Mark Sanford: Anyone who wants Obama to fail is an idiot

posted at 9:35 pm on February 25, 2009 by Allahpundit

Not so much a substantive disagreement with Limbaugh and others in the “I hope he fails” camp as a disagreement about tone. He and Rush are both skeptical in the extreme that New Deal II will lead to anything but ruin, but Sanford’s at least nominally open to the possibility that it might work. Limbaugh, less so. Compare this bit from his interview with Hannity last month…

I am hearing many Republicans say that very thing. “Well, we want him to succeed,” and prominent Republicans! “Yes, we want him to succeed.” They have laid down. They have totally. They’re drinking the Kool-Aid, too. They have no guts to stand up for what their beliefs are because they’re afraid of criticism. They’re afraid of being called racists. They’re afraid of not having gotten with the program. Now success can be defined two ways. I said earlier, “I don’t know about this guy.” I really don’t. I’ve got my suspicions and they’re pretty close to convictions, but we’re going to have to wait to see what he does. Now if he turns out to be a Reagan, if he adds Reagan to his recipe of FDR and Lincoln … if he does not eliminate the Bush tax cuts, I would call that success. So yes, I would hope he would succeed if he acts like Reagan. But if he’s going to do FDR — if he’s going to do The New New Deal all over, which we will call here The Raw Deal — why would I want him to succeed? Look, he’s my president. The fact that he is historic is irrelevant to me now. It matters not at all. If he is going to implement a far-left agenda… Look, I think it’s already decided: a $2 trillion in stimulus? The growth of government? I think the intent here is to create as many dependent Americans as possible looking to government for their hope and salvation. If he gets nationalized health care, I mean, it’s over, Sean. We’re never going to roll that back. That’s the end of America as we have known it, because that’s then going to set the stage for everything being government owned, operated, or provided. Why would I want that to succeed? I don’t believe in that. I know that’s not how this country is going to be great in the future; it’s not what made this country great. So I shamelessly say, “No! I want him to fail.”

… to Sanford, speaking today with RCP:

And I said [to Obama], “Man to man, I dont want to disagree with you on anything. And as an American, I absolutely want you to succeed. And therefore, as an American who wants you to succeed ­ because we’re all in this boat together ­ it’s incumbent upon me, if I think an idea is a bad idea, even though I don’t want to disagree, to lay it out.” And he said his say and I said my say and he said his say and I said my say, and we called it quits.

I don’t want him to fail. Anybody who wants him to fail is an idiot, because it means we’re all in trouble. But I do think, in that same vein, if you’ve looked at the pages of history, if you’ve looked at the pages of economic data that I’ve looked at over a long period of time — I’ve got a masters in business from the University of Virginia, I’ve worked up in New York in finance — if you’ve looked at that kind of stuff and you legitimately think that something ain’t going to work, you’d be cheating him and cheating yourself if you didn’t lay it out and call an ace an ace in terms of where you’re coming from.

Exit question: Significant difference or no? And if so, how much of that is attributable to their respective professions?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The Reappointment Of The Numerous Clinton Re-Treads Is A Dark, Putrid Cloud On America. Having Tasted Power And Then Having Lost It (Many Were Found Floundering Around In Back Alley Shame And Degradation- Showing Their True Character) (They Will Now Abandon All Decency, All Morals, All Traits Of A Blessed American Patriot, To Not Lose It Again) Any Republican Who Does Not Gird For All Out War Is Not Needed In These Critical Days. To The Blind Liberal Sheep, A Word Of Advice, “A Government That Is Big Enough To Give You All That You Need, Is Strong Enough To Take All That You Have”, Thomas Jefferson.

GD on February 26, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Sanford has his “suspicions”. Rush has his convictions. ’nuff said.
Randy

williars on February 26, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Can’t wait to hear Rush rip him a new one today.

anniekc on February 26, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Mark Sanford is an idiot.

First he flip-flopped on the Stimulus, and now he sounds like a Obama apologist. This moron will never be a contender for POTUS.

He is such a lightweight compared to Palin & Jindal.

Norwegian on February 26, 2009 at 11:30 AM

You’re the idiot. We are all in trouble. And Obama is going to be the guide dog on the road to hell. And this man wants to engage in the quibble about who wants Obama to fail versus who does not want Obama to fail?

What a putz.

pabarge on February 26, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Probably just me, but what does it mean to “fail” or “succeed”? Are Republicans not allowed to verbalize aloud their differences with a Democrat president (and vice versa)? If one differs with most or all of the policies of ones political adversary, it means you want them to not be successful in their approach.

Must be one of those “let’s show the American People (and the world) that we’re all in this together” things.

I don’t remember Democrats having any problem with calling Bush a failure.

Come on, you conservative politicians; stop all this BS and start pushing back…jeez!

cranbone on February 26, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Since Obama has already failed, can we move past this?

catmman on February 26, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Why should we want Obama to succeed in doubling the National Debt and sextupling the deficit in four years?
This was a photo of float in Germany, is it racist the way a white woman is in back of Obama and appears to be groping him? If conservatives had done this float what would the leftwing media be reporting?

eaglewingz08 on February 26, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I thought the saying was ‘Calling a spade a spade”.
Is that racist now??

Fartnokker on February 26, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Look, let’s say you have a kitchen drawer that’s stuck shut, and some idiot wants to open it by using a stick of dynamite. Trying to keep him from succeeding with his plan does NOT mean you don’t want the drawer unstuck. It means you don’t want an idiot trying to do the job. You don’t want him shoving that bomb into the drawer, and you don’t want him lighting that fuse. Hell, you don’t even want him to find the matches.
tbrosz on February 26, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Best. Analogy. Yet.

logis on February 26, 2009 at 4:17 PM

tbrosz on February 26, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Best. Analogy. Yet.

logis on February 26, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Almost.

Take that same scenario, using dynamite, and apply it to constipation. That is the situation we’re in now, Obama is going to blow up our butts with dynamite…forget the drawer in the kitchen, this is going to kill us.

Geministorm on February 26, 2009 at 5:28 PM