Obama to troops: “You got the job done” in Iraq

posted at 6:08 pm on February 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

No need to respond with the obvious point; Romney already made it eloquently today at CPAC. Here’s The One’s surreal address at Camp Lejeune this morning, announcing a hard and fast deadline of August 31, 2010 for the end of our “combat mission” in Iraq. Does that mean all combat troops are out by that date? Maybe not: Rep. John McHugh was reassured by Obama himself that the plan will change as the security situation does. And so the fine line between a timetable strategy and a conditions-based strategy grows finer still. No wonder the GOP’s happy with it.

If you’re not up for 28 minutes of Obamamania, I encourage you to read the transcript. Against all odds, I think this is the best speech The One’s delivered yet — despite the fact that it is, as I say, utterly surreal. Remember, this is the guy who said last summer that if he had it to do over again, he’d still oppose the surge; who declared the dream of Iraqi democracy hopeless in November 2006; and who insisted in 2002, at the end of the anti-war speech celebrated by progressives far and wide, that troops killed in Iraq will have died in vain. That was candidate Obama. Today it’s commander-in-chief Obama, so we get stirring passages like this:

Thanks in great measure to your service, the situation in Iraq has improved. Violence has been reduced substantially from the horrific sectarian killing of 2006 and 2007. Al Qaeda in Iraq has been dealt a serious blow by our troops and Iraq’s Security Forces, and through our partnership with Sunni Arabs. The capacity of Iraq’s Security Forces has improved, and Iraq’s leaders have taken steps toward political accommodation. The relative peace and strong participation in January’s provincial elections sent a powerful message to the world about how far Iraqis have come in pursuing their aspirations through a peaceful political process…

Now, before I go any further, I want to take a moment to speak directly to the people of Iraq.

You are a great nation, rooted in the cradle of civilization. You are joined together by enduring accomplishments, and a history that connects you as surely as the two rivers carved into your land. In years past, you have persevered through tyranny and terror; through personal insecurity and sectarian violence. And instead of giving in to the forces of disunion, you stepped back from a descent into civil war, and showed a proud resilience that deserves respect.

Our nations have known difficult times together. But ours is a bond forged by shared bloodshed, and countless friendships among our people. We Americans have offered our most precious resource – our young men and women – to work with you to rebuild what was destroyed by despotism; to root out our common enemies; and to seek peace and prosperity for our children and grandchildren, and for yours…

And so I want to be very clear: We sent our troops to Iraq to do away with Saddam Hussein’s regime – and you got the job done. We kept our troops in Iraq to help establish a sovereign government – and you got the job done. And we will leave the Iraqi people with a hard-earned opportunity to live a better life – that is your achievement; that is the prospect that you have made possible.

I can only assume he says “you” instead of “we” because even an ego as robust as Obama’s won’t tolerate credit-sharing on a project he inveighed against for so long.

Skip ahead to 25:20 and at least watch his tribute to Cpl. Jonathan Yale and Lance Cpl. Justin Haerter, two heroes who, evidently, didn’t die in vain after all. “Semper fidelis” indeed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Nothing that Obama says now can change the fact that left to him Saddam and his sons would still be running Iraq, killing Iraqis, hidings weapons programs, and in general telling the UN the and the US to kiss off.

Terrye on February 27, 2009 at 8:29 PM

“What we will not do is let the pursuit of the perfect stand in the way of achievable goals.”

Didn’t read all the comments.

What a stupid trite comment. And he uses a similar phrase all the time. “…let the pursuit of the perfect,blah,blah,blah…”

The only thing worse would be to follow with one of Jesse Jackson’s rhyming sentences.

““What we will not do is let the pursuit of the perfect stand in the way of achievable goals. Nor will we allow you capitalists to burn your coals.”

JiangxiDad on February 27, 2009 at 9:01 PM

as he has zero creds with the Soldiers.

You’re probably talking about yourself. You would not trust your own Commander-in-Chief. Most of American soldiers have a sense of duty and respect for the civilian leadership elected by the people of this country. Those who are as deranged as you are are hopefully a minority.

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I cannot believe that this man is my two sons’ commander in chief.

DrStock on February 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM

It’s amazing that the President of the United States who ran on losing in Iraq and Iraq being the wrong war ADMITTED today he was wrong and we won the War and NOBODY is talking about it. Amazing.

AYNBLAND on February 27, 2009 at 9:13 PM

So, this is the post where AP admits to feeling a thrill run up his leg.

Finally.

Stephen M on February 27, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Military service should be mandatory to run for president.

Johan Klaus on February 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Better yet, make it mandatory to vote. Then, if the voters want to elect a civilian, they’re free to do so.

