OK, this one’s racist … and really stupid

posted at 8:15 am on February 26, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I grew up near Los Alamitos, where the lastest cartoon controversy has erupted … and on this one, the critics have a very good case.  While the cartoon at the New York Post has been blown way out of proportion, the Photoshopped picture of the White House sent out by the mayor to colleagues — including one very angry African-American council member — used obvious racial stereotypes to belittle Barack Obama.  Entitled “No Easter Egg hunt this year,” the picture showed the lawn covered in watermelons.

Hilarity did not ensue:

The mayor has sent an apology for an e-mail sent to a local businesswoman and community volunteer that she says is racist and offensive.

Keyanus Price, an African American, said she was appalled when she received an e-mail from Mayor Dean Grose’s personal account that showed a picture of the White House with a watermelon patch imposed as the White House garden.

“I was horrified when I read that e-mail,” Price said. “What I’m concerned about is how can this person send an e-mail out like this and think it is OK?” …

Grose’s e-mail included the picture with a heading that read, “No Easter Egg hunt this year.”

“I think he’s saying that since there’s a black president, there will be no need to hunt for eggs since they’re growing watermelons in the front yard this year,” Price wrote.

I’m sure many of us have older relatives, or did, who would tell such jokes while we cringed in embarrassment.  Sometimes we suffered them in silence, and on occasion, we’d reprimand them for their insensitivity.  Over the years, these jokes have almost disappeared from private discourse.

That’s why this is all the more gobsmackingly stupid.  Not only did this get sent out by e-mail, it got sent out by a public official to people he didn’t know very well.  Short of putting a sign on his back saying, “I’m Stupid,” it’s hard to think of a more career-ending move for a politician to make.

Not only that, but when Grose got a reply from Price objecting to the racism in the message while apparently trying to keep it a private rebuke, he sent this response:

“The way things are today, you gotta laugh every now and then. I wanna see the coloring contests.”

Which is when Price went public with the dispute. Now Grose offers a groveling public apology, and one hopes sincerely, but anyone this clueless doesn’t belong in public office on a brain-cell-count basis alone.  Let’s hope the voters of Los Alamitos do more than cringe with Grose.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

The funniest part is… these are the same people you expect to support Piyush! :D

benny shakar on February 26, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Why not plant watermelons around the whitehouse, it should get some use since the president obviously lives on his airplane and is as always, not present and busy avoiding conflict. He has the media to fight his battles.

workingforpigs on February 26, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Race, for 1, you scare me when you talk to yourself and b, don’t waste your time on the Dean. He’s either a plant or the biggest, kook Ron Paul follower of all time.

hawkdriver on February 26, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Replying to Dean couldn’t be any more pointless than repyling to The Race Card.

The Race Card on February 26, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Replying to Dean couldn’t be any more pointless than repyling to The Race Card.

The Race Card on February 26, 2009 at 1:34 PM

We don’t discriminate on the basis of idiocy or sanity.

The Race Card on February 26, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Replying to Dean couldn’t be any more pointless than repyling to The Race Card.

The Race Card on February 26, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Lol…. you’re one the few people I would drink with.

Cheers!

Cody1991 on February 26, 2009 at 1:38 PM

This is where some conservatives really hurt the conservative movement. This is clearly a racist stereotype, intended to degrade someone because of his race, and contorting yourself to defend it just confirms that the “racist” hangtag that is very unfortunately on all our necks has some basis.

It’s not just stupid. Degrading a person based on their race is sick.

I can’t stand Obama, but not because he’s black, and I don’t count his blackness among the things that make him a bad guy.

