Glenn Beck: The end of America is nigh, maybe

posted at 4:18 pm on February 21, 2009 by Allahpundit

Even before watching this, if you’d asked me which media star’s most likely to turn survivalist, move to the mountains, and start doing his show from a lead-lined bunker, there’s no doubt what the answer would have been. There’s something “off” about Beck in a way that’s not true of other chat-show hosts, although that’s not necessarily a criticism: O’Reilly and Hannity can be tiresome in more than small doses but this guy I find watchable even at a stretch. Partly it’s the sheer bravado of the performance, partly it’s the challenge of trying to figure out what’s going on in his head to make him the way he is. As big an audience as he has, I’m surprised it’s not bigger. He’s one of a kind.

I’m giving you all three segments from yesterday’s show; if you’re only up for one, stick with number three. Nothing they’re saying is terribly implausible, frankly — except maybe the idea that in five years NYC will look like Mexico City or Baghdad — but because the tone of Beck’s show is always somewhat febrile, it’s hard to know how seriously to take any of it. Segment two, at least, is very serious indeed. If you’re hungry for dessert afterwards, try his appearance on Fox & Friends yesterday morning to promote this show, in which he talks about his hands shaking and frightens Gretchen into hiding under the couch. Like I say, one of a kind.

Update 2/22: A couple of lefty readers e-mailed to ask if I find any of this crap credible. Answer: No, except for the scenario sketched out in segment two about Iran targeting Saudi oil installations in the event of regional war. That’s why I singled it out as serious. I should have been more careful, though, in saying that nothing here is terribly implausible, which I wrote with the inflation bit at the beginning in mind. Segment three certainly is implausible; when I said it’s the one to watch, it’s because it’s nutty and most emblematic of that “lead-lined bunker” mentality. Apologies if that was ambiguous. I’m not stocking up on canned goods, I promise.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Ya’ll remember how to Boil a frog?

Riderbob on February 23, 2009 at 12:00 AM

15-Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.

Question: Have the Communists captured one or both of the political parties in the United States?

aengus on February 23, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Yeah, I’m not getting why a lot of people don’t see the potential for these scenarios to play out, and why they dismiss it as conspiracy theory-ish stuff. Folks, have you paid attention to the news lately? I really don’t get where people think money is going to come from, when we’re $80 trillion in the hole, and it’s only going to get worse.

aengus on February 23, 2009 at 12:00 AM

You’re joking, right?

RightWinged on February 23, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Forget the “stake” in Citi (and BoA?) for now. JPMorgan is insolvent, Wells Fargo is insolvent, AIG and Hartford are zombie insurance companies. Pension liabilities and commercial real estate haven’t even started their legs down yet. Tax receipts are evaporating.
SteveMG talks about the greenback as safe haven because of other currencies worse state, and this is true for now. But while the Hope of the World© couldn’t be bothered to soothe Davos personally, Putin showed up and gave a credible speech about preparing for a post greenback world. China was very interested.

rhodeymark on February 23, 2009 at 6:10 AM

Anyone who thinks these things aren’t credible, either hasn’t looked at history or has taken the normal route. That meaning that there is a consistent pattern in human history of ignoring the lessons you can learn from looking at what happend in similar situations.

The ideas presented on the Beck program are not extreme, and there is real trouble when the government just starts to print money. Zimbabwe is in this situation, anyone really want to live there?

The passionate always come across in a way that doesn’t line up with what someone expects. Therein lies the problem, we as a nation have become so politically correct and have traveled down the path to communism further than most of us realize that the expectation is not passionate responses to events.

And for those who don’t believe that we have been on the long road to communism, look at what is going on right now with ACORN and their protests as an immediate example. Where in the constitution or anywhere else is it spelled out that every American has the RIGHT to a home as this group insists while they are encouraging people to break the law? Dream of a home, yes, but a RIGHT? That is a communist thought process. The only problem is that these morons don’t realize the home they have a RIGHT to under that kind of government is not their dream, it is an unheated squalid shack with four walls and a barely functional comode.

That is why there is so much passion in Savage, Beck and a few others.

Marine_Bio on February 23, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Geert Wilders will be on Glenn Beck’s show tonight.

Disturb the Universe on February 23, 2009 at 8:52 AM

rhodeymark on February 23, 2009 at 6:10 AM

I know, he sounded more like REAGAN than some kgb guy..I was stunned…

right4life on February 23, 2009 at 8:58 AM

There is nothing to fear but Obama himself.

towerh2o on February 23, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Well, that just means more wasteland for me to conquer in my methane powered vehicle. My trusty dog and myself will be the catalysts for rebuilding civilization.

