CQ’s little list: The PMA 104

posted at 5:05 pm on February 19, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I already wrote one post about this earlier today, but I want the actual list to get separate attention.  CQ Politics has the 104 Representatives that cut earmarks for PMA, the lobbying firm associated most closely with John Murtha and his pork power.  More than 40 Republicans appear on this list, but Democrats dominate the top 10 in donations from PMA:

Name	       State	Party	Pork(mil)	PMA Donations
Peter Visclosky	IN	D	$23.8	        $219,000
John Murtha	PA	D	$34.1	        $143,600
James Moran	VA	D	$10.8	        $125,200
Norm Dicks	WA	D	$12.1	          $91,600
Bill Pascrell	NJ	D	$2.4	          $73,200
David Hobson	OH	R	$3.5	          $70,050
Mike Doyle	PA	D	$1.6	          $69,400
Loretta Sanchez	CA	D	$3.2	          $60,118
Tim Holden	PA	D	$3.2	          $57,275
Tim Ryan	OH	D	$3.2	          $54,250

Pete Visclosky actually got more money than Murtha, but Murtha generated the most money in pork for PMA clients.  Only David Hobson breaks the Democratic death grip on the top 10 PMA porkers — and that’s just for a single bill in 2007.  Who knows what CQ Politics — or an Army of Davids — might have found if the rules for transparency on pork had not been implemented in 2007?

Update: Sorry about the formatting problem. I’ve converted the table to text.

Update II: When I wrote “Top 10″, I meant in PMA donations.  People who received much less wrote much more in pork, in some cases.  Be sure to read all the way through the list at the link, but note the $20.4 million from Bill Young (R-FL) and $15 million in pork from Duncan Hunter (R-CA).  Between them, though, they only got a little over $17,000 in donations from PMA over the last eight years.

Comments

Big table for big pork.

lorien1973 on February 19, 2009 at 5:07 PM

The RNC needs to “Connect the DOTS !”

Not get more “Hip Hop”.

William Amos on February 19, 2009 at 5:07 PM

How about no earmarks, period, ever?

Yeah, stupid.

Bishop on February 19, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Oh no…not Duncan Hunter…
Of course Pelosi and Sanchez and Nadler…

right2bright on February 19, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Uh, check out the Republican list. Ray LaHood, Obama’s Secretary of Transportation, secured $7 million+.

amerpundit on February 19, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Torch them, regardless of party.

BuckeyeSam on February 19, 2009 at 5:18 PM

We don’t care about these little “porky projects.” Yeah, right!

bopbottle on February 19, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Now we know exactly how Murtha controls 104 other votes, and exactly which other votes he controls.

One small step for a pig; one giant step for pig-kind.

NeighborhoodCatLady on February 19, 2009 at 5:19 PM

William Amos on February 19, 2009 at 5:07 PM

But the DC-izzle has more por-izzle than anywhere-izzle, you got me, my nizzle?

lorien1973 on February 19, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Well OK then……….

………. Randy Cunningham can use the company.

Seven Percent Solution on February 19, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Ouch: Zach Wamp.

Wasn’t he going to be running for TN Gov.?

Abby Adams on February 19, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Hohohohohohohoho

Brad Sherman! Mister “Who Has a Corporate Jet!!”

rockmom on February 19, 2009 at 5:21 PM

How does this help Michelle Obama’s children? >.<

BlameAmericaLast on February 19, 2009 at 5:25 PM

My congresscritter wasn’t even smart enough to get a campaign donation.

Sue on February 19, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Working the system.

getalife on February 19, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Also Tom Tancredo, Hastert, and Shays.

amerpundit on February 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Hmm. Looking at this chart, I’m tempted to conclude that this means that Republicans are cheaper dates.

mcg on February 19, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I’m donating more to my senators. Get more business that way.

lorien1973 on February 19, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Oh, hey, our friends in Iran have enough uranium for a nuke. According to Israel? Nope. The United Freakin Nations.

amerpundit on February 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM

On the bright side, as long as our politicians are being bought by companies, they aren’t forcing us into complete public financing of their elections. There is always a bright side.

myrenovations on February 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Geeeez, what’s that smell. Rotten pork.

swede7 on February 19, 2009 at 5:40 PM

And remember, that’s just the legal donations.

topdog on February 19, 2009 at 5:41 PM

All this shows is Money talks and bullsh!t walks. Name one professional prostitute Congresscritter that refuses to take a John’s money for services rendered.

