Video: Jindal’s “awful” rebuttal

posted at 11:08 pm on February 24, 2009 by Allahpundit

“Awful” is Ace’s word but I’m in no mood to disagree. And neither are most HA commenters, judging from this mammoth thread. This was his star turn and he came off wooden, especially at the beginning. Oh well. His loss is the rest of the GOP governors’ gain.

RCP has the clip of an unknown MSNBC staffer groaning “Oh God” as Jindal walks out. Some say it’s Olbermann, but I’m skeptical. Consensus?

Update: Patterico’s sure the “Oh God” comes from Olbermann, Goldfarb’s sure it comes from Matthews. Does it matter?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8

Bambi was a citizen of Indonesia. He is probably already being blackmailed by Muslims who could make public his immigration and passport records –.expect to see more millions and billions of U.S. taxpayer money sent to terrorist Muslim nations ….

searcher484 on February 25, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Jindal was fantastic on the Today show just now. Fantastic.

MayBee on February 25, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Jindal’s speech was not an inspiring oratorical moment, but the guy made a lot of sense. And after all, this ain’t American Idol where it is all judged upon appearance and noise. The content should be of primary importance.

joedoe on February 25, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Nothing got pushed through congress without GOP support and white house support …

Oh yes it did, and if you believe otherwise you’re even more naive or confused than you appear.

rplat on February 25, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Palin a great speech? If great means dragging your opponent down into the mud, yeah she has that in aces.

Monkei on February 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM

You mean she told the truth about her opponenets…don’t you?
Truth that seems to always slip through the fingers of the MSM and never get reported.
Face it, you guys hate to get called out for your actions. And Palin smacked you down in her RNC speech.

MechEng5by5 on February 25, 2009 at 10:32 AM

*opponents*

MechEng5by5 on February 25, 2009 at 10:34 AM

joedoe on February 25, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Thank you. You took the comment right out out of my head and put it up on the screen.

RepubChica on February 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Gov. Jindal did very well. Read his transcript. He sees America very differently from the way Obama does. That makes all the dfference.

karu_servative on February 25, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Oh please, let’s stop the little girl got screwed crap.

There are a ton of professional woman on the political stage who have no bias against them and surprisingly can string sentences together without saying “also”, “you betcha” and winking.

Like Hillary Clinton… who also faced sexism from the Obamabots. Frankly, I’m a Republican and not someone who whines about isms, but it seems to me that the liberal fringe of the Democratic party sure is sexist. First all the names that Clinton was called during the campaign and then deriding Palin by calling her Caribou Barbie and forwarding pictures of her in a bikini are beyond the line. In a corporate setting, such comments and pictures would be considered sexual harrassment. (Hmm.. Methinks that the liberal fringe of the Democrat party is sexist).

I was also pointing out that many women in traditionally male professions (i.e. not teachers or nurses) have a tough time getting colleagues to take them seriously. I know that I’ve had this problem in my own career.

I know in your world tough criticism of Obama should be punished by burning at the stake, but in the real world that the rest of us live in, this is called free speech and is part of politics. The most biting thing that Palin said about Obama is that he was buddies with Bill Ayers, something which is true. Her well received convention speech ribbed him for community organizing (i.e. not having a real job) and for his ridiculous faux seal and Greek columns. These are well within the bounds of political discourse.

She is a national joke. Her political career will be limited to the idiots who elected her in Alaska, not the tons of American’s who rejected her in November.

We just had 8 years of the male version of Sarah Palin speeches, who needs more.

Monkei on February 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I actually like Dubya and voted for him twice, but he frankly wishes that he was the natural politician that Palin is.

As for the “hicks” in the red state (who like guns and Jesus) and voted for Palin, I’d really think that the voters in Alaska have better sense than the voters of IL (voted for two crooks in a row), NY (voted for Spitzer), and NJ (voted for Corzine and that gay guy who was using his office to get favors for his boyfriend).

Illinidiva on February 25, 2009 at 10:38 AM

We need to start calling things as they are and MSNBC is a left wing propaganda machine. They will do anything in their power to degrade and defame Republicans or other members of the right. This stupid utterance by some pea brain fool is disgusting but not unexpected.

rplat on February 25, 2009 at 10:39 AM

‘I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: “O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.” And God granted it.’ — Voltaire

Also, I’m not sure what deity(ies) 30 Rock prays to, but they’re very generous ones indeed.

