Video: Jindal’s “awful” rebuttal

posted at 11:08 pm on February 24, 2009 by Allahpundit

“Awful” is Ace’s word but I’m in no mood to disagree. And neither are most HA commenters, judging from this mammoth thread. This was his star turn and he came off wooden, especially at the beginning. Oh well. His loss is the rest of the GOP governors’ gain.

RCP has the clip of an unknown MSNBC staffer groaning “Oh God” as Jindal walks out. Some say it’s Olbermann, but I’m skeptical. Consensus?

Update: Patterico’s sure the “Oh God” comes from Olbermann, Goldfarb’s sure it comes from Matthews. Does it matter?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

Just let’s not beat our guys up over style.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Fair enough.

Otis B on February 25, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Doctor Zero on February 25, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Completely agree. The 4 points are great.

I notice there wasn’t a number 5. Listen to everything SFdude says.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2009 at 2:04 PM

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM

AHHAHA…you are such a political neophyte. Let me guess, a 20 something poindexter who uses nerd internet lingo like “Epic Fail”. No…no one was forcing bad loans, there were no cries of racism and threats of extortion by groups such as ACORN. I mean if there were, your media would have covered such a scandal…oops…guess not.

Look, I know you are young and new to politics but try climbing out of the lowest tax bracket and getting your education from somewhere besides the Daily Show and Digg.

ClassicCon on February 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Laura,

That article is a classic example of telling half-truths about Mike Huckabee. As I said, go to hucksarmy.com, click on discussions, go to Mike Huckabee and issues to get the other side of what really happened in Arkansas.

If you believe everybody who complains about Mike Huckabee’s record in Arkansas, then you must believe all the people on this website from Alaska who tell stories about how poorly Sarah Palin is as Governor. There will always be people in our states who don’t like the candidate we like..that’s normal. Sarah Palin as much as I like her doesn’t have to deal with the Democratic legislature who were in control of Arkansas during Mike Huckabee’s tenure as Governor. Sarah Palin governs a very Republican state, while Mike Huckabee governed a very Democratic state. Arkansas may usually vote for Republicans during the Presidential elections, but is a very Democratic state for state elections. Democrats, like Bill Clinton, didn’t care about the horrible road in Arkansas, he only cared about his record so he could run for President. Mike Huckabee cared about improving the schools (which were ranked 49th in the country) and the roads before he left office. That takes money, and the Democrats left him with a $200 M deficit when he took over as Governor. He left his tenure as Governor with a $850 M surplus when he left office.

VFT on February 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Go right ahead and fisk it, VFT. If you can. That’s not just an opinion piece, it’s chock full of links documenting his whole sorry career. But I’m just another “Shi’ite Republican” so I can be safely ignored.

By the way, you can list all the support the Huckster has received if you like but it’s hardly an endorsement. Look at how many people voted for Obama! And it’s a LOT of the same people. RINOs just like the Huckster, and people who call themselves social conservatives yet incorporate a socialist bent in their theology, who conned themselves into believing Obama was pragmatic and fairly conservative because that’s what he told them to think.

Laura on February 25, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Apparently the fact that so many people think Jindal did a terrible job last night is more evidence that I’m disconnected. I didn’t watch 0bama, since he’s a liar, a moron and an outright Marxist, but when I got home from work and turned on the TV, Jindal was in the midst of his rebuttal. I thought it was refreshing. He spoke rationally, with good principles and articulated what is so damaging and foolish about the administration and Congress’ plans. Then all the commentators started ripping him to shreds, leaving me pretty confused. When will they learn that style should never trump substance?

Sign of the Dollar on February 25, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I liked Jindal’s response just fine. I’m not exactly sure what it is some on are side are so unhappy about. You’d think we’d rally around anyone standing up for conservative principles.

It’s not like Jindal is campaigning for president. Good grief.

Can we just concentrate on building our party instead of tearing them down one by one?

Deeanne on February 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Sign of the Dollar on February 25, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I find that very puzzling, since I have it on good authority that the media is hopelessly biased towards Republicans. Maybe it’s because the media knows the public has lost faith in them, so they figure they can best express their bias in favor of Jindal by ripping him to pieces, knowing this will lead the public to like him more.

