Video: Jindal’s “awful” rebuttal

posted at 11:08 pm on February 24, 2009 by Allahpundit

“Awful” is Ace’s word but I’m in no mood to disagree. And neither are most HA commenters, judging from this mammoth thread. This was his star turn and he came off wooden, especially at the beginning. Oh well. His loss is the rest of the GOP governors’ gain.

RCP has the clip of an unknown MSNBC staffer groaning “Oh God” as Jindal walks out. Some say it’s Olbermann, but I’m skeptical. Consensus?

Update: Patterico’s sure the “Oh God” comes from Olbermann, Goldfarb’s sure it comes from Matthews. Does it matter?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

A

nd for the record, neither Palin or Jindal are Reagan-esque.

If somehow the GOP can re-cast Romney from the suit/tie/stiffness crap (make him more personable, work on his image), he’ll stomp Obama in 2012 when the economy is experiencing Carter II: Stagflation Boogaloo …

That is assuming the GOP can get Romney to run again.

IrishSamurai on February 25, 2009 at 1:51 AM

I disagree: I think both Palin and Jindal are Reaganesque in their own way.

I like Romney and he’s very telegenic, but he’s a weak Conservative and has flip-flopped on major issues, such that much of the base will not be comfortable with him as our main candidate.
Palin and Jindal, along with Sanford,Rick Perry of TX and even Pawlenty are going to carry our standard very well for the next few months.

Jenfidel on February 25, 2009 at 1:56 AM

The problem with our side is that we’re good at writing speeches but poor on delivery. I’ve watched Jindal many times, & he is better “off-the-cuff” than he is with a prompter. Whoever made him “stick-to-the-script” needs to be fired.

youngTXcon on February 25, 2009 at 1:54 AM

Amen to my fellow Texan!
As I stated above, I’ve heard Bobby J. before in interviews on the radio and TV and he is usually fabulous!

Jenfidel on February 25, 2009 at 1:57 AM

This was really not about Jindal, or his further aspirations, but about US, and America, and someone expressing our response to the idiot messiah’s insane speech. Jindal’s fortunes are one thing, but we needed someone to clearly express our thoughts and feelings about the raping and pillaging of America that the Precedent had just detailed. This is the important point.

progressoverpeace on February 25, 2009 at 1:38 AM

Absolutely correct!

Bobby Jindal is a good man, but he is not presidential material. We need someone who can speak with a clear, strong, confident voice. One who can be comfortable in front of a camera, or an audience. One who can stand toe to toe with the Katie Couric’s, Brian Williams, and Charles Gibson’s of the world. He needs to know his stuff, too many of these guys come into these things without doing their homework, and it shows. One guy who is notorious for this is Sean Hannity. He gets floored every time he comes up against a liberal who knows his talking points.

Who is the man who can be that kind of candidate in 2012? He hasn’t been discovered yet. The Sarah Palin’s and Bobby Jindal’s are very good local politicians and we need them desperately to maintain their influence in those areas. But, the man who will dethrone the “One” is going to have to match his speaking ability, poise, and presence.

That man has yet to materialize.

Joe Pyne on February 25, 2009 at 2:01 AM

It was Chris Matthews. Not just the sound of the voice but he says it fairly often with that exact tone.

econavenger on February 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Yep, Matthews.

Does it matter?

Not much. If Matthews isn’t running Specter, somebody should start a rumor about Olby challenging Gillibrand in the primary for Hillary’s old seat.

Jobius on February 25, 2009 at 2:04 AM

That man has yet to materialize.

Joe Pyne on February 25, 2009 at 2:01 AM

There are only so many conservatives out there that are recognized as such, and I can’t find them.

If they’re not there now, then they are still in high school or perhaps collage at this point.

We win in 2025 or later?

I’ll be in my late 70’s at that point and too politically “battle blasted” at that point to fight on for myself.

But, I’ll do it anyhow for my sons just the same!

Not Over.

1GooDDaDDy on February 25, 2009 at 2:16 AM

It might have been better for Governor Jindal to have pitched his reply to other intellectuals, rather than to the Americans at large. Had he done so, he could have spoken in his own, usual manner, making no attempt to make his thinking accessible to the duller three quarters of the Americans. It’s not necessary that he lower himself to the level of the middling sort of men, let alone the level of the stupid. He has people to do that for him. At election time, it’s urgent to recruit even the dullest voters; at almost all times, however, it’s important to recruit the intellectuals, who will recruit the rest.

Kralizec on February 25, 2009 at 2:18 AM

Came off wooden, huh? Like a wooden Indian?

Way to do the nutroots’ work for them AP.

Mark V. on February 25, 2009 at 2:20 AM

“Awful”

No way!!! Jindal was fantastic!!!! He was simple,optimistic
and full of energy. Just like Reagan. Wow, Palin and Jindal on a ticket would be a dream come true!!

And to top it all off it would be more than just personality.

It would be their core beliefs that make them stand out.

They are what America needs.

dec5 on February 25, 2009 at 2:30 AM

I don’t mind criticizing Jindal, especially when he has the audacity to pat himself on the back for his Potemkin ethics “reform” but I have to give him props for this – his press secretary just slapped Chuckie Schumer right in the face:

“It’s pure political grandstanding,” said Jindal’s press secretary Kyle Plotkin. “We know Senator Schumer is a fan of a powerful federal government, but even in his wildest dreams, he knows the federal government can’t force a state to raise taxes.”

