Quote of the day

posted at 10:35 pm on February 25, 2009 by Allahpundit

“Jindal’s résumé, intellectual confidence and command of policy make him the anti-Palin. Fairly or unfairly, media and intellectual elites (including some conservative elites) regard Gov. Sarah Palin as an inhabitant of another cultural planet. Jindal, while also religious and conservative, speaks the language of the knowledge class and will not be easily caricatured or dismissed. To journalists, policy experts and Rhodes scholars, Jindal is also “one of us.”

At this point in the election cycle, no Republican can be considered more than the flavor of the month. But this is an appealing one.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

My alternative QOTD (no one famous, but a QOTD, anyway – from LiveScience):

President Obama’s speech to Congress last night might have emphasized urgency over historical accuracy when he stated, “And I believe the nation that invented the automobile cannot walk away from it.”
I like the inclusion of “might”.

progressoverpeace on February 26, 2009 at 12:20 AM

I think Obama was skipping class and smoking pot with his friends during history and economics classes. His understanding seems to be lacking. I mean for such a smart guy he really is a dunce on those two topics.

petunia on February 26, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Nothing against Jindal, I like the fella.

WaPo: Shove the “Knowledge Class” up your stovepipe.

Limerick on February 26, 2009 at 12:32 AM

“Everyone’s on a first name basis with Bibi.”

Dude, you blew our chance to be special.

notropis on February 26, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Tina Fey/Kenneth-the-page 2012

benny shakar on February 26, 2009 at 12:33 AM

You have no idea how special the people are who post at HotAir.

notropis on February 26, 2009 at 12:31 AM
Everyone’s on a first name basis with Bibi. :)

progressoverpeace on February 26, 2009 at 12:28 AM

I’m easily impressed.

petunia on February 26, 2009 at 12:33 AM

petunia on February 26, 2009 at 12:33 AM

He’s just a guy from Cheltenham High School, outside of Philly.

progressoverpeace on February 26, 2009 at 12:39 AM

I’m going to take a pee, shakar my benny and then hit the hay.

hawkdriver on February 26, 2009 at 12:40 AM

petunia on February 26, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Or, possibly, he means to spend $40 billion bailing out the German auto industry? It’s tough to tell with the idiot messiah.

progressoverpeace on February 26, 2009 at 12:41 AM

What in great tarnation is “intellectual confidence”?

Again, Palin’s position on the Stimulus is identical to Jindal’s. She’s stated that she’s not taking anything which will obligate her state to budget additional funds. I don’t think you could stick a sheet of paper between her position and that of Jindal.

So maybe she got there by “using the Force”, so to speak.

Regardless we have two stalwarts trying to hold the line against people like my “girlie man” governor. When people like Palin and Jindal look like they are sporting virtual six-paks, and Arnie looks like someone kicked sand in his face, something is changing in this world, and it isn’t Obama.

Of course, by the time the tearing down is completed, Jindal will be in the same boat as Palin — detested.

unclesmrgol on February 26, 2009 at 12:49 AM

‘we have two stalwarts trying to hold the line against people like my “girlie man” governor.’

Thank you. A lone note of sanity.

notropis on February 26, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Palin/Jindal
Jindal/Palin

Both tickets are fine by me. Either ticket knocks the socks off anything else on the horizon. I’d love to see the two of ‘em work something out, followed by 16 years of sequential conservative Presidency and (yum yum) USSC nominations.

“To secure the blessings of liberty, for ourselves and our posterity…”

DaMav on February 26, 2009 at 12:52 AM

I think some of us are jumping on the Jindal bandwagon because the media is constantly trying to pin down Palin as some kind of imbecile. Listen to Sowell. He knows who is good and I see he likes Palin. She was treated by the media unfairly and was mischaracterized. It didn’t help that some in the McLame campaign also tried to defame her. When the primaries come, she’ll annihilate the competition.

jencab on February 25, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Jen, you are correct. I think Sarah will really shine if Jindal doesn’t get his act together. David Keene told me they were disappointed that Sarah couldn’t make it to CPAC, but he told the people at the reception here that they still expect an estimated 8,500 people. That is encouraging since it shows that in time of need, conservatives are beginning to rally.

Sapwolf on February 26, 2009 at 1:00 AM

“To secure the blessings of liberty, for ourselves and our posterity…”

DaMav on February 26, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Thanks DaMav, and with that wonderful thought I retire to bed.

