Helen Thomas: We’re all terrorists

posted at 6:05 pm on February 20, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

All right, Hot Air denizens. If this thread doesn’t have 500 comments by midnight, I’m going to post another Good at Cooking with Andy segment this weekend. My friend from the Left, Tommy Christopher, got a chance to talk with Helen Thomas at the White House today after she referred to our enemies in Afghanistan and Pakistan as “so-called terrorists”. Helen likes Tommy, so she had no reservations about going with the Full Moral Equivalence argument:

TOMMY: All right Helen, when you asked the President about Afghanistan and Pakistan during the press conference, you said, “so-called terrorists”. You want to explain why you say “so-called terrorists”?

THOMAS: Because some people think they’re freedom fighters. They are in their own country, and we could dub them as terrorists, but … and their tactics are terrible, but so are ours. We dropped bombs on people in Iraq, people who did nothing to us.

TOMMY: So would you say that it’s for the sake of intellectual honesty?

THOMAS: [NODDING] I say we need it.

Caleb Howe, a conservative at Red State who partners with Tommy on projects and events, chalks this up to Thomas’ liberalism, but I think that lets her off the hook. Plenty of liberals don’t buy into the nutty moral equivalency of terrorists who target civilians for political purposes and the people who fight the terrorists hiding among the civilians. Mostly that comes from the lunatic Left, the International ANSWER and World Can’t Wait quasi-Stalinists and terrorist apologists.  I’d include Michael Moore, who argued that al-Qaeda in Iraq were the modern-day equivalents to the Minutemen of the American Revolution, who also made their argument by blowing up carriages with huge bombs buried in the streets and beheaded civilian engineers that they kidnapped from the British … at least according to Moore.

Beyond that, Thomas doesn’t even pay attention to the issues.  The Taliban in Pakistan cross the border into Afghanistan to fight the government and NATO; they are primarily Pakistanis, not Afghans.  Osama bin Laden is neither — he’s a Saudi of Yemeni descent who runs a network of mostly foreign fighters comprising Uighers, Uzbeks, Chechens, and Arabs out of the FATA, and who by the way attacked the US on 9/11 and not any of the aforementioned countries.  “Their own country” is as ignorant as it gets.

So what do Hot Air readers find more objectionable — the actual statement from Thomas, or the condescending manner in which she explained it to Tommy?  I’d say six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Update: Look, I know you are all having a lot of fun picking on Thomas’ looks, but believe me, if someone told me I’d be doing this at 88 with my own seat at the White House briefing room, I wouldn’t really care what I looked like as long as I was still breathing.

Update II, 12:11 am: Mission accomplished — no Good at Cooking with Andy this weekend.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

JudetheFossil on February 20, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Dude, I’m no fan, but Helen Thomas’ mind has nothing on Paris Hilton’s area you named. You can have a lot more fun in Paris as they say. Helen’s mind is likely a radioactive sludge pit..hmm..ok, I actually just validated your comparison; nevermind.

Ed, a conservative version of Helen Thomas wouldn’t live to 88 years old in the White House Press pool. Somebody would throw you down a flight of stairs once you were old enough not to fight back. They tolerate Helen because she can get away with spewing the nastiness that passes for left wing dogma. Oh, she’s just old and cantankerous. No, she’s a craven, black hearted, leftwing b*tch.

austinnelly on February 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Where’s the obligatory Bela Lugosi comment?

Laura in Maryland on February 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Almost to 500, so let me pitch in.

Thomas is a walking and breathing example of those stay firmly on the sidelines. Nothing but a “talker”. If she’s in the company of terrorists now, why doesn’t she go elsewhere? Because she wouldn’t have the standard of living she has now just being a nutty thorn in the side of those that are forced to deal with her. In some country’s she would be dealt with quite harshly, especially those she defends.

So view what she say’s through that prism.

