And the winner is …

posted at 6:22 pm on February 21, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The Academy Awards will air tomorrow, and the nominees wait on pins and needles to see whether they will get an opportunity to make really stupid political speeches or will have to smile while someone else gets the opportunity.  The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences treats the vote very seriously; supposedly no one knows the actual results except two partners at PriceWaterhouseCoopers, the accounting firm that handles the ballots for AMPAS.

However, one radio station has published what it purports (or at least suggests) is an internal memo from AMPAS President Sid Ganis to fellow AMPAS officers listing the winners in advance, sent to me by HA reader Gregory H.  WBAL (Maryland) host Shari Elliker has a scan of the purported memo on the site, with this description:

Is it a hoax? Is it for real? Match the winners to your projections and see if this list is accurate on Sunday night’s ceremony.

WARNING: these are spoilers and may or may not be true, WBAL takes no responsibility for incorrect predictions.

It’s almost certainly a hoax.  The AMPAS rules are almost ubiquitous, parodied for years by Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show for his Carnac skits:

Final ballots will be mailed January 28 and members will have 20 days to return them. After ballots are tabulated, only two partners of the accounting firm will know the results until the famous envelopes are opened on stage during the Academy Awards presentation at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center® on February 22.

Sid Ganis wouldn’t have access to the winners, under those conditions.  The memo itself also looks a little suspicious, with a cheap-looking letterhead and no footer as one would normally see on first-class corporate stationery.  It’s not impossible that it’s AMPAS letterhead, but it’s very unlikely.  It does have the correct number of categories (24) and realistic winners, but it’s not that hard for someone to build a list from the media reports and simply guess the winners.

Most damning, WBAL never mentions how it received the memo.  It’s the TANG memos all over again.  Did Lucy Ramirez send it to them?

My verdict: mediocre hoax.  I’m not going to mention who wins in the memo; if you’re interested, check the link.

Update: Not many people here care who wins an Oscar, but my point is more that WBAL should have refrained from posting the memo without checking it out a little better.

Update II: If you haven’t seen any of the nominated films, Chad Vader re-enacts them for you:

Yeah, I haven’t seen The Reader, either.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I don’t watch any Hollywood pat each other on the back program and could really care less what those kooks do or think.

RobertJ78704 on February 21, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Just trying to drum up viewers. I don’t go to the movies and haven’t watched the show since I was in my teens.

Connie on February 21, 2009 at 10:47 PM

I have not watched the “Oscars” for years. Why would I start now? They nominate their “art” films with a message (left leaning of course) that I have no use for. Of the 25 movies nominated for best picture during the last 5 I have seen maybe 3 of them. They don’t nominate movies that I like, they don’t nominate actors that I think should win (with a few exceptions, maybe they even won), so why should I care who wins.

It’s meaningless anyway. They vote among themselves for themselves, patting themselves on the back. The real awards show is the “Peoples Choice Awards”.

Power to the People.

LurP on February 21, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Until they do a remake of CITZEN KANE about the corruptions of the publisher of the NY TIMES, I’ll save my popcorn for classic DVD’s.

profitsbeard on February 21, 2009 at 11:39 PM

I haven’t read any of the comments, so excuse me if I’m the 104th person to note this: I give a rat’s patut about this orgy of leftist self-importance and waste.

This event ranks – in my calculus – as the single most overrated annual farce on earth, immeasurably worse than the Super Bowl.

Jaibones on February 21, 2009 at 11:46 PM

It’s a hoax, and it’s also a ploy to get sucka’s to watch the stupid show. >:p

Haven’t watched the AAs since the ’70s, when I actually cared about the kind of movies H-Wood had to offer, and didn’t even know they were on tomorrow until I read it on Drudge.

TeeDee on February 22, 2009 at 12:07 AM

profitsbeard on February 21, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Indeed. Btw, I took a class a few years ago, “Film as art”, and that was one of the movies we viewed and discussed/wrote about. It was a great class, just for fun. Most all movies were in black and white, the real good ones.

Entelechy on February 22, 2009 at 12:09 AM

William Amos on February 21, 2009 at 7:57 PM
TheBigOldDog on February 21, 2009 at 7:58 PM
Thanks everyone I guess I’ll try it again.

FontanaConservative on February 22, 2009 at 12:17 AM

I nominate this again as the most consumed this year. All it takes is a teaspoon of hope and a cup of change to add to it.

FontanaConservative on February 22, 2009 at 12:26 AM

I, too, must confess that even the thought of watching Hollywood so-called celebrities telling each other how wonderful and universally important they are during a contrived and rigged ceremony makes me want to projectile vomit. The worn soles of my favorite old shoes have a higher intellect and serve a higher purpose.

If I’m going to live out my unworthy and meaningless existence on this putrid planet vicariously through some other peoples exciting and ultra-important lives, I choose police officers, firefighters, doctors, scientists, our military men & women, and astronauts!

