Joe the Plumber at D.C. Tea Party: No one on the Hill gives a rip about you

posted at 4:10 pm on February 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

Even I’m not so cynical as to believe that, but he’s entirely right to credit the boss for her tireless work in promoting the Tea Parties. She’s been Twittering contact info on this stuff for days and dropped by the D.C. festivities herself this afternoon. Click for photos and video of that, or go here for her coverage of Parties around the country. I like the “No Taxation Without Deliberation” sign best; read Jonah Goldberg’s piece today at NRO for a shrewd gloss on the haste to make waste.

More coverage at Instapundit. Exit question: How many of you followed DeMint’s advice to CPAC and “took to the streets” today?

Update: Another good sign here. You’ll know it when you see it.

Update: A fair question from lorien1973 in the comments: “In reality, though. These tea parties are pointless. They have no direction. What do they want to accomplish with them?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Count me amongst those who think that the biggest mistake that conservatives have made over past several decades is not taking to the streets to make their voices heard. This is one of the few issues where I couldn’t disagree with Rush Limbaugh more.

First of all, I don’t buy into the idea that liberals have plenty of time to attend protest rallies because they’re all a bunch of unemployed, smelly hippies who have nothing better to do, while conservatives are all busy living productive lives and can’t be bothered with re-creating 1968. In addition to being an inaccurate stereotype, it’s a cop out.

I’m not saying that conservatives should be constantly protesting every little thing that bothers them. I’m saying that they should pick their spots and mount some massive protests on key issues. The example that I like to use is when the NY Times gave away government secrets that were being used to track down terrorists. The NY Times headquarters is in midtown Manhattan one block away from Times Sqaure. Imagine if a million conservative protesters had shown up in Time Square denouncing the Times as traitors. Instead of mobilizing in this manner, we waited around for the Bush administration to go after the Times, and then we wrung our hands when that didn’t happen.

By not taking to the streets we conservatives give people the impression that only liberals are passionate about politics. It’s that much easier for liberals to make the case that conservatives are selfish and heartless and only care about money if we’re incapable of organizing on a grassroots level and making our voices heard without expecting some sort of instant result in exchange for our troubles.

Look at all the anti-war protests that liberals staged over the past seven years. Did any one protest lead to the withdrawl of troops? No! But they had a culmulutive effect of creating the impression that lots of people were opposed to war and very angry about it. So when the insurgency got really bad it was easier for people to decide that the war was a mistake. Imagine if there were no anti-war protests at all. Can anyone honestly say that the average American would not be less inclined to start doubting whether the war was a mistake?

We need a new fangled version of the Religious Right for the 21st century. We need a movement that appeals to common decency and common sense. A movement that appeals to parents who enjoyed their fair share of sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll, but don’t want their 12 year daughter dressing like a prostitute. There’s a lot of closeted conservatives who are closeted because they don’t even know that they’re conservatives. A grassroots movement could inspire these people to discover their true political leanings.

ardenenoch on February 27, 2009 at 5:46 PM

I have an idea. The protesters should start demanding that the Porkulus be repealed, rescinded or whatever the right word is. GOP already promised that if they get re-elected in 2010, they will cancel the spendulus. Why wait till 2010? The protests should have an object of getting the spendulus canceled.

I know AP will say it ‘ll never happen but of course because it’s such a tough goal, it’s worth fighting for. Let the protests become about achieving something and they’ll get bigger n bigger until even Obot cannot ignore them. Let all honest taxpayers stop paying their mortgage next month, or stop filing your tax returns in April.

Finally, regardless of whatever is achieved, this is also a wonderful opportunity for the conservatives to learn to protest. Libs are so damn good at it. Most of the Bush year liberal crap was born in the Seattle protests. Similarly, the latter day conservatism will be born from today’s protests.

*Those who fight for tomorrow, live in it today. *– Ayn Rand.

promachus on February 27, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Jenfidel. Sarah is part of the problem. She, during the campaign, supporting increasing the fund for special needs kids from $8 billion to $40 billion. She’s part of the problem.