Hog Wild on February 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Laura in Maryland on February 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM

I think ya just covered it.

coldwarrior on February 20, 2009 at 11:22 PM

austinnelly on February 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM

You don’t have to hold back, you’re among friends here.

Laura in Maryland on February 20, 2009 at 11:22 PM

OmahaConservative on February 20, 2009 at 11:20 PM

HUSKER nation!

jbh45 on February 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Osborne.

OmahaConservative on February 20, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Solich

jbh45 on February 20, 2009 at 11:23 PM

coldwarrior on February 20, 2009 at 11:22 PM

We’re getting close to the witching hour (pardon the expression). Do you want to take odds or evens?

Laura in Maryland on February 20, 2009 at 11:24 PM

jbh45 on February 20, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Yep

OmahaConservative on February 20, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Callahan? Uh no.

jbh45 on February 20, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Thomas is a hag.

OmahaConservative on February 20, 2009 at 11:24 PM

I still think the best tactic against Islamic martyrdom is to air-drop leaflets with photos of Helen Thomas and the following statement in Arabic: “Here’s what your virgins look like that await you.”

jediwebdude on February 20, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Callahan & WC sux

OmahaConservative on February 20, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Solich

jbh45 on February 20, 2009 at 11:23 PM

As a Russophone, myself, as regards Helen Thomas, didn’t you mean svolich?

coldwarrior on February 20, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Thomas is like Colorado Bufs to Husker nation.

jbh45 on February 20, 2009 at 11:25 PM

504!

coldwarrior on February 20, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Can we got to bed yet? Individually, I mean :p

Fortunata on February 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM

I’ll have to resort to my memory of In Living Color.

Helen’s teeth so yellow, if you smack the B!tch, she’ll spit butter.

Laura in Maryland on February 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM

505, but some of my comments had to do with Big 12 football…

jbh45 on February 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM

*go to* sorry

Fortunata on February 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Are you sure that’s a woman, and not a muppet?

BobMbx on February 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM

g’night

OmahaConservative on February 20, 2009 at 11:29 PM

For you OmahaConservative:

Thomas is like Colorado Bufs to Husker nation.

jbh45 on February 20, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Why? Because whenever Thomas speaks you just want to kick her arse.

jbh45 on February 20, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Laura in Maryland on February 20, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Before this bewitching hour becomes the wee bitching hour, I think I’ll call it a night.

coldwarrior on February 20, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Helen’s so stupid it takes her two hours to watch 60 minutes.

Laura in Maryland on February 20, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Helen’s so ugly that when she sits in the sand, the cat tries to bury her.

Laura in Maryland on February 20, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Helen so old that when God said let there be light, she flipped on the switch.

Laura in Maryland on February 20, 2009 at 11:35 PM

HUSKER nation!

jbh45 on February 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM

As the Handle says Fight ON!!!

Fighton03 on February 20, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Laura in Maryland on February 20, 2009 at 11:35 PM

And then God said, “Ovey, that darkness, it ain’t so bad.”‘

coldwarrior on February 20, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Carter is really looking old and in need of a haircut.

Johan Klaus on February 20, 2009 at 11:42 PM

That woman is not the Ugliest, but very close to it. She hasn’t got a brain! I never liked that old shriveled up dry hag. What a true idiot she is. Maybe someone will throw her down the stairs! :)

sheebe on February 20, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Ho-ly Cow. What the hell is this woman still doing in the White House briefing room? Her ideology should complicate her security clearance. Why doesn’t it?

Amy Proctor on February 20, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Are you sure that’s a woman, and not a muppet?

BobMbx on February 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM

She does look like she should be starring in The Dark Chrystal II

Ampersand on February 20, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Helen’s so ugly that when she sits in the sand, the cat tries to bury her.

Laura in Maryland on February 20, 2009 at 11:34 PM

And every time the damned old hag manages to claw her way out somehow. Anybody got a backhoe?

FeralCat on February 20, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Helen?

