back. I can’t support anybody who would give it up. In that, I would actually find McCain more comforting than Romney. And I need a strong drink after typing that last sentence.

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM

But….but….he’s a Mormon. Don’t they think Jesus and Satan are brothers or something? My official Christian Leader (and McCain stalking horse) told me so!

It's Vintage, Duh on February 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Poptech on February 27, 2009 at 10:25 PM

come on, do you really believe you need the pedigree to know this Obama plan stinks?

Conservative Voice on February 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM

WE got McCain cause of the structure of some of our states primaries, which Mr. Steele should address muey pronto. Also, because some people in the GOP thought we had to be moderates. Hell, if we are going to go down, let’s do it in a flame of glory. (OK no one get excited here, I was speaking metaphorically)

catlady on February 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM

fine, dont vote for him, my point was cheer when any voice…even if its Al Sharpton, says the right thing.

Conservative Voice on February 27, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Red State State of Mind on February 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Quite true. People also fail to recognize this: the last 2 yrs especially, President Bush had to pass many budgets he didn’t like because war funding & money for the troops were hidden away in gigantic spending bills.

youngTXcon on February 27, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I didn’t think his speech was that good, to be honest.

Gingrich was much, much better… Romney might be more electable though.

DaveS on February 27, 2009 at 10:32 PM

And I need a strong drink after typing that last sentence.

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Hell, I need a strong drink every night for the next four years….

catlady on February 27, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Still, the current political climate makes one wonder–is American exceptionalism dead?

youngTXcon on February 27, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Newt! I love that guy!

Personally I think we need Karl Rove :)

catlady on February 27, 2009 at 10:35 PM

a boat load of new government spending……
—————————————–

Me,has been thinking on this financial rape of the treasury
by those sneaky,coniving,scamming Democrats,

somebody should be going to jail for this ‘Scam of the Century’!

The Liberal Democrat Party has finally did it,they live and
breath,’Tax and Spendis it down Baby’,like there’s no tomorr
ow,they want to run the country on Taxes,and yet they know
the American people will wise up to their consistent gaming
of the American Taxpayer,

so,very cleverly,the Libs,now own 40 per-cent of the banks,

with zero(0)Transparency!

Zero Accountability,

Zero oversight!!!!
———————

So now,Liberals can control,misuse,abuse,scam,and increase
the voter base,with extra cash from the banks,

4-Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
———————————————-

The next Stimulus Bill,should have at least these strings!

Oversight:
Accountants:Knowing who,what,and where taxpayer money is going!

Oversight of the Accounts:so there is no hanky panky of a
Liberal operative Accountant!

Audits:Every three months!

Every penny,and the change,that is left over from Obama’s
‘CHANGE’!

And to be made available,for every American,to see where the
4 Trillion dollars went!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on February 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Nice speech right up until he called for a global solution to the global warming problem. Like Bush, he is a gut liberal.

Valiant on February 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Seriously? What Romney said pales in comparison to what Obama is going to do. Talk about failing to see the forest for the trees.

catlady on February 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM

We got McCain because lots of independents and Democrats crossed over in states where they guaranteed a candidate that Obama could easily beat. Most of my liberal friends in Missouri and Florida admitted to voting in our primary for McCain against Romney for this very reason.

IrishSamurai on February 27, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Please go to 2012obama.com and take a poll of a projected contest between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama.

Currently Sarah is sitting at 71%; Obama at 29%.

technopeasant on February 27, 2009 at 10:39 PM

SarahCuda/Romney/2012?

Just think,all the Liberal political pundits would
be talking about,is ‘Whats up with that wink’!

canopfor on February 27, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Good point. I wonder if somebody can ask him what number he has in mind when he says cut in half.

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 10:40 PM

I pray for Global Warming, the alternative really sucks if you have to grow food or ranch…I fact, maybe we should start a Pro-Global Warming group and take their arguments away from them! Don’t give them another “emergency” make it a Global Windfall that it is getting warmer :)

rgranger on February 27, 2009 at 10:42 PM

FINALLY!!!!

