Video: The obligatory “CNBC, Chicago traders dump on Obama’s mortgage plan” clip

posted at 1:20 pm on February 19, 2009 by Allahpundit

The way Drudge is hyping this, I thought there’d be a mob of brokers on the floor chanting “no justice, no peace.” In fact, it’s CNBC anchor Rick Santelli pitching some pro forma populism about the unfairness of having to bail out deadbeats to a few obliging hoots and whistles. Try decaf, Matt.

I’m all for the tea party, though. Who’s in? Exit question: You don’t really want the Octomom to have to live on the street, do you? Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Just think of it as a nostalgic return to the heady days of Halloween, 1997 – the last time that the Dow was below 7500. The number one song that week was Elton John’s “Like a Candle in the Wind”. Kind of like our free enterprise system…

Remember Windows 95? Netscape? Bill Clinton pre-Lewinsky?
When Matt Drudge had about 20 readers?
Yes, it’s onwards and upwards with Hopeychange!
Maybe we’ll get all the way back to those 1954 Havana Desotos that Rick Santelli was talking about..
Dow 300!

TexasJew on February 19, 2009 at 5:18 PM

If it continues at that rate, it will come out to about 10% for the year.

MarkTheGreat on February 19, 2009 at 1:46 PM

It will get worse…Obama is printing money almost as fast as he is giving it away.
Never have I seen such incompetence and it has only been a few weeks…historically this will go down as the worse 100 days ever.
He can’t even fill his cabinet with hones people…simply amazing.
I still can’t get over a tax evader as treasure secretary…and the head of the ways and means refusing to pay interest on taxes he was forced to pay.
Anyone but a democrat would be in jail…let alone running the country.
This is what liberals have given us…simply amazing…

right2bright on February 19, 2009 at 5:19 PM

“I think people are getting stirred up, but not a lot of people are, average Americans are on board.” I don’t think average Americans ARE on board. I think there’s a slow, steady awakening going on with a lot of people saying, “OMG what did we elect into office?” I think the problem with average Americans right now is a lack of coordination among all of the grass-roots movements. Any ideas out there on how to solve this problem? Tea Party? Oh yeah!!! I’ll try to save some money for a trip to chicago. I’ll mail tea bags to the 3 doofus legislators in this state that voted in favor of the bailouts and the “spendmore” package. I’ll send a thank you to the one who didn’t. My feeling on DTMH? Do we know if its personal finances are solvent or what? He/she/it may be a beneficiary of the “spendalot” bill just signed into law.

Driefromseattle on February 19, 2009 at 5:19 PM

ddrintn on February 19, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Funny. I bet you can’t say that 3 times real fast. I also bet you a liberal can.

genso on February 19, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Dow 300!

TexasJew on February 19, 2009 at 5:18 PM

It would be good for the auto makers. I think GM’s stock price is about where it was in 1954. So much for buy and hold.

dedalus on February 19, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I think I may need to take my leave of this site for a while. It’s been fun, but no one here has anything new to say other than blame Obama for everything thats wrong with the world. Ah well. It’s been real.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM

LOL, we put up with eight years of this with Bush and he can’t take a few weeks of it when it is his guys turn?

The French army of commentators, there.

quax1 on February 19, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I suggest that the following quote is not actually Henry “the Pig-Man” Waxman, but has been lifted, verbatim, from Atlas Shrugged:

Rep. Henry Waxman, the California Democrat, practiced law for three years, then entered elective office at 29 and has never left, so when he speaks about a world larger than a legislature, and about entities more enmeshed in life’s grinding imperatives, he says strange things. Objecting to General Motors, Ford and Chrysler opposing more severe fuel-economy and emissions standards, he says: “They have not yet stopped being controlled by their own self-interest.”

Directive 10-289?

Jaibones on February 19, 2009 at 5:25 PM

If you want a tea party remember these famous words.

“Wall Street got drunk”.

They are the fools that caused this depression.

getalife on February 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Could you elaborate, please? I don’t believe it is asking much for you to explain your position or be able to back up your claim. I have tried to engage you as I see others have too. You have yet to be able to back up any claim. In your estimation, what was it that they did that specifically led to where we are?

