Video: Jindal’s “awful” rebuttal

posted at 11:08 pm on February 24, 2009 by Allahpundit

“Awful” is Ace’s word but I’m in no mood to disagree. And neither are most HA commenters, judging from this mammoth thread. This was his star turn and he came off wooden, especially at the beginning. Oh well. His loss is the rest of the GOP governors’ gain.

RCP has the clip of an unknown MSNBC staffer groaning “Oh God” as Jindal walks out. Some say it’s Olbermann, but I’m skeptical. Consensus?

Update: Patterico’s sure the “Oh God” comes from Olbermann, Goldfarb’s sure it comes from Matthews. Does it matter?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 8

Substance over style, people! Substance (Jindal) over style (little hussein).

As far as I’m concerned, obama is nothing more than a gold-plated turd.

ErinF on February 24, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Honestly,,, how many people even watched it?
3 days from now this whole State of the Stimulus speech will largely forgotten,, because it changes nothing. It was just a giant campaign speech for more spending and more bank loans.
Obama did nothing to help himself tonight. All he did was convince people he wants to spend money and wants banks to give people new loans!!
Forget the jobs!! Obama will get us all new loans!! The country is saved!!!

JellyToast on February 24, 2009 at 11:30 PM

When Obama leaves office in eight years and is walking toward the helicopter, you know that we’ll hear “Isn’t this amazing, the first time in our history that a black men has left the presidency…a man that just 50 years ago couldn’t drink from a scumy waterfountain in Macon, GA…and blah! blah! blah!” When is this “historical moment” crap going to end????

Jim-Rose on February 24, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Cheshire Cat on February 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Drywall is perpetually asleep.

Darth Executor on February 24, 2009 at 11:30 PM

The MSM touted Jindal as a rising star. In a way they wish he had performed better. Now they have to search for somebody else to put up against Sarah Palin.

technopeasant on February 24, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Palin was good with the base (people like us), but did she appeal to the general public?
malan89 on February 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Palin will redefine herself in a couple of years, she will have mass appeal …she’s playing it cool.

Firebird on February 24, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Riiiight. Even Fred sans coffee had better speeches then this last year.

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM

No you di-in’t.

He’s gonna be punching you like the hippie you are.

MadisonConservative on February 24, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Does it matter?

Nah – all in the same family.

It wasn’t a cigarette he had in his mouth.

Darth Executor on February 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Adevarat – it was a cigar.

Entelechy on February 24, 2009 at 11:31 PM

I’m starting to think that ’12 will be Romney and Sanford vs “moderate” and ’16 will be Jindal, Palin, and “moderate” presuming all of them are interested in running again. I would not be surprised at all if Palin or Romney didn’t run again.

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Obama isn’t leaving office after 8 years. Be prepared for your grandchildren to sing Hail to the Chief!

technopeasant on February 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

The year that Christie Whitman gave the rebuttal, she was in a living room, seated in a wingback chair and her response was pretty decent, more conversational. I’m talking delivery, not message.

Not all rebuttals are bad. But this one kind of sucked.

myrenovations on February 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

MadisonConservative on February 24, 2009 at 11:31 PM

What? He did! He gave great speeches.

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Jindal wasn’t great but man, the president was horrible. Obama can say “caca” for all his speech and the Fox All-Stars will say that Obama’s speech was breathtaking.

The substance of his speech was good. He has enough time to perfect it.

Palin is obviously the best person for the job, but Boehner and McConnell wanted to stick it to Palin for skipping out on their little retreat and get Bobby there.
This serves Bobby as experience and he has enough time to be a great speaker and politician.

Palin is already there. She is seasoned, conservative, has a loyal following, and is a damn great public speaker off the cuff and on prompter.

jencab on February 24, 2009 at 11:33 PM

husker3000 on February 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM

I’m certain I heard “Good evening boys and girls”.

boomer on February 24, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I must have seen a different speech because I thought Jindal did really well. I believe him to be sincere when he talks about what is best about America and Americans. That inspires me.

Can anyone honestly say that about Obama? You know he just pays lip service to the greatness of America/Americans…what he really believes in is the greatness of government. And his own greatness, of course.

CarolynM on February 24, 2009 at 11:33 PM

technopeasant on February 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Dude, he is almost out after 4 weeks.

