CNN poll of Republicans: Palin 29, Huckabee 26, Romney 21

posted at 3:33 pm on February 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

The margin of error’s 4.5 percent so in effect the result’s no different from their poll of Republicans and independents in December, which Huck won by two points. But here’s a twist: While Huckabee did better with Republican women three months ago, the tide has suddenly turned.

While the CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll doesn’t indicate a clear frontrunner, it does suggest there’s a gender gap among rank and file Republicans.

“Among GOP men, the same pattern emerges — no clear advantage for Palin, Huckabee or Romney. But among Republican women, it’s a different story. Palin has a 10-point edge among Republican women, winning 32 percent support among them to 22 percent for Huckabee and 20 percent for Romney,” adds Holland. “With the sampling error, that’s not enough to say for sure that Palin is in the lead, but it does indicate that if the primaries were held tomorrow, Palin would have a good chance of being the favorite among GOP women.”

Any theories as to why? Bristol’s been in the news lately, so maybe there’s some sort of identification with Palin as mother stemming from that? I’m stumped. Exit question: Think with me here for a minute. If The One gets the economy on track by 2011 and it looks like he’s waltzing towards reelection, wouldn’t Huckabee actually be a good pick for the nomination? Granted, he’s white, southern, and evangelical, none of which screams “big tent,” but he’s also charming, media savvy, good on race, and comfortable with middle-class economic messaging in a way that Romney, say, isn’t. In other words, he might help boost the party’s image, which isn’t a bad consolation prize in a year you’re destined to lose. Plus, getting crushed in 2012 means he’s an also-ran in 2016, when the GOP would have a real chance again. Second look at Huck as sacrificial lamb?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Sarah!

jimmy2shoes on February 27, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Second look at Huck as sacrificial lamb?

I can think of no better use for Huck’s skills.

Lehosh on February 27, 2009 at 3:36 PM

If The One gets the economy on track by 2011

If that happens , the concept of “fiscal responsibility” is dead.

the_nile on February 27, 2009 at 3:37 PM

more people are taking in the full scope of what the MSM and Dems did to smear Palin during the election

jp on February 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Um, no thanks to Huck. I want less government, Huck strikes me as a “compassionate conservative”, i.e. another big government person, along the lines of W.

Palin, while conservative in her own life, doesn’t strike me as a moralizer bent on using government to shape society.

rbj on February 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Assuming that the stimulus works

It’s been tried before and it didn’t work then. What makes you think/theory it will now?

Kini on February 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM

oy. gluttons for punishment?

ernesto on February 27, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Do not care.

BadgerHawk on February 27, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Uh, no, because he might accidentally win and become president.

myrenovations on February 27, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I’m sorry, but none of these candidates excite me. I would gladly take them over any dem, but I hope someone better emerges…

ImRight on February 27, 2009 at 3:39 PM

there’s also not the constant media orgasm of Palin hatred, everyday in some form or another, being pushed down everyones throats.

after the election in 2004, the MSM quit reporting on Bush related stuff for awhile and his Popularity rating shot up.

jp on February 27, 2009 at 3:40 PM

2012 is gonna suck.

lorien1973 on February 27, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I’m not following, how does nominating Huckabee “boost the party’s image”?

lowandslow on February 27, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Huckabee?

Lord help us – people actually listen to this game show host?

jake-the-goose on February 27, 2009 at 3:41 PM

This is a CNN poll.

Tells you a lot, huh?

Kini on February 27, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Where is beloved Fred?

tommylotto on February 27, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Actually, it won’t be called 2012. Right after the tax increases kick in the name will be changed to Year Zero.

myrenovations on February 27, 2009 at 3:41 PM

2012 is gonna suck.

lorien1973 on February 27, 2009 at 3:40 PM

For Obama, Palin Rocks.

Firebird on February 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Huckabee is George W. Bush only with better one liners.

Hilts on February 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM

huckabee traded over $800 million dollars in federal medicaid funding for the government sanctioned private funds to abort the child of a 14 year old mentally ill girl who was raped by her step-father

gatorboy on February 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Only 9% for Jindal?

Kelligan on February 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Who cares? This big tent BS needs to stop. I’m so sick of libertarian dirtbags pretending the GOP needs to cater to their every whim to attract more voters. In fact, I find it absurd that you’d even try to claim we need a bigger tent on social issues when it’s republican fiscal and foreign policy that people don’t trust anymore. It didn’t work for Old Man McCain and it won’t work for whatever fantasy prospect you have for 2016.

