Helen Thomas: We’re all terrorists

posted at 6:05 pm on February 20, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

All right, Hot Air denizens. If this thread doesn’t have 500 comments by midnight, I’m going to post another Good at Cooking with Andy segment this weekend. My friend from the Left, Tommy Christopher, got a chance to talk with Helen Thomas at the White House today after she referred to our enemies in Afghanistan and Pakistan as “so-called terrorists”. Helen likes Tommy, so she had no reservations about going with the Full Moral Equivalence argument:

TOMMY: All right Helen, when you asked the President about Afghanistan and Pakistan during the press conference, you said, “so-called terrorists”. You want to explain why you say “so-called terrorists”?

THOMAS: Because some people think they’re freedom fighters. They are in their own country, and we could dub them as terrorists, but … and their tactics are terrible, but so are ours. We dropped bombs on people in Iraq, people who did nothing to us.

TOMMY: So would you say that it’s for the sake of intellectual honesty?

THOMAS: [NODDING] I say we need it.

Caleb Howe, a conservative at Red State who partners with Tommy on projects and events, chalks this up to Thomas’ liberalism, but I think that lets her off the hook. Plenty of liberals don’t buy into the nutty moral equivalency of terrorists who target civilians for political purposes and the people who fight the terrorists hiding among the civilians. Mostly that comes from the lunatic Left, the International ANSWER and World Can’t Wait quasi-Stalinists and terrorist apologists.  I’d include Michael Moore, who argued that al-Qaeda in Iraq were the modern-day equivalents to the Minutemen of the American Revolution, who also made their argument by blowing up carriages with huge bombs buried in the streets and beheaded civilian engineers that they kidnapped from the British … at least according to Moore.

Beyond that, Thomas doesn’t even pay attention to the issues.  The Taliban in Pakistan cross the border into Afghanistan to fight the government and NATO; they are primarily Pakistanis, not Afghans.  Osama bin Laden is neither — he’s a Saudi of Yemeni descent who runs a network of mostly foreign fighters comprising Uighers, Uzbeks, Chechens, and Arabs out of the FATA, and who by the way attacked the US on 9/11 and not any of the aforementioned countries.  “Their own country” is as ignorant as it gets.

So what do Hot Air readers find more objectionable — the actual statement from Thomas, or the condescending manner in which she explained it to Tommy?  I’d say six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Update: Look, I know you are all having a lot of fun picking on Thomas’ looks, but believe me, if someone told me I’d be doing this at 88 with my own seat at the White House briefing room, I wouldn’t really care what I looked like as long as I was still breathing.

Update II, 12:11 am: Mission accomplished — no Good at Cooking with Andy this weekend.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Ann NY on February 21, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Allahpundit, your girlhunt is over.

platypus on February 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM

what’s that thing they do to dogs when they are old and sick.

RIGHT.

You get the picture.

Dr. Kovorkian, calling Dr. Kovorkian………..

Mercy4Me on February 21, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Can we classify her face as a WMD?

BallisticBob on February 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Wow. I’m just stunned. That was incredibly dumb.

ExSubNuke on February 21, 2009 at 12:18 PM

“freedom fighters”

The Taliban and Al Queda aren’t interested in anyone’s freedom.

uskorea on February 21, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Please be nice to Paul Begala’s great grandmother.

Travis1 on February 21, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Helen Thomas is indeed a terrorist. Her face terrorizes children ages 8-88.

madne0 on February 21, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Hm, it’s not on Youtube anymore. Another takedown of a conservative video?

Unfit For The Internet on February 21, 2009 at 12:49 PM

600

Seven Percent Solution on February 21, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Why do people continue to even listen to this obsolete old turd?

rplat on February 21, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Hmm words mean things. I supposed that was not taught back in the Stone Age Journalism School. What a dishonor she does to those who fight to protect our freedoms, of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. She needs to be on the health plan Daschle proposed for the elderly…or as my sister would say, “She has a chip missing”.

Buckeye Babe on February 21, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Any photos of “Helen the Horrible” should be preceeded by a warning. You just scared the crap out of my kids and my dog.

bw222 on February 21, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Send her to live with the Taliban.

RealDemocrat on February 21, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Whoever set her face on fire and put it out with a wet chain is the terrorist.

Grafted on February 21, 2009 at 1:51 PM

G.K. Chesterton once observed, seriously, that how a person looks after the age of 60 is entirely their own fault.

I know 88-year-olds who are decent human beings. Their faces don’t look like hers.

philwynk on February 21, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Send her to live with the Taliban.

RealDemocrat on February 21, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Good idea. At the very least they would make her wear a burqua.

sdd on February 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Well. I’ll say this. She really believes what she is saying. I don’t think you can doubt that.

What his follow-up question should have been is, “Using your logic were the Nazis also freedom fighters?”

That is the problem with Liberals. Their brains are wired to look at life using feelings as their guide. There is rarely any logic to their thought process.

You get tell tale signs in their speech all of the time. The next time you hear a Liberal expounding on their philosophy or ideas count how many times they say the phrase “I feel that…”. Then compare that to how many times you hear them say, “I think”.

watson007 on February 21, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Whoa, now thats what I call BUTT F__KING UGLY!!!!! This old pigs ass can’t take a dirt nap quick enough.

nukeemnow on February 21, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Spock has a beard in your world, doesn’t he.

Ronnie on February 20, 2009 at 11:08 PM

And Superman has a backward “S” in your world, right?

Squiggy on February 21, 2009 at 3:10 PM

AHHHHHHHHHH, brain bleach, brain bleach, must erase image from mind.

Can someone get her on camera and get her to say

“and your little dog too!”

or

“I’m melting, melting. Ohhhhh, what a world, what a world. Who would have thought that some little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness.”

jcw46 on February 21, 2009 at 4:44 PM

With people this clueless as the face of our media, it’s no wonder there are so many misinformed idiots out spouting nonsense in our country. Garbage in – garbage out.

Scrappy on February 21, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Helen Thomas is about one step away from coming into a White House briefing room wearing a suicide belt.

DarkKnight3565 on February 21, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Holy Shit! I thought that was one of Jeff Dunham’s puppets.

allahallahoxenfree on February 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I want to see the economist chick. The fairness doctrine needs to be implemented at Hot Air. For every Helen Thomas, Joy Behar, etc post we need the economist chick, MM, Carpenter and /or Megyn clip (preferably and). Who’s with me?

Fuquay Steve on February 21, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Now THAT’S a Fairness Doctrine we can believe in!

SuperCool on February 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Who does her hair? Suri Cruise?

NathanG on February 21, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Hagula should be put down. Like the angry chimp.

OmahaConservative on February 21, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Is Arafat really dead? Looks like Arafat in drag.

MaiDee on February 21, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Liberalism is a diseases — TERMINAL in her case …

searcher484 on February 21, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Well, just pray for the poor home health aide who has to wipe her ass every morning

allahallahoxenfree on February 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I just threw up in my mouth, i’m sorry about that one.

allahallahoxenfree on February 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Holy Shit! I thought that was one of Jeff Dunham’s puppets.

Uhmm. I think Achmed the Dead Terrorist looks better than her. SILENCE!! I KILL YOU!!

Rightwingguy on February 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM

I am usually a believer that people look good in their youth and then look worse as they age. Helen Thomas has always been THAT ugly. Its kind of sad, actually…..

Rightwingguy on February 21, 2009 at 9:40 PM

I think shes still alive only because of her strict daily regimen of drinking 2 cups of haitian childs blood and 3 hrs of sweaty, hairy hot monkey analsex with male prostitutes.

allahallahoxenfree on February 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I’m sorry about that one too. help me baby Jesus, purge those images from my eyes

allahallahoxenfree on February 21, 2009 at 9:46 PM

They keep her around because they think she’s cute…or something. I dunno.

Actually, she’s not anymore outrageous than the other Marxists out there in the MSM.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I’m not sure if I saw it on late night TV or the History Channel, but…

It seems Lincoln once tried to compare himself to Washington in an early press briefing. Thomas yelled, “I knew Washington, and you’re no Washington!”