Quite honestly, I never heard her say this; I only heard her say (several times) that parents of special needs children would have an advocate in the White House, meaning herself.
If she did call for special funding for special needs kids, it was the ONE thing she wanted funds for, not this grab bag of Leftist goodies that Obama has that is seemingly bottomless: cap & trade, green jobs, shovel ready jobs,
paying bad mortgages, supporting the car companies, punishing the rich, health care insurance, yet more billions for education, etc, etc,etc.
McCain as a big spender on similar stupid stuff I’ll give you, but not Palin.
Not going to do it.

You gotta be intellectually honest. She isn’t. McCain isn’t.

Sorry, but I think she is intellectually honest and politically consistent.
Further, if you called her on it, she’d give you a response you could live with.

I dunno who is, but the names everyone throws out there aren’t it. So me? I’m all about tanking it.

I think Bobby Jindal’s honest, too..and for the most part, Fred.
Even Rudy’s honest, even when he’s wrong or not as Conservative as some would like him to be.
Seriously, Obama is *such* a liar, he kinda makes Clinton look honest(!).

Let’s reach the logical end game sooner, rather than later. Let it burn – was my mantra in October, it’s still that today.

lorien1973 on February 27, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Slow down, William Ayres!
The logical end game is that we save and keep the Republic, not burn it.
We owe it to ourselves, to future generations and to all who’ve sacrificed their lives in the past to preserve this great Republic.
Remember Reagan: America is that shining city on the hill, even under the dung heap just created.

Jenfidel on February 27, 2009 at 5:48 PM

“Stimulus” bill……………………..$878 billion
Omnibus spending bill…………….$410 billion (covering four months)
President Obama’s proposed budget*…….$3.6 trillion!!!!!

None of these qualify Jon?????

Or do you mean like Obama claiming martial law?

Rovin on February 27, 2009

Oh yeah Rovin, these DO qualify as huge and vast misdeeds but the public hardly knows the meat of the sausage and perhaps because they are so huge there’s a tendency toward numbness. Still to this date there’s no one VISCERAL thing that would actually make the average guy take up arms.

I certainly don’t want to see an armed rebellion take place in america but I would like to see the level of passion required to get people off their butts and out of the cozy, coddled mindset.

JonPrichard on February 27, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I liked the sign held by the little girl,
“I’ve read as much of the stimulus bill as my congressman”. So sad to be true.

VikingGoneWild on February 27, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Absolutely right, but the thing was that the vast majority of the arguments in favor of the bailout were not rooted in fiscal conservatism. It therefore was fundamentally not conservative to support them.

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2009 at 5:31 PM

We agree, hence my comments about some so-called conservatives not having the courage of their convictions when things got tough. If they would have had the courage of their convictions, they never would have been willing to go along with any of it.

thirteen28 on February 27, 2009 at 5:50 PM

But, somehow, he redeemed himself? If this redeemed, I’d rather them not be.

lorien1973 on February 27, 2009 at 5:39 PM

He changed the course of the war with that one action and before turning was a huge force for good. If what he did wasn’t enough to redeem himself, then he’s irredeemable.

That’s a fine case to make, but I’m not arguing that such a thing exists.

Esthier on February 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I, for one, can’t believe the apathy some of you have.

It’s worse than apathy. It’s raining on the parade. It’s trying to convince people that they can’t do anything about anything, and might as well shut up and watch TV.

Nothing starts big. I think this will have legs.

Alana on February 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Those colonists really shouldn’t have revolted. I mean really…what’s the point?

ornery_independent on February 27, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Yes there is. It’s the paying for other people’s mortgages thing.

Alana on February 27, 2009 at 5:58 PM

*Those who fight for tomorrow, live in it today. *– Ayn Rand.

promachus on February 27, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Marvelous quote! Thanks for sharing!
I think I’ll be reading “Atlas Shrugs” for the 3rd time (while I live it in real life!).

