Obama to troops: “You got the job done” in Iraq

posted at 6:08 pm on February 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

No need to respond with the obvious point; Romney already made it eloquently today at CPAC. Here’s The One’s surreal address at Camp Lejeune this morning, announcing a hard and fast deadline of August 31, 2010 for the end of our “combat mission” in Iraq. Does that mean all combat troops are out by that date? Maybe not: Rep. John McHugh was reassured by Obama himself that the plan will change as the security situation does. And so the fine line between a timetable strategy and a conditions-based strategy grows finer still. No wonder the GOP’s happy with it.

If you’re not up for 28 minutes of Obamamania, I encourage you to read the transcript. Against all odds, I think this is the best speech The One’s delivered yet — despite the fact that it is, as I say, utterly surreal. Remember, this is the guy who said last summer that if he had it to do over again, he’d still oppose the surge; who declared the dream of Iraqi democracy hopeless in November 2006; and who insisted in 2002, at the end of the anti-war speech celebrated by progressives far and wide, that troops killed in Iraq will have died in vain. That was candidate Obama. Today it’s commander-in-chief Obama, so we get stirring passages like this:

Thanks in great measure to your service, the situation in Iraq has improved. Violence has been reduced substantially from the horrific sectarian killing of 2006 and 2007. Al Qaeda in Iraq has been dealt a serious blow by our troops and Iraq’s Security Forces, and through our partnership with Sunni Arabs. The capacity of Iraq’s Security Forces has improved, and Iraq’s leaders have taken steps toward political accommodation. The relative peace and strong participation in January’s provincial elections sent a powerful message to the world about how far Iraqis have come in pursuing their aspirations through a peaceful political process…

Now, before I go any further, I want to take a moment to speak directly to the people of Iraq.

You are a great nation, rooted in the cradle of civilization. You are joined together by enduring accomplishments, and a history that connects you as surely as the two rivers carved into your land. In years past, you have persevered through tyranny and terror; through personal insecurity and sectarian violence. And instead of giving in to the forces of disunion, you stepped back from a descent into civil war, and showed a proud resilience that deserves respect.

Our nations have known difficult times together. But ours is a bond forged by shared bloodshed, and countless friendships among our people. We Americans have offered our most precious resource – our young men and women – to work with you to rebuild what was destroyed by despotism; to root out our common enemies; and to seek peace and prosperity for our children and grandchildren, and for yours…

And so I want to be very clear: We sent our troops to Iraq to do away with Saddam Hussein’s regime – and you got the job done. We kept our troops in Iraq to help establish a sovereign government – and you got the job done. And we will leave the Iraqi people with a hard-earned opportunity to live a better life – that is your achievement; that is the prospect that you have made possible.

I can only assume he says “you” instead of “we” because even an ego as robust as Obama’s won’t tolerate credit-sharing on a project he inveighed against for so long.

Skip ahead to 25:20 and at least watch his tribute to Cpl. Jonathan Yale and Lance Cpl. Justin Haerter, two heroes who, evidently, didn’t die in vain after all. “Semper fidelis” indeed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

FO Obama.

jake-the-goose on February 27, 2009 at 6:10 PM

FO Obama.

Terrific.

Allahpundit on February 27, 2009 at 6:12 PM

What was the troops’ reaction as he spoke? That can’t be sensed from the transcript.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2009 at 6:13 PM

So…we now fight for….mediocrity?

PappaMac on February 27, 2009 at 6:14 PM

No need to respond with the obvious point

Would that be “No thanks to you Mr. President”?

I’ll say it anyway.

BadgerHawk on February 27, 2009 at 6:14 PM

He says whatever people want to hear. I am done with this guy. I can’t wait for 2012 when he is gone.

jencab on February 27, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Terrific.

Allahpundit on February 27, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I’m sure it doesn’t mean what you think it means…

BadgerHawk on February 27, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Monica Crowley today on the radio:

I pine for Mitt Romney.

Me, too, Monica.

Disturb the Universe on February 27, 2009 at 6:14 PM

About time.

