Video: Jindal’s “awful” rebuttal

posted at 11:08 pm on February 24, 2009 by Allahpundit

“Awful” is Ace’s word but I’m in no mood to disagree. And neither are most HA commenters, judging from this mammoth thread. This was his star turn and he came off wooden, especially at the beginning. Oh well. His loss is the rest of the GOP governors’ gain.

RCP has the clip of an unknown MSNBC staffer groaning “Oh God” as Jindal walks out. Some say it’s Olbermann, but I’m skeptical. Consensus?

Update: Patterico’s sure the “Oh God” comes from Olbermann, Goldfarb’s sure it comes from Matthews. Does it matter?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 8

Never in history was there a cipher fuller of himself.

Entelechy on February 24, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Ain’t dat the truth!

Aloha E. Been having cmoputer issues. :(

Kini on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Psst… someone ought to clue Piyush in to the fact that the “volcano monitoring” he snidely derided in his talk is what keeps millions of Americans living in cities such as Seattle, Portland and Anchorage safe from natural disasters.

benny shakar on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Who is the idiot that chose this guy for the rebuttal. Oh yeah, the guy who is going to lead the republican comeback by making republicans more hip hop.

We are S C R E W E D!

The Wall on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

I dug Jindal’s speech and thought it was at least adequate.

Most important was that he appeared calm and confident in his comments and did not stumble nearly as much as Obama did in his address.

Did anyone recognize how many times Obama stumbled over certain parts of his written out and rehearsed address? Is everyone but me missing that glaring fact?

Come on guys, use your ears in critiquing speeches!

TheMightyQuinn on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Do we need to praise Obama’s “story” at this point, Bobby?

Shouldn’t we be criticizing his fairy tales?

In an adult voice, with some knowledge of where Barry’s political jugular is?

The Dems use every scurrilous means to attack to win.

The Republicans seem to want to appear reasonable in order to lose nicely.

Where are the damned Republicans who want to win?

profitsbeard on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

I’m glad Palin did not do this rebuttal. I think it was a mistake for Jindal to do it. These rebuttals are like sacrificial lambs. Throw a congressman/woman out there…

BTW, for all you Palin skeptics (incl you Allah), she’s out w/ her first press release about the stimulus w/ some numbers. So far, she’s only taking infrastructure dollars, which would be in any federal spending bill anyway…..

So far I like what I see…

davek70 on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

After listening to it, I still think the speech was fine.

The delivery needs work though.

Needed to be more serious, and less “talking to children.”

Got better as it went through, but Jindal needs to balance the folksy shtick with looking the American people straight in the eye and telling them like it is, strongly, passionately, and soberly.

I guess I must begrudgingly agree that it was a disappointment, but let’s not bury the man due to one speech.

That seems to be our thing lately at HotAir. Find a reason to declare perfectly good candidates politically dead. (No, McCain doesn’t count. ;-) )

Hawkins1701 on February 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Nah, two-headed monster.

ddrintn on February 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM

I wish Glenn could replace O’Reilly because I can’t stand O’s butt kissing of Obama.

Jindal did fine. Public speaking he can do, he can’t do rehearsed. I find that endearing actually. Because it tells me the man is not a phony nor an actor.
Palin is the same. But she can do rehearsed, but does it with improvisation. She is simply an amazing politician. These two are the stars of our party. Palin though, is ready for 2012.

Obama is a parrot. He says what’s on the teleprompter and then does what Soros wants. He has no damn clue what the hell he is saying or doing, but loves the attention. It is beyond creepy.

jencab on February 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM

From who? Bush crippled AQ. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ogabe dodges one completely.

No, believe me when I say the world’s terrorists are watching. Their last best hope is in the Oval Office. They know we’re weak and teetering. They know little hussein purposely seeks to weaken us. We will have an attack in the next four years, and I think it will be so large in scale it will dwarf 9/11.

Obama won’t be able to make a single retaliatory move after such an attack without seeking guidance from his 300 advisors and public opinion polls.

ErinF on February 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM

However, Jindal’s fundamental point still stands. Volcano monitoring doesn’t sound like stimulative spending to me.

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:49 PM

$140 million?

BuckeyeSam on February 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Which MSNBC staffer said “Oh God”?

