Glenn Beck: The end of America is nigh, maybe

posted at 4:18 pm on February 21, 2009 by Allahpundit

Even before watching this, if you’d asked me which media star’s most likely to turn survivalist, move to the mountains, and start doing his show from a lead-lined bunker, there’s no doubt what the answer would have been. There’s something “off” about Beck in a way that’s not true of other chat-show hosts, although that’s not necessarily a criticism: O’Reilly and Hannity can be tiresome in more than small doses but this guy I find watchable even at a stretch. Partly it’s the sheer bravado of the performance, partly it’s the challenge of trying to figure out what’s going on in his head to make him the way he is. As big an audience as he has, I’m surprised it’s not bigger. He’s one of a kind.

I’m giving you all three segments from yesterday’s show; if you’re only up for one, stick with number three. Nothing they’re saying is terribly implausible, frankly — except maybe the idea that in five years NYC will look like Mexico City or Baghdad — but because the tone of Beck’s show is always somewhat febrile, it’s hard to know how seriously to take any of it. Segment two, at least, is very serious indeed. If you’re hungry for dessert afterwards, try his appearance on Fox & Friends yesterday morning to promote this show, in which he talks about his hands shaking and frightens Gretchen into hiding under the couch. Like I say, one of a kind.

Update 2/22: A couple of lefty readers e-mailed to ask if I find any of this crap credible. Answer: No, except for the scenario sketched out in segment two about Iran targeting Saudi oil installations in the event of regional war. That’s why I singled it out as serious. I should have been more careful, though, in saying that nothing here is terribly implausible, which I wrote with the inflation bit at the beginning in mind. Segment three certainly is implausible; when I said it’s the one to watch, it’s because it’s nutty and most emblematic of that “lead-lined bunker” mentality. Apologies if that was ambiguous. I’m not stocking up on canned goods, I promise.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

Almost on cue, Drudge has the idiot messiah’s plan to tax business and loot the rich. What Beck described is coming a heck of a lot sooner than 2014 – and it’s going to be much worse, too.

Of course, many of us warned about this during the campaign – though I don’t think anyone thought that the idiot messiah would move so quickly on his destruction of America.

progressoverpeace on February 21, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Never.

Skywise on February 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM

meh

ernesto on February 21, 2009 at 4:22 PM

I loved the disclaimers.

It wasn’t the subject matter so much as Beck’s performance that I found off-putting.

VolMagic on February 21, 2009 at 4:24 PM

ernesto on February 21, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Smartest thing you’ve said yet.

One of the differences between Beck and, say, O’Reilly is that when Beck tries to be funny, sometimes he actually succeeds.

Jim Treacher on February 21, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I’m fearful of my future, too.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to afford a home. Between property taxes, insurance, ect… I’ll be paying the equivalent of 16 house payments, while there are only 12 months in the year.

At some point, I think I’ll have to get double my current pay to just “get by” soon.

From what I see of this approaching storm, the rather frugal live I’ve been living now will seem extravagant next year.

And I totally support this…

Mazztek on February 21, 2009 at 4:26 PM

He used to be really funny, but he has gotten really serious lately. Don’t get me wrong, he’s still very funny on his radio show, and it is still one of the best and highly produced shows on talk radio. I’m just saying that I’ve noticed a “change” in him, indicating that he’s not just blowing smoke or trying to be alarmist, rather he really thinks these things are a possibility. And really, who of us doesn’t think that? He’s just taken that sinking feeling we all have, and “fleshed” it out a little more. I like what he’s been doing lately; it’s a little sober which, for a guy who used to be an alcoholic, makes for some wonderful irony. I’m with ya, Beck.

Weight of Glory on February 21, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Let’s see.

Increasing deaths on the Mexican border, Da Bama bankrupting the U.S. in an effort to supply funds to BLACKS who refuse to earn an education then work for a living [aka. ACORN], Da Bama hitting more targets inside of nuclear Pakistan, gun sales in America on the rise, talk of letting kids under the age of 18 drink, Da Bama letting China skip on its human rights violations, America funding abortion in foreign lands, talk of stifling freedom of speech rights, more talk of nationalizing banks, …

Apocalypse NOW!