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Obama is a great reader, I wish he would teach my kids to read with such passion about things they don’t have a clue about. I think that is why hollywood likes him. He is a great actor, only problem is his script is written by that blinking freak Pelosi. And whats wrong with Palin and Jindal, oh that’s right they have a personality and culture, dang Robama

Tremmy on February 25, 2009 at 10:48 AM

My goodness. I watched this again this morning to see if it got any better. It doesn’t. Whats with the hand movements Bobby? My wife asked me who this guy was last night. I told her it was Bobby Jindal, a possible 2012 GOP candidate.

Her next statement summed it up.

“We’re screwed. He looks like Guy Smiley & has the personality of driftwood.”

Jindal is smart. But smart doesn’t mean you can connect with the audience. He would be an excellent cabinet member to a strong conservative President.

portlandon on February 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Did he have to start with the whole “historic moment” thing? Sets the whole thing off on the wrong foot.

Count to 10 on February 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Obahmba would have made a great President on Fox’s “24″. Not so much in reality.

portlandon on February 25, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Jindal does better off the cuff that reading from a teleprompter.

becki51758 on February 25, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Count to 10 on February 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM

As soon as he went into that “my father went into the yellow pages” bit all I could think of was Steve Martin in The Jerk…”I was born a poor black boy….”

portlandon on February 25, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Gov. Tim Pawlenty has to be thinking that his own political stock is rising after Jindal’s Epic Fail last night. OTOH, he has to also be wondering whether or not it’s really worth getting into the GOP’s 2012 Presidential clown car at this point!

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Also why does Bobby Jindal want people to die in a fiery volcanic explosion?

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:37 AM

So, you’re saying that they weren’t ALREADY monitoring the volcano? You might want to get your foot out of your mouth and start thinking before you type.

Apparently the existing systems already work.

dominigan on February 25, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I’ll take substance over style any day. Jindal’s delivery could’ve been better, yes. As an immigrant and naturalized American citizen, I like what he’s saying. He appreciates America for what it is. I stayed tuned for his entire speech because personally right now I need to hear that what I believe America to be is not lost. This current administration reminds me too much of third world politics. Wake up America!

Cpoy2 on February 25, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Everyone take the lead of the Dems. No matter what Jindal says, best speech ever, amazing, Wow it made me cry, stop having a brain and just agree and go crazy over anything Jindal says. Thats how Obama got elected. When will we learn. Attack all who say it wasn’t a good speech! Call them names that have nothing to do with anything. I swear it works.

Tremmy on February 25, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Have to stop waiting for a new leader to emerge and taking more actions ourselves to demonstrate our complete disgust and outrage at the direction our government is taking. Waiting for the next election will see this country far beyond repair.

hillbilly on February 25, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Tremmy on February 25, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Many Palin supporters have already taken the lead of the Dems in this regard.

JA on February 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM

The Emperor does have clothes, does too! Does too! Does too!

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 11:13 AM

OT: Hilarious (and short) take on Obama’s “nobody messes with Joe” comment by Jonah Goldberg at NRO:

BuckeyeSam on February 25, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Evidently, it’s still PC in America to be racist against Indians and American-Indians. Hey, at least the Academy gave Slumdog eight Oscars…see how tolerant libs are?

Christien on February 25, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Kenneth on 30 Rock isn’t white? Who knew?

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 11:20 AM

So we’re judging his presidential campaign before the 2012 campaign? Awesome!

Cr4sh Dummy on February 25, 2009 at 11:22 AM

In politics first impressions never count.

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 11:23 AM

facts? What does that have to do with who was president 30 years ago?

Monkei on February 25, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Carter is the man who started the sub-prime mess.

Johan Klaus on February 25, 2009 at 11:25 AM

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Have you ever seen Pawlentry speak?? The guy would have made Jindal’s speech seem like gifted oratory.

Guys, if Palin doesn’t somehow reinvent herself in four years, I’m not seeing much hope out there.

Illinidiva on February 25, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Carter is the man who started the sub-prime mess.

How clever of Carter to plan for something to take place decades after leaving office! I’m sure you weren’t fooled by the fake moon landings either, were you?

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Pawlenty knows how to talk to people as if they’re adults at least. That he’s not great at sound bite politics I’ll agree with though.

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 11:30 AM

I dont think many Palin supporters have taken anything from the dems. I think that they see her as a relief from the robots. She is Real. I dont agree with the love affair or the hate that she gets. I think each person needs to step back and see how/why things work. A person has flaws and made mistakes and are usually open about most which I feel she is. A robot always has someone to blame or an excuse. Everyone instantly draws conclusions on everything its the instant gratification society we live in which is why we are here.

Tremmy on February 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM

OTOH, getting elected governor in Minnesota in 2006 was a testament to Pawlenty’s ability to appeal beyond the GOPs base. I know some here want to pretend that’s not necessary, but they’re only fooling themselves.