Someone says it so simply and succinctly that the uneducated can understand.

If its articulated correctly, the majority of this country will get their head out of their ass and discover their “inner conservative”.

Saltysam on February 27, 2009 at 10:45 PM

rishSamurai on February 27, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Exactly what I was trying albeit somewhat awkwardly to say!! Get everyone out of the GOP primaries except GOP registered voters! Revise the primary voting laws of the states that allow this!

catlady on February 27, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Conservative Voice on February 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM
Alana on February 27, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Strongly agree.

Romney’s a good man, and delivers a conservative message very articulately. I’ll worry about him as a presidential candidate on the day he announces he’s running again. If and when conservatives have a leader who matters very much in the grand scheme of things, I think it will be obvious at that time, and I won’t need validation from a snarky troll, an obsessive fan, or the self-appointed spokesperson for whatever faction.

CK MacLeod on February 27, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Global Windfall

rgranger on February 27, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Love it!!!!

Saltysam on February 27, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I stopped when he said he’d supported TARP. I like Romney on a personal level but all the indicators show that he’s just another squish.

FloatingRock on February 27, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Personally I think it is getting colder because my husband’s greenhouse gas emissions have decreased due to the change I have implemented in his diet. (THIS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD, JUST RGRANGER’S GLOBAL WINDFALL)

catlady on February 27, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Someone says it so simply and succinctly that the uneducated can understand.

Educated, accomplished and plain spoken. We all know what we need, right?

Joe The Plumber / Sarah Palin 2012!!11

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 10:55 PM

BTW Allah, thanks for not having a quote of the day that pertains to religion, abortion or Sarah Palin directly….:)

catlady on February 27, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Educated, accomplished and plain spoken. We all know what we need, right?

Joe The Plumber / Sarah Palin 2012!!11

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 10:55 PM

As far as I’m concerned, a blindfolded second grader / french fry cook 2012!! are more capable than those thieving, socialist criminals in power at the moment.

Saltysam on February 27, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.
- Vladimir Lenin

Looks like Obama doesn’t want to take any chances.

MB4 on February 27, 2009 at 10:59 PM

catlady on February 27, 2009 at 10:45 PM

I say the GOP revise its rules and have all fifty state primaries on the same day. No more BS!

I blame NH!

And while I’m at it, I BLAME MAINE too! ( and that’s where i grew up)

Saltysam on February 27, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Man, would I ever sleep better at night knowing Mitt Romney was in the White House looking out for the best interests of America…Romney 2012!

JA on February 27, 2009 at 11:04 PM

I have to destroy the village country to save it.
- Barackito Obamalini

MB4 on February 27, 2009 at 11:05 PM

…change is “doing something that you weren’t doing” or “being something you weren’t before”…so, America voted for change….

…becoming a totalitarian cradle-to-grave Eurotrash-envying pudding state is a change, n’cest pas?

We must be the alternative course.

…you mean not “No”, but rather “No, try this instead…”? A nice idea, but how do you get a bunch of country club elitist pultroons who don’t care for Joe Lunchbox any more than the lib Dems do rise above the monosyllabic level? How do you shoe-horn an original idea in their head?

…beats me….

Puritan1648 on February 27, 2009 at 11:05 PM

I liked the speech overall. I kept imagining him giving a SOTU. I voted for him in the Primary, but I still can’t shake the fact that he got elected, & re-elected, in Massachusetts(!) for some reason.
This is not a criticism, but an honest-to-goodness concern. Like I said, I liked his words, and yet…

artlover on February 27, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Star20 on February 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM

And with a wife who is a fashion leader!

catlady on February 27, 2009 at 10:20 PM

…the sucking sound made when the Left finally falls out of love with the Obamas and remove their collective lips from their asses will sound like Krakatoa errupting….

…I just hope that they stay adhered ’til March, in time for me to order some really high speed ear muffs…it’s gonna sting….