Laura in Maryland on February 21, 2009 at 11:08 PM

In the long, but not forgotten words of my Grandmother…Helen’s hair looks fried, dyed and laid to the side!

Maddiekaddison on February 22, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Maddiekaddison on February 22, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Her looks are an argument for evolution, given she appears to be old enough to be the missing link, but her mind reminded me of a cesspool, except of course a cesspool performs an useful function.

darktood on February 22, 2009 at 1:53 AM

Send her to live with the Taliban.

RealDemocrat on February 21, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Good idea. At the very least they would make her wear a burqua.

sdd on February 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM

On this we can all agree!!!!

Bubba Redneck on February 22, 2009 at 2:15 AM

Is Arafat really dead? Looks like Arafat in drag.

MaiDee on February 21, 2009 at 9:21 PM

There’s an image that will haunt me for days . . . .

Bubba Redneck on February 22, 2009 at 2:19 AM

If we had more attacks on the US as we did on 9/11 the liberals would still find excuses for them. It’s a waste of time to reason with these anti Americans.

kthomas8268 on February 22, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I know I’ve seen that face in a [horror] movie before…

…and of course the logic is straight out of Hollywood, too.

bluelightbrigade on February 22, 2009 at 9:16 AM

We should drop Helen Thomas on people in Iraq.

morganfrost on February 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM

dang she must have fallen out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down .

Mojack420 on February 22, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Fuquay Steve on February 21, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Are you familiar with the line “One ‘Ahhh, sh!t!’ wipes out a thousand ‘attaboys!’?”

Well to be ‘fair and equitable’ for this one HA would have to go 24/7 with MM/Ingraham/Ham et al…..hmmmmmmmmmmm, you may have something there…lol

Fighton03 on February 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Let Helen try to visit Mecca.

I rest my case.

shaken on February 22, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Please excuse me while I go open a vein…

winston on February 22, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Please AP take the picture down…I’m begging you!

winston on February 22, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Say, that picture of the alleged Helen Thomas….
Isn’t that Ernst Blofeld?

Peyton on February 22, 2009 at 9:49 PM

At the very least they would make her wear a burqua.

sdd on February 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM

On this we can all agree!!!!

Bubba Redneck on February 22, 2009 at 2:15 AM

I disagree. What temptation does she exude? She should be exempt.

Shy Guy on February 23, 2009 at 7:27 AM

why don’t this old hag die-can someone send her some pills?

NRA Lifer on February 23, 2009 at 8:20 AM

old buzzard

workingforpigs on February 23, 2009 at 9:05 AM

That is one broad who when she takes the eternal dirt nap I will not even feign to shed a tear.

Hilts on February 23, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I remember she never got to ask a question on the last press conference of M. Bush as before the president indeniably would rarely not forget to ask a question from her. Time to roll back?

Monas on February 23, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Man! What a farce face…..

CynicalOptimist on February 23, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Maybe she’s sending out feelers to Zawahiri, the handsome defacto chief of Al qaida. I mean they’d make quite a couple. Ayman&Helen?….Helen Zawahiri?….And she’d definitely look better in a burka……Maybe then she could get him a green card and there’d be peace? Heck we’re all the same anyway, right?

cjk on February 23, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Man, I saw this picture and soiled myself…

CynicalOptimist on February 23, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Wait – you mean Pakistan, Saudia Arabia, and Afghanistan aren’t THE SAME COUNTRY???

Next thing you’ll be trying to tell me that those people over there aren’t all the same.

hawksruleva on February 23, 2009 at 5:27 PM

This woman reminds me of someone! Dare I say she reminds me of Tokyo Rose?

jerseyjoe99982002 on February 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM

She is the wicked witch of the west, that face woulda been attached to those curling up feet, it’s time for this old bittie to hank up the microphone and notepad

chicagoray on February 23, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Scag-ula lives.

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Tokyo Rose was pardoned after tempers had cooled, and it became understood what her options had been.

darktood on February 24, 2009 at 6:41 AM

why do I hear crows cawwing when I look at that woman? Caww, Caww, just sticks in your head.

workingforpigs on February 24, 2009 at 8:31 AM