Video: Jindal’s “awful” rebuttal

posted at 11:08 pm on February 24, 2009 by Allahpundit

“Awful” is Ace’s word but I’m in no mood to disagree. And neither are most HA commenters, judging from this mammoth thread. This was his star turn and he came off wooden, especially at the beginning. Oh well. His loss is the rest of the GOP governors’ gain.

RCP has the clip of an unknown MSNBC staffer groaning “Oh God” as Jindal walks out. Some say it’s Olbermann, but I’m skeptical. Consensus?

Update: Patterico’s sure the “Oh God” comes from Olbermann, Goldfarb’s sure it comes from Matthews. Does it matter?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 8

He did fine. Yeesh.

KSgop on February 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Phpt.

Name me one person whose vote has ever been persuaded by the rebuttal.

yo on February 24, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Not great, not spectacular. On it’s own, I would say it was pretty good (mostly at the end). But after listening to Obama orate for an hour, Jindal needed more punch.

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Republicannibals are out in force tonight.

TBinSTL on February 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM

He was never going to kill on this considering…

Dritanian on February 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM

By the 2012 comes around, our country will be in such ruin and debt it won’t matter.

blue13326 on February 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM

‘Kays… This is why we like Sarah more. Girlfriend can speak.

Illinidiva on February 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM

I’ve never bothered to listen to him before and I liked him. Seriously, it wasn’t that bad. I tuned out of Obama’s speech long before the grand finale whatever it was… I tuned back for Jindahl. He seems like a stand up guy– a true American with the kind of awe I feel for this country and it’s opportunities!

petunia on February 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM

My money’s on Olbermann. It sure sounds like him.

Pablo on February 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Efff…I could only make it through a few minutes. He does seem stiff, and the speech comes off as if he’s reading straight off the card. He’s usually so much more natural.

MadisonConservative on February 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM

I notice the MSNBC website skipped it too.

JetBoy on February 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM

It’s probably Olberman the narcissistic, pretentious, pseudo intellectual swine.

RadioFreeUSA on February 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM

God i felt physical pain watching this

Equanim1ty found on February 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Sounded to me like it was Olbermann saying “My God” followed by some laughter from the crew.

Jindal was ok. Not as terrible as some suggest.

BrianBoru on February 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Phpt.

Name me one person whose vote has ever been persuaded by the rebuttal.

yo on February 24, 2009 at 11:10 PM

There’s no question on that. The issue is Bobby Jindal’s national debut. And it didn’t make a great impression (if it made an impression at all).

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:13 PM

i turned off when he did that creepy smile at the beginning waited 20 seconds tuned back in and it still wasnt ny better, why BOBBY WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Equanim1ty found on February 24, 2009 at 11:13 PM

It was definitely Olbermann. Jerk.

Kensington on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

A good rebuttal would only have been wasted right now. We need to let BO soak in a while. Then we will need a good rebuttal. It’s all in the timing.

bloggless on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Pretty weak. Whoever wrote that speech ought to be dropped off in the Bayou without a ride home. Who was running the mic, James Carville? He has a lot of work to do. I saw him during one of the hurricaines and off the cuff he was great. Here, he was not.

flyoverland on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Is every Republican speech for the next four years going to start with the “Every American is so proud that we have a black president” shtick?

Mark1971 on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Sigh. He reminds me of former Speaker Jim Wright. Not good. I still like him, but on a national stage he’s unelectable with that speaking style. That said, maybe Obama will be such an epic failure that the American people will be sick of slick and eager for someone real.

flyfisher on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Seriously, how long are we going to have to listen to Obama run down this country. After awhile people will get tired of it. Hopefully. I didn’t see much hopefullness in Obama’s tone. He is just a downer everytime he talks.

petunia on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

It was probably Matthews “finishing up” after Obama’s speech.

SouthernGent on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Oh please. People need to quit overreacting.

therightwinger on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Republicannibals are out in force tonight.

TBinSTL on February 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM

We wanted juicy, bloody red meat in this speech, but got veggies.

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

It was probably nerves, but he did sound like his inflections were thrown completely off by the fact that he had to read it off a teleprompter. Oh well, no biggie, he has time to hone his skill.

Spiritk9 on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

He sounded somewhat hokey, like he was trying to be that “stiff old southern white guy” that the GOP is stereotyped as. I thought he did fine as the speech went on, he wasn’t ‘outstanding’ but I can’t tell if it was his speech or nerves or what that he didn’t knock it out like he could.

Defector01 on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

btw…OT I know, but I’m off. Giving up something I love for Lent, and it’s Hot Air.