Only fiscal responsibility, less government interference, and reducing all of the pork will get us out.

txaggie on February 19, 2009 at 3:50 PM

That is Hoover think but thanks for a civil rebuttal.

Gig ‘em Aggies!

getalife on February 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM

After the crash of 1929, Hoover and Congress drastically raised taxes (income, corporate, and estate), pushed Smoot-Hawley, and increased federal spending. How do you conclude that the above is less government interference and a reduction in pork? History and the public record show the exact opposite.

Any chance of a response? Specifically to the challenge of backing your claims up?

anuts on February 19, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Ah well. It’s been real.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM

GFY. Waste your foul breath elsewhere, db.

Jaibones on February 19, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Have another cup, I say.

Spirit of 1776 on February 19, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I don’t drink coffee or tea but I might have to have a cup after watching this.

Yakko77 on February 19, 2009 at 5:27 PM

You are correct. This figure was a bit misleading. However, in the long term, when housing bottoms and starts to rise

genso on February 19, 2009 at 2:07 PM

This won’t happen for at least a decade and that is being optimistic.

angryed on February 19, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Ah well. It’s been real.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Please, oh lord, please let him mean it.

angryed on February 19, 2009 at 5:34 PM

If you want a tea party remember these famous words.

“Wall Street got drunk”.

They are the fools that caused this depression.

getalife on February 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM

txaggie on February 19, 2009 at 3:50 PM

That is Hoover think but thanks for a civil rebuttal.

Gig ‘em Aggies!

getalife on February 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM

anuts on February 19, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Asking a lib to explain their groupthink logically is just senselessly cruel. ;o)

ddrintn on February 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM

I think all Mortgage holders should subsidize my rent. Fair is fair.

ronsfi on February 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM

NRO spoke with Rick Santelli this afternoon:

National Review Online: Were you expecting anything like this reaction?

Rick Santelli: Not at all, not at all. It was just, after 48 hours of listening to hundreds of people trying to approach me on floors, on trains, everywhere, the opinions were almost unanimous, and I just tried to pick up that thread. The pits weren’t open at the time and the traders that were on the floor getting ready for the opening all started to gravitate to where I was talking, and it just took on a life of its own.

NRO: When we posted a link to the video, we were swamped with e-mails in support, including a couple from traders at the Board of Trade in Chicago, who have been saying right on. How have the e-mails that you’ve been getting, how have they been running?

Santelli: I’ll be honest with you, I think I’ve gotten somewhere between 850-900, and I think I had three that were negative…

NRO: Right. And now it seems we passed this bailout bill without specifying any of the details, it’s kind of become a blank check, and they say that Barack Obama can do something like 80 percent of his homeowner-assistance plan without even asking Congress. So how do you think that plays out in the future?

Santelli: I guess in the end, I believe in the founding fathers, and I believe that in America… the pursuit of happiness and to work hard and keep the fruits of your labor is something I believe in. And I’m not saying we should forget people who need help. But at the end of the day, Americans are strong and they’re charitable. I think what they have a problem with is that it’s force-fed via the government.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 5:43 PM

why do i pay my bills on time?

custer on February 19, 2009 at 5:45 PM

ddrintn on February 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Heh. Trying to remain optimistic I suppose. I still actually believe that one is able to explain why/how they arrived at the conclusion they have. Even if we’re working with hunches here. There should still always be a reason for a hunch.

anuts on February 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Why go to Chicago? Why not have Tea Parties across this land, in all regions, with millions in attendance, screaming one simple word, ENOUGH!!! Do it at the same time, on the same day, the media will have a hard time covering it up.
Yes, the Democrats won the election, we get it, stop ramming it down our throats, and stop feeling that you have a mandate to destroy the very fabric of this Nation, you don’t! Is it just me, or does it appear to you that they are working on the total re-vamp of the first, second, fourth, and possibly fifth Amendments, anymore I’m not aware of? So much for an Oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States.

We’re Screwed…

M-14 2go on February 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM

INC on February 19, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Great interview and I loved the part of the 3 negative emails. Thanks for posting it. I love following your comments. You do great research!

sherry on February 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Sorry but I think this is more significant than you. These were real people who CONTRIBUTE to the tax base who were fired up. First time that I’ve seen that kind of “mad as hell and not going to take it anywhere” when the filthy liar goes out there and rewards the irresponsible, greedy, and stupid (corporations and individuals) with the tax money of people who actually work for a living.