Ampersand on February 20, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Government Waste Personified

GD on February 21, 2009 at 12:01 AM

I couldn’t bring myself to watch the video. Her face is a crime against humanity.

hicsuget on February 21, 2009 at 12:01 AM

This woman’s brain is incapable of dissecting any concept beyond the Sesame Street level. She has no ability to separate actions from intent, bad from good or innocent from devious.

It is stagnet minds like hers that allow evil to continue in the world while those with her opinions get to sit back and joy the fruits of american “terrorism”.

My daughter’s name is Helen. It’s a great, traditional, classic name. Ms. Thomas should be referred to as “Mr. It Thomas” from now on. She’s a sicko.

Amy Proctor on February 21, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Helen Thomas: We’re all terrorists

Helen Thomas is a classic example of how the dinosaurs survived for millions of years, with walnut-sized brains.

byteshredder on February 21, 2009 at 12:03 AM

FeralCat on February 20, 2009 at 11:54 PM

LOL!

…and a wooden stake, silver bullet, and crucifix with some holy water.

Laura in Maryland on February 21, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Should that front photo have a warning? (I’m sure someone has suggested this already.)

baldilocks on February 21, 2009 at 12:06 AM

It’s the only way to really have fun with this, as opposed to being livid.

Watching this cowardly imbecile call the murderers who shot my cousin, a true American hero, in the head…..”freedom fighters”….. and stain every brave man and woman who puts their life at risk to protect her sorry ass….Having this worthless waste of a human being who has never done a damned thing good for her country in her life, who has never sacrificed for any of the fortune and blessings that have come her way, who has devoted her entire existence not merely to disagreeing with, but demonizing and slandering her opposition…..Yeah, I think Helen Thomas would rather I stick to picking on her looks.

Hawkins1701 on February 21, 2009 at 12:08 AM

2,000!

Jim Treacher on February 20, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Heh. Let’s go for 3,000.

If MKH if very persuasive evidence, of Intelligent Design, what is Helen Thomas very persuasive evidence of?

soundingboard on February 21, 2009 at 12:30 AM

I can’t wait till she dies. The Founding Fathers must be sick to their stomach when they see her in a place of honor at the White House.

Seems she is immortal. If she is still alive and I ever become President, I swear I’ll have the SS (Secret Service) pick her up and toss her out on the street.

Tim Burton on February 21, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Helen of Troy, the woman who’s face launched ships.

Helen Thomas, the woman who’s face would sink a ship.

Murphy9 on February 21, 2009 at 12:36 AM

Every time I see that photo of Helen I think of Lon Chaney Sr. in a colorized version of the original Phantom of The Oprah, I mean Opera.

viking01 on February 21, 2009 at 12:42 AM

If any of you have a direct line to the grim reaper,,,Please tell him to quit slacking off and give a luv tap to this cadaver.

Seriously.I think that she’s lived a long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long
decrepid life that I’m sure she’s enjoyed to whatever lengths a witch can enjoy life…Its time to move on I think.

Handel on February 21, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Over 540?! Good Lord…how many different ways can you say how hideous this woman is?

Emily M. on February 21, 2009 at 12:48 AM

How many ways?

Helen will be starring in a George Romero’s next film.

She gives Freddy Krueger nightmares.

The Prince of Darkness sleeps with a night light on when Helen is in town.

Her age data says “Young as the Hills.”

viking01 on February 21, 2009 at 12:54 AM

viking01 on February 21, 2009 at 12:54 AM

When she was born the Dead Sea was still just sick.

soundingboard on February 21, 2009 at 12:58 AM

i

Hawkins1701 on February 21, 2009 at 12:08 AM

I grieve for you. She may have life, and she may have fortune, but the concept of sacred honor is foreign to her. I have too many family members who survived the Vietnam hell (and by that I refer to the crap our country put them through), I lived the life of an enlisted dependent through the 70′s and am now too old to be considered for enlistment (yes I checked). I know your cousin volunteered. I suspect he believed in the dream that was America, and for that I honor him. For that I honor you, his family who supported him in the things he believed in.

