Helen Thomas: We’re all terrorists

posted at 6:05 pm on February 20, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

All right, Hot Air denizens. If this thread doesn’t have 500 comments by midnight, I’m going to post another Good at Cooking with Andy segment this weekend. My friend from the Left, Tommy Christopher, got a chance to talk with Helen Thomas at the White House today after she referred to our enemies in Afghanistan and Pakistan as “so-called terrorists”. Helen likes Tommy, so she had no reservations about going with the Full Moral Equivalence argument:

TOMMY: All right Helen, when you asked the President about Afghanistan and Pakistan during the press conference, you said, “so-called terrorists”. You want to explain why you say “so-called terrorists”?

THOMAS: Because some people think they’re freedom fighters. They are in their own country, and we could dub them as terrorists, but … and their tactics are terrible, but so are ours. We dropped bombs on people in Iraq, people who did nothing to us.

TOMMY: So would you say that it’s for the sake of intellectual honesty?

THOMAS: [NODDING] I say we need it.

Caleb Howe, a conservative at Red State who partners with Tommy on projects and events, chalks this up to Thomas’ liberalism, but I think that lets her off the hook. Plenty of liberals don’t buy into the nutty moral equivalency of terrorists who target civilians for political purposes and the people who fight the terrorists hiding among the civilians. Mostly that comes from the lunatic Left, the International ANSWER and World Can’t Wait quasi-Stalinists and terrorist apologists.  I’d include Michael Moore, who argued that al-Qaeda in Iraq were the modern-day equivalents to the Minutemen of the American Revolution, who also made their argument by blowing up carriages with huge bombs buried in the streets and beheaded civilian engineers that they kidnapped from the British … at least according to Moore.

Beyond that, Thomas doesn’t even pay attention to the issues.  The Taliban in Pakistan cross the border into Afghanistan to fight the government and NATO; they are primarily Pakistanis, not Afghans.  Osama bin Laden is neither — he’s a Saudi of Yemeni descent who runs a network of mostly foreign fighters comprising Uighers, Uzbeks, Chechens, and Arabs out of the FATA, and who by the way attacked the US on 9/11 and not any of the aforementioned countries.  “Their own country” is as ignorant as it gets.

So what do Hot Air readers find more objectionable — the actual statement from Thomas, or the condescending manner in which she explained it to Tommy?  I’d say six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Update: Look, I know you are all having a lot of fun picking on Thomas’ looks, but believe me, if someone told me I’d be doing this at 88 with my own seat at the White House briefing room, I wouldn’t really care what I looked like as long as I was still breathing.

Update II, 12:11 am: Mission accomplished — no Good at Cooking with Andy this weekend.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

I thought we were all Georgians.

ace tomato on February 20, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Holy crap her face looks like a Halloween mask. Is this woman even still alive or is sissy liberal outrage the only thing that animates her and gives the illusion of life?

Darth Executor on February 20, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Maybe our side needs some “Freedom Fighters”.

Harpoon on February 20, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Smart is indeed sexy.

Chuck Schick on February 20, 2009 at 6:09 PM

For any jihadists that might be reading this esteemed blog:

Meet # 1 of your 72 virgins. Be advised that the other 71 are her clones. Bombs away!

Key West Reader on February 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM

That is one of the better pics of the evil-eyed old crone I’ve seen in awhile.

OmahaConservative on February 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Thomas doesn’t even pay attention to the issues.

Well that’s an understatement.

Cr4sh Dummy on February 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Helen Thomas is a terrorist. Her Picture is used to scare people as punishment in Hell.

Baalzebuub is out of a job.

William Amos on February 20, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Dude you’re terrorizing you readers by putting the a picture of a hideous creature on the main page. My eyes hurt!

TheBigOldDog on February 20, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I think she is 187 years old.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest her armpits.

Key West Reader on February 20, 2009 at 6:11 PM

A “Terrorist” is someone who attacks a civilian population WITHOUT REPRESENTING A COUNTRY.

When the USA bombs something its an act of war.

see the difference?

bingsha on February 20, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Caleb Howe, a conservative at Red State who partners with Tommy on projects and events, chalks this [total moral equivalence] up to Thomas’ liberalism, but I think that lets her off the hook.

You are correct, Ed. This attitude is due to nothing but unbridled stupidity – the 63 IQ sort of stupidity. Frankly, I’m surprised she can breathe on her own.

progressoverpeace on February 20, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Gawd…that…that face…my eyes…my eyes…I can’t see, that pic just burned out my retinas!!