Screw Hollyweird and its very existence.

Dhurka Dhurka on February 22, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Call me crazy,but,it looks like the left eye is closed on
the oscar,in the picture,

doctored?

It looks like the ‘SarahCuda Wink’!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on February 22, 2009 at 12:54 AM

I haven’t watched the Academy Awards in over twenty years. I have usually found more important, fulfilling things to do, like, read a book, pet the cat, play with the grandchildren. You know, the really important things. It is too bad they left us to promote an ideology that is foreign to goodness, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

DL13 on February 22, 2009 at 1:16 AM

“but my point is more that WBAL should have refrained from posting the memo without checking it out a little better.”

I can’t believe you said that, much less that you believe it/

checking facts? Really? And risk being scooped?

Get real.

lsheldon on February 22, 2009 at 2:03 AM

This was obviously done by someone trying to screw with the odds.

Ronnie on February 22, 2009 at 2:13 AM

The Oscars are a joke, nothing but a thinly-disguised popularity contest, and have been for years. They’re about as meaningless as the Grammys.

Cylor on February 22, 2009 at 3:28 AM

They’re about as meaningless as the Grammys.

I stopped watching the Grammys a long time ago. In 1994, when Frank Sinatra rambled on a bit while accepting his Grammy Legend Award, the producers infamously cut to commercial when he was still in mid-sentence.

eaglescout1998 on February 22, 2009 at 5:51 AM

It has been years since I watched the oscars and won’t be tonight.

OmahaConservative on February 22, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Yawn…

‘Hey watch me while I pat myself on the back’

No thanks…

It’s been probably 20 years since I watched any of these award shows, what’s the point?.

Sprockett on February 22, 2009 at 8:10 AM

For details on Academy Award winners, please tune into the “Who Gives a Shit” channel on Sirius/XM.

Wow.

RWLA on February 22, 2009 at 8:39 AM

I don’t care about the Oscars.

I just wanted to help keep your comments up, Ed. Its cheaper than donating anyway…

bluelightbrigade on February 22, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Minor outrage that this might or might not be a hoax. Perhaps the CIA should have the same system of secrecy as the Oscars. Anyone think the NY Times would reveal the Oscar winners if they had the scoop?

genso on February 22, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Thanks for the laugh.

Hollywood has issues.

Aronne on February 22, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Any money bet this year’s Oscars will have the lowest ratings in celebutardom history?

RepubChica on February 22, 2009 at 9:48 AM

That’s so bogus……. FACT
No one associated with the Academy or the broadcast knows until the envelope is opens on stage.

Only two accountants know who have won. Price Waterhouse & Co. sends and receives the ballots.
2 employees counts and verify’s the ballots authenticity. A calligrapher has already filled the names of all nominations on pre-printed envelopes.
The Accountants then seal only the winners envelope and puts it in a briefcase. They hand each category’s sealed envelope to the presenter only moments before walking out on stage.

It’s more secure than our nuke launch codes.

The winners names are more secure than

woogs on February 22, 2009 at 9:56 AM

I wont watch this either. All they will do is praise Obama over and over. blah

becki51758 on February 22, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Who cares? Not me. I think I’ll be washing my socks this evening. At least I will be able to actually check off something on my “to do” list.
Now that all of Hollywood has come out of the closet and admitted unabashedly that they are total idiots, not supporting them by going to their drivel is very uplifting. Wonder how long it will be until Hollywood’s money runs out?

BetseyRoss on February 22, 2009 at 10:19 AM

That’s so bogus……. FACT

woogs on February 22, 2009 at 9:56 AM

I don’t doubt that what you say about the process is true, but it is hard to explain then why two years ago they had Steven Spielberg, Francis Ford Coppola, and George Lucas all presenting the award for Best Director which their good friend Martin Scorcese just coincidentally happened to win.

Sure, maybe they were just guessing. But really, would they have had all three of those guys presenting if they didn’t know ahead of time that Scorcese was going to win? Come on, now.

Mibrilane on February 22, 2009 at 10:32 AM

My oscar predictions:

1. 90% of the chicks walking up the red carpet will look like skanks from prostitution row.
2. brangelina will win (and who cares?).
3. the number of radical left speeches will be unprecedented.
4. “best song” will probably be some “crap rap” ditty.
5. at least a couple of skanks will be wearing obama’s likeness on their slutty looking dresses.
6. several hollyweirdos will be wearing their orange bracelets (again) to howl against the poor, innocent creatures being tortured in Guantanomo.
7. viewership ratings will be the worst in history (and who cares?).
8. I will be playing with my kids and going to bed early.

There you go!

ErinF on February 22, 2009 at 10:44 AM

I wonder if Gary Sinise and Jon Voight stomach going to these things anymore. They’re my two favorite actors, mainly because of their pro-American stances. If they have to go to these self-love-fests, it must be gut-wrenching for them to have to sit there and listen to the drivel.