The Dean on February 27, 2009 at 6:14 PM

“Mission Accomplished”

Must be like the “N-word” (boogah-boogah, AP), only blacks can use the term without Nutroots heads exploding.

(acceptable and PC enough now AllahPundit?)

omnipotent on February 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I turned it off during the part where he was talking about the two young men that died. He seemed to be having trouble remembering their names – and I found it distasteful that he was using their deaths in his propaganda.

Anna on February 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM

It has been a perfect plan all along: declare a victory and get out. Obama is right to implement it.

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM

We sent our troops to Iraq to do away with Saddam Hussein’s regime

What do you mean “we,” Mr Surge-denier?

I will admit it comes off better in print than it did when delivered in that arrogant, clipped, almost-angry tone the child-president adopts.

But it was still a load of BS.

MrScribbler on February 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I happen to know of a combat unit currently scheduled to deploy to Iraq in late spring 2010. I’ve been trying to square that circle for about two weeks with no luck.

BadgerHawk on February 27, 2009 at 6:16 PM

And don’t think those fine Marines don’t know the difference…

ladyingray on February 27, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Anna on February 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM

“I have a bracelet too.”

BadgerHawk on February 27, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Let’s repeat what Romney said:

On the day Obama announces plans to pull troops from Iraq, Romney praises the plan but renews the attack on Obama’s opposition the the surge:

“It is in spite of Barack Obama’s stance that the troops are coming home in victory — not because of it,” he told CPAC.

Obama makes me ill.

INC on February 27, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Obama: “Hey, I have a bracelet too.”

carbon_footprint on February 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Anna on February 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Reminds me of how he told McCain in the first debate, “I have a bracelet too.” Then he had to read the bracelet to get the soldier’s name.
What a jerk.

jencab on February 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM

BadgerHawk on February 27, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Sorry, you beat me to it.

carbon_footprint on February 27, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Gotta admit, Barry sure knows audacity.

Christien on February 27, 2009 at 6:19 PM

I found it distasteful that he was using their deaths in his propaganda.

Indeed. Using deaths is only acceptable when you send more people to die to avoid others having died “in vain”.

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Sorry, you beat me to it.

carbon_footprint on February 27, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Show me your Palin bikini shot to repent.

BadgerHawk on February 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM

What we will not do is let the pursuit of the perfect stand in the way of achievable goals.

I wonder if Mom would have bought this line when I brought home that “F”?

karl9000 on February 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM

I believe he means it. Iraq had no use to Obama beyond the campaign.

If it weren’t for our troops, he’d have to take time out from destroying our futures with his domestic plan.

Chuck Schick on February 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM

It never matters what the Precedent says. He is a natural liar. We all know what he wants. … At least, most of us do.

progressoverpeace on February 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Breaking: We won. Even Obama says so.

BadgerHawk on February 27, 2009 at 6:22 PM

How can someone who has been against the war say the troops are coming home with honor when he never supported their mission to begin with?

Shouldn’t he say the troops are coming home in disgrace from “an occupation of undetermined length, with undetermined costs and undetermined consequences”?

modnar on February 27, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I really, really hate this man.

ladyingray on February 27, 2009 at 6:23 PM

This guy has a “major” speech everyday. I am sick of him.

jencab on February 27, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I wonder if Mom would have bought this line when I brought home that “F”?

karl9000 on February 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM

No, moms of conservatives don’t let their kids get away with lying like that.

INC on February 27, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Better late (and cynical) than never.

spmat on February 27, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Huffpo’s are mad that a reporter on CNN referred to the soldiers response to Obambi as “tepid”. “I wonder if she ever described gw’s military audiences as ‘tepid’?

Fact is the military adored George Bush and Obambi and his cult can never take that away.

ctmom on February 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM

FO Obama.

Terrific.

Allahpundit on February 27, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Lovely.

juanito on February 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Not in the middle of enemy territory. Better to blend in and not stick out.

karl9000 on February 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM

What the hell is Mr. Teleprompter doing traveling all over the country making campaign speeches…………..

…………… I thought he was going to be going through all the budget and spending bills, “line by line” and put and “end to wasteful spending”?