JiangxiDad on February 27, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I cannot believe that this man is my two sons’ commander in chief.

DrStock on February 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Man. Just wow. I hope they are doing well, and are home safe soon.

JiangxiDad on February 27, 2009 at 9:22 PM

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 9:06 PM

to disagree with the person who has been put into the position of you CinC is protected, at least for now, by the Bill of Rights. Now, as active duty personnel, they will usually refrain from publicly disagreeing with said person. It will be interesting to watch the retention numbers in the coming couple of years. I know of several officers that are not only going to leave the military, but also try to be part of the solution by running campaigns against some of these idiots in DC. THIS is how we take back our country. The 2010 races need to be started now so that we have candidates running that understand the founding fathers and love this country. And about Searcher484: You keep at ‘em! I’ve never seen anyone tell such whoppers with such a straight face! You don’t work so hard to keep people from digging if there’s not something of value to be found…

pebbles on February 27, 2009 at 9:28 PM

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 9:06 PM

How do you know that most American soldiers have respect for the leadership of Obama? You took that right out of thin air.My guess is that people will not re-enlist, and many will no longer join.

JiangxiDad on February 27, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Allah’s post acts as if the security improvements are solely due to the surge. Yes the surge played a role, but was more important was the Anbar awakening and al-Sadr’s ceasefire. It was a confluence of factors, not just increased troop presence.

crr6 on February 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM

crr6 on February 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM

I attribute it mostly to massive Dem support at home, and the calming role of Obama during the campaign.

JiangxiDad on February 27, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I cannot believe that this man is my two sons’ commander in chief.

DrStock on February 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM

radiofreevillage, have the guts, you gnat, to call DrStock “deranged”.

To call me nutty is a compliment; I’d die before I’d be as common as you aim to be. Also, I know the military and other services way closer than you can ever imagine.

Entelechy on February 27, 2009 at 9:39 PM

JiangxiDad on February 27, 2009 at 9:37 PM

…and messianic powers to heal all things and to bring peace, the world over.

Entelechy on February 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM

No congratulations, you were victorious against all odds! No you guys are the most brilliant military evah! No high praise!

He is an idiot. He does not deserve to lead this wonderful military. I despise his incompetence.

JAM on February 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Entelechy on February 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM

So many people are back in. It took so long to get rid of them in the first place. Good night. I’m getting tired–of this as well.

JiangxiDad on February 27, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Obama has only 2 years experience,

as a Senator,and now he is ‘Commander-In -Chief,

but,he’s not even been a Cub Scout,or Eagle Scout,

or even a Girl Guide for that matter,so,I guess,

Hope and Change,’only words’is what Obama can rely

on,for the so-called Leader of the Free-World!!

Now, that is comforting,especially when that 3:00AM
phone call comes in,and it distrubs Obama’s dreams
of how to take out the Republican Party!!!!!!!!(Sarc!).

canopfor on February 27, 2009 at 9:50 PM

JxD, good night. Don’t let your wonderful life be affected by plankton. It has a way to multiply and resurface. Focus on the girls, all 3 of them :) Best always,

Entelechy on February 27, 2009 at 9:51 PM

radiofreevillage, have the guts, you gnat, to call DrStock “deranged”.

If he starts justifying their supposed disdain for the CiC, I will. So far he was making clear his political preferences.

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Awesome demographics behind the President there. There is something monstrous about choosing the people that will stand in the background based on appearance. The only explanation I can think of is that women and minorities have the highest turnout. It just feels like we’re props to him.

Regarding the substance of the speech – bulls–t. There was a time when political expediency and pragmatism were looked at as character flaws in leadership. I look at him delivering an “attaboy” to the military in a similar fashion to how I would view Osama bin Laden delivering a speech on the need for a free and respected Israel. You can only tell me one thing and then do the other so many times before I’ll never trust you again. This is going to be a difficult 4 years.

blankminde on February 27, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I didn’t read the comments. But, I watched this today and in my opinion he didn’t really receive a very warm welcome from the Marines. It was more of a polite applause at the right times. Not anything that was really spontaneous. Bush got the warm treatment from the troops.

cjs1943 on February 27, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Sorry AP, I appreciate the effort but he has nothing to say that I want to hear or read. I’m done with political hypocrisy. If he ain’t gonna pay the price, I ain’t botherin’. It’s 18 minutes of my life I’ll never get back.

Mr_Magoo on February 27, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I cannot believe that this man is my two sons’ commander in chief.

DrStock on February 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM

As a service brat myself who never got to serve due to physical limitations, thank you for your sons’ service.

Sadly elections have consequences. Once again I would like to thank all those people who voted for the evil Bush in 2004 but stayed home in 2008 because they didn’t like McCain.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Antichrist

sandlin71 on February 27, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Sounds like “Mission Accomplished.”