Sapwolf on February 26, 2009 at 1:02 AM

I like Jindal, but is it just me or does it still seem like 2012 would be too soon for him? I think this go round is Sarah’s to lose, which is no bad thing at all.

Tacitus on February 26, 2009 at 1:03 AM

There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.

– James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

These founding fathers were so misguided!!

WashJeff on February 26, 2009 at 1:04 AM

These founding fathers were so misguided!!

WashJeff on February 26, 2009 at 1:04 AM

Devils, all! ;)

Limerick on February 26, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Fixed it. Good luck with that.

benny shakar on February 25, 2009 at 10:59 PM

You are the very definition of class benny.

Well, the very definition of low class.

soundingboard on February 26, 2009 at 1:06 AM

Damn, I got here late and can’t read any comments. But I see allapundit is combining Jindal, Palin, and GOP to get hits on HA. Just add a little God bashing and you’ve got a sure fire winner there.

R D on February 26, 2009 at 1:09 AM

To any who cares, try using the code html tag for sarchasm.

WashJeff on February 26, 2009 at 1:13 AM

The greatest [calamity] which could befall [us would be] submission to a government of unlimited powers.

– Thomas Jefferson, Declaration and Protest of Virginia, 1825. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors, ME 17:445

I got to stop reading these quote pages. These men were incredibly insighful. Sad how they have memorials, but their words mean nothing to our society.

WashJeff on February 26, 2009 at 1:15 AM

You know what they say…..if at first you don’t secede try, try, again.

Limerick on February 26, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Sar”chasm”

Can anyone bridge the divide?

notropis on February 26, 2009 at 1:27 AM

Can anyone bridge the divide?

notropis on February 26, 2009 at 1:27 AM

html?

Limerick on February 26, 2009 at 1:32 AM

The governor of Louisiana had spoken,
While the libs were all sitting around tokin.
They caught half the words,
And flipped him their birds,
Then went back to their grabass and jokin.

Limerick on February 26, 2009 at 1:42 AM

We Republicans have no Reagan looming on our horizon.

Palin, Jindal, Steele, Pawlenty, Romney, Thompson and a few others are quite exciting, but I don’t see the optimism and ‘Stars and Stripes Forever’ themes that we saw with Reagan…and that’s something I think we really need now.

It’s almost as if our strongest Conservative leaders are themselves liberalized, globalized and socialized to some extent.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 26, 2009 at 2:09 AM

“We Republicans have no Reagan looming on our horizon.”

But then, neither do the Democrats.

notropis on February 26, 2009 at 2:13 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 26, 2009 at 2:09 AM

I don’t know… the Gipper used to be a democrat before he saw the light…I wonder how many people nowadays would give anyone like that a chance in the current political arena…but I digress. I think Reagan is the kind of man you only see once every 50 or 100 years.

Tacitus on February 26, 2009 at 2:19 AM

In one month’s time the Democrats have given the Republicans a shovel-ready job.

Connie on February 26, 2009 at 2:38 AM

whenever Reagan talked I felt he was talking for me

I agree that Jindal has the uppity upper credentials the MSM demand

I disagree he is the anti-Palin

Jindal is the anti-Obama. Yang and Yin. He is the smiling optimistic, America loving appropriately schooled elitist while Obama is the scowling, negative, America-ashamed, appropriately schooled elitist

Jindal and Obama were both religious converts, but Obama converted to the church of political rage while jindal chose the Church of the Magisterium.

Palin is the non appropriately schooled anti-Obama. She is evangelical while Jindal converted to Catholicism as a Rhodes scholar in England a la Chesterton. (If one must be Christian and ivy league, at least be Catholic)

Palin and Jindal are both antidotes for Obama malaise and a pleasant change from McCain et al who did not hesitate to show disdain for the GOP base

entagor on February 26, 2009 at 2:43 AM

I often find myself wondering why more good people don’t choose to go into public service, I mean – even among democrats- out of a country of ~300 million people, the best and brightest that we have to govern and lead us are… Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and the One in all his glory? Really? But the mudslinging in the media against figures that threaten MSM memes like Palin provides its own answer I suppose…

Tacitus on February 26, 2009 at 2:53 AM

entagor on February 26, 2009 at 2:43 AM

Connie on February 26, 2009 at 2:53 AM

“We Republicans have no Reagan looming on our horizon.”

But then, neither do the Democrats.

notropis on February 26, 2009 at 2:13 AM

They don’t want another Gipper. These grasping collectivists are preening the next Marx, Che, or Pol Pot.