Answer: They all did. What you want to know is who said it in front of a live mic.

thegreatbeast on February 24, 2009 at 11:54 PM

JIndal’s message isn’t the problem. I get it. Most of the people posting here get it (I hope).

The problem is we need a great communicator so that the rest of America that doesn’t take the interest that we do in politics also get it.

husker3000 on February 24, 2009 at 11:54 PM

profitsbeard on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

+10 FTW

AUINSC on February 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Palin will use only 50% of the stimulus money sent to her state. Announced on the governors website.

ousoonerfan15 on February 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM

davek70 on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Thanks for the link.

FYI, AP is not a Palin skeptic. He just doesn’t like that other people like her. :)

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Would have made a greater impact to align his life story in the speech.
Government is not a solution, but the problem, and how I relate the example…. for example.

Kini on February 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM

After hours

Why does Hotair blog links to anything with cnn in it?

KentAllard on February 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Big night for Governor Sanford.

Sugar Land on February 24, 2009 at 11:46 PM

I hope he does well and we’re surprised. But Governor Sanford went on to CNN to advocate for McCain and hadn’t prepared a single difference between McCain and Bush. He doesn’t exactly scream preparation.

Of course, I’m not crossing him off. Just like I’m not crossing off Palin or Jindal. It’s 2009. Campaigning doesn’t start for at least 2 years. Things will change by then and so, hopefully, will each of their skill sets. I say we track their progress over that time and not simply cross someone off after their first major national speech, be it Jindal, Palin, or any other contender.

amerpundit on February 24, 2009 at 11:56 PM

blog s/b block

KentAllard on February 24, 2009 at 11:56 PM

benny shakar on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Reposting the same comment makes me want to pay less attention to you.

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:56 PM

As i said on an earlier thread the only way you can really assess how good Sarah Palin was as a candidate is to put her up against somebody else.

Now I think you are seeing why the people that support Sarah 200% are behind her. Superstars are rare. We have one in the GOP. Now we have to let the world know all about it.

technopeasant on February 24, 2009 at 11:56 PM

ousoonerfan15 on February 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM

The woman is a conservative star. She is ready for 2012.

jencab on February 24, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Drywall is perpetually asleep.

Darth Executor on February 24, 2009 at 11:30 PM

One Canada, two radically different men…

Kini, not to worry.

Aloha from Cali,

Entelechy on February 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM

$140 million?

BuckeyeSam on February 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Sorry, didn’t quite understand your response.

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM

davek70 on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

LOL, I remember waaaaay back, Jim Wright and George Mitchell did a joint rebuttal of some speech by Bush I. Limbaugh thereafter called them “Bartles & Jaymes” (look it up, those too young to remember). I think Limbaugh will still does the “we just wawnnna help yeewwwwww” thing. LOL

ddrintn on February 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM

I’m a fan of Palin and her style, but even she would have been hurt by having to deliver a response speech in an empty room after a speech by The One to the full US Congress.

Uh, let’s give Palin a little credit here. I don’t think even the left disputes she can deliver a good speech. I remember right after her convention speech all the progressive blogsophere was buzzing about how the speech was written by a “Bushie.” They weren’t arguing her delivery reeked like we are now with Jindal.

terryannonline on February 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Precisely terryannonline…it’s not fair to compare a “convention speech” or even a garden variety rally speech to a person, seemingly alone in a room, giving a speech, with no pauses for applauses. The unfair advantage always goes to the President.

Hmmmm, maybe we need a Fairness Doctrine for political response speeches…

ornery_independent on February 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM

What happened? This is not the same guy on those other videos the past few weeks. Did he choke? He was so well spoken the other day I was really looking forward to this. I’m a little disappointed. But not writing him off either. He says the right things. And his deliver was great the other day. He’s got some years to polish that delivery so folks can hear the message.

jusgottabeme on February 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM

I have been watching all of the opinions from everyone since before the election… and I appreciate everyones take on all of this, but what the hell are we doing here? I have listened more than I’ve commented and maybe that is the issue with the majority of us out there. But rather than just commenting about what is wrong with every thing, we need to look at what is right about what we have and get our act together to actually make it right. Don’t get me wrong, I have been on the side lines and maybe it’s time that I along with others get off our butts and do something that will make a contribution that will really make a difference to this country that we all love.