Muslims_for_Obama on February 27, 2009 at 11:10 PM

I only watched the first 10 seconds of the clip because it did not have the one thing that I needed to see. Namely, how the troops reacted when Obama was introduced. I have seen countless clips of Pres. Bush in similar situations. Whenever Bush was introduced and approached the podium, the welcoming roar of the troops was deafening and sustained. I remember seeing a clip when Bush addressed Marines at Lejeune shortly after Baghdad fell and the crowd was electric. I have never viewed a clip of Bush interacting with the troops that did not convey mutual and very obvious love and respect.
The fine people in the Armed Services will always show the required respect to PBO but I believe it will be a cold day in hell before dear leader gets the same response that Pres. Bush received from them,

muggedbyreality on February 27, 2009 at 11:17 PM

When Omama and his bitch biden start giving Pres Bush
some real credit for winning the war and keeping us safe
I’ll start to listen to some of what he says about Irag.

Til then . . . Sorry AP, I can’t stomach the guy.

Texyank on February 27, 2009 at 11:30 PM

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 9:06 PM

LOL… its VERY apparent you never served…

USN Ret. here. In the long dark reaches of the Mid watch churning circles in the Persian Gulf, you’d be suprised at the high levels of dialouge that can happen.

You’d also be suprised at the amount of bitterness we feel when we are betrayed by politics. When our lives are spent for no reason… and when a politician uses the troops to make political points via a speech.

Will they do what the President orders? Of course…

Will the respect Obama? That a way different question.

Oh, and for the record, after loosing friends in Lebanon in 83… I did not like Reagen… but Carter was worse… and Clinton was a running joke…

Oh, and Obama’s biggest applause line in his speech today? Saying he would give the military a raise… but the raise is only 2.9%… less than the rate of inflation…

Romeo13 on February 27, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Can we get out now?

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Apparently not. Doesn’t that just make you full of rage? Take it up with Hopenchange.

Won’t watch the clip and haven’t read the transcript yet. But the excerpt in the post looks like something Bush could’ve said. Yep, utterly surreal.

ddrintn on February 27, 2009 at 11:46 PM

JiangxiDad on February 27, 2009 at 9:01 PM

He thinks because he says it with his nose in the air it will be profound.

muggedbyreality on February 27, 2009 at 11:17 PM

That’s true. Look at this speech and a couple of photos in it.

INC on February 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM

ddrintn on February 27, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Compare O with the words of Bush in the transcript I just linked to:

THE PRESIDENT [Bush]: Thanks to you, 25 million Iraqis are free.

Thanks to you, Iraq is no longer sponsoring terror — it is fighting terror. It’s making American people safer as a result.

The enemies of freedom in Iraq are determined, and this fight has been tough. Two years ago, the situation had grown dire — the political process was frozen and sectarian violence was spiraling out of control. Some of you were here then/

Many said the mission was hopeless; many called for retreat. Retreat would have meant failure — and failure is never an option.

AUDIENCE: Hoo-ah!

And this:

THE PRESIDENT: And so I have a message for you and all who serve our country: I want to thank you for making the noble choice to serve and to protect your fellow Americans. Sometimes it can be hard to tell when history is being made, particularly if you’re in the middle of the action. What you’re doing in Iraq is as important, and courageous, and selfless as what American troops did in places like Normandy and Iwo Jima and Korea. Your generation is every bit as great as any that came before it. And the work you do every day will shape history for generations to come.

I guess what I’m telling you is your grandchildren some day are going to say, “Thank God you showed up and served.”

Bush’s finale:

Thanks — thanks for coming by to let me say hello. Thanks for serving the United States of America. They ask me what I’m going to miss as the President. I’ll tell you what I’m going to miss: being the Commander-in-Chief of such a fabulous group of folks. May God bless you, and God bless America. (Applause.)

I’ll tell you, Obama’s words are stilted and stiff in comparison.

INC on February 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Wait until he gets on TV/Radio for 6-8 hours at a stretch ala Castro. It’s only a matter of time.

Ack, barf.

tru2tx on February 27, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Yeah, when he starts dropping in the polls we’ll have joint-session-of-Congress extravaganzas every week.

ddrintn on February 27, 2009 at 11:55 PM

DrStock on February 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Please tell your sons we said thank you!

INC on February 27, 2009 at 11:56 PM

I’ll tell you, Obama’s words are stilted and stiff in comparison.