Suggestion for new term of derision for mainstream and international journalism: the Lamprey Press…they just suck hold and swim along….

Puritan1648 on February 27, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Not to me.

Johan Klaus on February 27, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Valiant on February 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I agree this is a big problem with the GOP but his position means nothing will ever happen because China and India will never cripple their economies for the green propaganda. Rudy believes in it but does not want government intervention. That is about it, McCain, Huckabee and Palin all want Carbon Caps.

Poptech on February 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM

artlover on February 27, 2009 at 11:09 PM

He wasn’t re-elected in Massachusetts, he didn’t run for a second term, he ran for president instead. He probably wouldn’t have been re-elected anyway as they elected an ultra-liberal who is undoing all the good Romney did in the state.

thecountofincognito on February 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM

That is about it, McCain, Huckabee and Palin all want Carbon Caps.

Poptech on February 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM

hehe

wrong again poptart

I see you already posted Romney’s resume … does he pay to for these services?

do you get to comb his hair from time to time?

does he give you hand me down armani suits?

joey24007 on February 27, 2009 at 11:17 PM

…I still can’t shake the fact that he got elected, & re-elected, in Massachusetts(!) for some reason.

artlover on February 27, 2009 at 11:09 PM

…I’m with you in thinking this an actual, factual concern…it’s sort of like a guy getting elected the head of the NEA, and trying to see him in a light friendly to school vouchers and home-schooling…or, being elected Grand Imperial Wizard and being thought a viable candidate for the head of the NAACP….

…naaaaaaaaah…we’ve got three years and a pocketful of change yet…let’s go slow on picking Mr. Obama’s press buddy’s next victim…let’s pick the right guy this time…somebody more like a citizen….

Puritan1648 on February 27, 2009 at 11:17 PM

“Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss”

Johan Klaus on February 27, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Emblazoned on every page of President Obama’s budget are the words: “A New Era of Responsibility.”

That would be a responsibility for you to fork over more taxes.

That would be a responsibility for your company to pay even higher taxes.

That would be a responsibility for you to foot the bill for one of the largest expansions of government welfare in history.

Obama’s budget schemes to drain staggering amounts of money from people who worked for it and steer it to people who didn’t.

This isn’t the free market. It’s the freeloader market.

At a time when entitlement programs, such as Social Security and Medicare, are on the verge of catastrophic collapse and literally threaten the continuance of the federal government, Obama proposes just piling on more.

How does he hope to pay for all of this?

He plans to recoup $200 billion of new spending by “closing the tax gap,” a perennial vow made by politicians with your tax dollars in their eyes.

This gap between what people theoretically owe and what they pay never has been closed because it would cost so much more than it would reap to try going after every baby sitter or lawn worker who has pocketed some extra income.

It’s just a gimmick.

And after years of railing against Republicans over reckless deficit spending, Obama is settling on three consecutive years of trillion-dollar deficits.

This year alone, deficit spending will be $1.8 trillion.
- Charles Hurt

MB4 on February 27, 2009 at 11:18 PM

catlady on February 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Amen, catlady! Why is it that so far we have heard nothing from Mr. Steele on this issue, which should be THE most pressing issue facing the GOP??? I want to hear that there will be no crossover voters in the Republican primaries from this point forward. Anyone wonder how McCain came back from the political dead? Liberal crossover voters, that’s how!! This must be stopped, and stopped NOW!! If it weren’t for crossover voters, Romney would have won the nomination and would have kicked Obama’s ass six ways from Sunday, certainly at least in the debates.

OneVision on February 27, 2009 at 11:18 PM

“Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss”

Johan Klaus on February 27, 2009 at 11:17 PM

The King is dead, long live the King.

MB4 on February 27, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Poptech on February 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM

I bet the money in Romney’s wallet that poptart here will post Palin’s comments from the campaign echoing the McCain campaign’s view on carbon caps…

joey24007 on February 27, 2009 at 11:21 PM

We must be the alternative course. We can’t be that if all we say is no.”