DannoJyd on February 21, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I DVR’d this mofo and sincerely believe that Glenn believes that a lot of this will happen. Everyday he reminds his listeners about how much he reads history and how he has predicted just about everything. But when you make an apocolyptic prediction every segment, you better get something right. He’s animated beyond anyone on TV and rivals Hannity when it comes to length of a question. His high pitched, sarcastic voice makes me want to punch a baby. Having said that, he has great guests and I watch/listen to him everyday. Isn’t that weird…

V15J on February 21, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Hey man, even if you’re wrong you’ll still have gold guns and food…

ninjapirate on February 21, 2009 at 4:30 PM

And if he turns out to be right?

E9RET on February 21, 2009 at 4:31 PM

progressoverpeace on February 21, 2009 at 4:20 PM

But, isn’t that the way it is supposed to work according to Alinsky and Ayers? Move fast so that no one knows what is happening until it is too late.

cjs1943 on February 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM

One would have thought that out of sheer self-preservation instinct he’d have tried to stave off economic collapse rather than hasten it, a course of action that would have enabled him to spread responsibility widely instead of concentrate it within his leftwing coalition. It should have taken a year for him to gain ownership of economic distress, with 80-20 or better Senate support for policies which, though also wrongheaded, might have smoothed the transition to whatever shakes out for the next chapters.

Staging a “Fiscal Responsibility Summit” a week after passing the Stimulus, with TARP II and more still on the horizon, is 1984-level surrealism.

Debt Is Responsibility
Fear Is Hope

Long live Big Obrother!

CK MacLeod on February 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM

The end of America is nigh, maybe

Before I knew Obama’s name
And heard his wail and whinin’
I had a country and it had me
And the sun was always shinin’

But then one day Obama, Reid and Pelosi betrayed me
And left me far behind them
And now I’m lost, so gone and lost
Not even God can find me

MB4 on February 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM

V15J on February 21, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Heh. No it’s not weird. His radio show is hilarious, especially with Stu providing the much needed humor and levity to Beck’s the-world-is-going-to-end-ism.

Weight of Glory on February 21, 2009 at 4:33 PM

It’s one thing to say that the next generation won’t have it as good as this one or the previous generation. Sure, that’s very plausible and with the treasury pumping out dollars the risk of Latin American-style inflation is certainly there.

It’s another to predict Mad Max-scenarios where Americans are killing each other for gasoline.

Let’s not forget the tremendous riches – natural and otherwise – that we still have. Oil, minerals, a well-educated populace.

The scenario that frigthens me is a Camp of the Saints type scene (not that I embrace the more xenophobic and nativist underpinings of the book).

SteveMG on February 21, 2009 at 4:34 PM

snicker…

Mazztek on February 21, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Well, he might be right. Allah, we need a thread on this video…

MidPointMan on February 21, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Weight of Glory on February 21, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Yeah they compliment each other well.

V15J on February 21, 2009 at 4:36 PM

I’ve been watching Glenn for a couple of years. He DID predict the economic down turn before it happened. I am paying attention to what he is saying. You could make the case “The Perfect Storm” as he says is unfolding before our eyes. I really like it when he has Joel Rosenberg on. I’ve captured a few of those appearances here.

On the negative side. Beck seems to be asking much longer questions lately and eating up the time of his experts that I want to hear from! Glenn, if you ever read this, please let your guests talk! I also know a couple of people who have had to quit watching him for awhile. They feel better after backing away from the dire predictions.

Ordinary1 on February 21, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Allah:

I actually beat you to the Beck “American survivor” story in my post yesterday, “Worst Case Scenario? Preparing for Anarchy in America”:

I’m working on a follow up piece and will track back…

Donald Douglas on February 21, 2009 at 4:38 PM

watched it live. it was…interesting

Drunk Report on February 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM

cjs1943 on February 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I’m stunned. It feels like a reaction to the CNBC Chicago Tea Party.

CK MacLeod on February 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I had imagined that he would hasten it (since the credit crisis broke and we all had to come to grips with a possible monetary collapse – a real collapse, not the silly sort of collapse that most people talk about blithely) in order to be able to bring about martial law. But, even in that context I was imagining a year, or so. He’s all-in on this. Crazy.

progressoverpeace on February 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM

a well-educated populace.

