Video: Fox News host rips ACORN chief over reclaiming foreclosed homes

posted at 3:20 pm on February 23, 2009 by Allahpundit

Move over, Santelli, there’s a new ostentatiously outraged sheriff in town. Between this and the CNBC “rant heard ’round the world,” expect every financial reporter on cable to start throwing their own atomic fits in hopes of media stardom and, just maybe, a book deal or two. What finer way could there be to start the day than watching a red-faced Erin Burnett pound the desk on “Morning Joe” while hollering about creeping socialism?

You’ll recognize Bertha Lewis, I trust, from her creepy “by any means necessary” post this weekend at HuffPo. Exit question: How much more explosive would this interview have been if Varney had been armed with the boss’s deep background info?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

So let’s not lump this guy with the typical cable newsie with a chip on his/her shoulders.

Vincenzo on February 23, 2009 at 4:03 PM

OH yeah!

Been watching him for years and there’s never been a single time he hasn’t spoken out if he disagreed with the conversation going on. In fact, he’s the master of the grievous head shake if an especially galling viewpoint is being voiced by a participant.

tree hugging sister on February 23, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Maura O on February 23, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Exactly! Ive rented for over 20 yrs because I had the sense to know that as a single mother of 2 with an income of $1,000 a month, that I couldnt afford a house.

There’s a good site on this. Angryrenters.com

becki51758 on February 23, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I like this guy, now that he’s all warmed up, lets get Franks on with him.

Civil “rights” activists have been rewarded for their convolutions of the the facts and loud overtalking.

When the rewards stop, the obnoxious, convoluted lies will stop.

Speakup on February 23, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Let me say something positive about renting. Last summer the AC went out, called the leasing office, and told them my number and said, “Your air conditioner ain’t working.”

Pelayo on February 23, 2009 at 5:15 PM

More please.

notagool on February 23, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Karl Marx, huh? All this from a guy who never had a job a day in his life…

He also had a maidservant who never got paid. You think all this “workers unite” shit was his guilty conscience mumbling about what he knew he had coming to him personally?

Fortunata on February 23, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Upinak, I am bilingual…yo hablo espanol. Can I help?

ProudPalinFan on February 23, 2009 at 4:34 PM
Naaa, I just tell them to speak Alaskan.. it confuses them.

God Bless you; you are really a pleasure to read!

ProudPalinFan on February 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Heard the interview with Sean and Rick Santinelli; kept me wanting more, and for Sean to let him speak…Allah/Ed if you got a clip of the audio for a new thread pls. post it. Thanks!

ProudPalinFan on February 23, 2009 at 5:27 PM

“You OWE me, Man!”

So what else is new under the sun?

Millions in the U.S. see jobs as an inconvenience to pay what they should have merely because they exist, rather than opportunities and a source of pride.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 23, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Dr. Zhivblago, Dude, did you type pride. Haven’t you heard. Pride is out, victimhood and entitlement is in. If you are proud, you are selfish, mean, anti-American, and a bunch of other descriptive words. If you are a victim, entitled to the rewards that others have accumulated, then you are an American. That’s the new version of American History being taught in this society. Pride and opportunity, hah, you sound like those silly framers of that Constitution thing.

rayvet on February 23, 2009 at 6:21 PM

So, let me get this straight. I work my fanny off to make ends meet and pay my bills on time so my senators and congressman can ignore my phone calls and e-mails and vote for this stimulus monstrosity. Then, they can take my money and give it to people who have absolutely no work ethic or desire to take responsibility for their own bad decisions? Yeah that sounds like it’s gonna work. /sarc

Gulfcoastconservative on February 23, 2009 at 6:50 PM

rayvet on February 23, 2009 at 4:15 PM

My thinking exactly. To me, the term predatory lending has always been incorrectly applied here. Predatory borrowing sounds much more accurate.
But prepare yourself for worse. Did you catch Bertha’s comment at the 3:15 mark?

“I wish we could force banks to our will.”