INC on February 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Yeah, true. Still, the moonbats can’t be completely pleased.

ddrintn on February 27, 2009 at 11:58 PM

but was more important was the Anbar awakening and alSadr’s ceasefire.l- It was a confluence of factors, not just increased troop presence.
crr6 on February 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Al sadr’s cease fire was to save his butt.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Typical reactions of troops to Bush:

And I doubt PBO will ever have the level of comfort with the troops to do this:

muggedbyreality on February 28, 2009 at 12:03 AM

The Corner:

Warriors, Not Victims [Yuval Levin]

Tom Donnelly on the all-too-common “soldier as victim” rhetoric. Well worth reading. It’s certainly a lot better than the “soldier as psychopath” rhetoric of forty years ago, but the idea that making sure they have health care benefits (always with an emphasis on psychiatric care) fully expresses our debt to America’s troops, or speaks to the character of their devotion and courage, can’t help but be demeaning. It’s one place where our new president could learn something from the man he beat in November.

Tom Donnelly:

…But there is little of the praise of warriors in his words.

INC on February 28, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Typical response from the troops to Bush:

And I serously doubt whether PBO will ever have the level of comfort with the military needed to do this:

muggedbyreality on February 28, 2009 at 12:18 AM

Sorry for the double post – the first one looked like it was swallowed by the ether.

muggedbyreality on February 28, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Am I the only one who thinks he feels sympathy for our troops rather than pride?

lostinjrz on February 28, 2009 at 12:22 AM

muggedbyreality on February 28, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Thanks for the clips. There’s such a strong rapport and mutual appreciation there.

lostinjrz on February 28, 2009 at 12:22 AM

I don’t know if O even feels sympathy.

INC on February 28, 2009 at 12:27 AM

lostinjrz on February 28, 2009 at 12:22 AM

I don’t think he feels either. Everything is calculated for political effect.

ddrintn on February 28, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Didn’t read all the comments.

JiangxiDad on February 27, 2009 at 9:01 PM

I’d like to have a dollar for every time I’ve heard that one. He’ll keep spewing these things out as long as the O-bots in the media act as if it’s the first time they’ve ever heard such eloquent pearls of wisdom.

ddrintn on February 28, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Ja, aber Ich bin der treue Husar

Johan Klaus on February 27, 2009 at 7:43 PM
Entelechy on February 27, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Thank you for that link. I had forgotten about that movie. That song was “Mein Großvater ist” and now my favorite song, along with “Lili Marleen”.

1. Es war einmal ein treuer Husar,
Der liebt’ sein Mädchen ein ganzes Jahr,
|: Ein ganzes Jahr und noch viel mehr,
Die Liebe nahm kein Ende mehr. :|

2. Der Knab’ der fuhr ins fremde Land,
Derweil ward ihm sein Mädchen krank,
|: Sie ward so krank bis auf den Tod,
Drei Tag, drei Nacht sprach sie kein Wort. :|

3. Und als der Knab’ die Botschaft kriegt,
Daß sein Herzlieb am Sterben liegt,
|: Verließ er gleich sein Hab und Gut,
Wollt seh’n, was sein Herzliebchen tut. :|

4. Ach Mutter bring’ geschwind ein Licht,
Mein Liebchen stirbt, ich seh’ es nicht,
|: Das war fürwahr ein treuer Husar,
Der liebt’ sein Mädchen ein ganzes Jahr. :|

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 12:44 AM

I hope he appreciated how lucky he was to be with those brave young people. After what he and the rest of the loonie left has said about the military, he really doesn’t rate being there. He hasn’t earned it yet. Not by a long shot.

hawkdriver on February 28, 2009 at 1:20 AM

Johann Klaus, fuer dich, mit anderen Worten.

Entelechy on February 28, 2009 at 1:36 AM

He gives credit to the military for executing their mission with distinction, and rightly so.

He conspicuously fails to credit the leadership of his predecessor for the fortitude and resiliency in the face of withering criticism to implement the policy which the military so impressively carried out.

The mental chain by which Pres’ent Obama strives to resolve the cognitive dissonance of having been a vocal opponent of the strategy whose success he now lauds makes me wish we could obtain transcripts of a person’s thought processes. I expect there would be more than one “yadda-yadda” in there.

Thank the gods President Bush was able to get done what he did before yielding the floor to this greenhorn egotist.

Noocyte on February 28, 2009 at 2:11 AM

Irony of the day:

If America had had a president like Obama during the Civil War, Obama would never have been president.

29Victor on February 28, 2009 at 2:17 AM

Noocyte on February 28, 2009 at 2:11 AM

Yep. I thank God that Bush manged to “get it done” before Obama could screw it up too much (hopefully). After how we ended our part in the Vietnam War, it’s obvious that Democrats are willing to sit by and watch millions and millions die if it gets them political points.