That felt pretty good. Governor, give that guy a raise!!

Laura on February 25, 2009 at 2:31 AM

We win in 2025 or later?

But, I’ll do it anyhow for my sons just the same!

Not Over.

1GooDDaDDy on February 25, 2009 at 2:16 AM

I hear ya, bro!

But, that is the fact of the matter as far as things stand now. There is enough time for that “one” to materialize in the next four years.

Believe me, we will all know it when he does show up.

Joe Pyne on February 25, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Well at least we know why jindal is not running in 2012. Palin all the way baby.

unseen on February 25, 2009 at 2:37 AM

I honestly don’t see what was bad about it. I think people are severely overreacting..Still love the guy, and hope to God he runs in 2012.

therightwinger on February 25, 2009 at 2:58 AM

Wait a second, winning in 2025 is pessimism in full blown finery. The only way Republicans are out of power that long is if Obama’s plans are successful. I think we are a long way off from that scenario. Does anyone seriously think that the lingering effects of the speech tonight are going to carry over when the bus driver lady with the $800,000 house gets a bail out? You can only smooth talk your way over outrage so many times. It only took 35 days for people to begin to have buyers remorse. After 4 years of Obama big government either his plans work or they fail epicly. If they fail epicly we could run nearly anyone and win.

msmveritas on February 25, 2009 at 3:08 AM

You people are clueless. I live in Louisiana and this is always the way Jindal is. He’s not ridiculously charismatic, but he’s ridiculously intelligent, which is why we voted for him.

TTheoLogan on February 25, 2009 at 3:14 AM

I guess this is the…………

……….”Quote of the Day”

Seven Percent Solution on February 25, 2009 at 3:15 AM

I bet Jindal won’t be giving republican responses anymore. At least it wasn’t McCain, Gramnesty, or Palin. Should have had Micheal Steele or Newt Rebut.

nazo311 on February 25, 2009 at 4:12 AM

AP has shown again he is clueless.

TTheoLogan on February 25, 2009 at 4:23 AM

Yeah, probably. But if only we can get her to hit it out of the ballpark in network interviews!

I guess Palin and Jindal are young so they time to improve (or not).

/frustration

terryannonline on February 24, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Palin and Jindal should be merged into one candidate… And Palin was much better in the cooking with Sarah segments after the election, but I think that the damage from the Couric interview and Tina Fey might have screwed her… Darn it McCain campaign!

Illinidiva on February 25, 2009 at 4:57 AM

The best Creationism has to offer.

ronsfi on February 25, 2009 at 5:02 AM

He came off wooden. Who cares? Let’s see, allahpundit hates:
Palin
Jindal
HotAir readers

Blake on February 25, 2009 at 5:07 AM

‘Kays… This is why we like Sarah more. Girlfriend can speak.

Illinidiva on February 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM

I agree. Needed more winking and hockey mom jokes.

thecountofincognito on February 25, 2009 at 12:15 AM

I’m assuming sarcasm?? Sarah’s convention speech was better than Bobby’s cross between infomercial and reading to kindergarten class style.

Illinidiva on February 25, 2009 at 5:11 AM

The content of Jindal’s speech was good. His delivery of said speech was disappointing. However, I blame the setting in part. He was speaking to an empty room!! Audience reaction helps a speaker enormously – measuring the success of the speakers words and presentation. It’s hard to warm up with enthusiasm to the sounds of silence. Whoever was responsible for the airing of Jindal’s speech should go back to tech school as well – there were several spots of broken sound as well as a spot or two of “echoing” He would have fared far better speaking in front of a group.

After all, when BHO spoke there were several hundred people who went orgasmic numerous times. He could have read a nursery rhyme off of the teleprompter and gotten the same reaction from all the obama drones and sycophants. I thought Nancy Lugosi (my apologies to Bela, but his monster characterizations so fit her) was going to swoon a couple of times.

As for who said “Oh God” as Jindal was walking in, it doesn’t matter to me. It was just another example of the classless, inconsiderate MSM.

ladyhawke53 on February 25, 2009 at 5:35 AM

It’s “Thrill” Mathews saying “Oh god”. If you ever notice during his show “Hardballed by Obama”, he’ll be talking in hushed tones just like that “Oh god” spasm here, perhaps to his producer but clearly audible at times, when his guests are answering questions. He does it quite often, and it sounds like he’s doing it here as well. I’ll try and find a link to show an example.

Here ya go, listen at 1:58 until 2:10 into this video of “Thrill”, you’ll hear Mathews mumbling to is producer, he does it all the time.

BobUSMC on February 25, 2009 at 5:39 AM

Zo for rebuttal.

Hell, dress him up to look like Jindal, I don’t care.

Reaps on February 25, 2009 at 6:09 AM

I think people are making too big a deal out of this. How many people even bothered to watch either of them?

Terrye on February 25, 2009 at 6:14 AM

..Or Fred.

!

Reaps on February 25, 2009 at 6:16 AM

therightwinger

Stick to your guns. Don’t worry about what AP says. He just likes to throw some dirt on Republicans to generate traffic. See, it works.

SKYFOX on February 25, 2009 at 6:23 AM

Well hey, Jindal does have his own fanclub.

Rockin’.

Reaps on February 25, 2009 at 6:33 AM

APs hot topics just increased by one for Lent. Now we have :
Sarah; abortion; Darwinism; Anti-Catholicism; Jindal. Wow – that’s a mighty broad list for such a narrow mind.

Fuquay Steve on February 25, 2009 at 6:35 AM

I read the transcript and thought it was pretty good. I suppose that’s the problem with literacy…

AbaddonsReign on February 25, 2009 at 6:39 AM

I am not sure what the answer is for the GOP in 2012. One thing that I am concerned about is that foreign policy, military and national secuity knowledge and experience may be real important then and no one seems to be thinking about it. By 2012, stagflation may be the very unpleasant result of Obama’s “economics,” but what can happen by then in terms of foreign policy. military and national security crisis as a result of Obama’s idiocy and inexperience on those subjects is truly awful.

Phil Byler on February 25, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Lets see, the GOP does have someone who gives a dynamite speech, what was her name ?????? someone up in Alaska, you know….Oh never mind, lets go with another cardboard delivery.

james23 on February 25, 2009 at 7:00 AM

Definately Matthews…and was everybody’s audio messed up or just mine?

winston on February 25, 2009 at 7:04 AM

I’m just a hack commenter, so what do I know? But I hate Obama’s policies, and I think he’s a phony speaker, despite what swooner say. Here are two paragraphs from Michelle Malkins post from last night.

I’ll take Bobby Jindal’s genuine faith in American entrepreneurship over Barack Obama’s fear-mongering-turned-faux Reaganism any day.

His actions and his actual record — reforming his state’s decrepit health care system, fixing higher ed, serving in Congress, tackling entitlement reform, managing natural emergencies, etc. — remain mightily impressive.

Cosmetics are great. But when the going is tough, what are you looking for? I’m interested in substance and accomplishment over style. If I can have style too, great.

BuckeyeSam on February 25, 2009 at 7:04 AM

I have a dream that in my future, republican speakers will one day live in a nation where their speeches will not be judged by how colorful the oration but, by the content of their character.

oldernwiser on February 25, 2009 at 7:06 AM

Reaps on February 25, 2009 at 6:33 AM

APPEARS someone must fear him

Jamson64 on February 25, 2009 at 7:06 AM

I sincerely look forward to the day that PMSNBC is officially knocked off the air once and for all.

Thanks to moronic commentators like Matthews and Olbermann, the network is now nothing more than a mouthpiece for the liberal left. If anything, they are now the ultimate argument AGAINST The Fairness Doctrine, as liberals now indeed have a news outlet that is serving and meeting their every whim. Never mind the fact that when it comes to ratings, the network stinks on ice.

Maybe they should just change the name of the network to SOROSVISION.

pilamaye on February 25, 2009 at 7:08 AM

I don’t know what happened to Bobby tonight, but conservatives did not need a “Doogie Howser” giving the response.

Conservatives exploded into hyper love when Palin spoke at the convention, and judging by this reaction and hearing that that conservatives amongst us have nicknamed the Gov LA, “Doogie Howser”, does not bode well.

We needed a “lipstick” moment or a “palling around with terrorists” moment. Something that causes a positive explosive reaction among conservatives.

What we expect out of Jindal? When some of us around here kept telling people that Jindal was duller than dirt, you had a snit fit.

What was needed last night was simple message, “When you are broke and without a job, most Americans don’t go out and borrow a trillion dollars to buy another house. Especially when you just bought a $700 billion house a few months ago, that you cannot pay for.”

Most Americans understand this message. Most Americans probably turned off their TV’s last night within moments of Jindal starting to speak. They would not have turned off their TVs if Palin was on.

kcarpenter on February 25, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Ouch. I was hoping I had dreamt how bad it was…but I have to say other than a few, (Drywall) you all are very kind- A lot of acceptance and goodwill towards Mr. Jindal. He’s a sharp guy, he’ll “get” (gag me you asswipe, Obama) that he needs to get speaking lessons. The one thing he may not be ablw to fix is his youth! He comes across as even younger than 37- he may be VP material in 2012.

anniekc on February 25, 2009 at 7:11 AM

Liberals are still on the offensive. They have identified Republicans just within the last couple of days to attack over nothing while Obamas party and Obamas picks have been embroiled in scandal. Why do we help them? Why do we do their dirty work for them?

I listened to the speech.

Jindal did fine.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 7:13 AM

james23 on February 25, 2009 at 7:00 AM

Overexposure?

BuckeyeSam on February 25, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Jindal….not ready for prime time. Caribou Barbie….not ready for prime time. Hope you guys like being in the wilderness, cuz thats where your going to be for a long time with your stable of zeroes you call your leaders. I love me some karma.

athensboy on February 25, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Next time, have him button his coat if he is going to stand up to give a speech. Very poor handling. I hope this is not Michael Steele. The hip hop crap isn’t working.

flyoverland on February 25, 2009 at 7:17 AM

The reason we have Obama is that most people seem to be enamored with form over substance. We couldn’t have a better contrast that with Obama and Jindal. Obama is great at form, but terrible at substance. Jindal is the opposite only in this case. I’ve heard him speak many times and this was similar to what the form people did to Palin. Rather than let them be themselves, they make them into something that they’re not.