Now give me an idea of what I should do…….other than go to hell!

antiquechick on February 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Sounded like the host of one of those history shows for kids and the hand gestures ….it looked liked he’d been coached by Billy Mays.

Republicans need not genuflect before the alter of Obama before getting to the nub of the matter.

moxie_neanderthal on February 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Jindal is from the area of the big easy, what was he supposed to sound like? Some douche from Harvard?

Jindal did fine in spite of it. His message got through.

RobertInLexington on February 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM

In four years, people will be looking for solutions to the horrific mess we’ll be in, not a charismatic empty suit. Palin may be the stronger candidate by then, but we need more than one credible leader in this movement. Jindal’s great.

jazz_piano on February 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM

jindal did great!

those who think he didn’t do great were swept up by the hoopla surrounding obama’s speech.

actually, obama was awful.

he made several mistakes and his timing sucked.

reliapundit on February 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Is every Republican speech for the next four years going to start with the “Every American is so proud that we have a black president” shtick?

Mark1971 on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

I came into the speech a little late and missed all of the commentary. The color of his skin didn’t even enter my mind until it was all over and somebody on the panel pointed it out.

FloatingRock on February 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM

If Palin is the best we’ve got, we’re screwed.

Borislav on February 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM

“Awful” is Ace’s word but I’m in no mood to disagree.

Allah, you could have gone further along these lines and you’d get no argument from me. It was what it was. We face a very serious threat to our Republic from the dems, and all the GOP wants to do is be nice. The idiot messiah gives the most insane Presidential speech in history, and Jindal, aside from stylistic problems (which are no big deal), blew it by trying to play nice with the snakes – along with some other milque-toast Republicans afterwards. If they can’t fight, they need to clear the stage for someone who can.

progressoverpeace on February 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM

mitt would have the most gravitas for the gop now.

reliapundit on February 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Jindal is not the problem……………

……….. the original cause of our economic crisis is.

Seven Percent Solution on February 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM

ousoonerfan15 on February 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM

The perfect play.

Firebird on February 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM

it looked liked he’d been coached by Billy Mays.
moxie_neanderthal on February 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Heh heh heh.

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM

It could be 3 part harmony and rehearsed with Jackson Five dance move for what it matters. They were all thinkin’ it.

juanito on February 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Will Jindal’s rebuttal affect the markets tomorrow?

Will Obama’s speech affect the markets tomorrow?

Damn straight.

Obama was all about government. At some point, people will realize that they have a greater interest in improving markets than in Obama’s approval ratings–and those two things have been inversely related. But now that the economy is his, they will be directly related.

Good luck with “the recovery,” Barry.

BuckeyeSam on February 25, 2009 at 12:00 AM

If Palin is the best we’ve got, we’re screwed.

Borislav on February 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM

I’m willing to give Palin time to work on substance, Jindal time to work on delivery.

jazz_piano on February 25, 2009 at 12:00 AM

After hours

KentAllard on February 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM

The markets will be interesting to watch tomorrow.

Entelechy on February 25, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I think Jindal did fine. Now is not the time to challange Obama right after the speech and think about it what can you say if you don’t go after him that would satisfy what we on the right want to hear?

He won’t be in the news tomorrow and that is a victory for us. Read a site like newsbusters and you get the feeling the MSM and Dems are looking for ammo. The MSM wants to shift negativity to the right bad and Jindal didn’t help them. As far as I am cocerend he could have done an impression of Beaver Cleaver and in the end it is the best thing.

Conan on February 25, 2009 at 12:01 AM

…needs to balance the folksy shtick with looking the American people straight in the eye and telling them like it is, strongly, passionately, and soberly.

Hawkins1701 on February 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM

I particularly agree with that part of your comment. We need some leaders on our side who will show some righteous indignation and passion, some authentic anger at what is happening to this country. Authenticity here is key. Phony outrage can be sniffed a mile away. McCain is great at that. People on our side didn’t believe his B.S. so no one should have been surprised that the American people didn’t buy it.

flyfisher on February 25, 2009 at 12:01 AM

If Palin is the best we’ve got, we’re screwed.

Borislav on February 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM

May her tribe greatly increase.

I have had enough of the silver tongue con artists.

How screwed can we be when Barney Frank can sling spit on the whole front row and still get elected.