The filthy liar in the White House can’t afford such dissention.

highhopes on February 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM

You don’t really want the Octomom to have to live on the street, do you?

…damned skippy!

…what is the fascination with trying to interdict the convergence of actions/decisions and consequences? Some of us have had to live with consequences all our lives, and haven’t had the advantages of having screwed up spectacularly, in a newsworthy fashion, having only screwed up in incremental and anonymous ways.

…stretching the system to allow the foolish to escape their just deserts — especially when the means used come from the public purse — is horrific for morale, and creates more of the same. It feeds the “I can party all I wanna, and then I’ll win the lottery” mentality….

…put the kids — poor tykes that they are, born to such a one — up for adoption, and let the walking Xerox machine live in a refrigerator carton….

…or, let her family, if she has one who’ll claim her, and who should’ve been on hand when her human-reproduction-riot took place, pick up the tab.

Puritan1648 on February 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM

The One knows exactly what he is doing. The goal is to take out the middle class, and unless we do something, that is exactly what they will do.

americanpatriot on February 19, 2009 at 6:07 PM

So that’s what Obama, Pelosi, and Reid were up to today…

Snowed In on February 19, 2009 at 6:07 PM

M-14 2go on February 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Why not just refuse to feed the beast by refusing to pay taxes for 2009? It’s not like the filthy liar has the moral imperitive to make us when everybody he nominates is an utter tax cheat. It’s too late for this year but the filthy liar sees those who file taxes (obviously mostly Republican) as a giant ATM for the deadbeats who put the filthy liar in office. When the IRS audits, the response should be hey Obama won- why should I have to pay when his people don’t.

highhopes on February 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM

sherry on February 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Thank you, sherry. I found the interview really encouraging because it indicates there is a definite groundswell happening.

I read ranging over various topics and various sites. I’m glad I can be helpful.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM

So that’s what Obama, Pelosi, and Reid were up to today…

Snowed In on February 19, 2009 at 6:07 PM

:-)

Or else Specter, Snowe & Collins!

INC on February 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM

These poor fools dont realize that they too will be assimulated. Resistance is futile.

MichiganMatt on February 19, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Our Doofus in Chief on the world stage.

It’s great to be in Iowa – Ottawa“.

Entelechy on February 19, 2009 at 6:39 PM

The republicans were responsible for 40% of this mess
Because they refused to do what was right and clean up wall street..

they foolishly believed that the market would self correct.
Which normally it would

IF the CEOS running the joint werent all THIEVES..

Capitolism is based upon biblical markets which were based upon (ohh that pesky thing called the 10 Commandments)..

BUT the Democrats for years were Soaking the entire banking system in paper soaked with Gasoline so toxic that a single match would burn the entire house down..

and that was Forcing banks and their insures to loan up to 5 trillion dollars in home and equity loans to
anyone who was Breathing..

they didnt require even the most basic of checks
Your Name
Your social security number
Your home of record
Are you a citizen
ok go ahead

jcila on February 19, 2009 at 6:42 PM

INC on February 19, 2009 at 5:43 PM

“I just don’t think you can spend your way into correcting something that’s going to be painful and make it not painful. So I think I’ve been kind of spot-on in many ways as to the spending plans.”

the_nile on February 19, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I’m seeing a level of anger among my coworkers and neighbors that I’ve not seen since September 11, 2001.

Not your hipster doofus Bush deranged types…. not your Code Pink types. The type of people who get up early go to work, to church, raise their kids…. those types. They are angry.

Bin Laden is envious of the damage that Obama & the Democrats are wreaking upon this nation.

bloviator on February 19, 2009 at 6:44 PM

“At the end of the day, it’s simple. A lot of the president’s advisers are saying that there’s a multiplier effect to the government money, and it’s over one. Now if that’s true, then the government should spend non-stop for the rest of our lives, because we’ll get a positive return. And it makes no sense.”

the_nile on February 19, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I like to think that my earnest post that this would harm DTMH as well, that it would bring him/her down as well, caused him/her to perhaps think about that.