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Mark Garnett on February 25, 2009 at 9:54 AM

This may be the first and only time I disagree with you. Because of the happenings of the past week and the passing of the stimulus bill and the run-up to CPAC I believe conservatives and the GOP were expecting more from the rebuttal spokesman than ‘Obama has completed a redemptive journey’ and a blase, milquetoast representation of what the GOP believes and little to show fervent opposition to Obama’s agenda.

You may argue that Jindal was not the right man for the job and I would agree with that but after all he was touted by the MSM as ‘the next one’. Mark, the people expected more from Bobby. He just didn’t deliver. Having said that he might have had an off night. This performance will not finish him in national politics, but he just didn’t have it last night.

technopeasant on February 25, 2009 at 11:36 AM

American Power tracked-back with, “Jindal Torpedoes Presidential Aspirations”:

Donald Douglas on February 25, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I think the Pawlenty comment was snark. Nobody likes the guy. Jindal is likable and interviews well. His speeches haven’t blown me away, and I’ve only seen three. The follow-up is a tough gig — you’re in some box talking to a camera for ten minutes — and this one was analyzed to death. The Democrats have just come out of the political wilderness, and they’re behaving like hungry beasts, devouring babies and house pets. Jindal was warily looked upon as a potential threat and then dismissed last night. That doesn’t mean the night was a fail. It just means Jindal is the boring nerd he’s always been.

chunderroad on February 25, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Gov. Jindal, I like you but please don’t shake your hand out in front of you like that when you are speaking. It’s so awkward, unnatural and goofy looking, just don’t do it.

Maxx on February 25, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Oh God was right.

The gop are out of talent, out of ideas, out of touch and will go the way of the whig party.

getalife on February 25, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Oh I think you mean why did Obama want to ensure that partial birth abortions could be legal for women in case if it would save the life of the mother. Not sure, seems like health of the mother is somewhat important. If she dies, it may be hard to take care of that baby. Will you pro-lifers be calling for increased taxes to pay for more orphanages?

I answered your question, now answer mine.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 9:02 AM

I have never responded to one of your posts because I view you as comic relief, kinda like a monkey tapdancing. But you have honestly peaked my curiousity. I would like for you to answer how partial birth abortion “saves the life of the mother”. Do you even know what the procedure is? A near-term viable baby is delivered in a breached position until the head is almost out of the birth canal. A “physician” then puncture the base of the child’s skull with a large bore needle and sucks out the brain. The baby’s legs kick and its body shakes do to the extreme pain. The dead child is then advanced six more inches into the world and the cord is cut. The child is placed onto a table to die while radom neurons fire causing twitching. So I’m sure you have a great answer as to why it benefits the mother’s health to perform this 2-5 minute procedure with the child’s head still inside of her, instead of immediately delivering the child and intiating life saving measures (meds, CPR, etc) during those 2-5 minutes which would lead to a better patient outcome for her. Partial birth abortion leads to one thing, a (warning-graphic image) -murdered, defenseless child. Please tell all of us how this procedure “saves lives” again. I anxiously await your informed reply.

If she dies, it may be hard to take care of that baby.

Huh? What’s the age limit when we should stop killing children whose parents die young, 2 years old, 3 years old? I mean, c’mon, somebody would have to actually take care of these kids.

You make me laugh most of the time, but occasionally you remind me what sickens me in the Democratic party and freaks like you. You and your Fueher are sad little cowards who will lead to the demise of our great country.

kriscoleman on February 25, 2009 at 11:41 AM

technopeasant, given how Eric Cantor’s demeanor this morning when interviewed was downright conciliatory to Obama, I’m doubtful your fire-and-brimstone advice is being heeded. Polls are clearly showing people want less combativeness and more cooperation, and if Republicans offer nothing in exchange to Obama’s outstreached hand except rhetoric like Limbaugh’s, it’s not going to reflect well on the GOP.

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Sorry, but the guy lost me right at the beginning when he came out and praised King Hussein. I rate JIndal’s speech down there with Dole’s State of the Union response in 2006 from which his presidential campaign never recovered.

Percy_Peabody on February 25, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I liked the speech. The delivery didn’t bother me any. You “conservatives” looking for a Star have been brainwashed by the media drumbeat. I’d rather have some clear thinking leaders with principles. I liked that Jindal didn’t try to respond to the litany of crap Obama and the Dems have been trotting out. He made a more general pledge that the GOP will return to traditional, conservative American principles. That’s what we need.