ErinF on February 22, 2009 at 10:51 AM

“Accountants then seal only the winners envelope…”

And the losers’ papers go to the lunchroom reading rack — process of elimination.

CaveatEmpty on February 22, 2009 at 11:28 AM

lowest ratings eveh.

ExTex on February 22, 2009 at 11:46 AM

If you are inclined to enjoy watching idiotic lemmings being idiotic lemmings, then you must be a idiotic lemming. This presentation just might be the highlight of your life.

volsense on February 22, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Sean Penn and Milk will probably win Oscars because Penn’s fater, Leo, was a communist Jew who appeased the Nazis when they were commiting genocide on the Jews. Leo was a devout communist and Sean is just like his father. That is considered an asset in the anti-American environment, like Hollywood, that spawns hatred of human values.

volsense on February 22, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Ho, hum on the Oscars. Boo, hiss on journalistic integrity. Hoo-ray for bloggers who expose the hype.

AH_C on February 22, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Oscar what? Anyone have an idea what these are? Are they some Gangsta-Rap Crap group? The best movies of the year? Nah, if that were true then we would be getting good movies, Right? Please tell me, is this a joke?

DL13 on February 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM

And the Oscar goes to? Who Gives A Rat’s.

Starring overpaid poulet merde narcissists.

Teddy on February 22, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Sean Penn and ‘Milk’ will ‘win’ Best Actor and Best Movie. The former for his father’s Jewish/Communist background and the latter since the voting community is heavily ‘diversified’.

Of course, Americans with two or more neurons actually functioning and communicating with each other will find something else to do besides watching this Leftist Love Fest.

SeniorD on February 22, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Hey, isn’t that Oscar Statue the thing the Scientologists worship?

Isn’t there a 60 foot version of it in some cave in Nevada?

Montana on February 22, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Oscar the Grouch is pretty cool though.

Montana on February 22, 2009 at 3:28 PM

DL13 on February 22, 2009 at 1:16 AM

You forgot one thing to do instead of watch the Oscars:

Cut your toenails then get down on your hands and knees to look for the bits that got away.

Montana on February 22, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Montana on February 22, 2009 at 3:28 PM
Don’t forget Oscar Meyer :D

FontanaConservative on February 22, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Don’t forget Oscar Meyer :D

FontanaConservative on February 22, 2009 at 3:47 PM

“My bologna has a first name…”

We Hijacked Ed’s post. Allahu Oscar!! Allahu Oscar!!

Montana on February 22, 2009 at 3:53 PM

What gets me about the Oscars this time around is that all the Best Picture nominations are for films that hardly anyone saw or just didn’t give sheets in the wind about.

Virtually all the films shown last year that were huge well-made/well-acted box office hits like “The Dark Knight” and “Gran Torino” didn’t even get recognized. Instead, the Academy decided, for whatever insane reason, to go with nominating artsie-fartsie political message box office flops like “Milk” and “Nixon/Frost”, or loopy loony epics like “Benjamin Button” and “Slumdog Millionaire”.

It is like we have come a long way from when huge megahits like “Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King” and “Titanic” won almost every major award.

And the Motion Picture Association of America is wondering why people are not going to movies as much as they used to?

pilamaye on February 22, 2009 at 6:02 PM

pffft. Who even cares. When they take Hollywood and use it as a political platform, they sell themselves out of seeing any of my money.

johnnyU on February 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Hah! Check out Newsbusters today guys…or everyday for that matter.

Noel Sheppard has a juicy piece up about the flopping Oscars.

Here is a the closer:

“One new idea thought up by the producers that will be seen Sunday? Trophy boys. The result is that very handsome young men will now join very beautiful young women on stage carrying out the Oscar statuettes. If that’s not an acknowledgement that viewership for the Academy Awards these days is limited to only females and gays, I don’t know what is.”

Montana on February 22, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Real Oscars:

Roland Burris in I Ain’t Done Nothing Wrong

Barack Obama in I Won So I Trump You

Tim Geithner in Dems Don’t Pay Taxes

Energy Sec Chu in I Haven’t Got A Clue

Barack Obama in Pay No Attention To Rush

ACORN in How To Steal Your House Back

Nancy Pelosi in The Pope Loves Me

Barney, Dodd, Rangel in Crooks & Liars, Part II

TN Mom on February 22, 2009 at 11:26 PM

ACORN in How To Steal Your House Back

LOL.

I didn’t waste a single electron of my house power watching any of it.

johnnyU on February 23, 2009 at 4:15 AM

My daughter had a volleyball tournament yesterday (won)…then my son had a playoff hockey game (lost)…then the Blackhawks were on. All more important than a bunch of self important whores of both gender who play dress up for a living.

BTW on this morning’s news they showed clips of it. Who was the homo in the tux dancing around singing?

Yeow.

LtE126 on February 23, 2009 at 8:13 AM

No interest in the oscars.

dogsoldier on February 23, 2009 at 9:14 AM