Alaska officials: Palin owes back taxes

posted at 5:44 pm on February 18, 2009 by Allahpundit

Good news: She’s officially qualified to serve in Obama’s cabinet.

Gov. Sarah Palin must pay income taxes on thousands of dollars in expense money she received while living at her Wasilla home, under a new determination by state officials.

The governor’s office wouldn’t say this week how much she owes in back taxes for meal money, or whether she intends to continue to receive the per diem allowance. As of December, she was still charging the state for meals and incidentals…

“Last fall we raised questions about longstanding practices within the Department of Administration regarding tax treatment of per diem payments,” Kreitzer wrote in an exchange of e-mails over the past few days with the Daily News.

“At the Governor’s request, we reviewed the situation to determine whether we were in full compliance with the pertinent Internal Revenue Service regulations,” [state administration commissioner Annette] Kreitzer wrote. “As a result of this review, we determined that per diem needs to be treated as income, requiring a revision of W-2 forms for any affected employees.”

Remember when WaPo broke the per diem story last fall? It was 10 days after McCain picked her, during the momentary lull between the media obsessing about Bristol Palin’s pregnancy and the media obsessing about Palin’s tanning bed. Team Maverick defended her for billing the state for nights away from Juneau spent in her own home in Wasilla, but the practice was sufficiently unusual that she evidently opted for full transparency and ordered a state review. Shrewd move: As embarrassing as it is to have this come out so soon after Geithner and Daschle, it would have been more embarrassing still to have it come up again in a future primary.

Exit question: Is Jerry Taylor the conservative movement’s newest persona non grata?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Palin couldnt write a piece like that…hell, she probably couldnt READ a piece like that.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Palin has written op-eds for the New York Times, genius.

Jim62sch on February 18, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Its not Palin’s fault, but the financial meltdown made any benefit she gave to McCain seem miniscule compared to what a VP with economic experience would have brought.

Speedwagon82 on February 18, 2009 at 10:18 PM

What the heck does a VP candidate with “economic experience” do when the man on the top of the ticket has absolutely no knowledge of economics, suspends his campaign to “solve the problem,” flies to D.C. and votes with the dem candidate on the issue?

joey24007 on February 18, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Anyone think that this “The Wall” person is going to last around here until March? At this rate, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gone by the weekend – and missed by no one but a few left trolls who enjoy any misery on the right.

CK MacLeod on February 18, 2009 at 10:21 PM

I just read that article about the car accident. Sounds like it was a consensus that a drunk catholic priest caused the accident. You really are a piece of trash, arent you??

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Thats just it Mr THE WALL. It doesn’t have to be true. The media would have spun it into a “George Romney Sr. paid off the french investigators”, or “Romeny did not have his blood alcohol level checked, so rumors of his sobriety at the time of the crash can’t be substantiated”. All the media needs is innuendo, circumstancial evidence, a phony wittiness. Perception is reality in world of politics.

You do to Sarah Palin what I just proved could be done to Mitt Romney. Both are good people. Both have baggage. Either would have been good VPs.

portlandon on February 18, 2009 at 10:22 PM

To all there was a WaPo article today that was a hit piece but they did get one thing right. Gov. Palin has the “IT” factor which no other GOPer has.

Clyde5445 on February 18, 2009 at 10:23 PM

McCain/Palin wouldve lost no matter what, imo. People were not comfortable with Palin…I certainly wasnt. The independents turned on McCain when he brought in Palin. After her successful speech at the convention, people found out how utterly unqualifed she was.

The economic turmoil wouldve played right into Romney’s strength…the economy. But McCain or Palin couldnt even articulate a plan. That would be like me give a lecture on Russian History in the 14th century or something.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Gov. Palin has the “IT” factor which no other GOPer has.

Oh, she has the “IT” factor does she? I suggest that only a relatively small segment thinks she has the “IT” factor. The majority of people felt she had the “**IT” factor instead.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Perhaps I am an outlier, but I don’t WANT a super-smart president…. These people tend to come with healthy egos, and generally are less willing to allow for other opinions, even within the same ideological framework.

For president, I want someone who has a good set of conservative principles, and is a goon manager of people. People get wrapped up in the President as an individual, but the Executive Office is much more than one person. Presidents, in general, should be managers and a SPOKESPERSON for the Executive office, with the policy specifics coming from the cabinet and advisors, who should be the EXPERTS in their fields. A President who has a PHd in Economics is less likely to admit they are wrong in a certain area, and accept input from colleagues. It’s all about EGO with these people.