29Victor on February 28, 2009 at 2:19 AM

29Victor on February 28, 2009 at 2:19 AM

Yup. Therein lies my greatest fear about how things might unfold in Iraq: should the security situation begin to unravel in ways that could be interdicted and reversed through a renewed tempo of operations, the Dems could then point to the ‘inherent intractability’ of the situation and bail.

I shudder to think of how Obama could still turn a formidable tiger back into paper with the stroke of a pen.

Noocyte on February 28, 2009 at 2:38 AM

Pretty good speech, considering his pants were on fire.

2Tru2Tru on February 28, 2009 at 2:46 AM

The following takes place between
9:00 A.M. and 10:00 A.M.

09:12:38…
09:12:39…
09:12:40… President Barack Obama announces combat missions end in Iraq by 2010.

09:34:12…
09:34:13…
09:34:14… Iraqi President Jalal Talabani flew to Tehran ,
Iran to meet with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

09:59:58…
09:59:59…
10:00:00…

BDU-33 on February 28, 2009 at 3:51 AM

Terrye on February 27, 2009 at 8:29 PM

What drives me crazy is that people who call the Iraq war a “mistake” never seem to consider what the world would look like today if we hadn’t overthrown Saddam. It’s all hindsight.

capitalist piglet on February 28, 2009 at 4:25 AM

I can’t believe that anyone here would take Obama at his word.

Easydoesit on February 28, 2009 at 6:24 AM

Allah:

I suppose you thought his race speech in Philadelphia was his best up until that time too.

davod on February 28, 2009 at 6:49 AM

I didn’t need to read the Commander in Thief’s speech to the troops…the looks on the troops faces indicated they weren’t buying the snake oil.

philly_nj on February 28, 2009 at 8:08 AM

O to troops : You didn’t win – I won!

Fuquay Steve on February 28, 2009 at 8:14 AM

The man has balls, you have to give him that. I figured it would be months before he would have the nerve to address the troops anywhere. I expected this speech to be given in front of Code Pink and Cindy Sheehan.

He has the words, but not the music. And even the words ring hollow.

I saw his new TV ad for national service last night. That’s what he cares about. You can see the difference in his face. In his mind, people who choose to serve their country in the military are stupid. He wants us all to be community organizers.

rockmom on February 28, 2009 at 8:50 AM

CIC?

No. LIC.

Liar In Charge.

profitsbeard on February 28, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Entelechy on February 28, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Danke!

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 9:41 AM

JiangxiDad on February 27, 2009 at 9:32 PM

I think the point was that the military repects the office of the President no matter who holds it. As far as respecting Obama…your mileage may vary. Some will leave the military others will put the country above self and stay in. If they survived Clintoon they can survive 4 years of Obama standing on their head. At least Obama attempts to respect the Military unlike the Clintoons did.

I’m glad he did what the republicans failed to do. He declared victory and will bring most of our troops out to take the battle to Al Quaida where ever that may be. I may not like what he is doing with the economy but so far so good with the war. Give Obama his due.

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 9:48 AM

rockmom on February 28, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Have noticed how he usually picks Marine Bases for everything from excercise to giving speeches. I’ll tell you this…Marines love him, don’t let anyone tell you different. He is proving to our Marines with actions and orders that show his respect to our military. He is paying the dues and earning their respect in return. Marines are the first to fight and the toughest to sway. He’s winning them over and the rest of the military will follow. Remember the old saying “tell it to the Marines”…well thats what Obama is doing and it’s working. Even you are showing respect by writing “The man has balls, you have to give him that”. You’re right he does and the Marines love him for it.

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Marines love him,
kanda on February 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM

That is not what my son says, especially after Obama snubed the nation’s heroes and “Becomes the First President to Skip Ball Honoring Medal of Honor”. Actions speaks louder than words.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM

JiangxiDad on February 27, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Neither my son nor my grandson are going to re-up and both were offered thirty thousand dollars to re-up.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Afer reading some of the comments here I know you did not listen to the speech. You did not hear the cheers and clapping of the Marines…You not see his face as he gave the speech…you did not hear the tone of his voice. I urge you to go back a view it. You may learn something.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM

That’s right actions speak louder than words. Your son is the victim of scuttlebutt…rumors. Not only did he attent military inaugural balls he hosted one. Only the second president ever to do so…the first being George W. Bush.
I watched the Obama’s attend this ball on TV and it was incredible the reception the military gave them. Watch it for yourself.

Give your son my warmest regards and well wishes and tell him Semper Fi!

from fox news

HONOLULU — President-elect Barack Obama will have a Commander in Chief’s Ball during his inauguration to honor military personnel, their spouses and those wounded fighting in the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In announcing this Thursday, officials said that tickets for the Jan. 20 military-only ball will be free to guests. The formal event will be at the National Business Museum in Washington.