Moderates don’t care if you have a big tent or not, they’ll just vote for the better performer on stage. I agree with you that from those we’ve seen so far, Huck appears to be the most qualified but I still don’t think he’s good enough. We need someone who can play Reagan well on stage.

Darth Executor on February 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Doubt we’ll have elections in 2012… why bother polling.

BPD on February 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Second look at Huck as sacrificial lamb?

Maybe. I’d still prefer any combination of Mitt/Cuda.

Kid from Brooklyn on February 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Right now I would go for Jim DeMint of South Carolina and until he turned into a bit of a wuss – Mark Sanford aslo of S.C.

Hilts on February 27, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Uh, no, because he might accidentally win and become president.

myrenovations on February 27, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Better than ogabe. Unless you’re a butthurt romney fan.

Darth Executor on February 27, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I try not to think of 2012 too much. That is four years away. I will see how, and if, our Republic is able to with stand all that bho and d’s are trying to crater it.
L

letget on February 27, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Only 9% for Jindal?

Kelligan on February 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Give it time. Soon we’ll all be Slumdogs thanks to Obama

Kini on February 27, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Jindal/Palin ’12

or

Palin/Jindal ’12

Doesn’t matter. They are both fantastic!!

Ltlgeneral64 on February 27, 2009 at 3:45 PM

This post is a good reason to turn off the computer and start happy hour.

When Allahpundit calls Bristol “in the news” (really? like the budget or something?) calls Huckabee “charming”, and takes a gratuitous swipe at Mitt Romney, you know the entire post is one big pile of bullcrap.

BigD on February 27, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Huck/Palin is the best ticket for 2012. Palin still won’t be ready, but if she accepts the vp slot gracefully, she’ll send her women to Huck. Women will still shine in the glory of the first female vp thing.

marklmail on February 27, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Huckabee is no W, he doesn’t have the balls that W had to stand for the surge. Huck would have caved like a cheap tent.

1. Sanford
2. Sarah
3. Romney
4. Barber
5. Jindal

lavell12 on February 27, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Palin is the ticket! Conservative men and women like her especially because we identify with her, and frankly, she has more chutzpah than any of these men.

jencab on February 27, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Cant stand the Shmuckabee. It’s nobody’s TURN this time.

And Allah…isnt it a little early to throw in the towel?

birdhurd on February 27, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Say what you want about Huckabee. He’ll win in 2012.

marklmail on February 27, 2009 at 3:46 PM

… you know the entire post is one big pile of bullcrap.

BigD on February 27, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Dude, I called this one in the Garafolo/Olberman thread.

liquidflorian on February 27, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Running Huck would be more of McSame.

Palin continues to be attacked by the Obamamedia. Socialist wannabe Huck has a tv show. Palin still manages to draw more people. The answer is easy.

DannoJyd on February 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Lehosh on February 27, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Huckabee has skills? Oh yeah. The magic mouth. I imagine we could send him to the middle east if we wanted to incite anti-American rioting in the streets. Look at his record in Arkansas, and his past position on immigration. I don’t like Romney, but I’d trust his conversion on issues more than Huckabee; and I think 2012 may still be too soon for Palin.

austinnelly on February 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I’m not so sure, Darth Executor. Huckabee would be probably worse than Obama. If it had been a choice between Huck and Obama this past election, I would have probably pulled the lever for Obama. Huck scares me that much.

Besides, Huck is just as bad as Obama when it comes to spending and things. Only the disaster would, once again, have a R next to it.

Vanceone on February 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Regardless of Palin’s chances and what anyone might think of her, to run twice as a VP candidate would ruin her. She would be better of running for president and losing in the primaries once or twice than accepting the #2 slot again.

I’d rather not waste her that way.

myrenovations on February 27, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Palin/ Jindal.
You must be kidding if Sanford is on the top of your list. We will lose overwhelmingly with Sanford. He just called those who want Obama to fail, “Idiots.” He’s done.

jencab on February 27, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Sarah Palin will not win. I don’t understand how people think she can. Start finding me the people who voted for Obama but who will change to Palin in 2012. Most of America thinks she is a complete moron.

WisCon on February 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM

If The One gets the economy on track by 2011

If that happens, it will have been done through the use of smoke and mirrors.

joedoe on February 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Huckabee is a low budget preacher with cheap and stupid lines. If he is campaign is as bad as his tv show then Obama would smoke him, even/when Obama has a terrible first four years.

lavell12 on February 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I said it a year ago, I’ll say it again.