Jenfidel on February 27, 2009 at 5:58 PM

It’s sad how ‘conservatives’ can never be bothered to get off their butts. Silly online petitions – check. Ranting on message boards – absolutely. Actually pulling themselves away from must-see-tv – not so much.

capitulus on February 27, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Because ‘conservatives’ are the ones with the jobs that are keeping this country afloat and paying for your messiah’s bloated spending projects. Liberal scum, like yourself, are perpetual students, still live with their parents, haven’t gotten out of the 60′s, so you have TIME to protest. You are a drag on the human race.

HornetSting on February 27, 2009 at 5:59 PM

It is up to the people to protest. Our legislators must fight the good fight, but through their legislative means; in the same vein, a future Republican president must fight by way of the bully pulpit. In other words, our leaders must uphold the dignity of their office(s), but we must do this work because we have no such restrictions.

youngTXcon on February 27, 2009 at 6:01 PM

HornetSting on February 27, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Y’know, after dealing with our newest Troll all day, I’ve finely decided who reminds me of…my last wife. She was arrogant, condescending, and obnoxious, too.

kingsjester on February 27, 2009 at 6:02 PM

*Those who fight for tomorrow, live in it today. *– Ayn Rand.

promachus on February 27, 2009 at 5:46 PM

That’s actually a great idea, because it forces Obama and the democrats to keep defending the bill, even as the economy sinks further and further into the hole. Whether it’s realistically possible is beside the point – the point is to keep them defending a failed policy.

Good thinking on your part.

thirteen28 on February 27, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Republicans cannot stop promoting fiscal responsibility because they fell off the wagon themselves, it’s why they need to be more vocal. And where were we when all this spending took place. Did any of us every complain to Washington?

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I wrote my senators and congressman. Also signed petitions. Maybe most conservatives did nothing, but I did hear that many in Congress had to turn off their fax machines and not answer the phones. Here’s another way to make our voice heard (since petitions, e-mails and letters seem to be ignored). This is going downhill in a hurry. You can say, “Oh well” and get flushed or you can take a stand. It’s not for the Republicans — it’s for the Country!

Christian Conservative on February 27, 2009 at 6:11 PM

JonPrichard on February 27, 2009 at 5:48 PM

That will entail taking some personal risk,..more than incurred at street protests. I’m not opposed to the protests but pretty realistic as to any impact for the amount of energy expenditure. Interruption of projected government cash flow gets their attention. We need to think about the way asymetric warfare is waged and use those same techniques without the actual warfare part. As mentioned above, the goal needs to be on the fiscal aspect,..don’t let social issues dilute the message.

a capella on February 27, 2009 at 6:13 PM

HornetSting on February 27, 2009 at 5:59 PM

kingsjester on February 27, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I venture to say HE probably dresses like your ex-wife too. Pass the salt, got me a crop of popcorn.

HornetSting on February 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I see AP’s faux-defeatism has accomplished its intended goal of riling everyone up and spurring us to action.

World B. Free on February 27, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Me too, for the most part. So when our AP says his $0.02 worth, I say it’s his $0.0175 worth.

petefrt on February 27, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Nothing starts big. I think this will have legs.

Alana on February 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Amnesty was defeated by similar grassroots efforts. This thing is much bigger than the anti amnesty efforts were when they first started. Much bigger.

These actions put our elected officials on notice and shine a light on their unwillingness to do what is right for the country. If nothing else, it baselines our positions on the issues. It makes the political elite think twice. It also makes it more difficult for the media elite to spin the issues.

All in all, its time and effort very well spent. I salute all who participated.

voiceofreason on February 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM

HornetSting on February 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Here’s the Salt. O/T: My girlfriend bought us tickets for Jeff Dunham tonight for Christmas. It should be great.

kingsjester on February 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM

In reality, though. These tea parties are pointless.

They have no direction. What do they want to accomplish with them?

lorien1973 on February 27, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Sorry to jump in so late, but I just got home from the Chicago Tea Party down at the Daley Center. There were about 500 people there, not a bad turnout for such short notice and 25 degree weather (some snow flurries too).

But the good news……….we had a great reaction from the folks on the street who were agreeing with us and cheering us on. And to top it off, I got a lot of “you go girl” comments when I was riding the train downtown and walking over to the Daley Center from people who had no idea what was going on.

If the reaction to folks observing is any indication, this movement will grow.

Linky to sign up.

Knucklehead on February 27, 2009 at 6:23 PM

And while we are grateful for the CPAC posts, note that THIS thread has more comments than any of the CPAC posts individually and 2/3 so far of the total of the nine CPAC posts including the Mike Huckabee post. If our Country is going to be changed, it is the people that are going to have to do it, not just conservative leaders.

Christian Conservative on February 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM

me like sign.

TheSitRep on February 27, 2009 at 6:29 PM

We should learn the lesson from the left and let it be known that we’re here, we’re not going away, and we will be heard.

jdawg on February 27, 2009 at 6:34 PM

There was a party in Jacksonville and I heard about it after the fact.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2009 at 6:35 PM

ardenenoch on February 27, 2009 at 5:46 PM

What? Not wait for The Right One to descend from heaven? You mean actually let real people try to voice their opinions, even though speaking on a national level might be new to them?

No, c’mon. Allah and Patrick Ruffini and Michael Medved and David Brooks are certainly soon to allow auditions for American Conservative Idol. You know, that show where everyone in the conservative movement looks for that one true voice that America will love and respect. Average citizens? No, no… that’s not how it’s done. We need a spokesman, a real orator. The Right One will bring fawning praise from the press.

Any day now… just be patient.

beatcanvas on February 27, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Finally one of my vidoes makes HotAir. I’m taking the rest of the weekend off.

Jonn Lilyea on February 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM

There was a party in Jacksonville and I heard about it after the fact.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Get on Twitter and you would have known well beforehand!
The buzz on there was tremendous.
(BTW, both AP and HA Twitter and of course, MM. MM was like Tea Party Queen!)

Jenfidel on February 27, 2009 at 6:44 PM

HornetSting on February 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM

kingsjester on February 27, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Thank you. Have a blast!

HornetSting on February 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Christian Conservative on February 27, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I was very indifferent to the budget while the Republicans had control. I think I convinced myself that it was wartime spending and our guys wouldn’t do anything stupid. Plus I believed that the country had really dodged a financial bullet when it didn’t collapse after 9/11. I’ve learned my lesson for what it is worth.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Y’all might be having a tea party, but Congress is having a METH PARTY.

Cybergeezer on February 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Jenfidel on February 27, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I am old, I don’t understand the twitter thing at all. I still think computers are magic.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM

What they accomplish is letting us know we still believe in freedom in this country. We are the majority in this country, but liberals so dominate the media, and noise in general, that many, many of us feel like we’re strange, outsiders. WE ARE THE MAJORITY! And this kind of rally reminds us of it.

We’re never going to convince the liberals that conservatism is right. (Only age, experience, and acquired wisdom can do that.) What we’re doing is convincing the conservatives that conservatism is right. Our only message to liberals is we’re not going anywhere.

joe_doufu on February 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Maybe they will be the spark that ignites the raging inferno?

Right as Rain on February 27, 2009 at 7:01 PM

We’ve talked about this before.

1. File with the IRS on time but don’t send in payment. Pay the penalty and interest with what is owed, but do it very late.

2. Allow no employer witholding from your paycheck.

3. A nationwide work stoppage for a few days.

These need coordination and publicity to be most effective. They also have a direct effect on government revenue streams.

a capella on February 27, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I agree in full with your points. It is only a civil penalty to file and not pay federal income taxes. Conservative lawyers are on top of this.