Who’s saying that? For crissakes Allah – the Republicans put forth a completely different stimulus plan – which made it to the floor and was voted down by the Democrats.

The goal here is to regain power (because we are the Jedi). The Democrats just took power from us. Uhhhm – what alternatives did they put forward? They’ve done nothing but say “no” for eight years – which kind of punctures your theory that saying “no” is a barren path. It clearly isn’t if you do it right.

HondaV65 on February 27, 2009 at 11:21 PM

I love this guy.

AbaddonsReign on February 27, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Poptech on February 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM
I think we need to wake up to the reality of an increasingly globalized world. Does this mean we need to join it? No–but it does mean when need to intervene & take certain steps *when absolutely necessary*. This isn’t 1800s America anymore.

Also, I’m still trying to understand how President Bush is a ‘gut liberal’. Everyone acts like the man wanted to adhere to the World Court, sign Kyoto, give America to Mexico & Canada, turn 3rd-world nations into little Americas, etc. I don’t remember any of that happening. The reality is, the man is a socio-religious conservative, while many conservatives are returning to paleoconservatism. And don’t get me started on how Reagan’s record shows that he is more moderate than many remember him to be…

youngTXcon on February 27, 2009 at 11:22 PM

So now it’s unanimous for Mitt? What happened to poor Sarah?

Hate to say it, but Osama Obama would have whupped Mitt’s rear end, or Huck’s, or Fred’s, or anyone from the list of Repub “contenduhs” you care to name.

It was simply time for that white guilt to boil over. And the MSM needed a good communist to cheerlead for.

One hopes ’12 will be a different story, assuming The Messiah permits elections then. Depends on whether Cousin Odinga comes over to help, I guess.

I admit I don’t like Romney. I think he is too variable in his positions. But we don’t have to make a choice until, say ’10, and that gives each of the wannabes a chance to make their cases.

The way things are going, it might be that none of the possibilities will want to run. Those detention camps can be uncomfortable, y’know.

MrScribbler on February 27, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Also Romney? Nope. He’s a suit.

The next great Republican will come from the grassroots. Or well – let me just say that the next great CONSERVATIVE will come from the grassroots.

We may very well be looking at a Conservative third party if the same people in the GOP try to push big tent McCain politics on us one more time.

It failed – didn’t it. And how exquisitely it did fail. In fact – the fall would have been ten times worse even if not for a Conservative woman who bailed more than her fair share of water out of the sinking SS McCain.

HondaV65 on February 27, 2009 at 11:25 PM

To persons from urban districts/environments, they tend to think that ‘all guns’ are “bad” and to define assault weapons as being expressly associated with crime (wrong on both accounts but to many in urban environments or products of urban environments, that’s their ‘rightful’ perspective since most crime — with ‘guns’ — is committed in their environments, the urban ones).

Such that, Governors of small states with high crime statistics (Massachusetts, Illinois due to Chicago, for example) are going to be more pro-government limitations upon assault weapons if not all “guns”.

But I think that Romney is intelligent enough to be reasoned with and has been as to his earlier position about supporting an assault weapons’ ban. The Left, on the other hand, are intent on banning ALL “guns” because it assists their process of disarming Americans.

There’s s distinction there, politically, that is important. We should all, who support our Second Amendment Rights, oppose the Left’s attack on those rights and not on those among the Right who are concerned about crime and seek locale-situated solutions (such, I beleive, was Romney’s inspiration, given his experiences as Governor of a highly-urban area).

In my view, no infringements on the Second Amendment, are supportable. And that includes attempts to “ban” automatic weapons, all of them.

Lourdes on February 27, 2009 at 11:27 PM

thecountofincognito on February 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Sorry. My bad. Maybe next time I should–you know–READ the stats, instead of skimming over them.

artlover on February 27, 2009 at 11:29 PM

If I were able to forget that Romney changed just about all of his positions since he was governor, he’d be much more impressive.

V15J on February 27, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Heres a little interlude between comments!

Highly recommend,Kool-Aid,before viewing!