This makes me nauseous. I’m going to see if Jackie and Dunlap have a new video up on YouTube. I could use a mindless chuckle.

Oh crap, that commercial about the “million bucks a day” is on Fox right now – including the “chattering class” Schmuck.

I think instead of checking out J & D, I’ll go clean a gun.

gopmom on February 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Thugs….

d1carter on February 23, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Her definition of “paying their bills” and mine differ.

“Millions being foreclosed on everyday” – what?

“We are demanding the banks renegotiate these loans”
Me too. I want a 1% simple interest loan payable over 50 years. And everyone who has lost their house in the last 2 years gets it back. How about that?

woodman on February 23, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Make a loan.
Borrower doesn’t pay.
Take asset back.
Sell asset for 60% of value.
Write off 40%
Repeat.
Eventually, those morons making the loans will go bankrupt or will renegotiate with those owners that can pay but are having trouble. The real estate is real, ain’t goin’ nowhere. Bargain for someone who wants to buy, but won’t pay inflated prices.
Sales go up.
Value goes up.
Tax revenue goes up.
Duh.

TinMan13 on February 23, 2009 at 7:53 PM

TV Commercial in Florida today:

If you are on food stamps and/or welfare you can now get… free cell phones! That’s right, folks.. FREE CELL PHONES including the handset and never have to pay monthly fees. Courtesy of the benevolent gubmint.

And the AA woman on TV says, “Now I can cawl mah fambliy any time I wants to”.

This is stupifying. I’m going to go get me some food stamps@! Argh!

You’re right. Amazing. I looked it up. It’s available in lots of states.

As soon as our contract is up, I’m getting out of my cell phone plan. Largely because we can’t afford any extras.

Really, why work?

Alana on February 23, 2009 at 8:06 PM

How about a Federal Government Regulation that under the penalty of fines and other regulations, forced the banks to make the loans in the first place…………….

………… all under Liberal Democrat Social Engineering “pie in the sky” school yard political policies to ensure Democrat voters?

Seven Percent Solution on February 23, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Allah, why are you so down on these people who are doing the job the rest of the media won’t? You whined “enough already” (or something along those lines) about Santelli yesterday, and now you’re acting like they’re all just doing it for attention (when I assure you, Varney is not). You should be glad that at least someone with a soapbox is speaking out, while we watch this country fall apart.

RightWinged on February 23, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Its always the same. You sign a contract that spells out exactly what you must do. Then, things don’t go your way and you go on a crying jag, saying “Its not fair!!!”. This sounds exactly like a three-year old who whines because mommy won’t buy him some candy. He throws a fit, hoping to embarrass her into bending to his will and forking over what he wants, despite the rules. I swear, I think these people’s intelligence has been stunted along the way somewhere. I guess maybe if no one ever tells you, “No, you can’t have the candy”, you never learn to be an adult.

gordo on February 23, 2009 at 10:50 PM

The Chinese Cultural Revolution:

It was launched by Mao Zedong, the chairman of the Communist Party of China, on May 16, 1966, who alleged that liberal bourgeoisie elements were dominating the party and insisted that they needed to be removed through post-revolutionary class struggle by mobilizing the thoughts and actions of China’s youth, who formed Red Guards groups around the country.

It’s clear to me – that just as Mao used Chinese youths as the spearhead for his “cultural revolution” … Obama is using ACORN as his “cultural revolution” shock troops – even to the point of fearlessly funding them in the porkulus to the tune of billions.

HondaV65 on February 23, 2009 at 10:56 PM

LOL … “They PAY their bills, but yes they are delinquent on their mortgages”…I think we’ve officially gone through the looking glass. I’m hoping this is a bad dream and that I’ll wake up soon.

ddrintn on February 23, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Note that the Fox anchor that questions Stu says that people will be “forced out onto the street” if they lose their home. No, they will have to become renters.

The libs do this to continue making the drones think foreclosure = homeless, when it simply isn’t true. It means very low vacancy rates for landlords . . . oh wait, in libworld landlords are evil pond scum becuase they make money . . .