TMK on February 26, 2009 at 3:49 AM

I kinda doubt they WANT another Pol Pot. The last one pretty much sucked, by anyone’s definition.

notropis on February 26, 2009 at 4:23 AM

I think Reagan is the kind of man you only see once every 50 or 100 years.

Tacitus on February 26, 2009 at 2:19 AM

Absolutely.

While Obama has merely been propped up all along to seem like one. Isn’t that pathetic?

Mommypundit on February 26, 2009 at 5:32 AM

TMK on February 26, 2009

I was going to suggest Stalin, but he was more honest than Ogabe. Stalin didn’t care who knew the truth about him. He had the New York Times in his pocket. Hey…wait a minute…deja vu moment here.

SKYFOX on February 26, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Ignore the idiots behind the curtain!

Let’s drop the intellectual BS! We see where intellectuals lead us……… into two way traffic!

If you look both ways before you cross, I’ll listen to you.

Easydoesit on February 26, 2009 at 6:49 AM

I’m going to take a pee, shakar my benny and then hit the hay.

hawkdriver on February 26, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Didn’t your mother tell you that you could go blind if you shakar your benny?

AZCoyote on February 26, 2009 at 6:50 AM

If you hate it here so much, why do you keep coming back?

SnarkVader on February 25, 2009 at 11:12 PM

One name… Ed Morrisey.

psrch on February 26, 2009 at 7:41 AM

TMK on February 26, 2009 at 3:49 AM

Better than having the business world bring in a Augusto Pinochet.

sethstorm on February 26, 2009 at 7:44 AM

I think Reagan is the kind of man you only see once every 50 or 100 years.

Tacitus on February 26, 2009 at 2:19 AM

For what he’s done it’ll be more like never.

sethstorm on February 26, 2009 at 7:47 AM

To the left, Jindal is a “sort of good” colored guy, just as long as he doesn’t get too uppity.

Bishop on February 26, 2009 at 7:56 AM

sethstorm on February 26, 2009 at 7:44 AM

You post stuff that is “buy more weapons” scary.

hawkdriver on February 26, 2009 at 7:59 AM

I think that Palin can be a formidable candidate because of the way she energizes and connects with people and because she exemplifies conservative principles with her life.
However she does not come across as someone who has intellectually developed her philosophy to any depth and is consequently able to articulate it clearly and defend it. Jindal on the other hand has obviously thought a great deal about it and has a flawless consistency and mastery of conservative principles. I have no doubt he wold have hit it out of the park time after time in the Gibson and Couric interviews.
If Palin can develop that ability she will be unstoppable. And no biased interviewer or clever editing will be able to ridicule her like they did last year.

neuquenguy on February 26, 2009 at 8:05 AM

The Dems, the MSM, and unfortunately even conservative pundits, (posuers) felt completely safe in ripping Sarah Palin, pretty white women without Ivy league degrees are apparently not protected by the PC police, whereas Bobby Jindal SHOULD be somewhat safe with his resume…although after that old crone Helen Thomas’s remarks, and Chris Matthews racial slur, you have to wonder. It’s beginning to look like one isn’t allowed to be a conservative in any capacity.

anniekc on February 26, 2009 at 8:08 AM

anniekc on February 26, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Conservatives will never be PC safe. A republican candidate can be female, African American, lesbian, anti-christian, handicapped and still would be demonized. Her only chance would be to declare herself rabidly pro-abortion and anti-capitalist and if she rips the republican party daily as bigoted and heartless she might get the occasional break from the MSM (provided it is not an election year)

neuquenguy on February 26, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Oh my GODDddddddddd!

Who wrote this crap? Who would believe this way, this elite garbage? So is this what the Republican party has become?

He speaks the language of the “knowledge class”? And Palin speaks to the idiots? I like and respect Jindal, Palin, Sanford, Cantor and others, but come on…

The “knowledge class”? The “Journalist”?

First, what IS the knowledge class? And second, we have NO Journalists left in America, only PR and Press Secretaries for The Messiah…

So the Elites like Jindal, they hate Palin… the Journalists like Jindal, they hate Palin…

Who gives a rats butt what these pin heads think? I guess Allah does… The “elites” of our party gave us McSame…

As I have said before, time to take the party back to the people, us unwashed masses, us stupid people, the workers, the earners… Conservatives… Time to remove these traitors from our midst, the “elites” have cost us election after election… The Moderates, the Centerists all the RINO’s…

Good grief, are we in trouble if this is considered important what these idiots think…

Mark Garnett on February 26, 2009 at 8:20 AM

anniekc on February 26, 2009 at 8:08 AM

They’re already working on the spoof for Jindal to marginalize him. Jimmie Kimmel already had a Kenneth the Page bit. His caricature will be a goofy nerdy clueless geek. And of course, we’ll let them do it.

hawkdriver on February 26, 2009 at 8:21 AM

“P. Jindal” is an anagram of “Palin, JD.” This is a sign to the faithful that Jindal is Palin with an advanced degree.

Kralizec on February 26, 2009 at 8:22 AM

I would love a Palin-Jindal ticket.
Can you imagine the panic in the MSM? If you thought they went over the top with Palin….

neuquenguy on February 26, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Liberals are just so wonderfully tolerant , aren’t they?
They have savaged a White Evangelical Female Governor from Alaska and a young Eastern Indian Ivy League governor from Louisian. Meanwhile, they are protecting to their dying breath a Socialist President who appears to intentionally ruining this country while spending money that will not actually be earned until probably the year 3,000! And both the Governors have more administrative experience than the novice in the White House does! Oy Vey!

kingsjester on February 26, 2009 at 8:34 AM

did not put the word “be” between to and intentionally.
oops. too early.

kingsjester on February 26, 2009 at 8:36 AM

You post stuff that is “buy more weapons” scary.
hawkdriver on February 26, 2009 at 7:59 AM

May he keep posting; anything to convince the Minister of Finance that I should be allowed to acquire more firepower.

“Look honey, there really are crazy people out there.”

Bishop on February 26, 2009 at 8:39 AM

What an insult to compare Gov. Jindal to Bill Clinton. ugh

becki51758 on February 26, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Bishop on February 26, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Yeah. But he hardly ever posts during the day. The school bus picks him up.

Is it just me, or have we picked up quite a few new Trolls in the open enrollment?

kingsjester on February 26, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Bishop on February 26, 2009 at 8:39 AM

lol

kingsjester on February 26, 2009 at 8:56 AM

yep

hawkdriver on February 26, 2009 at 9:06 AM

I did read the whole article, but that little sentence says it all. Just another elite snob who doesn’t like Palin, and is quite possibly in my opinion a bigot at the very least.

4shoes on February 26, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Mark Garnett on February 26, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I agree 100%.

4shoes on February 26, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Who is the last nerdy candidate that has won a Presidential election? I can think of many who lost…

We need real men to run under the banner of the Grand Old Party. Also the candidate needs to talk about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights much more.

The Dean on February 26, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Yay! The press gets to pick the GOP candidate. Again. God knows I cannot wait for McCain Part Deux in 2012. It worked out so great in 2008.

Not that Jindal is McCain, as Jindal is actually a conservative. But let’s get serious here. Jindal has some baggage. Do you think that his odd church affiliation won’t get played way out of proportion if he ends up as the nominee? Before the MSM is done with their candidate, Jindal will be caricatured as a lunatic who bites snakes during Communion in a church populated by the banjo playing guy from Deliverance. You know it and I know it. At least with Palin, her negatives are pretty well known, what with the free anal exam the MSM gave her last fall.

In any event, we’ll see what happens over the next few years. But I will be damned if the N.Y. Times is going to pick the GOP candidate again.

Physics Geek on February 26, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Is being Catholic an “odd church affiliation”? It didn’t seem to hurt RFK.

neuquenguy on February 26, 2009 at 9:20 AM

JFK, that is

neuquenguy on February 26, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Now Rush is right. We have gone over the line with our criticism of Jindal.

I was one of the first out of the gate to criticize Jindal for his subpar rebuttal to the Messiah. It was commentary, simple as that.

Jindal had a bad night; so have many others in the history of the world. Tiger Woods, occasionally, has a bad round of golf.

Sarah Palin had a ‘bad’ interview with Katie Couric.

So what. Jindal and Sarah will have far more good days than bad. They are that talented. Please let’s move on and focus on the Messiah and his agenda.

technopeasant on February 26, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Is being Catholic an “odd church affiliation”? It didn’t seem to hurt RFK.

neuquenguy on February 26, 2009 at 9:20 AM

I was thinking of his 1994 article about performing an exorcism on someone. From TPM:

…Jindal narrated a bizarre story of a personal encounter with a demon, in which he participated in an exorcism with a group of college friends. And not only did they cast out the supernatural spirit that had possessed his friend, Jindal wrote that he believes that their ritual may well have cured her cancer.