I personally find it disgusting that today these tools like Ms. Thomas think that believing in your dream is acceptable if they’re talking about American Idol, but not the USMC, USArmy, USAF, USN, or USCG (the coasties have pulled my azz out of some serious sh!t and I will ALWAYS respect them).
America is not a geographical region, it is an idea.

It is an idea that the INDIVIDUAL makes society better and not the other way around. Your cousin gave his life for that idea, and I will not let that idea go without a fight.

Fighton03 on February 21, 2009 at 1:03 AM

oundingboard on February 21, 2009 at 12:58 AM

LOL.

And PETA and GreenPeace still had an H.T. exclusion clause. And Scouts camping nearby were told they couldn’t leave her nicer than they found her.

viking01 on February 21, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Sorry about the missing s.

viking01 on February 21, 2009 at 1:06 AM

She’s so old, her birth certificate lists her birthplace as Pangea!

SuperCool on February 21, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Spock has a beard in your world, doesn’t he.

Ronnie on February 20, 2009 at 11:08 PM

gee, i’m sorry…the mainstream media is very intelligent. from now on, I’ll make sure and give them the respect you feel they deserve.

Metro on February 21, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Of Adam’s other rib Helen was the botched prototype.

viking01 on February 21, 2009 at 1:14 AM

The ugliness of her face pales in comparison with the ugliness of her mind.

jix on February 21, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Cruella De Vil, Cruella De Vil, is she doesn’t scare you, then what evil will? Okay, lame and childish, but I had to say it. :)

NathanG on February 21, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Some people should drown in sewage.

Certain cancerous growths which fester in the White House Press Corps. and have the initials H.T., for example, if I was being too vague.

Cylor on February 21, 2009 at 1:39 AM

I grieve for you. She may have life, and she may have fortune, but the concept of sacred honor is foreign to her. I have too many family members who survived the Vietnam hell (and by that I refer to the crap our country put them through), I lived the life of an enlisted dependent through the 70’s and am now too old to be considered for enlistment (yes I checked). I know your cousin volunteered. I suspect he believed in the dream that was America, and for that I honor him. For that I honor you, his family who supported him in the things he believed in.

America is not a geographical region, it is an idea.

Fighton03 on February 21, 2009 at 1:03 AM

Thank you, and God Bless.

Hawkins1701 on February 21, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Good Cooking with Andy? Since when could Andy cook?

Helen,

Bad men are killed because bad men need killing.

End of lecture.

Limerick on February 21, 2009 at 2:13 AM

PLEASE get the screencap of that hideous old muppet off HotAir’s front page. I can’t tell if you used Waldorf or Statler, but I’m about to blow chunks here!

Ed, you owe me 4 or 5 posts featuring MKH (or one Sarah Palin post that isn’t written by AP).

Dave Shay on February 21, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Part of why I’m a Trojan, Hawk…..Fight On!

Fighton03 on February 21, 2009 at 2:25 AM

Look, I know you are all having a lot of fun picking on Thomas’ looks

Holy crap, did someone open the ark of the covenant?

Couldnt help it :D

SnakeintheGrass on February 21, 2009 at 3:02 AM

Bashing her looks just makes us all look look foolish. Instead, let’s just concentrate on the nutty things she says.

SoulGlo on February 21, 2009 at 3:08 AM

don’t forget the ron paul nuts in your list of lying fools who spread this type of idiocy

jp on February 21, 2009 at 3:12 AM

SoulGlo on February 21, 2009 at 3:08 AM

Never argue with a fool, people will not be able to tell the difference. She’s a fool, and you give her too much credit. copncentrating on her idiocy just makes you look like an idiot. She is a vapid attention whore, worthy of nothing but our ridicule.

Fighton03 on February 21, 2009 at 3:28 AM

grrrr…too late and I type poorly…good night all!