PastorJon on February 24, 2009 at 12:02 AM

“They PAY their bills”,
ddrintn on February 23, 2009 at 11:46 PM

I doubt it.

Johan Klaus on February 24, 2009 at 12:02 AM

You know what, AP, I WANT them to throw their fits. I want every financial reporter to be outraged over this. I want this to be heard by everyone and have it be on all major news networks. This is the only way to get some people to wake the F up!

This whole bailout is such tripe. TRIPE! I cannot believe the crap I’m hearing from people like this ACORN lady. They do NOT have the right to come in and “squat” to prevent the homeowners from being thrown out. Those homeowners are NOT paying their bills.

She can try to shift blame on to the banks all she wants, she can trot out sob story after sob story all she wants, the fact of the matter remains: These people are not paying their bills and now they are in foreclosure.

You know what? That’s the breaks. That’s how life goes, sometimes. Sometimes you hit on hard times and you lose what you once had. If I lose my job, is someone going to pay for my car? Will ACORN squat in the driver’s seat preventing the repo man from taking my car while waiting for YOU, Allah, to make those payments for me?

What right do I have to expect YOU, Allah, to pay my bills for me? The fact that you seem so blase about this situation is disturbing.

There are no guarantees in life. You take risks every time you put something on credit. You hope that nothing bad happens to you and that you are able to pay the entire thing off but sometimes, that doesn’t happen. It is not my fault if you got a car, a house, a credit card and store credit and then lost your job or got in to an accident that now prevents you from paying for all of those bills.

It’s happened to me. I got in to a car accident almost 10 years ago that wiped me out. And you know what? The accident wasn’t my fault, the fact that I had problems paying my bills afterwards WAS my fault. I SHOULD HAVE thought about the “what ifs”.

Spending beyond your means doesn’t just mean what you can afford now, spending beyond your means is also about what you can afford should something drastic happen to you later on. Do you have any savings? Do you have a plan should something happen later on? If you lose your job or you are unable to work for a long period of time, do you have a way to continue to pay what you owe? Do you have any collateral? (sp) Are you living paycheck to paycheck?

These are simple questions that people should be asking themselves BEFORE they go out and buy big ticket items such as a house.

I do have sympathy for those who fall ill or lose their jobs, (not because they were fired), and fall on hard times. But, as with my own self, THEY are responsible for their debt should those things happen. Not me. Not you. Not anyone else.

No one bailed me out after I had my accident. I had to go through some tough times, I had to lose things, I had to suck it up and deal with what I put myself in to by having those debts. I did not get a hand out from the government. YOU did not bail me out nor did anyone else here. I did this on my own. I worked through it. I suffered a lot for it but it taught me a VERY valuable lesson. And I most certainly did not have the right to tell people to pay my way for me regardless of the circumstances.

I was very young and very naive about credit when that accident happened but it doesn’t erase the fact that I put myself in to that situation. (Not the accident, again, not my fault, and three years later, I got my settlement.) Those bills and debts I had were not because they were “too easy” to get. They were easy to get. Very easy. But I am the one who accepted them, naive or not. I am the one responsible for them, accident or no accident.

And I owned up to my responsibility. Not one dime of your money bailed me out of it.

So, yes, let them continue going on and on about this. The fact that so many people still believe it’s not their fault, it was the banks fault, well, hey, but I lost my job, I will lose my home, the fact that so many still refuse to take full responsibility for their actions tells me that these financial reporters NEED to continue saying what they are saying. And if they want to be angry about it, GOOD! We SHOULD be angry about this.

SerenityFL on February 24, 2009 at 6:52 AM

We’ve returned to the era of the Welfare Queen. The entitlement class thinks it has a right to your property. Yeah, right.

Now, the second amendment–that’s a right. Are you listening, Welfare Queens?