I suggest that conservatives listen to his message and not focus on the delivery. Maybe he can’t deliver as well as Reagan, but his ideology is very similar.

orlandocajun on February 25, 2009 at 7:17 AM

SECOND LOOK AT MITT ROMNEY!

Buy Danish on February 25, 2009 at 7:19 AM

athensboy on February 25, 2009 at 7:15 AM

As if you have leaders?

No you dolt schlep, you people have LIARS. Smooth and slick LIARS. Joe Doofus Biden is your VP, and you tell me about leaders.

Nancy Pelosi, the woman who thinks STD prevention can stimulate the economy is one of YOUR LEADER.

Obama, a total n00b who is just winging it as he goes along, is your leader.

Dodd, Frank, Waters; the very people who told us “Oh, don’t worry about subprime lending!” are your leaders.

“Zeroes you call your leaders.”

Just because your zeroes got elected, doesn’t mean you have “ones.”

blatantblue on February 25, 2009 at 7:19 AM

prevention can stimulate the economy is one of YOUR LEADER*S*

FIFMe

blatantblue on February 25, 2009 at 7:21 AM

athensboy on February 25, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Karma? Is that what you call hard working people having their money taken away and given to incompetents like you?

American, land of the lazy and home of the freeloaders.

E pluribus gimme.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 7:22 AM

Other than the school teacher tone, I think he did quite well. I liked his message and I liked that he made it clear he believes in the resiliency of the American people. I think it’s too early to decide if he’s presential material based on one speech. I think he can very easily polish up his teleprompter delivery and be well on his way. Shouldn’t we look to his accomplishments to decide if he’s presidential material? Those alone scream, yes he is. There is time to prep his speech giving skills.

Go Jindal! I’m rootin’ for ya!

JRWARHAWK on February 25, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Obama is big on saying “let me be clear,” so let me be clear. Obama talked about taxing those with taxable income over $250,000. The overwhelming number of jobs created come from people who run small businesses. These days, small businesses are almost exclusively run in the form of one of two flow-through entities: S corporations and limited liability companies (LLCs). Invariably, the owners of these businesses take a salary or draw from these businesses, so they are able to get some cash out of the business to pay for personal living expenses. But much of the profit, on which they’re taxed each year, needs to be retained within the business to pay for business growth, contingencies, and capital requirements.

In short, Obama’s tax increase is going to kill these people because their $250,000 of taxable income is not cash in hand like, say, the business executive who’s making cash and bonuses of $250,000 or more.

Just sayin’.

BuckeyeSam on February 25, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Oh for crying out loud, what did you expect? If he dinged the Democrats too much he’d come off as whiney. Don’t forget we wouldn’t be here if Republicans hadn’t acted like Democrats for 8 years! He had a fine line to tread, and I like that he showed how an immigrant can come to this country and LOVE it, not find fault with it. That is the beginning of the message he brings. This country isn’t perfect, but it is WONDERFUL and the Democrats are trying to make it worse, not better! Alot of American people aren’t too bright (look who we just voted for, and how else do you explain Pelosi and Reid?) They have to be spoken to like children sometimes.

ctmom on February 25, 2009 at 7:28 AM

He should have stuck his hottie wife up in front of the camera and no one would have cared what he said. No worse than getting elected for “glistening pecs”.

Alden Pyle on February 25, 2009 at 7:29 AM

JRWARHAWK on February 25, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Don’t you understand? It’s all delivery, and no substance. LOL

People are too dumb to care. We call them Obama voters.

You can make people think you said a lot while saying nothing.

This is where Walter Bagehot, famous British author on English politics, comes in.

He wrote about two parts of government: the Dignified and Efficient parts.

The dignified just makes people emote and give support. The efficient parts act on that support in the daily goings on in government. People only care about the dignified parts though, which is why you can be someone like Obama and win the presidency. All dignified emotion. No efficient substance behind him. The people just emoted and went nuts; still are.

Doesn’t matter what Obama or Jindal said. If Obama can seem soaring, then it is the best EVAH!

So Jindal can come up and say the best things ever, and still lose. Personally I feel his delivery was a little dry. He seemed tense, but whatever, in a few years, who’s going to remember last night much? Doubtful many will, especially if he improves vastly on his comfort level.

blatantblue on February 25, 2009 at 7:31 AM

The best Creationism has to offer.

ronsfi on February 25, 2009 at 5:02 AM

Finally someone mentions the elephant in the room. His ties to the Discovery Institute and the article he wrote about preforming an exorcism will make him completely unappealing to a majority of Americans, myself included. If the GOP puts this guy up then we will have four more of Obama.

Ann NY on February 25, 2009 at 7:33 AM

The content of Jindal’s speech was good. His delivery of said speech was disappointing. However, I blame the setting in part. He was speaking to an empty room!! *** Whoever was responsible for the airing of Jindal’s speech should go back to tech school as well – there were several spots of broken sound as well as a spot or two of “echoing” ***
ladyhawke53 on February 25, 2009 at 5:35 AM

I think you have made a really good point. But, traditionally, I thought “responses” to presidential speeches were given in empty rooms. The sound problems were very distracting, I agree.

But there were definite content problems with the speech:
1. You don’t start your speech by rambling for 2 minutes about how nice it is that a black man is President, and then jump up and down about how you’re a minority too. We have had over a year to contemplate the significance of electing a black person as President. Bringing it up now just looked stilted and pandering in nature.
2. Jindal made no effort to explain WHY the tax cuts are a good idea. Polls show that Americans view Republican “tax cut” ideas poorly, and I think a large part of the reason is that nobody ever explains the concept. You can’t come out like a bird from a coucou clock and chirp “tax cuts” 8 times and beat Obama’s plan.
3. The health care parts of his speech were poor too. Does the GOP not understand that commie health care spells the literal END of the party and of conservatism forever? As Rahmn Emanuel says, never let a good crisis go to waste. We must start the drumbeat now in a decisive way to beat back socialist health care or we are DOOMED as a country AND a party.

Outlander on February 25, 2009 at 7:34 AM

I love me some karma.

athensboy on February 25, 2009 at 7:15 AM

So, do I. In 4 -8 years, the GOP will be in the Whitehouse. That’s how it works in this country. Hopefully, it will be in 4 years because you donks are killing this country.

p.s.: I thought you were banned?

Blake on February 25, 2009 at 7:40 AM

Message to Jindal and all other Republicans:
“STOP REMINDING PEOPLE YOU WERE THROWN OUT OF OFFICE BECAUSE YOU LOST YOUR WAY, SPENT TOO MUCH, LET THE VOTERS DOWN!!”
Just stop it! Don’t say it anymore. The public has short memories and you have plenty of good things to say,, so STOP REMINDING PEOPLE HOW THE REPUBLICAN PARTY WAS A BIG LOSER PARTY!!
What do you expect people to say?? “Oh yeah,, I forgot you guys were a bunch of losers! Thanks for reminding me!!”

JellyToast on February 25, 2009 at 7:43 AM

BuckeyeSam on February 25, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Obama is all about class warfare. After weeks of doom and gloom he is suddenly optimistic and back to the us and them tactics that worked during the election. He is back to making the evil rich taxpayer (anyone over $250,000 today, who knows what it will be down to in a year) the bad guy. That line is going to be his George H.W. Bush “No new taxes” blunder. There is no way he can cut the deficit in half, even if he taxed the evil rich guy at 100%. He is going to have to tax those making less than $250K.

ctmom on February 25, 2009 at 7:45 AM

I wasn’t able to catch either speech as I had to work late last night, but I read Jindal’s speech on Gateway. On paper, the speech looks good–hits most of the right notes. However, from what I gather here and in other places, Jindal’s delivery was weak. Unfortunately, in these days of American Idol and short-attention spans, delivery is important. Fortunately, he has time to work on that. Also, as others have pointed out, he did have to strike the right tone–to much one way, he comes across as whiny–too much the other way, it becomes a “me-too” speech. Added to that, from what I gather, he made his speech on a soundstage with no real opportunity for feedback. Difficult to deliver any sort of rousing speech in that sort of environment.

Still, as I’ve said, he has time–as does Palin, Sanford, and whoever else might be lurking in the wilderness waiting their moment to step out on stage. And, while Bambi will most likely see a surge in popularity following his rhetoric–like it or not, get ready to see his numbers shoot back up temporarily into the high sixties or so–it won’t take long until people will see that all he’s saying is “words…just words.”

Matt Helm on February 25, 2009 at 7:50 AM

TTheoLogan on February 25, 2009 at 3:14 AM

THE LOSERS here at HA are stuck on style(they have been obamatroned) over substance, SUBSTANCE! JINDAL HAS MORE IN HIS PINKY THAN OBAMA IN HIS WHOLE FAGGY BODY!

Mercy4Me on February 25, 2009 at 7:55 AM

I’m not exactly sure what Bobby Jindal has to say about Federal subsidies to the state, one of the main reasons the state’s budget and economy has not experienced the problems of other states is that it is still receiving millions of dollars in funds for post-Katrina reconstruction that is a boon to the state economy. I know people, right now, who are working on rebuilding New Orleans and they are spending money in the local economy and there’s no way they’d be doing that without federal grants. And isn’t Louisiana taking the majority of the money from the federal government?

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM

I watched Jindal last night. I didn’t think he was awful at all. His message was clear. I couldn’t care less if he’s an eloquent, beautiful speaker, and I’d be willing to bet that after 4 yrs of the 0ne, there will be more people who care less about that as well.

4shoes on February 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM

The MSNBC crowd has no problem disrespecting the Republican party in any way they can. Disgusting is too nice a word to describe Olbermann and his crew.

Sign the petition to FIRE HIS ASS!!!

afotia on February 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Mercy4Me on February 25, 2009 at 7:55 AM

I don’t know where you’re from, but HA readers have not been “Obamatroned.”

Of course we want substance, but you need a solid delivery too. This is the nature of oration, and has been for thousands of years.

blatantblue on February 25, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Thanks for lowering my expectations to the point where I enjoyed actually watching his rebuttal…

golfer1 on February 25, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Did Fat Tuesday have anything to do with it?

Mr. Joe on February 25, 2009 at 8:00 AM

I’m getting a bit tired of conservatives and AP validating the idea that an empty suit isn’t a problem as long as that vacuous entity can read a speech well.

That said, how many people know Jindal well enough to realize the beginning of the speech isnt his natural demeanor? Are we really expecting that anyone can impress the Obamamedia enough so that an honest apprasial can crack through? Overall I think he did well for his first national speech, but I’m not of the American Idol type mindset when it comes to selecting leaders and I don’t care to validate that idiocy either.

aikidoka on February 25, 2009 at 8:00 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Soooo, the entire rest of the country was hit by a hurricane and declared a national emergency area (and national tragedy), when? I missed that one somewhere.