Please Ed, for that’s holy, please put up a warning next time, I feel like I just had acid thrown in my eyes!

Hell, we don’t need to waterboard terrorists, just make them look at her picture, they’d be singing like birds in less than a minute!

Helen “my face is more terrifying than a terrorist” Thomas is the biggest liberal terror there is!

Liberty or Death on February 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

This goes beyond liberalism. It’s far-left anti-war pro-terrorist loonyville.

amerpundit on February 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Whoever sells that woman a mirror is a terrorist.

Ronnie on February 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Holy Carp!!!! You need to put some kind of visual warning on this, I opened the HA page and reflexively tried to claw my eyes out. Thank god for the reading glasses.

Fighton03 on February 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Take a good look at her, that’s what Pelosi will look like in a few years and she will sound just like her too. 2010 is the time to get rid of Pelosi.

suzyk on February 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

If I would have voted for Barry would that still make me a coward/terrorist?

Joe Caps on February 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Bless your so-called heart, Miss Helen.

Christien on February 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

So what do Hot Air readers find more objectionable

*scans the screenshot of Thomas*

Where do I start?

Bishop on February 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM

The Taliban are fighting to enforce their totalitarian veiw of the world on the Afgahanis.

By Helen Thomas’ definition the Nazis were freedom Fighters.

Again what freedom are they fighting for ? The freedom to enslave ?

William Amos on February 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Whoever sells that woman a mirror is a terrorist.

Ronnie on February 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I’m thinking a hero, It’s the only way to turn it to stone.

Fighton03 on February 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM

suzyk on February 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

No, Babe. This is what Nan really looks like without botox. For real.

Key West Reader on February 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I’m sorry but, I think she’s lost it. I really don’t think she even knows what she’s talking about anymore.

cabbageheat on February 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Wonder if she would change her mind if it were her head beaing slowly sawed off?

Nah…some stupid is just too much.

jukin on February 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I’d say six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Yes, indeed. Plus, in a way she’s right. We’re all terrorists. She even looks terror-inspiring.

Entelechy on February 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest her armpits.

Key West Reader on February 20, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Too late. That’s why she’s so cranky.

hoosiermama on February 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Helen Thomas, alJazeera’s favorite

runner on February 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Helen Thomas is a “so-called” American. It is from her ilk that we get all this liberal double-speak and anti-American propaganda. Intellectual honesty indeed!

Christian Conservative on February 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM

F You Helen Thomas For Life!!!!

sabbott on February 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM

It’s a damn good thing looks and journalistic integrity have absolutely no impact on who they allow on TV or in print these days. Helen is yet another candidate for my Worst Journalist in the World award. Get behind the other asshats like Chris and Keith.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on February 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Smart is indeed sexy.

Chuck Schick on February 20, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Too bad she’s neither.

Fighton03 on February 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM

At the Arab-American National Museum in Dearborn, Michigan, there is a laudatory exhibit on Helen Thomas, a Syrian-American, born in Kentucky of parents from Tripoli, Lebanon, then a part of Syria.

Not only is she a Liberal ad extremum, she is also an apologist for the Arab community, blaming non-Arabs for all of the Arab’s problems over the years.

But, above all…she is a senile Arab apologist, forgetting that her parents, Christians in a Moslem world, came here to get away from the prejudice and the hate directed toward them for merely not being Moslem. I wonder what her Mom and Dad would say about their princess today?

coldwarrior on February 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Ahh…my precious .

Alinsky on February 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Fighton03 on February 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM

LMFAO…I feel your pain my friend, my eyes will never be the same either…I think I’m going to hhhuuuuurrrllll!

Liberty or Death on February 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest her armpits.

I’m not removing the excess……….

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on February 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I wonder what her Mom and Dad would say about their princess today?

Damn you got ugly/HT Parents

William Amos on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

We are indeed a nation of cowards. Guess I’ve gotta take one for the team and say it:

I’d hit that.

Christien on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

This debate reminds of what some Indian friends of mine told me during a water-cooler break. Before India was freed from the British, they had some men (college graduates, government officials, etc) who resorted to bombing and killing their oppressive British overlords, and are widely revered by their country men. I am sure the British would consider them terrorists, but at that time, the American public was pretty appreciative of their efforts. What I am trying to say is, it’s not as trivial an argument as some posters make it out to be. While ‘evil’ should always be condemned, ‘oppression’ is also a part of the ‘evil’.

peter_griffin on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Behold the bastard love child of Yoda and that really big bad guy from The Rocketeer.