EMD on February 24, 2009 at 7:53 AM

Anybody stupid enough to sign one of the predatory loan, deserve to loose everything they put into it.
but if we add just one thing to the bailout in the long run it might be a good thing. “Any body who recieve the handout is ineligible to vote, ever.”

darktood on February 24, 2009 at 8:04 AM

When a low-income family couldn’t afford their dream home ACORN didn’t lend them money or co-sign for them, they bullied banks into providing the family a mortgage.

When the low-income family can’t pay their mortgage ACORN didn’t lend them the means to do so, they use bullying to keep the family from being evicted.

ACORN is a rich organization. The stimulus promises them up to $4billion. If ACORN really cares about the poor, it should help them in a responsible manner and not use near terroristic tactics.

DarkKnight3565 on February 24, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Karl Marx on February 23, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Fuchi!

True_King on February 24, 2009 at 8:37 AM

During the run up to the election I took great pleasure in allowing my Belgian Malinois to answer the door when the Acorn fools came knocking. Ahh, watching them run down the street in fear were good times indeed!

EagleClaw on February 24, 2009 at 9:23 AM

They arent paying their bills. They knew they couldn’t afford an house costing 800,000 dollars. Even Forist Gump would know that.

People who CAN afford their homes and get laid off collect unemployment (which SHOULD NOT BE TAXABLE). That happened to me twice now? Did I ask any of you to bail me out? No.

I got another job.

dogsoldier on February 24, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I think you mean spanish…

Karl Marx on February 23, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Mexican is not the same as Spanish. The Language is different also. Did you go to 2nd grade? :) Seriously, my husband is Spanish. You can’t compare Spanish with Mexican. Big difference.

sheebe on February 24, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Seven Percent Solution on February 23, 2009 at 9:31 PM

How about it indeed 7PS.

Part of the problem is the banks acted like lovers who lie to each other because the truth would stifle the “relationship”.

Banks accepted ‘no doc’ customers with stated income, thats right stated income. The customer comes in and lies saying I make 150k and the bank says ok you’re good to go on a 500k house, 100% loan, sometimes 105% loan covering points and closing costs. The rest of the story isn’t pretty, we’re looking at it.

kooziegirl on February 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Now, the second amendment–that’s a right. Are you listening, Welfare Queens?

EMD on February 24, 2009 at 7:53 AM

Makes me nostalgic for the fun stories I’ve heard about Lyndon Nimrod Fountain Pen Johnson’s great society. My family members were all yellow dog democrats till Lyndon came along. Truth is hey weren’t too pleased with Nixon either.

kooziegirl on February 24, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Delusional! Delusional!

pastorjim67 on February 24, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Varney rules.

LimeyGeek on February 24, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Liberals say: What’s mine is mine and what’s yours is mine.

Maxx on February 24, 2009 at 4:12 PM

“Countries don’t have permanent friends. Countries have permanent interests.” – Stuart Varney

“The Acorn doesn’t fall far from the tree.” – Barack Obama

Oh yeah, and “By Any Means” Bertha can take All of her “No *ahem* Justice, No Peace” lib codespeak, and shove it up Henrietta’s ass one, word at a time!

Wouldn’t want to come off looking needy Or greedy, now would you Bertha?
Just “done (billions of stimulus pckg. dollars) wrong”.

Teddy on February 24, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Gee the really embarrasing part was listening to the Fox news reader interview Stewart.

To borrow from Brzezinski:

You know, you have such a stunningly superficial knowledge of what went on that it’s almost embarrassing to listen to you.

moxie_neanderthal on February 25, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Varney rules!

DaveKlassix on February 25, 2009 at 2:06 AM

Great show Mr. Varney, tough love and they still don’t get it so why should we let them have it.

The only right the left have is to show their arrogance and ignorance via the only right they have in this case, free speech.

I wish they would just hand us a note saying “This is a Hold-Up give me all your money”. Then I would not have to hear them dance around their lies that they have a right to my money and that I am a racist when I say NO! A lesson here, my mother always told me to remember, “No.” is a complete sentence that does not imply any response is required or expected.

MSGTAS on February 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I simply refuse to watch even u-tubes where the host interrupts and yells at guests.

Enough of this.