“It is a privilege to honor our men and women in uniform during our inaugural festivities by continuing the tradition of the Commander in Chief’s Ball. Our troops represent the best America has to offer, and without their dedication and sacrifice we would not be able to enjoy the freedoms that we are coming together to celebrate on January 20,” Obama said in a statement released while he vacationed here in his native Hawaii.

“They deserve our thanks and our gratitude. Michelle and I look forward to attending the Commander in Chief’s Ball and sharing this special evening with representatives of our armed forces,” his statement said.

Aides say the featured guests will be active duty military members, active duty National Guard and National Guard Reserve members. The guest list also will featured those injured in military actions, families of those killed in combat and spouses of those deployed.

Obama and wife, Michelle, are scheduled to attend 10 official inaugural balls. Scores of other events are planned for the celebration and crowds variously estimated as high as in the millions are expected to descend on Washington.

President George W. Bush first had a ball to specifically honor the uniformed services.

Officials have not yet determined how tickets will be distributed.

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 10:24 AM

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 10:24 AM

You sound like Obama. “especially after Obama snubed the nation’s heroes and “Becomes the First President to Skip Ball Honoring Medal of Honor”.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I had not noticed, but I do not necessarily think we have a pattern here. I do know that during the campaign Obama refused to attend a town hall debate at Fort Bliss, and when in Germany he turned down an opportunity to visit with thank the wounded. The most notable thing for me was how Obama the candidate threw the troops under the bus during the “surge” to score political points with the radical military hating left. He voted for that bill put forth by Feingold which would have de-funded both wars. (Bush’s first veto, I believe ) That bill would have stopped the resupply of food, ammunition and medical supplies to troops in the field of battle. Think about that. Even Biden voted no on that one! Obama said he voted for the bill “to make a political point”.
I think if one looks at the totality of PBO’s statements and actions regarding the military they indicate a man who falls very short as a CinC. He did get something like 35% of the military vote so no doubt some Marines voted for him, but if you think the USMC on the whole “loves” PBO, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. It’s real cheap.

muggedbyreality on February 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM

crr6 on February 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM

The Anbar awakening would not have been possible without the increase in troops,supply of arms to the tribes that turned on al-qaeda,and the change in ROE that maintained ground to keep al-qaeda from from re-establishing itself.
This was a result of the surge,not some magic energy that just allowed the Anbar residents to fight back against al-qaeda.

If Obama had his way,Anbar would be nothing more than a slaughter house controlled by al-qaeda to fight against the Iran/shia and control of Iraq.

Sadr had total control of Basra with the help of capitulation by British forces in the now well documented agreement between them and Sadr’s militia for them to stay in their camps while Sadr’s forces ran wild.
The Surge accompanied by Maliki’s direction to send Iraqi forces(prematurely at first) defeated Sadr’s forces leaving
him neutered in the area and politically destroyed.
Sadr’s original peace agreement was a result of killing hundreds of shia which seriously marginalized his standing with his own people and turned them against him. It was nothing more than a play to save his own but.
Not until the surge threw him out of Basra was Sadr and his influence defeated in Iraq.

Once again.
If Obama had his way,troops would have already left with defeat,strengthening the jihadist,allowing genocide on an incredible scale,and creating all out war between Iran/shia and the sunni backed by other middle eastern countries.

The war in Iraq was won despite the incredibly poor judgment and political ambitions of Obama and the democratic party.

Obama on Nightline:

Q: If you had to do it over again, knowing what you know now, would you support the surge?

A: No, because, keep in mind that…

Q: You wouldn’t?

A: Keep in mind… These kinds of hypotheticals are very difficult. Hindsight is 20/20. But I think that, what I’m absolutely convinced of, is that at that time we had to change the political debate because the view of the Bush administration at that time was one that I just disagreed with.

What a disgrace

Even given the chance to change is ignorant decision to abandon Iraq,Obama still put politics in front of Freedom and Country.

Baxter Greene on February 28, 2009 at 11:00 AM

muggedbyreality on February 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Shades of Viet Nam

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM

You are on really thin ice, my friend, spreading lies like this. You don’t know what you are talking about. The correct name of the ball of which you speak is the “Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball”. 14 previous presidents have attended it. OBama did not. This ball is “unofficial” and is held by the American Legion. This year Joe Biden and his wife attended.

What you don’t or won’t admit is that Obama held his own “official” military inaugural ball that he did attend which invited all the MOH recipients. The Military had their own real ball for only the 2nd time in history after GWB started the tradition.
If you ever have a question in the future rather than believe rumors and lies I suggest you go to factcheck.org and well…check it out before you spread unfounded lies.