Alana on February 19, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Ah well. It’s been real.
DeathToMediaHacks on February 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM
And real it has been, for sure..
We’ll miss you!
Please send our best regards to your hero, Baracky McChimp.
And we sure hope they can cure that blue scrotum thing…

TexasJew on February 19, 2009 at 6:51 PM

THANK GOD SOMEBODY ON T.V. CAN TELL THE TRUTH.WHEN ARE WE GOING TO STOP THIS SPEENDIG SPREE.IF ITS STILL GOING ON I WOULD LIKE A MILLION DOLLARS AND A BIG SCREEN T.V. MR. PREIDENT . AND IF I STOP PAYING MY TAXES COULD I GET A CABINET JOB .

wade underhile on February 19, 2009 at 6:52 PM

You don’t really want the Octomom to have to live on the street, do you?

Yes, I do.

Her unfortunate children, no.

Disturb the Universe on February 19, 2009 at 6:54 PM

the_nile on February 19, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Common sense–of which Congress is sorely lacking.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 6:54 PM

as well as the White House.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 6:54 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM

To quote an old Blonde song:

Don’t go away mad.
Don’t go away sad.
Just go away and stay away.

Disturb the Universe on February 19, 2009 at 6:59 PM

So that’s what Obama, Pelosi, and Reid were up to today…

Snowed In on February 19, 2009 at 6:07 PM
:-)

Or else Specter, Snowe & Collins!

INC on February 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Hmmmmm…. do stooges always come in threes?!

imfedup on February 19, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Disturb the Universe on February 19, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Or what I hear nearly every Saturday night; “You don’t have to go home but you can’t stay here.”

genso on February 19, 2009 at 7:02 PM

I’m in for the tea party. I know of a few hundred more who are also in.

How does one revolt in this day and age?

ballz2wallz on February 19, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Ah well. It’s been real.
DeathToMediaHacks on February 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Allow me to give you a nice sendoff with these timeless words from the great Winston Churchill:
On leftists:
“They are the most disagreeable of people…Their insincerity? Can you not feel a sense of disgust at the arrogant presumption of superiority of these people? Superiority of intellect! Then, when it comes to practice, down they fall with a wallop not only to the level of ordinary human beings but to a level which is even far below the average.”

“These very high intellectual persons who wake up every morning…see what they can find to demolish, to undermine, or cast away.”

“Let them quit these gospels of envy, hate, and malice. Let them abandon the utter fallacy, the grotesque, erroneous, fatal blunder of believing that by limiting the enterprise of man, by riveting the shackles of a false equality…they will increase the well-being of the world.”

Buy Danish on February 19, 2009 at 7:05 PM

jcila on February 19, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Don’t blame Wall Street just on Republicans:

From Instapundit:

ABC NEWS ON fugitive financier Allen Stanford: “A video posted on the firm’s web-site shows Stanford, now sought by U.S. Marshals, being hugged by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and praised by former President Bill Clinton for helping to finance a convention-related forum and party put on by the National Democratic Institute.”

Plus, “culture of corruption?”

INC on February 19, 2009 at 7:06 PM

From that “culture of corruption” link:

I’m sorry, but as a political writer, it intrigues me that big-time financial scammers seem to show a pronounced preference for Democrats. Bernie Madoff’s political money went almost entirely Democratic, and while Stanford was a little more bipartisan, he did give the DSCC more than five times as much money than he gave to his biggest Republican beneficiary.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 7:07 PM

93% of the people who live in this country are either current on their mortgage, own a house without a mortgage, or rent. But we in the 93% are going to pay hundreds of billions of dollars to keep the irresponsible, reckless, and/or dishonest 7% living in, and owning, the houses they can’t afford.

Millions of people around the world want to live in the U.S. They fill out the paperwork, pay the fees, and wait their turn in their home countries. Meanwhile, tens of millions who illegally crossed the border, or illegally overstayed their visas, will get amnesty if Obama and the Democratic panderers get their way. (The Washington Post reported today that Obama told hispanic groups yesterday that they need to coordinate with each other and start putting together a plan to get amnesty through Congress).