Barack OBollywood:

canopfor on February 27, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Mitt is being overly diplomatic, here. Universal government is a euphemism for a totalitarian state. That is what it is. Add to this the Precedent’s overriding, burning desire for REVENGE (social and economic “justice”) and it is not difficult to see where this is headed.

Mitt also went a little easy on the monetary destruction that the idiot messiah is going to wreak. It is our great misfortune that the Precedent, and his band of absolute lunatics in COngress, think that, just because they are occupying the seats of power, that they will be in some great position when the chaos of monetary destruction hits – but they have that view only because they are too friggin’ stupid to understand anything.

The Precedent and the morons in Congress are driving this nation into the chasm and they will not stop of their own accord, because they are all just too dumb for words.

progressoverpeace on February 27, 2009 at 11:33 PM

“The invisible hand of the market is more powerful than the lumbering hand of government.”

Amen. Great line.

Chubbs65 on February 27, 2009 at 11:36 PM

This is more than just about the spending. The spending is sock puppet’s means to the end he desires. I’ve said many times that this son of a bitch hates this country, and I meant it and he’s proving it. He’s changing things alright, into exactly what the soviets were striving for when their center collapsed and are trying for a do-over with Putin.

This is going to suck folks. The liberals are loving it because they think that somehow they’ll be immune to the pain of living under this kind of rule. They won’t be.

I’m becoming more and more sure that the only way freedom loving Americans will prevail here is AFTER the liberals with the sick sock puppet as president completely gut this country, then the opposition and ensuing revolution can only be a violent and bloody one.

I’m not looking forward to this.

Spiritk9 on February 27, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Lourdes on February 27, 2009 at 11:27 PM

What’s an assault weapon?

Why do states with pro-government limitations have high violent crime statistics?

Saltysam on February 27, 2009 at 11:39 PM

To all those dumping on Romney, consider this: why is it that liberals targeted Romney for defeat in the 2008 primaries, like we heard from one poster describing what happened in Missouri? Because they had a lot to fear from him, just like they have much to fear from Sarah. Romney was clearly the most articulate GOP candidate in the field. He has proven his leadership skills time and time again. That liberals feared Romney should be a determinative factor in proving that he was the right candidate for the GOP. In my humble opinion, those of you who pick on him for changes in position on social issues are missing the bigger picture. With his economic knowledge and experience, he would have been the best leader to guide us through the economic turmoil we now find ourselves in. Furthermore, he believes in strong borders and strong national defense.

Laura Ingraham supported Mitt and introduced him at last year’s CPAC convention. Rush backed Mitt, albeit a little late, in the primaries. So Mitt was backed by two conservative powerhouses. That further bolsters his bona fides, as I see it.

OneVision on February 27, 2009 at 11:44 PM

What’s an assault weapon?

Saltysam on February 27, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Anything concealable that, when whipped out, would scare Nancy Pelosi.

progressoverpeace on February 27, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Amen brother – exactly right, and it’s exactly why Mitt won’t be the next Republican President. If the Republicans rise again – it will be by the hand of a fighter – someone who speaks plain language to the people and spits in the face of the enemy. LOL – folks – the suits, ties, and diplomacy are over. Even if we get this circus back under correct ownership – it’s going to be one hella messed up – and for a very long time. But the sooner we get it – the sooner we can fix it. We won’t get it soon by being “nice” – we need to fight.

HondaV65 on February 27, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Love em or hate em, Mitt can really speak, and unlike Obama he writes his own speeches.

Romney would have owned Obama in the debates… Don’t know if that would have given him the presidency, but he would have been a better choice than John McCain.

Romney/Palin would have been an awesome ticket.

Borislav on February 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM

I have spoken with a truly liberal democrat who hates Palin, Limbaugh, etc. You know a classic idiot. However, he had a light bulb turn on in his head for a few minutes of clarity. He said he hated Obama because he is “an unexperienced idiot.” No disagreement there. He also said, “You republicans should have chosen Romney. He would have gotten my vote after this economic disaster.” Well, I told him his democRAT party and the MSM selected our republican nominee and Romney would have won by a landslide. Yet, the economic disaster was caused by Soros. He wouldn’t dare cause this catastrophe when there is a successful businessman against his socialist puppet.