If you don’t feel the same, please at least be wise enough to keep your racist mouth shut. Yes, if you were a liberal, you could get away with it – but you’re not, and you’re getting it all over the rest of us. And those of us who aren’t knuckle-dragging bigots longing for Dixie resent being associated with this kind of “joke”.

capitalist piglet on February 26, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Racist-schmasist… Liberal name-calling is going to happen regardless of how anyone feels about anything. It’s all they’ve got.

barton on February 26, 2009 at 1:45 PM

That presumably is a racial stereotype, although I have always found it a strange one as I like watermelon a lot and I am a blue-eyed Devil. However it is something, in the greater scheme of things, that is very mild. Does everyone, these days, have to be a princess who can feel a pea under forty mattresses? People used to be a lot stronger.

MB4 on February 26, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I think the better way to handle insults is to do like the American colonialists. They turned Yankee Doodle into their antheum! And today we still sing it as a badge of honor to have once been insulted by the stuff shirted Brits!

Now that is the American way.

petunia on February 26, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Why not plant watermelons around the whitehouse,

workingforpigs on February 26, 2009 at 1:29 PM

And a buch of other stuff too. He could call it his I won! Victory garden. FDR had one I believe. Of course FDR’s was for victory over the Germans and Japanese and OHB’s would be for victory over free enterprise and the First Amendment, but ah, such is life.

MB4 on February 26, 2009 at 2:04 PM

MB4 on February 26, 2009 at 2:04 PM

You know that is what is not funny. Obama has really killed America. His change is this. Signs of wealth will not be tolerated. In fact wealth, power prestiage are no longer laudable goals they are now social sigma. And will be punished by Obama’s new laws. Obama has killed the American Dream and it took only one month for him to do it.

And his supporters shout: Yes we can! Yes they did.

petunia on February 26, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Oh, I get it. Calling black people monkeys = ok. Saying they eat watermelon = not ok.

Got it!

Constant Parrhesia on February 26, 2009 at 2:13 PM

There’s simply no place for this kind of crap. If we’re going to point out Matthews’s and Thomas’s racism, then we have to police it on our own side too. Because they have a double standard does not and should not mean we follow suit. It’s not about PC. It’s about courtesy, respect, and human dignity.

Gina on February 26, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Got it!

Constant Parrhesia on February 26, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Who in the world said calling black people monkeys was okay?

And (before someone brings this up) no, calling President Bush a monkey wasn’t okay either. It was just as bad.

As for the watermelon thing, it’s an old stereotype. Maybe some people posting are too young to realize this, but it’s true. I don’t know where it came from, but I know what the intent behind it is in this case…and it’s indefensible.

capitalist piglet on February 26, 2009 at 2:26 PM

First, he’s no “concern troll”

LastRick on February 26, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Thus proving my point that his faux concern works on some people.

csdeven on February 26, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Obama has really killed America. His change is this. Signs of wealth will not be tolerated. In fact wealth, power prestige are no longer laudable goals they are now social sigma. And will be punished by Obama’s new laws.

petunia on February 26, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Maybe Obama is using the North Korean model. Maybe we can call it “Dear Leader Obama’s mini-me songbun”.

In the aftermath of the Korean War, North Korea imposed the notion of “songbun” on its citizenry. The poor and shiftless for being poor and shiftless had “good” songbun, and today they are the privileged class for having failed most impressively. The successful in North Korea were demonized for being that way, and today they are the bottom caste in a society that has committed economic suicide right before our eyes.

So while it’s surely a reach to suggest the U.S. is going the way of North Korea, it’s also true that bad policy has a way of slowly wrecking societies over time. At present, with the federal government creating incentives whereby companies will be rewarded by the tax code for not laying off unproductive employees, and just the same where irresponsible home buyers are being sanctified for being irresponsible, the U.S. political class is imposing its own, minor form of songbun; these actions signaling our nation’s long-term economic decline.
- John Tamny

MB4 on February 26, 2009 at 2:33 PM

It wont be too long that some scum bag racist will demand the White House be painter purple. I’m sure ChimpyOThadeus has already OK’d his militant whitey hating wife’s new decorating scheme for the interior.

csdeven on February 26, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Got it!

Constant Parrhesia on February 26, 2009 at 2:13 PM

No, I think you rather missed the whole point.

MB4 on February 26, 2009 at 2:35 PM

MB4 on February 26, 2009 at 2:33 PM

And Chimpy and his ilk will enjoy all the luxuries that commie leaders have always enjoyed.

Shelter.
Heat.
Electricity.
Water.
Food.
Money.

Etc, etc, etc……

csdeven on February 26, 2009 at 2:39 PM

benny shakar on February 26, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Actually, people’s politics often trump their personal biases.

For example, when talking to the uncle of my foster brother that my mother had finally managed to track down, the guy told my mom, “Yeah….I don’t really think this family has much trouble with n*ggers anymore because I’m gonna vote for the n*gger because that’s who the Democrats are running this year, so it ain’t really an issue no more.”

Besides, if those ‘ignorant, red-necked racists in that backwards Southern state Louisiana’ (sorry, just channeling my inner liberal) have no problem electing Piyush to a statewide office, you’re kidding yourself if you think the rest of the Republican party would have a problem with his race either.

JadeNYU on February 26, 2009 at 2:42 PM

OK, this one’s racist … and really stupid

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.

Stupid? Yeah, but I’m glad he exposed his true colors. They should can him.

I’m sure that the town will see a flurry of lawsuits by city employees alleging discrimination by this guy… frankly, with such a warped view of race relations, I would be shocked if he didn’t have a pattern of discriminating against minorities.

Y-not on February 26, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I’m sorry, I thought it was funny. Problem is, no one has a sense of humour anymore. Racist? So what. Rap songs are racist and these idiots make a fortune off them. Your Prez’s wife is racist and she is the First Lady. When people let the label do the defining, political correctness wins and white guilt will continue to rule. Let it go and LAUGH A LITTLE. It does a body good…
(Ok, ready for the bombardment of crap I am sure to receive. But as a Canadian, racism just isn’t something I am used to, nor do I suffer from any white guilt. My hubby is half Native Canadian, so I have had my share of ‘honky’ ‘white bread’ and ‘cracker’ thrown at me. No big deal. I am used to dealing with the ‘whahoos’, and it doesn’t offend him either…)

pcbedamned on February 26, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Hey JadeNYU – F*ck YOU! You liberal trash from NY. Stop watching Bill Maher and visit the South sometime – you ignorant, arrogant Northern no-nothing.

Sporty1946 on February 26, 2009 at 3:03 PM

JadeNYU on February 26, 2009 at 2:42 PM

The “Bubba’s for Bobby” threw all the libs for a loop. It was great. But….. sssshhhhhhh…… don’t tell anyone. We want Benny ShortShanks, DTMH and the rest to believe as they choose. (It’s part of the VWWC.):)

Cody1991 on February 26, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I think it’s legitimate humor. The only “racism” that plagues this country is pompous narcissistic liberal blacks (and a few of other ethnicities) trying to stoke the flames of racial hatred in order to advance their politics — without regard for the collateral damage that ensues when you devote an entire career to convincing blacks that they’ll never be able to make anything of themselves.

I think the watermelon joke is funny because it pokes fun at the kind of people who are stupid enough to get offended. It brings out the lunatics whose dream in life is to be a victim.

Granted, Mayor Grose (ethnicity conspicuously omitted from the story) was probably playing with political fire by sending the joke from his personal account. But his real mistake was the apology. The only way out of something like this is full steam ahead — tell them what a bunch of paranoid nitwits they are for taking the bait. And ask the media, what, why do you liberals see a watermelon patch and suddenly think “African Americans”?

joe_doufu on February 26, 2009 at 3:07 PM

When pictures of watermelons are outlawed, only outlaws will have pictures of watermelons.

Itchee Dryback on February 26, 2009 at 3:13 PM

joe_doufu on February 26, 2009 at 3:07 PM

What do the watermelons signify, then? What is the “joke” in this image?

Y-not on February 26, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I found a picture of the guy (googled Los Alamitos City Council) and he is white, but interestingly, I can find no mention of his political party anywhere. Certainly not in the news article that broke the story.