RobertInLexington on February 25, 2009 at 12:02 AM

progressiveoverpeace on February 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM

I agree with you completely. Jindal didn’t sound all that persuasive (lack of charisma) but also I think we needed someone with more gravitas to give the rebuttal, a person to give a wider perspective, someone like Fred Thompson.

technopeasant on February 25, 2009 at 12:02 AM

jencab on February 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Oh my gosh, my feelings exactly. One month has seemed like an eternity. I still can’t believe so many people love this guy.

He doesn’t know his (blank) from his elbow. Yesterday he actually sounded scared. He said he doesn’t intend to grow the government more than it is already because “I have enough on my plate already.” Scary.

And he is creepy the way he loves the attention.

Elisa on February 25, 2009 at 12:02 AM

davek70 on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Thanks for the link.

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM

NP. BTW, just to throw in some more Palin news, here’s another press release about the stupid Per Diem thing that was resolved today. She is ACTUALLY willing to pay for some of the questionable expenses w/ her OWN money. It’s disgusting what opponents and media are doing to her, yet she handles it w/ grace. Name me ONE other Governor that would agree to do what she did today…

davek70 on February 25, 2009 at 12:02 AM

mitt would have the most gravitas for the gop now.

reliapundit on February 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Maybe, because of his business background. But he has an authenticity problem. And sometimes he’s awfully wooden.

flyfisher on February 25, 2009 at 12:02 AM

antiquechick on February 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Speak what you feel. Be a thinker.

Elections have consequences. Pros and Cons.

Right now, we have lots of cons…. and tax cheats.

Kini on February 25, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Sorry, didn’t quite understand your response.

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Sorry, entirely too cryptic. My intent was to agree that it wasn’t stimulus, and it seems particularly extravagant at $140 million–regardless of what Schummer says about the chattering classes.

BuckeyeSam on February 25, 2009 at 12:04 AM

FloatingRock on February 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Which is what has always gotten me. Whenever I’ve made a criticism of him, his race doesn’t enter into it. His far-left liberal orthodoxy, unconstrained visions, lying through the teeth, etc. do. But I could give a rat’s behind if he’s black, white, or purple.

Yet, the left will always bring up his skin color into a criticism of his policies. You’re not even thinking about his skin pigment and yet it ends up being brought into the picture. And we’re the racists.

amerpundit on February 25, 2009 at 12:04 AM

jazz_piano on February 25, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Heh…we don’t have much choice. :)

ddrintn on February 25, 2009 at 12:04 AM

progressoverpeace on February 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM

I agree. He criticized (rather than attacked) the Congressional Dems. But the speechwriter was careful to keep a good two sentence buffer between something critical and Obama’s name.

This is not the time to emphasize bipartisanship with the White House when Obama is so far left. Don’t say “we want to work with the President.” That doesn’t mean saying “we won’t work with the President.” Just emphasize why Obama is going down the wrong path and the Republicans offer a viable and noticeably different alternative.

darii on February 25, 2009 at 12:05 AM

flyfisher on February 25, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Agreed–and I really want to like Mitt. And, he’s not the best choice to lead the populist backlash that’s coming.

jazz_piano on February 25, 2009 at 12:05 AM

He has no damn clue what the hell he is saying or doing…

jencab on February 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Wall Street agrees with you. Give it time and a majority of Americans will agree with you.

flyfisher on February 25, 2009 at 12:06 AM

These canned responses almost always turn out bad. The only good one that I can recall occured after the 1994 elections and it was delivered by Fred Thompson.

PackerBronco on February 25, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Starlink on February 25, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Case in point: McCain.

jazz_piano on February 25, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Rewatch Sarah’s Dayton debut and in particular, the portions where she talks about her life story and compare them to the similar portions of Bobby’s speech tonight.

It’s not even close.

It’s plain as day – Sarah’s not afraid of Obama. The overwhelming majority of the GOP is and it shows in their delivery.

Moreover, the only two people on our side the left fears are Sarah and Rush.

Nat Hound on February 25, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Indeed. The smirk and cadence of the empty boy king. Never in history was there a cipher fuller of himself.

Entelechy on February 24, 2009 at 11:43 PM

The man is smug ugly smugly.