Firebird on February 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM

ErinF on February 24, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Wrong. Style over substance. That’s how Ogabe got elected. The GOP could’ve just as well stuck Old Man McCain in a wheelchair and sticked a few IV drips in his arm. We need someone with excellent mastery of public speaking and whose style appeals to everybody. It breaks my heart how a qualified, proven competent governor like Palin got rejected because of some worthless interview despite her record, and if Jindal can’t replicate Obama’s charisma (and personally, I never thought he could), he can’t run or we’ll just lose again. TBH, at this point we might as well raise Hitler from the grave and have him orate for us because we couldn’t get any lower.

Darth Executor on February 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Oh God came from Mathews.

VolMagic on February 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM

JetBoy on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Missing you already.

Cindy Munford on February 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM

i dunno. if you’re looking for him to appear “presidential, then it missed the mark. but it wasn’t bad. i think it did the trick.

eh on February 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM

…hmmm…comparisons….

…first, a guy who is all style and no substance speaks, and the world applauds….

…next, a guy who seems (it’s early days yet, remember) to have some backside in his britches gets up and commits what Dennis Miller describes as the ultimate cardinal sin: he looks bad on television….

…hmmmm…style…versus substance….

…kind of like comparing a popcorn fart to an over-cooked or badly seasoned steak, n’cest pas?

Puritan1648 on February 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM

It was probably Matthews “finishing up” after Obama’s speech.

SouthernGent

Thanks for the belly laugh, I needed it tonight!

citrus on February 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM

2004: Mitt who? Sarah who? Bobby who?

I would not be surprised at all if four years later our battle cries would be far different from what we’re even considering now. A weekend is a long time in politics. Four years is an eon.

MadisonConservative on February 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Firebird on February 24, 2009 at 11:31 PM

I agree, but she has to keep herself out in the public spotlight as well.

Yeah, I’m a Palin fan, but I haven’t been this excited about someone since Reagan. Now before everyone beats me over the head, no she’s no Reagan (at least not yet), I just have a good feeling about her

husker3000 on February 24, 2009 at 11:35 PM

And will come the day when they face their Maker, they will in shame say, oh, God!

wepeople on February 24, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Sheesh. He did just fine.

As my mom said, Republicans are the only people that eat their own.

Gina on February 24, 2009 at 11:25 PM

I don’t think we’re eating our own. We want to win. No, we’ve GOT to win. And we’ve got to find the guy who can carry the water on the national stage.

I would argue one of President Bush’s worst problems was his inability to communicate and it cost him dearly. Not since 1984 have we run an effective speaker at the top of our ticket and we’ve got to change that in order to be heard over the liberal media shills. I like Bobby Jindal, but he’ll need to do better to be competitive.

flyfisher on February 24, 2009 at 11:35 PM

When Obama leaves office in eight four years and is walking toward the helicopter…

Hadda be done…

hindmost on February 24, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Jindal is only 37. I wonder if he really has his eyes on 2012. He could serve as governor till about 2014 (assuming he is reelected).
The economy will probably be in better shape by 2012 and running against Obama will be a high hurdle for anyone.

Bradky on February 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM

We must remember that the Great Cummunicator was not well received at the 1988 Demo Convention……There is still great potential for Bobby.

“Oh God?” I thought I heard, “Get a shovel.”

jfshaughnessy on February 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM

CarolynM on February 24, 2009 at 11:33 PM

In politics as it is in football it’s all about matchups.

Could you imagine Jindal going toe-to-toe with the Messiah?

Now could you imagine Sarah Palin going toe-to-toe with the Messiah?

Who would do better?

technopeasant on February 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM

substance was excellent I thought. The delivery just wasnt great. who cares though, no one will really even remember his speech a week from now. He will be fine. I still hope he runs for higher office.

ousoonerfan15 on February 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM

2004: Mitt who? Sarah who? Bobby who?

Ah, but who got the nomination?

Mr. McCain.

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM

What? He did! He gave great speeches.

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

And he didn’t need the coffee. He needed the blood of liberals to dine upon. It was hard to feast when the media was focused on Obama all the time, Hillary could defend herself, and Richardson had none to drink. He was left with Kucinich, and it made him think he was seeing UFOs. Not his fault he was less than spry.

MadisonConservative on February 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Not all rebuttals are bad. But this one kind of sucked.

myrenovations on February 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

The concept sucks, pretty much. Let the ars in chief have his few moments in the universe. Plenty of time to riducule him before, here during, and after. Whoever comes second is just an afterthought, due to rah-rah anticipation of main event. I used to watch C-Span in years past, and occasionally got all excited about the rituals…tonight I walked my wonderful dogs at the perfect timing.

