Sweet: Jindal rejects $98 million in stimulus money for Louisiana

posted at 8:30 pm on February 20, 2009 by Allahpundit

In one fell swoop, he’s stolen Sanford’s thunder as stimulus critic-in-chief. Risky, but I like it.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal announced Friday that he will decline stimulus money specifically targeted at expanding state unemployment insurance coverage, becoming the first state executive to officially refuse any part of the federal government’s payout to states…

“The federal money in this bill will run out in less than three years for this benefit and our businesses would then be stuck paying the bill,” Jindal said. “We must be careful and thoughtful as we examine all the strings attached to the funding in this package. We cannot grow government in an unsustainable way.”

NOLA says he’ll accept cash for transportation infrastructure and a modest increase in unemployment benefits but drew the line at unemployment insurance lest it mean a $12 million tax hike for Louisiana businesses three years from now. Needless to say, he’s out of the gate quickly on this for two reasons: to give him fiscal conservative bragging rights vis-a-vis Palin and the rest of the GOP’s rising stars, and of course to give the weekend talk shows a chance to buzz about him before his rebuttal to The One’s State of the Union on Tuesday night. The left will naturally hammer him for hating the poor — or, per Jim Clyburn, black people — but by framing it as a savings to businesses he can sell it as something that’ll produce more employment in the long run. Exit question: Good move or no?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

As a Louisiana resident I have the right to speak to this. Gov. Jindal is absolutely right in doing this. We don’t want to change our state laws to accomodate this spending bill. Who pays when the federal money is gone. WE DO, and our governor is thinking ahead. Thank you Bobby Jindal.

hilchar on February 23, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Awesome. I wish our gov Hoeven of ND would do this.
It’s whore $$. Plain & simple.
Title $$ for school is the same kind of whore $$.
You are left holding the bag, even when you do play by the govt’s rules.
The $$ waste complying to non-senical fed rules outweighs the $$ they give.

Badger40 on February 23, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I think the argument some have made here like getalife & DeathtoMediaHacks about if LA doesn’t use it, then some other state will get it & use it.
So what?
Right is right. There was a time in my life I could have milked the welfare system as a single mother all I wanted.
I didn’t. I could have. But I didn’t. Bcs it wasn’t right.
And I wanted to provide for my family, not have the govt do it.
There are times when people need assistance. Many of these times are not needed. People just want it.
Instead of doing without their cable TV, soda pop, cigarettes, movie going etc, they went on welfare.
They used their food stamps/EBT cards to buy chips & ice cream when they should have been buying staples.
So just bcs you can get something for free doesn’t mean you should.

Badger40 on February 23, 2009 at 12:02 PM

I think Jindal is great and Palin too. I’m sure there are others, BUT when it comes time to put forth candidates for 2012, I think the GOP have those candidates vetted up one side and down the other. I think the GOP needs to establish who the front runner (or two) will be because those people are PERFECTLY aligned with the GOP’s mission. We end up with ~10 candidates like we had for 2008 and the media will divide and conquer. If there’s dirt on a candidate, the GOP committee needs to know well before that person decides to run and then they should be discourgaged. We don’t have time to pussy-foot around.

Oink on February 23, 2009 at 3:05 PM

If the exorcism thing is the best thing that the Left can throw at Jindal, they’re in trouble.

HuskerNate on February 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM

So just bcs you can get something for free doesn’t mean you should.

Badger40 on February 23, 2009 at 12:02 PM

The liberals you identified, are just used to feeding at the trough of life…

right2bright on February 23, 2009 at 3:52 PM

right2bright on February 23, 2009 at 3:52 PM

*SIGH*
It’s really hard to separate a beast from its food.
Especially if it is a BIG beast.

Badger40 on February 23, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Those who buy into the conventional “wisdom” about the Cuda must be getting all of their info distilled through the lens of the MSM. I’d invite all who fall into this category to go read Conservatives4Palin, or Team Sarah, or Sarah’s Full Court Press, or some of the other blogs out there dedicated to disseminating ACCURATE information about the governor and her record. I think you will find the picture you have of her is quite distorted.

Palin 2012

NoLeftTurn on February 21, 2009 at 3:40 PM

My biggest concern is that the press has Dan Quayled her. Dan Quayle wasn’t stupid at all, in fact he was much better than Bush 1, but the press was ruthless to him (his Murphy Brown dispute didn’t help, right though it was). They painted her as a dumb hick who follows a weird religion, can she overcome that? By 2012, will it matter?

Ann NY on February 24, 2009 at 8:16 AM