See y’all in 40 days!

It ain’t gonna be easy…I’m actually gonna miss y’all.

JetBoy on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Jindal was painful to watch. Palin would have nailed it. And yeah, that was Olbermann.

Babino on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Thanks for the video. This is the greatest speech ever. EVER.

/cult of Jindal

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

It was a Blue Scrotum that said it.

bloggless on February 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

chill on jindal. this was a big darn deal of a speech, and he did just fine. the messaging was on, he was just nervous.

seaplanes on February 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

blue13326

By 2012 we’ll be back to using radio, as television will have gotten too expensive in the post-Obamalypse.

Crusty on February 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

2012 is a loooong time away. 2016 is even longer.

Abby Adams on February 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

I think the “Oh God” came from Obama. Isn’t MSNBC located in the White House now?

MadisonConservative on February 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

If all the US were an 8 year old that needed a bed-time story, then I think he did just fine.

ElRonaldo on February 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

It was probably Matthews “finishing up” after Obama’s speech.

SouthernGent on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

I hold you responsible for any future emotional trauma resulting from that image. Yuck.

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

He sounds like that nerdy page guy from 30 Rock telling a bedtime story to a 4 year old.

Dave Rywall on February 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

This is the first time I’ve heard anyone from Louisiana thank the American people for their help during and after Katrina. Long overdue and a nice touch.

Delivery was off, but content was good, and he warmed up and got his cadence after a faulty beginning.

Wait til we get deeper into ’12 and people start realizing he is far, far smarter than the Messiah, and has the accomplishments to show it.

mngirl on February 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

JetBoy on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

I won’t criticize McCain for 40 days here just for you :)

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

He was nervous at first but settled down and hit his stride. He did fine and will get better.

Ted Torgerson on February 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Matthews.

aquaviva on February 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM

How many people actually watch the rebuttal? Or even the actual speech that comes before it?

Perhaps the practice and name recognition will last longer than any negatives from his poor delivery. And at least it was good on substance.

Kronos on February 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Uh, well the speech got better as time went on…….

I don’t know what else to say.

terryannonline on February 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM

He did good at the end. Talked about winning back the public trust. Good message about the fundamental differences between R plan and D plan for recovery. Small govt. versus President Govt.

He is handicapped by the setting right out of the gate. Not “awful”. Not fabulous.

JAM on February 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Bobby didn’t have the big finish that Obama did.

BHO made Nancy Peolosi levitate and made Harry Reid spit out an entire deck of cards one at a time while singing the Star Spangled Banner.

It was fab…

RadioFreeUSA on February 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Jindal did fine. Better than Barry’s hideous bloviating by a country mile.

Christien on February 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Defector01 on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

I say the speech. It dictated the style.

darii on February 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM

You people put way too much stock in the Obama like soaring rhetoric. The type of voter that persuades isn’t going to vote for a Republican anyway.

He articulated the principle of individual excellence in a way no Republican has for 10 years.

bj1126 on February 24, 2009 at 11:16 PM

So gooberman has a man crush on Jindal now?

christene on February 24, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Folks, there’s a lot more media out there that show Bobby for who he is. This is not 1975. There are more than three networks. This is one speech.

Don’t count him out yet.

spmat on February 24, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Pelosi looked like a giant, green piece of phlegm.

bloggless on February 24, 2009 at 11:17 PM

OK, but was my TV the only one that had broken audio throughout the Governor’s speech? I don’t know if it was a Comcast issue or something with his mike but this is about the second or third time I have witnessed this happen during the last eight months when a Republican was making an important speech. A conspiracy perhaps?

DL13 on February 24, 2009 at 11:17 PM

As they said on Fox News afterwords, the guy who does the rebuttal speech is at a considerable disadvantage. And for a young man to speak with only a group of MSNBC staffers with as little class as whomever said “Oh God,” it’s a big leap to get out of the gate. No, it wasn’t Jindal’s finest hour. Welcome to the human race, everybody. But a lot of people saw Jindal on Meet The Press, where he totally ruled, and 2012 is still three years away.

manwithblackhat on February 24, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Anyone catch Ben Nelson defending earmarks based on fairness to the smaller states to Hannity?

yo on February 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM

One thing for sure, Bobby Jindal is no Sarah Palin in terms of public speaking.

Not ready for prime time. Give him time though, he could be much better in 2020. Still young.

Norwegian on February 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I think the “Oh God” was Matthews.