There’s a long path of rebuilding conservative politics before there can be any real change in governing. His message was a step on that path. If you insist on charisma and presence there’s a woman in Alaska that’s got it in spades. She made such a big splash in her debut the MSM and the RINOs destroyed her right out of the gate. Jindal’s better off just being Bobby Jindal than the Next Big Thing on the conservative scene.

rcl on February 25, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Jindal did fine. Let the whiners whine.

Christien on February 25, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Hey, who knew Eric Cantor was a RINO?

Since Barack Obama took over as president, there are fears that the Republican Party will become the party of “no.” Congressman Eric Cantor of Virginia, is the Republican Whip. After watching Obama deliver his address to Congress, Cantor said he thought the speech was was a great starting off point. He tells Steve Inskeep that Republicans want to work with the White House when they can.

“Yes they can” sort of has a ring to it, no?

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I just have to say I loved Jindal’s rebuttal, I don’t see why it is getting so much criticism. I guess I was focused more on content than delivery, but I thought it was great. Obama’s delivery may be more polished, but all I can hear when he speaks is lies.

mbs on February 25, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I love the sound of circling wagons in the morning. Just ignore all the arrows sticking out of our scout… :-)

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Before I watched the speech, I read a lot of commentaries slagging Jindal. When I finally got to watch it, I thought it was nowhere near as bad as a lot of people said it was.

But on the other hand, I haven’t seen Obama’s speech yet, and I’m sure that when it comes to speech-making, Obama is a tough act to follow (no matter the content).

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 25, 2009 at 11:59 AM

His speech was great, written. It came off boring, as read (good stuff, just hard to get past the delivery). Unfortunately, that does matter in today’s internet/TV/YouTube world. Fortunately, Jindahl’s very good when he’s not reading his speeches.

After Obama, America may be ready for substance over flash anyway.

eucher on February 25, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I’m banking on Olbermann. Bathtub boy got too close to Matthews’ tingling leg and had an ‘O’ moment. ‘Ohh Ohh Ohh’. :P

HornetSting on February 25, 2009 at 12:11 PM

That was just embarassing. He has all the charisma of paint drying. Being put after the eloquent Obama has been his undoing.

dcwvu on February 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM

People, wake up! Jindal is very smart, but if he can’t have great oratory skills, he shouldn’t be the next Republican nominee. Remember, whoever will have to be as good or almost as good as Obama in 2012. We tried to ignore bad oratory skills with McCain and look where that got us.

There is only one person on the Republican side who can compete with Obama and that’s Mike Huckabee. He is a charismatic speaker, very likeable, humorous, and just like Sarah Palin is very authentic. People called him a populist..well Sarah Palin proved that the country is ready for a populist candidate. A candidate that can relate to the poor and the middle class in this country. Mike Huckabee does that because he grew up poor and governed one of the poorest states in the U.S. For the people who believe what the MSM said about him during the primaries of 2008, go to Hucksarmy.com and look under the archives to find the truth about how he governed in Arkansas, and not what Mitt Romney paid surrogates to say in the media to tear him down. When he was Governor of Arkansas, he did not force his religion on those citizens, he just tried to live and govern in a Christian way. He was the candidate that everybody wanted in November, 2007, until he won in Iowa by 9% over Romney. Then, the elites in the Washington establishment decided they didn’t want him, so they did everything the could to criticize him and even ignore him so he would go away. Well, the public likes Mike Huckabee, look at how many states he won on almost no money in his campaign.

On his TV show on Fox News, “Huckabee” he has liberal on his show, lets them speak and then refutes their arguments in a civil, polite way. He has had over 4,000,000 listen to his show, so some of them are liberals too. The comments are that they like him as a person even if they don’t like his ideology. This likeability factor is very important in an election…just look at Obama who isn’t even qualified to be President. Listen to his shows on Saturday & Sunday at 8:00 p.m. EST and you will learn more about who he is as a person. I think you will find that this is the person who relates to you and will represent all the people in the U.S. as President, not just the rich people the Republicans have a reputation for representing.

During the primaries, Mike Huckabee was the only candidate who saw the country coming into a recession. The other Republican candidates said there was no problem. He was the only candidate who said we need to spend money on infrastructure (like the Dems are saying now). He was the only candidate who said we need to care more about people on Main Street rather than Wall Street. This was almost two years ago. People, don’t be fooled by his folksy charm. He is smart and obviously was on top of the issues in the U.S. before any of the other candidates who ran in 2008.

VFT on February 25, 2009 at 12:27 PM

We won’t have a chance if we run Jindal, Romney, Pawlenty or Sanford in 2012. Of the 3, Jindal is probably the most charismatic, which doesn’t say a lot.