MITT!

Ludwig on February 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM

This poll makes me feel dead inside.

thereverendag on February 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM

The total sample size was 429. By the time you break it down by gender, you’re at about half that number (giving you a margin of error of about 7%), and then realize that respondents were given 4 suggestions, pulled out of CNN’s pollsters’, um, imaginations (Palin, Huck, Mitt, other/none of the above), you’re down to pretty much completely meaningless.

So, since it’s meaningless, it’d be sort of stupid to theorize as to “why” about any of the results.

notropis on February 27, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I wouldn’t vote for either of the top two. Libertarian Party, ftw!

therightwinger on February 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Palin/ Jindal.

jencab on February 27, 2009 at 3:48 PM

most people don’t want him to fail, hints he did win. I want him to fail but most people don’t.

lavell12 on February 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM

but he’s also charming,

He’s slimey. Did you ignore all of last year?

media savvy,

The man is a carnival barker.

good on race,

Not sure what you’re driving at here. He’s an old white man. Are you saying that old white man are good at drawing blacks and hispanics to the polls to vote FOR them?

Yes, he’s got the same middle-class economic messaging (read class warfare) that any good liberal would have.

He claims to be socially conservative (I don’t buy it, he’s a very nasty person), he’s pretty obviously not fiscally conservative, and I may not recall correctly, but didn’t he want to fall in line with the open borders crowd? Which republican wing are you trying to fool?

Kelligan on February 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM

It’s way to early to start assuming that Barry is a lock for 2012.

MarkTheGreat on February 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Better than ogabe. Unless you’re a butthurt romney fan.

Darth Executor on February 27, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I disagree. Obama may well destroy the country, but I feel just as certain that Huckabee would as well. The country would be destroyed and it wouldn’t matter if it were an R or a D.

And no, not a butthurt (the hell?) Romney fan.

myrenovations on February 27, 2009 at 3:52 PM

MITT ROMNEY is a pretty vile pro-abort and nationalized health care proponent.

Its a shame that big names like ANN COULTER support him without even acknowledging how big his negatives are.

In fact, Ann needs to apologize for her not dealing with Romney’s major flaws and a website has been made for her to do just that.

anncoulterapology.com

Site was launched as a result of Coulter dropping out of the interview after she wouldn’t deal with the reality of Romney’s record on this show a week ago.

Ann Coulter’s Guilty, and Hangs Up

TheMightyQuinn on February 27, 2009 at 3:52 PM

If The One gets the economy on track by 2011

CBO and Sec Treas say that the economy will likely correct itself by end of 2009.

We’re supposed to be afraid of Obama if he manages to extend that date by 2 years and get it back on track in 2011?

If we all chip in we could probably afford an island somewhere outside the control of a government. We could call it Galt’s Island and all are welcome as long as you have no problem being responsible for your own self.

JadeNYU on February 27, 2009 at 3:52 PM

What this poll shows is that SP is a major player, which I have contended all along. I’m not saying she will automatically win the nomination but as the sports’ pundits like to say ‘she’s in the conversation’. Here’s why:

1)I have discussed this on many occasions. SP is a rockstar or a superstar. They don’t come around very often in any endeavor.

2)Sarah is authentic; the base of the GOP will never forget that, despite being attacked mercilessly and ridiculed by the MSM on a 24/7 basis, Sarah stood tall, played to SRO audiences of tens of thousands and performed well in the clutch: her introductory speech, her convention speech and in her debate with Obama

3)How often do get a candidate who is culturally conservative, pro-gun, pro-life, fiscally conservative and beliefs in a strong national defense and finally believes in defending the Constitution with every breath she takes?

4)And finally Sarah has been through the rigor of a VP campaign. What many pundits are missing: she now has experience in the day-to-day grind of a national campaign. Very few Americans can say that.

The only way that SP will not be a major player is if she decides not run in 2012.

technopeasant on February 27, 2009 at 3:53 PM

If we had to run a sacrificial lamb, I can think of none better than the Huckster. I am no where near ready to believe that is going to be the case though. How is the economy going to get anywhere with The One in charge? It could conceivably get better in spite of him, I have my doubts though.

msmveritas on February 27, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Huckabee will not boost the republicans image. The liberal elites in the media are just drooling over the opportunity to post huckabee’s mug all over the front page of every newspaper so as to ensure that his is the face of the republican party henceforth.

Zetterson on February 27, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Heh, uh hey, is it me, or didn’t we just have a presidential election four months ago?