Where?

oldleprechaun on February 21, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Not to mention lecturing America’s mayors, any one of whom would be more qualified for his job than he is, to be responsible with the money.

Jim Treacher on February 21, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Contrast Mr. Beck with Dr. Friedman (youtube link).

And as the folks here (Baseline Scenario) point out, the vast majority of investors – public and private – are sending their money to the US because they see it, rightly or not, as the safest and best investment, even during these times. For many, the only way we’ll pull out of this global downturn is for the US to lead the way.

They’re betting on us. With their resources.

If we fall, AllahPundit help the rest of the world.

SteveMG on February 21, 2009 at 4:46 PM

DannoJyd on February 21, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I think you could have gone further. Iran nuking up, North Korea going to test missiles, China’s citzens unrest with their economy, France and the UK and the rest of the EU caving into Muslims and their sharia law, etc. Surely, this list could go on. And we have the Big Zero to lead us during these trying times.

cjs1943 on February 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM

He’s been on Fox for all of 3 weeks. He was (in my estimation) inhibited on CNN, not so much on FoxNews. I tape it daily and watch. To not consider what he brings to the table is sheer folly, it is all possible.

Onager on February 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Nothing they’re saying is terribly implausible, frankly — except maybe the idea that in five years NYC will look like Mexico City or Baghdad — but because the tone of Beck’s show is always somewhat febrile, it’s hard to know how seriously to take any of.

Febrile works. So does mawkish. I can only take Beck in small doses precisely because he is so freaking emotional. 90% of the time he’s terrific, and he’s spot on when he warns that we are marching towards Socialism, but I prefer the approach of a Rush or Mark Steyn who are passionate but remain level headed. It’s like having a parent who freaks out during an emergency instead of remaining calm.

Buy Danish on February 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Where?

We have tremendous numbers of trained engineers and scientists and doctors and other specialists and on and on….

All of the social indicators over the past decade – crime, illegitimacy, drug usage – have gone down.

America is where the world continues to invest.

SteveMG on February 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM

gold, guns, generators is going to end up a portion of peoples 401 ks.

rob verdi on February 21, 2009 at 4:51 PM

America is where the world continues to invest.

SteveMG on February 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Not when they figure out that the idiot messiah is going to confiscate it when it gets here. Capital will leave this country, in a hurry, and the world economy will grind to a total halt.

progressoverpeace on February 21, 2009 at 4:52 PM

WIth one parent who survived Hitler, another who lived through the Depression, and having myself witnessed 9/11, I will never say it can’t happen here.

The idea is neither to be frightened nor to poo-poo it as fear-mongering. If what Beck and his panel were pondering are worst-case scenarios, half as bad is still horrible. So the object is to be watchful, be prepared and try to organize and fight as hard as you can to PREVENT this.

J.J. Sefton on February 21, 2009 at 4:52 PM

By the way, the last person who underestimated America was Osama Bin Laden. I don’t say that as a comparison to Beck, but as a note of optimism.

rob verdi on February 21, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Thanks for posting! Beck seems like the only one who has a clue at Fox News right now.

adams6kids on February 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM

For as long as Glenn Beck has been on the radio in Hawaii, (years) I’d loved listening to his show, but once he went on TV and I saw him something happened and I can’t handle watching him, and I don’t listen to his show any more either.

Its nothing to do with ideological disagreements, and he hasn’t really changed, its just that something is “off” like Allahpundit says.

1968eric on February 21, 2009 at 4:55 PM

One point that wasn’t mentioned in the 3rd segment when they were discussing what the U.S. Military would do is the fact that every member of the military takes an oath

“I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same”

There is no oath to the president, yet.

I think the military would have to do whatever it takes to uphold the Constitution. Just as I and my fellows did when it seemed possible that Nixon was going to declare martial law, troops today will have to ask themselves if they are going to protect Americans or fire on them.

I can’t conceive of any situation where the U.S. Military is not going to support the Constitution and defend Americans even at the risk of disobeying the president and the officers who give unlawful orders.

I was prepared to do so in 1974.

E9RET on February 21, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Joe Biden gave us a clue too. He said within 6 months we’d be hit and Obama would be tested.