Entelechy on February 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM

I think Hot Air is buying it’s own hype..Jindal is already over? You’re nuts AP.

StevefromMKE on February 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Even though he was nervous and rushed in the beginning, Jindal still came off as likeable and that is the only thing some Americans look for.

I really don’t care about how someone delivers a speech. I care about their issues and what they actually DO. Reagan would still have been great without that talent because he had the guts and wisdom to DO the right things. I think Jindal will have that too. I think enough independents will be looking for substance after 4 years of Obama. (I hope – lol)

I loved the substance of his speech.

He will get better at teleprompters. Relax. A good conservative that knows how to execute is a precious commodity. Don’t throw him away.

Like I said on the other thread, I still can’t believe that after 4 years Americans will not be sick of Obama’s arrogant smirk. I think after a while the cadence of his speech will be like nails on a chaulk board. Depends on the economy. We will see.

Elisa on February 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Jindal needed to perform tonight. He blew it.

That said, it must be the top priority of anyone who cares about this country to get Osama Obama removed from office as soon as possible.

If we wait, there will be no 2012 or 2016.

MrScribbler on February 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM

I thought he did well. Substantive, sincere, and short.

The Principal Chair on February 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Ah, but who got the nomination?

Mr. McCain.

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Yeah, but that was all Allah’s fault.

MadisonConservative on February 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Ill take honest and real(Jindal) over lying and plastic(Obama). No matter what anyone says about his delivery, he still came across as approachable and has real potential to connect. What was missing here is his passion and tapping into the anger of the populace. I think he knew that no matter what he did or said he would be killed in the reviews after so he took the opportunity to be as non-menacing as he could. Republicans have a way of slapping you with one hand and making you feel like youve been complimented with the other. He did exactly that.

canditaylor68 on February 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Maybe I had an advantage. I didn’t listen to Obama’s speech. I used my Bill Clinton technique; TV off when Obama is on. So I liked Jindal’s speech. Biggest problem was the microphone cutting out. But otherwise not bad at all.

Dasher on February 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Wrong. Style over substance. That’s how Ogabe got elected. … TBH, at this point we might as well raise Hitler from the grave

Well, we’ll see how the “style” thing works after our first major terrorist attack under this administration. And hitler has risen… he’s in the White House.

ErinF on February 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Yep. It’s not just the message that has to be right, but the messenger has to be able to sell it…maybe Jindal will be that messenger or maybe he won’t, but whoever is the messenger will have to do a much better job than I saw tonight. Nobody, except the people who already knew the message and believed it were sold by this presentation.

AUINSC on February 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Oh yeah,, and he’s going to
- mandate college or community service for every American!
- expand and socialize our health care!
- appoint a new AG to harass, intimidate and investigate communities and mayors across the nation who do not spend money the way he wants them to!!
- increase spending on schools
- increase spending on green energy!
- tax the rich
- get rid of “old cold war weapons not being used (defined as??? our nuclear arsenal maybe???)
- end the war in Iraq
- what else,, oh,, and give losers new mortgages!!
– but most of all,,, make banks give us all new loans,,
Giving us all new loans,, that is his big fix for the economy!!!

JellyToast on February 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Bradky on February 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM

If the economy recovers, agreed, ’12 would seem to be a nonstarter. I’m not confident that O will turn it around, but we’ll see.

I think Jindal is better off down the road. I think Palin should have a 2nd term also. (I have no objections with respect to her experience running as VP, but P is different in my eyes).

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Look, Jindal’s response may have sounded like either Mr. Rogers, Steward Smally or Frank (Ferret Face) Burns, but judging by the votes Obama got on election night, Jindal needed to talk to an audience that believes in Hope and Change. Rather than sound like Montgomery “Monty” Burns.

Hope and Change, as it’s currently defined, looks more like Dope and Corrupt. Hows ’bout anyone else coming up with sompting mo bettah!

Kini on February 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM

He started off stiff, but got into it, and delivered a good address.

Vincenzo on February 24, 2009 at 11:39 PM

MadisonConservative on February 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM

True, true. (Should I put a / line here? I kid, I kid)

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Would have been fun if Fox had set up for Gov Palin to do a rebuttal.

heshtesh on February 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Geez guys, give him a break…talk about having the deck stacked against you…sheesh!

