Video: The latest NAFTA dance

posted at 4:05 pm on February 20, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I’ve been playing around with a couple of videos that spotlight the rather amazing shift in Barack Obama’s NAFTA stance since debating Hillary Clinton almost exactly a year ago. Rather than put it in an update to the earlier post, I decided to let this roll on its own. In the first part, we see Obama’s response at his Canadian press conference with Prime Minister Stephen Harper, declaiming against the danger of sending “signals of protectionism,” when a year ago he practically set the stage on fire to send smoke signals that could be seen from Mexico City and Ottawa:

But this really doesn’t capture the full measure of dishonesty in Obama’s NAFTA Dance. In that debate on February 26th, 2008, Obama slammed Hillary Clinton for not being extreme enough in demanding unilateral changes or withdrawal from NAFTA:

SEN. OBAMA: I will make sure that we renegotiate, in the same way that Senator Clinton talked about. And I think actually Senator Clinton’s answer on this one is right. I think we should use the hammer of a potential opt-out as leverage to ensure that we actually get labor and environmental standards that are enforced. And that is not what has been happening so far.

That is something that I have been consistent about. I have to say, Tim, with respect to my position on this, when I ran for the United States Senate, the Chicago Tribune, which was adamantly pro-NAFTA, noted that, in their endorsement of me, they were endorsing me despite my strong opposition to NAFTA.

Renegotiation in six months? Words.  Just words.  I’m happy this pledge has hit its expiration date, but the people who actually swallowed this populist claptrap may have a different opinion.

Comments

He is making a fool and suckers out of every liberal who believed him…suckaaaassss

right2bright on February 20, 2009 at 4:09 PM

How embarrassing that he represents our great country.

ctmom on February 20, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Obama is a mouth breathing idiot. It is actually painful to wach him talk without his telepromper. Ugh.

VolMagic on February 20, 2009 at 4:11 PM

This particular populist claptrap brought Obama a whole lot of Ohio votes. Hopefully it won’t next time around.

myrenovations on February 20, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Flip Flop. Why doesn’t the press seem fond of those words anymore?

DrStock on February 20, 2009 at 4:12 PM

“Ummmm…..uhhhh……to those that vote for Me, sorry, chump, uhhhhhh, suckas.”

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 20, 2009 at 4:13 PM

This is what happens when you have an unprincipled leader. He tells everyone what they want to hear, then slowly waffles into making a bad decision.

Kenrod on February 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM

N.N.N.N.A.A.A.A.F.F.F.F.T.T.T.T.A.A.A.A NAFTA Dance
We can dance if we want to
We can screw our nations economy
Cause if you don’t accept our rules and regs
Those nations are not friends of mine
I say, we can do what we want to
We got Obey to cover our behind
And we can act like we come from Chicago
An put the country in a bind
And we can Dance

WashJeff on February 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Ron Gettlefinger was unavailable for comment.

BacaDog on February 20, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Obama’s changes of heart are so extreme that calling him a flip-flopper is a gross insult to chronic flip-floppers.

technopeasant on February 20, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Russert’s dead (RIP) so anything Dear Leader said that night doesn’t count anymore.

rbj on February 20, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Good lord. You’d think he was grinding out linear questions in his head. Out comes honesty-free assurances that he was for NAFTA before he was against it, or something.

MadisonConservative on February 20, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Obama’s new words on NAFTA has an expiration date as well. I don’t trust anything Obama says.

jencab on February 20, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I miss Tim Russert. Sunday mornings will never be the same again.

LASue on February 20, 2009 at 4:24 PM

What’s really getting fun is watching the libs & Dims contorting themselves trying to defend this guy. It’s like an evil game of “Twister.” Once ya start ya can’t quit. I’ve got my Don’t Blame Me…I Voted For McCain” bumper sticker out and ready to go.

sdd on February 20, 2009 at 4:26 PM

You could almost feel all of Canada doing a double take and letting out a collective WTF when Obama lectured them about the dangers of protectionism.