SeniorD on February 19, 2009 at 5:44 PM

CQ Politics has the 104 Representatives that cut earmarks for PMA

Shouldn’t that read secured earmarks?

clearbluesky on February 19, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Ed – I don’t get the double standard…

One moment your railing against pork, the next your railing against donations. It’s almost like your cheesed because some of the perceived quid pro quo might not really be…

Duncan earmarking for a defense contractor? SHOCKING! hahah

gatorboy on February 19, 2009 at 5:47 PM

CQ = Captain’s Quarters ?

moc23 on February 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I think I mentioned this somewhere else–there’s so much pork all over Hot Air, it’s positively greasy in here–but all you Floridians need to know that our Dem Senator, Bill Nelson, has decided to give to charity the $45,900 in contribution from Robert Allen Stanford of The Stanford Financial Group.

From Open Secrets, here are the groups and individuals who received contributions.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 6:33 PM

From Instapundit:

ABC NEWS ON fugitive financier Allen Stanford: “A video posted on the firm’s web-site shows Stanford, now sought by U.S. Marshals, being hugged by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and praised by former President Bill Clinton for helping to finance a convention-related forum and party put on by the National Democratic Institute.”

Plus, “culture of corruption?”

From that “culture of corruption” link:

I’m sorry, but as a political writer, it intrigues me that big-time financial scammers seem to show a pronounced preference for Democrats. Bernie Madoff’s political money went almost entirely Democratic, and while Stanford was a little more bipartisan, he did give the DSCC more than five times as much money than he gave to his biggest Republican beneficiary.

INC on February 19, 2009 at 7:07 PM

this is an outrage..
this isnt pork

its outright
BRIBERY of public officials for money so they can stay in power..

I want every one both sides of the isle

ARRESTED NOW or we will clean house by any means necessarry

jcila on February 19, 2009 at 7:31 PM

T-E-R-M L-I-M-I-T-S.

Star20 on February 19, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I hate pork as much as y’all but not all earmarks are pork some actually go for worthy projects. We know some of Murtha’s were rather egregious since they went to dubious companies or for projects that no one wanted or needed.

goat on February 19, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Well, my Rep. isn’t on the list. Other than Jim Moran, there was only one other VA Rep. that was on the list and he was voted out last fall. I am beginning to really appreciate my Rep more and more. So far he hasn’t gotten anything on him. Dare I hope that he is truly the man he portrays himself as being? I have voted for him for over 10 years and never been sorry.

BetseyRoss on February 19, 2009 at 8:16 PM

My boy Norm Dicks, snout in dirty trough! He’s makes me so proud…

hburns on February 19, 2009 at 8:17 PM

You guys alos need to consider that this pork is in a Defense spending bill. How much has our troops’ safety been compromised because the Pentagon is forced to put its dolllars into these worthless projects and products? How safe will our military jets and vehicles be if contracts for parts and systems are awarded based on who hired Paul Magliochetti?

rockmom on February 19, 2009 at 8:20 PM

T-E-R-M L-I-M-I-T-S.

Star20 on February 19, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I like the idea but it is a sword that cuts both ways since it removes the good and the bad. We will probably never see it though since those very folks that would get term limited would have to vote for it. We don’t have a national referendum process and I’m not sure we would would want one knowing how screwed up California’s is. It leads to mob rule and with some very bad consequences as our bloated bankrupt budget shows though it does produce some good results from time to time.

goat on February 19, 2009 at 8:21 PM

The Culture of Corruption dominates Congress and now the White House. Who would like to wager about how long it takes for Obama to get intangled in a corruption scandal? How long will it take to play out? Six months, one year, 18 months? Any bets on whether Obama will finish his first term?

BottomLine5 on February 19, 2009 at 8:25 PM

rockmom on February 19, 2009 at 8:20 PM

That is part of the point I was trying to make, some earmarks are good and needed some not so much. Like I would expect Duncan Hunter’s earmarks went to something very worthy while at the same time I am sure Pelosi’s went to someone connected to her hubby.

goat on February 19, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I was extremely saddened to see all three Utah Representatives were on that list. Thankfully the 3rd District replaced Cannon with Jason Chaffetz, but now we need to work on replacing Matheson and setting Bishop back on the right path…..

LL

Lady Logician on February 20, 2009 at 12:03 AM

I don’t know which disgusts me more about my representative, David Dreier, that he was on the list or how damn cheaply he was purchased.

DisDamnGusting