CP on February 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I saw his entire speech and I didn’t think it was bad. Our Jerry Springer/rock star culture expects everyone to be all flashy and gaudy. I prefer substance and I believe that Jindal has substance. The rock star will bury us in debt, looking really “cool” while he does it. I prefer not so cool with safety and security.

UnEasyRider on February 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Next time, pelosi should floss her teeth before coming out. She looked as if she was sucking food particles.

bloggless on February 24, 2009 at 11:19 PM

JetBoy on February 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Cheers JetBoy. See you on the flip. :)

spmat on February 24, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I think he did okay. Give him time he will improve. Gees folks Obama has been campaigning for years and still is. Look at all the mistakes he still makes and lets not even start with Biden. Good luck Jindal-You did alright.

canditaylor68 on February 24, 2009 at 11:19 PM

“Mr. Jindall’s neighborhood”

HA HA HA HA HA

Dave Rywall on February 24, 2009 at 11:19 PM

It’s okay, y’all. The delivery was horrible but no one will remember it. Does anyone remember who rebutted 4 years ago?

SouthernGent on February 24, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Why should it matter. They’re both arse—–.

Travis1 on February 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Ugh. Palin it is. And I’m not a diehard Palin fan. I was rooting for Jindal, but I don’t think conservatism could survive with a guy like that on the stump. He got better as he went on, but his presentation in the beginning was honestly pathetic. It was like watching a parody of Mr. Rodgers.

Trent1289 on February 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM

What I took from this is that he is………real. More than I can say for our “leader”. What I find so interesting is that the real “immigrants” to this country are much more interested in the state of our country than some who have been born here! They actually get what we have here and how special this country is……..

antiquechick on February 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM

first 2 or 3 minutes were not very good. I agree with about everyone. He started doing ALOT better as he got into the speech. Plenty of time till 2012

ousoonerfan15 on February 24, 2009 at 11:21 PM

S’long Bobby. Thanks fer playin’

ronsfi on February 24, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Olby. Fits the pattern.

Jim Treacher on February 24, 2009 at 11:21 PM

It was Chris Matthews. Not just the sound of the voice but he says it fairly often with that exact tone.

econavenger on February 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Riiiight. Even Fred sans coffee had better speeches then this last year.

Spirit of 1776 on February 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM

As for Jindal’s response (The Republican’s view) I have to give that this vote:

FAIL FAIL FAIL

Jesus. I mean, really. There was such an opportunity here.

The Republicans are absolutely f%#king tone-deaf. This is the party that has preached LAW AND ORDER when it comes to drugs, when it comes to property crime, when it comes to all sorts of things for which we lock up people.

EXCEPT when homeowners lied about their incomes, banking executives lied to buyers of so-called “AAA” securities about the diligence they did on the loans inside them, brokers doctored paperwork, appraisers were bribed to inflate values and every industry involved connived to wrap things in gold-colored foil and claim that was was inside was solid 24kt gold itself when what they were really selling was dogcrap!

IF the Republican party is ever to regain power they must actually stand for the people. The vast majority of Americans did not cheat. We did not lie about our incomes, we did not take out dangerous mortgages, were did not participate in selling garbage loans to Americans by deceiving them so we could skim off thousands in fees and we did not participate in this garbage.

We, however, are the ones who are getting hosed – we’re being asked to pay higher taxes, either directly (ourselves) or indirectly (as when “the rich” are taxed more they will not hire as many people – that would be those of us who need jobs!)

The Banksters are getting bailed out, the irresponsible or even outright cheaters are going to be able to refinance their mortgages (despite what Obama said tonight, Sheila Bair said otherwise – there will be no verification that fraud was not involved in the mortgages they refinance) and not one prosecution is being planned for those who screwed us.

KentAllard on February 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Jindal is a strong #2

Palin Rocks!

Firebird on February 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM

ousoonerfan15 on February 24, 2009 at 11:21 PM

That’s right.

Elisa on February 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM

It was Matthews, smoking a cigarette after his orgasm from the Boy Kings speech.

Knucklehead on February 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM

econavenger on February 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM

That’s what I think as well. I’ve heard that many times.

flyfisher on February 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Granted, this sucked not because Jindal is a crappy politician or something…it was just a terribly written speech delivered in a day care center cadence. All that stuff about his family? That “lemme tell you a story?” Eishhh.

Now, Sarah Palin delivering that speech wouldve sucked too…it really was a pathetic speech. 1/2 of it had no business being in a response piece. that first 1/2 was a horrible high school student government campaign speech.

fire speechwriter. give jindal another shot.

ernesto on February 24, 2009 at 11:25 PM

I like Bobby just fine. But I was disappointed tonight. I don’t want to destroy him with any comments on his speech. I just need for him to get better at that part.

myrenovations on February 24, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Sheesh. He did just fine.