I thought he did fine, but he did seem a bit nervous. But I don’t remember a “response” speech that was worth a crap from either side, and at least it was a good introduction to a nationwide audience.

I’m a fan of Palin and her style, but even she would have been hurt by having to deliver a response speech in an empty room after a speech by The One to the full US Congress. Not quite the Baracropolis, but pretty close…if only they could find seats for Blinky and Plugs somewhere, anywhere but on camera…

ornery_independent on February 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM

True, true. (Should I put a / line here? I kid, I kid)

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Who’s being sarcastic?

/sarc

MadisonConservative on February 24, 2009 at 11:41 PM

This was painful to watch. Jindal sounded like he was doing a reading bit for Sesame Street.

“This rebuttal was brought to you by the Letter R”.

He’s got along way to go. Smart man. Terrible communicator.

portlandon on February 24, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Jindal did just fine .Obama talked for almost 1 hour and said nothing.So i guess you (ALLAPUNDIT) love a hours worth of nothing and slick talk. Your as bad as the pundits at Fox news the wizzards of smart.

thmcbb on February 24, 2009 at 11:41 PM

He’s got along way to go. Smart man. Terrible communicator.

portlandon on February 24, 2009 at 11:41 PM

He did get elected as Governor. That has to count for something. But I’m not sure how much.

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:42 PM

first 2 or 3 minutes were not very good. I agree with about everyone. He started doing ALOT better as he got into the speech. Plenty of time till 2012

ousoonerfan15 on February 24, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Agreed, he looked nervous and seemed like he was pandering. Clearly he didn’t want to make any mistakes because it was a big speech, but he came off looking amateurish at the start. The introduction also was pathetic-I blame whoever wrote the speech.

I’ve seen him speak much more effectively and he did improve a few minutes later-the material also got better. I have no horse in this race for 2012, if the GOP thinks Jindal can topple Obama, more power to him.

thinkagain on February 24, 2009 at 11:42 PM

…egads…the man’s only been soiling the office for just over a month now, and we’re already running people against him….

…let’s come to our senses here, people…slap yourselves awake….

…being loyal Americans, let’s instead spend three or so years thwarting him at every turn, calling him every name we can wrap our lips around, and accusing him ever calumny in the calendar….

…and then, sometime in late 2011, let’s see what the right has to offer in the way of confectionary….

…if it’s good for the lefties, it’s good enough for me….

…besides, it will spare us the heartache of casting an eye about and find that we might’ve wasted three years swooning over what will have proven to be the “last turkey in the shop”…the least bad possibility out of a field losers….

…ah…such is politics….

Puritan1648 on February 24, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Elisa on February 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Indeed. The smirk and cadence of the empty boy king. Never in history was there a cipher fuller of himself.

Entelechy on February 24, 2009 at 11:43 PM

My 2 yr old was entranced.

moxie_neanderthal on February 24, 2009 at 11:43 PM

I’m sorry everyone but I don’t believe all this complaining. I think he came across a lot more sincere than Osama Obama. If MSLSD hated this speech, then I know he did a good job. There is only one person though who I want to hear from and he will be on from 9 am to noon tomorrow. If he liked it, then Bobby hit a home run.

Ceroth on February 24, 2009 at 11:43 PM

It wasn’t even much of a rebuttal. He started the speech talking about how fantastic it was that obama is now president. You think bobby honestly meant that crap?

triple on February 24, 2009 at 11:43 PM

And if someone says “Oh God” off camera on PMSNBC, and no one is watching, is there a sound?

I sure am getting a kick out of Glenn Beck kicking Olby’s ass in the ratings game, esp considering the time slots.

ornery_independent on February 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM

I truly hope that Obama calms down. At this point this isn’t about the next election this is about the tremendous amount of real money that is coming out of our paychecks because Obama has sucessfully tricked the country into supporting this. This is seriously bad for the country. This is bad. Really really bad.

petunia on February 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM

ever in history was there a cipher fuller of himself.

Entelechy on February 24, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Now that was funny! It sums him up perfectly. Well done Entelechy!

+10

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM

thmcbb on February 24, 2009 at 11:41 PM

The American people love slick talk. No getting around it. They want a charismatic guy as their leader. Don’t blame people who points that out. Either make the average person value substance more, or vote to get American Idol taken off the air. It’s only worsening the problem.