God, save our once-great nation from this smugly pretender.

hillbillyjim on February 25, 2009 at 12:08 AM

technopeasant on February 25, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Fred! would have laid it out – and laid the idiot messiah out, I’m sure. The speech to Congress was a softball waiting to be hit out of the park. I figure Fred! will have something to say about this in the coming days, along with other conservatives who are probably as disgusted as we are by the weak responses tonight. As much as many dislike him, Hannity put it all into perspective on his show afterwards. (I happen to like Sean and think that he did a great job during the campaign)

progressoverpeace on February 25, 2009 at 12:09 AM

A reminder: The greatness that was Ronald Reagan was not born overnight. Read your history!

youngTXcon on February 25, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Heck, O’Bama had no experience, socialist agenda, willing to say anything, and pattitudes galore………but he could communicate. Moral: You can be an empty suit but articulate and go far in American politics, and yet be astute on issues, but if you can’t communicate,….forget it.

And the unfortunate realization is that skills, talent, intelligence, leadership don’t mean crap. It’s all about the cut of the suit, the smile, the smooth delivery. We don’t elect leaders… we elect Barbie dolls.

Kalifornia Kafir on February 25, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Good luck with “the recovery,” Barry.

BuckeyeSam on February 25, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I’m thinking the same thing. At some point people have GOT TO WAKE UP and see what is happening here. Of course there is the possibility that the economy recovers in spite of Obama’s incompetence and then we really do get the true socialism Obama promises. It is sad really that this is what has come of the founder’s dream. So so sad.

petunia on February 25, 2009 at 12:10 AM

flyfisher on February 25, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Gosh, I hope so.

And I still like Jindal. I am very optomistic for his future. Telepromters can be learned. His substance and the ease with which he talks in interviews like Meet the Press is what is important.

Elisa on February 25, 2009 at 12:10 AM

jazz_piano on February 25, 2009 at 12:05 AM

I like him, but he cannot authentically connect with the average man. And I have a suspicion we are entering a period when it won’t be good to be a son of privilege.

flyfisher on February 25, 2009 at 12:10 AM

youngTXcon on February 25, 2009 at 12:09 AM
“The greatness…” should be the part that’s emphasized.

youngTXcon on February 25, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Man, I don’t know. Any political speech that starts off with Happy Mardi Gras!, is going south.

keep the change on February 25, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Case in point: McCain.

jazz_piano on February 25, 2009 at 12:07 AM

McCain has always played the self-righteous populist…thinking that he was the next Teddy Roosevelt…in fact he was. Remember that Teddy’s Bull-Moose populist campaign but Woodrow Wilson in the Whitehouse…for the same reasons that McCain’s put Obama in the Whitehouse.

AUINSC on February 25, 2009 at 12:12 AM

PackerBronco on February 25, 2009 at 12:07 AM

If only he was a little younger and had the drive. He is my favorite

Elisa on February 25, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Nat Hound on February 25, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Moreover, the only people on our side the left fears are Sarah and Rush.

Now do you understand why John Ziegler risked his entire fortune to expose Obama and the MSM and to reveal all the inaccuracies and disinformation spread about Sarah.

Sarah is a keeper.

technopeasant on February 25, 2009 at 12:12 AM

I thought Jindal was fine. He said something that I have been waiting for a Republican to say for AGES: opposition comes from a fundamental difference in philosophy about the proper role of government, not from some knee-jerk dogma as it is often portrayed.

LockeFox on February 25, 2009 at 12:12 AM

I don’t buy that.

I think people like the appearance of confidence. Some of it can be faked, but they still like (and respond) to the real as well.

Spirit of 1776 on February 25, 2009 at 12:13 AM

I mixed up.First most people say they want a good real deal Consev.Thats what Jindal is.Now a lot of you are saying Jendal did,t speak that well tonight and was not as slick as Obama.What do you want a real consev.or someone that says all the right words but does not believe a word of it.Some of you are even making fun of the way he talks.The man is 37 years old a 2 term congressman and now the gov of a state. What had Obama done before he ran for pres.?I do not believe that most real american what slick talk and all hat and no cattle.Bobby Jindal will get better at speaking he will also still be a real deal consev.Gov.Huckabee is a good speaker and gives a stem winder of a speach but you any of you believe he is a consev. Obama is a slick speaker but he.s all hat and no cattle.

thmcbb on February 25, 2009 at 12:13 AM

I can’t believe everyone is melting down on Bobby. Was it a great retort, no… it was a canned speech. But this was his first shot on the national stage. This guy 1-on-1 with Obama will be a pay-per-view event. And I think just like a pay-per-view event, He’ll take Obama out in the 2nd round.

mdebarr on February 25, 2009 at 12:14 AM

The markets will be interesting to watch tomorrow.