I like Romney, but his time is done. We have two great people in Palin and Jindal. But we might have the same shenanigans being pulled if Steele doesn’t fix the format. We might have Huck or Mitt.

jencab on February 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM

V15J on February 27, 2009 at 11:29 PM

You’re in luck! He didn’t do that, he changed one and moved slightly further right on another. Fortunately there are more than two issues this country faces. So, feel free to be impressed now.

thecountofincognito on February 27, 2009 at 11:58 PM

joey24007 on February 27, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Palin made no comment that these are McCain’s plans and she believes otherwise. These are her words:

MODERATOR: “…do you support capping carbon emissions?”
PALIN: “I do. I do.”

Poptech on February 28, 2009 at 12:02 AM

jencab on February 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Just because Romney lost his bid for the nomination doesn’t mean his time is done. In 2012 he’ll be the age Fred was this time, and he comes across as younger than he is. Palin was also on the losing side this go-round. Lets have the primary happen and see which candidates can impress us most next time. Maybe Palin or Jindal will shine brightest, maybe Romney will still be our best bet. I wouldn’t throw him under the bus just yet.

thecountofincognito on February 28, 2009 at 12:03 AM

MODERATOR: “…do you support capping carbon emissions?”
PALIN: “I do. I do.”

Poptech on February 28, 2009 at 12:02 AM

pay up suckas!

joey24007 on February 28, 2009 at 12:05 AM

HondaV65 on February 27, 2009 at 11:45 PM

I am in total agreement with your view, Honda. I do think, however, that Mitt has it in him to truly engage this fight. He understands exactly what is happening and where we are going – Mitt is certainly a smart and capable guy. I think it will just take a bit until he realizes that the diplomacy of his words undoes the clarity of his thought. But I don’t doubt that he understands the severity of the situation.

That said, I also don’t think he will be the 2012 candidate, partly because if this mess isn’t righted by 2010 there won’t be anything left to run for in 2012 and partly because there are others who don’t carry the baggage with large sections of the right that Mitt does. Personally, I like and respect Mitt (though I have lingering questions about a few of his positions). But, in any event, the bulk of this fight will have to be won long before 2012, or it’s lights out for quite some time.

progressoverpeace on February 28, 2009 at 12:12 AM

thecountofincognito on February 28, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Couldn’t agree more. I would add that, to the contrary, the economic crisis makes Romney an even more attractive candidate because of his fiscal knowledge and experience, on which more attention can be given. His time is not done – it may only be just beginning – he deserves the chance to continue to make his case, as you suggest.

I like the idea of a Romney / Palin ticket in 2012 – the liberals would defintely have much to fear with that 1-2 combination. We could use more time to see what Jindal truly brings to the table. At the very least, he could be a very serious candidate in 2016. Looks like the liberal MSM fear him already, judging from their inane comments surrounding Jindal’s rebuttal of Obama’s address to Congress.

OneVision on February 28, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Meh……….

…….. (blocked for content)

Seven Percent Solution on February 28, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Just imagine if we had someone smart, pragmatic, competent, with business experience running the country. Wouldn’t that be nice? Nahhhh…religion is what counts more than anything!
/sarc

therightwinger on February 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Great speech! Watch the Video its GOOD!

yea yeah yeah I AM a Mitt Supporter.

Romney / Jindal, Palin, Thune, (Eh, Why not *possible shudder factor*) Huckabee. @012!!!!11!!!!!X Elenventy

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on February 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM

As much as I love Sarah Palin, I prefer Romney as a presidential candidate. I think we should let Sarah finish 2 terms a governor and/or senator before we have her on the national stage again. I’d like to see Jindal as a VP candidate :)

PammyV on February 28, 2009 at 12:48 AM