I imagine the media will begin to embrace style over substance shortly after the electorate does.

Doctor Zero on February 25, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I expected him to make a killer rebuttal and he came out flat. It was his turn in the national spotlight and he blew it. I made it through 5-6 minutes of it, and couldn’t bring myself to watch anymore. I purposely missed all of Hussein and most of Jindal, so I watched reruns of Two and a Half Men instead. It was more entertaining…

How about someone growing a pair and hammering the muslim messiah every time he stands there telling everyone he passed the largest stimulus bill in history “with no earmarks”?

stacman on February 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Hey just needs more practice with a teleprompter and to hone the ability to slip into “street patois” at intervals to endear him to the stupid and the media.
Watching Barack perform is evidence. He tells them to jump off the financial cliff and they start gaily.

Maura O on February 25, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Ann NY, what’s stupid is ignoring the actual cause of the housing bubble, namely Wall Street’s binge on easy credit when Alan “Irrational Exuberance” Greenspan ignored his own previous advice and lowered the Fed’s interest rates after 2002. No one was forcing banks to make crappy loans in their zeal to collect fees while selling the resulting toxic waste to other suckers.

starfleet_dude on February 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Because you are focusing on one cause and ignoring another, mainly a law that once enforced made it hard for banks to turn down people who shouldn’t have gotten loans (CRA). Yes, I agree that Greenspan lower interest rates in 2000 to inflate our way out of the dot com bust was a bad move and more proof that when the government gets involved in the market, they invariably screw it up. Then you have financial people who don’t have as much of an understanding of economics gaming the system and that’s how you get where we are. Fanny and Freddie cooking their books was also a huge component in this farce (the heads of those organizations were who)? But the banks were forced to make those loans, as cases such as this one illustrates: Buycks-Roberson v. Citibank Fed. Sav. Bank Fair Housing/Lending/Insurance. Google it, you’ll learn something.

How is magically creating trillions of dollars of fiat money going to solve this mess?

Ann NY on February 25, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I wish someone would explain what was so “awful” about that.

Oh, wait. I guess I didn’t get the sunglasses.

Jaynie59 on February 25, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Content, A-. Delivery, C-. He needs work on style, but he says good stuff. Jindal has so much more substance than Obama that a debate between them would probably be amusing. But that’s a fair piece down the road…

philwynk on February 25, 2009 at 7:05 PM

*headscratches*

It wasn’t that bad. He could improve his oratorical skills yes, but you know, it could’ve been worse.

His real problem is if he comes off sounding like a religious nutcase if he tries to run for President.

R. Waher on February 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Someone has to show Dear Leader as a phony like those ‘gods’ in the old Star Trek series. If that is too long ago, laugh and compare him to Milli Vanilli. How about his vitae disclosures, program descriptions and ‘new politician’ claims are as fake as a bogus profile on my space? Ok, Ok, how about his financial plans and budgets are as bogus as a Bernard Madoff ponzi scheme?

Wait….that last one was goooooodd.

IlikedAUH2O on February 26, 2009 at 5:27 AM

Awful? I don’t get it. This is a long way from awful. Now Sarah Palin with Couric, Gibson, etc…now that was awful – and I consider myself a Palin supporter! I watched this video and I really liked what I heard. I found Jindal to be very articulate and knowledgeable. He struck a very good balance between loyalty to the president and principled opposition. I really liked the way he weaved his personal story into this speech. I think he also did a great job laying out conservative fiscal principles. Awful? No way. Maybe not excellent, but it was pretty damn good.

frank58 on February 26, 2009 at 7:15 AM

This is just what we need right now. The blogs starting a conservative vs conservative war over somebody’s style.

I mean, since we are doing so well with the country, a little sparring on the side is a luxury we can well afford. Why not toss some more gasoline on the fire?

DaMav on February 26, 2009 at 7:47 AM

One thing’s for sure, Jindal’s got his Algore impersonation down pat.

Onus on February 26, 2009 at 10:35 AM