Entelechy on February 25, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Indeed.

hillbillyjim on February 25, 2009 at 12:14 AM

darii on February 25, 2009 at 12:05 AM

In theory, I agree with you, but I think these speeches are all about adulating Obama. I hate Obama and his policies even more, but he personally walks on water. The best the GOP can do is let his policies work their magic for a while.

Luntz may be a tool, but that focus group was interesting. Small, yes, but intereting. The impression of Obama was generally (not overwhelmingly) favorable. But the impression of the stimulus was decidedly negative–it wasn’t lukewarm. So, to my thinking, the GOP just needs to be firm, smile at public events like these, oppose when not in front a lot of cameras, and let Obama’s policies kill him.

Jindal had an impossible task. Not because Obama was great, but because the press and the supporters want him to be so and are just looking to crucify naysayers. They’re doing the same thing as the gays in California on Prop 8.

BuckeyeSam on February 25, 2009 at 12:14 AM

‘Kays… This is why we like Sarah more. Girlfriend can speak.

Illinidiva on February 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM

I agree. Needed more winking and hockey mom jokes.

thecountofincognito on February 25, 2009 at 12:15 AM

youngTXcon on February 25, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Ever watch Reagan’s 1964 speech A Time for Choosing? GOLDEN

Sure he developed, but he had “it” from the start.

flyfisher on February 25, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Hate to say it… but we need another Ross Perot…

Remember his Pie Charts? He was able to move the debate to specifics, vice platitudes, and HE is the reason we had a balanced budget for a time… because BOTH parties were afraid of a viable third party coming into being…

It amuses me that NO ONE bothers to attack Obama… they are so busy playing nice, that they are lossing the game.

Someone out there… with some Gravitas like Cheney, or Thompson, needs to get some airtime and explain that the adults are now out of power…

Romeo13 on February 25, 2009 at 12:15 AM

darii on February 25, 2009 at 12:05 AM

I agree, but I would go much further and make it clear that their policies will destroy this nation. For example, just the cap and trade, by itself, will hobble industry and cost trillions – and all for some pipe dream of “global warming”, which is a crock. And they have policies to kill every sector of our economy and our society – well, except the leech sector, which will thrive until nothing is left, or until we get hit again. These are deadly policies the dems are proposing. Absolutely deadly. And they will be rejected one way or another.

That does it for me, tonight. Nite all.

progressoverpeace on February 25, 2009 at 12:15 AM

@reliapundit

jindal did great!

I didn’t even watch Obama’s speech. I’m also a Jindal voter going years back, yard signs, phone banking, the whole nine yards. And I say Jindal did a really crappy job tonight. Sorry….

Laura on February 25, 2009 at 12:16 AM

I like the things he said fine but his manner and delivery was very much, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, that of like someone talking to kids on a PBS program. I didn’t watch much of it as a result.

Doesn’t hurt him at all in the long run and he’s still as much a player for 2012 (no matter what he says) as anyone.

JoeinTX on February 25, 2009 at 12:16 AM

Moreover, the only two people on our side the left fears are Sarah and Rush.

Nat Hound on February 25, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Exactly right. Sarah Palin is THE anti-Obama.

ddrintn on February 25, 2009 at 12:16 AM

youngTXcon on February 25, 2009 at 12:09 AM

True, but “A Time for Choosing” was given very early in RR’s political career, and it’s as good as a speech as anyone has ever given. The skill can be sharpened, but you either have the gift or you don’t.

It’s a pretty rare thing – a political talent like Sarah or Obama or Bill Clinton or RR comes along once in a very long while. In fact, it’s sort of unusual that both sides have an unquestioned heavyweight. When was the last time that happened?

Nat Hound on February 25, 2009 at 12:17 AM

First, I’m a Jindal fan…best Governor Louisiana ever had and an excellent conservative.