Knowing what we know about the media, that can only mean one thing: HE’S A DEMOCRAT

joe_doufu on February 26, 2009 at 3:27 PM

joe_doufu on February 26, 2009 at 3:27 PM

He was endorsed by the Republican Party of Orange County in the 2006 election. OC has a reputation as a conservative county, so I would be surprised if he is a Democrat.

This story seems to have hit the intertubes much more virally than the NY Post comic strip did and most of the articles I’ve found refer to him as a Republican.

Y-not on February 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM

OK, bad taste, but “horrified”. The language is getting so mangled it is impossible to know what each of us is talking about. for example the use of the word facist. Horror is for the oh say, decapitation of an innocent reporter of the killing a few thousand people by flying a plane into their building. NOT for some trite reference to the president. I know it is a lousy defense, but compared to what was emailed around about Chimpy Bush it is mild. Now you cant even use the monkey reference.

pgrossjr on February 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM

apoole on February 26, 2009 at 8:47 AM

csdeven on February 26, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Mark Garnett on February 26, 2009 at 9:50 AM

The Dean on February 26, 2009 at 10:06 AM

This thread really brought out the racists.

Whenever there’s a post that even hints at race on HotAir you can be guaranteed there are going to be a handful of people who make all Republicans looks like racist idiots.

Nonfactor on February 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM

That’s kinda funny. No matter if politically correct, it summons a chuckle!

During the summer time, there’s not a week goes by that you won’t find ice cold Texas watermelon in our middle class home. I won’t lie…I loves me some watermelon!

I’m white, I love watermelon and I’m not ashamed to admit it. I like orange watermelons too.

If you want to cry “racist” at something, take a look at some of Ron Paul’s old racist newsletters.

BruthaMan on February 26, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Sorry, but I am not seeing the racism in that cartoon, and I have lived in the Atlanta area for all of my 44 years.

I define the term “racism” as when a member of one race suggests that a member of another race is somehow inferior based solely on the color of their skin.

This cartoon, though insensitive, does not rise to my definition of racism.

Its sad to see that hyper-sensitivity has now trickled more and more over to the right in recent years. We seem to be preoccupied with worrying about those we might offend.

BTW, I LOVE watermelon, fried chicken, collards and black-eye peas, too. :-)

Hell, I was practically raised on the stuff, as were a whole bunch of people I grew up with, so whatever “stereotypes” out their regarding these most traditional southern American favorites is based on a gross misconception, anyway.

I once had a business client who lived in Clayton County, Georgia. I went to his rather nice home once to meet with him, as he was interested in having some property he was considering purchasing surveyed.

When I pulled into the man’s driveway and exited my vehicle, I was greeted with the sight of a white lawn jockey.

I cracked up laughing until I had tears in my eyes, and talked my client’s wife into taking a picture of us in front of it.

That pic remained taped to my office wall for three years.

Lighten up, people.

-Dave

Dave R. on February 26, 2009 at 5:46 PM

I intend to use monkey metaphors at every possible turn when talking about politics for the next 4 years.

Ann Coulter is right about liberals and their “I’m a victim” tactics. You can apologize and apologize for an entire career (e.g. John McCain) but it will never redeem you. Apologies and concessions have as much effect on liberals as they do on Hamas. We need ALPHA conservatives who will stand their ground and deny the legitimacy of the accusations. “Lipstick on a pig” didn’t hurt Obama in the campaign, it helped him. Similarly, I think “Travis the crazed chimp” will be a home run for the first GOP Congressman ballsy enough to use the metaphor.

joe_doufu on February 26, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Re all of the alternate interpretations of the intent behind this image…
Barack Obama is not from the South.
It’s not summer.
And “victory gardens” (or Depression home gardens) typically contained a variety of staple vegetables, not a single type of melon.
So what is the significance of the watermelons, again?

Y-not on February 26, 2009 at 5:53 PM

The colour of skin doesn’t bother me, but its possible thinness does.

OldEnglish on February 26, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Democrats: Don’t dish it out if you cannot take it.

You equated Bush to the Devil, so what is sauce for the goose…..

Re all of the alternate interpretations of the intent behind this image…
Barack Obama is not from the South.
It’s not summer.
So what is the significance of the watermelons, again?

Y-not on February 26, 2009 at 5:53 PM

That Barry’s policies will turn this nation into a socialistic utopia just like North Korea, one of the largest fruit exporters in the world. That is the significance of the watermelons.

Bubba Redneck on February 26, 2009 at 6:16 PM

…..huh?

DeathToMediaHacks on February 26, 2009 at 8:22 AM

i haven’t read through the comments on this item yet, but i can guarantee that there are plenty like that in the thread: “i don’t see the ‘racism’ in this. watermelon is a delicious and healthy snack. i might’ve read it as a compliment…”

i see one trying this treatment on the word “spade”. no doubt there will be suggestive jokes about the holder speech, praising the mayor for being “cowardly”.

and then there are those who come right out with it:

The pic is hilarious! Thanks. Add a KFC sign to make it perfect.

Aristotle on February 26, 2009 at 8:28 AM

the mayor himself may be a democrat, but these are self-identified “real” conservatives on the highest-ranked conservative website. these cretins are in our midst, and no amount invoking robert byrd or drawing some phony equivalence between al sharpton’s racism and david duke’s racism is capable of airbrushing them from view.

eh on February 26, 2009 at 6:20 PM

“Typical white person”

Hmmm…

JRDFLA on February 26, 2009 at 6:26 PM

and reading a few pages is, i see that the gang-up in on DeathToMediaHacks for pointing it out, and not Aristotle.

eh on February 26, 2009 at 6:26 PM

North Korea, riiight.

In North Korea, rice is the most important food crop. Maize is second in importance, but ranks almost as high as rice in terms of planted area. Other crops include wheat, barley, potato, soybean, sugarbeet, vegetables, fruits, mulberry, sorghum, millet and buckwheat.

Agriculture: Products–rice, potatoes, soybeans, cattle, pigs, pork and eggs.
Trade (2007): Exports–$1.684 billion: minerals, non-ferrous metals, garments, chemicals/plastics, machinery/electric and electronic products, animal products, wood products, vegetable products, and precious metals. The D.P.R.K. is also thought to earn hundreds of millions of dollars from the unreported sale of missiles, narcotics, and counterfeit cigarettes, and other illicit activities.

Y-not on February 26, 2009 at 6:27 PM

eh on February 26, 2009 at 6:20 PM

I refuse to pander to one particular race, simply because they demand it, because that would be racist.

OldEnglish on February 26, 2009 at 6:28 PM

By the way, some ribs and sauce, collard greens, corn bread, baked beans and unsweet ice tea followed by watermelon always sounds good! As for fried chicken, I can take it or leave it.
Now I’ve never met a hot dog I didn’t like, and everything goes with champagne!

joe_doufu on February 26, 2009 at 5:48 PM

YEAH!!!!

Bubba Redneck on February 26, 2009 at 6:29 PM

North Korea right indeed!:

From Wilkpedia:

North Korea is currently one of the world’s top ten producers of fresh fruit[53] and the 15th largest producer of apples in the world.[54] It has substantial natural resources and is the world’s 18th largest producer of iron and zinc,[55][56] having the 22nd largest coal reserves in the world.[57] It is also the 15th largest fluorite producer[58] and 12th largest producer of copper and salt in Asia.[59][60] Other major natural resources in production include lead, tungsten, graphite, magnesite, gold, pyrites, fluorspar and hydropower.[61]

Not to mention it is a one party state with a leader that highly encourages a cult of personality. Sound like anyone we know…..