Look, if the 80′s taught us anything, it’s that the apocalypse is just around the corner and that the only things that will survive is hairspray and really neat cars.

Near as I can tell, we are about 10 years overdue…

Krydor on February 23, 2009 at 9:24 AM

RealDemocrat on February 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

aengus on February 23, 2009 at 12:00 AM
You’re joking, right?

RightWinged on February 23, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Good grief, aengus must be joking or back to doing meth. Get a dose of reality asap. And to the rest of us who aren’t hiding from the truth we need to get busy and stop implementation of the Bad Behavior Recovery Act before we’re toast.

kooziegirl on February 23, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I’m not stocking up on canned goods, I promise.

I not stocking up on canned goods, but have a few mre’s, i am ammo, do have about 15k rounds. one of us will be wrong, if its me then i will have more fun at the range. if it is Allah then he will be praying to a GOD he does not believe in.

Be_Aware on February 23, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I like being mentally prepared for any situation. I did the test on his web site and I am a thinker. glennbeck.com thanks

sweetcake on February 23, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Yes. No canned goods for me, but more ammo…YES.

pseudonominus on February 23, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I for one appreciate Glenn talking about the scenarios that may or may not be so far off as some of you put it. Glenn puts it out there and admits that he may be crazy. He’s always surrounding himself with educated and experienced people and begging them to tell him he is wrong and make sense about it. So far no one can do both. I think it’s time we all start learning or re-learning our history, starting with the Constitution.

froginthesky on February 23, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Hey. All the old-times I know think something is going happen.

Food for thought.

pseudonominus on February 23, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Hey. All the old-times I know think something is going happen.

Food for thought.

pseudonominus on February 23, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Like the name. Agreed plus most of the old timers I know are planning to MAKE something happen. They’re tough, smart, been through a ton of hard times and they see Obama for what he is.

kooziegirl on February 23, 2009 at 10:47 AM

You better believe the Buba effect. It was right on. Citizens defending the constitution against a government run amok. The process has already begun. Just look a gun sales and ammo sales. Self reliant American can only be pushed so far.

saiga on February 23, 2009 at 10:55 AM

saiga on February 23, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Agreed. The Bubba effect was a critical factor in ensuring our independence. Read Born Fighting by James Webb about the Scots-Irish. The old timers around here quote the bill of rights (especially Article 12), the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution in daily conversations. They will not go quietly into the night.

BTW most people use Bubba perjoratively and dont have a clue about its origin. “Bubba” was an affectionate term for ‘brother’ in the south.

Bill of Rights:

The conventions of a number of the States having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added.

Article the first [Not Ratified]

After the first enumeration required by the first article of the Constitution, there shall be one Representative for every thirty thousand, until the number shall amount to one hundred, after which the proportion shall be so regulated by Congress, that there shall be not less than one hundred Representatives, nor less than one Representative for every forty thousand persons, until the number of Representatives shall amount to two hundred; after which the proportion shall be so regulated by Congress, that there shall not be less than two hundred Representatives, nor more than one Representative for every fifty thousand persons.

Article the second [Amendment XXVII - Ratified 1992]

No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.

Article the third [Amendment I]

Article the fourth [Amendment II][4]

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Article the fifth [Amendment III]

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Article the sixth [Amendment IV]

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Article the seventh [Amendment V]

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Article the eighth [Amendment VI]

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Article the ninth [Amendment VII]

In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Article the tenth [Amendment VIII]

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Article the eleventh [Amendment IX]

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Article the twelfth [Amendment X]

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

kooziegirl on February 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM

How can a person go back to a place he/she has never been?

baldilocks on February 22, 2009 at 9:46 PM

You’re right. That’s why I get irritated with the still calling themselves “african-americans”…

I wan’t able to get FNC when was in Ca., so I missed out on a lot. I can’t stand CNN or ObaMSNBC. I didn’t find Beck until about a year ago, and I’ve always liked him. I like listening to him because I feel like he’s with me…kind of. It’s the same reason I listen to Rush, I feel like I’m not alone. But seeing as I can post here now, I feel like there’s still hope left. Unless Obama changes the the meaning of what “hope” means.

roopster217 on February 23, 2009 at 12:42 PM

My question is this: Did Glenn paint too rosy a picture? For example, Glenn pointed to the stock market dropping from the current 7000 to 3000 by the year 2014. Why will it take 5 years fro the stock market drop about 50%? It already lost half its value when it dropped from roughly 14000 to 7000 in less than a year. I say we hit most of the checklist for financial/world meltdown by 2011. 2012 at the latest.

chicagojedi on February 23, 2009 at 2:08 PM