Tell me that this won’t be a campaign issue. Mike at Cold Fury nails it here:

Believe what you will, folks, but bizarre is hardly too strong a word to describe this. And you can be assured that it will thoroughly disqualify him from ever being the leading light of a revitalized conservative Republican Party, no matter whether you think that’s right or wrong. He’ll never live it down, and any future run for higher office he may attempt will have this clanking and groaning along behind him every step of the way like Marley’s ghost rattling its spectral chains.

So, who thinks that the press will still claim Jindal is “one of us” if he wins the nomination? Anyone? Huh. I do believe that I hear crickets chirping.

Physics Geek on February 26, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Physics Geek on February 26, 2009 at 9:39 AM

If had just opted for experimenting with drugs insted we would be OK, oh well…

neuquenguy on February 26, 2009 at 9:41 AM

“The Dean”
How come your name leads to hotair.com?? Only Ed or Allah have that as their link, that I know of

FLKraKa on February 26, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Great your repeating the Liberal talking points.

Repeat it over and over enough, and people will mimic it back, that is how media brainwashing works. No Thanks, I don’t buy the latest popular lazy analysis of Palin or Jindal. I understand right now some Conservatives appear to be insecure but the answer isn’t to let the opposition define the leadership of the Republican Party. Rushbo the message isn’t getting through….What’s the frequency Kenneth LOL!

Dr Evil on February 26, 2009 at 10:24 AM

correction: Great you are repeating the Liberal talking points.

Dr Evil on February 26, 2009 at 10:25 AM

The Dean on February 26, 2009 at 9:15 AM

This is what you come back with?

Go back to infowars.

MadisonConservative on February 26, 2009 at 10:54 AM

The Dean on February 26, 2009 at 9:15 AM

I take exception with your first paragraph. Reagan was considered by most “elites” of his time to be a “girly-man”, a lightweight. Bush Sr and Jr don’t strike me as the George Patton type either…

On your second point… I could not agree more! Our leaders need to constantly talk and preach about the erosion of The Constitution, The Bill of Rights and our very way of American life under this Obamanation… Talk constantly, beat the drum, about his lies, the radical leftword lurch to Socialisam, the welfare nanny state, womb to tomb mentality… The loosers of the game of life vs the sucessful providers and earners that play by the rules…

Mark Garnett on February 26, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I think I agree with the idea that the liberal media are being kind to Jindal because they know a creationist candidate will never be voted in as president.

PattyJ on February 26, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Whether Israel has taken more “innocent” lives then it’s saved (color me skeptical) is irrelevant. Their job is to protect their citizenry. When they fail to do that they don’t deserve to be a state.

Spirit of 1776 on February 25, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Ah, but what you don’t understand (to hear guys like Dean explain it) is that, since Israel POSSESSES superior armaments, they have an obligation not to use them. Or something. Especially when the Neanderthals in Gaza choose to lob their rockets from locations that are heavily populated with non-combatants. That means Israel just has to get the crap bombed out of it, day in and day out, and just take it without responding. What we really need (Ron Paul might say) is some sort of “final solution” to the problem, so those damn Jews will quit stubbornly resisting their own destruction. Damn Jews.

Someone sent me this interesting allegory:

(And since someone will misunderstand — someone always does — I’m pro-Israel. The above was a parody.)

RegularJoe on February 26, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I posted part of this in the Rush Limbaugh column quote: Just wanted to re-iterate.

Bobby Jindal is usually more charismatic then he showed the other night, but geez, give the guy a break. How hard is it to follow “The One” when he has the Whole House and Senate plus all the other audience there in that backdrop, and Jindal has to stand in a vacant, cavernous room by himself.

Regardless of Obama’s oratory skills, Jindal still said 100 times more than than he did. A lot of words about nothing, as usual, same old, same old.

You can tell that the Dems are obviously scared of the guy by the way they are reacting. Ditto, Palin. It doesn’t matter how well they speak or carry themselves, they have to put them down because they know that Jidal and Palin, each by themselves, has more brains then Obama’s whole family put together.

I say Palin – Jidal ‘2012′ or Jindal – Palin ‘2012″! Both young, but by 2012, ten times more experienced than Obamaman!

Susanboo on February 26, 2009 at 4:26 PM