Seven Percent Solution on February 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM

The Iraq war never happened.

RadioFreeUSA on February 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM

You think those troops behind him are a fair and random sampling of the military?

Grafted on February 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM

From a commentator:

O – One
B – Big
A – Ass
M – Mistake
A – America

JVelez on February 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM

The guy is so full of sh(t.
When it served his purposes he was willing to take a big piss on all of those soldiers and the Iraqis too.
That’s what you call talking out of both sides of your mouth.

How did this happen….?

NeoKong on February 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Show me your Palin bikini shot to repent.

BadgerHawk on February 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Sorry. I was so upset after the election that I deleted all the goodies.

carbon_footprint on February 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM

So Dubbya is really The One?

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 6:26 PM

And so I want to be very clear

Makes me yearn for “my friends”. I can’t take this hypocritical phrase for four more years.

sherry on February 27, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Breaking: We won. Even Obama says so.

Excellent. Let’s get out!

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 6:26 PM

This guy has a “major” speech everyday. I am sick of him.

jencab on February 27, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Wait until he gets on TV/Radio for 6-8 hours at a stretch ala Castro. It’s only a matter of time.

Ack, barf.

tru2tx on February 27, 2009 at 6:27 PM

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Sure beats Barry’s plan 2 years ago: Oppose surge, declare defeat, get out, get let country collapse, blame Bush.

Chuck Schick on February 27, 2009 at 6:27 PM

So now leaving 50,000 in Iraq and sending 18,000 more to Afghanistan is considered “Getting Out”.

Got it!

PappaMac on February 27, 2009 at 6:27 PM

I’m taken aback by Barry’s pro-bellum stagecraft.

Christien on February 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM

ladyingray on February 27, 2009 at 6:23 PM
jencab on February 27, 2009 at 6:23 PM

You know, I didn’t like Carter and I couldn’t stand Clinton, but when Obama starts talking I see a Marxist Chicago thug who hates my country and is trying to destroy it.

INC on February 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM

My first thoughts went to how furious Cindy Sheehan must be, and my second ones were a nicher version of jake-the-goose.

This Hypocrite-in-Chief will take credit for winning the war. Mark these words. Subtly he’ll make the world believe that he was the catalyst toward victory.

Yeah, fark him.

Entelechy on February 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Terrific.

Allahpundit on February 27, 2009 at 6:12 PM

It means Fantastic Oratory, Allah. Duh.

Kensington on February 27, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Seven Percent Solution on February 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM

He’s got “people.”

genso on February 27, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Seven Percent Solution on February 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I keep wondering when he’s going to stay in D.C. and stop wasting our money flying Air Force One around the country to get his campaign crowd fix.

INC on February 27, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I wonder if this Pres. has even the slightest clue that if he pulls out just one man or one woman just one day too early and any kind of catastrophe happens that every person lost from the beginning of the war to the last person who dies, Iraqi, American or Bugaloosa Joe, will be his legacy, alone?

Speakup on February 27, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Excellent. Let’s get out!

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 6:26 PM

You don’t pay very close attention. What do you think President Obama’s speech today was about?

BadgerHawk on February 27, 2009 at 6:31 PM

“Al Qaeda in Iraq has been dealt a serious blow by our troops and Iraq’s Security Forces, and through our partnership with Sunni Arabs. The capacity of Iraq’s Security Forces has improved, and Iraq’s leaders have taken steps toward political accommodation.”

I question the attribution of success and partnerships maintained here.

Otis B on February 27, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I agree. Can we get out now?

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 6:32 PM

And so I want to be very clear…

This simply says he hasn’t been up to that point. The problem is, he still isn’t after that point…

karl9000 on February 27, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Disgrace.

christene on February 27, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Where’s the part when he mentions his predecessor for leading these wonderful troops in all those complex fights, and through all those sacrifices?

What an ungracious Oaf-in-Chief we have.

Clinton, Bill, is looking more and more presidential.

Grace is indignant.

Hagiology is on the rise.

Be fooled at the cost of your own children, gnats.