Bubba Redneck on February 26, 2009 at 6:36 PM

North Korea right indeed!:

From Wilkpedia:

Oh, Wikipedia. Silly me going to the U.S. Department of State for my source.

Y-not on February 26, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Your breath stinks from the balls of shit that roll out of it.

csdeven on February 26, 2009 at 10:06 AM

get a new line.

eh on February 26, 2009 at 6:41 PM

To “eh” and “Y-not”. You have asked in various ways “What’s so funny about watermelons if not racism?”

The answer is that the watermelon picture is funny in the same way dropping a shiny quarter on the floor in front of the Maine congressional delegation would be funny. There’s nothing inherently funny about a watermelon or a five dollar bill. What’s funny is that a simple everyday object can immediately cut through all the PR and cause the worst kinds of people in society to immediately reveal the true nature of their character.

joe_doufu on February 26, 2009 at 6:43 PM

oops I started with “five dollar bill” and changed it to “shiny quarter” and missed editing the second mention

joe_doufu on February 26, 2009 at 6:44 PM

joe_doufu on February 26, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I agree with you that everyone’s true character is coming out on this thread.

Y-not on February 26, 2009 at 6:52 PM

i didn’t ask any question.

eh on February 26, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Dave R. on February 26, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Liberals use the same definitions as normal people do, it’s just that their underlying assumptions are completely different.

The first time I read the case “Brown vs. Board of Education,” (the ultra-liberal forced-busing precedent), I just kept shaking my head all the way through — it made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

Then I stopped, and re-read it; this time undertaking the liberal assumption that black people are inherently inferior to white people. Suddenly, what had seemed nothing but a long string of non-sequiturs all fell perfectly into place. Turns out the judge’s logic was flawless; only his assumptions were twisted.

Now you try it: First, assume that all black people are inherently inferior to white people. Then accept that watermelons are (for some reason; doesn’t matter what) associated with black people.

Vuala!

See? Now the liberal definition makes perfect sense: Watermelon = insult.

logis on February 26, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I still don’t see why any of this should affect the Easter Egg hunt.

DrZin on February 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM

This thread really brought out the racists.

Nonfactor on February 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Yes, its a shame that 95% of republicans give the rest a bad name.

benny shakar on February 26, 2009 at 9:03 PM

I personally could care less.

With all of the faux cries of racism, and ever since finding out that only white people can be racist, I refuse to give a tinkers damn. Instead, I work to be the best racist I can be.

DannoJyd on February 26, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I know a lot of people of color who are against big government, work hard and are Christian folks who never vote for democrats but they are in the minority obviously. I used to be a democrat but after the McGovernites took the party over in 72 and went bonkers on abortion rights I had to convert to the GOP.

garydt on February 26, 2009 at 9:17 PM

benny shakar on February 26, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Idiot…ever heard of the racist Byrd or Biden. you friggin joke

Jamson64 on February 26, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Benny, you should realize that democrats by far do not answer easy questions such as yourself. I am part Native American and believe me I see racism all the time by the lib social workers I have to deal with. You are painting with a wide brush on the gop who you claim are ninety five percent racists. Not to change the subject, can you tell me what was Kerrys plan on Iraq? Ive been waiting for nearly 5 years.

garydt on February 26, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Idiot…ever heard of the racist Byrd or Biden. you friggin joke

Jamson64 on February 26, 2009 at 9:18 PM

i haven’t read through the comments on this item yet, but… these are self-identified “real” conservatives on the highest-ranked conservative website. these cretins are in our midst, and no amount invoking robert byrd or drawing some phony equivalence between al sharpton’s racism and david duke’s racism is capable of airbrushing them from view.

it’s just tired and predictable.

so, watermelon jokes aren’t obviously racist, but “clean and articulate” is a settled argument that the democrats are the racists or the worse racists?

eh on February 26, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Benny never seems to answer me or others when he comes on. He must strictly listen to MSM all day long. If a person does that he misses out so much news that they omit. The alternative media sure fills up the gaps that the MSM trys to censor. Have heard that MSM are lazy but I bet they just censor what will look good for the democrats.

garydt on February 26, 2009 at 9:46 PM

eh on February 26, 2009 at 9:28 PM

who said anything like that?

why do you have to make stuff up?

i did not

you tools kill me

so predictable

Jamson64 on February 26, 2009 at 9:50 PM

eh on February 26, 2009 at 9:28 PM

idiot.where did i mention anything about the watermelon joke not being racist or that anything was settled?

you make me sick..fool…be a tool …i will not stand for your bs. f*chwad

Jamson64 on February 26, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Jamson64 on February 26, 2009 at 9:52 PM

rage.

listen, apply some of your outrage against the racist republicans you’re circling your wagons around with stupid retorts like, “robert byrd!”

eh on February 26, 2009 at 10:18 PM

eh–

The post on this site made the point

Funny you bring up byrd but not biden

what a surprise

my original post was in response to your stupidity not the post

again why do you lie and distort?

bet you never expressed any outrage against biden or even the ones racism. remember typical white woman?

nah you are selective while i am not

in fact you are a liar. proven at that.

get a new name…eh sounds like a beavis and butthead line…kid

Jamson64 on February 26, 2009 at 10:30 PM

again for the slow minded

Jamson64 on February 26, 2009 at 10:32 PM

i’m looking for your outrage directed at the racist comments left by conservatives in this thread. not finding it.

eh on February 26, 2009 at 10:37 PM

eh—

you are really slow aren’t you?

you could not answer a yes no question . why i would expect you to handle anything more complex i will never know.

laughable

gnite

Jamson64 on February 26, 2009 at 10:42 PM

one last note…anyone ever notice how trolls never answer a direct question. something very dishonest about it. not that i am surprise as usually these fools are liberals and that is their typical m.o.

Jamson64 on February 26, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I am deeply embarrassed in receiving your email, and for any harm or hurt that it may have caused. It was poor judgement on my part and was never intended to be offensive to Ms. Price, your company or anyone in the African American Community.

What kind of an apology is THAT?

Here’s how you’re supposed to do it:

I’m sorry you misinterpreted our cartoon of the watermelons on the White House lawn. The watermelons are actually a long-time symbol among Jehova’s Witnesses in protest against the mindless celebration of Easter by so many Americans. If you didn’t understand that then, well that’s a reflection of your Afrocentrism, and we can recommend Jehovah’s Witness sensitivity training for you and your staff at any time.

Now that’s an apology Cynthia McKinney would be proud of.

smellthecoffee on February 26, 2009 at 10:50 PM

I wasn’t immediately taken aback by this picture. The watermelon stereotype is alive and well along with the chicken, baby daddy, gangster, welfare and all other stigmas. With that being said, the bigger issue here seems to be that our national community is being agitated day in and day out. Tar the artist and move on, this isn’t as bad as the monkey cartoon IMHO

hiphopconservative on February 27, 2009 at 1:27 AM

Lol…. you’re one the few people I would drink with.

Cheers!

Cody1991 on February 26, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I’ll buy the first round.

The Race Card on February 27, 2009 at 1:52 AM

(evasive mischarictarization of the racist smear)…

Now that’s an apology Cynthia McKinney would be proud of.

smellthecoffee on February 26, 2009 at 10:50 PM

maybe, but what does mckinney have to do with any of this? the people talking the kind of nonsence you were satarizing can be seen upthread.

y-not listed all of the evasive mischaracterizations offered by racist conservatives:

1) it’s about obama’s non-existent southern heritage (huh?)
2) it’s about global warming (lol!)
3) it’s about victory gardens (wtf?)
4) it’s supposed to be about n. korea somehow.

peel all that away, and you’re left with the cranks declaring the right to make racist jokes about the president.

they’re here, you can just scroll up and read them, and they’re conservatives.

so why drag mckinney out of her padded cell and into this?

eh on February 27, 2009 at 9:37 AM