This perfect storm is being orchestrated. America was too strong to go down any other way.

katy on February 21, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Under Mayor Dinkens NYC was like mexico city or bagdad.

jukin on February 21, 2009 at 4:57 PM

The entire banking system continues to rapidly sink into the abyss despite the Federal Reserve, FDIC and Treasury having pumped in, or committed to pump in, TEN TRILLION FIATSCOS into the failed financial gamblers.

In fact, it was only after Treasury released that “Non-statement-statement” regarding the bank bailout plan at 3:00pm yesterday that Bank of America temporarily stopped crashing to zero.

However, not so lucky was the faltering enterprise Citi, who’s stock stayed below 2 bucks even after the propaganda proffered by TPTB.

Therefore, at this point nationalization of the entire banking and financial system is a foregone conclusion and if we make very far into March before this takes place, I will be very surprised.

Let us hope that in order to effect this nationalization they don’t close the banks for a couple of weeks just to sort out the debt and derivatives positions and/or turn our savings and checking accounts into 30-year Treasury bonds, as did Argentina to its citizens in 2001, or some other equally draconian measure.

The nationalization step will be necessary because the banks are stuck with trillions and trillions of fiatscos of failed debt, securitization and other derivatives positions.

Finally, it would change materially when a bunch of lazy, paper-shuffling bureaucrats are in control of the credit process (although the banks sure did a very “proficient” job of issuing too much credit to too many deadbeats, bringing this whole mess down on their own heads).

And all this is just for starters. I haven’t had much time to think through all the ramifications yet as I have been busy stocking up on Twinkies and Slim Jims so I will be better positioned to survive this “Great Disintegration I” through which we are now living.

Somehow the word “Scroomed” just doesn’t do justice in describing our situation.

KentAllard on February 21, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Okay, it’s up.

Here’s what one of my commenters left yesterday:

“You know sir, at first blush it’s easy to dismiss those who may be motivated for preparation as merely apocalyptical moonbats requiring a tinfoil refit. However, at my advanced age, I am more inclined to fit into this category than any other. At 60, educated, BA in english and communications studies (hoped for an entire career in radio many years ago) and a recent Masters in emergency services (applicable to my job in law enforcement), I am yet and still of the opinion that we are about to witness a true landslide of biblical proportions.

I’ve lived 75 miles away from my job since 1993. I live at the 4,000-foot level in the Sierra Nevada mountains where most people know me in town, the Postmaster knows me, the store owner knows me, I can run a tab if I wish (but I don’t wish), and I can leave the keys in my car on Main Street all day. I frequently leave my car running when I go for mail at the post office, or to pick up items in the store. Everyone in town knows, essentially, that everyone else is armed. Resultingly, it is predominantly a polite town. I’ve carried for years, due to my job. I was the recent Rangemaster for my 2,500+ officer department. I have long guns, handguns, a shotgun. I have requisite ammunition.”

Donald Douglas on February 21, 2009 at 4:59 PM

I really love Glenn Beck – I listen to his show when I am traveling – I don’t get it where I live. I love his passion and urgency – I watched this show and while I just hope he is wrong – I give him kuddos for discussing this stuff. The Mexico thing is really scary. He is the only one talking about it

lacegirl on February 21, 2009 at 5:00 PM

meh.
Not the end of ‘Merica, just the end of the GOP.
Clue: Great Britain
How long have the conservatives been out of power now?

strangelet on February 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Glenn Beck is a kook. He strikes me as the perfect candidate for Lithium.

Mike Honcho on February 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Not so OT:

Obama to Unveil an Ambitious Budget Plan

By Lori Montgomery and Ceci Connolly
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, February 21, 2009; 3:00 PM

President Obama is putting the finishing touches on an ambitious first budget that seeks to cut the federal deficit in half over the next four years, primarily by raising taxes on business and the wealthy and by slashing spending on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, administration officials said.

The markets are going to love this.

Cody1991 on February 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM

AP, You should appreciate my insight into Glenn’s hysteria, He’s a Mormon and you know how Glenn over reacts and how Mormons prepare for the end of times. Enough said.

KCtheKat on February 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM

It’s not like the exact same thing hasn’t happened a hundred times. Every time a country converted to Socialism.