I’m sure he’ll find a way to say this is all “consistent” with his previous proclamations on the subject, his favorite word whenever he shifts sides of the fence.

redfoxbluestate on February 20, 2009 at 4:26 PM

the kool aid gang, or Ghoul aid gang as i like to call them, doesn’t seem to mind the flip flops. i think they will let him do or say whatever the wants because they are still clinging to the idea that a huge box filled with rainbows, unicorns, and free gas cards will be showing up on their doorstop any day.

Ghoul aid on February 20, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Too bad Ogabe’s “I Won” statement doesn’t have a six month expiration date.

Bishop on February 20, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Look at what has been done so far and now imagine the amount of damage to this country that this walking, talking clown machine will do in the next three years and eleven months — assuming he doesn’t make himself president for life before then. This is going to be the greatest test this nation has ever faced — and we may not survive it.

johnsteele on February 20, 2009 at 4:40 PM

You Decide

HotAir doesn’t have a www.

Tzetzes on February 20, 2009 at 4:42 PM

N.N.N.N.A.A.A.A.F.F.F.F.T.T.T.T.A.A.A.A NAFTA Dance
We can dance if we want to
We can screw our nations economy
Cause if you don’t accept our rules and regs
Those nations are not friends of mine
I say, we can do what we want to
We got Obey to cover our behind
And we can act like we come from Chicago
An put the country in a bind
And we can Dance

WashJeff on February 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM

You win. Where can I buy the CD?

portlandon on February 20, 2009 at 4:50 PM

right2bright on February 20, 2009 at 4:09 PM

It doesn’t matter, once a believer always a believer. According to another thread he has replaced Jesus as the new #1 hero in the country. I really hope this is a fluke of history and does not really reflect the state of the American population.

neuquenguy on February 20, 2009 at 4:59 PM

This is what happens when you have a unprincipled Zero Experience leader. He tells everyone what they want to hear, then slowly often waffles into making a very bad decision.
Kenrod on February 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Flip Flop in Chief.

So, that’s what he meant by Change!

TN Mom on February 20, 2009 at 5:03 PM

The man is clearly in way over his head.

Corky on February 20, 2009 at 5:17 PM

He’s just roaming for a coherent thought.

PappaMac on February 20, 2009 at 5:18 PM

MadisonConservative on February 20, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Honesty-free assurances. Heh.

Jaibones on February 20, 2009 at 5:40 PM

He’s just roaming for a coherent thought.

PappaMac on February 20, 2009 at 5:18 PM

And the coherent thought ran away . . .

Coherent thoughts are smart that way. Can you imagine a coherent thought working its way down to Obama’s lips and still coming out coherent?

RickZ on February 20, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I keep saying he’s stupid because the only other choice available is that he’s the single most deceitful politician of our time, and that would include the legendary liar Bill Clinton.

And I am not sure I know what to do if that’s the case. And that would seem to be the case.

Jaibones on February 20, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Honesty-free assurances

honesty-free government from honesty-free politicians.
honesty-free aka truth free journalism reports on the honesty-free government and politicians.

why do i feel like nothing but a total clusterfark will ever occur in our honesty-free dealings with the democrat party.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on February 20, 2009 at 6:27 PM

OK I want to see the show of hands of everyone who at the beginning of 2007 who would have said that Hillary Clinton would be the most honest candidate in the Democrat primary? She lied her ass off and she was still more honest then this bozo.

Jdripper on February 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Honestly, Barak is hurting the opportunity for any other black man to hold the office. What a clown!

jbh45 on February 20, 2009 at 7:01 PM

…but the people who actually swallowed this populist claptrap may have a different opinion.

Ah, Ed, such innocence! No wants to admit to swallowing a sh*t sandwich, so they’ll continue to marvel at how good it tastes. At least for a little while…

karl9000 on February 20, 2009 at 7:18 PM

As someone said over on the YouTube comments, check out Obama’s Elf, and it will make it (mostly) all better

intricate3 on February 20, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Do you really think those who voted for the One had any clue what he was talking about. Their vote was from their glands not their brain or intellect.

wepeople on February 20, 2009 at 10:15 PM

I can’t stand him, but I do wish that I could at least respect him for something. So far… there’s nothing.

herrevery on February 21, 2009 at 1:26 AM