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I agree with AP (gasp!). If Obama is a shoe-in, no need to nominate and sacrifice one of the young guns. Throw someone out there who has little to lose. I’d prefer Palin wait until 2016 anyway, get another term as Gov. under her belt.

Erich66 on February 27, 2009 at 3:54 PM

My theory is that Palin is no longer suffering the artificially deflated numbers from the media barrage around the campaign.

I’m pretty clueless as to why AP is cheerleading Huck, though. Any theories on that?

cs89 on February 27, 2009 at 3:54 PM

My sides hurt.

Palin 2012/2016

Ted Torgerson on February 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM

If The One gets the economy on track by 2011…

This isn’t going to happen. It would defy logic. As was said yesterday on Fox Business, you cannot tax and spend your way to recovery.

The media might lie and O will lie, but the economy won’t be on track if O persists in the path he’s on.

Huck won’t get the nomination. He doesn’t have economic savvy credentials or foreign policy credentials and either one or both will be needed. The competition from Palin and/or Jindal would be formidable. Huck would not come across well at all.

You can do better political analysis than this. You’re just trying to find an ant hill to poke.

INC on February 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM

The good thing to me in McCain losing is that Palin won’t be tied to the crap sandwich he would have delivered to the table.

Palin/? 2012

AubieJon on February 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Huck didn’t advocate letting born children die to please his PP feminazi masters. That puts him above Ogabe. Actually, that puts most of the Democratic party above Ogabe.

Vanceone on February 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Uh huh. Right. Ogabe’s the worst spender in the history of the United States. I find the hotair tendency to hate some of its own people more than the enemy disgusting. I can’t stand romney and think McCain and huck should both disappear but I’d never, ever back the Great Satan (D) over any of them.

Darth Executor on February 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM

WTH.

Why are we even thinking 2016 is an option at ALL? (allah, GOOD GRIEF!) Look, guys and girls, if we survive this term as a nation we will be lucky. If we ever have a free election again, I’d be surprised.

Color me skeptical, but, I was just thinking this morning about election day and how GROSS the fraud was EVERY freaking WHERE…and you talk about CAVING????!?!?!?!? McCain was so quick to fold his cards and you could see Sarah just cringing during the concession. She knew this was a not a fair, clean election. People were TAKING PICTURES of themselves with their multiple registration cards across different states, for crikey’s sake, and you know that investigation into ACORN produced such great results, they even got billions from the Fed.

Funny how those things just go *poof* down the memory hole.

No, NO, NO. The drum beat must start NOW and we MUST FEAR THE SECOND TERM, guys. There is no option but exposure of this maniacal fraud/dictator and revolution NOW, not later. He fancies himself as Che…he must be stopped.

Mommypundit on February 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2009 at 3:54 PM

We had an election – not sure we got a president, though.

AubieJon on February 27, 2009 at 3:56 PM

It’s really way too early to be giving this much thought. I would like to take another look at Palin at the end of 2010 within context.

joedoe on February 27, 2009 at 3:57 PM

This and the “sacrificial lamb” meme is getting tiresome.

Do you have no confidence in the fact that Obama is ruining the economy? If anyone had any confidence that his policies would remotely cause the economy to get back “on track” it would be reflected in markets. No such sign whatsoever.

We’re heading into a financial diaster of epic proportions, things will get much worse than they are today.

If the Republic survies 4 years with Obama (and that’s a big IF), the GOP can run cardboard cut-out of Dick Nixon in 2012 and still win 49 states.

Norwegian on February 27, 2009 at 3:57 PM

This is good. So when Huckabee drops out, Sarah will have a huge lead over the next fella.

Go Sarahcudda.

portlandon on February 27, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Let’s just nominate McCain again since he was such a great nominee last time around.

t.ferg on February 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Look how the msm treats the various republican candidates. Palin, romney, and jindal get brutalized while huckabee is handled with kid gloves. There is a reason for their bias. If the McCain saga taught us anythig it should be – beware the media darling sporting the letter “r” in front of their name.

Zetterson on February 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM

And no, not a butthurt (the hell?) Romney fan.

myrenovations on February 27, 2009 at 3:52 PM

What the hell is it with the huck/obama comparisons? Huck opposed the bailout (when a lot of republicans didn’t). To compare the two is completely absurd.

Darth Executor on February 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Yesterday at CPAC:

John Bolton just spoke here at CPAC, offering a blistering critique of President Obama’s foreign policies, insisting that, “If we get our act together, he is a one-termer.”

Mommypundit is right. We’ve got to survive until the midterms and fight for wins then. In 2012 we must fight for the presidency.

INC on February 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Let’s look at CNN’s rationale for this stupid poll. Here’s how I see it through my cracked lens.

1. CNN wants to make Republicans look like obstructionists in any way possible.

2. Therefore, CNN wants to make the leading Repubs look as if they’re already posturing to run against Obama in 2012. This painting of the Repubs as such also says that they are not taking any role in trying to fix the current economic mess.

3. People who see these polls over and over (isn’t this about the fourth one since January?) get tired of the Republicans’ not helping (since, of course, that’s what they’ve been conditioned to think) and slide their support to Obama and his magic money-making money-destroying machine.

Seriously, these polls don’t make much sense in any other way to me, since (I hope) the next campaign doesn’t start for over two more years.

Disclaimer: If I chose presently, I’d choose Sarah.

Snowed In on February 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM

The Myan calendar ends on 12/21/2012 as do many others. Looks like they knew what they were talking about. Current events tend to support them.

hillbilly on February 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM

No, I would totally vote against him/that because of the whole EPA thing.

myrenovations on February 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM

No Kenneth the Page?

benny shakar on February 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Jesus some of these comments are nuts. If we survive? Please. Obama may not be the greatest in the world, and he may stink. But we’ll survive as a nation.

Huckabee and Palin woud be lucky to win 5 states each.

therightwinger on February 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Palin bashing starts

1 2 3 Go……

TimeTraveler on February 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Zetterson on February 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM

The media didn’t “brutalize” Romney, it mostly ignored him (and huckabee for that matter).

Darth Executor on February 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Huckabee does have great speaking skills. He’s a minister and a talk show host, so that’s no shocker. I just question how conservative the man really is given his record on taxes and amnesty.

If by some miracle Obama turns the economy around and seems like a shoo-in for re-election, sure go ahead and have the Huckster take one for the team. Serves him right for screwing over Romney and forcing McCain on us.

But let’s return to reality here. The economy ain’t gonna turn around with the out-of-control spending and tax increases proposed by Obama and the Dems. So let’s set out to nominate the best person for the job. No more of this nonsense where we go with who we’re told is the most electable. We saw what that got us last time.

Doughboy on February 27, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Any theories as to why [Palin is a favorite among conservatives and women]? [...] I’m stumped.

The truly sad-making thing, Allah, is that I believe you genuinely are “stumped” when it comes to why we want Sarah, and will fight ferociously for Sarah.

God help us all if the party’s mushy “moderates” somehow, against all hope and logic, get their way again in ’12, ignore the conservative voting base and gift us with yet another wholly avoidable electoral loss.

There’s a word for political party’s that routinely begrudge and/or ignore outright their voting rank-and-file, election after election after election.

That word is: losers.

Kent18 on February 27, 2009 at 4:01 PM

MadisonConservative,

I’m with you. I like the results, but why in the hell is CNN polling 2012? Obama’s been president for 5 weeks. It’s like the entire network news industry has ADHD and is already bored with actual public policy and government (severe recession, two wars, big spending POTUS — boring!), so they want to go back out on the campaign trail again.

And people wonder why I cheer the financial collapse of the MSM?

Robert_Paulson on February 27, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Didn’t we learn with McCain that running a big government “conservative” never works? Pick a real conservative who believes in individual liberty and personal responsibility and let the chips fall where they may.

Besides, Republicans win when the stick to their principles.

patriette on February 27, 2009 at 4:01 PM

The mere fact that Hucklebuck is in second place is terrible news. This assclown shouldn’t even be a blip on the GOP radar screen.

Percy_Peabody on February 27, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Doughboy on February 27, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I agree.

INC on February 27, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Darth Executor on February 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Huckabee opposed the bailout when he didn’t have to cast an actual vote for it. But the things he said while he was still running and the things he did while running Arkansas, invite the Obama comparison.

myrenovations on February 27, 2009 at 4:02 PM

sacrificial lamb?

Was not John McCain too? What about Bob Dole?