The problem is that we have a bunch of limited government individual-minded citizens spontaneously protesting the Federal Gov’t for the first time since the Revolution. The model has come full circle and the true progressives of today are calling for a limited government that is out of our individual lives.

We face a major collective action problem that “the traditional big gov’t progressives” are masters at solving (the Neo-Marxist Community Organizers). We, as advocates of the individual and limited gov’t, need to find the right strategy to use (via game theory). I hope yall can see what I am talking about in regards to the difficulty in solving the collective action problem through those that place the individual above the collective.

TEA PARTY JULY 4th 2009 Washington DC
“Be there because we can’t afford the dang family beach trip anymore with Pharaoh taking our money like we are slaves working for the benefit of the government keeping the multi trillion dollar failed Pyramid scams and schemes going.”

Wait…… taxing hard work IS postmodern slavery!

Hell I’d rather see them put the trillions to building a real Pyramid in the USA because it would actually create jobs. Plus we can punish the hacks and crooks in DC by forcing them to build the Pyramid in honor of “We the People”.

TEA PARTY JULY 4th 2009 Washington DC! Bring the grills, meat, beer, beach chairs, music, and leave the socialists at home. You’ll get a great tan in DC during the 4th of July.

Watching_Cloward-Piven on February 27, 2009 at 7:06 PM

One word: Revolution.

timajin on February 27, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Regarding the previous Ayn Rand quotes – If you don’t have a lot of time, read ANTHEM. She wrote it in 1937 as a warning that the end of Socialism is a necessarily primitive society and Totalitarianism. My Eighth graders are reading it now, on the heels of Animal Farm, and they discovered that the first step to domination is a forced reliance on the government. They actually gasped with this revelation and started discussing parallels to today’s headlines! This is not that hard to grasp folks.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on February 27, 2009 at 7:19 PM

We’re all on the same page with this – it’s reactionary. Acted upon completely after the fact. It continues to fall on deaf ears. Why, pray tell, should we expect anything different?

We elected these people. We put our faith in them to represent us. Do you believe that is happening? If that were the case, would you need to show up at a ‘tea party’?

Please continue to be vocal – don’t back down. But – PLEASE DO SOMETHING!

Stand up and make a difference in your area. Don’t be fooled into thinking that us average Americans don’t have a place in Washington.

What qualifications are necessary to act in the manner of Pelosi, Reid, Burris, Murtha, et al?

Stop looking for somebody else to start the ‘grassroots movement’ we’re all looking for and start your own.

2010 is right around the corner and we need to act.

sdu on February 27, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Let it burn – was my mantra in October, it’s still that today.

lorien1973 on February 27, 2009 at 5:33 PM

javamartini on February 27, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Stock market at 2000, unemployment 20%,Big Time inflation…then and only then will the public wake up…that is what it will take…

winston on February 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I’ve learned my lesson for what it is worth.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2009 at 6:47 PM

There will be more Tea Parties, and other venues. You’ll get your chance. We’re all learning a lesson on how fast a few people can bring down a nation. It remains to be seen if a lot of people can raise it back up.

Christian Conservative on February 27, 2009 at 7:35 PM

ATTENTION CALIFORNIA VOTERS.
The May 19 special election voter guide and summery f or PROP 1A IS A FRAUD.
Leadership Bass and Steinburg refuse to allow TAX INCREASE language for Prop 1A in the voter ballot. If you vote yes your voting for TWO 2 more years of new taxes totaling 22 billion. VOTE NO ON PROP 1A THROUGH F.

REVOLT-RECALL-REPEAL NO tax RALLY MAY 7 3 TO 6 PM @ the Fullerton Transportation Center 714-871-2233
Bring your Governor Arnold Kennedy movies for the “Burn Arnold movie event…
Take the train, bus or walk. plenty of parking so BE THERE

MALICIOUS DISORDER on February 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Had a fight with the spouse last night over the effectiveness of the Tea Parties. He came in thundering about people doing nothing about these egregious assaults on our liberty. I used the tea parties as evidence that people are responding and I think we will see civil disobedience soon. Great movements start small, gain momentum, and then explode into real action. Where would Poland have been without Lech Walesa? Solidarity began at a single shipyard. There are countless other examples in history of a single person influencing others and a grassroots movement growing from the seed.