The only difference is that it never happened HERE before. Until now.

logis on February 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Glenn might be off but he has some good points, espically about Mexico, I don’t think the Citizens of the US want us to be a place where if Mexico fail we end up taking the people on as refugees. We already have millions of illegals that are wreaking havoic on our economy. We as a country can’t sustain all it’s taking on something has to give. I think Glenn is just brainstorming out loud letting others know what he is thinking. Espically since the country is so divided. We are know in unknowen teritory as a country and we have no clue as to what’s next. It’s scary!

Brat4life on February 21, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I think Glenn’s point is this: If you think we cannot crumble simply because we are the United States of America, you are wrong. We still need to what is right.

pugwriter on February 21, 2009 at 5:06 PM

The guy in the first clip is right that you want gold and silver right now. Do yourself a favor and exchange as much fiat as you can now.

The Dean on February 21, 2009 at 5:06 PM

The only difference is that it never happened HERE before. Until now.

logis on February 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM

exactly why this is more fatal than in any other time. The US has always been the world’s stabalizer/rudder/engine in every way.
Without it, the world is toast.

katy on February 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM

katy on February 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Bingo!

progressoverpeace on February 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Clearly I’m not the only one who finds Beck a tad off, good to know.

doubleplusundead on February 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Clearly I’m not the only one who finds Beck a tad off, good to know.

doubleplusundead on February 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Yes he is , but the times are a bit off too. And what he says isn’t to far off.

the_nile on February 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM

The future is coming. I say we invest in assless chaps and hockey masks.

madne0 on February 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM

pugwriter on February 21, 2009 at 5:06 PM

We’re taking the exact same steps that have led a hundred countries to the exact same conclusion before.

The ONLY reason to suspect things will work out completely different this time around is if you believe that God simply loves America more than he does all the other countries that have fallen apart in the past.

And with liberals in charge, we don’t even have that to fall back on.

logis on February 21, 2009 at 5:19 PM

The end is nigh: http://tinyurl.com/dkc663

kagai on February 21, 2009 at 5:20 PM

katy on February 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Indeed. If we came under the rule of a dictator ruining the country and the region, there is no one to stop it. No other nation even willing, let alone able.

It would be up to ourselves, and Americans have become so complacent that I don’t know if the ones who would need to rise up would be willing or able either.

And we wouldn’t be able to organize. This isn’t the 18th century, the government can swoop in in a heart beat and stifle any dissent the moment is arises. Only God could save us, and those hands are the ones I want to be in anyway.

Grafted on February 21, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Bad presentation or not, Beck brings up issues that must be looked at.
The Mullato Messiah is going to tank the economy and try to introduce a Marxist state.
Those that refuse to consider it do so at their own peril!

woodswalking1 on February 21, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Bah, when it comes to predicting he’s got nothing on the Circle Jerks.

exlibris on February 21, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I resent the snarkiness dripping in this article. So Beck is a nut huh?

Well he sure is one of those broken clock nuts because so far of anyone who has a public voice, HE has been the most accurate when analyizing where we are today and where we are heading.

ALmost everyone else in the media can be categorized by one word: COMPLACENT

I vomit on the complacency I see all around me. I feel like Sarah Conner in Terminator 2 .. sent to the mental ward by people who have no future because she scared them by telling them the truth.

VinceP1974 on February 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I think our new iranian ‘friends’ give a us a present…a nuke or EMP in the northeast in a few years…

and our mexican friends (drug gangs) make more and more inroads into america…and we become norte mehico..robert allen stanford, big democrat donor, working with the gulf coast mexican drug gangs…

things are going to get ugly in this country…depression thanks to duh 1′s policies…worthless money…inflation…

see zimbabwe for a vision of our future…

right4life on February 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM

What you see as ‘off’, I see as truth telling in an alpha male, protect your own, kind of way….

frizzbee on February 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM

I listened to Beck for several years as entertainment, but in the last year, he has seemed more of a visionary, as some of his predictions are coming true. Even Fox News saw that the guy has a wisdom to his schtick, way more so than Hannity or even O’Reilly, IMO, and gave him a show.

He supports his positions with analysis of historical events……consider me a fan, or maybe even a disciple.