And yes, charisma matters. Regardless of how bad the economy is. Look at each presidential election since the beginning of televised coverage. The most charismatic candidate has always won.

Norwegian on February 25, 2009 at 12:27 PM

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 11:41 AM

My dead comrades lament from the better place they are, that it wasn’t the case over the last eight years. While they were facing an armed adversary, liberals kicked and screamed like spoiled school children while we were being shot at. But hey, it’s our 401Ks now, right? The important stuff.

You take your spirit of cooperation and go self-fornicate.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Oh my F-ing GOD!!!

What the hell is wrong with you people? We are talking about how he “looks” or she “looks”??? IDIOTS! All of you…

America is being destroyed from within by a radical leftist, a false lying Messiah and his cult followers and we are talking about real honest Conservatives that need to look older or talk diffrent… instead of talking about the CONSERVATIVE MESSAGE they bring, the hope, the American pride, the personal responsibility, the moral values and the honor of truth…

You all should be ashamed… ANY bump on Jindal is a approval for the idiot Messiah… Is that what you want?

Mark Garnett on February 25, 2009 at 12:37 PM

VFT on February 25, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Please get over CHuckles already. The guy comes off like a televangelist.

Illinidiva on February 25, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I’m sure when Mount Redoubt blows in Alaska that Gov. Palin will shoot it dead to rights from the air. Who needs volcano monitoring when you have the ‘Cuda!

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 12:40 PM

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Don’t address the tough comments huh?

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 12:44 PM

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Everyone is in favor of volcano monitoring; however, I’m not seeing alot of jobs potential in that earmark. Are we giving handouts to the lava or something?

Illinidiva on February 25, 2009 at 12:46 PM

He sounds like a bad Sears salesman.

Otis B on February 25, 2009 at 12:47 PM

He sounds like a bad Sears salesman.

Otis B on February 25, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Obama sounds like a insignificant professor from some small college teaching some elective class. Mainly I think because the material is all rhetorical to him and comes from no life experience.

Rush is on fire right now about the obamas out-right lies and Jindals truthful content.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Well, evidently Jindal isn’t in favor of it! It’s not as if there isn’t a lot at stake in terms of lives and property either, as I recall when Mt. St. Helens blew its top back in 1980. Thankfully monitoring provided time to get residents and loggers out of the area.

Here’s more on the subject:

Bobby Jindal and volcano monitoring: What was he talking about? – Scientific American

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 12:53 PM

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 12:53 PM

You f*cking coward. Where was your party and the spirit of bi-partisanship when the war was being hard fought? Do we only cooperate when your wallet is affected?

liberal hypocrite!

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 12:57 PM

VFT on February 25, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Huckabee. Read it and weep.

Laura on February 25, 2009 at 12:57 PM

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Don’t get me wrong, hawk – I’m all for Jindal’s stance – it’s the image that is going to be critical, unfortunately. This is the first time he’s really been seen by a lot of people on the national stage, and the “sound bite” didn’t come off well.

He’ll have time to work on the image and get a better presentation, I just don’t think he hit it right out of the gate.

Otis B on February 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I’ll post something more substantial later, right now Rush is telling me what to think.

DoctorFeelGood on February 25, 2009 at 12:59 PM

illinidiva,

If Mike Huckabee comes off like a teleevangelist, then why would 4,000,000 people watch his weekly show? Why is his show the top-ranked show on the weekend every week? If Barack Obama fails in his bailout plans, the Dems will be looking for somebody else who relates to them.

A lot of Conservatives, falsely in my opinion, believe Mike Huckabee is not a Conservative. Well, how he governed in Arkansas will be an asset to the Dems who will think Mike Huckabee is more of a moderate (than he really is)and vote for him instead of Obama in 2012 if there isn’t a marked improvement in the economy. Give him a chance…people hae written him off. Even Democrats said during the primaries that Mike Huckabee was the candidate who they feared running against. Why, because he relates to more people than any other candidate, he is a populist and cares about the poor too, not just the rich, and he’s very likeable. We all need to recognize that he and only Mike Huckabee has all the qualities you have been stating in this blog that you are looking for. Go to hucksarmy.com, click on discussions, then go down to Mike Huckabee on issues and read what he really believes and what he really did in Arkansas before you decide you already know this info. There are a lot of people on his websites that are not just Christians, but people who checked into the facts about Mike Huckabee during the primaries, didn’t just listen to the MSM, and found he was the candidate they wanted to support for President.

VFT on February 25, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I know that the left is ALL about style over substance.

But look where that got us.

Is no one gonna call Obama out on his lies?? Is no one gonna praise the SUBSTANCE of Jindal rebuttal??

Is it REALLY only about who can read the teleprompter better?

And it’s not just the loony left- It’s Allah and WORSE- Ace.

ExTex on February 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM

style over substance.

Substance can be very well-packaged, and in order for us to win in 2010 and 2012, it’s going to have to be.

One thing I see with Jindal is his style involves a bit of a “folksy charm.”

I think he would do well to play on that, and use it to his advantage, to sell his substance.

Otis B on February 25, 2009 at 1:05 PM

VFT on February 25, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Lots of people go to mega Churches and watch the 700 Club as well… That doesn’t mean these people want the local evangelical preacher to be President. Both Huckabee and Romney represent two really bad carictures of the Republican party that we really should be avoiding.

Illinidiva on February 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM

OK all of you that were winning about Jindal last night and giving me h*ll because i was taking up for .Rush just said you go to h*ll in so many words.So take that!!!!!!

thmcbb on February 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Otis B on February 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Otis, we can’t say we’re disappointed in Sarah Palin because she was all show and no substance and then be dissapointed in Jindal for the opposite.

I get the impression we’re looking for perfection; Jesus in a business suit. Someone who can walk on water in dress shoes and perform the miracle of getting the MSM to be impressed with them.

It’s not going to happen. No matter who steps forward, the media is going to assassinate them and…and we help here. What chance do we have when a tool like Matthews pronounces judgement on a Conservative speech before it’s even given?

“Oh God”, was uttered as a slap before he even said the first word. Then we pile on? Geez.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Fred!

saint kansas on February 25, 2009 at 1:09 PM

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I view both Palin and Jindal as style issues. Palin let herself get defined as a ditz during the campaign, and Jindal comes off way too young and apparently cannot give a speech. Both have to work on their flaws.

Illinidiva on February 25, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Carter is the man who started the sub-prime mess.

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Are you really that stupid to think that a President’s policies couldn’t have ramifications or could negatively or positively effect the country for years to come? If that’s the case then effect of Bush’s policies ended on January 21st and it’s all Obama now. What the hell is going on in our schools that we get this lack of critical thinking from people???

Ann NY on February 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Ann NY, what’s stupid is ignoring the actual cause of the housing bubble, namely Wall Street’s binge on easy credit when Alan “Irrational Exuberance” Greenspan ignored his own previous advice and lowered the Fed’s interest rates after 2002. No one was forcing banks to make crappy loans in their zeal to collect fees while selling the resulting toxic waste to other suckers.

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Illinidiva on February 25, 2009 at 1:11 PM

And we can’t be more supportive in the meantime? Meh, you guys are all correct. Too much trouble. Let’s just throw in the towell.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 1:20 PM

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Why weren’t you bipartisan for the war effort?

Is money more important than soldiers lives?

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 1:21 PM

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM

You’re right, of course. Speaking for myself, I am placing extreme expectations on the next candidate because I fear the worst if there isn’t a big change in 2010.

What I am trying to do is not look at it through my own eyes, in which substance wins out over style, and think about it from a “how will what we just saw impress the average American?”

I think Bobby Jindal and some other rising figures in the GOP understand the amount of pressure that will be placed on them, and I salute them for having the courage to step up to the plate.

That said, my initial reaction was simply a reflection of what I think the average American will think – I think we’ve been reduced to these types of sound bites.

Frankly, I think we might be due for a “house-cleaning” in that regard, as things come crashing down and people re-learn that things like character and honesty are major issues in determining leadership qualities. The problem is people are probably going to have to suffer some before we get to this point.

How’s that for a dilemma?

Otis B on February 25, 2009 at 1:22 PM

After Mike Huckabee dropped out of the primary, he still received anywhere from 9-14% of the vote in the states left to vote. He had higher Republican voters voting for him than John McCain is some of those states. These people were not all Christians. I don’t think a lot of Conservatives realize how popular Mike Huckabee really is to the voters in this country. Everywhere he goes, he gets standing ovations when he speaks. If he had been a wealthy candidate with lots of money to spend on his campaign, I guarantee you that he would have been the Republican nominee. When the voters realize that he won’t try to change their religious choices, they will look at him with a different perspective.

Did you know that during the general election, when John McCain went to Washington, D.C. (bad mistake) to talk to the Republicans about the $700 Billion Dollar stimulus Pres. Bush put out, that Mitt Romney was on McCain’s economic advisory council and recommended that McCain vote FOR the bailout bill? He didn’t publicly put that information out there, but it was on the internet. This is the same man who is against the Stimulus from Obama and paying $1000 each to all the House Republicans for voting against the Stimulus. I have heard many Republicans,even on this site, who said any Republican candidate who voted for the original bailout, they would not ever vote for him. Well, Mitt Romeny did support it!!! Newt Gingrich was originally against the $700 B bailout, then changted his mind and supported it. Mike Huckabee has always been against the original bailout and every stimulus since.