Second, you have to have both..message and some degree of charisma…especially in this day and age. Charisma obviously trumps all…the trick is to find a true conservative that has it.

I’m sorry, but that’s just the way it is.

AUINSC on February 25, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Kini on February 25, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Thank you for your feedback. I watch this site and the comments that everyone makes. I think that I feel intimidated that my opinion is not as dynamic as others and so I just read instead of commenting. I am so pissed off at what is happening to our country that I just can’t shut up any more. I have say something……….or I’ll blow up! Most of my friends are liberals and it is hard for me to deal with what is going on. Just thank you to all of you who keep me sane and it’s not just me that think things are f__ked up.

antiquechick on February 25, 2009 at 12:18 AM

I am not moved by the president’s personal story, Bobby. He was raised rich in Hawaii, and never went anywhere without a silver spoon with which to dine. And I certainly couldn’t give a crap about his ethnicity. So stop groveling before the “historical” glory of his complexion and get on with the war. Because that’s what this is, and make no mistake, he is the enemy.

Blacklake on February 25, 2009 at 12:18 AM

youngTXcon on February 25, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Maybe, but by 1964 he knew how to give one helluva speech. I first heard his “A Time For Choosing” speeech (oddly enough) on Mark Levin’s show. I’ve subsequently listened to it a number of times. It is a masterpiece and timeless.

If you’ve never watched/listened to the speech it is something to behold. His message resonates as much or more so as it did then

Link: 1964: A Tim For Choosing

scroll down to see the vid: The text of the speech is below the video.

moxie_neanderthal on February 25, 2009 at 12:18 AM

petunia on February 25, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Obama talks personal responsiblity, but he really doesn’t believe and he’s really never had to live by it. He’s an affirmative action candidate, pure and simple.

If you believe that in the end the good guys win, hang in there. When back on top, however, we can’t allow graft, corruption, greed, and stupidity to creep back in.

BuckeyeSam on February 25, 2009 at 12:18 AM

I was very disappointed in Jindal’s delivery. Doesn’t everybody remember when McCain was running, the Republicans who voted for him forgot how terrible a speaker he was. Then Obama just cruised along with his great charismatic speaking style. Can we afford to vote for another person who can’t possibly compete with Obama’s speech talent for 2012?

Sarah Palin gave a great Convention speech, but didn’t do well handling the interviews.

Mike Huckabee was a great debater and is the best communicators in the Republican Party. He can handle the heat, has great interviews and gives fantastic speeches. Last year at CPAC, Romney won because they also had people who voted from home. They took a straw poll at CPAC-2008 with just the people present at CPAC, and Mike Huckabee won by a landslide. He is a charismatic speaker but he relates to the middle class too. That’s who they should ask to give the rebuttal the next time Obama speaks. Watch him on the “Huckabee” show at 8:00 p.m. EST on Sat. or Sun when he gives the closing statement…he’s great. His show is the highest rated show on Fox or any other cable station all weekend because people like him and he has a way of speaking that everybody understands.

VFT on February 25, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Hate to say it… but we need another Ross Perot…

That was a joke right? BTW, where is old Ross, now that the Democrats are spending us into oblivion…where are his pie charts today? Oh, right…those only come out when he’s running against a Republican.

AUINSC on February 25, 2009 at 12:20 AM

….It’s 2009. Campaigning doesn’t start for at least 2 years….

amerpundit on February 24, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Actually there is an election in less than 2 years, one in which the conservatives could kneecap Hussein and take back some measure of control in Congress. Then we can think about who has the best shot at taking down Hussein.

And let’s not forget Hussein is STILL campaigning. I still get his emails encouraging people to meet in their little neighborhoods, and plan for the next battles. Conservatives need to get WAY BETTER at grassroots organizing and it needs to start yesterday, but I’m not seeing it yet.

ornery_independent on February 25, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Jindal was horrendous. He came off as a little kid telling a campfire story. Even you strip away what he had to follow, and following Obama sucks for anyone, he was still a disaster.

Having said that, its one speech for f*cks sake. If our standard is that you can’t have a bad interview or speech in order to have a future in the GOP, the party may as well end. Because you’ll never find that person.

V15J on February 25, 2009 at 12:21 AM