So in response to the question above: I think the tea parties do have an effect and help to set the stage for the next level of citizen action. At the very least, we learn we are not alone in our viewpoint.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on February 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Malicious, thanks for the tip. See, people are coming together to make things right!

BTW, I grew up in Fullerton and can easily see the locals making this event a great event.

Love the Gov’s moniker.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on February 27, 2009 at 7:42 PM

I’ve been fighting mad for a couple of years now. Our children are fighting enemies abroad, while the true enemies to our Constitution and Liberties has been walking amongst us. I convinced myself that I was an anomaly, that I walked alone. Unless and until we learn how to organize and fight this fifth column walking amongst us, we will be defeated. We and future generations will have no one but ourselves to blame for our defeat and subjugation.

I am not a general, but I’d make a great foot soldier. We need someone to take the lead.

SoldiersMom on February 27, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Loriens question (that allah found so utterly brilliant)…that “these tea parties are pointless and what are they supposed to accomplish’.

Seriously? I mean are you seriously asking that question, and is allah seriously agreeing with it?

The tea parties are (if nothing else) an effort to
1) send a message that not all people are mindless idiots and know FULL well what is going on.
2) When the crash and burn comes (and it will) people can have something to point to and say “told you so.”
3)You have to start somewhere.

And furthermore…what would allah and lorien want us all to do. Sit at our computers all day and bitch and whine? obviously its enough for lorien and allah but for me…sign me up for a tea party. Its called being REALLY INVOLVED.

And allah..(again with respect), if you feel that way about people getting PHYSICALLY involved, then surely you must feel even moreso about bloggers and ‘writers’ that are content with just tip tappin away at a keyboard, in hopes that one gets enough hits from fellow handwringers so that one can say that their blogs and collumns are oh so popular.

Please….

Handel on February 27, 2009 at 8:29 PM

This is something we can learn from the liberals, it’s called IN YOUR FACE, give it right back to them. I don’t even watch TV anymore because I have had enough of Obama in my face. If they scream at you scream louder, insult them back, forget being nice it’s a word they don’t understand. I’M OLD BUT I CAN STILL GET RILED.

concernedsenior on February 27, 2009 at 8:30 PM

SoldiersMom on February 27, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Can I suggest something? Instead of waiting for someone to lead, how about if we walk confidently in what we know is the right direction?

I’m not sure that we need a leader right now… what we do need is movement and acceptance of each other as we move forward.

I think it’s a lot easier for Obama and company to critique a single person (a la Newt, Rush, Bush, etc) than it is to critique millions.

A flat organization might be the most effective. A Democrat nightmare could be made of faceless mobs.

beatcanvas on February 27, 2009 at 9:13 PM

lorien1973 on February 27, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Winnie-the-Pooh called. He wants Eeyore back.

ex-Democrat on February 27, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I pray the protests will build momentum towards a Large Tea Party July 4th in Washington DC. The symbolism would be TOO strong to ignore.

4th of July would be a mess….go here for the march being planned:

Let’s roll!

ex-Democrat on February 27, 2009 at 9:28 PM

I’ve never been politically active. I’ve been wanting to get out with a sign and scream something for a couple months now. So I made 20 signs and joined the Tampa party.

The point? New local connections; new friendships; exchange of emails; great conversation; got to talk to print and TV media about how I feel. Made http://www.tbo.com

The result? I’m awake; I’m engaged; I’m not alone; I’m more connected; I’ve got more ideas; I’m just getting started; my timid friends and teenage kids said “take me next time”

I’ve said it before – you have more than one vote. You can continue to vote everyday with your feet and your money. My feet had a great time today in downtown Tampa and as for my money – I pre-spent my first 5 weeks of Obama tax “cuts” on 20 signs. Money very well spent.