If all the Republicans supported Mike Huckabee instead of trying to tear him down, he would have unbelievable support in 2012 because he would also get the moderates and some Democrats to vote for him in the general election, and give Obama the best chance of being defeated.

I really like Sarah Palin, but I’m not sure she can overcome the negative opinions of a lot of Americans who, unfortunately, believed a lot of the negative press statements. Maybe, by 2016, a lot of that information would be forgotten and she would have much more experience, I don’t know, but probably not by 2012.

VFT on February 25, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Fred? Fred is the OLD Rip Van Winkle.

Mike Huckabee for all his faults at least knows he wasn’t born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and it sure wouldn’t hurt Republicans to be reminded that most Americans aren’t.

You have to first get to know Mitt Romney to really dislike him. Not that you need to bother of course.

Tim Pawlenty may not be the slickest of the bunch, but he’s a real hockey dad at least. (Really, he’s pretty good on skates.)

Bobby Jindal just showed he’s not ready for prime time in the worst way.

And Sarah Palin? Let’s just say we don’t need to be giving Tina Fey any more work, o.k.?

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Otis B on February 25, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Just read the starfleetduds comment. Our indictments of our own possible candidates allows tools from the left like him to drive our own forums and allows our opinions to be formed by ass-clowns who are already pulling the lever for obama in 4 years no matter what.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Guess I don’t see that he was that bad.
Not great-but I am never impressed by slick speakers.
Slick speakers usually give me pause for reason to be wary.
Not always.
Jindal sounds staged-but Obama is NO BETTER. I have NEVER heard Obama say anything that sounded better than Jindal here.
I like the SUBSTANCE of what Jindal says.
And that is something we have lost in speaking. SUBSTANCE and ACTION is what matters.
Guess I’m too practical for my own good.
This is probably why many don’t like Palin.
She doesn’t sugar coat it & people get so ‘offended’ by brutal honesty.
We need some brutal honesty.
Grow some skin & ba!!$ people & share the brutal honesty.

Badger40 on February 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Otis B, the 2008 GOP Presidential Primary wasn’t so much a race as it was a process to see which candidate would shoot themselves in the foot last. McCain was merely the least worst of the bunch. So far at least the 2012 crop is looking even less promising! Recognizing that fact is necessary if anything useful is ever going to be done about it.

It wouldn’t hurt in the meantime for Republicans to back sloooowly away from Limbaugh’s big mouth.

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM

When Tim Pawlenty was being considered for VP, there was a lot of press about him. He is not a charismatic person, nice, but not someone who could go against Obama.

A lot of people in the Republican Party put a high price on a Ivy League school degrees in their candidates resume. Remember, Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee, don’t have an Ivy League resume, but they relate to the people. They know how to talk to them about the issues they care about. Maybe the reason the people in the U.S. don’t want Republicans as their President now is because we have a stigma as only caring about the rich. Supporting Mike Huckabee because he can debate, handle the press and relate to the people would show all of America that Republicans don’t just care about the rich. We need to change our image and that’s why our candiate choice is very important next time. We have to get the trust back of the American people. Most people, unfortunately, go check to see what the candidates say is true or not. They believe people based on their likeability, how they speak and the values they have (hopefully). After Obama kills thousands of more babies during his 4 year term with pro-abortion activities and laws and helps all the states to change their laws to recognize gay marriage (which most of the country doesn’t want according to the results from Prop 8 and other state initiatives on the ballots) then they might be ready for a authentic, nice, honest, trustworthy, moral and good Republican like Mike Huckabee for 2012.

VFT on February 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Tennessee may reject stimulus aid for jobless

Hey libtards, let’s jump on this guy about wanting volcanos to kill good Americans, huh?

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 1:44 PM

The more I heard of what he had to say & know what he’s DONE made me like him better every time-AND he is a well polished speaker. Good combo to me. Obviously not you.

Bobby Jindal just showed he’s not ready for prime time in the worst way.

Politics is not about prime time. Who flipping cares if Jindal can ACT?!

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Sarah has ba!!$ to tell it like it is. She’s not polished & her experience is more than Obama’s, but somehow she is said to have less of it. Curious.

Politics should be about being HONEST & DOING what you SAY you are going to do. Take real ACTION that MATTERS & helps, no hurts.
But I know I’m talking to a deaf biased ear here.

Badger40 on February 25, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I listened to it. It was defintely Chris Mathews!