I would head to DC w/ my pitchfork when called, because I think we need a revolution to take our country back from the Marxists who have quietly and subversively taken it over.

ornery_independent on February 21, 2009 at 5:27 PM

appeasement abroad; socialism at home= disaster.

i mean: DISASTER.

reliapundit on February 21, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Contrast Mr. Beck with Dr. Friedman…

SteveMG on February 21, 2009 at 4:46 PM

In grading their forecasts recently, Dr. Friedman/Stratfor give themselves an “F” for not foreseeing just how badly the subprime crisis would affect the economy. Glenn Beck was more on target than Stratfor.

Geofizz on February 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Ounce of Pervention/Pound of Cure

Have listened to Beck for a few years. A harbinger, as far as I’m concerned.

Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and, having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.”

Patrick Henry

I will be wholeheartedly happy if nothing Beck says comes to pass. As I clean my shotgun.

EZnSF on February 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Even among the far right loons Beck is in a class by himself. Its always “the end of the world” with him. He’s a drama QUEEN. Drama is only effective in small doses, when its used all the time its like crying wolf all the time. People with a brain just tune him out now. He’s borderline creepy. I’m glad he’s on YOUR side.

athensboy on February 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM

AP, your snarky article is an excellent example of the type of RINO crap we’ve been listening to for decades.

I’m glad as hell that somebody with a voice reaching millions has the balls to say what we’ve all been thinking. IT’S ABOUT EFFING TIME.

Hannity and O’Reilly – give me a break – those 2 kowtow to guests in ways that make me want to puke, especially black guests like Sharpton and Rangle. H & O’R are so damn scared of being called bigots they bend over and grab ankles. Sickening.

Glenn Beck takes no prisoners and does not suffer fools. Hooray for him and those of us who watch his show.

kooziegirl on February 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM

If it comes time for the military to be ordered to fire on the Americaqn people, I think history shows that:
1. There will be a muster.
2. The troops will be informed of the situation.
3. Officers and men who want to enforce unconstitutional government decrees will be allowed to march away withour arms.
4. The remainder will be at the call of the Society of Cincinnatius to correct the situation.
5. The government will be cleansed and all members of the society will retire.

Old Country Boy on February 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Obama purposely wants to ruin this country.

Firebird on February 21, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Oops. I hit tab by mistake. withour should read without.

Old Country Boy on February 21, 2009 at 5:36 PM

That was worth watching for Brad Thor alone. I’d never seen him on TV before.

Spirit of 1776 on February 21, 2009 at 5:38 PM

In 2014 gold may or may not be $1000 per ounce, but what can one do with it? Gold ain’t food, and it ain’t fuel. In the worst case scenario, a pound of flour, a pound of ground beef, a gallon of gasoline will be the currency of choice. In the post apoclyptic world, gold would be worthless.

Pelayo on February 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM

I resent the snarkiness dripping in this article. So Beck is a nut huh?

Snarkiness is a substitute for taking a position on something. You’ll notice a trend in the snarkiness here, I’ll leave you to read and decide for yourself the details.

Me personally, I do not see good things in the coming years, but I think Glenn Beck is a bit over the top. An empire’s decline (if you want to call America an empire) is usually gradual, and, always inevitable. I do agree with his stance on being prepared, be accountable for yourself and your family–being proactive and independent minded. These are good traits in all times, prosperous or not.

Little by little, America is being populated by a people dependent on Government, by a people who freeze up when given an opportunity to achieve, by a people who resent the success of others. By a people who turn that resentment into theft. Haughty left-bank sophists advocate populist changes assuming their double-soy-latte-lifestyles won’t be adversely affected.

This is also referred to as creeping Socialism.

These traits existed before and since 1776, yes, but they are now reaching majority status.

Beck annoys me as much as he informs and amuses me. However, I respect the fact that he has taken a stance. I am not a big fan of sophists.

Montana on February 21, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Maybe it’s time to start assembling an ‘economic militia’ – we may not be ready for armed opposition to our government, but there are lots of other tools available to us before it gets to that point.

Those of us who know how can help others who don’t know how resist successfully.

Picture this: you are still employed (perhaps underemployed), and you sell a neighbor some squash that you grew in your back yard garden. You ask him to pay you with his debit card and some barter items. For the debit card transaction, you whip out your cell phone and type in his debit card number and expiration date.

The money is deposited in your offshore account and is not taxable (until you repatriate part of the funds later by spending them in the US).

Time are tough, but you are building some wealth offshore where the IRS cannot reach it.

Globalization works for the little guy, too.

Simple.

Google ‘offhsore account’

ElRonaldo on February 21, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Maybe my childhood “Red Dawn” dream of fighting communism alongside Patrick Swayze will come true after all…

Johnson on February 21, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Glad to see others quoting P.H.

“I repeat it, sir, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of hosts is all that is left us! . . . Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”

“The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.”

nwnelson on February 21, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I find Beck difficult to listen to, let alone watch. He is new to my area during the 9 to noon radio hours.

He gets on my nerves when he does that “touching” voice crackle to denote how frightened or touched he is. He uses that far too much.

Also, he’s a little depressing. I don’t mind preparing for what may be coming, but I find myself too on the verge of being too depressed to act when I injest too much Beck. That can’t be good.

myrenovations on February 21, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Well,that’s what got me watching him. When he was on CNN’s Headline News channel, I would tune in and watch him spout TEH CRAZY and it was right in the middle of him predicting the economic meltdown. It was too much theater for me and far too much doomsdaying, so I turned him off and put it off as schtick.

Well, low and behold, the guy was right and he was pretty much the only one out there saying it. So now I listen. I don’t know that I buy it all, but I do think the country could be in for times we’re not prepared to handle. I don’t see the harm in thinking it through and making up some contingency plans for the worst-case. What’s that saying? “Expect the best, prepare for the worst.”

And the one thing I like about Glenn Beck, hokey emotional guy that he can be, is that I get the sincerity of what he’s saying. He’s saying it because he truly believes it. I don’t think he’s that good of an actor. His sincerity and his open wish that he’s the guy that’s mocked and ridiculed forever for being so wrong. I don’t know – I think it takes an honest guy to admit, in front of millions, on both radio and TV, that no one hopes he’s wrong more than he, himself, does.

I find him far more watchable than O’Reilly or Hannity. O’Reilly didn’t even know who Michael Yon was for heaven’s sake and Hannity’s bluster and repeated (ad nauseum) talking points on his one-man show have driven me away. I’ll watch a segment here or there, but rarely a whole show.

Glenn Beck, on the other hand, got me as a subscriber to his website, a three-hour a day listener of his radio show (via podcast) and I watch his show every night, beginning to end.

And I’m SO not prepared for the whole survivalist thing. I don’t garden. I have no food supply. I do have a weapon, but just one, and I’m not the best shooter. So, I’m not exactly one who would naturally go to this mindset.

But living in San Diego, with the threat of Mexico’s collapse very real and present, and seeing how things I keep thinking would never happen, are or look like they will, I’m paying attention to the guy who I thought was the epitome of NUTSO.

There you go.

Athena on February 21, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Your qualification here is disappointing. You don’t want America to be overrun by mass Third World immigration? Good. We agree. But you seem to implying that Jean Raspail is a racist. In light of what immigrants “youths” have done to Paris (and France generally) I think it’s ridiculous that he is still facing these kinds of condemnations.

aengus on February 21, 2009 at 5:41 PM

There’s something “off” about Beck Allah in a way that’s not true of other chat-show blog hosts,

fixed.

ExTex on February 21, 2009 at 5:41 PM

“Live Free or Die”

It’s not just some catchy slogan associated with New Hampshire.

It’s time we all decide what we stand for. The Founding Fathers had to make some tough choices as so must we.

I certainly hope that the regular guys who are called upon to carry out tyranny upon their fellow citizens will resist but history tells us otherwise.

Beck pulls no punches. He had Peter Schiff on when everyone thought he was crazy. Now everyone else looks like a moron. The scenarios these guys contemplate are real.

Prepare for the worst case and hope it never comes to pass.

Bought two new guns yesterday and if someday they come for them I’ll die on my front porch.

Live Free or Die

BrianA on February 21, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I totaly agree with this series

Our government is so incompeting and corrupt
And americans are already being arrested for defending themselfves..