As my mom said, Republicans are the only people that eat their own.

Gina on February 24, 2009 at 11:25 PM

KentAllard on February 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM

I posted that same comment in the other thread. Everyone should know that Denninger slammed Obama just as hard, if not harder.

flyfisher on February 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

We get it, other commenters–you like Palin, I don’t see why you have to bash a conservative like Jindal. You’re certainly not making any friends among your fellow conservative Republicans that may be looking at other options to lead the party alongside Palin. Sure, the delivery was poor at the beginning, but at least Jindal said something substantive. The delivery was pretty yuck, but I think (and the American people are currently learning this) that it’s better to have someone with ideas than someone with good oratory skills in charge.

malan89 on February 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Loved Jindal’s message, hated the delivery

Palin’s got both the message and the delivery

If things don’t change drastically in the next year or two, Palin’s our best chance to take this country back

husker3000 on February 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Jindal was great on Meet the Press. He has more appearances this week. At least he loves America and has faith in her people. The speech content was good. It’s not the end of the world yet.

BetseyRoss on February 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Content: A+
Delivery: C-
Don’t worry–he can take public speaking lessons.

jgapinoy on February 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

I like what I have seen of Jindel’s politics but, he does need to get better at speaking.

boomer on February 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM

…he’s better speaking off the cuff.

jgapinoy on February 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Dave Rywall on February 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

How did it end? Did you go right to sleep afterward?

Cheshire Cat on February 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Jindal did okay. If you think back to the last few responses from the Dems to the SOTU they’ve been flat as well.

I think the problem is talking into a camera in an otherwise empty room. For the SOTU response next year the GOP should mix it up and have it at a rally. The problem is that the President is speaking in the Capitol in a room full of people. The response is in a quiet room with a TV camera. Switch it up – match the energy of the situation. Pick a GOP stronghold or a GOP friendly group in a swing state and get a hall full of people. Let’s be honest, it’s a campaign speech.

JDScott on February 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM

As my mom said, Republicans are the only people that eat their own.

Gina on February 24, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Yup.

husker3000 on February 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Palin was good with the base (people like us), but did she appeal to the general public?

malan89 on February 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Maybe we need someone like him to give the rebuttal, listen fully please.

FontanaConservative on February 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM

It was a bad speech from a good man.
With Obama, a good speech from a bad president.

carbon_footprint on February 24, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Palin would have nailed it.

Yeah, probably. But if only we can get her to hit it out of the ballpark in network interviews!

I guess Palin and Jindal are young so they time to improve (or not).

/frustration

terryannonline on February 24, 2009 at 11:28 PM

ernesto on February 24, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Disagree. The speech itself was good. It read very well. Jindal just couldn’t handle the delivery.

Let Jindal serve a full second term and he might be ready in 2016 or 2020.

Norwegian on February 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Wow, it almost seems like 0 is the chosen one by the powers that be and GOP is actually trying to lose this thing.

BTW, did Jindal say his mom was 44.5 months pregnant. I listened several times and it sounded that way to me?!?

PrincipledPilgrim on February 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM

‘Oh God’ was definitely delivered by Olby.

Jindal’s speech delivery needs work before he is ready for prime time…a lot of work. The One delivered a very bad message competently. Jindal delivered a very good message in a very stilted and uncomfortable way. Factoring in the x10 style over substance factor which dominates politics and the media x10 bias against anything remotely conservative…Obama wins big on a draw.

AUINSC on February 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Knucklehead on February 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM

It wasn’t a cigarette he had in his mouth.

Darth Executor on February 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM

…he’s better speaking off the cuff.

jgapinoy on February 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Yes, yes, yes. He’d be great in a debate with the One. Jindal’s strength is his intelligence and knowledge of the issues. The Messiah’s strength is reading his staff’s speeches.

malan89 on February 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM

If speech delivery is the only qualifier we should all bow to barack and call him master.
Those who heard the Nixon-Kennedy debate on the radio called it a win for Nixon. those who watched on television called it a win for Kennedy.
I’ll read the transcripts and look for substance.

Bradky on February 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM

It was like watching a parody of Mr. Rodgers.

Trent1289 on February 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM

I’m sorry, just about everything I have read about Jindal I like, so I’m not bashing the man’s beliefs

But listening to him speak, I swear Mr Rodgers flashed through my mind as well