If you’re not too lazy check it out yourself Make sure you read the complete answer all the way to the end. I hate to say it but I classify you as a sheep blindly following the herd…repeating lies and bleeting your way though life. Do I still sound like Obama to you?

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. It’s real cheap.

muggedbyreality on February 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM

You’re too late. I just bought one yesterday. I’m thinking I overpaid…..ha ha.

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Lying by omission.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 11:32 AM

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Did you sleep better after you voted for Obama?

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Another first.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Shades of Viet Nam

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Johan,
All I can say is we were winning when I left. I think pulling out the American troops and abandoning our ally may have contributed to the North Vietnameses taking over. After 9 years of fighting in Vietnam with our hands tied behind our back even I was sick of it. The real lessen is when the american people collectively lose the will to win get our troops out. Do it quick and save lives. We can debate how the democrats screwed up Vietnam til the cows come home…it ain’t the same thing now so don’t disgrace our military by making that comparison. Obama os not going to leave out forces their to be slaughtered until someone with guts pulls them out. Our military won Iraq. Let the politicians screw it up by snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. That is what was happening. That is the comparison to vietnam that is reality.

(by the way…for your benefit…I don’t spell two gud and I don’t care…If you make fun of it agin I still won’t care but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night) ;)

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 11:45 AM

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Sorry, most of us realize factcheck.org is a fallacious site. The fact that you recommend it indicates who you are.

It is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania, and is funded primarily by the Annenberg Foundation.[1]

It’s a propaganda branch of Obama’s.

This occurred last year in the campaign:

Unmitigated Garbage from FactCheck.org on Obama’s Second Amendment Record

INC on February 28, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM
Another first.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Man you must really be uptight. Now your <– warning a mistakeyou are arguing with yourself. Relax, take a breath…this is the internet and our lives do not depent <— uh oh another mistakedepend of <—- uh no not another oneon it. Enjoy your day and remember God loves you. Do you have a reading comprehension Problem? Can you listen? I hope you get over both those issue soon.

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 11:53 AM

INC on February 28, 2009 at 11:52 AM

We all have choices to make in life. I guess you made yours. When you automatically disregard those whom you don’t agree then you miss the opportunity to improve and never learn from your mistakes and are doomed to repeat them. There are other sources to verify it. Look for them.

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 11:57 AM

That’s true we do have choices. You choose to promote a site with ties to Obama that has been proven fallacious.

INC on February 28, 2009 at 12:03 PM

INC on February 28, 2009 at 12:03 PM

okay you win. I give up. I surrender. The fact remains Johan is spreading lies and others are repeating them and no one has provided proof to the contrary.

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Surely as a liberal, you can think of better names to call me than “lazy” and “uptight”, and having a “reading ”
comprehension problem”.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 12:25 PM

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM

And “Liar”.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM

True or false?

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 12:33 PM

comprehension problem”.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I’ll take back uptight but you have to admit it is pretty funny when you quote yourself to support your argument.

I didn’t say you were lazy I said if you are not too lazy check it out. Did you check it out?

And “Liar”.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 12:27 PM

What you are saying is not the truth. Is that a lie and dos that make you a liar? Only you know the truth.

Look Johan, lets not make it personal. I take it all back and apologize.

The fact remains that the truth of the matter is not what you have said. The proof is out there and you seem to ignore it. So what’s the point of continuing?

Seriously have a nice day.

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM
True or false?

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Go back and read my previous posts and go to the videos and websites I point to. There you will find the answer to your question. I’m not going to keep repeating it to someone who refuses to at least respect my position as worthy of listening to. You automatically assume you are right but sadly you are mistaken and do yourself a great injustice by holding a position that many know to be incorrect.

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 12:46 PM

it was with utter amazement and astonishment that I watched him speak in front of the marines on the success of the surge and their mission. Here is where Obama stood on the issue of the surge

On Jan. 10, 2007, the day President Bush called for an additional 21,500 troops to try to stabilize Iraq, Obama spoke out against the plan and predicted it would fail to stop the violence.

“I am not persuaded that 20,000 additional troops in Iraq is going to solve the sectarian violence there,” he told MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann. “In fact, I think it will do the reverse. I think it takes pressure off the Iraqis to arrive at the sort of political accommodation that every observer believes is the ultimate solution to the problems we face there. So I am going to actively oppose the president’s proposal.”

He followed through on that promise on Feb. 17, 2007, when he voted to support a bill expressing that “Congress disapproves of the decision of President George W. Bush announced on January 10, 2007, to deploy more than 20,000 additional United States combat troops to Iraq.” The motion failed in a vote of 56 yeas to 34 nays, with three-fifths required to move it forward.