Damn Hack, you quite possibly the only person on HA who’s capable of making a more stupid point than me.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Does it matter?

Nope. Both unprofessional POS’s cut from the same cloth.

4shoes on February 25, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Course not, but Jindal’s pretense that his state’s success comes without Federal subsidies is disingenuous. Indeed, his state’s success is a credit to the potential effectiveness of Federal subsidies to employ people and to get those employees to spend money in local economies. And while there has not been a national emergency declared in other states, the deflationary pressure of unemployment is potentially disastrous for the economy. Why did federal funds work in New Orleans, but are “wasteful” elsewhere? Jindal’s own state disproves his philosophy.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:06 AM

I so sick and tired of “our” side, so called Conservative pundits and blogs and posters and media bashing ANYTHING or ANYONE Conservative… Jindal, Palin, Sanford, Rush, Mark Levin and many, many more… Jindal made GREAT points, delivered poorly… His thoughts, his positions and his message ARE CORRECT… The radical Messiah and his cult followers in the MSM and the Millions of idiots that believe his constant lies and want his womb to tomb gobmit cheese and welfare and abortions and weakend Military and apeasment of terrorists are the real and clear and present DANGER!!! NOT Jindal!!! What the hell is worng with you people here at HotAir, WTF Ed and Allah!?! Have you bought into this crap sandwich Obama and his radical agenda for America??? Have you forgotten about hard work, personal responsibility, values, ethics, truth, The Constitution, our freedoms?!? Why would we bash or talk down about Jindal and the message of true hope and change for America? Why would we want to give The Messiah ANY credit for his cunning lies and distortions and subversion of America?

As Republicans, Conservatives, Moderates, Centerists we had better remember WHO THE ENEMY IS… Obama’s plans for America are leading to revolution… His plans to stomp our freedoms, our liberties, to reward lazy people that make bad decisions and don’t work or produce… Jindal, Palin and the others are NOT the ememy of America, Obama IS!!! For all of you posting statements that Jindal did a bad job, or this or that… I have some words for you:

You better learn who the enemy of America is…

(a hint) It’s NOT Palin or Jindal…

Mark Garnett on February 25, 2009 at 8:07 AM

ctmom on February 25, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Good comment.

ctmom on February 25, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Further to your point about feigned optimism is what’s his source of optimism? Big government nanny state. In contrast, what Jindal’s source of optimism? The American people, and his background clearly reflects that. Jindal’s where he is through hard work; Obama’s where he is through celebrity. If conservatives believe what they say, Obama’s policies will eventually do him in.

I’m still struck with Luntz’s focus group. They thought Obama was good, but they weren’t worshipping. At the same time, they seemed strongly opposed to the stimulus bill. Unfortuntately, it’s just going to take time until the downsides of Obama’s policies start being associated with him. Right now, he’s still enjoying his honeymoon, and he’s still able to blame Bush. I don’t know how long this will last.

It’s going to fun to watch Biden serve as overseer of the money going to states and cities. Either his oversight will be useless, or it will expose Dems for the frauds that they are. Either way, this money is going down the rabbit hole, and it’s going to do NOTHING EXCEPT, perhaps, shore up the financial condition of some states and cities. But this money is going to a lot of places that Obama can’t control–intentional or not. Those who will essentially steal that money are part of the 35% of the country that will never abandon Obama. The interesting thing will be how the remaining 20% of Obama’s electoral support feels when he’s spent a lot of money and accomplished nothing.

BuckeyeSam on February 25, 2009 at 8:11 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:06 AM

So, what’s your point then? Never mind, I’m going to work. You and Athenboy should try it sometime.

Mark Garnett on February 25, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Amen Brother! + (pick a big number)

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Remember when Luntz focus group was mud around here because people claimed to think Obama “won” the speech. Now they are legit. I don’t know how a focus group of all white people and one black guy is meant to represent a cross section of the American electorate. Not ONE Latino person? A constituency that voted 60/30 for Obama? How many in the focus group were pro-stimulus before the speech? I actually believe that lots of Americans are skeptical of the plan, Luntz shouldn’t have to stack the deck.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Some of us are already there…eastern time zone buddy.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Some of us are already there…eastern time zone buddy.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM

You have a computer right there in the bus station?

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 8:19 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Pathetic, DeathtoCapitalists!
Jindal wasn’t Governor when we poured billions into N.O. and hear that 9th Ward is still as much as hell hole as it ever was, no matter how much money is poured into it.
They’re having a good Mardi Gras, but 6 people got shot yesterday, so I guess those federal billions *did* put the place back to its normal, dysfunctional state!

Jenfidel on February 25, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Saw Jindal’s response and he came off a little dorky at first but I thought all in all he did fine. I’ll go with substance over style right now. OTOH, He was just on Today with Merideth Viera and came off very impressive. He can definitely handle himself off the cuff.

BrianA on February 25, 2009 at 8:22 AM

You guys are a trip.

tomas on February 25, 2009 at 8:27 AM

More blah, blah, blah . . . blah from Obama. Unfortunately, Hume and his gaggle of pouters had to put down Jindal and give Obama an unearned boost. I think it’s time FOX organized a new panel.

rplat on February 25, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Bobby Jindal badly needs a makeover so he appears older and looks less like Alfalfa.