Anybody starting to detect a pattern here? The message seems to be that if you lie, cheat, disregard the law, behave irresponsibly, etc., you will be richly rewarded by the U.S. government. If you obey the law, play by the rules, behave responsibly, etc., you will get royally screwed by the U.S. government.

AZCoyote on February 19, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Good riddance. In a perfect world, your job would be outsourced to India.

PimFortuynsGhost on February 19, 2009 at 4:11 PM

In the real world, yours is offshored instead.

sethstorm on February 19, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Kudlow’s about to discuss The Santelli Revolution.

He’s going to talk with Santelli and show the video.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 7:33 PM

INC on February 19, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Watching.

genso on February 19, 2009 at 7:35 PM

I still say that if the government really wanted to help people,, then send every citizen of the US, rich, poor, child adult,, a million dollars every 5 years and then eliminate all the government programs from social security to welfare to medicare! We’d all be rich and it would cost only a fraction of what the government spends now helping the poor. the poor would just disappear. And,, if anyone wants to argue that sending a million dollars would never work,, then neither can sending someone $650. monthly welfare check!!

JellyToast on February 19, 2009 at 7:37 PM

bloviator on February 19, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Of course they are with good reason.

The filthy liar’s administration has focused on rewarding those among us that are not solid citizens. Those among us who got Democrat-engineered mortgages that they couldn’t possibly ever repay. Those among us who have been anchors on society instead of contributors. The productive among us (and I’m part of this group) have had enough of this massive spending to prop up the unproductive and deadbeats.

It’s like those South Pacific Islands who were overwhelmed by all the riches of the US military coming through during WWII. The filthy liar’s crowd is looking to leech as much out of the productive as they can until the world goes back to normal.

highhopes on February 19, 2009 at 7:39 PM

genso on February 19, 2009 at 7:35 PM

My husband is glued to the TV watching Kudlow, while I’m a few feet away on the computer.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM

INC on February 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Santelli was good, spoiled by the useful idiot Robert Reich (sp?)

genso on February 19, 2009 at 7:43 PM

genso on February 19, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Yeah, he’s Obama’s PR hit man on this I guess.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Santelli: …I think I had three that were negative…
INC on February 19, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Wouldn’t mind him following up on those people.

Directive 10-289?

Jaibones on February 19, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Since Wall Street showed no humanity, 10-289 is revenge’s number. I’d think that if they wanted to reconcile, they’d figure out a way to sell that to the public.

sethstorm on February 19, 2009 at 7:45 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM

So you think we would forget eight years of the same from the likes of you and not reciprocate? You counted on us being weak, well, you counted wrong. Thanks Ronnie, in Heaven you surely are.

M-14 2go on February 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM

CNBC has a poll at their site:

Would You Join Santelli’s “Chicago Tea Party?”

It’s at 85% yes at the moment.

The readers’ comment over there sound like Hot Air.

People are really steamed.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM

sethstorm on February 19, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Are you in need of a bailout on your mortgage? Or are you just another socialist shill here for the second shift? Do you belong to a union?

genso on February 19, 2009 at 7:48 PM

INC on February 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Nearly 29,000 votes. That’s not a small number for a web poll.

genso on February 19, 2009 at 7:49 PM

How ’bout we each bring a 55 gallon drum of dirty motor oil. Being careful not to spill, tip them precariously over the water and create a hostage crisis. “I’ll do it! I swear I’ll do it! I’ll kill every alga in this whole effin lake!” You know, break up the lefty coalition by driving the wedge ‘tween the ecofreaks and the redistributionists.

Besides, dems don’t handle hostage crises so well.

innominatus on February 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Ha!

jimmy2shoes on February 19, 2009 at 7:49 PM

David Shuster tweets:

“As for Santelli…saw it… in disbelief. He called homeowners “losers?” Sheesh. Corporate will handle…not me.”

tanmany2k on February 19, 2009 at 7:51 PM

tanmany2k on February 19, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Funny. Santelli has just become more popular than Shuster will ever hope to be.

genso on February 19, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Don’t count too much on the NE regiment. They’re more likely into Diet Snapple Raspberry Tea than any reenactments.

JiangxiDad on February 19, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Wow are you out of it. It’s either iced green tea or a chai latte, thank you very much…

Ann NY on February 19, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I love the signs of revolt!

I often wonder though if all these stupid and incompetant moves are designed to keep us agitated and distracted while other things are going on.

The more scrutiny the better.

hiphopconservative on February 19, 2009 at 7:57 PM

People are really steamed.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM

85% , looks like a mixed reaction..

the_nile on February 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM

genso on February 19, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Yep, I tried to put up a link to the CNBC poll, but I can’t get one to work.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 8:02 PM

People are really steamed.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM

The real second coming of political forces to counter the idolatry of the left which elevated the filthy liar to god-like status.

I honestly think yesterday was a turning point. The theft of our future as represented by the Porkulus Bill was abstract. Now we’ve got deadbeats getting assistance in paying mortgages they couldn’t ever possibly afford while honest working people get squat for making the sacrifices necessary to pay their bills.

highhopes on February 19, 2009 at 8:02 PM

A list of pro-market types at CNBC. I’ll start.

1. Rick Santelli
2. Michelle Carusso-Cabrera
3. Joe Kiernan
4. Charlie Gasparino
5. Larry Kudlow
6. Melissa Francis
7. ?

aquaviva on February 19, 2009 at 1:29 PM

They all seem to be evolving into freemarketeers lately. Even Jim Kramer is shifting from being a Clintonian type of investor to shrieking about the plan.

Ann NY on February 19, 2009 at 8:04 PM

85% , looks like a mixed reaction..

the_nile on February 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM

I hope you meant to put up a /sarc tag.

That’s stratospheric considering the support for the original American Revolution.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 8:05 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM

C-ya, don’t let the door hit ya were the Good Lord split ya.

opusrex on February 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Actually, I hope the door hits him right there. It’ll be good practice for him when Obama defines “rich” as making $35K/year.

David Shuster tweets:

tanmany2k on February 19, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Typical. Focus on what is arguably the weakest part of the whole spiel and just ignore the rest. Great analysis, David! Top notch, top notch!

venividivici on February 19, 2009 at 8:06 PM

The more scrutiny the better.

hiphopconservative on February 19, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Bread and Circus? Doesn’t work in this multi-tasking age. We can well track the way the filty bastard wants to hand over the Census to his partisan cronies at the same time we react to the way he wants to reward the deadbeats who voted for him by making it the government’s problem that they never had any intention to pay their bills.

highhopes on February 19, 2009 at 8:06 PM

highhopes on February 19, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Good point. When something moves from the abstract and future to the concrete here and now that people can see immediately affecting them, they wake up.

Many were beginning to get it on the stimulus, but it went through so quickly to avoid the scrutiny of time.

This was like a bucket of cold water on the face.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 8:07 PM

INC on February 19, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Tried to link myself but lost my post somewhere. They’re having Santelli on again in a few minutes.

genso on February 19, 2009 at 8:08 PM

I’ve received 5 different emails today with the lin k to this video. It’s gone viral. Rick Santelli has become a real-life Howard Beale. I’ll bet CNBC’s ratings skyrocket now. It’s going to be hilarious to watch more people tuning in to watch Santelli than to Olbermann, Matthews, and Maddow on MSNBC.

CNBC is the only cable network I’ve watched since last summer. Occasionally NBC’s corporate liberalism creeps in, but usually there is someone there to bluntly smack it down. It’s very entertaining and very informative.

rockmom on February 19, 2009 at 8:08 PM

It’s time to march on the White House with pitchforks, torches and various other harvesting tools.

BottomLine5 on February 19, 2009 at 8:08 PM

tanmany2k on February 19, 2009 at 7:51 PM
Homeowners are people who can afford to buy their houses.
These folks – many of whom never made one single mortgage payment – are “losers”. The real owners (ie, homeowners) of these properties now are the taxpayers who are subsidizing them.

TexasJew on February 19, 2009 at 8:10 PM

highhopes on February 19, 2009 at 8:06 PM

From Eric Cantor’s Whip Blog:

House Republicans are setting up “a stimulus-watch program” that will allow watchdog groups and private citizens to report findings as contractors and agencies start spending billions of dollars on roads, schools, renewable energy projects and other initiatives, said House GOP Whip Eric Cantor of Virginia.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 8:11 PM

INC on February 19, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I saw that, too. Still, I’d like to see more of them speaking out in the media.

genso on February 19, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Santelli FOR PRESIDENT

right4life on February 19, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Guess we’ll see. Obama seems to have a stronger sense of what the nation wants right now than these talk radio shock jock demagogues these days.

DeathToMediaHacks on February 19, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Check back when Obama leaves the nation the bill.

Chuck Schick on February 19, 2009 at 8:18 PM

DeathToMediaHacks on February 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM

hahahahaha
hilarious coming the likes of you

do not let the door hit ya

Jamson64 on February 19, 2009 at 8:20 PM

genso,

I hope they’re getting geared up to do that.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Good publicity stunt for him. I heard him whine about his 401 k but did not hear him whine about socialism for Wall Street.

I see ya’ll miss my friend “DeathToMediaHacks”.

Think of us as Hot Air’s Fairness Doctrine.

getalife on February 19, 2009 at 8:24 PM

I see ya’ll miss my friend “DeathToMediaHacks”.

Think of us as Hot Air’s Fairness Doctrine.

getalife on February 19, 2009 at 8:24 PM

You continue to be an useless idiot.

genso on February 19, 2009 at 8:26 PM

There could be a Tsunami heading for the Bond Market as a result of this fiscal madness in our government, and Rick Santelli understands this.

tartan on February 19, 2009 at 8:28 PM

There’s going to be a tsunami headed to Chicago for Santelli’s tea party. That was a great segment. Even Karl whatshisname was nodding his head.

genso on February 19, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Think of us as Hot Air’s Fairness Doctrine.
getalife on February 19, 2009 at 8:24 PM

The adolescent liberal voices whose screeds are so incredibly dull that people would rather listen to Bahamian island music than listen to you?

Bishop on February 19, 2009 at 8:30 PM

I live in Chicago and after watching Santelli I can honestly say “for the first time in my life I am proud of my city”.

He nailed it.

sherry on February 19, 2009 at 8:30 PM

And one of the cruelest ironies of all is that FDR won by running to the right of Hoover.

Ann NY on February 19, 2009 at 8:31 PM

BottomLine5 on February 19, 2009 at 8:08 PM

We’re not going to have to burn snakes out of sugarcane fields, are we? If so, I’m not going.

Bishop on February 19, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Think of us as Hot Air’s Fairness Doctrine.

getalife on February 19, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Fairness Doctrine is to promote ideology, not retardation.

Chuck Schick on February 19, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Jeez, where was he when our government decided to bail out Wall Street?? Seriously, we’ve been getting screwed by both parties these last few years.

NorthernCross on February 19, 2009 at 8:34 PM

The video link hasn’t worked for me all day. Get nada when I click “play”. See it on Hannity tonight.

RepubChica on February 19, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Chuck Schick on February 19, 2009 at 8:34 PM

lmao

RepubChica on February 19, 2009 at 8:39 PM

RepubChica on February 19, 2009 at 8:38 PM

It’s probably at the end. Hit rewind, wait a few minutes and try again.

Bishop on February 19, 2009 at 8:41 PM

INC on February 19, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I hope they follow through. If the arm of the GOP that is finding its backbone by throwing the moneychangers of the McCain establishment out of the temple is to be successful they need a coherent message. Tracking and reporting back on all the corruption from the filthy liar and his party is a good first step. If the filthy liar is corrupt enough, they could well get themselves in the minority by their own greed because there is only a certain amount of this rewarding the deadbeats and unproductive that the productive will abide with before they say enough.

highhopes on February 19, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Seriously, what’s up with Drudge hyping this so hard? LOL

SouthernGent on February 19, 2009 at 8:42 PM

He’s like Joe The Plumber with a financial degree.

DarkKnight3565 on February 19, 2009 at 8:42 PM

A Chicago day trader acting like he’s one of us, how precious. Its idiots and swindlers like him that got this country in trouble. A blowhard punk trader, yeah guy, your the one I want to listen too about middle class problems. puh…..leeze.

athensboy on February 19, 2009 at 8:51 PM