Obama continued to predict the surge would not prompt the sort of political reconciliation necessary to end violence in Iraq.

On July 18, 2007, Obama told Matt Lauer on NBC’s Today Show, “My assessment is that the surge has not worked and we will not see a different report eight weeks from now.”

pc25 on February 28, 2009 at 12:57 PM

lostinjrz on February 28, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Your observation is brilliant. I think you are partly correct. I think Obama feels both sympathy (empathy) and Pride for our troops. So no, you are not alone.

I vote your post the best post of the entire thred. Kudos!

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 1:02 PM

pc25 on February 28, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Another excellent post. Obama ate a lot of crow yesterday over those statements. I pity the left. He sucked them in hook, line, and sinker. If only he wasn’t destroying the economic sytem of the nation….

Great post. Kudos!

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I think Obama and Oprah and all the other left-leaning folks pity the troops like they pity all the other identity groups. To them, calling someone a victim is the highest compliment.

Oprah visited Walter Reed and it was a big pity fest. She just couldn’t understand how they would “do it all again” even if it resulted in injury. No matter how many times she tried to get a bitter answer, she couldn’t. But she finally found one lady who feels sorry for herself, and she put her on the show in a starring role. Yuck!

PattyJ on February 28, 2009 at 1:07 PM

PattyJ on February 28, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I don’t know how they know but they know. Oprah can smell the whiners in a crowd of thousands. That’s her job I guess.
Please do yourself a favor. Never try to understand the mind of a liberal.

You make another excellent point about how lefty’s think about victims disadvantaged groups. Kudos

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 1:13 PM

PattyJ on February 28, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Sorry I misquoted your original post. This is the coreected one.

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Got the job done. Got the job done.

How about “you won“?

LibTired on February 28, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Anyway… “got the job done”. Isn’t that another way of saying “Mission Accomplished”?

LibTired on February 28, 2009 at 3:38 PM

I’m not going to listen to the speech, I heard enough about it on the radio. I heard that he got through half an hour without saying the words “victory” or “win” or “democracy” in the entire speech. Instead he just told the troops how sad their suffering was, and how much we appreciated them as people. This man is bad news, America.

joe_doufu on February 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 12:40 PM

You made it personal and if you check the news reports you will find that Obama snubed the nation’s heroes and “Becomes the First President to Skip Ball Honoring Medal of Honor”. Like it or not it does not change the fact.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 6:13 PM

The American Legion sponsors the ball, which recognizes recipients of Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award. It started in 1953 for President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s first inauguration.

Event co-sponsors include 13 other veterans service organizations, among them the Military Order of the Purple Heart and the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

Barack Obama became the first U.S. president to skip out on the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball since its inception in 1953. The event recognizes recipients of the military’s highest award – the Medal of Honor – and as The Cleveland Leader previously reported, over the past 56 years and 14 inaugurations, no President has failed to appear at this event until now. Following the breaking of this news, there have been some misconceptions and erroneous information floating around. The American Legion, one of the main sponsors of the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball, issued a statement making it clear once and for all that Barack Obama did not in fact attend the event.

Nuff said.

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Johan Klaus on February 28, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Of course he didn’t attend. Don’t you read my posts. I told you that many posts ago. The reason when you say he dissed MOH recipientsand heros is a distortion which was also told to you I pointed to videos to prove what I said.You simply ignore the truth. Try again, go back and start over. Maybe you will come to your senses and be a man and admit you were mistaken. I don’t hold out much hope of that but you never know.

It’s nice that you quote something without attributing it to the original source. Did you write it yourself? You previously tried to quote yourself as a source to support your argument and then got huffy when I called you on it. I take it you failed to actually go to see the videos I pointed you to or researched the American Legion information I pointed you to. My guess is your unnamed source if not yourself cutting and pasting half the truth from a legitimate site is anothe blogger. There is no credibility in your position and any educated person can see that. I’m not sure what your point is except to try to take a positive action Obama makes and turn it into a negative. Thats why you lost credibility. You beat a dead horse then beat it some more. You are deliberately distorting the truth and you know it. It’s too bad your credibility is shot because it is apparent that you have been blind to the truth from the get go by choice. May I ask why? What are you afraid of? Does your hatred of Obama overpower your ability to tell the truth at any cost. Isn’t there enough things he really does wrong to fill your plate? Why do you need to resort to distortions and lies about him? You are like a broken record stuck in the same track just repeating the same distortion over and over. No matter how many times you say the lie it will never be the truth.

kanda on February 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM

LibTired on February 28, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Yep you are right it is. He must really have the left wingnuts petrified of what other lies he told them to get elected.
I’m lovin it….