Fighton03 on February 21, 2009 at 3:29 AM

SoulGlo on February 21, 2009 at 3:08 AM

No, I would rather bash her looks. Consider it R&R in the Obama occupation.

MB4 on February 21, 2009 at 3:38 AM

Fighton03 on February 21, 2009 at 3:28 AM

What he said.

MB4 on February 21, 2009 at 3:40 AM

Where’s the obligatory Bela Lugosi comment?

Laura in Maryland on February 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Where’s the obligatory, “I’d hit it” post?

Yecccchhhh……. just the thought……….

UltimateBob on February 21, 2009 at 4:19 AM

Bashing Helen Thomas’s very extremely advanced old age, and off the scale ugliness is fun but distracts from her real purpose in life, demonstrating that elders aren’t always right, that some are idiots, drooling or otherwise.

darktood on February 21, 2009 at 4:21 AM

Helen Thomas’s move to Palastine see the real
terrorist.The people of Palastine are the dam terrorist.
Look at the terrorist dogs that they are.They kill because they enjoy killing.Its the only thing they like to do.Its not about land.Its about the love of killing.Palastine pigs.

Denniscat on February 21, 2009 at 5:34 AM

AAAAA! Don’t post pics like that!

Coronagold on February 21, 2009 at 6:32 AM

I usually try to stay away from the obligatory swipes at one’s appearance and all. But what the hell….

She’s so old that when she went to school they didn’t have history.

OlympicLeprechaun on February 21, 2009 at 6:41 AM

This might actually be funny if moral lunatics like her were on the fringe. Instead they now comprise the base of the Democrat party.

OlympicLeprechaun on February 21, 2009 at 6:44 AM

I would like to show her ugly ass some terror so she’d know what it was next time she goes blowing off about how awful we are in the USA. Almost as bad as those bully Jews.

Venusian Visitor on February 21, 2009 at 6:45 AM

I know you are all having a lot of fun picking on Thomas’ looks

I don’t care for going after someone’s looks, except how they choose to represent themselves (pierce yourself into a human pin cushion and you’re fair game for comments). To me, it is petty, mean-spirited, and intellectually beneath us to mock something that is completely beyond a person’s control. Thomas could be a former Miss America, and it wouldn’t matter–her insides are uglier than any physical appearance could be.

DrMagnolias on February 21, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Where’s the obligatory, “I’d hit it” post?

define “hit it”

in fact neither definition would work for me

“deport it” would be good

“make it live in chador with the fascist, imperialist, woman/gay/Jew hating enemy that we are defending her against” would be good

merely “hitting it” would be a casual, transient luxury

uptight on February 21, 2009 at 7:48 AM

I want to see the economist chick. The fairness doctrine needs to be implemented at Hot Air. For every Helen Thomas, Joy Behar, etc post we need the economist chick, MM, Carpenter and /or Megyn clip (preferably and). Who’s with me?

Fuquay Steve on February 21, 2009 at 8:30 AM

I just accidentally knocked a bottle of cider vinegar out of the cupboard and it spilled everywhere. The stench reminded me of this thread and HT.

OmahaConservative on February 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM

“We’re all terrorists.”
So goes the headline from the UK.
School kids must present reports from terrorist perspective, “Why I Am A Suicide Bomber.”

Socialist empowerment.

maverick muse on February 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM

It’s the only way to really have fun with this, as opposed to being livid.

Hawkins1701 on February 21

You are absolutely right! Said perfectly!
This so called woman is a moron. And she is in the Washington press! She has been getting audiences with Presidents for centuries as her idiotic questions and blatherings encourage and sympathize with our enemies,,, those who have murdered countless hundreds of thousands,, beheaded hostages, tortured, mutilated women and children,, this walking dead of a woman in lipstick hails as freedom fighters… while she calls our soldiers terrorists!!
Not only should this senile terrorist sympathizer be banned from the DC press room,, she should be thrown out of journalism! She is not a journalist! She is just an advocate and sympathizer to murderers! You can dress her up, fill her up with embalming fluid and ensure, giver her a press pass and throw some lipstick on her but she is still just a terrorist sympathizer!!
You know,, ya have to wonder sometimes,,, how many normal Muslims out there were influenced,,,, to make that final decision to become a suicide bomber, to behead that hostage, to kidnap that tourist, to throw acid on that 6 year kid,,, had that little added influence because they had an American press encouraging them,,, rooting for them,, helping them to cross that line that they are not murdering terrorists but really just freedom fighters!