Lets just hope that the house and congress get new owners in 2010, it would make it would be easy in 2012.
But then again unless the whole MSM and there masters on the left goes poof back to their own dimension, any GOP in 2012 is a sacrificial lamb

tjexcite on February 27, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Norwegian on February 27, 2009 at 3:57 PM

My fear? He is the greatest liar I have ever seen and the propensity for idol worship is obscenly great in our sick nation, second only to the lust for control. The liberals have it now and they will NOT cede it for a second. We know they steal, lie and manipulate to get in and stay in. I do not trust people’s perceptions of Obama. He is very, very good at keeping his hands clean. Also, all we need to do is look back to the PLENTY of evidence we had on Fannie/Freddie housing collapse. Remember all those benefactors? Funny how they never get indicted…they never get outed. This was the clearest example of liberal policy in action and the public STILL called it “the failed Bush economic policies.” Look for all sorts of manipulation of fact around election time.

We start now. Everyone is responsible for their neighbors. And everyone is responsible for telling the truth to every race other than their own, whatever that might be. It has to cross all lines. We simply have to tell the truth in a winsome way and hope that we can chink a little of that veneer. All I am asking for is some truth and a little skepticism of MSM…that’s all…and good handle on history.

Let’s go to work!

Mommypundit on February 27, 2009 at 4:03 PM

If the economy is still a messy issue, its going to be Romney 2012, no matter what this poll says. Romney is the only candidate with a prayer in 2012 because he can actually talk economics, not just populist crap that Huckabee likes to talk about. I think by 2012 were going to be looking for a smart guy who can get us out of a hole and right now Romney is it.

nswider on February 27, 2009 at 4:04 PM

I believe the reason you are seeing this result is that both Palin and Huckabee are not only charismatic, but are free market solution-based in their thinking. Now, you might not like their solutions, however with the economy, Huckabee resonates because he is the biggest proponent on the national stage for the Fair Tax. Palin, a strong fiscal conservative, understands energy independence and foreign policy are intertwined like no other politician in recent history.

adams6kids on February 27, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Snowed In on February 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I think your analysis is exaclty right.

notropis on February 27, 2009 at 4:05 PM

I like Sarah but she is not gonna win the presidency even if she managed to get the nomination which is doubtful. If you think the media was hard on her when she ran as VP, they’ll completely destroy her in 2012 if she runs. There’s still a buttload of people who get their news from a 30 minute broadcast from NBC, CBS or ABC. They don’t bother to do any research or put any effort into enlightening themselves. How much does anyone want to bet there will be any coverage of the various “tea parties” that happened today on any of the news broadcasts? Hell I will even bet Fox News won’t even mention it.

jewells45 on February 27, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Palin could go after the senate seat in 2010 and that would give her good national and international experience, theorhetically putting her in a very good position for 2016.

However, if this does turn out to be a Carter redo, then she might just have to go for it in 2012.

joedoe on February 27, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Dear God, if this is the best hope the GOP has, we’re doomed.

TheBlueSite on February 27, 2009 at 4:05 PM

myrenovations on February 27, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Huck just doesn’t have the economic or foreign policy credentials.

However, I don’t think it means Romney is going to make it as the nominee. I can see him in a Cabinet position.

It really is going to be time for the next generation of candidates.

INC on February 27, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Darth Executor on February 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM

“There is a lot of support for a tax at the wholesale level for tobacco. That’s fine with me. I will very happily sign that… Some have suggested the retail level of tobacco. If that ends up being your preference, I will accept that. Others have suggested a surcharge on the income tax. That’s acceptable. I’m fine with that. … Others have suggested perhaps a sales tax. That’s fine. Yet others have suggested a hybrid that would collect some money from any one or combination of those various ideas… If that’s the plan that the House and Senate agree upon, then you will have nothing but my profound thanks.”

Spoken by?

A. Barack Obama
B. Mike Huckabee
C. Barney Frank

Answer: When you can’t tell the Dems from the Repubs, it’s time to go home.

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Hey, AP. Consider the source! CNN?? Do they have good credibility all of a sudden? Huckabee wouldn’t even be in the picture, I’ll bet, if Rasmussen took the poll. This is another liberal shot at trying to get Republicans to go toward them.

Christian Conservative on February 27, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Only 9% for Jindal?

Kelligan on February 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM

And thats before his poor nationwide performance on Tuesday. It’s probably down to low single digits today.

Listen, 2012 will be a race between Palin, Huckabee and Romney. I don’t see any other likely contenders at this point. Sanford is dead politically after the Porkulus flap and his “idiot” statement. Guiliani will never run again after his embarrassment in 2008. Noone else have the nationwide name-recognition needed to win the nomination.

Running Romney would be mistake. If he couldn’t do it in 2008 with a huge money advantage, he has no chance in 2012. Huckabee is just a joke so I won’t comment on him.

Norwegian on February 27, 2009 at 4:06 PM