World B. Free on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

smart power

mred on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

ZOIKS!!!!

/Scooby Doo

Key West Reader on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

“intellectual honesty” and Helen Thomas have noting in common. But then, Helen can always fall back on the fact that she’s getting older and probably getting senile.

Did I say “probably”?

GarandFan on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

key west reader: Just spit wine on the keyboard…72 virgins…ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Gulfcoastconservative on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Did Helen invite Tommy to the speakeasy and offer to show him her flapper moves while listening to the new cool music they call “jazz”?

Bishop on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Why a house hasn’t dropped on her, I don’t know.

Wethal on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Imagine living that long with no moral clarity.

What a hag.

Cody1991 on February 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I’d hit that.

Christien on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Terrorist !

William Amos on February 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM

HA commenters, your reflexive, er reflective, comments on good ol’ Helen portray you in a not-so-good light.

p.s. no worries, I’m in your category. Some simply deserve more stoning than others. Of course, “stoning” in the figurative sense.

Entelechy on February 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Liberty or Death on February 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM

NOT ON THE KEYBOARD!!!

Fighton03 on February 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I’m amazed that Tommy doesn’t challenge these silly sophomoric sentiments and ask her to expand and explain, otherwise known as let “liberals dig a hole for themselves”.
But honestly, can we have a picture of your arse next time, AP?

Fortunata on February 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Entelechy on February 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM

LOL.

… … I’m still laughing.

progressoverpeace on February 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

She looks like a sock puppet in drag.

JellyToast on February 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

What do you call a female “tool”?

JetBoy on February 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

That girlish giggle at the end of the clip has me convinced she was trying to flirt with Tommy Christopher.

OmahaConservative on February 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Is she still on Bill Clinton’s bucket list?

whitetop on February 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Osama bin Laden is neither — he’s a Saudi of Yemeni descent who runs a network of mostly foreign fighters comprising Uighers, Uzbeks, Chechens, and Arabs out of the FATA, and who by the way attacked the US on 9/11 and not any of the aforementioned countries. “Their own country” is as ignorant as it gets.

I threw that argument at a “Iraq took eye off Afghanistan” lib one time about why did we attack Afghanistan since a Saudi was the one who attacked us and had no official standing with the Afghanistan. He countered that they were sheltering him and I countered back that Saddam had sheltered Al Qaeda before (guy was intellectually honest enough to admit that) and was supporting/sheltering other terrorists until the day we overthrew him…he shut up after that.

Rogue on February 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Has she always been this stupid? I know she has spent the better part of her life trying not to mention that she was a huge Lib. I guess confession is good for the soul, but she just seems to get more stupid as time goes by.

BetseyRoss on February 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM

William Amos on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

In context, dear William. In context.

coldwarrior on February 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Self hate personified.

the_nile on February 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Best argument for the hijab I’ve seen yet.

Wethal on February 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

I’d hit that.

Christien on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

MUST……RESIST……JOKE……

Fighton03 on February 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Why a house hasn’t dropped on her, I don’t know.

Wethal on February 20

My sides hurt. That is so funny.

JellyToast on February 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Bishop on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Um. Using the word flapper in this sentence just gives me hives.

/nasty thoughts. Utterly nasty thoughts. Shudder.

Key West Reader on February 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Loved Alinsky’s “my precious” reference also. Gonna be a fun night!

Gulfcoastconservative on February 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

For now on I request to be called a “so-called conservative”.

Cr4sh Dummy on February 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

O’Reilly was right. She is the Wicked Witch of the East.

Kini on February 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

what about throwing acid in school girls faces after us engineers actually build the school?

rob verdi on February 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Did she loose her burka?

Kevin in Washington State on February 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM

So what do Hot Air readers find more objectionable — the actual statement from Thomas, or the condescending manner in which she explained it to Tommy? I’d say six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Forgot this part. I find everything about Helen Thomas objectionable. She lives in a country where she is safe and earns a great living.

Yeah, I despise the bitch. ‘Nuff said.

Cody1991 on February 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Helen……….

…………… my love!

Let’s call Madeline Albright and see if we can’t get a game of twister going.

Seven Percent Solution on February 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Why a house hasn’t dropped on her, I don’t know.

Wethal on February 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

New keyboard on order. LMAO!!!

Key West Reader on February 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM

What do you call a female “tool”?

In Helen’s Case it would be battleaxe

William Amos on February 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM

OmahaConservative on February 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

We need to be generous. That’s all she’s got.

Entelechy on February 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I’d hit that, with a Kenworth. As long as I was fairly near a good high-pressure truck wash, that is.

drunyan8315 on February 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM

nutty moral equivalency

It’s what’s for dinner.

Ye gads Ed, I saw the post on an RSS feed, so I was somewhat prepared, but then that image hit me from the front page. Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency? That was an affront to mankind.

Good Day to you sir.

I said good day.

juanito on February 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM

What do you call a female “tool”?

I can think of something inappropriate yet very appropriate.

JohnJ on February 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Geeez Dude! People are going out on dates.

Ugly baseball players are better for romance than that pic.
People want the kids to sleep in their own beds tonight.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest her armpits.

Even fleas won’t go there.

Speakup on February 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Somebody check the expiration date on Helen. I think I smell something.

RadioFreeUSA on February 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Um. Using the word flapper in this sentence just gives me hives.
/nasty thoughts. Utterly nasty thoughts. Shudder.
Key West Reader on February 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

It’s ok. After posting, I thought….some might take that the wrong way. I imagined the same thing and a few synapses are now gone forever.

Bishop on February 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Poor some water on her please! Make it go away! OReilly was 100% about her. If anything, she looks like a terrorist.

DaveKlassix on February 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM

She’s so over the top that I can’t even despise her. I think of her as just a different Cindy Sheehan, poor souls…

Entelechy on February 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM

So I take it she’s fine with the Taliban toppling walls over gays, because Bush was against gay marriage.

Helen Thomas is exhibit A in favor of the full burhka.

rbj on February 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

god DAMN you, Ed! That picture is terrifying!

MadisonConservative on February 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Your a terrorist my pretty and your little dog too!

400lb Gorilla on February 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Did you know the legalization of weed is polling better than the gop?

getalife on February 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Bishop on February 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Well, I’m glad your synapses are still snappin!

Key West Reader on February 20, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Hey, the lady couldn’t make a living if she didn’t have an audience. Guess that includes us now.

ElRonaldo on February 20, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Geeez Dude! People are going out on dates.

I’ll tell Helen you said hi.

Don’t look at me like that, long Minnesota winters do strange things to people. We get lonely.

Bishop on February 20, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Every time she opens her mouth I’m afraid of what might hop, ooze, crawl, or jump out.

pugwriter on February 20, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Aaaccckkk!!! The picture of Dorien Gray has come to life.

BitterClinger on February 20, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Did you know the legalization of weed is polling better than the gop?

getalife on February 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Explans why Obama got elected. People must of been high on something

William Amos on February 20, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I love the “some people” cop-out. So, to be clear, “some people” think they’re freedom fighters and Helen will therefore call them “so-called terrorists” out of deference. Never mind that “other people” think that they’re sh!t bag terrorists, Helen isn’t going to legitimize that sort of thing (by calling them “so-called freedom fighters” perhaps?).

I guess the functional difference is that Helen is one of the “some” and not the “other”. Shock.

landshark on February 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM

What do you call a female “tool”?

JetBoy on February 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Oh, I donno, how about a vulgar reference to someone named Richard?

Kini on February 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Helen Thomas: The epitome of incompetence. She was only let in because.. you know… we have to be sympathetic to the pathetic and the disfigured.
/Gibbs’s next presser.

Key West Reader on February 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I think Helen serves a purpose. When I wake up and ask myself: “Who can I hate today?”, I don’t have to hurt my brain thinking too hard.

Lincoln would have put her in front of a firing squad.
FDR would have placed her in an internment camp.
GWB should have sent her to interview Zarqawi.

On second thought, the last suggestion would have just resulted in her finding her soul-mate.

Helen Thomas was why the term loathsome was coined

soundingboard on February 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Did you know the legalization of weed is polling better than the gop?
getalife on February 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Why am I not surprised that you would be up on all the “weed” news?

Bishop on February 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I am with others posters here…she is terrifyingly ugly and stupid, quite beyond redemption.

Dean of the White House Press Corps, indeed. There’s a statement for you…

Harry Schell on February 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Did you know the legalization of weed is polling better than the gop?

getalife on February 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Ahh, one of my useful idiots…keep up the good fight peon..err…soldier!

Alinsky on February 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM