Audio: Michael Steele sends some “slum love” to Bobby Jindal; Update: Lefty talk show mocks Jindal’s race

posted at 5:35 pm on February 26, 2009 by Allahpundit

I blogged the phantom Helen Thomas “Slumdog” crack yesterday so I’m obliged to blog this. Big/obvious difference between the two: Steele doesn’t mean it as a putdown but as a playful jibe to signal common cultural ground with Jindal. (Of course, that’s also the difference between whites impermissibly using the N-word towards blacks and blacks permissibly using it with each other, and yet some conservatives reject that out of hand as an indefensible double standard.) Even so, knowing that the left will accept even the thinnest reed on which to build its argument that all Republicans are racist, he should have resisted Sliwa’s invitation to say it. Bad media management from a guy who’s supposed to be good at it.

Read the extended excerpts at the link and see for yourself how painfully heavy-handed Sliwa is in trying to play up Steele’s race. He name-drops not one, not two, but three different hip-hop stars in the span of about six questions. Exit question: If Steele’s off the hook on the “Slumdog” joke because of the common-ground aspect, what’s Coulter’s excuse?

Update: Ah, there’s that progressive spirit we know and love. Lots more of this in Jindal’s future if/when he finally runs for president.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I don’t care if anyone says slumdog and jindal or steele or barack or race or blue scrotums or watermelons or monkey in the same sentence. To pretend that people do not see race or sex is naive. People do and there is nothing we can do about it unless we all smelt and swirl up together in a big kettle to create one homogenous being, and that is not going to happen. It is just stupid. Get over it. Let’s talk policies and world view and not focus on the stupid racial, ethnic or sexual stuff. We will always have some of that as long as people have differences. We should take it for what it is- stupid.

bloggless on February 26, 2009 at 7:37 PM

So, no, I am not going to blame McCain for failing to please Coulter.

Fine, but don’t blame Coulter for McCain’s loss. That was all on him.

Further, prior to Palin, Coulter was doing her best to make the case for conservatives to support him in spite of their differences. If he hadn’t picked Palin, her “Get Drunk and Vote for McCain” approach (and website) would have helped ensure my vote. It was smart of her to be upfront about the differences and still find a way to advocate for him.

Kensington on February 26, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Getting tough out there for a blogger. But hey, you’ve got almost 100 comments so far.

thirteen28 on February 26, 2009 at 7:29 PM

? say what?

bloggless on February 26, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Terrye, here are her comments on Miers, specifically in regards to the Ivy League.

Contrary to the Bush administration’s disingenuous arguments, it’s not simply that Miers did not attend a top law school that makes her unqualified for the Supreme Court. (But that’s a good start!) It’s that she did not go on to rack up any major accomplishments since then, either.

And for what’s it’s worth, here’s what Michelle Malkin had to say.

Exit strategy hinged on refusal to release privileged White House documents. (Ed Morrissey and Charles Krauthammer called it.) Whatever. We know the real reasons. Now, onto a candidate that conservatives can be proud of, okay?

A few others…

Blogger reax:

Red State’s Mike Krempasky: “Ok everyone – back to the barracks, let’s get ready to get behind a nominee we can support.”

Ed Morrissey: “Now can we nominate a candidate whose qualities and track record presumes we control the Senate?”

Scott Ott has already fired off a spoof: “Miers Withdraws to ‘Spend More Time with Humans’”

It’s the people who didn’t think she was an inappropriate pick that I wonder about.

Esthier on February 26, 2009 at 7:41 PM

BTW, I blame Coulter instead of McCain because got the nomination for the Republican party and so far at least that is left up to the GOP voters, not Coulter.

Terrye on February 26, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Again, she was far, far, far from the only one who was upset by the pick. Michelle Malkin, Mary Katheryn Ham, Hannity, Rush, the vast majority of Hot Air members, so many people didn’t and still don’t like McCain.

Why McCain supporters never want to blame McCain’s loss on himself is beyond me.

Esthier on February 26, 2009 at 7:44 PM

The funniest thing about Mike Malloy? He still uses the “speaking truth to power” schtick. Pretty much tells you all you need to know about him.

clearbluesky on February 26, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Ya don’t understand. When Libs skirt the edge, it’s not ‘racism’, it’s “comedy”, “good natured fun”, “all in jest”. I ask Obama if he’d like some watermelon, all hell would break loose. Liberals = “Nuance”. Conservatives = Hatred.
See, so simple, even a Democrat could do it.

GarandFan on February 26, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Nice to see the Obama waffles back at CPAC.

SnarkVader on February 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM

ROFL…Mike Malloy??? I thought he was dead. Last I heard from him, he was getting booted off of WSB in Atlanta (Rush — on another station — was annihilating his ratings).

ddrintn on February 26, 2009 at 8:09 PM

KATHY BAY MALLOY (50:34) in mocking East Indian voice: Hello, my name is Bobby, how may I give you excellent customer service today, I hear you are having problems with hard drive. I am so very sorry this is happening to you, ma’am (Mike Malloy laughs throughout)

MagicTragic Negroes losers

The Race Card on February 26, 2009 at 8:14 PM

No hate comments for the big A after taking a shot at Coulter? Has she lost her touch or have I lost mine?

Allahpundit on February 26, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Allah hates Ann because he’s a self-described “beta-male”, and she is clearly one helluva alpha-bitch (and I mean that as a sincere compliment).

Disturb the Universe on February 26, 2009 at 8:17 PM

So much for diversity…

Cr4sh Dummy on February 26, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Obviously, Ann was making fun of liberals’ ridiculous attitudes towards Indians and Indian-Americans. Slumdog had already won rave reviews–except from actual Bollywood fans. Matthews and Biden had already made their slurs. Ann was simply mocking the bigotry she rightly knew would be showered on Jindal by the tolerant liberals.

Christien on February 26, 2009 at 9:07 PM

If he hadn’t picked Palin, her “Get Drunk and Vote for McCain” approach (and website) would have helped ensure my vote…..

Kensington on February 26, 2009 at 7:38 PM

So, we have you to thank for Obama-lama-ding-dong because you just couldn’t vote for McVain and stayed home. I know, you had to send a message to RNC and teach them a lesson.

belad on February 26, 2009 at 11:13 PM

belad on February 26, 2009 at 11:13 PM

No, no, no. Let me clarify.

If he hadn’t picked Palin, I would have taken a vomit bag into the booth with me when I voted for McCain. Once he picked Palin, I voted for the ticket eagerly. And went door-to-door in Pennsylvania. And spent many nights working the phones for McCain/Palin.

Kensington on February 27, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Ha! Now that’s good. (Both the insight and the coinage.)

Gilda on February 26, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Gilda, missed you around here. And, that arugula pic is still the best of all. You are the greatest. Best always.

Terrye, I don’t like Beck at all. Heard him on the radio once, for a long drive from LA to SD, while he was filling in for John and Ken. He’s too self-centered, almost obsessed. There’s something untoward about him.

Entelechy on February 27, 2009 at 12:49 AM

If they didn’t know Jindal’s background, there is no way any of these idiots would even know he was Indian. The reason making fun of Al Sharpton’s and the likes voices are funny is because THEY REALLY SOUND LIKE THUGGISH MORONS.

Speedwagon82 on February 27, 2009 at 2:11 AM

Michelle Malkin was smart to have invested daily attention for a few months making her Vent videos and getting folks to make a habit to come to this site..

Because I think that’s probably the only reason I still come here. I certainly arent’ attracted to articles that feed off “Oh this is something completely irrelevent that the Left is not going to like”

Look at the title of this “Steele sends some ‘slum love’”

Um not quite… “Steele Repeats Curtis Silwa’s wordplay” is more like it.

And then linking that to Coulter’s mocking the Left’s mocking Jindal.

Cripes… the energy of this site just brings me down…. more down than I generally am because of the sad state of this country.

Michelle: Get another deity to run this place.

VinceP1974 on February 27, 2009 at 5:25 AM

The interview tried to get Mr. Steele to slip into a slur, but Mr. Steele did not buy into it and handled it well by bringing it back to the real topic – government needs to be brought under control of the people who created it not the people who use it to control your actions.

MSGTAS on February 27, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Christien on February 26, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Oh, please. If you wanted to be a one-sided apologist, you could say the exact same thing about the Malloys: that they were just making fun of conservatives’ attitudes towards Indians. It’s bogus either way.

What Coulter said was racist and stupid. What the Malloys said was racist and stupid (at least Mike Malloy admitted as much). What Steele said was ill-advised, but the least-bad of the three.

(BTW, Michele Bachmann’s “You be da man!” was also racist and stupid)

orange on February 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Esthier on February 26, 2009 at 7:44 PM

That is the million dollar question.

Elric66 on February 27, 2009 at 2:44 PM