Sarah Palin purposely tones down her looks and tries to appear older and more businesslike with the glasses and hairstyles. There are a few images of her by Todd’s plane without the glasses on conservative websites. Without the glasses, Palin appears to be about 28 years old and incredibly hot; ugly feminists would hate her even more.

bw222 on February 25, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Jindal wasn’t Governor when we poured billions into N.O.

Why do you speak in past tense? We’re STILL pouring tens of millions into New Orleans and the state of Louisiana’s economy has been better for it. Not sure where you’re going with your comments about the crime rate in the 9th ward or how that’s relevant here…but OK! People getting shot in a big city is apparently hugely shocking for you. After you calm down, come join the adults in actual reality where these kinds of things are already understood. Until Jindal starts saying “no thanks federal government, don’t pay all those people working on reconstruction who are helping our local economy” he doesn’t have a philosophical lens to stand on.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:34 AM

athensboy on February 25, 2009 at 7:15 AM

‘Scuse me, but the DemocRat party is the one with the stable of zeroes!

Jindal merely needs to work on his TV speechifying skills. He’s terrific when he’s speaking in interviews–I’ve heard him be extremely articulate and eloquent.
As for Sarah Palin (derisively dubbed “Caribou Barbie”), she could have given Bobby Jindal’s same speech and made it sing. I guar-an-tee!
The GOP is coming back with a vengeance in 2010 and you Liberals/DemocRats/Communists are going to get your karma (a/k/a comeuppance)!

Jenfidel on February 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Outlander on February 25, 2009 at 7:34 AM

good rebuttal, all good points!

While I don’t disagree with number 1 entirely, I do feel, that as trite as it might be, by bringing up “a great moment in history” he got the obligatory, democrat expected, kudos out of the way. Frankly, much as I abhor the “who” the result was an historical moment.

Bringing up his family comparison didn’t strike me as pandering as much as a segue into the optimism of his rebuttal. “Americans can do anything” It was nice to be reminded of that after a month of doom, gloom and catastrophe.

Definitely more details should be forthcoming on tax cuts and healthcare reform and I hope that ideas and details are coming soon. I so agree with this statement of yours

ladyhawke53 on February 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Also why does Bobby Jindal want people to die in a fiery volcanic explosion?

Before the cataclysmic eruption, roughly one million people lived in the region around Mount Pinatubo, including about 30,000 American military personnel and their dependents at the two largest U.S. military bases in the Philippines–Clark Air Base and Subic Bay Naval Station. The slopes of the volcano and the adjacent hills and valleys were home to thousands of villagers. Despite the great number of people at risk, there were few casualties in the June 15 eruption. This was the result of intensive monitoring of Mount Pinatubo by scientists with the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) and the USGS.

The USGS and PHIVOLCS estimate that their forecasts saved at least 5,000 lives and perhaps as many as 20,000. The people living in the lowlands around Mount Pinatubo were alerted to the impending eruption by the forecasts, and many fled to towns at safer distances from the volcano or took shelter in buildings with strong roofs. Additionally, more than 18,000 American servicemen and their dependents were evacuated from Clark Air Base prior to the June 15 eruption. In the eruption, thousands of weaker roofs, including some on Clark, collapsed under the weight of ash made wet by heavy rains, yet only about 250 lowland residents were killed. Of the 20,000 indigenous Aeta highlanders who lived on the slopes of Mount Pinatubo, all but about 120 were safely evacuated before the eruption completely devastated their villages.

In addition to the many lives saved, property worth hundreds of millions of dollars was protected from damage or destruction in the eruption. When aircraft and other equipment at the U.S. bases were flown to safe areas or covered, losses of at least $200 to 275 million were averted. Philippine and other commercial airlines prevented at least another $50 to 100 million in damage to aircraft by taking similar actions. By heeding warnings of hazardous volcanic ash clouds from Pinatubo, commercial and military pilots avoided severe damage to their aircraft and potentially saved hundreds of lives.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:37 AM

The best Creationism has to offer.

ronsfi on February 25, 2009 at 5:02 AM

Another Christian basher?

Johan Klaus on February 25, 2009 at 8:38 AM

With the comments here at HotAir by Ed, Allah the ilk, I could just puke… What a TOTAL SACK OF CRAP for Conservatives, Moderates, Centrists, Atheists, Christians, Republicans, RINO’s, hell for ANYONE to support The Messiah’s ideas and agenda for America over the ideas and principals that Jindal articulated is horrible… A testament to the stupidity of some, the desire to love and worship The Leader and his radical destruction of our history, of our present and our children’s future. HotAir and all associated should be ashamed to even talk of Obama in the same sentence as Jindal, Palin, and Rush, Sanford, Mark Levin, Glenn Beck and others… Obama is a clear and present DANGER, and for anyone not to see that makes them an idiot and fool…

Mark Garnett on February 25, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Did anyone else think Steele looked a lil on the drunk side on Hannity when he had to talk about Jindal…but i guess…it wasnt a great night….

i feel for the guy, he came across terribly…it should have been DeMint or Steele that gave the response…

i guess we can finally put to rest who the candidate will be in 2012…

alexraye on February 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM

I’m a Jindal fan, but last night he sounded exactly like Kenneth the NBC page from “30 Rock”. Either a weird nervous reaction to his first national address or some very bad advice from a speech coach.

flip on February 25, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Jindal was assigned to give the RNC official response to Obama’s speech that sold America everything including the kitchen sink and the outhouse crapper. That official responsibility defined the parameters of Jindal’s speech. Jindal presented Michael Steele’s message a hell-of-a-lot better than Steele to make nice with the opposition, to prove the mediating role with the antagonistic, intolerant elitists.

In a civilized world (where Republicans rule), stage one should always begin with a diplomatic reasoning. Jindal said that Republicans WANT to work with Democrats to accomplish those things that we agree upon. Then he said that Republicans must unite to oppose those things that Republicans eschew.

Jindal said that, and that is what I wanted to hear. Jindal began to define what Republicans are now.

Exactly what did you want said last night; and what do you want Congressional Republicans to do now? Would your response have played into the MSM caging of Republicans to strengthen our prospects?

The fact that the Socialists cage opposition needs to be addressed and redressed. The blogs FOLLOW-UP TO THE FOLLOW-UP is when the cages are removed with surgical precision with surprising shock and awe, or as the case may be, NOT.

Either there is tolerance for those with faith, or not.

The GOP has the opportunity and responsibility to co-opt the entire premise of Classical Liberalism to cut the Socialists off at their Democrat knees. We may not agree with Jindal’s faith, but will absolutely defend his right to it.

Focus on the target, not the distractions.

Stick to the facts:

Unlike Democrats, Jindal isn’t the One saying to let the starving masses eat cake when the tax man takes away the people’s bread. Jindal isn’t the One telling people to sit around waiting for the dole when the Perfect Storm approaches. Jindal IS the Governor who effectively wipes out corrupt government and rebuilds his State and its morale. Furthermore, Jindal is the Govenor who won’t sell his State for a false promise that isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

maverick muse on February 25, 2009 at 8:44 AM

OMG It’s true, I’m calling him Kenny Jindal now. But at least Kenny wouldn’t want people to die a horrible fiery death from volcano.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:45 AM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM

I see that you are still comsumed with the color of a persons skin.

Johan Klaus on February 25, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Why do you speak in past tense? We’re STILL pouring tens of millions into Not sure where you’re going with your comments about the crime rate in the 9th ward or how that’s relevant here…but OK!

The 9th Ward hasn’t been rebuilt and as far as anyone can tell, will never be rebuilt, no matter how many billions we pour into N.O.

People getting shot in a big city is apparently hugely shocking for you.

Well, yes. Particularly as they were tourists who were shot at random.
N.O. is a sh!t hole that we should never have spent one thin dime to restore.
It is the Mecca of Liberal Democrat policies in action and their inevitable failure and this was on view for all the world to see during the Katrina mess.
N.O. is below sea level and the chances that it will flood again during or after another hurricane are a distinct possibility, no matter how much we spend to build levees.
It should be abandoned and never rebuilt.

I’m not going to calm down until Ogabe and the media hacks who enable him, LIKE YOU!, are gone from our field of view!

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Incorrect!
Jindal is a Governor and until we secede from the Union (!) in Civil War II, he’s going to continue to take some federal monies, just like all the other 49 governors.

Love the way you try to tear down Jindal’s credibility and bona fides while refusing to turn the same cruel spotlight on the political career of your Messiah! (Psst: NObama wouldn’t hold up well at all, as you know.)
But that doesn’t stop your use of Alinsky-esque personal attacks!

Jenfidel on February 25, 2009 at 8:47 AM

I guess it’s hard to deliver a really compelling, uplifting speech after watching your country get anally raped since the innauguration…

bullseye on February 25, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I didn’t think that Jindal was that bad. He had some moments where I wasn’t sure what he was doing but most of it was good and struck a chord with me (but I’m biased). Certainly not as awful as Obama’s crap speech. All I kept thinking when Obama was speaking is, “lies, lies, lies…I can’t believe most people believe this crap”.

Paul_McD on February 25, 2009 at 8:53 AM

The dismantling of Jindal by the media has begun. Expect “acceptable” racist slights from them.

RobCon on February 25, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Also why does Bobby Jindal want people to die in a fiery volcanic explosion?
DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Somebody’s already toasted and it’s not even 8:00 A.M. here in TX!
Uh, Hacks, Mt. Pinatubo wasn’t located in this country!
And I’m fairly sure that whatever volcanoes we have in the U.S. are already being watched without that extra $140 million.
It’s money for nothing, that was Jindal’s point.
Just like NObama’s promise to “cure cancer” was bogus–Doctors and researchers have been trying to cure cancer for 50 or more years and we’ve surely thrown trillions of $ at the problem already and yet, they have us all buying these pink Susan B. Komen items like crazy, but not to worry, Ogabe’s gonna’ be The One who gets the cure!

Jenfidel on February 25, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Also why does Bobby Jindal want people to die in a fiery volcanic explosion?

DeathToMediaHacks on February 25, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Hey hackhead, I’ll take a crack at answering that one if you answer this first..

Why does obama think it is OK to throw living babies into hospital storerooms to die of dehydration, exposure and starvation???

You don’t have a quarter of the guts or integrity necessary to even try to answer that do you??

bullseye on February 25, 2009 at 8:55 AM