Rockygold on February 27, 2009 at 9:32 PM

InTheBellyoftheBeast on February 27, 2009 at 7:19 PM

My favorite post today.

I’ve held back from teaching because I didn’t think I could stomach the public school system … but you have me thinking.

Thank you.

ex-Democrat on February 27, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Okay, I was at the DC Tea Party today. My thoughts:

- pretty darn good turn-out for a few days’ notice, DC in the middle of a workday, rain in the forecast (and it did rain towards the 2nd hour), and changing the location 24 hours before the start.

- according to the people there, yours truly had the best sign. I was the guy with the poster-sized version of this graphic by Tennyson Hayes (a MM photoshop-of-the-day). For those interested, I generated the poster by using this site: http://www.BlockPosters.com

- MM was there blogging…didn’t even realize it was her she was so discreet, sitting there with her computer. She took a pic of me and the poster and I was hoping to see it on her site, but not yet (the poster is shown on the Facebook site for the tea party via: http://www.NewAmericanTeaParty.com) … I forgot to ask MM she would enroll me for posting at her site! Darn. Next time.

- Note: if this had been a leftist protest there would have been ALL THE MEDIA CAMERAS THERE. ALL OF THEM. To the MSM, 10 Code Pinkos is worthy of the nightly news. Never forget this. The moonbats KNOW they will get P.R. (positive p.r. I might add) which helps their turnout. Several hundred were there today and it was GREAT.

- A highpoint of the day: I spoke to a college freshman who had come over from CPAC. She told me she was attending a uber-lib college in the northeast (her college was so lib she couldn’t find three–THREE!–Republicans to start a College Republicans group. Three is the minimum requirement.) She was in the belly of the beast and p3ning her spoiled classmates left and right (hehe). Good stuff.

- My other highlight: an office worker came up to me and asked about the protest and what was going on. She whispered (WHISPERED) that she felt this stimulus thing and bailouts were just wrong, but didn’t think anyone else felt like this so she had kept her mouth shut (can we say: MSM is the arm of the DNC? YES WE CAN!). Anyway, I turned her on to HotAir.com … I told her to start there, you’ll feel better.

that’s it from the ditches…..let’s continue to ROLL!

ex-Democrat on February 27, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Rockygold on February 27, 2009 at 9:32 PM

The un-lorien! kudos!

ex-Democrat on February 27, 2009 at 9:52 PM

My feet had a great time today in downtown Tampa
Rockygold on February 27, 2009 at 9:32 PM

And my feet were frozen at the Chicago Tea Party. And then I got rather depressed when I came to HA and read so many comments about “this won’t work”.

And now I’m watching Greta and she’s showing clips from several of the tea parties today, including Chicago. At least someone is covering us!

that’s it from the ditches…..let’s continue to ROLL!

ex-Democrat on February 27, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Thanks for the update………..and oh yeah….

Let’s roll

Knucklehead on February 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I took my kids out of school and made the drive to Nashville for the Tea Party. We had an estimated crowd of 600, which I thought was good for a last minute event held on a cold and misty day. The Chairman of the TN GOP spoke, as well as a legislator, among others. There were quite a few newspaper and television reporters, which surprised me a bit. And right now there is a story on the front page of the Nashville Tennessean website.

I haven’t read all of the comments here, but apparently some don’t think the tea parties amount to much. Maybe, maybe not. We’ll see. Revolutions have to start somewhere. A few years ago Tennessee had a Republican governor and a Democrat Speaker of the General Assembly who thought they could foist an income tax on us. Conservatives statewide organized and protested in front of the capital and it was stopped dead in it’s tracks. It took months of hard work, but the people won. The leaders of the Tennessee tax revolt spoke today. Knowing they organized this event gives me hope that the Tea Party was only a beginning in Tennessee.