I think the number one qualification for President, for ME, is a good core set of conservative principles (Limited Govt, Fiscally responsible, Pro-Constitution, Pro-Defense, Pro-Liberty), and for that person to be a Great Manager and Leader of people.

BPD on February 18, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Wall, I was and am a Romney supporter and worked hard for him during his campaign and wanted him to get tapped for the VP slot. I was also a fan of Sarah Palin before she even came on the scene and cheered when she got tapped for the VP slot. Last time I took one of those IQ tests I scored well over 140 but I am just a dirty bitter clinger in your elitist view. McCain lost the election because he was completely incoherent on the economic message and refused to talk about who and what really caused it. Sarah had nothing to do with McCain’s failure if anything she kept it from being an even bigger blowout than it was.

goat on February 18, 2009 at 10:27 PM

goat on February 18, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I actually agree with you more than I disagree with you. McCain was the main problem. I am picking on Palin because the Palin worshippers are here sticking up for their favorite tax cheat. If the topic had been McCain, I wouldve stuck with him. I agree….McCain was a MUCH bigger problem than Palin.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Speedwagon82 on February 18, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Nope. Romney would have just been painted as another one of the rich fat cats that made this happen to America. This is what the media would have painted him as, and I am certain you know that already.

There isn’t a bailout or anything else that will get us out of this mess. What will get us out is hard working average Americans that will push through this. This is what Sarah Palin represents. The woman has worked her way up from a waitress to a governor to a candidate for the second highest office in the our country.

kcarpenter on February 18, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Perhaps I am an outlier, but I don’t WANT a super-smart president….

Well, there you go. Did you vote for Huckabee or McCain in the primary? HA HA HA HA!!!

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:30 PM

The economic turmoil wouldve played right into Romney’s strength…the economy.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Oh yeah. Do you remember September-November 2008? It was non stop “K-Street kills Main Street”, “Wall Street Greed”,
“Corperate greed & scandal” that they were chanting. The electorate wanted public hangings on Wall St.

So McCain would have chosen Mitt Romney and the media would have crucified McCain. “Romney, a Wall Street Insider”, or “Romney, who has closed factories and fired thousands”, “Romney, the multi-millionaire wall street insider”. It was not a good year to be a coprerate head of anything, let alone have a big rich one on your Presidential ticket. It would have been a bigger loss than McCain/Palin.

portlandon on February 18, 2009 at 10:31 PM

joey24007 on February 18, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Too bad we’ll never know how things turned out if Mccain had voted against the Crap Sandwich that 70-80% of the public was against.

And to anyone who thinks Palin cost Mccain votes…. LOL. Remember the two weeks after Palin was announced… Mccain had a healthy lead, and the generic congressional polls show Republicans surging nationwide… they were talking about Palin’s coattails, and all the Republican congressmen were competing for her to have joint rallies with them…. then came the financial disaster and EVERYBODY WITH AN (R) NEXT TO THEIR NAME TOOK A BATH IN THE POLLS. The Republican brand became highly toxic. It had nothing to do with Palin…

BPD on February 18, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Gov. Palin has the “IT” factor which no other GOPer has.

portlandon on February 18, 2009 at 10:33 PM

BPD on February 18, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Even President Clinton said that Palin was giving McCain the lead and then Lehman happened

game over

joey24007 on February 18, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Meanwhile, the “the flute-playing, tax-cheating beauty queen embarrassment” somehow continues to do her job as well as any governor. http://www.adn.com/news/government/legislature/story/694693.html

Erich66 on February 18, 2009 at 10:34 PM

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Neither… I thought both sucked, so I voted for Hillary as part of operation chaos.

BPD on February 18, 2009 at 10:35 PM

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Palin did not cheat on her taxes, she had questions about the technicalities asked for clarification and then paid what she owed. That is not cheating on you taxes.

goat on February 18, 2009 at 10:36 PM

portlandon on February 18, 2009 at 10:33 PM

which no governor in the history of American politics ever had when running for President

EVER

in 1977 Buckey was still tell Reagan that “conservatives” were concerned that “he would not wrap his mind around foreign policy”

See … it works like this, if you are a complete dolt in the Senate for 30 years you suddenly have “foreign policy experience”

and what is “foreign policy experience?” Is there a point system

It reminds me of Bobby Knight’s “game face” press conference

joey24007 on February 18, 2009 at 10:36 PM

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:29 PM

So…. taking your W-2′s, that your employer botched, to H&R Block qualifies one as a tax cheat?

BPD on February 18, 2009 at 10:37 PM

game over

joey24007 on February 18, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Thank you for bringing that up. After all, Clinton never ever ever lies for political purposes. It is an established fact that you count on whatever Clinton says and take it to the bank. You win…game over.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Is she bucking for a position in obama’s cabinet?

jukin on February 18, 2009 at 10:40 PM

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Is the name “The Wall” similar to the construction of your brain?

Bricks

joey24007 on February 18, 2009 at 10:40 PM

that was weak dude

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:41 PM

“long standing standing practices” and “at the governors request” sort of sums it up then, doesn’t it? Thank you Governor Palin for standing up to what is right!!!!

allrsn on February 18, 2009 at 10:42 PM

BPD on February 18, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I voted Romney in the Ca primary but if I lived in one of the states that voted after Romney stepped back I would have joined operation chaos.

goat on February 18, 2009 at 10:44 PM

and what is “foreign policy experience?” Is there a point system

joey24007 on February 18, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Joey, your 100% about that. Vice President Joe Biden (God I hate saying that) was on the Foreign intelligence committee for YEARS and is the dumbest person on foreign policy to ever hold his office. I trust Palin’s judgment on foreign policy over Uncle Joe’s ANY DAY HANDS DOWN.

portlandon on February 18, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Wall, you need to take back your lie that Palin cheated on her taxes when she clearly did NOT. She had a question asked for a determination and then paid what she owed.

goat on February 18, 2009 at 10:46 PM

that was weak dude

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:41 PM

you have about a week left before you are banned

enjoy your troll life while you have it

joey24007 on February 18, 2009 at 10:47 PM

joey24007 on February 18, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Yeah quite a few new ones around aren’t there

goat on February 18, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Joey, I’m not saying McCain would have won, but he would have done better. Probably not lost North Carolina.

Speedwagon82 on February 18, 2009 at 10:52 PM

portlandon on February 18, 2009 at 10:45 PM

I think the whole foreign policy experience issue is a bit stupid…. The only person that REALLY has the right experience is an incumbent President or Vice-President or perhaps former Secretary of State/Defense…. but just perhaps….

In reality, like I mentioned before, what is important to me is that you surround yourself with competent advisors, and have core principals (Pro-America, Pro-Defense, Pro-Military, Anti-Terrorists, Pro Defender of Freedom, Pro-Trade, and Pro “Be cool, and we’ll be cool, but eff with us and you die”)

BPD on February 18, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Speedwagon82 on February 18, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Mac wins North Carolina with Romney?

I diagree

I voted for Romney in the primaries so I am not anti-Romney

but North Carolina was just set up for Obama in 2008, Romney offered nothing there

joey24007 on February 18, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Well anyway….enough of that.

Not trying to piss anybody off. I am still angry about the election.

I have voted republican all my life and will probably continue to do so…although I would vote democrat before Huckabee.

But this primary process was brutal for me. We picked the (2nd) worst republican that I can even think of. A guy who has spit in the faces of conservatives for 20 years running as a “conservative” and winning elections. He teamed up with Huckabee knowing damn well what he was doing…freezing out the better candidate. Its not cheating…but it is only a half-step away from it….lying about iraqi war timetables…pulease.

I doubt Romney will run again and I hope he doesnt. He is unelectable. The libs will attack him for his successful business career. Grown ups understand that people who run businesses have to deal with lay-offs….libs might not understand that but grown ups understand that. and yes, even McCain threw that in his face.

Like I said, I hope he doesnt run again and I am pretty sure he wont…he knows he is unelectable. The party he belongs to has a significant portion that would never vote for somebody who goes to the church he goes to….God knows why.

So, I am stuck sniping at the dems and I feel like I have no home. But, hey, that life dudes.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Good news: She’s officially qualified to serve in Obama’s cabinet.

Allah: Why would you lump Palin in with people who deliberately lied and cheated on their taxes? Palin didn’t do anyting wrong. She asked for the clarificationa and got it! Really shouldn’t it have read AK makes mistake on worker’s W2s?

CCRWM on February 18, 2009 at 11:01 PM

The only advantage McCain had over Romney was military experience. And by November, even that was savaged by the Democrat controlled media. They declared being a POW was cowardly.

You say Romney is stiff? McCain was a friggin scarecrow compared to Romney. He was just too old and feeble to campaign most of the time.

You say Romney flip flops? McCain couldn’t keep from flubbing up in a single speech or debate.

Speedwagon82 on February 18, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Two phrases that sum up the Mccain campaign:

” I am suspending my campaign!”

“My fellow prisoners…”

BPD on February 18, 2009 at 11:05 PM

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:57 PM

You and me both bro. Huckabee makes my skin crawl. He does play a nice bass guitar though.

portlandon on February 18, 2009 at 11:08 PM

It boils down to the fact that McCain was nominated by indies and dems voting for him in the open primaries and then bolting once he was in. They knew he was the worst person we could nominate because the base really does not like him and would not work hard for him. I was going to sit on my hands unless he tapped Romney but was almost as thrilled with Palin. McCain as I predicted early on would get painted as a senile old fool and I was right even though I tried to find the bright side.

The only solution to not ending up with another McCain is to close our primaries to party members only and I hope Steele does that. That is something we should be pressing him on instead of badgering him over the turncoat trio.

goat on February 18, 2009 at 11:08 PM

This is awesome! God I love seeing how some of you people fear this woman. You worry, fret and wring your hands. Meanwhile the genius you elected continues to punt his policies into the stands, the congress you elected is a national joke, and overall our government has no concern about completely ignoring the “people.” Per Diem payments are so much more important. This country deserves what it is going to get.

gator70 on February 18, 2009 at 11:09 PM

goat on February 18, 2009 at 11:08 PM

I totally agree with that. McCain used the open primary TWICE to win New Hampshire. And screw Iowa. Why do these geeky states get so much say anyway?

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:11 PM

I agree 100% Goat….. We need CLOSED PRIMARIES…. Obama will most likely run unopposed in the Dem Primary…. which means what happened in 2008 will be a cakewalk in comparison…. The Dems will decide our nominee in 2012 with open primaries.

BPD on February 18, 2009 at 11:13 PM

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:11 PM

So are you going to apologize for saying Palin is a tax cheat when clearly she is not?

goat on February 18, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Goat,

She is charging a per diem for living in her house. I dont know what you call that…but it is weak no matter what you call it. Yeah, she probably is a tax cheat…

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:24 PM

The economic turmoil wouldve played right into Romney’s strength…the economy.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM

LOL, right. At a time when the business world’s name was mud, we could’ve run Mr. CEO Personified.

Yeah, she probably is a tax cheat…

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Well, the Palin’s then should be a lot wealthier than they are now in that case.

ddrintn on February 18, 2009 at 11:26 PM

BPD on February 18, 2009 at 11:13 PM

The GOP primaries in Ca are closed and at my polling station I heard one woman complaining loudly that she couldn’t vote in it. She wanted to vote against Romney because he posed the biggest threat to Obama. She knew Obama had Ca locked up and wanted to screw around with ours. Kudos to our poll worker that flat out said no.

goat on February 18, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Here’s a link to Gov Palin’s per diem and travel expenses for Nov & Dec. Small potatoes for a governor. I’d be interested to see how it stacks up against the other 49 governors.

takeamericabackin10 on February 18, 2009 at 11:31 PM

The independents turned on McCain when he brought in Palin.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Oh, so that explains why McCain was leading in the polls when Lehman Brothers collapsed. I was wondering about that.

BPD on February 18, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Quite right.

ddrintn on February 18, 2009 at 11:31 PM

takeamericabackin10 on February 18, 2009 at 11:32 PM

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:24 PM

She paid due taxes so how is that cheating? She could charge a lot more to the taxpayers of Alaska if she lived in a motel in Juneau in the Canadian panhandle instead of just outside of Anchorage in the center of Alaska.

goat on February 18, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Why is this embarrassing? The state decided just now that she needs to pay these taxes and would have to revise its forms in order to reflect this.

Phoenician on February 18, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Why do these geeky states get so much say anyway?

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:11 PM

It’s not as if non-geeky states like CA and NY have shown impeccable taste.

ddrintn on February 18, 2009 at 11:38 PM

takeamericabackin10 on February 18, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Our Gov. Arnold commutes back and forth between LA and Sacramento almost everyday on a private jet and blabbers about global warming. I don’t know if he charges that to his expense account or not but he is hypocrite in chief.

goat on February 18, 2009 at 11:39 PM

It looks like Gov. Palin is a true fiscal conservative that actually understands economics.

To portlandon: How about you spare me with your condescending comments “I hate that phrase. Thats good if you are on American Idol, but spare us the Hollywood rhetoric WaPo. She doesn’t need “It”, she needs foreign policy experience.” The It factor=Charisma and Gov. Palin has IT.

Clyde5445 on February 18, 2009 at 11:44 PM

As an Alaskan, I happen to know that she costs us far less when she lives in her own house and commutes to Anchorage for business than if she lives in the governor’s mansion in Juneau and has all expenses paid. She is more accessible to the people of the state when she is in Anchorage (Juneau is only accessible by airplane or boat – there are no roads from the rest of Alaska to our capitol). Because she has decided to charge our state far less for her services than previous governors, the state did not calculate her taxes correctly. At her request, she had the state look into the tax issue so she could make sure everything was on the up-and-up. This is a good example of why we love her up here – and why Alaska is not nearly so easy to pinpoint as other states.

shirk on February 18, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Why is the tax code is so HUGE and confusing? When anyone is audited, the government wins, (The government owns the courts you are fighting in, they make money all the way around).

upcountrywater on February 18, 2009 at 11:46 PM

You guys are nuts. Palin cost McCain the independent vote. Sorry you dont read the paper. I mean I love Fox News as well…but give me a break. It is common knowledge that Palin COST McCain votes because of the independent vote. Yes, she fired up the base, but McCain needed to do that triangulation thing to win the GENERAL election and there would be no triangulation with Palin not knowing what a newspaper is.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Yeah, she is a true fiscal conservative that wants stimulus money…unlike a good republican like in Louisiana…and she believe in cap n trade programs and that wall street GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED caused the economic problem.

Yeah, a real genius there. You betcha.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:52 PM

goat on February 18, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Same thing with My Gov (Pawlenty). He’s another global warming freak. Where was the outrage when he was flying to New York every weekend after the election trying to position himself for a possible run in ’12. Who was paying for that?

This is why I don’t think Palin will seek re-relection. She’s the most scrutinized person on Earth. She’ll make a ton of money writing books and hosting a talk show while preparing for a run in ’16.

takeamericabackin10 on February 19, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Sorry you dont read the paper.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:50 PM

What paper? And what makes whatever paper you read the truth? Surely the papers don’t have *gasp* an agenda…?

Now, imagine the Mondale-like electoral slaughter we would have seen if McCain had chosen, oh, Lieberman or Pawlenty.

McCain didn’t have a chance after the “financial crisis”. Before that, Palin offered him the only chance he had. That’s common knowledge.

ddrintn on February 19, 2009 at 12:02 AM

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Whadda ya say, folks? Astroturfer? ;)

ddrintn on February 19, 2009 at 12:05 AM

To The Wall: Gov. Palin doesn’t want or need stimulus money. Get you facts straight dufus. Gov. Palin is however asking for intergovernmental funds as all states get in the normal appropriations process and not a cent more.

Clyde5445 on February 19, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Wall, why do you insist on being a complete ignorant tool? I realize you’re bitter your boy didn’t get the nomination, but give it a rest. There’s two links above showing Palin just slashed the budget in AK close to a half billion dollars today. That’s called fiscal conservatism, not greed.

Erich66 on February 19, 2009 at 12:05 AM

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Hey, moron – it was Palin’s job to fire up the base. It was freaking McCain’s job to get the middle, with his lame reach-across-the-aisle schtick. So who failed – McCain or Palin?

Jim62sch on February 19, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Well, that was McCain’s line. She had to be a trooper at times as well. She was the VP candidate.

ddrintn on February 19, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Yeah, she probably is a tax cheat…

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Hmmmm, what is 42,0000 + 148,0000 + 133,000 = 2x the amount the GOP paid for Palin’s wardrobe.

The answer, what is Charle Rangels Back Taxes
What is the Ruler of the IRS UNPAID Taxes
What is the failed HHS secretary UNPAID Taxes

Funny, how the wall-e guy is appaled at Sarah for 3 months back taxes yet Charlie and Company had well over 6 years for 100x amount what she owed….Wall-E – Your a Dope!

will sass u on February 19, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Palin is the ONLY reason Mcsame got 46% of the vote!

will sass u on February 19, 2009 at 12:08 AM

I hear Sebelus “Tax Return Keeper” is heading to Washington….they must be wanting to close the Deficit from her unpaid Taxes!

will sass u on February 19, 2009 at 12:09 AM

She is charging a per diem for living in her house.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Nope, she’s never claimed any lodging per diem for living in her house. She’s only asked per diem for meals when working out of Anchorage. Get your facts straight.

Jim62sch on February 19, 2009 at 12:09 AM

How bout McCain + Senator “Voted for Porkulous” Leiberman

He ain’t too Conservative now is he…more moderately liberal

will sass u on February 19, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Yeah, a real genius there. You betcha.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:52 PM

She never said she want’s the stimulus money. She’s been on record several times opposing the bill.

There’s verbage in the bill preventing states from refusing the money. This may prove to be unconstitutional, but the verbage is in there…so it’s easy for Jindal to SAY he doesn’t want it. He’s going to end up taking it anyway. I don’t think he specifically stated he would turn it down. His statement was much like Palin’s.

“We’ll have to review each program, each new dollar to make sure that we understand what are the conditions, what are the strings and see whether it’s beneficial for Louisiana to use those dollars,” Jindal said, according to CBS affiliate WWLTV.”

Wall, please get your facts straight before posting. Your making this stuff up….

takeamericabackin10 on February 19, 2009 at 12:11 AM

She is charging a per diem for living in her house.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Libs don’t follow facts or they would have been opposed to the Govt determining when to kill old people gracefully was a bad idea in the Stimulus!

will sass u on February 19, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Palin is the ONLY reason Mcsame got 46% of the vote!

will sass u on February 19, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Yeah, true. Considering McCain’s spineless campaign style and his addled approach to TARP, it’s a wonder he got more than 30% of the popular vote.

ddrintn on February 19, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Anyone know why obambi didn’t bring his scalpel to Denver to cut the pork

“Line by Line”

will sass u on February 19, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Death to RINOS and moderates…out of the party…we are rebuilding1

will sass u on February 19, 2009 at 12:13 AM

takeamericabackin10 on February 19, 2009 at 12:11 AM

“I’ve voted Republican all my life, and I consider myself a good solid conservative. But this ignorant beauty-contestant idiot Palin is ruining everything.”

Stuff of that sort. Sets off the b.s. meter, to say the least.

ddrintn on February 19, 2009 at 12:14 AM

She is charging a per diem for living in her house.

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Jim62sch on February 19, 2009 at 12:09 AM

The Wall no doubt read it in the paper.

ddrintn on February 19, 2009 at 12:15 AM

The Wall on February 18, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Whadda ya say, folks? Astroturfer? ;)

ddrintn on February 19, 2009 at 12:05 AM

As… something.

I guess he’s a new registrant under the illusion that he’s on to something most of us were already bored with arguing months ago. Whatever the explanation, he sure does love the look of his posts, and sure doesn’t seem to have much interest in making friends and influencing people.

Lots of people think they’re conservatives, and think that they’d like to help the Republican Party, but spend a lot more of their time tearing conservatives and Republicans down than doing anything useful.

CK MacLeod on February 19, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Whadda ya say, folks? Astroturfer? ;)

ddrintn on February 19, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Nah, doesn’t quite fit the profile, just a nut case unhappy when it doesn’t get its way and then lashes out at others when they disagree.

goat on February 19, 2009 at 12:22 AM

ROFLMAO!!! This says it all about Palin Supporters:

“Perhaps I am an outlier, but I don’t WANT a super-smart president”

For the record I do not think Obama is any more intelligent than any other lawyer. He is a proven economic illiterate.

Poptech on February 19, 2009 at 12:36 AM

CK MacLeod on February 19, 2009 at 12:19 AM

I agree, I’ve been here for quite a while and yes he is a newbie that needs to learn the ropes. We agree and disagree here on a daily basis and have loads of fun bashing the trolls but the one thing someone claiming to be a conservative or life long republican needs to clear on is not to look down their nose at people that disagree with them.

goat on February 19, 2009 at 12:38 AM

I will support Sarah Palin to the bitter end, but not at the expense of AP. Not going to shoot the messenger. At least not this one.

With that being said, I can’t shake this nagging feeling that when its all said and done in 2012, the GOP will have nominated another Dole/McCain type candidate. The GOP has an aversion to fighters.

Sammy316 on February 19, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Nah dudes. I agree with most of what you guys say….but you dont want an echo chamber do you?

Yes, I prefer Palin to McCain. But, I dont think Palin is that great either. You cant tell me that deep in your heart that you think that she is cut out to go toe to toe with Putin or wall street or whatever. It aint all like Alaska.

And for the record, I am not a newbie. I am a resurrected formerly dead poster who got banned. But dont tell anybody though. I will be good…I promise. :)

The Wall on February 19, 2009 at 12:48 AM

CK MacLeod on February 19, 2009 at 12:19 AM

That is because many people, usually social conservatives don’t understand that “conservative” does not mean religious right. There are fiscal conservatives such as myself who are effectively conservative libertarians. The hijacking of the word “conservative” to mean only christian conservatives is a long tired tactic. The Republican party is full of fiscal conservatives who’s priorities are limited government and liberty. Not the remaking of the United States under the rule of the bible.

Poptech on February 19, 2009 at 12:50 AM

see what I mean? I agree with that. The religious right doesnt help us in the general but you have to kiss their asses in the primaries and it is going to make it tough in the future.

The Wall on February 19, 2009 at 12:52 AM

The Wall on February 19, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Kissing their asses got us Huckabee. So much for compromise! I wonder how many of them would rather see Rudy in their than Obama now. They don’t want to compromise – they want the new religious leader. Palin is PRO-LIFE and that is all that matters. They fall for populist candidates all the time which is why their obsession with Palin, she is NOT a fiscal conservative, doesn’t understand economics and is absolutely unqualified to be VP or POTUS. But none of that matters because she is PRO-LIFE. Sure, they will parrot the populist talking points about her but her interview embarrassments said it all – she does not know what she is talking about and is absolutely unqualified.

Poptech on February 19, 2009 at 12:58 AM

The Wall on February 19, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Then don’t act like an elitist know it all claiming Palin supporters are all brain dead rednecks. I am a bitter gun and Bible clinging redneck that is far from being brain dead. From your previous posts I seem to be much better informed than you are with all the blatant lies you have spewed about Palin. Are you going to apoligize for them or stand on your soapbox as an easy target for the those of us that support her?

goat on February 19, 2009 at 1:00 AM

she is NOT a fiscal conservative, doesn’t understand economics

Well ok, for the third flippin’ time now, today Palin cut a half-billion dollars from the state budget so that AK will have a balanced budget this year. Of course, never let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

Erich66 on February 19, 2009 at 1:06 AM

Poptech on February 19, 2009 at 12:58 AM

You are clearly one of the ignorant that doesn’t understand that Palin is a fiscal conservative reformer. Her state is one of the very few that is in the black with a substantial rainy day fund. She does not govern as a social conservative but as a solid fiscal manager of governmental policy battling corruption and waste. That is why we love her, the fact that she is also a walking example of social conservatism is a side benefit.

goat on February 19, 2009 at 1:09 AM

This is funny I am a newbie to the comment section and I can spot the trolls a mile a way. The Wall and Poptech were way to ease to spot. Oh by the way Poptech (Popgun) Gov. Palin is a Fiscal conservative. see above. Gov. Palin cut 500 million From the state budget. What do you call that chump change.

Clyde5445 on February 19, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Erich66 on February 19, 2009 at 1:06 AM

Some folks have a problem when facts slap them upside the head, they have no clue as to who Sarah is so they make sh*t up. I don’t understand why at all.

goat on February 19, 2009 at 1:14 AM

Poptech on February 19, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Yeah, unfortunately, I agree with that. The crap that she spewed during the campaign and “you gosh darn betcha that greed was part of why we have this credit crisis” was enough to make an intelligent conservative barf.

And I was rooting for her too.

The Wall on February 19, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Clyde5445 on February 19, 2009 at 1:13 AM

A troll = somebody that has a more informed opinion than Clod5445

The Wall on February 19, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Clyde5445 on February 19, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Welcome to Hot Air.

goat on February 19, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Palin endorsed earmarks:

Palin’s Project List Totals $453 Million (The Wall Street Journal)

Poptech on February 19, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Oh thanks now I feel welcomed

Clyde5445 on February 19, 2009 at 1:18 AM

goat on February 19, 2009 at 1:14 AM

It’s futile, like dealing with a child in a toy store whose mother just told him “not today”

Erich66 on February 19, 2009 at 1:19 AM