MadisonConservative on February 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM

I like Sarah Palin and rooted for her to be selected as the running mate, but I believe she is a bit overexposed right now. I don’t want to see another interview about her kids or with her kids. Gretta needs to stay out of Alaska.

She needs to recede a bit and continue to govern Alaska with competence. Then in a year or two she can reemerge, full of newfound knowledge on national and international affairs and without McCain’s team weighing her down.

flyfisher on February 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Awful? Give me a break. It’s posts like this, AP, that call into question every bit of analysis you offer. It’s barely 2009. This speech will mean absolutely nothing to 2012. To suggest it will is ridiculous.
I am not willing to start throwing every conservative under the bus, in search of a Republican who speaks as well as Obama.
The tone of the speech was a little off, but it was not, by any stretch of the imagination, “awful”. The Eeyore shtick wears thin sometimes. This is one of them. We have plenty of things to be down about. Your crapping on one of youngest and brightest shouldn’t be one of them.

thebriand on February 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Uh, let’s give Palin a little credit here. I don’t think even the left disputes she can deliver a good speech. I remember right after her convention speech all the progressive blogsophere was buzzing about how the speech was written by a “Bushie.” They weren’t arguing her delivery reeked like we are now with Jindal.

terryannonline on February 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM

I think he looks like an evil Alfred Newman.
He sometimes gets this crossed eyed mean glare when his head isn’t lifted up high.

JellyToast on February 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM

…and gutted Louisiana of the corruption like a massive shot of chemo. And Louisiana ranked almost as bad as Chicago in the corrupt category.

Look at accomplishment, for cripes sake!

ErinF on February 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM

CarolynM on February 24,1! 2009 at 11:33 PM

I have to agree with you….he may not have been the best as far as speaking but he gave from the heart. And as I said before, I am surprised that the immigrants get it bette than most of us do!

antiquechick on February 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM

I only wish Jindal brought up his reasons why his State turned down the Porculus money.

Stringy Port no taste good

Kini on February 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM

It drives me wild every time he talks about his oh-so-fabulous ethics “reforms.” The truth is they are a total sham. We have less protection from corrupt pols than we did before he pushed them through. And he’s fought since Day One to keep his staff and himself free from scrutiny. Believe me, if he ever makes a Presidential run, you’ll all be hearing about that from the media – AFTER the nomination. I like Jindal, and I voted for him as Congressman and as governor, but he is NOT the star people are trying to make of him. I hope this awful performance finally gets that through people’s heads.

Laura on February 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Does Jindal actually speak like that or was that an act? I mean the accent

Defector01 on February 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Someone ought to clue Piyush in to the fact that the “volcano monitoring” he derided in his talk is what keeps Americans living in cities such as Seattle and Portland safe (not to mention sarah’s excuse for skipping cpac).

benny shakar on February 24, 2009 at 11:46 PM

I’m fine with Jindal’s presentation. Fox News can shove it. Get fitted for Obama knee pads. Obama tried to make me believe in federal government. He even tried to sell me on Joe Biden on the day I learn that his sons have close ties to Stanford. Biden is an idiot.

In contrast, Jindal sold me on Americans.

With regard to Obama, I’m reminded of a quotation I came across this weekend:

Niccolo Machiavelli, political philosopher and author (1469–1527): “The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.”

Obama: Wright, Ayers, Pfleger, Emmanuel, Gibbs, Axelrod.

Sorry, when the markets tank tomorrow even more, the magnifying glass will be squarely on Obama.

Is he going to blame Jindal?

BuckeyeSam on February 24, 2009 at 11:46 PM

triple on February 24, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Felt a bit like a focus group wrote it?

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:46 PM

We won’t win anything until we find the right messenger to deliver our message…this guy isn’t the one to do it, based on this performance. For a change, let’s be harder on ourselves than the media is…it was a bad performance and didn’t get our message across well at all. Get over it and let’s find the person who can do it or we are finished!

AUINSC on February 24, 2009 at 11:46 PM

nobody watches the rebuttal.

with that in mind, let’s hope the markets rebound… I’m betting the no confidence market vote continues.

Tea Party, anyone?

roscopico on February 24, 2009 at 11:46 PM

I’m originally from Louisiana and love Jindal.