TrickyDick on February 25, 2009 at 1:44 PM

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Better yet, let’s all just join the democratic party.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I am sick and tired of people reacting because they are looking through the lens of Republican Presidential Primaries of 2012 instead of here and now. Jindal did a fine job. Could he improve his style? Since when do we care about style over substance?

Stop tearing down Jindal because you are thinking removing him from the equation makes it easier for your preferred candidate to run in 2012. Its called synergy, look it up.

Conservative Voice on February 25, 2009 at 1:46 PM

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 1:33 PM

What I haven’t seen is how Jindal performs in a debate, nor do I really know all that much about him yet. His image will become more clear as the national stage opens up for him – his character will develop and shine through as he sticks to his guns. You’re probably right in that we should be patient with this sort of thing and weather the storm until things settle out.

I’m not even sure if the starfleet dude grasps the substance of Jindal’s comments, or why Jindal is talking about refusing the stimulus money. I’m not sure it matters much to the starfleet dude, other than to place the blame somewhere and demand that the government do something about it, which just comes off as silly to me.

The good thing about Jindal is he has stepped up in an opposition role, and outlines his thoughts carefully and succinctly.

Over the next few years, as the recession deepens and lasts, these types of viewpoints will be listened to more and more, as fiscal errors are made. It is very early into this Presidency (not even 100 days yet) and already the honeymoon appears to be waning.

People like Jindal will be around for the long haul, and I think the image issues will have a tendency to resolve themselves as things “progress,” and the “salvation plans” don’t quite work out the way the mob thought they would.

Otis B on February 25, 2009 at 1:48 PM

a process to see which candidate would shoot themselves in the foot last. So far at least the 2012 crop is looking even less promising!

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I don’t see this as an accurate depiction of the Republican race – it occurred to me in about January of last year that the Republican Party had appeared to have lost its footing and forgotten its Conservative roots, but I think it’s coming back with a vengeance now.

You see, Jindal fits this bill – his principles are on solid ground. I never got that sense during the debates – it was almost as if McCain was the nominee because he lost a bet or something.

Otis B on February 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Neither have I. I’m not sold on anyone yet. He’s a contender though. I’d give him a chance.

That’s all I’m saying for any good Republican candidate. Or we can be swayed by people that come here and post like SFDud who are already decided on obama for 12.

He did, he just a proponent for the other side.

He is either a liberal dem moby or a Republican who’s adivice would beguile us to adopt so much of the left that we might as well be them.

And Palin, give her an honest chance too.

I agree, it’s going to get harder for the media to carry the water for these idiots. If they do, it’ll be rank propaganda.

Otis B on February 25, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I agree. Just let’s not beat our guys up over style. I’m in for any good Republican who wants to lead us; except Ron Paul. I’ll fight tooth and nail for any of the rest of the pack to give them a chance to lead.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 1:58 PM

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 1:33 PM

There are four things the GOP absolutely needs to do, in order to be competitive in the next presidential elections:

1. Control their own primary process, by instituting closed primaries everywhere.

2. Control election fraud, by getting early and vigorous investigations of voter-fraud groups like ACORN going. It won’t be easy, for obvious reasons, but it’s crucial to find some honest people in law enforcement and make it tough for them to stuff the ballot boxes.

3. Create a simple, coherent set of policy proposals, package them with the kind of emotional rhetoric necessary to reach the electorate, and find a charismatic candidate who can deliver them. Conservatives have to avoid the trap of campaigning as if their audience is a group of scholars from the Heritage Foundation and the Cato Institute. They will be running against a message that says, “I will give you free stuff, paid for by money conjured from thin air, and the other side will try to take your free goodies away. Plus, they’re racists.” The Republicans must not overestimate the electorate.

4. Clean out the corruption within the GOP. They will be running against the most corrupt incarnation of a political party seen in American politics since Teapot Dome. They need to be squeaky-clean to use this to their advantage.

As for Jindal, Palin, or any of the other current contenders-in-waiting: every politician is running against his own shadow. Every one has a collection of personal quirks, professional blunders, and negative associations they must overcome. Jindal didn’t help himself last night, but his challenge going forward is to defeat the stereotype of a wooden, unprepared candidate, just as Obama overcame his associations with all the unsavory characters in his past, and his wafer-thin resume, or Palin would have to rise above the Tina Fey caricature. The difference is that Jindal and Palin won’t have the assistance of a fawning, obsequious media. As long as they remember that, and remind themselves before every interview that they will be sitting across the table from not reporters, but Obama functionaries, they can do fine.

Doctor Zero on February 25, 2009 at 2:01 PM