JellyToast on February 21, 2009 at 9:10 AM

This woman is the poster geezer for dementia research.

oldleprechaun on February 21, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Not too long ago her words would have been construed as treason.

OmahaConservative on February 21, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Helen Thomas must be inlate stage dementia. She would be challenged to not pee herself, much less make intelligent comments

ptylenda on February 21, 2009 at 9:18 AM

The Wicked Which still lives, where’s an affordable house when you need to fall from the sky?

MSGTAS on February 21, 2009 at 9:21 AM

And if we could really see with the eyes of God,, we would see that is not lipstick on her mouth,, but the blood of the innocent!
Harsh and obscene?? Not at all! Calling our soldiers terrorists is obscene and calling the murderers of hundreds of thousands,, if not the murderers of millions, freedom fighters, is the true obscenity!!

JellyToast on February 21, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Where’s the obligatory Bela Lugosi comment?

Laura in Maryland on February 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM

I’ve always thought she looks like the witch in Russian fairy tales, Baba Yaga.

Ann NY on February 21, 2009 at 9:26 AM

DrMagnolias on February 21, 2009 at 7:02 AM

But her inward ugliness only emphasizes her physical ugliness. I have met many a average looking person who were so charismatic that they transformed their looks. I’ve also met good looking people who were so empty that they became unappealing.

Ann NY on February 21, 2009 at 9:32 AM

She looks like the drawings of Jews in the Arab hate books.

Jaibones on February 21, 2009 at 9:35 AM

austinnelly on February 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM

I concur, in the most apologetic way of course! ;)

DanaSmiles on February 21, 2009 at 10:14 AM

I don’t know about the rest of you, but DUDE! was the first thing that came to mind when I clicked on HA this morning and saw Helen Thomas still at the top!

4shoes on February 21, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Domestic Terrorist Shoots His TV Dead
Arrested on Felony Charges

It is a felony to shoot your TV.

Walter Hoover, age 70, of Webb City, Mo. drank alcohol and shot his TV twice after his cable was cut off. His wife left the house to report the incident to the police who barricaded his home with the SWAT until he surrendered without incident. He was taken to the police station and booked on a felony count of unlawful use of a weapon. [See The Joplin Globe, local news.]

REVISIONISM
Then John Eggerton of Broadcasting & Cable picks up the news and rewrites it to be a 90-year-old Joplin, Mo. man who shot his TV blaming the transition to digital and frustration over the box he didn’t have that he couldn’t get to work (btw, the cable was shut off). And KARE-TV of Minneapolis-St.Paul carries the story about a drunk 90-year-old Missouri loser whose wife turned him in for shooting the cable-less TV.

REALITY CHECK
Was Mrs. Hoover without a telephone; had that been part of her cable package that the company disconnected? At least she was not bed ridden, having walked to the police station to report on her drunk husband who killed her TV. She won; she trumps.

This story had NOTHING to do with the transition from analog to digital TV. The “reporters” wove that into the story for whole cloth to pad their own interest. As political fodder, at least admit the frustration of the elderly correctly. You can’t live with or without a pension and afford a telephone (or cable) these days. How are the elderly supposed to call 911 in an emergency? America is sweeping them under the rug just like the French who all go on vacation at once in August leaving no one to respond.

maverick muse on February 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM

She’s still talking?

eanax on February 21, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I’d hit it.

With an institutionalization order.

Jim Treacher on February 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM