New York Congressman on chimp cartoon: “Horrific”

posted at 6:27 pm on February 18, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart, I would have preferred “atrocious,” “traumatic,” or “nauseating beyond the power of words to express,” but as hysterical overreactions go, “horrific” will do nicely. Jonathan Chait at TNR is warning his pals on the left that sometimes a monkey is just a monkey, but of course they know that already. This isn’t about genuine outrage, it’s about manufactured outrage for political advantage. Which is why we’re all going to remain “cowards” on this subject.

Note Matthews agreeing with Meeks near the end. As predictable as the sunrise. Exit question: What’s more offensive, this cartoon or describing Michael Steele as “unthreatening” and “childlike”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Why won’t the whites do what’s right? Gees, some people…

theboss on February 18, 2009 at 7:10 PM

lets see the left gave us Bushchimp for 8 years including a book and faux documentary detailing an assassination of W. Sometimes a Chimp is a chimp, cowards.

rob verdi on February 18, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Why won’t the whites do what’s right? Gees, some people…

theboss on February 18, 2009 at 7:10 PM

I’ll bare my lily white ass for a kiss if it will help.

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Al Sharpton gets taken to the woodshed for his poor zoology:

radjah shelduck on February 18, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Its ridiculous anyone would find that offensive…except for maybe PETA. Bush was depicted as a primate quite often. I don’t know about you but I have seen “white” primates. Where was the outrage then?

jbh45 on February 18, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Al Sharpton and Chris Matthew’s pointless lives are so low that all other lots they envy. Mercy and Justice scorn them both. Ignore them, look ahead and pass them by.

Tav on February 18, 2009 at 7:17 PM

izoneguy on February 18, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Tell it, man!

Tzetzes on February 18, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I’m just wondering… Who resembles the chimp more; Matthews or Meeks? I’m just trying to expand our conversation and not be a “coward.”

Star20 on February 18, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Al Sharpton can feel a chance to get publicity under forty mattresses.

Cheshire Cat on February 18, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Al Sharpton can feel a chance to get publicity under forty mattresses.

Cheshire Cat on February 18, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Al is irrelevant. Now that we have a blackman that is President, whites need to be off the hook for the actions of ancestors 5 generations ago…

jbh45 on February 18, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Don’t I reccognize that congressman from somewhere???

Oh yeah, he’s the same idiot that argued that there was no problem at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and then blamed the regulator for trying to fix something that wasn’t broken…

See the video here. Skip ahead to 0:55

Scrappy on February 18, 2009 at 7:29 PM

I find this insulting, offensive, outrageous. Might even find it horrific if that word was anywhere near correct in that usage.

It is a disgusting slur on Chimpanzees. They would have crafted a much better piece of legislation.

LegendHasIt on February 18, 2009 at 7:32 PM

All this time I thought Congress writes bills. Am I to understand that things are different now simply because we have a black President?

NorthernCross on February 18, 2009 at 7:34 PM

LegendHasIt on February 18, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a congressman can.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on February 18, 2009 at 7:36 PM

WELCOME TO BUSH’S WORLD!

Eyvonne on February 18, 2009 at 7:37 PM

eyvonne,
you have a point, make that chimp Bush or McCain and it would be cutting edge progressive dissent.

rob verdi on February 18, 2009 at 7:39 PM

You could as easily claim the cartoonist was trying to make “Obama” look like a face-ripper-offer.

Dr. Manhattan on February 18, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Its true its true Obama is a chimp.

Denniscat on February 18, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I thought Pelosi wrote the bill. And I am outraged that they would liken a rabid chimp to her. Not fair to the chimp.

rbj on February 18, 2009 at 7:47 PM

“Horrific” = (Fill in the blank)

izoneguy on February 18, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Former Black Panther co-founder, member and ex-con, Bobby Rush, “helping” to write the gun laws of this country.

Teddy on February 18, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Well, Obama’s ears are big as any chimpanzee anyways. It’s not hard to believe they’re related.

A Puzzled Mind on February 18, 2009 at 7:49 PM

*scratches head* I’m missing something in looking at the cartoon, I must not get it. *Absent* the chimp as a stand-in for Obama somehow, the cartoon makes *no* sense at all, does it?

Midas on February 18, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Oh Rob I know…its fine when the left attacks the right…the middle with President Bush….but damn! Last time I checked we still had the freedom to voice an opinion….how much long we’ll have that right…well comrades let us cut loose and voice our God given rights and opinion while we can!

Eyvonne on February 18, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I think you have to be spinning quite frantically to believe there was no racial insensitivity in this cartoon.

patriot1 on February 18, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Probably the cartoon with the monkey shot dead by police. But it’s close for sure.

crr6 on February 18, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I didn’t see anything racial about it, but at the same time I didn’t quite get the point of the cartoon either. So, how does anyone draw lines to racism over something this vague? I guess a guilty conscious would. .

cabbageheat on February 18, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Um, if we’re targeting the author of the spendulus bill; or at least the main author… how does it reference Obama?

Obviously it’s a female chimp representing Pelosi; who if I recall was the primary author.

gekkobear on February 18, 2009 at 7:58 PM

FYI…Meeks was one of the libtards who took cash from billionaire fraudster R. Allen Stanford.

flyfisher on February 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Hmmm… the cartoonist shoulda known what he was doing there.

AbaddonsReign on February 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM

“manufactured outrage for political advantage”

Thy name is the DNC

RobCon on February 18, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I guess innumeral depictions of Bush as a chimp doesn’t count.

RobCon on February 18, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Need to find that link of Matthews acting like one..

Reaps on February 18, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Lisa Lange, the hot-looking PETA chick is rightously indignant about the chimps enslavement by the human woman.

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2009 at 8:07 PM

The slam on the stimulus bill is really an attack on Pelosi, and equating Pelosi to a chimp is, of course, an insult to all chimps.

I guess the New and Improved Fairness Doctrine should include political cartoons.

The Left is expert at manufacturing racism and rage. By the time Obama is through, they will be experts at manufacturing worthless dollars and lots of inflation. And Sharpton is wasting his time with this chimp change.

EMD on February 18, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Matthews was right about one thing though, that was a “great debate.” *sarc*

Johnson on February 18, 2009 at 8:39 PM

That’s funny, I don’t remember blacks like Meeks and Eric Holder commenting on this site. http://www.bushorchimp.com/

Here’s some truth: I’m sick of affirmative action, I’m sick of commercials depicting whites as home invaders, I’m sick of government programs giving away my tax dollars to losers and parasites. Anytime you want to talk, I’m all ears, Barbados Boy.

mr1216 on February 18, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Some people SERIOUSLY need to grow up and get a life.

Militant Bibliophile on February 18, 2009 at 8:41 PM

I’m all for calling Obama a monkey. The left has invited this upon themselves for accepting and encouraging comparisons of other Presidents to monkeys. Their feigned outrage is just more evidence of their hypocrisy.

I was going to compare the next Dem president to a monkey regardless of who they elected. I’m not going to just say ‘DARN IT! They foiled my plan and elected Hussein!’.

If I did that – then I would be acting differently toward Hussein based solely on the color of his skin. I would consider that to be racist. So to me it would be racist to NOT refer to him as the Obamonkey.

Irish people have been compared to monkeys as well – but you would never know it. Apparently the black man has a monopoly on being offended for being compared to a monkey.

I’ve never heard anyone stand up and express outrage over an Irishman being compared to a monkey.

Mr Purple on February 18, 2009 at 8:41 PM

I blame Darwin.

reaganaut on February 18, 2009 at 8:52 PM

WELCOME TO BUSHS WORLD.

GREAT CALL

Streecar on February 18, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Didn’t Obama become upset over his ears being made fun of
or the little girl who thought he looked like ” Curious George” ? Bosco or bonzo are names that may insult
his extra large and distorted ego, But no ones calling him
anything but Mr. President, Barack Hussein Obama,or Barry.
A few call him “The One”, Messiah or someother silly name.

I still think the “Mr. Thug Punk” fit’s best.

Meeks. . . .What a crybaby.

Texyank on February 18, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Sometimes a monkey is just a monkey. There were poster, banner ads, desktop images and coffee mugs all portraying President Bush as a monkey. Where was the white rage? Where was PETA?

See what I mean?

cannonball on February 18, 2009 at 9:25 PM

race card

Can’t have a Democrat majority without it!

Mike OMalley on February 18, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Crocodile tears usually work when there is political gain in sight.

DL13 on February 18, 2009 at 9:29 PM

The libtards can dish it, but they can’t take it? COWARDS!

SouthernGent on February 18, 2009 at 9:31 PM

The hominin in me is outraged I tell you! Never ever degradate a chimp by insinuating its anything like Obama!

canditaylor68 on February 18, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Al is irrelevant absolutely. The only reason his name comes up at all is because Hannity and O’Reilly trot his sorry butt on the air regularly. Why I wonder.

The cartoon was definitely iffy.

I hated the way the libs called President Bush a chimp. The way they said it was not in a joking manner and it was never condemned by the MSM.

FireBlogger on February 18, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Congressman Meeks, I think you are a monkey.

WisCon on February 18, 2009 at 10:06 PM

This is also why, even if they were predisposed of making fun of Obama from the left (such as lampooning his increase of Afghan troop levels) the late night comics and their writers are crapping in their pants at even the thought of doing something to Barack even in the same neighborhood of roughness as they treated George W. Bush, because the professionally offended class like Meeks is just laying in wait to slap the racist label on anyone who is high enough profile to help them get some TV face time.

jon1979 on February 18, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Here we go with the black sympathy sh*t. WTF more do they want? Its a cartoon not intended to be taken the way they are taking it. Its they who are doing this to themselves. They are getting free houses for sh*t sakes. Get off it and fix your country.

johnnyU on February 18, 2009 at 10:08 PM

I thought once a black man became president that we could stop with all of the racist paranoia. Obama is the great uniter! We’ve overcome! We’ve reached the mountain top! Enough!

No more do we have to worry about hearing the phrase “first black whatever to do whatever…” The pinnacle has been reached. All Hail The Messiah!

In the meantime I will be at home waiting for my reparations for the suffering of my fellow Christians in Rome. It was long ago, but time doesn’t heal wounds. Just money.

cannonball on February 18, 2009 at 10:28 PM

not only did he not write the friggin thing, he didnt read the mo fo either. and another thing, that monkey in the cartoon, is he on a sidewalk or a PORCH
just wonderin

cando333 on February 18, 2009 at 10:28 PM

I think Obama and Bush have the same ears, but actually Obama’s ears are more sticky outie. Therefore I think he looks more like a chimpanzee instead of a monkey. Sort of like Curious George (the monkey, not the former president).

cannonball on February 18, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Hilarious cartoon…. not at all racist.

lexhamfox on February 18, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Hilarious cartoon…. not at all racist.

lexhamfox on February 18, 2009 at 10:32 PM

No dude, it’s when it’s racist but funny that we’ll all be allowed to breathe again.

Fortunata on February 18, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Oh please, are they really claiming that Obama WROTE the stimulus bill?

This is only racist if you think calling Reid, Pelosi and their inner sanctum are a race.

AZfederalist on February 18, 2009 at 11:02 PM

No. 1 Political Cartoon of the Year!

Take That, New Yorker!

seanrobins on February 18, 2009 at 11:21 PM

So what they’re doing is reinforcing the stereotype that blacks look like chimps by wailing and crying that the cartoon chimp looks like a black person, so the cartoon is stereotypical and racist.

That about cover it?

FlatFoot on February 18, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Well at least now we have the real reason that Ronald Reagan made Bedtime for Bonzo.

Racisssssssssssssssssssssssttttttttttttttttttttttt.

Limerick on February 19, 2009 at 12:16 AM

Why, that chimp is a dead ringer for Nancy Pelosi!

unclesmrgol on February 19, 2009 at 12:27 AM

It’s Baracky McChimp!

TexasJew on February 19, 2009 at 1:19 AM

unclesmrgol on February 19, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Racissssssssttttttttt and Sexissssssssssssssst!

Limerick on February 19, 2009 at 1:40 AM

Someone should have reviewed you before YOU WERE PUBLICATED congressman.

Borislav on February 19, 2009 at 2:24 AM

The same folks who compared Bush to a chimp for 8 years?

Piss off.

gdonovan on February 19, 2009 at 5:47 AM

Get your filthy paws off my stimulus, you damned, dirty apes!

PS: Charlton Heston is currently giving Moses tips on how he should have done it. Moses is gobsmacked. God just smiles, shakes His head and walks away.

SKYFOX on February 19, 2009 at 6:00 AM

reparations in 3 2 1 …..

shimofo on February 19, 2009 at 6:11 AM

New Commandment:

I am a noisy minority and thou shalt call me what I tell you to call me, make you suffer for insults or historical events that I alone can identify, favor my young over yours for jobs and education, and otherwise do what I tell you to do and deify and protect my leaders or I and my panderers shall make life the hot place for you right here on earth.

IlikedAUH2O on February 19, 2009 at 7:08 AM

Given that Nancy Pelosi embodies the writing of the ‘stimulus’ bill, in what way is the cartoon ‘racist’?

Paul_in_NJ on February 19, 2009 at 7:14 AM

The stupid animal who drew that cartoon should be arrested for promoting the assassination of the President.

LODGE4 on February 19, 2009 at 7:32 AM

LODGE4 — is it the ears or what that bring The One to your head?

He didn’t write the bill, for crying out loud.

IlikedAUH2O on February 19, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Hmmm, why so serious?

If the cartoon depicted cops shooting & killing a jackass then I’d be screaming racist (have you noticed how big & long the president’s ears are? they’re horrific!) But a chimp? To compare the new president to a chimp should be considered a compliment (I mean, the guy does walk upright, no?).

Plus, Al NotTooSharp should really hold off on his race mongering & white hating; that yellow streak running up his spine clashes w/ his hair-did…

alanaSimon on February 19, 2009 at 8:20 AM

How can they insult that poor chimp like that?

ObamatheMessiah on February 19, 2009 at 8:26 AM

It’s clear the bill was written by the liberal congress.

Either way, I don’t see the problem. Bush was called a chimp for 8 years. Oslime-a should be treated equally.

Bush was called a chimp because he was perceived to be stupid. Oslime-a is evil and therefore should be compared to an evil chimp. I say Oslime-a should be known as “ChimpyOThadeus”.

csdeven on February 19, 2009 at 8:43 AM

“Publicated”? Most creatively expressive. He should write laws or something. What he does? Aren’t we lucky!

Dilbertnomore on February 19, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I think the cartoon was in bad taste and was not meant to be racist or promoting the death of President Obama.
But here is my question. If we accept the idea that this was in reference to the current President, why then was it ok to refer to and depict President Bush as a chimp? Even to the point of having him killed or assassinated in movies, printed media and cartoons.

mechkiller_k on February 19, 2009 at 9:16 AM

IMO too many people are looking too hard to find racism under every rock.

While the cartoon didn’t strike me as that funny, my first reaction was that it was implying that the stimulus bill was written by monkeyees. A bunch of fools/clowns/creatures that know little. That seems like a perfectly fine description of Congress.

But I do have to wonder why we were told that all the insulting cartoons about Pres Bush depicting him as a chimp, a Nazi, Alfred E Neuman, etc were political SATIRE. Apparently Libs don’t like understand satire?

katiejane on February 19, 2009 at 9:35 AM

You can call Bush a chimp
but you can’t call Obama a chimp.

I wonder why.

TheSitRep on February 19, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Um, isn’t the monkey just a reference to the old saw that if you put enough monkeys in a room for long enough, they would write the Bible? In other words, the cartoon is implying, correctly, the stimulus package is a mismash, a random collection of words, not something well thought out or rationally connected to its supposed objective.

It’s got nothing to do with the race of the President.

Plus, what, jokes involving lower order primates are no longer allowed because someone somewhere might, with sufficient race-baiting mental gymnastics, be able to connect it with someone’s race?

Some of these people really need to obtain a life.

pussum207 on February 19, 2009 at 9:56 AM

There’s no way the cartoonist didn’t know the racist implications of his cartoon, given he’s working for the New York Post and not some Podunk paper. It’s definitely meant to push racial buttons and can’t be naively excused by claiming the cartoonist had no intent to do so. Sometimes a monkey isn’t a monkey.

starfleet_dude on February 19, 2009 at 10:33 AM

There was clear racial statements going on in the cartoon.

patriot1 on February 19, 2009 at 1:08 PM

An appropriate response:

IMO too many people are looking too hard to find racism under every rock.

katiejane on February 19, 2009 at 9:35 AM

RickZ on February 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM

sometimes a monkey is just monkey a bailout that’s gonna rip your face off

HarneyPeak on February 19, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I am so sick of this bs

the national black caucus screams racism ever time it sees anything it remotely doesnt like..

they remind me of muslims who also scream bloody murder if you even step on a god damn hammas flag..

Bull crap go get a life
then get a job
and maybe work for a living

you obviously have way too much time on your hands..

and by the way i am not a racist
just because i call it as i see it..

jcila on February 19, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Add me to the “the comic wasn’t that funny (or good) but the author was clearing alluding to the ‘infinite monkey theorem,’ not to the president” category.

Had the monkey been wearing a suit, sitting in the oval office, or accompanied by secret service agents… yeah, that’s meant to demean the president.

The monkey in this illustration was generic, not specific.

Over-reacting to things like this just serves to promulgate antiquated notions about the races. The congressman should take a chill pill.

Y-not on February 19, 2009 at 3:30 PM

What a waste of perfectly good air.

Driefromseattle on February 19, 2009 at 5:36 PM

izoneguy= Right on!

Driefromseattle on February 19, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Potus 44 effortlessly slights another foreign ally.

Obama was glad enough to PUBLICLY carry his Hanuman trinket idol in his pocket and accept a life size Hanuman idol from India Hindu Priests during his POTUS campaign.

Having accepted their prayers and fasting on his behalf for victory, Hope’nChange now insults India by denigrating EVERY monkey reference as BAD.

maverick muse on February 19, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Where did Obama put that life size Hanuman statue delivered to him, anyway?

maverick muse on February 19, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I’m just wondering… Who resembles the chimp more
Star20 on February 18, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Above the waist: toss-up.

Below the waist: can’t tell (’cause Matthews doesn’t take his hands out of his pants long enough to get a good look)

Y-not on February 19, 2009 at 7:32 PM

If you can’t take the heat go back to Chicago. You’re in the big leagues now, street hustler.

MaiDee on February 19, 2009 at 7:43 PM

where can I get a subscription to the NY Post?

congma on February 19, 2009 at 7:49 PM