Entelechy on February 27, 2009 at 6:34 PM

This speech, no matter how surreal, will not inspire the man crush you are expecting.

Kini on February 27, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Lincoln was called Honest Abe.

Entelechy on February 27, 2009 at 6:36 PM

It means Fantastic Oratory, Allah. Duh.

Kensington on February 27, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Well,,,,, no it doesn’t – at least not in my house.

jake-the-goose on February 27, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Aim high there, brother! Aim high!!

God! What an embarrassment this no-op is. This is what people meant when they said they wanted the US to have more respect in the world?

Fed45 on February 27, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Ok – when’s the carrier landing??? I assume that the famous banner is still available…

capitulus on February 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Stop campaigning, start working. How embarrassing.

Mason on February 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM

So, Allah, what conclusions do you draw from this? You just leave it hanging in the post.

progressoverpeace on February 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I’m going to keep that last paragraph Allah quoted on file so I can bring it out every time a liberal even hints that we “lost” the war or that it is was a failure.

Classy of Obama to go further in acknowledging success than I ever expected. Still, I’d like him to declare victory on Sept 1, 2010.

Nessuno on February 27, 2009 at 6:40 PM

this is a good thing, once you get over the surreal part. Of course you understand the cynical left is laughing that Obama is throwing some meat and duping the knuckle dragging right. With that said that policies are good in regards to Iraq right now.

rob verdi on February 27, 2009 at 6:40 PM

not for nothing, it wouldve helped bush a hell of a lot if he had articulated a message to the iraqi people like that.

ernesto on February 27, 2009 at 6:41 PM

radiofreevillage on February 27, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Afghanistan lurks.

a capella on February 27, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Obama said there would be military pay raises and I am all for that. Hopefully that line won’t have the standard expiration date.

The rest is just Obama theatre.

myrenovations on February 27, 2009 at 6:41 PM

capitulus on February 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM

It is, but he doesn’t have much to fill those pants with, and he can’t fly.

Entelechy on February 27, 2009 at 6:41 PM

I cannot bring myself to watch this media fiction. I’d have a hard time not sabotaging his teleprompter.

Theworldisnotenough on February 27, 2009 at 6:41 PM

PARTIAL LIST OF DOCUMENTS THAT BARACK OBAMA REFUSES TO RELEASE -. OBAMA’S SECRECY AND “CLOSED RECORDS” POLICY
Indonesian Passport – Not released
Application for U.S. Citizenship (as former citizen of Indonesia) – Not released
Immigration Records – Not released
Baptism Certificate – None
Medical Records – Not released
Illinois State Senate Records – Not released
Law Practice Client List – Not released
University of Chicago Scholarly Articles – None

searcher484 on February 27, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Join the resistance – refuse to recognize the usurper Obama as President — http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=89837

searcher484 on February 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM

ernesto on February 27, 2009 at 6:41 PM

That’s a fair point. Getting a clear message out was never President Bush’s strong point, nor did it seem like it was ever a priority. Shame.

BadgerHawk on February 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Bambi was a citizen of Indonesia. He is probably already being blackmailed by Muslims who could make public his immigration and passport records –.expect to see more millions and billions of U.S. taxpayer money sent to terrorist Muslim nations

searcher484 on February 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Barack to Iraq: drop dead.

PattyJ on February 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I’m really sorry about this but…

Ok – when’s the carrier landing???

…won’t there be a …gulp… USS Obama pretty soon?

Oh dear God, please make me pay for that.

karl9000 on February 27, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Yeah, I was wondering where the hell that “WE” came from.
Fucking asshole.

GarandFan on February 27, 2009 at 6:44 PM

searcher484 on February 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM

You’re not going to last long here.

BadgerHawk on February 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM

You see, Mr. Pundit. This is why this speech is so insulting. You know he doesn’t mean it; well, ok, perhaps you have doubt that he really means it. But I know he doesn’t really mean it, the troops know it, and we know that The Obama thinks we’ll believe him when he says it. That’s the insult; he thinks we’re stupid.

You, I’m not so sure about.