Regardless of what comes next, my children will remember the day their dad stood on the steps in Legislative Plaza in front of the State Capital with the big yellow Gadsden flag waving in the breeze. They’ll remember all the patriotic Americans who spoke. They’ll remember we pledged allegiance and that we prayed for this country. They’ll remember all those great pro-American, pro-freedom signs. And they’ll remember the anti-Obama and anti-tax signs, too. They have a better understanding of what Dad means when he tells them that freedom isn’t free, that people paid for our freedoms with blood and that we must remain vigilant or we will lose our freedom. With my children in mind, I don’t think I wasted my time at all.

flyfisher on February 27, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Well, I and I assume concerned citizens have called and written their delegation and what happened; they blindly voted for the stimulus bill. We have ~50% of workers not paying taxes and getting goodies from politicans bribing them to vote for them, goodie givers. Well we had better do something to get them to listen before there is a Ruby Ridge type spark that leads to another Shays’ Rebellion. Then the poop will hit the fan.

If your school system ignored this part of history, Google it.

amr on February 27, 2009 at 11:08 PM

InTheBellyoftheBeast on February 27, 2009 at 7:19 PM

My favorite post today.

Thank you.

ex-Democrat on February 27, 2009 at 9:35 PM

I am touched, and I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Teaching in the public school system is a risk, but I marched in knowing that kids deserved one good Conservative teacher in their lifetime. If I can get them thinking, even for a little while, then there is hope. I long ago decided that the individual can make a difference, even if it is limited to 100 teenagers a year.

Ex-Democrat, Jump in with me and we can begin to revolutionize the education industry.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on February 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Oh, and by the way, LET’S ROLL

InTheBellyoftheBeast on February 27, 2009 at 11:16 PM

What’s the purpose?

Wasn’t that what Marie Antoinette said to Louis XVI?

Tea bags to Bambi FBHN sounds good to me.

Flying Jolly Roger

Caststeel on February 28, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Hartford Tea Party was grand! .. about 250… Met some great folks.

“Its on”

amend2 on February 28, 2009 at 12:37 AM

oh and.. you really need to stop talking and posting videos about Politicians in either party… there time has come and gone.

It’s us now.

amend2 on February 28, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Our only message to liberals is we’re not going anywhere.

joe_doufu on February 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM

For the ones of the manufacturing belt, that only makes it that easier to aim.

sethstorm on February 28, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Not only should there be more Tea Parties, they should be in front of television and radio stations. To the person who felt they are not focused or coordinated. Are you smoking something?…… the message these protests is sending couldn’t be more focused… and the grass root level of it is perfect. If you don’t want to help the cause, get the hell out of way, naysayers.

MNDavenotPC on February 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I agree with those that say keep on it. The liberal’s protests didn’t start with thousands of people. They started small and grew over time. As for protest being held in however many different places or not, I think it would get more play if there were many going on rather than one large one. With people out of money and jobs I don’t think there would be as many people driving long distances either. Now when it keeps getting worse, I think more people would be willing to travel a good distance. I disagree with those that say it’s not doing any good. If all we are going to do is keep kicking ourselves while we’re down, we’re not going to get anywhere. The other side does that to us enough, we don’t need to be helping them.

roopster217 on February 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM

This is a valid reason as too why the liberals are trying to DESTROY an american citizen..

You see he isnt one of their lying kind
he isnt a lying politician
he isnt black
he isnt a liberal

Therefore in the liberals eyes he is worse than an islamic terrorists.. for he threatens their meager existance..

and therefore must be destroyed..

jcila on February 28, 2009 at 3:44 PM

What a freaking joke.

getalife on February 28, 2009 at 4:32 PM

How about raising consciousness to overcome the assumption that Obama’s economic plan is universally supported? Is that not a nobel, reasonable goal?

Just cause our goals will have to wait until 2010 doesn’t mean we can’t agitate now.

gryphon202 on February 28, 2009 at 7:11 PM