If there is an economic collapse
And i dont doubt every MUSLIM will take full advantage of that situation..

Americans will band together and being to fight
AGAINST our own elected leaders…

But will NOT fire upon our fine soldiers..

How do i know this?
I know i have heard various talk (very privately)
Where americans are beginning to prepare to defend themselfves

Because they know their own government run by wako liberals pssibly working for the very enemies of the uSA
WILL NOT Defend them

No when this happens and it will..
americans better be prepared

for war..

jcila on February 21, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I like Beck.

I also like Savage. Borders, language, culture.

BowHuntingTexas on February 21, 2009 at 5:44 PM

those poor ‘utes’ are just victims of the oppressive white christian power structure in europe!! they practice the religion of peace

and everything will be peaceful if the europeans learn to bend over 5 times a day to mecca…

and it seems that britian is well on its way to the peace of allah..

right4life on February 21, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I wish they’s put on Monica Crowley…and don’t put her behind a desk!!!

and they have to require her to wear short dresses…. ;-)

right4life on February 21, 2009 at 5:46 PM

I think the $30 mil. Pelosi snuck in for the little mouse in the Bay marsh was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

If you are in a crisis or facing a real catastophe you don’t set aside this kind of money for mice habitat.

Porkulus was a lie and it will ruin us. The mortgage plan ($275b) will confuse the housing market, not help. Dems gone wild, seriously.

These guys in the clips are correct about gold. Once China pulls away from investing in our treasuries the dollar slides.

Firm up your friendships and keep a bedroom open for your folks or kids to come back to.

FireBlogger on February 21, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I saw the show, but was cooking dinner and didn’t catch some of what the guests said. This is going to be sooner then 2014. The People of our Country need to start acting sooner. We can take our Government. They need to go. Look at the crap that is going on. They have been stealing us blind for years. All that Pork money added up. That was our money. And now the Man Child is going to give us tax breaks? Bullsh*t. It isn’t a tax break. We will be paying more. He needs to go and all his crooked Cabinet and we need a clean fresh Congress. I know that there are some good people on both sides. But they sat there and let this happen. Pelosi, Reid, Dodds,Frank……..They all need to be jailed. I can’t wait for that day to come.

sheebe on February 21, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Where did I say the author was a racist? Or that the book was racist?

You do know the difference between xenophobia, nativism and racism?

SteveMG on February 21, 2009 at 5:49 PM

and it seems that britian is well on its way to the peace of allah..

Or the peace of the grave. Islam=peace.

aengus on February 21, 2009 at 5:49 PM

The Titanic sink?? Are you some kinda nut??

JellyToast on February 21, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Or the peace of the grave. Islam=peace.

aengus on February 21, 2009 at 5:49 PM

same thing…its really sad to watch…but its not surprising…I believe when the Beast raises his wounded head…he’ll be muslim…he beheads those who dare oppose him…

right4life on February 21, 2009 at 5:52 PM

And if he turns out to be right?

E9RET on February 21, 2009 at 4:31 PM

You’ll have gold, guns and food.

Benjamin9 on February 21, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Where did I say the author was a racist? Or that the book was racist?

You do know the difference between xenophobia, nativism and racism?

SteveMG on February 21, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Yes but to my mind the modern usage of racism covers everything from actual racism to opposition to multiculturalism. I wasn’t trying to attack you. I just think that Raspail’s problematic attitudes are as nothing in the face of a large-scale invasion by foreign aliens.

aengus on February 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM

FireBlogger on February 21, 2009 at 5:48 PM

and make sure you’ve got a lot of ammo..just in case…its always a good idea…

right4life on February 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM

also like Savage. Borders, language, culture.
BowHuntingTexas on February 21, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Savage speaks the truth but is overlooked by almost everyone except his listeners. Beck has a way of delivering with a sense of humor as AP notes.

Big 5; Rush, Hannity, Levin and Michael Savage, Laura Ingraham

FireBlogger on February 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Big 5; Rush, Hannity, Levin and Michael Savage, Laura Ingraham

FireBlogger on February 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM

monica’s got better legs than any of them…and that means a lot!!!!

right4life on February 21, 2009 at 5:55 PM