And yes, he sucked. WTF is it with Republicans? Who thought it was a good idea to recreate the walking to the flags scene like a president’s address? And did ANYONE have him practice that thing in front of them? What… nobody realized he sounded like a pre-school teacher?

Only good news is that it will be forgotten… well, except by MSNBC.

Big night for Governor Sanford.

Sugar Land on February 24, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Defector, yes, that’s his accent. He’s usually not that stilted, he must have been pretty nervous. I wish he’d kept his hands still! That was more distracting than the “storytime at the library” sound of the speech, at least to me.

Laura on February 24, 2009 at 11:47 PM

That was a clip of him talking to a kindergarten class, right? So when does he do the adult version?

Daggett on February 24, 2009 at 11:47 PM

I also liked the “Not everyone here has agreed with me,,,, yet.” remark.
That was weird. I guess he figures he has to get that National Security Force in place,, then congress will all agree fairly easily.

JellyToast on February 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Indeed.

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM

If Jindal was just a congressman who wasn’t potentially going to run for President who would care who gave the rebuttal. But Jindal is touted by many (not just the MSM) as a potential 2012 contender. He had his chance in the sun. I’m not saying he blew it, but he didn’t hit it out of the ballpark either.

If you like thoughtful considered intelligence Jindal may be your man, but if you prefer stemwinder speeches that gets you out of your speech spitting bullets I’m sorry but Jindal is not your man.

technopeasant on February 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Kind of hard to follow the flaming car crash of Barry running to Congress in WEEK 4 of his floundering administration trying desperately to look like he has a clue what he’s doing. Poor guy couldn’t even make it to Mardi Gras on his own.

Christien on February 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM

…it really was a pathetic speech. 1/2 of it had no business being in a response piece. that first 1/2 was a horrible high school student government campaign speech.
ernesto on February 24, 2009 at 11:25 PM

More importantly, when the FIRST half of the speech sucks that much, how many people are going to bother listening to the rest?

And as for the “good” part of the speech, I honestly tried to focus as hard as I could, but I never heard it. We have – by far – the most leftist President in American history, who just pushed throught the biggest (in terms of gross dollars) single Socialization program in the history of planet Earth and this is the Republican Party’s “response” to that?

This country is so screwed.

logis on February 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM

They weren’t arguing her delivery reeked like we are now with Jindal.

terryannonline on February 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM

She did have a friendly audience which always helps and her purpose like any VP pick is to toss out chunks of red meat and zingers. Rebuttal is for a different purpose without the home team as support.

Bradky on February 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM

benny shakar on February 24, 2009 at 11:46 PM

I agree that he could have chosen a better example (or even better, have singled out Harry Reid regarding the high speed train to Vegas and then explained it’s silly and won’t be built for years).

However, Jindal’s fundamental point still stands. Volcano monitoring doesn’t sound like stimulative spending to me.

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Jindal looked and sounded like Kenneth the Page.

SnarkVader on February 24, 2009 at 11:49 PM

ErinF on February 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM

From who? Bush crippled AQ. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ogabe dodges one completely.

Darth Executor on February 24, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Jindal looked and sounded like Kenneth the Page.

SnarkVader on February 24, 2009 at 11:49 PM

That was mean. But funny!

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Does Jindal actually speak like that or was that an act? I mean the accent

Yes, he talks like that. I’ve seen him do talk show interviews. The accent is genuine, he talks with his hands, and he’s genuinely optimistic in nature.

ErinF on February 24, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Mitt Romney he aint

The Wall on February 24, 2009 at 11:51 PM

ErinF on February 24, 2009 at 11:50 PM

He was moving his hands? I couldn’t see it due to CNN’s obnoxious crawl at the bottom of the screen which was summarizing the speech while it was begin given.

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:51 PM

20 bucks says SNL will bag on Jindal this weekend while giving Obama the gloss over.

The Ugly American on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Would you guys stop with the doom and gloom? So he didn’t hit this one out of the park… So what? The guy is 37 years old and he has already accomplished more than Obama.

He is also obviously light ages smarter than Sarah Palin.

Cut em a break.

Borislav on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM

btw…OT I know, but I’m off. Giving up something I love for Lent, and it’s Hot Air.

See y’all in 40 days!

It ain’t gonna be easy…I’m actually gonna miss y’all.

JetBoy on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Maybe AP will give up claiming “beta male” status.

We’ll miss you too. Be well and be back,

Entelechy on February 24, 2009 at 11:52 PM