Skandia Recluse on February 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Oh, and call me cynical, but I don’t believe him one bit about caring for military families. He doesn’t care about anyone but himself.

Anna on February 27, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Wouldn’t it be delicious if he finally has to prove his eligibility because of those two soldiers? I don’t even care if he proves to be natural-born after all, I would just like him to know that many of us detest and distrust him, and that rules apply.

Fortunata on February 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM

searcher484 on February 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM

We get it………

……… try another Blog, or send it in an e-mail as an Op-Ed to every paper in the country.

That should keep you busy for a little while…….

Seven Percent Solution on February 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Military service should be mandatory to run for president.

Johan Klaus on February 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM

searcher484 on February 27, 2009 at 6:42 PM

WOW!
So that’s why Hussein is kissing so many butts.

christene on February 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Read Obama’s book – his own words – he was adopted in Indonesia, and he carried an Indonesian passport as an adult. Then read the Constitutional citizenship requirements for POTUS. Obama DOES NOT qualify. Only the Supreme Court can enforce the Constitution and they are giving Obama a ‘pass” (at least for now) because of political blowback from taking on Bush v. Gore in 2000.

searcher484 on February 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM

…won’t there be a …gulp… USS Obama pretty soon?

Oh dear God, please make me pay for that.

karl9000 on February 27, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Well, we did comission the USS Jimmy Carter. Submarin-ally, of course.

Good Lord, the CVN Obama? Please. I doubt he even understands the concept.

Otis B on February 27, 2009 at 6:50 PM

It’s not too late – the American people must remove Bambi from office on the citizenship issue – force him to disclose his former Indonesian citizenship —

searcher484 on February 27, 2009 at 6:50 PM

No one can refute ONE fact I have stated… Obama himself ADMITS he was a citizen of Indonesia. Case closed – ineligible for POTUS. It’s that simple – forget the birth certificate.

searcher484 on February 27, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Words for the wise:
Obama says whatever his audience wants to hear. When he was such a genius by saying that we shouldn’t go to Iraq, he was talking to an anti-war rally in Chicago.
When he had an interview with a Christian magazine, “oh, uh… I go to church 3 times a month,” then when we find out that his pastor is racist, “well, how should I know. I’m only there 1-2 times a month”
He’s not dumb… he knew what reverend Wright was all about. He just stayed at that church for political reasons.

Glenn Jericho on February 27, 2009 at 6:51 PM

FYI – the Obama “birth certificate” shown on his web site is not authentic. First of all. there were no computer-printed certificates in 1961, the year Obama was born. So why does he have a computer-printed birth document, when real birth 1961 birth certificates were produced with typewriters? In addition, an authentic birth certificate states the name of hospital of birth, the name of the attending physician (with signature), and the address of the parents. The document Obama presents as his “birth certificate” does not contain any of that essential information. Why?

searcher484 on February 27, 2009 at 6:51 PM

karl9000 on February 27, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Bad Karl, bad Karl.

Johan Klaus on February 27, 2009 at 6:52 PM

What, did they finish air-raiding and bombing civilians?

promachus on February 27, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Why does Obama have a team of lawyers whose sole duty is to prevent access to his immigration, U.S. naturalization, passport and college records? Why has he sealed those records from all public access? Why has he spent over $800,000 in legal fees already to hide his personal records? What information is he so desperate to hide from the American public?

searcher484 on February 27, 2009 at 6:52 PM

searcher484 on February 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Keep it up, searcher. I think it is important for all to know how much the Precedent is hiding. Hopefully, the suit by the military personnel (now joined by a retired general) will force the courts to look at the legitimate arguments that the idiot messiah is ineligible.

progressoverpeace on February 27, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Obama says whatever his audience wants to hear.

Glenn Jericho on February 27, 2009 at 6:51

You know what he’s not? A strong supporter of defense, for whatever reason.

A-freaking-mericans will wake up to this eventually, and start to figure things out.

Otis B on February 27, 2009 at 6:54 PM

We will NEVER give up until Obama is forced to let the public see his basic personal records: immigration, passport, and birth certificate.

searcher484 on February 27, 2009 at 6:54 PM